Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Silhouette

Comments

• boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    My slidign door will stop if abstructed. It takes some force to stop it. I don't think it would crush a child, but a child would not be able to hold it back with one hand either. I bet they have a safety spec for this feature that your dealer can test for you.
    This is our second Silhouette and so far the power doors have worked better than we expected.
  • dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    You must consider that the power doors must operate in many conditions, wind, rain, snow, and uphill, etc. The threshold for reversal upon hitting an obstruction is always a judgement call. Too low and the thing wouldn't close under some circumstances. GM put the level required a little high for some people but I really doubt it would injure anyone seriously. It seems to react faster if you jerk back on it rather than a gradual squish. Hopefully you can suck it up and figure out how to keep limbs out of the door (Grin). You kid wouldn't make that mistake twice if they got a little bit of pressure applied to them. Better to learn the lesson there than in traffic or using power tools, etc.

RE; trac control. I know it works as I had it activiate in some sand one time, but and I see the light come on at startup, but it doesn't light when I hit the switch. I have the service manual on order so I should figure it out soon.

DD
    Has anyone removed the battery connection box and seen a wire lead that come off the loom right near the fender and one of the main harness looms? I was messing with removing some corrosion from my battery termial and noticed I had a sensor type electrical plug on about a 3.5' wire lead coiled up under there. It has about 3 clips that will hold it to the body of the van although I could not figure out which holes were the ones it was used with.

As my van was used, I have no idea if this is normal or not, but I doubt it. The engine works fine and everything but the trac control light when turned off a the switch works like it should.

I'm dying to know what it is but unless one of you knows I'll have to wait until I get the service manual.

DD
  • menlundmenlund Member Posts: 1
    I want to install the trailering harness that came with my '01 and the instruction sheet that came with it is not very clear. Should the dealer have installed this before delivery?

There are six wires on the end, but the harness on my trailer is only four pin. Where do the wires go? Does anyone know the color codes?
    I found out by looking in my service manual (3 volumes and yes it took a while) the missing wire was for a underhood light that some jack@$$ stole. Probably the repo guys. Oh well, for the price I paid, its something I can replace.

re: trailering - I can't remember and am too lazy to look it up for you but do some internet searches for trailer lights and I'm sure you'll find something on it.
  • cccjpmcccjpm Member Posts: 6
    I have been a lurker here for sometime (since before I bought my van in March of 2000) and I want to thank everyone for their help on helping me decide on the Silo.

Well I now need some information. We have the 2000 Silo GLS, which has leather seats. We have had to have the “slot in groove” backs put back together on the driver’s side seat more than a few times and are now on our second replacement seat cover. To make matters worse the same seam on the back of the passenger’s side split and they have also put another cover on that one. The new covers don’t look “right” of course and the service manager tells me that they probably won’t until the summer when it gets hot and then they will “conform” to the seat. My wife has been handling the situation until today. We got the Van back yesterday and the service dept. failed to reattach one of the arm rests. Now this is a minor thing, however I have felt like the service dept. (guys that I know) have been giving my wife the run-around and just patching and not fixing the problems for some time (it has been months since we took it in the first time and this has been fixed on the driver’s side at least 4-5 times). So this morning I went in and talked to the service manager. He informed me that this was the ONLY van he had this problem with and that the fix (seat cover) was covered by a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty. The Van’s warranty runs out in Sept. and I want to make sure what he’s telling me is true (I plan on contacting Olds about the warranty). This is the ONLY problem we have had with the van.

Is anyone else out there having a problem with the “slot in groove” seam on the back of their leather seats?

