Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    >>It is a Verizon V710

Actually, it's a Motorola V710 with Verizon's specs.
  • igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    Lexus ES has that already but I don't even use that often due to this so called Daytime Running light that is tied to Light Auto-On feature. Even under a bright sun light, auto mode will have part of the lights on, which I think is overkill. So I typically manually switch to Auto from off when I sense it a bit dark, but still turn it off normally. Are some of RL's lights on in auto mode under the sun too?
  • somnosomno Member Posts: 43
    In the quick start guide on the MID page, it mentions Keyless Relock Timer settings with options of 30, 60 or 90 seconds. What does that do exactly?
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    >>Are some of RL's lights on in auto mode under the sun too?

The RL has Daytime Running Lights, also. If you operate the lights in automatic mode, you'll have Daytime Running Lights in the day, then when it gets dark, your full headlights come on.
  • g35coupe1g35coupe1 Member Posts: 28
    I believe this is when you unlock car with the key FOB and then dont open any doors...the car will re-lock itself in a certain amount of time. I guess that time range can be adjusted.
  • algoodmanalgoodman Member Posts: 21
    The Motorola V710 is now on the RL compatible list. However it requires a software upgrade. The number of the software for the phone supplied by Verizon is: "8700_01.3E.S2"
    I got this information from Acura customer service. My local Verizon store didn't have the software yet. They couldn't give me a date when they would have it.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Almost all remote locks have this feature... It is to ensure that if you accidently press the key fob while walking away from the car, the car doesn't stay unlocked while you are away from it..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

In the quick start guide on the MID page, it mentions Keyless Relock Timer settings with options of 30, 60 or 90 seconds. What does that do exactly?
  • shotgunshotgun Member Posts: 184
    My 05' RL's XM also looses signal in my garage...
  • safeldersafelder Member Posts: 60
    I'm looking for input/opinions from anybody else who decided between the RL and the A6 and why. I'm torn between the two...but it seems to be "little things" that are upsetting me (lack of height adjustment on passenger seat and fold down rear seat in Acura, or less technology in the Audi). For the record, my immediate family has owned nothing but Audis for the last 20 years, but they seem to be getting progressively less reliable; everyone I know with a Japanese car praises their reliabliity.
  • hnormanhnorman Member Posts: 4
    You should lose XM while in your garage. You need a line of sight for the signal. The garage roof doesn't allow that.
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    Try Mark Cincinnati in this forum. Can't think of anyone who has compared those 2 cars more!
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    Do any RL owners feel torque steer?
    Or has SH-AWD taken care of this problem?
    The only type of "steer" I feel is of the type a train experiences when its on tracks or the type you feel when on a roller coaster...In other words, none...
  • twentworth22twentworth22 Member Posts: 3
    Well, as I've learned after using computers for 20 years now.

When in doubt, reboot.

I removed the Radio fuse and plugged it back in and of course, now everything works again.

This will be an ongoing concern as cars become more and more like computers.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    You guys have Daytime Running Lights in the US now?
    Actually I think there are still quite a few brands that don't have the relock feature. From what I know, Mazda doesn't, and I don't think Nissan/Infinite does either, not the pre-2000 models anyway.
    Must be rough on people with OCD... I don't know how they ever manage to leave their car...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• reallegendreallegend Member Posts: 28
    I just purchased the Motorola V710 through Verizon. It had been out of stock for some time due to a recall. In checking the S/W version, my phone states - 8700_01.30.8F. Is this the version you have, or is this a later version. How does one tell?

I also sent a number of inquiries to Motorola about the Verizon V710 phone and whether or not it had any limitations for use with the Acura and information transfers. They responded that due to the lack of the OBEX profile, the phone can only support Bluetooth capability for pairing-up with the headset and for using the phone as a modem. It cannot be used for data synchronization like phonebook and calendar, nor for media transfer, like pictures and ringtones. Hence, it cannot synchronize contacts with the car's navigation system phonebook.

