Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• 18pctgray18pctgray Member Posts: 6
    Here's some additional real world experience:

Over the first few hundred miles it became clear that the OE tires passed along road noise that was unacceptable to me. Every time the road surface changed (about once every mile) the noise from the tires changed from virtually silent on new asphalt to loud on textured concrete.

I replaced the tires with the Michelin Sport A/S and have noticed a noise reduction on all surfaces. We can speculate as to why Acura selected the MXM4 tires, but it's most likely a pricing issue. That's the same tire they have used for years on Acuras and it is a loud tire in most applications. For sporty cars like the TL and CL it's less of an issue.

However for a luxury car like the RL it's not an appropriate tire. The best choice may have been Michelin's Pilot PS 2, but it's not available in the odd size of the RL's wheels.

If I had known it was an issue before I bought the car I would have either negotiated an upgrade in tires with the Acura dealer or I would have contacted a Michelin dealer to make a deal. Once you have driven on the tires it's usually too late. In my case I negotiated a concession from the dealer and sold my OE tires. Net cost for the new tires was under $100 for the set.

With the new tires the car is fantastic.

Your mileage may vary. :)
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    You guys have me pumped. Good feedback from some knowlegable RL owners in here and thats what will make this forum a good information site for all of us.
    JJAcura [Mostlygray :)]
  • dennis721dennis721 Member Posts: 62
    I know I looked at the Michelin site and wondered how they could rate the OEM tire so highly and yet the Tire Rack customer feedback is so negative Pilot MXM4 and so high on the Pilot Sport A/S. All I can say is that the user reviews on the Tire Rack are right on compared to my experience. The oem tire is louder on cement pavement, doesent resist hydroplaning very well. Steering responsiveness is not as good either, but I believe the OEM tire feels better on the RL due to the ShAwd then it would on a car without it.

Having said all that, I would definitely buy the Pilot Sport A/S again, only I would not wait till I had the 500 miles on the car. I drove the OEM's that much because I was considering keeping them and buying another set of winter tires and extra wheels. I could not see at the time how the Pilot Sport A/S could improve on the non-winter issues that are rated on the Tire Rack; but I am happy that I went with the A/S as there was a marked improvement in all aspects reviewed. I havent experienced snow yet with the A/S but I expect to be pleasently suprised because the way the tread looks :surprise: it cant help but be a winner on snow compared to the Pilot MXM4.
    Good luck to you.
    Dennis
  • ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    one of the reason most honda products stick with a specific oem like the mxm4's is because of lower rolling resistance. these tires are tuned for lower rolling resistate. which is one of the reasons why honda products seem to have a slight mileage advantage vis a vis almost similar products from say toyota/lexus. the other drawback of these tires is honda products will typically stop 5 or 10 or 15 feet slower in braking comaprisons with other similar cars from other brands like toyota/lexus etc.
    ksso...LPS forum seems to have a few people scratching their heads as it grinded to a halt faster than an RL with it's emergency brakes on in a set of A/S Pilots! ;)
    I had occasion to visit a tire store yesterday to have them remove some metal from my left rear MXM4. Fortunately it was a clean puncture from the bottom tread and not the sidewall and could be repaired from the inside. The RL system alerted me with the reduced tire pressure warnings, first 23 lbs then 20, etc, etc.. I selected a Firestone store not because of their brands obviously but because the zone manager who has his office at this particular location was a long time friend of mine. I trust his judgement not only because he has 39 years in with Firestone but he always shoots straight and when we talked about tires I asked him about the lower rolling resistance and he said that was a very accurate statement. These tires were selected for that reason. So I would have to concur with your assessment.
  • hendjazhendjaz Member Posts: 155
    Just to report back and thanks for the detailed reports and feedback. I too have just made the switch to the Sport A/S (stayed with 17") and immediate reaction is the same as yours Dennis. I should have done this earlier.