Thanks,
    CCCJPM
    ’00 Silo GLS
    25,000 miles
  • hardestyhardesty Member Posts: 166
    DD, the domestic Silhouette does not have the underhood light. For some reason, the export version (which has always had four wheel disk brakes by the way) does. The real telltale sign is that there is no switch for the light under the hood. I have had a 1999 and now have a 2002 Silhouette and both have the wire but no light.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    99% sure my brother's 1997 Montana has an underhood light. Think they eliminated it for 1999. I also believe that there is a mercury switch in the light unit that turns on the light when the hood opens.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    You have to remember that the Montana is a Pontiac and although they are the same van they can carry different options and equipment in order to keep them apart. For example Pontiac vans can be had with 2 tone paint where as I believe the Chevy and Olds can't. If you still want a light under the hood may I suggest you think about the ones they put on pickups (at least my 96 was this way) as they come on a reel that lets you pull the light out about 6+ feet. Would make it real handy.
    Way cool! I have only had 1999 & newer vans, so I just assumed there was more missing than the light. Since the 2002s still have the wire, we all could just go in and order a new light assembly (with the switch in it) for our "1997" van. Thanks for the info, it always bothered me that something like the hood light was removed from production models.
    It has always been my feeling that as time goes on things disappear from cars to save money. Glove box locks, lighters, ash trays, fuel door releases, moldings, mirrors, lights, etc. all tend to be dropped after the first years of a vehicles life to help the margins. Check out a 1997 on a used car lot to be sure of the set up.
  • kjookjoo Member Posts: 27
    My brother and his wife have loned us his 99' Venture and i well can admit im startin to like it alot................I would really like to get the nice version and i can afford it until May of 2003, when i can figure out what i would like next, not a minivan but maybe, this would be my first minivan, i have 6 kids who dont drive, and i would really like to know ure thoughts on what models i should get and why?
  • yzfyzf Member Posts: 65
    cccjpm - sorry, our 2001 Olds Silo Premiere has not had the seat back problems you describe. That said, I'll keep an eye out. What exactly was the problem? BTW - sounds like you could use a new dealer service center. I went to two different ones before I found one that was really good - very conscientious and even bothers to call back to report progress!
  • silo01silo01 Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2001 premiere and I love it. We are going on a year of service from this van and couldn't be happier with it. No major problems just the recalls and bad seal on the gas tank but that was fixed and ever since it's been great. We have taken 3 trips in this van and the kids love it. If I could change anything it would be the back bench seat. It isn't very comfortable on long trips. I would like the seats they have in the Astro Lt. Recling with a center console. I'm looking around for these right now. Any ideas?? We are getting 18mpg city and on trips we got around 20mpg. Not great but not bad. The bottomline is for us it's been a great buy and ride.
    You may drive more aggressively with the throttle than I do (I roll into it rather than stab it), but we avg 23mpg even with a lot of city traffic commuting here in Houston. Its been cool weather with winter and all, so I don't know what the AC will do, but I'm very happy with 22-23 city/hwy mix.

YMMV, DD
  • cccjpmcccjpm Member Posts: 6
    The problem is that the plastic seam that holds the seat backs together keeps coming apart. The dealer service guys have repaired it ea. time for no charge, but it keeps separating again. They have suggested that after the new seat covers "form to the seat" they take it to an apolstery shop and have a few stiches put in to keep it together.
  • jeff002jeff002 Member Posts: 3
    I own a 99 Silhouette Premier and of corce the van doesnt have T/C we talked to olds and they said that they would install it if they could and they they said that is Early 99 premiers didn't have T/C I have not seen any other Silhouette with out it Premiers of corese. What do you think
    My '98 GLS has TCS, so unless they stopped installing it in early '99 (doubtful since changes were minor) it should be installable. Since it uses the anti-lock sensors I'm thinking it would not be bad to install. Wonder what estimate they will give you.

DD
    I found in my trusty JC Whitney catglog that anti-sway bars are made for about anything with wheels, including front and back axles of the late model GM mini vans.

I'm going to order a rear bar for my olds to make it tighter handling. I've done this on my last two vehicles and the improvement is amazing, although it increases the spring stiffness on bumps that only hit one side. That and some 16" or 17" rims and it should be a lot sportier handling than a stocker.

I also got a small JBL tube type subwoofer on Ebay and will install it to feed off the stock stereo system speakers in the rear.

Some old EPI mid/tweeter assemblies I salvaged out of some trashed 6x9 tri-axles look like they will mount to the front door where the outside mirror attaches on plastic trangle trim. I can wire them into the stock door speakers for some much improved treble response. The low firing door speakers have a terrible time getting highs to ears. May upgrade all the stock location speakers too if I get into this and find them wanting. I'll keep the headunit for the integrated controls.

I'll have to post some links to pictures after I get this done.

DD
  • dlubindlubin Member Posts: 66
    Looking forward to your report!

-Dan L.
    '01 Montana
    Well, after calling JC Whitney, neither Hellwig or Addco anti-sway bar companies make products for the 97-up GM vans. Sorry for earlier misleading information. Bummer. I'm wondering if the Pontiac version with the handling package has some different rear end hardware, or if its the same as my Olds. I have the service manual for the '98 now, so I guess I have to look. BTW, the service manual is great for computer diagnosis and stuff but not very easy to find stuff and not particularly well organized. My Dodge truck book was exceptionally clear in comparison.

