Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Silhouette

Comments

• scorpio007scorpio007 Member Posts: 19
    My Driver Information Centre on my 2000 Olds Silo seems to be giving me inaccurate MPH / KPH readings.

Symptoms: Once a speed threshold is achieved, the display DOES NOT change.. for minutes at a time.

For example : If I am doing 60 MPH..... display will show that, however, will not refresh to my new speed. If I slow down, speed up..... nothing.
    Still shows 60 MPH.

Resetting will correct the problem.... but once again, once a reading is displayed, it just stays there.

All other functions appear to be working as they should.

There have been NO electrical problem with this vehicle. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Any ideas??

R.
  • shanersshaners Member Posts: 14
    I had a '98 GLS and it was a great van. It was serviced under warranty only one time in 2 1/2 years for a burnt out foglamp. I took a 1500 mile trip in it and left the trip computer running all the way without resetting it and averaged 26.5 mpg's with the wife and 3 kids in it A/C on 50% of the time. I drove from 60 miles north of Pittsburgh PA to Columbia SC on my first tank on this trip.

My '00 "Premier" was not a good van though. So I got rid of it with 9K on it.

As far as the +1 wheel upgrade, the '02 Silhouette's have 16" wheels on them, so I'm sure you can put aftermarket rims on it with the same size tire/rim combo as the '02 and not effect the speedo too much.
  • dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    Thanks Shaners for your encouraging word on the '98 version. Too bad on your '00. As you probably are aware, GM vans from '97-02 are mechanically very similar, suprised that your van gave you trouble.

Regarding the wheel upgrade, a +1 or +2 (2 not recommended on a van) generally the diameter of the tires does not change, just the rim gets a inch larger and the tires are lower-aspect ratio (or series), so you can go from a 75 aspect ratio to say a 50, 55 or 60 series and keep the same gearing, etc. The advantage of this is the rim is stiffer than the sidewall and you get better steering response and cornering can be better, as more of the tread stays flat on the road.

Figuring out financing today. May pick it up tonight.

dd
  • gordbertgordbert Member Posts: 9
    Scorpio007, the speed indicated in the Drivers Information Center is the average speed. If I remember it correctly, the computer accumulates data starting at the point of resetting the DIC. It then averages all the readings and display it. So, if the speed does not move, then most likely there are so many data points that even significant changes in speed will not cause the average to change noticeably. The same is true for average fuel economy display.

The GM system is unlike my 87 Audi 5000S where the computer only maintains the most current set of data points... not sure I remember how many.
    Looked again at the van tonight, gave a deposit.

Guy selling only had a key, not the alarm/door lock fob. '98's had the fob, right? I guess I'll call the dealer and see how much to reprogram it and buy one.

The inside of the door handles on the drivers side had a very significant amount of paint chipped off of them, like it was roughly treated but the rest of the van was decent condition. Is this a normal wear point? I guess I will have to look it over closer before we get it.

DD
  • letsgetmikeyletsgetmikey Member Posts: 82
    My previous Silo had water coming out of the overhead console, and it was rain water coming around the windshield seal. Had the winshield resealed, and it solved that problem...