The actual installer (rather than sales person) at the local tire store, after mounting the Sport A/S (so it wasn't a sales pitch), confirmed that they thought the MXM4 was not a good wet traction tire and that I had made a good choice in replacement. The Sport A/S in my very short term experience so far does seem a bit quieter/smoother and definetly is more responsive in the corners. I wouldn't necessarily put down the MXM4 but do not think that it allows the RL to achieve its capabilities while the Sport A/S appears to be a better match for the substantial capabilities of the RL.
    good info Hendjaz...and if you get snow where you live, you will be in better shape with the new Pilot A/S's
  • cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    Hey JJ....sorry for the late response. Been traveling a lot so only get to Edmunds about once a week at best. It's also college football season so I'm usually gone on Saturdays. I know, it's a disease. Was in Eugene, OR last Sat and this Sat I'll be in Madison to catch those Badgers! We're taking the RL up with another couple. Time for some boiled brats and dark beer.

Take care.
    I had P Zero Nero's on my A4 3.0 and was very pleased with them. I almost preferred them to the stock Dunlop SP Sport 9090 (summer) tires. Very smooth, quiet, compliant, good winter traction, and surprisingly sticky on dry, also. I would highly recommend them. But I've never driven the Sport A/S.
    Hendjaz---I have not owned a set of Pilot Sport A/S tires, but have driven the Pilot MXM4s extensively on 3 different cars (Accord coupe, Acura TSX, and Acura RL). The MXM4s are designed primarily for ride compliance and fuel economy, IMO. Road noise is also surprisingly loud. They are not very grippy on dry surfaces, and although wet traction is okay, snow traction has been disappointing to me. It's not a bad tire, but I think you can do better, especially if you are willing to spend more $$. I have a friend who has Pilot A/S on his Passat, and when I drove the car I was impressed with dry traction, smoothness, and quietness. I have not driven them in the snow.
    I have only read great things about the zero nero and probably would have gone that direction had I wanted to step up to the 18" wheel, as the zero nero M/S doesn't fit the Acura 17" OEM wheel. The Sport A/S does fit right out of the box so it was an easier move and the tire also gets great reviews (deservedly so in my brief experience).

JJ, enough periodic snow in Seattle to make one want to have decent A/S tires on an AWD car. For heavier snow storms or nearby mountain driving though will probably bring out the MDX for the heavy duty. We also escape to Scottsdale enough for short visits during the winter to minimize the snow risk a bit. Wish I had the RL there as that is some fast driving around the Valley of the Sun.
    cstiles...College Football is definately occupying more of my Saturdays as well. Those Wisconsin Badgers may give Barry Alvarez a great final coaching year. We'll see!
    Enjoy your trip to Madison in the RL...tell you what, it's a great campus....if you have time (Navigation System :shades: ) take the Bascom Hill Drive road west from Park Street (Just north of where State St. ends) (Its the closest road to Lake Mendota) drive it focused and use your flippers...you will definately enjoy the ride, the scenery(be alert for bikers and coeds on foot), and the lake views.... guaranteed! You will end up not to far from good parking north of University Drive and Camp Randle Stadium. Don't injest too many beer soaked brats but if you do I hope they are Johnsonville's. :P Indiana will have their hands full Saturday! Go Badgers! (Wish I could post our war chant but it would never get past Pat! Have Fun ;)
    Here's hoping you get lots of opportunity to put the Pilot A/S to the test this winter. Yes wouldn't the RL be great to have in Arizona...we were there in April ...it was 90 degrees...we drove up to Santa Fe and ran into snow on the way in a Grand Prix rental car. (When we were younger we would have driven out and back, but it only takes 3.5 hours to fly to Phoenix from Milwaukee. too much hassle driving anymore.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,570
    I never thought I'd ever say this.. but...

Go Hoosiers!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx...you couldn't resist huh... :D

our Bucky Badger welcomes the Hoosiers to Camp Randall in Madison.

"XXXX 'EM BUCKY"

Drive safe now you hear.....
    Go Hoosiers!!