I believe the issue is NOT synchronization, but rather access and transfer. Motorola further stated that I would need to contact Verizon about this firmware upgrade and availability. When I asked Verizon, all I got was double-talk, and that the phone was working as designed.
    I will test it myself in 2 weeks when I hope to pick up my new RL.
  • olneymdolneymd Member Posts: 23
    I've had my share of audi's since the mid-80s - the latest was a 2003 A4 Cabriolet.

I've had the 05 RL for a month now, and I couldn't be happier. There's a sense of confidence in knowing that everything is working as it should, and that there's a customer centric service organization at my acura dealership should a glitch pop up.

With the A4 - i had an oil leak (gasket) which required the dropping of the transmission; side mirrors that would not stay set in memory; steering wheel and door switches that lost their finishing; loose stabilizer bar. It all got fixed, but i just tired of the hassles.

This is my 3rd acura in 3 years, and i'm impressed. Nothing's perfect - but the whole package fits me well. I've also had 3 mercedes - and i can't even begin to describe the nightmare with them. They had to buy back one of my vehicles.

These cars are all complex -- and there will be glitches. For me - I need a service dept that cares about it's customers.. the RL and Acura work for me.

PS - I did drive the 05 A6 4.2 - hated the dash around the steering wheel (bland/bleak), thought the rear-end had the highlights of a saturn (chrome strip)... and just wasn't willing to be a ginea pig for audi... again.

Good luck
    Thanks for the input--very helpful. Let me guess about the A4--camshaft gasket, right? I've had it twice on my car (98 A4 2.8) and once on my wife's old car (99 A4 2.8). $1K each time, and no help from Audi of America for something that shouldn't EVER have failed, much less at under 50K or twice under 70K!!

You're right that nothing is perfect, and I suppose I shouldn't be so troubled by the little, stupid things (like lack of height adjustability on a seat I'll never sit in, or lack of RDS on a radio that will probably never leave XM). The RL was, IMHO, more fun to drive than the A6 3.2, which I expected to be more like the 2.7T than it turned out to be. Hell, if I stick the deck lid spoiler on the RL, it's sporty too, right?!!
    Verizon's implementation of BT in the V710 is severely crippled in order to keep you stuck to Get It Now! That's why you can't swap ringtones, sync address book/calendar, etc. If I recall correctly, the initial firmware in the V710 supports only headset (so you can pair it to the RL or another BT headset/speakerphone) and modem profiles.
  • lynnminnylynnminny Member Posts: 49
    I got my dealer to throw in the spoiler on my new RL. It really just looks like part of the car. It is very low and not tacky like so many spoilers. My RL is very much sportier than the 200 E320 that I traded in for the new RL.

My new RL also has the approval of my 14 yr old daughter and 21 yr old nephew, so it must be pretty styling!!!

My first Mercedes which was a 1997 E320 had to have a new transmission within the first 3 months!!

Lynnminny
    The two cars that I was deciding between were also the Audi A6 and the RL. The 4.2 was a little faster (but will likely burn a lot more gas) and did not handle as well (feels like a bigger car) and the V6 is clearly not as fast or nice. It was very tempting as I am friends with the ex-manager of the local Audi dealer who would have arranged a spectacular deal for me.

I just bought the RL yesterday (Blue Pearl) and am very happy with my decision.
    Geez...talk about a case of thinking one thing and typing another while trying to get the hell out of the office. I meant chain tensioner gasket, not camshaft gasket.
    Well, you shouldn't have been fooling around on Townhall while in the office in the first place. :)
    E-mail server went down about 2pm. Nothing else to do but surf.
    The two cars that I was deciding between were also the Audi A6 and the RL. The 4.2 was a little faster (but will likely burn a lot more gas) and did not handle as well (feels like a bigger car) and the V6 is clearly not as fast or nice. It was very tempting as I am friends with the ex-manager of the local Audi dealer who would have arranged a spectacular deal for me.