I find the ride a bit bouncy and the van sways more than I would like, but the soft ride is comfortable for trips.

To add some control to the vehicle I think increased shock dampening is in order. Since I have the automatic leveling, changing out the rear shocks could be problematic, and only changing the front struts would be dumb as the back end would still be bouncing. Hmmm... I may live with it the way it is, but one alternative I saw in the JC whitney catalog was Gabriel Hi-Jacker air shocks. I am not sure but I"m guessing they have a lot more dampening and would still hookup to the air line. Gaberiel struts at the front would hopefully match up. Monroe probably also makes similar products. But I'm guessing KYB or other performance shock companies don't make air shocks!

I had to laugh, the last time I saw the "hi-jackers" shocks was in the '70's when that was the way to jack up your car along with shackles (as was popular then) and put big crager mags and tires that stuck out from the fenders. Makes about as much sense as those dropped to the weeds cars that can't get up a driveway or ride with no suspension travel left.

As I have a new MIG welder, I was even thinking of maybe welding in some shock mounts for a second set of rear shocks and just leaving the air shocks alone. But after looking under the van I see most of the room under there is already used. My pickup had tons of room and that would have been simple.

Anyway, the stereo stuff should be pretty easy. After cranking it yesterday I decided I'd replace all 4 of the 5.25" speakers. I went to crutchfield.com and found that they list both the 5.25 and 6.5" speakers as replacements. Has anyone done any speaker replacement and if so what did you do and how did they fit?

DD
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    One easy place to improve handling is the tires. We put Michelin Pilot XGT-H4 on out 1998 Silhouette and it made a huge difference. Also balancing on a http://www.gsp9700.com/ machine helps a lot.

If you want standard shocks on your Silhouette figure out a way to use the autoleveling system to inflate air bags that go inside the springs then free up the shock absorber space for whatever shocks suite your fancy.

Maybe different models of the GM minivan have different rated shocks. Our 2002 Silhouette has a nice crisp ride with FE4 suspension package. You may be able to swap your air adjust shock for a new set from a different model GM minivan.

I am not a fan of JCWhitney because I want the correct parts, not generic ones that can be made to fit.

• tauberjtauberj Member Posts: 61
    I took my 2000 Silo Premiere to the dealer for service last week as the "Service Engine Soon" light came on. I was told it was caused by a loose gas cap. Well, after 4 days the light came on again after my wife filled the tank.

Has anyone had a similar experience? If so, please tell me what to expect. I'm dropping the van off for service later this week.

Other than that, the van has been great. It's now got 20000 miles on it. coincidentally, the engine light came on right when it turned 20000 miles. Only other warranty items so far have been the hatch handle and a center wheel cap (the metal cover with the Olds emblem fell off some where after the dealer rotated the tires). I expect this can easily happen if the tech is not careful how he take the cap off (it's only pressed on). BTW, I need a new hatch handle again. I'll have them fix this as well. Also had the power slider serviced twice under recall.
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    There are over 100 trouble codes that will turn on the service engine light. And yes a loose gas cap is one, and from reading these boards, probably the most common cause. I had a similar experience, light came on, I knew about gas cap problem, replaced cap, light went off after about 10 minutes. About a week later light came on again, thought it was gas cap, tried same trick, didn't work. Took it is about 3 weeks later and 2 tanks of fuel, ended up being a crankshaft sensor needed recalibration.
    At any rate remove and replace the cap, and make sure you secure it tightly, if light doesn't go off then keep your appointment.
    I live in sunny Texas and have a GLS van. It has dark tinted side/back windows. Question: Does this work adequately for heat rejection in the summer in southern states, or is a aftermarket tint job recommended? Its so dark on the factory glass on the sides I was wondering if I should get it tinted. Even the side front door glass seems tinted already from the factory. It might be too dark with tint.

I am asking now I can get a bit of a deal maybe now in off season.

THanks,

DD
    Thank you for your response regarding my van's engine light. I do understand that there are many things that can trigger the light to come on. With this vehicle, I opted not to purchase the service manuals as I no longer have the luxury of time to fix it myself (I used to). I'll try the gas cap trick, though the dealer told me they must reset the light.

In any event, I'm still under warranty until the end of the year, so if it is something more than a loose cap, I want the dealer to fix or replace it.

