Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I hear ya! I think children learn this "skill" at a very young age, and it stays with them!
  • mungoacmungoac Member Posts: 16
    Welcome to the club. But if the door lock is your only problem, perhaps you should consider yourself lucky. On the other hand, if you're in MSP, perhaps you should jump for joy if the damn thing even starts. I spent 5-6 years there in the 60's and owned a Jag. I still wonder how I survived. Stay warm...
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    Just returned from Houston where we were entertained beyond words by our grand daughters etc but because we flew I really missed driving the new RL. Now that we are safely back (Hate flying in fog!), it was great to get behind the wheel again of this fabulous car. As luck would have it snow finally fell and lots of it but by the time we returned the streets were almost DRY. Really looking forward to driving this thing in the snow now...chomping at the bit. So I"m going to catch up on all the posts I missed. Always enjoy reading MarkCincinnati and the on going posts comparing RL to Audi etc. Have one thing to add this time. Test Drive it Mark. Test Drive it. You have ogled this car long enough...test drive it and I promise you and the Mrs. will enjoy it very very much!
  • lynnminnylynnminny Member Posts: 49
    Well, it's only supposed to be -20 this weekend!! I had an '83 Jag and it hated starting while being outside all day while I was at work!! The doors sounded like they would fall off when I got in the car:)

Lynnminny
    Have any of you registered for the Acura owners website? When you go to the regular Acura site, you can click on "owner" and can register for a site specifically for Acura owners. Think we need to all get on board and really let them know we are tired of this problem with the dimple unlocking device!

Lynnminny
  • patrick3patrick3 Member Posts: 31
    Leonardo- The ride is fantastic with the 19" wheels. No problems with the drive and there is no noticeable difference in stiffness of ride. I've promised to post pictures of the car when the weather clear's up out here.
  • acurarlblueacurarlblue Member Posts: 13
    I registered with the Ownerlink. There is no place to complaint. I called Acura Total Luxury Care (Acura TLC) 6 days ago, and still have not have anyone get back to me. Acura TLC could stand for Acura Total Lack of Care for some of us.
  • leonardoleonardo Member Posts: 4
    Looking forward to the pics. What size tires did you go with?
    I just called this number for Client Services and registered my complaint about the dimple locking device. I was given a case number and told that someone would contact me within 1-2 days. Here are the client services contact numbers:

Acura Client Services

Acura Client Services stands ready to answer questions and address concerns with your U.S. Acura vehicle. You may contact us several ways:

By Phone

Monday through Friday, 6:00am to 5:00pm Pacific Standard time at the toll-free phone number (800) 382-2238

By Fax

(310) 783-3535

By Mail

Acura Client Services

Mail Stop 500-2N-7A

1919 Torrance Blvd.

Torrance, CA 90501-2746

Hope this helps all of you!! I also mentioned that they should have a height adjustment on the front passenger power seat!

Lynnminny
  • psurlpsurl Member Posts: 3
    I have my 2005 RL for two weeks. During the first week the front brakes began to screech extremely loudly during the first 2-3 brake applications after startup. The dealer per the tech center applied a moly lube that was not applied at the factory. A week later the brakes are doing the same thing. The tech center is telling the dealer not to have me bring the car and not to do anything. The tech center said they will check with engineering, could be 2-3 three weeks. I called the customer service center, a case worker is supposed to call me back. Anyone experience this brake problem. I am not trying to rip Acura yet. But this unacceptable for a brand new $50,000 car. I turn my cars over 3 years and never had a problem this quickly with any of my Chrysler, GM, or BMW vehicles.
  • driftracerdriftracer Member Posts: 2,448
    Not to sound smart alecky, but I see this a lot with surface rust that builds up while the car sits overnight. All of my vehicles do that, and we don't live in a high humidity area - the noise is much worse, for instance, on the rear discs on my truck when backing up.

It goes away after a few applications, and has nothing to do with brake pad or rotor compound, or the effectiveness of the system itself.

The cheapening of brake rotors has a lot to do with their ability to withstand rust.
    I did that before I posted. The did not give me a case number. They did say it will take at least 3 days for a case worker to call due a unusually high number of cases. Hummmmmmm.

Thanks for the information.
    Each time you get in the car the brakes screech the 2-3 apllications and then goes away.

It seems to worsen with a change of temperature and humidity. But this is in Ohio, not Florida. Its not a little sqeak. Its an extremeely loud high pitch screeching noise that sounds similiar to the noise brake pads make when they are worn completely done to the pin.
    As far as humidity, I understand the Ohio thing, I'm in PA. Born and raised in TX, on the Gulf Coast, and you couldn't see the silver from a brake rotor after sitting overnight...just rust.