Mikey
  • mike2002conmike2002con Member Posts: 1
    We've begun to shop for a mini van. We had a 96 Transport which we replace with a 91 Astro when we needed to cut back on our spending. We miss the Transport for a number of reasons. In researching the Silo, etc. we wonder how easy it is to get kids, etc. into the 3rd row of seats. Our Transport required "lifting" the 3nd row bucket closest to the door. At lease the Astro allows the kids to slide directly into the 3rd row. How do you folks find the various seating arrangements working for you?
  • jrdwyerjrdwyer Member Posts: 168
    We have the 01 Silo GL with 4 captains chairs and a rear bench. We like this setup as the captians chairs are a better quality chair than the bench seats and are thus more comfortable, especially for adults. Access between the captains chairs to the rear bench is fair to good. Fair if you are 6' 5" and 250, good if you are a small adult or child. The two drawbacks of the captains chairs are that they weigh more and are more difficult to remove and they don't offer the maximum seating capacity of 8 that one could get with two rows of benches.
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Member Posts: 274
    Our Venture has 2-2-3 split bench seating. Getting into the third row is a non-issue. We also looked at 2-3-3 seating, but declined it because of the need to tilt second row seats to access the third row.
  • hardestyhardesty Member Posts: 166
    The wife told me to take the van to work after lunch today. Before I looked out the window, 4" of snow had covered the roads. On the way home is a 1/4 mile, 15% grade (2 lanes, twisty). Traffic was stopped 1/3 of the way up the hill for about 6 2WD cars and trucks that had decided to take a rest on the shoulders of the road. So, here I am stopped on a 15% grade for about 20 minutes with major snow falling. After about a dozen hardy souls pushed some cars, trucks, and vans aside, I slowly apply the gas and the front wheels slip slightly, then the AWD system kicks in and the van just starts walking up the hill exactly where I point it. I weave my way between stuck vehicles, a Volvo wagon and Subaru ahead of me. This 2002 Silhouette AWD, the biggest vehicle going up the hill, had no problem at all. Home, safe and sound, CA license "BYE OLDS" showing to the 4WD pickup behind me.
    Picked up my 98 van today from a dealer. Its GLS so it has everything, 62k miles on the clock. Immediately went to the airport to pickup my inlaws. They are larger than average folks, and with luggage and my wife & baby, we had a load. Glad I had the self-leveling. Not sure if it kicked in or not, but van sure rode a lot better (more control, firmer) than the non-leveling one I drove -- especially impressed at 70mph whoop de's where the deep suspension travel in the rear was impressive, never bottoming even with this load. Our '00 Maxima bottoms out at the drop of a hat (the weak point of that car). Cruised great at 70.

Need to read the manual there are so many gadgets.

Keep in mind I got the car and am owner #4 and I got a sweet deal on this baby but I have a few questions:

* Is there a hose on the aircompressor? I see the port.
    * do the fog lights have covers?
    * Is there supposed to be a cover for the luggage area? I see holders on the walls of the rear. is it worth getting one from the dealer?

anyway, its doing great so far. Will try to post a pic tomorrow or soon.

I'm investigating 16" wheel upgrade.

DD
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    Has anyone added traction control to their minivan?

We just purchased a new 2002 Silhouette minivan GL. The sales person and the sales manager and the assistant sales manager looked at the books together and answered my direct question "Does this minivan have traction control" with a definately yes it is part of the security package. It was a rainy night and I thought I would stop on a slippery road and give it the gas and see if the traction control works. Tires spun as long as I held the gas pedal down. So, it has no traction control. I took it in to the dealer for some adjustments (the shift level was not mounted securely, and there was a tire vibration on 16" rims.) and asked them to also verify the traction control for me. They told me it does not have traction control installed.

So I went back to the sales manager, he says he will support installing traction control on my minivan.

The shop forman says there is no kit to instal traction control. He says even if he bolts on whatever parts are needed for traction control, he was not sure that he could make the minivan computer recognize the hardware and apply the traction control. He just says simply that it cannot be done. I have been told if I figure out how to do it the dealer would do it for me. A set of shop manuals will be in my hands in less than a week with updates in March.

Since Traction Control is an option on these minivans, It is possible to get it. Has anyone been down this path of installing traction control?

Swapping the van would be difficult since the deal included the employee discount it would have to be approved all the way up into GM itself.

On the possitive side I still have not mailed in the Customer Satisfaction survey and I am a repeat customer at this dealer. So at least I have their attention.

Has anyone added traction control to their minivan?
    Thank You
    BoxTrooper
    You need a very good mech to tell you what you need.

ABS has most of the components for TC, wheel sensors, etc. TC adds little cost from what I have read about it once one has ABS. That said, who knows what is involved. Sounds like they owe you $$ to make it right or a new van. I have Tc on my new van but its way too crowded to see much.

