Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• r2917r2917 Member Posts: 67
    I still have no idea why the U.S. version didn't get the cooled seats that us Canucks got. I guess they did it this way so next year they can add it as a new standard feature.

Anyway, there are I think 3 (could be 4) settings for both cooling and heating. I only tried out the cooling for a minute or two so can't fully comment on how well it works. When I take delivery of the car I'll see if it is as good as the Lexus LS430's cooled seats. Those work well.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    All other preferences that you mention are your choice to make, so I wouldn't argue against those. I simply questioned your logic on HP/torque.
  • kfhmailkfhmail Member Posts: 199
    But really now...how often do you try (or need) to get to 60 in under 7 seconds. I know people look at cars for their performance...but...does it really matter if it is 6 seconds or 6.7 or 7 or 8 seconds? After you have had the car for a few weeks or months are you still really interested/concerned with how fast to 60 mph?

To me, the stated rating just gives me something to compare the "pick-up" power to another vehicle.

I want to be able to enter an interstate without worry or be able to get out of someone's way...but whether it is 6.7 or 7 seconds probably will not matter...

Anyway...to each his own...

I like the car and the power it has.
    The local Huntsville Acura dealership is having an end of month sale on all their cars including the RL.

They show a Was price and a NOW price

Was price is $50,264

Now price is $48,791

Was price includes $379 for paint sealant (WHY ???) plus $338 for protection package that includes mud flaps, trunk tray and wheel locks).
    (one odd thing the price on the actual sticker shows a price of 50,135 instead of 50,264 ???)

So this is roughly $1,500 off list (or $1200 of without the sealant).

How does this compare with some of the deals people are getting?

I would prefer another $2500 to $3000 off, guess I will have to wait a little longer...plus I have not seen all the color options (have seen white, black and celestia? silver).
  • safeldersafelder Member Posts: 60
    There's no question in my mind that the RL is a fantastic car, and I may well find myself in one next time, or even regretting my decision this time. It was not an easy decision to make.

But for now, I suppose, I'm content to be young and foolish...and subjected to the whim of the road.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Also, I think when the '95 Maxima first came out, C & D must've tested a ringer, because I have not seen that 0-60 time duplicated since. Subsequent tests of auto versions, as you mentioned, were all in the low to mid 8's. I had a '95 auto Max, and my seat-of-the-pants impression is that the car was slightly slower than our '02 Accord V6 with 200hp, which I have seen consistently tested at around 7.6 - 7.8.
  • outtabeemerouttabeemer Member Posts: 1
    Love the keyless operation and all, but less than a week into owning this beautiful car, wondering how I can check that the door is locked without unlocking the door - so on any other car I lock the door and check by raising the door handle...

Today I tried to lock the car with the remote and somehow managed to get all the windows to open about an inch. Had to get in and start the car again to raise them. What did I do?

Thanks all for helping a new kid. BTW, traded in my 2003 BMW 7 series for this car. Yes I know it is a smaller car. The ride is FAR better. Unbelievable feeling for the road.

Outtabeemer
  • lynnminnylynnminny Member Posts: 49
    Outtabeemer,

You can set up the car so it makes a little beep to let you know that the doors are locked. When I run my hand over the dimple on the door, it beeps(not a loud car horn, but loud enough to hear)

It is a fun car to drive!!

Lynnminny
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I suppose the other way is simply to stand close enough to see the flashing LED on the dash, but I think Outtabeemer was referring to how to manually check. (Many of us old-timers still instinctively don't feel assured until we check manually! It's like walking into the office and instinctively checking your fly!)

I have a related question. When you walk up to the car with the remote fob, does the transponder unarms/unlock the car, so that the lights flash and the beeper beeps even before you pull the door handle?
  • patrick3patrick3 Member Posts: 31
    jjacura,

thanks for sending the pic's. Huge difference with the 20" wheels...looks awesome! I plan to do my homework and see if there is a 20" wheel that will work for the car and not sacrifice ride and handling. I'll let everyone know if I find a package that works.
  • steveaccordsteveaccord Member Posts: 108
    I can understand at least some of your statements (in this and a later post you offered) and buy into the age classification of your choice but allow me to correct you on the merit of what may be the decisive factor that leads a tad less younger people to opt for other choices when it comes down to purhcase an high quality car: wisdom. The old say .... with age comes wisdom.... supports some of your claims and while you enjoy getting strapped to your back seat during acceleration, as much as I or any 40 to 90 yo person would, we do not like, based on our own experience of having purchased fun cars when younger just like you did, to become acquainted on a first name basis with our mechanic in the repair shop.
    Of course I am not saying that you'll necessarily run your Audi on the autobahn to self destruction (and in fact I wish you the greatest enjoyment for many years to come with your prized new possession) but simply that JD Power data show that too high a price is paid to reliability issues with european cars.
    That is indeed, as you may have guessed, the reason why with age you may reconsider your youth decisions and decide that indeed there is not too much fun in a car that forces you to step down just when you do not have the time or desire (yes life tends to get busier and busier and owning a less reliable car is not so desirable).