The temporary nature of the condition you're describing still leads me to believe it's humidity or temperature related, since it goes away quickly. If it were brake pad, or worse, brake caliper related, it probably wouldn't go away at all.
    Recently we have developed squeaky brakes on our new RL and I am assuming it is from all the cold damp air. It only happens the first couple of touches and goes away. (It's poring rain outside right now with thunder and lightning ..which for mid-January in Wisconsin is quite unusual.)
    near Philly...
    You may have explained why my TL also developed a slight brake squeak since the onset of colder, wetter weather. Again, it manifests itself early in the morning, or after the car has been parked for awhile. Nothing too loud, but enough to hear it with the windows rolled up.
    Ceric, I want to thank you for your follow up info dated Jan 5. We were out of town and missed it. JJ

PS. also Acuraphile...Thank you as well for your post on the same subject matter.
  • acuraphileacuraphile Member Posts: 131
    I was misinformed about the back-up sensor; I was told that it only beeped inside the car - it beeps inside AND outside and, loudly, I might add. Disturbs me, and my neighbor. Acura Service Manager, with whom I've had the best experience for over nine years, has no idea how to modify the sound. I wonder, now, if it can be toned down at all.

That aside, the RL (I've always liked this expression)is "spinning like a top!" -:) The nav system is sublimely simple, and XM radio, especially "Frank's Place," (Ch. 73), serenades me with all the tunes I've loved over the years.

I must admit though that the pleasure of owning this splendid car has been diluted by the disgraceful treatment it has afforded those of you whose problems have been ignored. Something has changed, and I don't feel like the same "Acuraphile" who chose this forum name; I'm simply another RL owner. Period.
    [acuraphile] It never occurred to me to consider Back-Up Sensors but keep working on getting them toned down. Maybe you can even get a creative version of Westminster chimes quarter hour sound out of them. Now that would be cool. I've listened to Franks Place and enjoyed those standards very much...if you like a little contemporary jazz once in a while try #71 (Watercolors) and another preset on my radio is #24 (Sunny) and we probably share #113 (XM Classical Pops) you may have had that one or #110 on during your drive to Montauk. But the absolute best sound comes from the DVD Audio discs and I find myself checking out that section of Best Buy a lot lately.
  • reallegendreallegend Member Posts: 28
    As those of us with Verizon service and Motorola V710 Bluetooth phones have discussed, it appears that a group out of California has sued Verizon over mis-representation of their Bluetooth capable v710 phone. I've attached the URL to the story below.

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=- 57701136#_

Hopefully with our added calls and memos to Verizon, this issue will be resolved allowing us to fully utilize this phone with our RL features.
    Subscribers Sue Verizon Over Disabled Phone Feature Jan. 13, 2005

Angry users claim Verizon disabled the ability to transfer files via Bluetooth on the Motorola V710 in order to collect additional network revenues.

By Mobile Pipeline News

Mobile Pipeline

A group of Verizon Wireless subscribers has sued the carrier, claiming that it advertised Bluetooth file transfer features and then disabled the features in order to collect more money.

Specifically, the Wall Street Journal reported that the users filed a suit in a California court claiming that Verizon Wireless disabled a capability in the V710 phone from Motorola that enables the transfer of files from one device to another via Bluetooth. That, in turn, requires users to perform such transfers using a Verizon network service for which there is a charge. Bluetooth is still enabled on the phone for other tasks such as using wireless headsets.

"The problem is that manufacturers make the phones with certain capabilities and advertise them," the Wall Street Journal quoted the group's attorney, Michael Kelly, as saying. "When those functions aren't there or come at a price, the buyers get very upset."

A spokesperson for the company, while refusing to comment on the specific lawsuit, told the Wall Street Journal that users should get information about the capabilities of the phone from Verizon Wireless and not from the phone manufacturer, in this case Motorola. That's because it is ultimately up to the wireless operator to determine which features are made available to users, the spokesperson said.

Part of the description of the phone on the company's Web site says: "And with Bluetooth wireless technology, you can make hands-free, eyes-free calls, and connect to your PC or PDA whenever and wherever you want."
  • gelightgelight Member Posts: 10
    Mark -- you seem to very knowledgeable about the new Acura. I drove company cars all my life until I retired and bought a '03 Accord EX 6. Now we are selling the soccer van and i like the new Acura RL, but not at $50K. My initial response on internet pricing is that they are not moving much off this price..I refuse to pay list for anything. The question is..how did you justify a new RL versus buying a pre-owned at 2$20K less? Thanks. Jon in KC
    (I must admit though that the pleasure of owning this splendid car has been diluted by the disgraceful treatment it has afforded those of you whose problems have been ignored. Something has changed, and I don't feel like the same "Acuraphile" who chose this forum name; I'm simply another RL owner. Period.)