DD
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    I would think that it can not be done for a reasonable (acceptable) cost. I think the van system is simular to the system in the Bonneville. Several years ago, my cousin had to have part of his ABS sytem replaced and it made a difference part number wise if he had traction control. Also the controller would need to be replaced, and if it uses a core charge like the engine computers, you will not have the correct core. If I were to guess, and it could be done, I would say the dealer is looking at probably $700+. If it could be added there would be a package. The real question is, why are some of these features even options? Your 2002 GL with the security package and 16" wheels looks like it should have listed around $29,300. Did Olds think they couldn't sell them if they were $29,500 ($195 Traction)? It has always made me laugh when I stop at different Pontiac dealers and look at Montana upwards of $30,000 and they do not have the dual playback audio (Cassette & CD) for $100 more.
  • salesrepmnsalesrepmn Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone installed as an aftermarket project an overhead video system (VCP or DVD)?
    If so what brand and costs?
    I have contacted local aftermarket retailers/installers and I am getting quotes of $900 to $2000 installed. Are these systems that hard to install or just time consuming?
    There are no covers for your foglamps. There should be a black vinyl bag in there with the hose for the onboard aircompressor. It is a long hose and has a built in dial gauge. The cargo cover (if available) is not standard. However there should be a "net" that strings to the hooks you see.

As far as load=level suspension, you will hear the compressor kick on after about 30 seconds when you start the van. Sometimes you can even feel it raise the rear of the van as it fills the rear shocks.

Good Luck
  • yzfyzf Member Posts: 65
    Unbelievable. That dealer owes you a new minivan. He contracted to sell you one with traction control and the van that was delivered does not have it. He has YET to fulfill his legal obligations under the sales contract. The other posters are right - traction control is tied into the ABS and ECU (computer) and other drive train components. You can not simply bolt it on - not without significant cost and modification to the van. You're alternatives are to have him swap out the van he gave you with one that does have traction control or to give the value difference in cash for traction control.

I had a Pontiac dealer try to snow me on that one too. I asked what the missing middle button on the lower set of controls was for (it was a blank). He tried to give me some BS about how vans in Canada had to have a separate control for side marker lights when they are parked. As my wife is Canadian - she knew instantly that this was totally false. I found out later that the button was to turn off the traction control. Instead of being honest and saying he didn't know, the salesman had to lie. We would have been fine if he had to say he had to find out - but, instead, he had to make up some BS. And to top it off, he kept assuring us the van did indeed have traction control (it did not). This is not a complaint about Pontiacs generally (like GM vehicles - got an Olds Silo), but just an example of how the buyer must still know more about the car they want to buy because reliance on dealer information is folly.
    Thanks for the info. Both my fog lamps lenses are broken from rocks...one badly and the other minor, but hate to pay for dealer markeup on parts to fix it. My old Dodge had something similar and whole thing had to be replaced and it was not that cheap. As we hardly use them anyway, I'll keep my eyes open for alternatives. As the olds ones seem to be differnt than the Pontiacs, may be hard to find used ones.

The main headlights are also problematic. I have read from others the problems with moisture getting inside them and what not. I removed my light reflector and it was dirty inside, so I put soapy water in to slosh around and wash it out and the water was coming out of the glue joints for the lense like crazy. Seems the contractor making these for GM really provided inferior product. The glue dries out and does not seal well. I pried the thing open and reglued with GOOP and after a rain it still got messed up inside and yes, the bulb was sealed inside.

Has anyone found aftermarket lights for these vans that are one peice or made better (don't leak)? I have not found the stockers to have good illumination as the plastic lens seems to get abraided by road debris and that is probably a big part of it.

Other than that, I am impressed. I changed the oil on my new '98 to mobil 1, put new air filter in, new drive belt (took like 5 minutes!), cleaned the motor (didn't really need it), etc. The features on the van are impressive (GLS) and the pushrod motor moves the bulk very well even with a full load of visiting family inside. The suspension levels itself with my mother-in-law in the backseat (!), and the rear folks have heat/cool. I didn't think I'd use the power slider but we use it a lot.

I can't wait until we do a road trip with it. What a road trip vehicle!

One question - people have yanked the power slider door and was wondering if it was possible to hurt the mechanism this way - manual didn't say much about it.

Happy Holidays,
    The power door mechanism is designed to start moving the door if someone pulls on it.

You should also have a couple sets of headphones for the rear audio jacks. You have a dual tuner radio, so headphones can listen to something other than what is on the front speakers.