As a native Hoosier, long displaced to the great Northwest, I will have to second that. Driving in the snow in Indiana and around Chicagoland growing up was relatively easy since it is so flat. No awd, no chains or even snow tires. Just plan your slide when coming to a stop and seemed to be no problem. In Seattle, everything is hilly so with anything more than 1" snow, one definetely wants awd, good a/s tires and still plan your slide if you are going down a steep hill. Much fun.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,570
    .. I actually cannot stand the Indiana Hoosiers... I'm a big UK basketball fan... and everyone knows that it is our innate right to win the NCAA championship each and every year.. In fact, it is a crime that we've only won seven championships, thus far....

But, my wife is an IU graduate (which is a constant sore spot), and her cousin is the new head football coach there... So, I feel compelled to at least root for the football team..

So, back on topic... Does all of your tailgating gear fit into the RL?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

"I'm a big UK basketball fan"

I could second this too but I think you have a typo and meant KU. :-) As I am a KU grad and avid Jayhawk fan (and yes Hoosier bball too) we seem to have a lot in common. Whether it is IU, UK or KU, we just sort of kill time during football season waiting for basketball season to roll around. At least the Badgers get to enjoy both seasons, usually.

Back on topic, for those who have not yet had the TSB services done and their RL is eligible it is highly recommended. Had these done about a week ago and then along with changing out the tires this week to the Pilot Sport A/S I feel like I have almost a new car. The transmission works even better, acuralink and XM interface is improved and the RL has a new feel on the road with the "stickiness" and smoothness of the Sport A/S tires. All in all a nice way to refresh a nearly year old car that I have been very, very pleased with and now even more so.

BTW, KU over UK by 12 on January 7th at Lawrence.
    Thanks for the tips. We'll definitely try to check them out. I'm an Oregon Duck but this weekend it's "Go Badgers." At least we Ducks own the absolutely ugliest uniforms in football. But the kids love em, I am told.
  • bhamacurabhamacura Member Posts: 8
    Interested in purchasing a new 2005 RL this November or December. Thought this would be a good time to buy since the 2006 series will be rolling in. Any idea what a reasonable selling price would be for this car at that point in time. Reviewed the forum and last updates on pricing indicate around $42-$44K. Do you all think this is still the case?? Your input is greatly appreciated. Want to go into the dealership armed with decent knowledge....Thanks
    Pricing seems to be somewhat dependent on geographic location as demand may be higher in northern states and less so in southern states. Suggest going to carsdirect.com and seeing what comes up under your zip code. Have seen reports from SoCal of around $40K but don't know if that is for a lease or purchase. Other cities are higher such as Seattle still showing $47K or so. There is a $2500 dealer incentive that is currently available but about to expire so maybe prices will go up a bit after expiration. Conventional wisdom/speculation seems to be incentives may return if there are still a lot of 05s available when the 06s start to come in.
  • bhamacurabhamacura Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the input. I live in the SouthEast. So perhaps, I can get a better deal here (AWD is not as important here....)
    When we tailgate, what we can't fit into the RL we leave behind. Had to leave my wife home one time but she got over it. ;) *

Actually I have huge respect for UK. Coach Al McGuire's Marquette Warrior's record against them was 2 and 3. (But that was during Adolph Rupp's and Joe Hall's tenure.) I can't think of any coach who lasted longer than Rupp, he coached 42 years with a winning pct over .800

*just kidding
  • mmcportermmcporter Member Posts: 10
    I gotta tell you, I bought an RL and have loved it. It's a great car for the $$, comfortable; capable; fast; secure and luxurious.
    ...and loaded with accessories. It really is a great car but like all things there may be accessories that you just don't use and in my case I will not renew the OnStar feature. Everything else is great including the XM and Navi. (Anybody else discontinuing the OnStar?)
    "I live in the SouthEast....AWD is not as important here...."