I am happier today than it has been since I picked up the RL. After I complainted to an Acura dealership general manager about not being able to have the door handle problem (unreliable function and light always on) looked at for another 10 days, I was able to bring the car in today.

This manager happened to work for Lexus in the past. So when I compared the poor services and reponses of Acura to Lexus' customer services, He was able to understand.

I hope having someone in the Acura organization who truely understands customer services, it makes it more tolerable for some of us to work through the issues with the RL. It is a wonderful car to drive.
    http://www.handa-accessories.com/merchandise-acu.html

See last item on the page.

For anyone who may need something to protect and a means to provide a key chain attachment for the remote, this may be the answer.

It should is better than drilling a hole into the remote, which I will not do. I ordered 2, and I will report back as to how well they are made.
  • jmatthejmatthe Member Posts: 51
    Patrick3, so how is the picture coming? Looking forward to seeing it so I can decide what wheels to order. So far I like the look of your choice the best, but really would like to see them on the RL... You can E mail it to me if you cannot post it here. Jim
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hey jjacura - you need to post a link to that article. Otherwise we might be in in for some copyright issues. Can you follow up with a link that is publicly accessible?
    My concern would be that the pouch would interfere with using the buttons, same reason why many people don't like to use a leather case for their cell phones.
    I know what you're saying about the annoying beeping, but aren't back-up sensors intended to alert the driver AND warn people who may be in harm's way? So if you mute the beeps, that would kind of defeat the purpose of it, or at least part of the intended mission.
    "I know what you're saying about the annoying beeping, but aren't back-up sensors intended to alert the driver AND warn people who may be in harm's way? So if you mute the beeps, that would kind of defeat the purpose of it, or at least part of the intended mission"

Problem is: I share a driveway that is not too wide, and the noise of the beeping is enhanced by the walls. It's quite loud. I can't expose my neighbor to this. We have a very good long-term relationship. I may have to disconnect the beeper if Acura can't modify the beeping. It would be no great loss, though $500 thrown out.
  • reallegendreallegend Member Posts: 28
    Pat,

That exactly what was done when I started the thread - see # 5673.

Let's communicate to the carrier so that a correction is made available. If anyone has any updates, please let us know.
    Pat, Thanks for the heads up...I will remember that.

The URL is the same one RealLegend posted...

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=- 57701136#_
    Acuraphile, Sorry about your problem with the loudness of those sensors and I can appreciate keeping the peace with a good neighbor. There must be some way to muffle that sound to the outside somewhat and still keep it effective inside. (I didn't mean to be flip with my earlier comment about the Westminster Chimes thing and hope you didn't take it that way. By the way, you have been extremely sensitive to the folks that are having their problems with their cars in here and I'm sure it is appreciated. Can you imagine being in a forum where the vehicle has 2 or 3 times as many glitches as the new RL? Also I just wanted to thank you for your mention of "Frank's Place" on XM Satellite radio. I listened to it all day... the commentator was Jonathon Schwartz...he has amazing knowledge of the music from that era. He played a version of Sinatra's "Lady is a Tramp" that was not publicly aired before and is his favorite version. The RL sound system is unbelievable. Whenever my wife is not riding with me I amp the system to about 33 (For a person with normal hearing, 33 might be a bit loud)... :-)
    " Also I just wanted to thank you for your mention of "Frank's Place" on XM Satellite radio. I listened to it all day... the commentator was Jonathon Schwartz...he has amazing knowledge of the music from that era. He played a version of Sinatra's "Lady is a Tramp" that was not publicly aired before and is his favorite version."

JJacura:

Jonathan's father, Arthur Schwartz, (along with Howard Dietz), was a famous songriter who penned dozens of the standards that you're enjoying on "Frank's Place." I sang with some of the bands in the late 40's and 50's and am nourished musically by the profusion of tunes that were composed between the years 1930-1950. Jonathan culls them and presents the coolest jazz and standards being broadcast today.

BTW, when you open the trunk with the remote, does the lid open fully (as it did on my '96 RL) or does it just release the latch and then need to be raised manually? Mine just releases the latch and does not look open from a distance. My wife found the open trunk lid to be helpful in spotting the car in a congested lot and is hoping that it just needs some tweaking.