I'll keep everyone posted...
  • 69cad69cad Member Posts: 6
    Yesterday Tauberj mentioned that the hatch handle had to be replaced twice. Mine also has been replaced twice. They replaced the origninal after 2 years, then the new one immediately broke. I do not feel that I was being rough with it. Now I rarely use it because I am afraid of breaking it. Have many others had the hatch handle break?

Other than that we have had fantastic service from the van. We love it. Had a couple problems over the years. Problems with sliding door when new, ignition switch and key problem once where the key/ignition switch locked up so you could not start the van. van had to be towed to the dealer to fix that. It is a '99 purchased in November of 1998. Everything on it except the entertainment center. My parents liked mine so much that they bought one. They have a 2000 Premiere.
  • offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    Re above and had similar problem on Chevy Venture 2000.

There are approx 100 items that can trigger the service engine soon light, The biggest pain is having to go to the dealer to get it re set.

On the gas cap, you must make the rachet noise to ensure locked down. (In NJ no self service, so you have to listen for the pump jock to do it.)

Our problem came when the fuel guage sender unit was replaced and the gasket on the tank did not seat properly causing an air leak etc.

There is a self corrective situation that after three ignition cycles it should turn off the light, if say you have resent the gas cap.
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    Although I haven't had this problem, many posters have reportedsimilar problems with multiple breakings of interior rear hatch handle. Yes this is a common problem. I don't use the handle for this reason, its just as easy to grab over the bottom lip of the hatch to pull it down.
    Have the dealer replace your broken one under warranty and then don't use it anymore.
    Just wanted to post an update regarding my engine light problem. I dropped the van back to the dealer for service yesterday and they told me that they found a leak in the Evap System. The code given by my van's computer was P0442. They ordered parts (including the replacement handle). Anyway, one more trip to the dealer and all should be well, I hope.

As for the hatch handle, I never use it. My wife has to as she is shorter than I. She isn't rough when closing the hatch. The handle is poorly designed. I was hoping GM would design a better replacement for it as it seems to be an ongoing problem.

I'll keep you posted! :-)
    The title of the P0442 code in the service manual is "Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Control System Small Leak Detected" so maybe your dealer found the problem or maybe the van just told them what its problem was. There are 4 full pages in the service manual devoted to diagnosing, curing and confirming the source of this code, so if your dealer can not fix it, they need to read the manual again. Best of luck!
    Clair, thank you for your response. Makes me wish I had purchased the manuals as I am interested in the details. I'm going to trust the service dept. at my dealership as they have been very good so far. Since the first diagnosis was a loose gas cap, they seem to have made some progress. I am curious as to exactly which parts they ordered. I'll report back next week once it is fixed.

As for the recurring handle breakage, I may opt to make my own strap once the van is out of warranty. I remember the straps on old leather luggage lasting longer than the luggage itself. Now if I can get gray leather die to match the gray leather seats, I'll be in business.
    Just changed out the factory oil in the 2002 Silhouette Premiere AWD. 4.5 quarts of Mobil-1 5W30 + Mobil-1 filter + tax = $34.50. The oil life monitor was at 34% (indicating about 5000 miles total life). 3341 miles and 125 days on the clocks. After switching to the synthetic, I will let the oil life monitor run to 0% before the next change. The VersaTrak continues to perform as hoped for in the snow. Found the best so far description of the system on the Buick site. I guess that we have a very exclusive model, KBB says that the two-tone interior is no longer in production, and the six captain chair version has ended also.
    Wow, your van sounds neat. Versatrack is very cool. Owning a part-time 4x4 truck I know the disadvantage of that system - having to go in and out of 4x4 in partially cleared snow, etc.

I did not know Olds made an all captains chair option. I have 4 CC and a bench in the back.

Mobil 1 is my oil of choice - Good plan, except for two things.

1. make sure you check the level frequently if you are doing extended oil changes as these newer engines are "looser" on the rings to give more fuel milage and you could end up pretty low. I would not rely on the oil level alert, that is probably set pretty low and by that time you might have done some damage.

2. I personally would not wait until "zero" oil life to change it, even as good as Mobil 1 is. I had a turbo car with a manual trans and I swear I could feel the engine run with more power after a fresh shot of Mobil 1! 5,500 is as far as I'd go on it, but it will go a bit farther I'm sure. I don't have that oil life feature on my '98 so I don't know how good that is.