Southern drivers should remember that the Acura folks gave the RL system the name sh-awd, not just awd, and this is signficant and not just some advertising deal. In everyday driving and cornering this system plays a role in improving the cornering capabilities and taking away the front torque steering that comes with most front wheel drive cars, including Acuras. Thus even though there is a front wheel bias, the rear wheels help move the car around corners in dry weather, every day conditions for noticeable cornering/handling improvement. So it is not a system like in other awd sedans where the importance of awd comes out most significantly in wet or winter driving. Southern drivers should be interested in the RL just as much as northern drivers as this is just as much a summer car as it is a winter car, the sh-awd comes into play every day, rain or shine.
    Did the RL performed well for you on your recent trip to Madison? You no doubt had fun watching the Badgers devour the Hoosiers... but I think they have played better games...still, they were moved up to 14th in the Polls. (Incidently, I see the Ducks ran over Stanford....I saw them play the Badgers at Camp Randall about 3 years ago and enjoyed that game very much...thought those uniforms were really different but refreshing. Madison is not the easiest city to navigate around in particularly on game day...hope you escaped without any scratches or dents.
    hendjaz...are you affiliated with Acura? :)
    "are you affiliated with Acura?"

No, but I do like them, the RL in particular because it is so well thought out. I loved my 03 BMW 530 that I traded in for the RL, but when winter came around it was usually left in the garage a lot due to absence of winter traction abilities. They have addressed that now with an awd version so like the RL it is more of an all season, all climate car. But the BMW is still much behind the RL in electronics and reliability, imho.

So yes I am an Acura and RL fan but definetely dabble in other cars including our recently purchased Lexus RX 400h, which has great accleration performance along with better than respectable gas mileage. My perfect car might be an RL-H, hybrid version that Acura just has to do.

As mentioned, us Hoosiers/Jayhawks/Huskies just try to get by through the football season until basketball gets going in a month or so.
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    Anybody else discontinuing the OnStar?

Yes, I'm discontinuing Onstar, even though two guys here in DC were just rescued because of their Onstar. The rescue personnel couldn't find them from their cell phone, but tracked them through Onstar. I figure that's a fairly unlikely occurrence.
    We had a great time. We made a last minute decision to take my friend's Durango and left the RL at home. My wife was paranoid about parking the RL near the drunken masses around Camp Randall, so she was relieved with the switch. This was my 2nd time to a Badger game (was also at the Oregon game you mentioned) and was again impressed by the crazy antics of the fans. We stayed for the 5th quarter and polka'd to The Bud Song many times. Wisconsin is a good team...athletic and well-coached. Ducks are just okay this year.

Our RL is pushing 7K miles and it's soon time for the first service. We've had no major problems at all, and although I usually don't get to drive it since it's the wife's car, have been very pleased with the couple thousand miles I've put on the car. Looking forward to the 1st service and various TSB updates on the software, which we'll do in the next couple weeks.
  • acuraphileacuraphile Member Posts: 131
    I'm going to keep OnStar. In the scheme of things, it's only $200 for the basic service and a handful of dollars for some phone units.Should my cell phone suffer a problem, it's nice knowing that there is Someone to Watch Over Me! -;)

LMBRL
    "Should my cell phone suffer a problem, it's nice knowing that there is Someone to Watch Over Me!"

George, .(I think you would be all right with or without the On Star) Your comment also brings to mind the classic '56 Paul Newman movie "Somebody Up There Likes Me" In your case I'm sure that's true!
    LMBRL :D
    I went in for the A16 service yesterday...Oil change, Transmission Fluid Change, and Tire Rotation. At 11,600 miles it was important to get this maintenance done and I waited for the car. I am actually going back next week and will leave the car there for the afternoon to get 3 updates taken care of...the PCM software update, Acura Link control update, and I believe the 3rd involves the Navigation system.... Others have posted info on some of these updates and I was just making sure this covers it. Are there any other updates I should be made aware of?
    Here's my post from another of the RL Edmunds discussions. This information was as of about 3 weeks ago when I had the updates done and is taken from the service invoice. I am not aware that there have been any newer TSBs since then but doesn't hurt to ask the service department.

"The three current TSBs are Service Bulletin 05-027, the PCM Software Update, Bulletin 05-028, the Onstar Control Unit update, and Bulletin 05-022, the Acuralink control update."
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hendjaz has answered your question, but for everyone's info, you can also check TSBs on this page: Maintenance Schedules, Recalls, and Technical Service Bulletins and you can ask any questions about them (like for the full text) in this discussion: Technical Service Bulletins.

