Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• formulaformula Member Posts: 17
    I think that the manual clearly states that the only DVD format that is supported is DVD-Audio, so if you are trying to load up a DVD-+R(W) with either MP3 or regular audio files, it probably won't work. If you can figure out how to write a DVD in DVD-Audio format, you probably have a chance.
  • jmatthejmatthe Member Posts: 51
    Not that there is any shortage of media options, but how about a USB port that can accept data sticks and able to read MP3 files or port to accept an I pod?
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    "or port to accept an ipod?"

If BMW can do it...sure..why not? See this:

http://www.ipodyourbmw.com/
    Yeah, read about that, but apparently the BMW setup underdelivers on menu options (five "BMW labelled" playlists and tough to navigate) Acura would do it better if the current setup is any indication. For me the Data Stick would be a better solution if you could view files like an MP3 CD on the Acura system.

Just hate messing with CD's.
  • llwysellwyse Member Posts: 56
    I agree with most of the suggested improvements in the RL, especially ventilated seats. I would add two more I didn't see that should be givens on a $50K car -- rain sensing wipers and FUNCTIONAL coat hooks. Even my playtoy Mini Cooper S has both.

And to markcincinnati -- I agree that the RL target was likely the Audi A6. And the A6 is actually the car I wanted when I bought my 2003 A4 and also when I decided I wanted to replace the A4 (and bought the RL). Multiple reasons why I ended up buying the 2003 A4 instead of a 2003 A6. The single reason I ended up buying the 2005 RL instead of a 2005 A6 is the ugly front end. I might get used to it over time, but I wasn't getting used to it in the timeframe that I had the buying bug.
    A wise choice my friend. The RL will serve you well.

Jmatthe: I agree with you on the Data Stick... Incidently, I have a large cd collection and have tried about 1/2 of them in the RL. Was surprised a few days ago when one of those CD's actually was read by the disc player and the name of the record appeared on the screen along with each individual song tile. It was a new Chris Botti cd but there were no markings on it to indicate why it was any different than all the others. I'll have to research this one further.
  • rxkerxke Member Posts: 168
    Hi

Has anyone purchased a 2006 RL? I have read some postings that their all wheel drive makes noises in hard turns when under power. I like the car but am concerned. I am also looking at the Infiniti M35 awd.
    Hi

Has anyone purchased a 2006 RL? I have read some postings that their all wheel drive makes noises in hard turns when under power. I like the car but am concerned. I am also looking at the Infiniti M35 awd.
    Hi

• scottjohnsonscottjohnson Member Posts: 61
    Assuming you really mean 2005 RL. Mine doesn't make ANY odd noises and the SH-AWD is a blast to test.
  • steven9179steven9179 Member Posts: 36
    0K, you do mean the 05 RL because.... the 06 isn't out yet! (just kidding around) I have never experienced any noise with the SH-AWD; but the truth be told----go for the RL , you WILL love it and the SH-AWD will love you!!!! Just a pleasure to drive.

Steve
    I have had mine for 3 months, no issues with any noise and the AWD system is incredible in the ability to corner in any weather. So far the car has been flawless.
  • patrick3patrick3 Member Posts: 31
    Here's some interesting information. I took my RL to the dealership to have them install my wood steering wheel and they had the following additional things they wanted to do to the car:

- Product Update Front Dooor speakers & Driver's MPCS Unit update

- Product update PCM software

- Product Update Acuralink control unit (my real-time traffic was not working)