According to Acura Customer service the Verizon model of the Motorola V710 is fully compatible when the firmware is updated to version 8700_01.3E.S2. I've found that Verizon stores may not have the firmware yet.
    Congratulations Somno...you will LOVE your new RL - I know I love mine and allow me to commend you on your OBP color selection. In my opinion, it is the "sleeper" color for the RL...it rocks!!
    Shotgun,

I love the OBP color. My wife had to talk me into it as I was used to black. The car looks near black when the light goes down but with sunlight it beats the pants (IMHO) off the black.

May take a while till people realize that it is the a great choice for a dark color.
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    I am also very impressed by this color, There seems to be a somewhat regal cast about it. My current RL is Pearl White, but I'm taking a hard look at OBP. Amd, just to be different, I'm also casting glances at Redondo Red - I once broke the mold and had a Merlot (lighter than Burgundy and more vibrant) Mazda Millenia.

My daughter never cared for blues, but went off when she saw "Eternal Blue" on the 2003 RSX. So that's what she's been tooling around in for almost two years ...... and LOVING it!
  • talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    As award-worthy as the new RL is, Motor Trend is nothing if they're not predictable. As I predicted uptopic, the award went to the Chrysler 300. Based on their approach, I don't think any other car even had a chance of winning.
  • carnutcpacarnutcpa Member Posts: 11
    '05 RL is priced $3-5K too high, and not selling as well as anticipated by dealers in 2nd tier cities. Acura has lost that lovin'(value) feelin'! Over other cars, materially, it offers SH-AWD(won't be appreciated by many) and real-time traffic(not offered in many markets). The interior size is "virtually" identical to the Honda Accord and the Acura TL. And, even the '05 Lexus ES330 for $38K offers: wood wheel and shifter, all mirrors dim, 10-way driver/8-way passenger, ventilated/cooled seats, rain-sensing wipers, power-adj pedals, adaptable suspension, auto recirc air mode, and 6 yr/70k powertrain warranty. In theory, allow them $6k for AWD and spruced up electronics, and they would still be at $44k. Consumers are FINALLY understanding that cars are priced by what manufacturers THINK you're willing to pay, not a reasonable markup over cost to produce; thus, it's not difficult for the competition to undercut price and give more "goods". Keep your eye on Hyundai, as I know Honda is! Honda was a Hyundai 30 years ago; and the world is moving much faster now!

Drop the price, Acura, and I'll buy! I love a free-market economy and competition! Let the car wars begin, as the consumer will win!

From a long-time Honda/Acura owner.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    I still feel the pricing from the dealer on the RL will be more competitive when the new M35/45 Infinitis come out next Spring as'06 models.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Muhahahahahaha...!

Seriously, though. Look at it objectively. What has Acura really accomplished with the new RL? They produced another also-ran in a league of heavy hitters. They took a shot straight down-market. There's really nothing "new" or revolutionary about it, other than the SH-AWD marketing campaign and the Audio Pilot; which in my experience, the end effect is negligible at best.

Sure, there are other little technological touches, but that is the problem with the car. It seems Honda just through a ton of technology at the car instead of focusing on building a better/more desirable car. And from what I'm reading in here, some of that technology is having niggles.

They need to shoot higher with the RL. From what they've given us with this one, it's as though they admit defeat in the upscale luxury market. Who are they going for that the TL isn't squaring against already? I'm afraid as nice as it is, this RL will also fade into oblivion like the last. One of the salesmen I was dealing with said this thing is a competitor to the 7-series and S-class!!! I couldn't believe my ears! I just thought to myself that anybody in the market for a 7-series, S-class, or even an LS430 would NEVER consider the RL. Now if they're in the market for a 5-series, E-class, ES330; absolutely.

(Daimler)Chrysler took a leap of faith with the 300. They decided to shoot a little further up-market this time. They also wised up this time. When they introduced the 300M, it and the LHS were priced and sized similarly. The LHS was all about luxury (as with the RL) and the 300M was about luxury with a sporty flair (as with the TL). The 300M cannibalized sales of the LHS and outsold it 2:1 or 3:1. That they also had the Concorde that was also about luxury and larger didn't help. The LHS eventually had to be dropped. The same thing will probably happen to the RL at the end of this design cycle if they don't get their act together.