Sorry if you already knew about these resources, but a lot of times folks aren't aware of them.

:)
    Thanks Hendjaz and also Pat......Thats what I like best about these forums...when you are looking for pertinent information you can usually get it here.

Just a quick story from my dealer yesterday regarding the RL (They are not getting the 2006 's in until later this month and have only 3 new 2005's left.) also I was talking to a young service attendant about the car and he asked me if I had driven the car through snow yet. We talked tires and all wheel drive and he told me about a guy that came in for service on his TL last winter and took out the RL for a drive in the snow while he was waiting. Upon returning he was so excited about the way the RL handled the snow and loved the way it looked he ended up trading for one on the spot and drove home in a new RL.
  • layer3switchlayer3switch Member Posts: 14
    Folks,

I'm ready to replace my 2002 BMW 530i which Iove, but really want AWD for the snowy/rainy winters we get here in New Jersey. I've driven both cars, and really up in the air on which one to get....

The local Acura dealer quoted me 43,200 for an 05 and I'm still waiting on the BMW price, but looking for that car with sat radio and navigation. The Acura has my attention simply because the price is probably going to be 10K less than the BMW. I'd really like to hear from others what made you select which car and why. With my family growing, this is the last luxury car purchase I'll be making for a number of years, and want to get it right.

Thanks!
    L3
  • acuraladyacuralady Member Posts: 27
    Hi L3, You mention that your family is growing. Make sure you sit in the rear middle seat in the RL and the BMW. The RL has very little head room and a hump in the back seat. I am not sure about the BMW. I have picked the RL for the interior styling and all of the free options. I also pick the RL for the reliability. Four people fit comfortably in the RL but not five unless it is a baby. We have four in our family. Our family car will remain the Acura MDX SUV for the roominess.

I am deciding whether to wait for the 2006 RL with less issues but more money or buy the 2005 RL. I got a slamming quote from the SoCal dealer. $40,800. Talk to your dealer about the $2500 the manufacturer is giving them.
    Hello to all, please reply. I have been on the forum: "Acura RL: Problems and Solutions" and see a lot of problems with the 2005 RL. I want to know if I should wait until 2006 to buy the RL and hope that their will be less problems. The issue is that I think I am going to pay about $5,000 more for the 2006, this is my guess. I have a great quote of $40,800 for the 2005. They still have a lot of them on every lot I go to. The manufacturer is giving the dealer $2500 incentive to move the 2005 RLs. :confuse:
    Remember that the nature of that forum "Problems and Solutions" for all vehicles is to post problem issues so if you read any of those forums it will sound like there are a lot of problems. My 05 RL is officially one year old now (paid full msrp then and with no regrets) and has been painless to own and drive. I believe most are like this although some will find exceptions. Acura stands behind its vehicles so reliability is one of the reasons to buy, irrespective of whether it is an 05 or 06. No one can be sure that an 06 will be significantly different so there is a gamble in waiting. Bird in the hand is always a good rule, particularly at the 05 prices.
    At $40,800 the 2005 RL is an absolute terrific buy and I would think that you would have to pay more than $5,000 more for a 2006 in the near future. They haven't indicated a price yet and the only other criteria for you to consider would be the optional technology package of (Adaptive Cruise Control), (Collision Mitigation braking system), and Michelin PAX run-flat tires. Granted these are options but how important are they to you? Were you able to find the 2005 RL in your favorite color combination?

Like Hendjaz I too paid full MSRP with no regrets and the 2005 RL has been flawless. :)
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    At $40,800 the 2005 RL is an absolute terrific buy and I would think that you would have to pay more than $5,000 more for a 2006 in the near future.

You could be right, but I doubt it. There are NOT enough changes in the '06 to justify $5000 more. Acura began heavily discounting the RL in April to boost lagging sales. Sales rose in August and September due to agressive discount pricing. It will be interesting to see November and December sales figures.