Has anyone else experienced the first two product updates?
  • kacuratkacurat Member Posts: 33
    Holy, wow, was this email a joke??? Are you guys trying to design a small luxury home or a car??? Get over the ventilated seats, try opening the window. And the messages on the navi system, try deleting them. I love the car and every feature in it. Picky much???
  • valuebuyervaluebuyer Member Posts: 24
    I think you may be right. Which kind of confuses me more - went to an Infiniti dealer (about 100 yards away from Acura) today. There's a big yellow path direction between these two brand dealers in Canada, so the stampede is orderly. The Infiniti guys told me (while I was putting the downpayment on a cash M35x order) that they expect to take ALL of the RL interest - every single car - so you may be right about Audi, but there sure is a lot of 40-50-year-old exec managers like me who did a 180 degree turn to Ghosn's guys as soon as that $72K laugher of an RL price came out. I don't think the A6 buyer is going to jump off the Teuton track (after all, Audi is pretty sad - recalls, crap engineering, and overrated and crowded interiors - if you're an Audi buyer you probably don't fit the 'valuebuyer' profile of a Lexus/Infiniti/ACura type). I think the natural 'market steal' for Acura would have been the Japanese reliability luxo-buyer - and they lost every one of 'em in Canada with that price grab stunt- old $CAD55K RLers, plus guys like me who think its a decent vehicle thatsomeone got a 'brain freeze' with when they priced it. Now they're screwed - they have to 'reintroduce' '07 or '08 'model' changes to back off the price grab in Canada - by then, lights out on the RL.
  • sjohnson11sjohnson11 Member Posts: 37
    Why would we give up on the ventilated seats? They have them in Canada. And you can get them on a $35K Toyota Avalon (the Avalon also has rain sensing wipers, and laser cruise control) these should be standard equipment on a $50K car! All this and more comes on the $50K Infiniti M.....get with the times Kacurat.
    Not yet, but my dealer volunteered the same updates. I did have the XM nav unit replaced early on and it is working, but they want to replace it again. I applaud Acura for jumping on any problem areas proactively. My experience with my first year E39 (97) BMW five series was much different. Only if you had the problem or complained about it did the car get the campaign. And there were many of them on the BMW.

Patrick3, so how is that picture of the Montage 19" wheels coming?
    I really believe that over the average, you get what you pay for. It is called price based costing. I just came from our local auto show, and spent time (sitting still) in the new Lexus GS and Infiniti M along with the German cars. While I cannot judge driving dynamics, the materials, workmanship and paint quality on the RL are of much higher quality than the others in my opinion. The MB E320 was the worst, the BMW better than most of the write ups, and the Audi mid pack. It is all about tradeoffs, and there is no bargain in this class, but the RL is the quality leader.
  • kfhmailkfhmail Member Posts: 199
    Hey Dude chill out...

Opening the windows does not do the same thing as ventilated seats. (neither does regular A/C)

Besides, the intent of my suggestions were things that I would like to see added to the RL as a 2006 (but I personally would like to see the ventilated seats now a as mid year change...but do not think it will happen).

Do you not think that Acura will tweak the car next year? Most manufacturers usually do make at least a few changes from year to year...so I was just stating some of the things I would like to be tweaked.

Such as:

1. ventilated seats (front and if possible rear)(this should be very easy to do and with minimum cost since they are already available on the cars that go to Canada)

2. rear heated seats

3. wheel locks as standard

Wanting these things does not mean that anything is wrong with the car. I am glad you like it.

Anything can be made better.
    " I just came from our local auto show, and spent time (sitting still) in the new Lexus GS and Infiniti M along with the German cars. While I cannot judge driving dynamics, the materials, workmanship and paint quality on the RL are of much higher quality than the others in my opinion."

Nice Post...Incidently, I have never spent so much time "Sitting Still" in any car before. My wife is beginning to miss me lately. :-)
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    . . .see our impressions of the new Infiniti M35x over on that board.

I have NOT driven the RL, yet, I have stuck my head inside the RL -- it is, IMHO, neither up to the Audi A6 or the M's fit and finish, but it is very close. In fact all three of these cars are very fine -- the Audi may be a winner. Any of these cars are great -- I could not say one is a clear winner. The Audi is the winner in a photo finish -- IMHO.

From what I have seen, you will not be disappointed by any of these three interiors.
  • satiresatire Member Posts: 71
    Motor Trend magazine lists all tests and offers a short summary. For the 2005 RL, they say:

"Technological tour de force in an otherwise unremarkable sedan. Where's the V-8?"

I'll ignore the first sentence as it's the V-8 thingy that just escapes me. Many V-8s out there make pretty much the same horsepower as the RL's V-6. What can a 300 hp V-8 do that a 300 hp V-6 can't? If these educated testers were not told that it's a V-6 would they even know??

Frankly I think it's a bunch of hooey. Acura has a darn nice engine in the RL (perhaps a little weak in the low end range but not annoyingly so). The mindset that a luxury car must have a V-8 to be considered a truly luxurious car seems like so much bull funky to me. Why are these testers so dismissive of anything less than a V-8?????? Help me understand.

Thanks.
  • cove148cove148 Member Posts: 117
    For $50K you have an under powered car. You have to be ok and secure enough with yourself to know that Grandpa in his $26K avalon can smoke you to 60.

Me, I am not that secure, would be mentally flogging myself.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    1) 300 HP is not under-powered

2) Ever see a $26K Avalon? I think $35K is closer.