( I have a story about Mobil1 -- At a CART race and one of the teams was sponsored by another motor oil. I happened to be watching from a balcony above the pits during qualifying, and the mech had the motor cover off the car, and the mech comes over and checks the level and then grabs a bottle of Mobil1 and pours it into the "XYZ Motor Oil" sponsored car! I was laughing, the mechanic must have felt the sponsor's oil was not well suited to high performance engines!)

ps. for those who are following, I'm getting some 6.5" component speakers to add to my stock radio and get the tweaters up near my ears on front and back. I have a 50watt RMS x 4 chan amp I could use to boost the stock radio's signal, but I must be getting old the hassle doesn't seem worth it given I hardly crank it anymore. The stock radio with the bass tube should be enough.

On the suspension, I was following a suggestion and thinking of going with 4 air bags instead of springs. I could lower it when I wanted to which would look interesting and keep the flexability of variable ride stiffness. I have heard you need beefy shocks to keep it from bouncing, so they would have to be available as well.
  • letsgetmikeyletsgetmikey Member Posts: 82
    I had my service engine soon light come on on my '01 Silo a couple of weeks ago. Took it to the dealer:

"New Calibration. 12213574 New calibration to eliminate false P1404 Codes".

Whatever that means.

1.4 hours ($84) plus shop supplies ($8.40) plus tax ($7.62)= $100.02.

Was surprised that wasn't covered under extended warranty (I'm out of the 36K mile warranty).

Mikey
    After the service engine light episode (see previous post), my wife started hearing strange noises out of the front of her '97 Silo.

Took it to local mechanic, who immediately said I had transmission problems he couldn't handle, so I went to a local transmission place that came highly recommended.

Seems the transmission pump bearings failed, leading to all sorts of unpleasantries inside the tranny. Picked it up on Friday to the tune of $1778 repair bill. Ouch. And this on a van with 57k miles on it.

Mechanic showed me all the parts that went, including pump housing, shafts, and just about anything else that moved.

I did ask about buying a rebuilt transmission, but he advised against it, saying that the rebuilts he's seen were mostly junk, many times reusing worn components.

He did say that GM has recently been using less robust pump components, and older transmissions were less likely to have this type failure.

Mikey
    What extended warranty do you have? How many miles do you have? and What state do you live in that taxes labor?
  • kmdmbmkmdmbm Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me if the '02 Silhouette has the speed controlled volume on the radio. Thinking of trading my Grand Caravan for one of these, and am hoping they have that feature. Thanks
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Don't know if they have it but I just got a 02 Cavalier with it so I would think it would be availible on a Silhouette, if I can get it on a cheap Cavalier. Should be able to have the dealer change it out if you can't since the opening should be the same on all GM products.
  • kmdmbmkmdmbm Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me if the '02 Silhouette has the speed controlled volume on the radio. Thinking of trading my Grand Caravan for one of these, and am hoping they have that feature. Thanks
    Yes, all three 2002 Silhouette radios have SCV. The GL base is the CD only with CD & cassette option. The GLS & Premiere base is the CD & cassette with the 6-CD changer option.
    My '01 has the GM Protection Plan, the one that Olds is giving away on all new cars. It's a year old now, with 43k miles.

So far, hasn't "protected" me.

Don't even get me started on sales tax. I live in Tennessee, a state that lives or dies on sales tax. Everything is subject to sales tax except prescription drugs, medical procedures, haircuts, and lawyer fees (really). We are getting killed on a very high tax that's avoidable (internet, shopping in nearby states - there's eight of 'em that border us and no place in TN is more than 60 miles from another state). It's not deductible on Federal taxes, hits lower income people especially hard, and it keeps going up - soon to be near 9%.

The sales tax on my transmission adventure was $135.

Mikey
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Yeah, but there's no state income tax there (yet). Plus 1/4th of you can easliy drive to Georgia for cheap gas and lottery tickets (not to mention Tunica for the gamblers in the western 1/2). Plus you can legally eat your road kill. What's not to like about Tennessee?

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Ok, from your post it appears that all that was done was a software upgrade download to your engine control computer (ECM or PCM). Keeping in mind that the flawed software was there when you bought the car. It just took 43k to show up. Your ECM/PCM is covered by an 8yr/80,000 mile warranty. I am wondering shouldn't the software be covered to? Plus to charge a repeat buyer for a franchise that is going away would seam to go against what Olds is trying to accomplish with its increased rebate and warranty. AH, the warranty. Surfed Olds' site, it appears the warranty they are giving away is the GMPP Major Guard, the best coverage. http://www.gmprotectionplan.com/gmpp/majorguard.pdf shows a sample agreement. I do not see anything under the exclusions which would keep this from being covered. Try calling the 800 number you have for GMPP and see if Labor Operation J6355 (should be on your repair order) is covered. I think the dealer should owe you a refund and apology. Good luck and post back.
    The code on the ticked is J380LZ-1 and listed as General Work.