Once again enjoy your Audi, I still enjoy driving occasionaly the german imports owned by friends (usually when extra cargo is needed and we swap them for our Honda SUV) and you are right it is really a lot of fun to feel pushed as hard as VW, Audi, BMW can do (especially when you know you are not stuck with them in any long term relationship and the car orror stories you hear from your friends do not affect your night sleep). :-)

On another topic. Kudos to ROBERTSMX and the usual excellent analysis trying to offer a more balanced view of what are the apple and the orangesand the other produce to be compared. It's indeed futile to pretend that the garbling of features, specs etc., made in all possible comparisons (I have not seen rockets yet but who knows it may only be a matter of time) will stay quiet for long but I still plaude the brave souls that like you bring their technical knowledge to offer plausible perspectives.

Well I hope the sometime slightly humorous tone of the post will be enjoyed by most and conclude that to this day I cannot come up with a vehicle that beats the RL when price/performance/reliability and safety considerations are given ( I almost forgot to suggest that the supposed RL obesity of earlier posts may simply spring from the new ACE structure, beside SH-AWD, and I do not mind carrying a few extra pounds if their are need to keep me safer).
    Truly,

Steve
    It is funny how different people can be. One person who says they are young likes to have that "harsher" ride and feeling the kick whenever the car drops gears. Then there is me who likes the total opposite. I like a nice smooth ride and smooth shifts. I am trading in an IS300 which I love driving but when compared to my parents' LS430, I'll take the LS430 any day of the week because the ride is so amazing. I like luxury and smoothness.

I'm 26 and can't wait to take delivery of my RL. I find it to be a nice balance between the LS and the IS.

I also am wondering how people can tell the difference between a car doing 0-60 in 6.7 seconds and one doing it in say 6.3. Apparently some MUST be able to tell which is why they come here to complain about the RL's acceleration. I guess I have yet to acquire that skill where I can tell the difference between 0.3 seconds.:)

Rob
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I find it's easier to tell the difference between a car going 6.3 & 6.7 than let's say 8.3 & 8.7. This is generally the case because the quicker the car goes the more power it needs (seems like stating the obvious); the power requirements are not linear.

If you drive a 5.7 and then a 5.3 the "feeling" is more dramatic.

There may be other factors too that give impressions of quicker acceleration. 30 to 50 and 50 to 70 times, throttle response, and comparing the RL to others with 6 speed transmissions.

Either way, 6.7 is pretty quick. If I recall correctly that is the time of late 80's Corvettes.
  • bghormbghorm Member Posts: 7
    When you run your finger over the dimple, you will get a flash/beep (if that's what you programmed the settings for). Once you lock it, however, you have 2 SECONDS to pull on the handle to check if it's locked, before the unlocking sensor kicks back in. I just learned this from the manual the other day and it is true. Also, the only way the transponder will unlock your car when you walk up and before you grab the handle, is if you manually press the unlock button on the remote. Otherwise, you must grab the door handle.

Cheers.
  • bghormbghorm Member Posts: 7
    You probably hit the unlock button on the remote twice... when you press the unlock button two times, if you hold it down the second time, all windows and the sunroof will open (remotely) while you are away from the car. When you release the unlock button, these "openings" stop at that point.
  • safeldersafelder Member Posts: 60
    There's no question in my mind that I'd spend considerably less time in the shop with the RL than with the A6, and that my visits would be cheaper as well. The Audi salesman has also admitted as much (under reasonably light cross-examination by me).

I suppose that the theory I'm operating under is that a German car with an extended warranty is just as good as a Japanese car, but for the time I spend going to and from the shop. Shop timeisn't all that big a deal since they're giving me a free loaner anyhow, and the Audi dealer is much closer to my house than the Acura dealer.

Also, I'm already on a first name basis with my service advisor and the Audi service manager--my wife and I have two Audis currently, and I make it a point to meet these people. It makes it easier to get what I want when I want it.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Finally, after multiple test drives of a few cars, I've made a decision. The frontrunners were the '05 RL, 04/05 E500, and CTS-V. The winner ended up being...

drum roll please

The '05 Audi A6 4.2!!