3) Ever see an Avalon in a drag-race?

4) Do you think that Grandpa in his Avalon will even notice you?

5) Do you think that Lexus and Mercedes owners actually sit around and laugh at you behind your back?

I think the typical Acura owner doesn't have those mental insecurities.. That is why Acura cars never seem to fit neatly into any competitive demographic.. They aren't shooting for some other standard... They are building cars for their constituency.. the typical Honda/Acura buyer, where real-world performance and value mean more than "Car and Driver" articles.

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

What cracks me up about the V8 vs V6/I6 debate is that 80-90% of the buyers in this category opt for the 6 cylinder engine anyway. Look at BMW's sales numbers. And the MB E 500 owners I asked about their car think they baought a bigger car with the bigger engine. As for me, I'm all for more power, but balance is important relative to handling, weight, price, gas mileage and depreciation as well.

The higher the price, the further they fall.

Sports cars are a different thing.

BTW, I am starting a collection of speeding tickets with my "underpowered RL"...reality is there is no need for even this much power.
  • cove148cove148 Member Posts: 117
    1. For $50K car is under-powered.

2.Avalon XL

$26,350 MSRP(from todays toyota web-site)

3. No. But maybe this year!

4. No. But he can whisper to Grandma, "hey I can smoke that dude in the RL next to me and he knows it, lets head to Denny's for a bite."

5. I think there is a whole bunch laughing.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    If 300 HP is underpowered for $50K, pity all those poor Boxster S owners...

I suggest you try to find an Avalon for under $30K, then buy it..

And, I agree... you definitely are too insecure to buy an Acura...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

As you two clever fellows go back and forth I was reminded of a post from "Footie" recently in (Luxury Performance Sedans) that might be enjoyed here:

" I believe that the market share shift that is going on between European marques and Japanese marques is permanent.

To say that the Japanese marques "as whole still don't look, drive, feel or perform as good as European cars as a whole" is very, very personal, IMHO.

I certainly feel that the Japanese modern, innovative styling, is far superior to the copycat, Ford Taurus, glizmobile styling in the MB lines, the ugly duck butt styling at BMW and the "we never change" except to make the grill weird styling at Audi.

'Feeling' is too personal to broadly assign mastery to the Europeans - saying that what one group of drivers likes is the best, is baloney. That's why Cadillac sells more cars than MB in the U.S.

'Performance' is equally irrelevant at the microscopic level that tends to get bandied about here. Sure V6's are faster and more 'responsive' in most cases than 4 bangers but not always: the same is true for V8s and sixes of all configurations.

'Performance' is what you can use in the situations you usually encounter. If 0-60 in 4.2 seconds makes a big difference in your life, then being a junior writer at Car and Driver's road test center is great. But if you are 99% of the car driving public, it's totally irrelevant.

Some performance could matter though - maybe 30 to 60. But is that reported? Nah, it's more fun to talk about ticket-getting, nobody cares 0 - 60 times.

How dumb is this. Pretty dumb. It's called 'argument framing'.

One can always read George Lakoff's "Don't think of an Elephant."

Food for thought!
    "BTW, I am starting a collection of speeding tickets with my "underpowered RL"...reality is there is no need for even this much power."

This car definately is quick enough. Just told my wife today as I backed off on the accelerator while doing 60 in a 35 zone..."We don't need any speeding tickets do we." (It's been 4 years now!..."Knock on genuine wood trim")
  • dennis721dennis721 Member Posts: 62
    I heard what you and others are saying about the 2006 Infifnity M35 AWD so I decided to take a look once again. I guess the exterior looks nice, definitely not better then the Acura but nice. Then I took a look at then interior and I just dont like it. I have never have ben able to warm up to Infinity styling concepts. The exteriors are occasionally OK though usually not, but the interiors usually turn me off and the new M35 is on target for me there again. In fact I was somewhat amazed thet while the lines are quite similiar to the 2005 RL the execution of the same basic center dash area looks terrible at least to me. So I have to say I think your salesman was wrong about stealing all the Acura RL customers. Every single car, NO WAY DREAM ON!!!
  • soapkngsoapkng Member Posts: 21
    My car is telling me, with 15% oil-life remainging, that i am due for a service soon. Of course, I assume this relates to the oil change and nothing else and, assuming this is correct, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the oil changes on these new RL's?