I took my '98 GLS on a road trip. I drove at night with everyone asleep, and made it 625 miles on my first tank of fuel. Over the road the van delivers impressive milage. I let the trip computer run for 10 days on that trip, and avg mpg's was 26.5!!! And it was July in Coastal GA, so the A/C was run quite a bit...
    Shaners, that MPG on the highway is the same as my Shadow Turbo's - it ran rich to avoid blowing a piston and thus didn't get stellar fuel economy, but the difference in the ride of the shadow and this thing is no contest! And I can haul five others easily. Saw you on the Honda list, good luck with the Honda, they are nice, I just wasn't in the market for a new one and being cheap wanted to get a van for the same as I can sell my pickup for.

All my friends really laid it on me heavy for buying a van, they all thought I was nuts but after sitting in it they understand! Its nice. Merry xmas, mine came early and is in the driveway!

DD
  • mrpanelsmrpanels Member Posts: 1
    Well, it's been a few years since I've posted...thought I'd see if any of my old buds are still around.

Have 55K on my 98 GLS. My only complaints are still original. Louder than hell on the freeway (as you can see by my mileage) and the damn thing doesn't heat up unless you put in on the 3d setting for the fan. Mechanic sez that it is a computer controlled thermostat from those guys in Detroit (if that's the case, they deserve the Lions!) Oh well, we just have to keep in on high to get the heat blowing around. And the headlights keep getting moisture on the inside. Oh well.

Otherwise, I am amazed that GM can build such a good vehicle. Unlike my friends who "had" to have a Sienna and paid close to sticker 3+ years ago, I felt like we got a good "value" on the van. We are probably going to replace this summer as I won't want to own something that will be getting close to 70K miles. The next question is what to get since Olds is going bye-bye.

I sure like the bells and whistles and can't find that on their other models. I'll be looking at the Sienna and Odessy although a friend just bought the new Mazda (MPV?) and is raving about it.

Enjoyed catching up on the commentary. Seems like most people (aside from the few lemons out there) are having good experiences with the Silo. Best wishes this holiday season!
  • offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    Re your message. I have the Venture 2000 and certainly would go again with a GM van. When you look at the van board, just note how all the other makes have generated their own problem sites.

I have just got new Michelin Symmetry tires and it runs very quitely. Yes the engine can be noisy under acceleration, but as long legged cruiser it is the best van going. We love its size for hauling and college etc.
    I actually could have traded my '00 Sil "premier" (which was one of the not so good ones that come off the line) on a new '02 "premier" for less than the Honda I bought. Based on my positive experiances with my '98 that more than outweighed the probs with the '00, I would have bought the '02 if it weren't for the fact that Olds is going to go by the wayside. I was scared to put that much money in a new '02 not knowing what the resale value would be down the road.

I loved that Olds, and didn't care for the Venture or Montana too much... Neither of those 2 vans were "classy" enough!!!

For the most part, I think the Olds vans are very good, and their customer assistance program is phenominal!!! (ie. The 800 number on the window).
    You guys are selling these vans too early! Although a case can be made for not riding the depreciation curve farther down, in terms of reliability - hey, if these were Dodge vans I could understand selling at 60K! You should not be worried about reliability - you made the right call buying these vans in the first place, stick with something that works!

Given reasonable maintenance these should last to 150K miles easily! Granted you might have a thing or two to repair once in a while, but I'd guess the engine/transmission would be good for quite some time if its like other GM cars we've owned. My pops has 3 bonnevilles (88,88 & 94), and we've owned Novas, 3 Pontiac sedans (wish I still had that '65) and none of them ever had much trouble with them besides one timing chain on the '70. Ok, the Bonneville's eat alternators, but I think they finally got that addressed.

Even if you do need like tie rod ends and a new radiator, its not like you're out more than $800 and that's two car payments. These new vehicles are MUCH improved over even the late 1980's cars. Heck, there's not even much scheduled maintenance before 100K miles for gosh sakes!

Drive 'em as long as you can. I had my Shadow 13 years and at $11k purchase price, that was a pretty low annual cost of owning a car! Obviously I'm cheaper than most folks, but having having done some research on these vans I think the GM / Olds vans will run well for years w/o needing repairs. I feel confident enough to BUY one at 62k miles! Heck, it feels new to me!

ps. on the highway noise - I thought it was pretty reasonable coming from a Maxima -- try a Honda van if you want to hear road noise. Also, a autosound shop can install some dynomat to reduce the noise if you really want to deal with it. Would be better than a new one.