I know! I'm just as shocked as you are! Where'd that one come from??? It wasn't even a remote consideration, but I tried it at the recommendation of some forum brethren on another forum and was stunned! I'll be placing my order today!

2005 Audi A6 4.2
    Brilliant Black w/ Amaretto interior
    Sport Package
    Navigation
    Voice Recognition
    Bose sound w/ Sirius
    Cold Weather Package
    Advanced Key (keyless go)
    Power rear shade and manual side shades

I have the sale price, but I won't give it (in case one of them reads these forums) until I've made my deposit and have the price in writing from the dealer; which will be this morning.
    Congrats!
    I just always leave my remote in my purse,( never take it out), or have it in a jacket pocket. It doesn't unlock or beep until I put my hand on the door handle, and then it beeps and the door unlocks. I have mine set so that only the driver's door unlocks when I put my hand on the handle.

Lynnminny
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    I think those 20 inch tires/ wheels look fabulous. The tires could be ordered through a Tire store that handles Michelin. But thinking you may want to go through Acura for the right alloy wheels.
    Putting those 20 inchers on reminds me of my son who has a BMW M3 and for winter driving he ordered out separate custom wheels with mounted low profile winter tread tires. Everything works beautifully until the snows come and then those close tolerances around the wheel well start talking back to him as the snow builds up inside. He waits now for the snowplows to take care of the roads before he drives it.
    Incidently Lynn, FYI these remotes cost $500 each to replace. These are one set of remotes a person would never want to lose!
  • adam_kelleyadam_kelley Member Posts: 24
    Are you serious? $500 to replace the remotes? Is that $250 each? And is this a quote from a dealer?
    Putting things into the right perspective again, as usual, the Quintessential Honda Man, Mr Steve. Kudos my man!
    It was my dealer rep and it is $500 Each! Labor cost alone is $80 to set one up.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Essentially their "sale" is sticker price.
    Each Remote is $326....add the Key for $61...add the labor charge to set it up...$88...total $475 plus tax. (Safeguard your remote!)
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    And NEVER give it to a valet (use the "valet" key).
    I see it as roughly a $900 - $1000 off sticker.

If you include the extras...to include the worthless paint sealant($300 plus) then you are getting roughly $1500 off sticker. Plus they have the protection package included ($300 plus).

If you take off the sealant and the protection package you get a price approximately 900 - 1000 under sticker(including destination).

I agree that is not much, but my point is that they are advertising them for $1000 under sticker...so...you could probably get a little more off.
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    >>And NEVER give it to a valet (use the "valet" key).

Of course, if you give the valet the "valet key" he will then have access to the trunk which you may not want. Also, if you give him the valet key, you'll have to remove the cover from the key hole which is just one more thing to deal with.
    Agreed. I'm just not going to let the valet's drive my car! Basically, anyone once inside the car can just pop the trunk with the trunk release button. There's no avoiding that.
  • ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    its all bogus. in a unofficial random test i run on many of my v8 driving friends, none of them can count 6 seconds in their mind or tell the difference between 5&6 or 6&7 seconds...

99.9732% of people who complain about a 0.3 or 0.5 second difference are lying. bring on the flames.

i test drove the RL yesterday, finally. Lets get the bad news out of the way, I don't think despite my love for Acura cars, this is something I'll buy unless it sells closer to invoice in a couple of years.

Positives, this is the best handling sedan i've driven. I took it out on a loopy road up here that I use to toss around my bmw 3. The car almost went through it all with very good composure. I think, in my perception, it handled better than the 5 I drove on the same road. I think a s2000 or boxter or my 3 edges it out on that curvy road, but hey, they are not even in the same size class! I did some turns at 30 or 40 or 50 or 60 that i'd not dare to do in a midsize at half those speeds, i'd even hesitate to do in a 540 that i recently test drove.

The overall appeal was spectacular in almost all respects. so many many little nice details are put into the car that you will only notice after days or months of ownership..... I was however not impressed with the noise level in the car. It was noisier than what i expected. It felt as noisy as my 3 convertible with sport suspension ... that's not a good thing. I test drove an XJ8L, then drove to the acura dealership, and the difference in noise level was very noticeable...

The car looks far better in person, but somehow, it just didn't make my heart beat faster or slower or irregular. It is a shape that'll likely grow on me, but, it just didn't tickle me. Even the old RL tickled me on the good side... and i'm a guy who actually likes the looks of the controversial bmw 7 and 5.

I wont comment on the sound system, it sounded better than the TL and the TL pretty much beats 99% of car sound systems out there...

The display/dash are fabulous and as usual the NAV is better than 98% of what's on the market... another "as usual" for acura i think. The switches felt good. The dash pictures make the dash look cheap and silvery, in real life it looks appropriately sized and actually very cool.