Actually, I had such a hard time getting the van looked at by the dealer, I was glad to get the heck out of there, $100 or not.

I brought the van in very early, so I could wait on it, they don't take appointments.

I was told that it would take until the next afternoon to get it in the shop, and I'd have to leave it. No good, since I had taken a day off work and driven 60 miles to get there. No loaners, either.

I asked if I could make an appointment to wait on it: "NO, we don't take appointments."

After I asked if there was any way it could get done that day, service advisor became very annoyed and called shop manager to check...said it would be a couple of hours. Fine, I said, and this really made service advisor mad. Said they didn't like people waiting on cars because it made them nervous! (They have a waiting room). I thought it was a joke at first, but it became obvious it wasn't. I was told not to bother coming up and asking when it would be done, either.

I never raised my voice, or said anything to provoke this little episode.

Whew! I walked over to a McDonalds, had a nice, long breakfast, and came back a couple hours later. About an hour after that, I was told about the calibration problem, and it would take an hour to fix.
    "Great! Is this covered under the extended warranty?"
    "YOU DIDN'T TELL ME YOU HAD AN EXTENDED WARRANTY!!!"
    "Well, gee, I bought the van here just last year, and it's the warranty you give away on all Olds".
    "Well, now I have to make phone calls because of you!". This was after giving a little old lady a lot of grief about a warranty claim.
    Came back a bit later, and said that since it was only a labor bill, no parts, it wasn't covered.
    Whew, just gimme the ticket and let me outta here.

This was really sad, since it has been the best dealer I'd ever bought from. No sales gimmicks, good service up to now. I guess these people are going to lose their jobs when Olds goes and they just don't care anymore.

Or maybe they were just having a bad day. I'm really not sure what happened. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for one bad episode.

I did get a profuse phone apology from the service manager afer I complained. Even offered to let me make an appointment next time.

Mikey
  • rjtprjtp Member Posts: 1
    I've looked over the posts on this. Looks like a) loose gas cap b) emission valve, c) crankshaft sensor d)P0442 code - Evap Emission Control Leak Detected e) P1404 Code - New calib.12213574 New calib to eliminate false P1404 code. Are there any other causes? I filled up the tank, and turned the cap until it clicked. Drove it for 2 1/2 days then late in day, my wife picked up the kids from school and the light came on. Saw a post about resetting the light after 3 ignition cycles - if it's a loose cap this would fix it. If it's something else, I would guess not. Any other comments.

Second, what is the recommended fix for the yellow front lights that have condensation that's persistent. I've seen the posts for silicone and drilling a hole in the bottom, and also the post to replace them. Also one of my fog lights has standing water in it. Can these be picked up in aftermarket. The van has 26K miles on it and is still under the original factory warranty.

Also saw the posts on the power silder. Is the recall a fix for the welds or just an actuator switch as GM cust service indicated on the phone?
    All I can tell you on the fog lamps is that the dealer is pretty proud of them and if you need to replace them they are pretty expensive. My stockers both are history with rock hits cracking the lenses pretty badly.

I get harbor freight tool catalogs and they had some "driving lights" normally like $14.99 for sale for about $7.99 a pair! I could not resist adding that to my other stuff on my order and they arrived over the weekend. I have not yet tried to install them. But they sure look like they are the same size and everything. I know I will have to redo the wiring to get them working, but still for the price, I'll try it.

Of course I'm keeping some sweatshop in China going...

Oh, and I was looking at my speakers and found out one of my Silo's previous owners had some decent coaxial speakers added! BonusI had assumed they were stockers behind the stock openings.
  • silo01silo01 Member Posts: 3
    This sounds like the same problem that I had. It ended up being the seal around the gas tank. They replaced it and I haven't had a problem since.
  • biga1biga1 Member Posts: 1
    Took it to the dealer - the said it was the Evap Emission Solenoid thta needs to be replaced.
    Update...I called the dealer yesterday as parts were order to fix the problem 2 weeks agao. I asked what they ordered and I was told an Evap. Valve and a connector. Ironically, the light hasn't come back on since the last visit, but they told me they still have to fix it. I'm awaiting the arrival oif the evap valve. I guess these aren't a popular stock item at the parts distribution center.