DD

ps. the headlight thing is going to drive me nuts but I think I can caulk them shut.
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Member Posts: 274
    I had this problem on my 1988 Mustang...I drilled some drainholes in the bottoms....problem solved.
    I thought of the drain thing - and someone mentioned it, but given the air pressure on teh front of the van at speed, I figured it would force water in, not just let water out. I guess its something to try, I can always seal the hole.
    Dd
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Do you have to put the hole in the front of the lens. Why not on the underside nearest the low point, that way the water shouldn't get in. Also it's possible that water really isn't leaking in. Could be the heat of the lens and the cold water from rain etc. condenses on the inside of the lens. Had a off road motorcycle that did that on the side case where the points were. Answer was drill hole in top of case, put in tube and run it up under seat and no more water.
    I see Edmonds has a TSB listing and the headlights are on it for this vehicle. Has someone already looked this one up as to the "fix" in the TSB?

My old car came with plastic lens lights but the walmart replacement GE's were glass, a big improvement in light but heavier. I'll take the light output over weight if I can find glass ones, its not a race car.

DD
    Oh yea, forgot to mention -

I wasn't going to drill the front lens, that would be silly :~) but the whole front of the van must be a high air pressure at speed, not just the front lens. I can try drilling a low spot of the back reflector and put a tube on it, see if that works.

The front is a bit scratched from road miles and I'd like to just replace with glass if I could and get more light.

Also - My '98's driver's seat bottom cushion (leather captain's chair) is a bit flattened, I think I'll see about switching with a seat in the back - they look the same. Hope it just bolts in and I can swap. Let y'all know if this works.

DD
    The seats should all be the same just unbolt the track if they are different. If the drivers seat is power could be more of a problem depending on where they put the seat controls.
  • missedbassmissedbass Member Posts: 48
    have a '98 and had the water in the headlights too. The bulletin from the dealer says to clean out the water, silicone around the light, and drill a small hole in the bottom corner of the light. Lights have been ok since then. If it didn't work he would have replaced the lights.
    Well, the power seat is different in the bottom bolster than the rear, so I'll have to live with it or get into rebuilding the foam. Not a big deal for me but may try something if I get foam from a relative who does upolstery. If he lived closer I could get the whole deal done!

I found outer tie rods worn out on my van, and replaced them myself yesterday. Very simple if you have the tools (19mm), large adjustable. Got it aligned this AM, what a difference. The sloppyness I had figured was just part of the van is gone and its precise now. Checked rear brakes and they were fine, reworked a loose mud flap thing on the pass side and ready to go. Looking good!

Getting 22-23 MPG on my trip computer invcluding getting hosed in xmas traffic jams and some highway. Not bad! Our Maxima gets about the same and only holds 4 really. But the van makes you appreciate the maxima!

Scott
  • indyrennerindyrenner Member Posts: 2
    I haven't read all of the messages but have been somewhat surprised by the positive tales of the reliability. I have a 97 GLS and have had many problems. Just spent $2500 on a new engine at 71k. It threw a bearing while the dealer was test driving it while it was there for a different repair (so they said). Have the "service engine soon" coming off and on due to a slipping transmission over the last couple of months. And recently with the cruise on it started revving almost to redline and wouldn't shift. It finally shifted after a couple minutes and I drove 300 miles without any more problems (except for the warning light came back on). I have friends with the same van that haven't had a single problem. Maybe the 98's are better and/or maybe I've got a lemon.
    I have just got a '98 gls but if you had the service done on it and maintained fluids your experience does not sound typical judging from the posts and people I've talked to. The vans I looked at (about 60-70k miles) the guys told as far as repairs one guy had a new belt installed and other a battery and tires. I was impressed with the reliability record of those vans and CReports shows good powertrain reliability.

The manual says if the transmission acts up to check the fluid, but I assume you did that. I don't know what to tell you but it seems you had bad luck so far. It may or may now continue depending on in part the quality of work done at the dealer.