Does anyone think it's 'safe' to go to a quick-change place? Is there a good reason to pay top-dollar and 'waste' a day giving it to the dealer? Is it easy to do at home in a half-hour like in the old days? Also, is it worth putting in synthetic?

I have about 5,400 miles on it, so it looks like I might get close to 6k, which seems reasonable nowadays for regular oil.

Any info appreciated! Thanks!
    You have your opinion -- as do we all.

The Acura and the M are not likely to win any styling prizes -- in my opinion. Frankly, looking at pictures of the new GS from Lexus, I find it the most attractive (IT REMINDS ME of the new 4 door coupe from Mercedes). The RL looks like -- to me -- one part Accord, one part BMW 5 and one part Acura TL (the front part). I saw my second or third RL today -- as it came upon me (head on), I thought it was a Honda. This is not exactly meant to be a criticism. I look at the new Audi A6 and pictures of the upcoming new Passat -- and ditto, the family resemblance is like Patty Duke and her "identical cousin" in that corny TV show from years back.

The Infiniti, well it sorta reminds me of a Nissan and even sorta like an Avalon and also sorta like an Accord -- the gene puddle is pretty shallow, thus far, in the designs that seem to make it the US.

I give Cadillac some credit for looking different. Each new BMW is uglier than the one before -- the new upcoming 3 series looks like someone finally put some restraints on Der Bangle.

The new Infinit and Acura are not fully bland, but for all their wonderfulness (and I mean it, he said eating crow -- see my review over on the M35 board) they are not "oh wow" attractive -- they're not butt ugly like some of us think about the 5 and 7 series Bimmers, but they are doing all they can to "be safe" looking.

Can't say the same about the Audi, BMW and Cadillac (or the Chrysler 300.)
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    "Many V-8s out there make pretty much the same horsepower as the RL's V-6. What can a 300 hp V-8 do that a 300 hp V-6 can't?"

Torque and smoothness. The Acura 300hp V6 is a VERY nice engine. But it cannnot match the smoothness and acceleration of a GS430, M45, E500, or 545i.

"If these educated testers were not told that it's a V-6 would they even know??"

Yep, right away.
    Agreed, plus it is a right of passage. The fact that there is neither a Rear Wheel Drive version nor a V8, will just stick in some journalists craw at $50K.

Conversely, the 5 series can be cranked up beyond $56K with a 3.0L 6 and the journalists all seem to love it.

Now, having said that, regardless of our love or disdain for Motor Trend, they did rank both the Acura and the M above the Audi A6 and the BMW -- even going so far as to call the BMW the lowest value.

A v8 may be an underdog in sales, but it just seems to be needed on the option sheet.

Kinda reminds one of Rodney Dangerfield -- "can't get no respect."
    I agree, but what I am saying is BEAUTY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER. Infinity is not going to steal all the Acura RL customers because of price or styling either one or both combined. I for the most part dont like the whole Nisssan family of cars while I do like the Honda family. The styling of the whole Nissan family is ugly as far as I am concerned. I used to like WV & Audi and I owned a number of them. I got tired of all the little probelms I had with my VW's and Audi's and the resale value problem caused by unintended acceleration ended my love for them. I have had next to nothing go wrong with any of my many Honda or Acura cars. I love the look their designers seem tuned in to. And I will say again NISSAN-INFINITY WILL NOT GET ALL THE ACURA RL CUSTOMERS AWAY FOR PRICE OR STYLING DREAM ON!!! BEAUTY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER.

Fortunately we all dont like the same thing otherwise it would be a rather boring world.
    Hi

Can anyone tell me the kind of real world gas mileage you are getting with the 2005 RL(highway and around town)?

Thanks
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    26-27 highway

13-16 city driving
    Dennis, You are so right about "Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder". Nissan has not been able to "Do it" for us either. We looked at Infiniti, but when you can't even bring yourself to the point where you "Make time" to test drive one, it's all over. This would apply to anyone looking at the RL as well. "We can't win em all!" I am absolutely blown away with this car though and now that we have owned it for a while and driven it in all conditions...there are no second thoughts. None! 5 years ago I retired early and told my sweetie when I bought the new TL, it would be the last car I would ever buy. Then the RL came along and when I was pitching her on it she reminded me about my comments on buying the TL and I said..."But honey, I didn't think at the time that I was going to live this long" (Actually these cars make me feel young and I hope to buy a few more before it's all over.) Now if I can pull myself away from this computer for a while I think I'll ease into the comfort of my Celestial Silver RL and drive over to the club and play some serious racquetball. Have a good day gentlemen.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    "I think I'll ease into the comfort of my Celestial Silver RL and drive over to the club and play some serious racquetball."