The new 300 is a bold (whether you love it or hate it) design. It looks like nothing else out there, save for the Bentley; and that's not a bad thing at all. It looks, feels, and drives like a much more expensive car. One could see people trading their older S-classes and 7s for a 300C.

More importantly, Chrysler gave millions of us what we've been wanting since they disappeared so many years ago; a big, powerful, RWD, V8 sedan to move us. Where's Acura's V8? They gave us a powerful V6 that, sadly, isn't remarkably quicker than the competitors' much less powerful V6s.
  • talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    I guess time will tell. Yes, the 300 is a "bold" design, and it seems to be the car to be seen in right now. 4 or 5 years ago, the same could be said for the PT Cruiser. The past 2 years, it was the Hummer. And now those vehicles are languishing in the marketplace, their heyday being a thing of the past.

Let's see how it fares 3 or 4 years down the road. Does this design have legs, or is it another "flavor of the day"? It's hard for a company to have ongoing success if the only successes they have are such designs, because you need to always be on top of what the next best thing will be, and you may not be right next time.

Just my opinion...
    From VerizonWireless on RL V710 compatability:
    "Due to customer feedback such as yours, Verizon Wireless is re-assessing the Bluetooth capabilities on the Motorola V710. Providing software updates for this handset is under review. We do understand that it can be frustrating if your handset does not operate to the extent that you desire. We would ask for your patience during this evaluation period."
    and
    "Verizon Wireless currently supports the following Bluetooth functions on the Motorola V710:

- Wireless headsets
    - Wireless car kits (voice calls only, no syncing contacts)
    - Dial-Up networking

Contact syncing, file sharing and any other Bluetooth functions outside of the ones listed above are not currently available on the v710. File transfer abilities have not been enabled, as we are still testing the security of these connections to ensure that your data and our network are safe. We have not yet reached a decision regarding whether or not we will enable file sharing functionality."
  • carguy88carguy88 Member Posts: 2
    The reasons that Acura may have problems selling these RLs are the price and salespeople comparing it to bigger cars like the BMW 745 and S430. Like tayl0rd said, it is more competitive to the 530i, the A6, and the GS300. If Acura had a V8 option for that car, a six speed sequential auto (with the paddle shifters), and dropped the price for the V6 a few grand to maybe $39,500, they'd be rollin.
  • mmratnermmratner Member Posts: 14
    I am honestly struggling to understand why people are calling the RL overpriced. All of its competitors: Audi A6 (with the V6), BMW 530i, Merc E320 and the upcoming Lexus GS300 and Infinity M35 are priced in the $50K range. Acura has a stronger engine and a more sophisticated AWD system that all of those cars. How is it overpriced?!
    MT Car of the Year award is a kiss of death. Look at some of the dogs that they've picked in the past.
    So I guess if the RL had been chosen, it would be a dog/weiner/any other term you're using as you buzzbomb the forums to shoot down the winner?
  • carnutcpacarnutcpa Member Posts: 11
    --"I am honestly struggling to understand why people are calling the RL overpriced..."--

If Acura is going to play in that price arena, they'd better either/and/or:

1)Differentiate the product from the Honda nameplate(Honda Legend in Japan is the "EXACT" same car--body style, technology, MORE features--degrades the Acura badge--I actually saw a demo with "Honda" on all the glass--fixed on the later production supply),

2)Make sure to not nickel/dime features that are standard on MUCH lesser cars like Lexus ES330(wood wheel/shifter, 8-way passenger, rain-sensing wipes, ventilated seats--I predict some of these will be added to US RL model in CURRENT model year once sales drop off, especially since the production line already handles it for the Honda Legend),

3)Figure out how to increase their prestige factor.

In this price league, people are buying status and exclusiveness. Quality and performance can generally be purchased in any price bracket.
    I'm not shooting anybody down. I'm just saying don't take the Car of the Year Award as any sort of foolproof indication of excellence. As others have said, Chrysler products tend to lack quality and staying power. They make a bold styling impact now, but after the novelty wears off, does it have the basic goodness to maintain value? The 300 is based on the old MB E-class. I suppose if you accept it as sort of a cut-rate MB, or a discounted "last year's model", then it may be for you.