If you had $500/month payments for five years on a new van, you'd pay for those repairs quickly...does that make you feel better?
    Has anyone removed the battery for replacement on this vehicle? How do you get the ground off? I can move the fuse/relay box but that still doesn't really afford what I'd call access to the terminal.

What would normally be a 5 min exercise looks like it will be a hassle. I got the special tool for removing the side terminal wires, but in two attempts at messing with it did not succeed. My shop manual is not here yet, but thought someone might know.

My battery is ok but there is a lot corrosion on the POS terminal I need to clean off before I consider the van to be all ready to go.

DD
  • sweingastsweingast Member Posts: 28
    Looking at buying a GLS with a stow a way seat and 2nd power door before the incentives run out in 24 hours.

Would you still reccomend purchasing one of these?
    If so, what is a good price? I am being quoted $31,000 out the door with a 100,000 mi warranty.

This does not seem that great since a Honda EX-L with the same warranty is costing me $32,000 out the door and that is $1,000 over MSRP. I know the low interest is plus.

Too bad I have 24 hours to make this purchase before that extra $500 goes away.
  • yzfyzf Member Posts: 65
    Sweingast - doesn't sound like that great a deal to me. My wife and I got a 2001 Olds Silhouette earlier this summer - the Premiere edition with dual power doors, tow package and gold package (didn't care about the latter) with the fold down seat. Stuff like the VCP/Video screen, back up warning system, leather, seat warmers, triple climate zone, etc. etc. came standard with the Premiere edition and we paid about $31,000 in the Mid-Atlantic region. The van was brand new and had about 5 miles on it total. We opted for the 0.9% financing offered at the time (pre-0% financing).

As for liking the van/reliability - we love it!! Reliability with over 6K has been quite good. We did have some minor problems and the power door latch recall, but those were all quickly and efficiently addressed. Van runs great. Seeing what else is out there and the prices, we'd do it all over again with the Oldsmobile Silhouette in a heartbeat - but the price has to be right!

Good luck.
  • indyrennerindyrenner Member Posts: 2
    I did get the transmission serviced not too long ago. The mechanic made it sound like I may have damaged the transmission pulling a trailer, which I did only once. I'm not ready to give up on the van just yet since it does have a new engine with a 3 year warranty, but I don't trust it on a long trip anymore. Some one at work told me about a good transmission place that I think I might try instead of the dealer. The maintenance reps at the dealer recognize my name and voice which tells you how often I've been there lately.

You are right about buying a new one though. We had a car show here in Indy last weekend and they are all expensive. I pulled out my CR and you are right about the reliability also. Although it seems like it was worse in 97 and keeps getting better.
  • hhuahhua Member Posts: 16
    We lost one of our 00' premiere mag wheel center hub cab, only the aluminum part not the whole hub cab, it fell off during an highway trip. The adheresive wasn't there or was weakened. It costs $20 for the new one. I glued, the inside of all hub cabs where the lug nut holes are. Be careful not to put too much pressure on the aluminum when applying the glue, it can dent the aluminum surface. Our silo has been good so far, with the passenger power sliding door recalls are the only major problems, it seems to work ok after three dealer visits. I sealed the leaks on top of the lift gate myself.
    If this was a glued on piece than I think it should have been covered under warranty. Did you check. If they turned you down I would email or call Olds and explain that it came unglued and should have been replaced under warranty. GM is pretty generous with warranty. I just got rid of a 97 Geo Tracker 4 x4 and had a problem with the stickshift not going into reverse. Even though it was out of warranty for over a year and dealer was fixing it at over $1200 I called the toll free number and explained that it only had 24,000 miles on it and the problem was from rust on the inside of trans. and I had no control over it and all mantainance had been preformed every 3,000miles. They ended up covering most of it. I paid about 350 of the total bill. So go for it.
  • robsmithrobsmith Member Posts: 71
    I had a salesman tell me that the traction control only works up to 22 mph on the Ventures(assume it's the same for all GM minis).