Enjoy this long weekend!
  • patrick3patrick3 Member Posts: 31
    Jim, my digital camera is on loan to my brother-in-law. I should get it back this week and will post it. Sorry for the delay.
    Acuraphile, It's standard for both the interior and the remote trunk release to just release the latch. This was also true on the TL so it didn't occur to me that anything is wrong but it's interesting that your '96 RL opened fully. One downfall to that I suppose would be passers by in a large mall type lot having visability to your contents. I don't know how it is in your area but even in our best suburban mall we have trouble with vandals and thieves running through the lots, checking out unlocked cars mostly. (I use my remote beeper on those rare occasions when we forget which row we are in) but usually I try to find parking spots that are less apt to bring dings.
    The remote beeps are that loud? On the TL, the beeps are so feint you couldn't hear it if you're more than 2 cars away.

I too would prefer if the trunk would open fully when unlocked with the remote. Not to make it easier to find your car, but when you have your arms full with groceries, it would be a heck of a lot easier than trying to raise the trunk with your chin or elbow!
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    When I can't find my car in a crowded lot, I would use the theft alarm to locate it. Forget about parking lot etiquette (if there is such a thing) because I don't want to wait until the lot empties out before I can find my car :-)

I have reservations about fully opening my trunk, particularly when it is raining. On those occasions when I believe I will have my arms full (probably not with groceries because there is no cooking in my family), I'll make sure that my wife and/or 10 old son will be there to lend a helping hand. Otherwise, I'd use my karate kick.
    On the RL the beeps are not going to carry across a large lot but if you get within a hundred feet or so OK. Also the brake lights blink as well, which is helpful, especially at night.
    Ahh...so you were the guy who gave the old man a heart attack the other day in the Wal-mart parking lot.... :)
    "Ahh...so you were the guy who gave the old man a heart attack the other day in the Wal-mart parking lot.... :)" (To KennyG5)

and the old lady walking by dropped her shopping bags spilling her prune juice and smashing her bottle of bourbon... and the teenagers heads popped up in the back seat of the car nearby to see who was coming...etc etc etc :-)

Back to the car: I have a tendency to put my seat belt on as the car travels down the street and sometimes even neglect to put it on but with the RL it just doesn't happen anymore because this female voice comes on and reminds me to "Please fasten the seatbelt" The wife is delighted because she no longer has to nag me. Was wondering if the female voice is permanent or if it can be reset to a male version?
    You can go into the menu and choose either a male or female voice. I haven't tried the male voice yet.

Lynnminny
  • bobb1bobb1 Member Posts: 22
    HAs anyone figured out how to make a call to a destination that is active in the navigation system without cancelling and then going to addressbook????? Recently I was running very latte to a meeting and was on navigation, I had very carefully put the phone number into the addressbook but could not figure out how to get handsfree to dial it - and yes, I did not have it in my directory (Handsfree or Onstar).

Thanks all for great comments. I have now had my RL since November 23 and have 5100 miles on it including 3500 over the road - no problems except for a speeding ticket in North Carolina.
    "You can go into the menu and choose either a male or female voice. I haven't tried the male voice yet"

Thanks I thought that I read it somewhere in the manual. Yes, and now it is changed and I actually prefer the male voice....I dunno..to me the male sounds more like a co-pilot vs the female (a nagging sister type). ;-)
    I don't know too many sisters that nag. But wives....:)
  • nextlife1nextlife1 Member Posts: 12
    I have not been able to figure oout how to do this either. On a couple of occasions where I have needed to I have gone into setup, personal information and then addressbook, found the entry, and then read it out loud to the voicesystem as a "Call number" command. Going in that way does not give you the option of calling automatically.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    pat, I don't know where this request should be posted, but I think it's about time to reopen the Acura RL vs Audi A6 vs Jaguar S-type vs BMW 5-series vs Lexus GS thread, especially considering these cars are all new (or will be) this year, except the Jag.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Sure thing - click here and have at it! :)
  • steven9179steven9179 Member Posts: 36
    I have experienced the same condition---but only when it is raining or the car is otherwise wet. I described this condition to my brother (a real "car person") he has the same condition in his Porsche????? It may be a Brembo issue but at least it is not unique to the RL

Steve
    Yes Steven...well if your brother is having the same conditions with his Brembo brake components on the Porsche, then we are in good company!

By the way has anyone seen the latest RL A-Spec Concept car...check this out

http://www.hondanews.com/CatID3000?mid=2005011025408&mime=asc