Oh, BTW, posting in only 2 topics would hardly qualify as "buzzbomb", or any other term you want to use, don't you think?
    A lot of people are questioning the pricing of the new RL, myself included. Personally, I wouldn't want to pay more than $45K for one. It's not that it's a bad car. It just doesn't "feel" like a $50K car. And it certainly isn't worth a $15K+ premium over a TL, considering they are comparably equipped in most regards and the TL seems to have more passenger space.

The way it looks, Honda should've just let the Legend die gracefully. Instead, they've dragged it on year after year as a mockery of the car it once was. Either they don't know how to design a true luxury car or they don't care to even try. They would've been better off dropping the RL and putting the SH-AWD and other gadgets on the TL. It would've fortified the TL for higher pricing as well as made it a more dominate player.
    If you haven't been, then my apologies. I saw that you posted in two forums here to downplay the win. I saw a post on another forum for cars and people who love to drive them from a newbie who said almost verbatim what you keep saying about the Motor Trend COTY award. I figured it was you.
    Motor Trend COTY goes to whoever buys the big advertising package.. That is the sum total of the qualifications needed.

Now, C&D may solicit advertising from the car companies after they pick their "Ten Best" list, but at least that isn't the requirement for being chosen..

Nothing against the cars being chosen, but that award is a sham.. always has been.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• riker2riker2 Member Posts: 36
    The new RL is obviously a vast improvement over the car it replaces and is going to be very competitive in its segment.

But why trash the COTY award or the 300C? The 300C has received enthusiastic reviews from virtually all of the automotive press, not to mention the Most Significant Car of the Year from Edmunds. 90,000 have been sold in a little over six months, and an Austrian plant is being retooled to sell them in Europe. The car is a bonafide phenomenon.

Which doesn't take a thing away from the success that the new RL will most surely have in the coming years.

Cars, and our love of them are an emotional proposition, and car awards are certainly nice. But they don't devalue great cars that don't win.

On the other hand the 300C won for a number of very legitimate reasons, and I have no doubt that it will also win the North American Car of the Year as well. And to suggest that all COTY winners are flash in the pans is a bit of an overstatement. The PT Cruiser has sold almost 100,000 units this year. Not shabby for a car that's about ready to be revamped.

• robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    There are two distinct class of cars in sub-50K luxury class. Those we dub as near luxury cars that can top out in mid to upper 30s (Acura TL, Audi A4, Infiniti G35, Lexus ES330), and some could go past the $40K while carrying a starting price tag in upper 20s (BMW 3-series and Mercedes C-Class).

And those that are more luxurious, and supposed to be equipped as such. However, they are always aren’t. This is Acura RL territory. If you’re looking for RL to compete in the cheaper class, then RL isn’t your kind of car.

Here is a review by Smart Money and covers the RL and other cars that share the upper class with it (Audi A6, BMW 530i and Cadillac STS). Lexus GS and Mercedes E-Class haven’t been mentioned but it does a good job on bringing out the perception that people have of pricing.

What do you get in a $41K Audi A6? And what do you get in a $49K Acura RL? It is quite easy to get Audi A6/3.2 into RL territory, but for Acura to try and go to the Audi’s base territory would be a shame IMO. This class isn’t about value. For that reason, I suspect few would even care for base Audis and most will end up paying $47-50K for the V6, and it simply makes sense! That is assuming that sales hold up and dealers continue to ask for MSRP. V8 versions would be more expensive.

And as the article appropriately mentions, to get satellite radio in Cadillac STS/V6, you end up with a $49K price tag. So, what exactly is the point of $40K price for a luxury car now? And while we have blasted Acura for putting only 4-way power adjustment for passenger seat, we couldn’t care less about the fact that Audi’s CD changer still resides in the glove box as an option, and that STS/V6 won’t have xenon lamps at $50K.

BTW, in the Smart Money review, RL edges out the others.