I loved the comfort of the front seats, excellent bolstering for the twists i did, but the back bench was very uncomfortable and I always dislike the hump in the center. This is not a 760i or a XJ8 Vandan Plas to be a chauffer driven 2 rear passenger kinda car... just give us a nice comfortable flat bench in the back!

Anyway, i'm not convinced enough to go into the RL, atleast not at msrp. Past the launch of the M35/45, it'll all rechange, i'm sure!

ksso
    >>Agreed. I'm just not going to let the valets drive my car! Basically, anyone once inside the car can just pop the trunk with the trunk release button. There's no avoiding that.

I don't believe that is correct. If you have things set right and don't give the valet the valet key, he can't just pop the trunk. Of course, I still avoid letting a valet have my car, if at all possible. Almost no one drives my car except me!!
    excellent feedback.

I agree about the dash and how in the pics it looks "cheaper" and more silvery but in real life it is very elegant. The interior just flat out impressed me. I kept reading people say it was Lexus like in material and fit/finish but I questioned if they were being tuthful. Turns out they were.

I am trading in an IS300 so I have a sedan to compare the handling to but based on the test drive I felt the RL handles quite nicely especially for its size. I made a comment on the way back to the dealership about how it doesn't feel like a car that is as big as it is. My parents own an LS430 (I'd still say this is my favourtie car I have driven/been in) that I have driven quite a lot in the past and it feels its size while the RL is pretty much equal in size but doesn't feel that big.

When you mention noise do you mean just overall noise or mostly road/tire noise? I didn't pay much attention to the noise level but I will obviously pay attention to it once I take delivery. When I do, I'll be able to compare it to the LS430's noise level...or should I say lack of noise level.:) I do know the car is quieter than the IS300 but that is to be expected.

Anyway, great feedback and I enjoyed reading it.
  • reallegendreallegend Member Posts: 28
    If you decide to allow a valet to park your car, and you want to restrict access to the trunk, you first need to turn off remote access to the trunk via the switch that is located in the glove box. This will prevent any remote access to the trunk. Second, you must lock your glove box with the key inside the FOB (remote). Then you give the FOB, not the key, to the valet.

Nobody can start or drive the car without the FOB in their possession.

That's the basic process. If you don't like or trust it, then park the car yourself. I much prefer to do that.

Hope this helps explain the process.
  • munromunro Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Acura RL. Can I erase a particular destination from the "PREVIOUS DESTINATION" screen. I don't want girlfriend #2 to see that I've got girlfriend #1's address on the screen.
    >>I have a 2004 Acura RL. Can I erase a particular destination from the "PREVIOUS DESTINATION" screen. I don't want girlfriend #2 to see that I've got girlfriend #1's address on the screen.

Yes, you can. I believe you go under Personal Settings and delete previous addresses. If that doesn't work, try the Setup button and click on previous destinations.
  • munromunro Member Posts: 2
    Thankyou
    I believe there is a switch in the glove compartment that secures the trunk release. and the valet can't open your glove compartment with the valet key.

but like nebraskaguy I rarely let anyone drive my car except my wife and I'm riding shotgun when that happens. ;-)
  • sacguysacguy Member Posts: 27
    Hi TayLOrd,
    Did you get a discount on the A6? What made you decide to get the A6 vs. the RL? How was the ride in the A6, the noise level? Any other thoughts from your testing and shopping? The A6 was not on my radar either nor was the BMW 5 series, but now they are both on my list after reading other forums!!

sacguy
    can you play regular movie DVDs in the navigation system? I have seen it done on Lexus nav systems (I know you could on the LX470 nav) so I'm curious if you can on the RL. I would guess if it can, it'd be like the LX nav and the car would have to be in park with the parking break on before it displayed the video. It would be pretty cool to have that ability.
  • patrick3patrick3 Member Posts: 31
    Fortunately for me, it's 75 and blue skies 80% of the time in SoCal. No snow tires needed out here.
    "I believe there is a switch in the glove compartment that secures the trunk release. and the valet can't open your glove compartment with the valet key."