Hey, stop rubbing it in! Some of us still got to work for a living! :)
  • shotgunshotgun Member Posts: 184
    Yeh...I get about the same

24-28 Highway

14-17 City
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    Acura will not take all the business away from the MB, BMW, and Audi crowd despite price or reliability advantages. The "cachet" factor will still be overriding for these European brands.

I also have reservations about the Nissan/Infiniti styling, as well as the longevity of their engines. They seemed to have a lot of pep in the beginning, but got a lot "rougher" as the miles piled on in comparison with Toyotas and Honda/Acura.

Different strokes for different folks.

I'm sure that "jjacura" has earned the right to play "serious" racquetball at his leisure.
    JJAcura

I too am retired and I bought a Acura 2004 TL which I dearly love but now I have the hots for a new 05 RL. I believe the 05 RL is awsome in all respects. Yes some new gadgets like rain sensing wipers would be nice but I love the car just the way it is. I really like the styling and the way Acura's fit and finish is executed. Oh and the Honda engines are so smooth and tend to stay that way. I know some people say it needs a V8 but I have driven th 05 RL 3 times now and I feel that the 300 HP V6 is near perfect for the car, especially when you consider the cost benefit of more HP and accompaning reduced gas mileage. Yes I can afford the car and could pay if it got worse mileage, but the 300 Hp feels quite adequate to me.

Good luck to you and enjoy retirement your 05 RL Acura.

I hope to get my RL sometime this summer when the underbody spoiler kits become available. My TL has the full kit and my wife says she is not willing to trade till I can get the new RL delivered with one. So I have to wait till around July to close a deal.
    "I'm sure that "jjacura" has earned the right to play "serious" racquetball at his leisure."

Thanks Prophet...because I don't really enjoy the discipline needed to just go to the gym and work out I get a high degree of cardiovascular workout doing the thing I love the most...Playing competitive racquetball and it has been a 29 year trek.

Now back to the Cars...DENNIS...tell us more about these "ground effects" my man.
  • shawn3shawn3 Member Posts: 8
    Soap- I got the same "service due soon" at 15% remaining, and since I could not extinguish the little "i" light, I had it done at the selling dealer 3 days later, at 6900 miles. Using the codes it gives in the display all they did was change the oil and rotate the tires. Took an hour and cost $34. I am staying with dino for now (no synthetic).

For mileage I'm getting about 19 in town and 27 on high speed trips. Car has almost 10,000 now and it is FLAWLESS :)

Cheers!
    JJ

I have the front, side and rear lower body spoilers that are part of the A Spec body kit for my TL plus the wing on the trunk. They are sold seperately and can be installed by the Acura dealer. They come already painted the correct body color. Well the same kit for the 05 RL is shown on the Honda news website.

http://hondanews.com/CatID3080?view=p&page=1&firstcat=fal- - - se&kw=Catid3080

Just follow the link. The kit I was told by my Acura dealers service department, is not currently available, but is supposed to be ready in July of this year. The link will take you to 8 thumnails showing what the kit looks like on a silver RL.

Dennis

I have noticed that mileage on the RL is increasing as the car approaches the first oil change, now averaging about 5 -6 MPG better than when it was new. Honda uses a break in oil with this engine, so I expect it will level off once that is changed out.

Combined mileage is 20+, commuter traffic and driven with spirit otherwise.
    I really like your information...been wondering about our MPG. We have 2300 miles on it and are getting 16 around the city. The out of town driving really has not been extensive enough to matter.
  • patrick3patrick3 Member Posts: 31
    jmatthe,

Car still at the dealership. They can't seem to get the real time traffic to work. I'll get that picture once I get the car and take it. Sorry it's taken so long.
  • larry6larry6 Member Posts: 26
    I'd go to the dealer with mine -- until the dealer gave me reason to look elsewhere for service.... and then, I'd probably choose another dealer. The dealer will likely be the only source of upgrades to the programing, know what to check when...(most likely) and would (at least soon) run into similar problems (if any) that an owner is facing. I'd stay away from synthetics... unless recommended by Acura. The price differential is not that great -- given the initial size of the investment.

Happy trails.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    Honda announced they are raising prices $100-200 on many/most Hondas and Acuras to reflect the decline of the dollar against the yen and rising costs of raw materials. Get it now before real inflation hits this declining economy.