Does anyone know if this is true? Is it true for all/most minivans as well(Chrysler, Ford, Honda, etc)?
    Thats true on the Honda too. I can't understand how it could help you at a speed any faster than that.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    Rob, my understanding from reading is that the GM Traction Systems that use the brakes (The Vans, Aztek, Bonneville, Grand Prix GTP) sre called "All Speed" Traction Control. I would assume it means just that. The other type of sytem is called Enhanced Traction System (Like the Grand Am) and it is only a lower speed system, can't recall ever hearing a speed, but 22 MPH sounds right.
    At higher speeds I would hope that if you hit a slippery section of the road the traction control might enable your vehicle to regain it's traction quicker than a vehicle without.

I'm not talking about doing 60-70, but today here in Ohio we got hit with a good amount of snow and traffic was doing about 40 mph. It would be nice to know that if you hit a slippery section TCS might be able to help you regain your traction.
    I didn't mention that the salesman is trying to sale me a vehicle without TCS when another dealer has one with TCS.
  • hhuahhua Member Posts: 16
    David, Thanks for the concern! Yes I got it replaced under warranty, but forgot to mention that.
    Ok, my aforementioned used '98 GLS has trac control, and a switch.

two quick questions - I don't see a light saying "TCS disabled" or something like that when I push the button to disable it. On most cars when you disable that a light comes on to warn/remind you.

So, is the TCS the 25mph variety or the unlimited speed variety?

Around here in Houston, about the only time I've seen the "LOW TRACTION" light come on when I was leaving a gas station and goosed it on some sand. I do plan on going snowboarding in New Mexico eventually and was just wondering about TCS and dreaming of snow.

I used to have a turbo shadow 5speed and I could downshift at 65mph into 4th in the rain and the motor would spin the front wheel easily, that sort of thing could be a benefit at speed if you had ice. Certainly the v6 isn't going to break the tires loose over 5mph in most non-winter situtations on the road. I was wondering how it will it cope with our Texas mud.... I realize it doesn't increase traction, just limit wheelspin, but it sounds interesting for a squirrel like me to try messing with it the next time I'm at a festival and the van is already muddy....

DD
    I found out my van had a worn outer tie rod and replaced both sides then took it to be alighned and a tire with a nail removed....and...while they were at it, I paid a bit extra and they flipped the whitewalls to the inside and rebalanced the tires. Had them keep the same rotation. Anyway, the whitewalls were driving me crazy they were so grandma and ugly (IMHO), now the van looks much improved. Now, I'm going to be cheap and just drive the tires on it until they get worn - heck, its just a minivan anyway.

I did rotate the tires on the '00 Maxima myself and rolled one over to the van and then got down to where it looked like it was mounted to the van and took a picture - looked really sweeeet and totally changed the van's personality. If you didn't know the The max has 17" stock aluminum wheels. If I can figure out a way to post the pic I will. Anyway, another wierd thing was that the overall tire diameter was EXACTLY the same size as the van's. If I look at that pic enough I'll think about upgrading to 16" rims and lower profile tires...

DD
  • hardestyhardesty Member Posts: 166
    The traction control system on the GM minivans is "all-speed" at low speeds it uses a combination of torque reduction, gear changes, and braking, at higher speeds it uses only torque reduction and gear changes (if available). Torque reduction is achieved by retarding timing and in extreme cases by shutting down cylnders. As long as the transmission is not already in high gear lockup, an upshift can be used to stop wheel spin. Re: dirkdaddy # 498, there is a trac off light that should come on when you disable the traction control system or when the comupter disables it because it detects a malfunction. Maybe the light is out on yours, it should come on for a couple of seconds at startup as a test. The traction control system always starts on at each startup, so if you normally like to drive with it off, you have to push the switch each time you start the car.
  • trarogtrarog Member Posts: 1
    Tonight after putting my son in the backseat I pushed the button for the door to close. I forgot something so I stuck my arm back in to grab it. I pushed on the sliding door to get it to start closing and it did not stop. My arm was kind crooked so I could not get it out. The door only stopped after it nearly broke my arm between the door and the door casing. Thank the Lord this was not my child's neck! Have any others had this problem. I am going to report this to Oldsmobile. My understanding is that the door stops closing if it comes in contact with any obstruction. Needless to say, that is not what happened, and I have a nice bruise to prove it. Let me know what you think. Thanks!!!