Checking furthur on this there is a switch in the glove compartment that locks the trunk releases but the removable key that locks the glove compartment goes with you and the valet gets the remote! (Also don't forget to lock the pass thru door to the trunk in the back seat.)
    That doesn't make sense. The valet gets the $500 remote?! Not on my car. That's smart designing! ;) It should be that the valet key only unlocks the driver's door and starts the ignition. What's the purpose of a valet key otherwise?
    Thanks for that info. Hard to believe they cost that much, but it is a remarkable little remote:)

Lynnminny
  • soapkngsoapkng Member Posts: 21
    I looked at most of the cars listed on this board - the Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, etc. I went with the RL for a number of reasons and, after two weeks with it so far, I love it! Yes, the styling can be a bit 'dull', but it really has some nice lines. The lighting is great with the new led's, the doorhandles are beautiful, the interior is top notch and so ergonomic - the great cupholders alone are worth the cost. The nav and traffic is amazing, though I've learned already (living in LA with the most comprehensive reported system) that it can be a good 10-20 minutes behind what's actual and that can be enough to let you run into a jam, but even with that, the nav is excellent at getting you there with tremendous accuracy (it recalculates so fast if/when you go off the intended route). The bluetooth is awesome ( I have a V710)! The handling is near what my 528 was (ok, I say this with a grain of salt, but for a Japanese car it comes pretty damn close!) with great steering feel, no dead center and great responsiveness. The auto shifts like butter and if you put it in manual mode the paddle shifters work flawlessly. The SH-AWD does a great job if you throw the car into a turn - It's great to watch the dash (when the wheel isn't in the way) and see the graphic of where the car is distrubuting power as it throws the extra power to the outer rear wheel to get you through. The stereo is amazing, especially if you throw in a DVD-audio and enjoy the true 5.1 surround. The active noice-cancelling tech works to really quiet the car to a vault-like silence and makes talking on the phone through the bluetooth a pleasure. I'm not crazy about the button on the handle to lock the doors, an actual button (as my recent Touareg had) worked much better, but it's still a nice feature. The remote has nice range and the lights (which turn with the steering) also work really well to light a turn. I am a bit disappointed in the mileage so far - averaging about 16 mixed with only about 24 on pure highway, not really up to the 18/26 (or so - I can't remember the exact numbers) as predicted. I wish the rear seat folded too, as this is the first japanese car I've known that doesn't, but it's worth it for the sound system, remote-folding hearests and power sunshade - and the great rear sub-woofer. I also wish we (in the US) could get the RL with the air-conditioned seats as I read can be had in Canada - I mean, I live in the hot climate, why do they get it? I wanted to get aftermarket 18" rims (why the hell would I pay the dealer $2,500 for those ugly chrome ones (the only ones they offer) when they'd then take the 17" ones with no exchange...I mean, I will get 18" and then sell my 17" and probably break even and have a hot set of rims. BUT, I can't get any rims yet since Acura apparently changed the lug and hub layout and size...so I wait patiently for the wheel manufactures to create some options for this ride. Ok, I think that's enough...I can go on, but you get the idea...overall it's a great car, no regrets, but there are a few improvements it can make. Oh, one pet peave on the car - even if the light switch is on 'auto' (where you should never have to touch it and it should do its job), the car still beeps at you when you shut the car off and open the door. The only cure is to turn the switch to off (and I usually just return it back to 'auto' so when I re-enter the car they will come on as needed), but, since the dash lights the same way day or night, it is easy (as I have done already) to drive away with the lights out if you thought it was in auto and you are in a city area - that's quite a run-on sentence!

Any questions?
  • soapkngsoapkng Member Posts: 21
    So, I have this great new RL with 17" rims and the only option to go to 18's are the dealers ugly chrome ones! I checked with a few wheel companies and, apparantly, Acura changed the lug and hub layout/size so no existing wheels fit. Does anyone know otherwise and/or a manufacture that has come out with any options for this application? Thanks for the help!
    >>I am a bit disappointed in the mileage so far - averaging about 16 mixed with only about 24 on pure highway, not really up to the 18/26 (or so - I can't remember the exact numbers) as predicted

I've only taken one road trip, so far, but I got 26-28 mpg. I'm satisfied.
    >>That doesn't make sense. The valet gets the $500 remote?! Not on my car. That's smart designing! ;) It should be that the valet key only unlocks the driver's door and starts the ignition. What's the purpose of a valet key otherwise?

I tend to agree. However, if you're going to trust the valet with your $50k RL, why worry about the $500 remote.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Yes, one question: Are you opposed to the use of paragraphs in writing?

Great information in your post, but painfully difficult to read. Perhaps I'm just an old fashioned, old school fart. I could manage your final run on sentence fine, it was the previous 30 strung together that had me swimming.

Glad you like your RL (at least I think you do):-)
    "I also wish we (in the US) could get the RL with the air-conditioned seats as I read can be had in Canada - I mean, I live in the hot climate, why do they get it?"

Contrary to what many americans think it gets quite hot all over the country here. Where I am (Ontario) our summers are quite hot and humid.

Still have no idea why the cooled seats aren't on the U.>S RL