IF the rumors of greatly reduced production volumes are correct THEN upper $40s may very well be the case. Many RLs are being sold today to folks who will pay $41 but NOT pay $47+ :blush:
    Fewer RLs could very well mean higher prices for those who truly want that car.
    "Many RLs are being sold today to folks who will pay $41 but NOT pay $47+"

As a reminder, there seems to be considerable geographic disparity in pricing so I would not take the above statement as the gospel for all locations as some still have pricing in the mid to upper 40s. The low 40s may be available in SoCal and TX, and perhaps other locations, but readers should of course check their local dealers for "real" pricing in their region rather than relying on what they see in forums such as this and then have unrealistic expectations. Its actually a nice time of year to go to SoCal or TX, pick one up there and have a nice road trip home in a great RL with a few extra $$ saved in your pocket/purse.
  • layer3switchlayer3switch Member Posts: 14
    Hi folks,

Let me first say I'm a die-hard BMW fan. Always have been. My wife drives an X3 and I have an 02 530i. I'm ready to replace my 530, as I really want an AWD car and SAT/NAV.

My last AWD vehicle was an 01 Audi A6 2.7 which was arguably the worst ownership experience of my life. Not only was the car a mechanical train wreck, but the local dealership was awful. I drive a lot for work, and although my RWD 530 hasn’t really let me down in rain and snow, I still like the idea of AWD... After making the emotional decision to plop down between 45-55K for a new car, I set about creating my short list. The BMW was a natural, as I've always loved them. I found the Lexus AWD and Infiniti unappealing and have never liked Mercedes. Then, along comes this RL... It's pretty amazing, loaded, drives great and it's 10K cheaper than a comparable 503xi with SAT/NAV! But, I'm not sure it's quite a BMW in terms of performance and handling. Yes it drives great, but there is something missing. I'm just not what’s missing is worth 10 grand...

Is the RL a 5 Series killer?
    I traded my 03 530i in for the 05 RL and have never looked back. No regrets. The 530 is really connected to the road and that is hard to duplicate but the RL comes reasonably close. The 530 has a bit better low end torque I believe also. Otherwise I prefer the RL on all other counts including the quality and appearance of the interior and electronic sophistication. I felt a year ago when I paid msrp that the RL was a great value and at current discounts it has become even a better one. I could never fault one for going with the 530 as it is also a great car but for my money, I would do the RL again today against the 530xi.
    "Its actually a nice time of year to go to SoCal or TX, pick one up there and have a nice road trip home in a great RL with a few extra $$ saved in your pocket/purse."

:) I will visit my daughter in a suburb north of Houston next month and out of curiosity will check on the inventory at Gilman, a brand new state of the art dealership nearby, actually one of 5 Acura dealerships in the Houston metro area. (No wonder they have so many extra RLs.) Here in the entire state of Wisconsin we have a dealer in Madison and another here in a Milwaukee suburb and that's it. (I believe another dealer is coming to the Green Bay Fox river valley area next year.) I am very familiar with both dealers as they are owned by the same person. Both do extremely well and know how to take care of their repeat customers. It's a good sign when you see familiar faces at a dealership year after year after year.
    Thank you to all for replying. I am glad you all agree. :shades: No confusion. I am going to buy my new 2005 RL tomorrow for $40,800. You know, I bought my 2003 MDX in January 2003 and I paid MSRP. Most dealerships were over MSRP and they were hard to find. This was the third year model, so I guess I better jump on this. I got a deal over the internet at the second closest dealer to my house. I am also using the same internet sales departments to get this deal. Most of the dealerships will match prices. I was also able to get the color I wanted. Black on black. Say a prayer for me, because it is really dusty where I live, close to the desert. It just looked so good in black on the showroom floor. By the way I live in SoCal. If you all are in town, send me an email and I will lead you to the right dealership for the deal. You better hurry, because today the dealership said they had 13 RLs last week and now only have 7. Since they lowered the price this month, they are moving faster. He expects to run out them before the 2006 is delivered.

Should I buy the 7 year/$120,000 mile warrantee? I got a price of $1815. It seems like so much money for something I migh not use. I was also told that if I don't use it at all I can get some money back. Is this true?