Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• tommyg29tommyg29 Member Posts: 4
    I get about 20 in town, and I got 27.5 on a 600 mile round trip over the Thanksgiving holiday, doing 75-80 mph.
  • sullyaksullyak Member Posts: 30
    Pearl,

I am considering the Acura RL and the GS300. You touched on two of the biggest factors for me, head room and road noise. I am 6'2", will I be comfortable in both cars? Is the GS quieter than the RL? Do you know of any quieter AWD sedans?
    Thanks
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    I am not an expert on the dimensions or road noise of either vehicle; however, have driven both (and my comments are echoed by others) and this is what I think: both are great cars that most people would be happy to own. The GS is definitely (subjective) quieter inside - less road, wind and engine noise; however, it also seems to have less overall interior room, especially head room. Some relatively tall people have said that it has enough head room for them, so perhaps the issue is more the length of one's torso rather than legs or overall height. I am 5'11 and my head is within a quarter inch of the roof in a GS with the seat all the way down. On the RL, some have said that the tires are the main culprit in terms of generating road noise - maybe, but my experience has been that Hondas of any type tend to be noisier than Toyotas of any type. The Infiniti M gets kudos all around except for road noise and gas mileage - both of which might be improved by a six speed transmission to lower rpms while cruising on the highway. It seems that nearly all the LPS sedans are quite good, but all seem to have one or two small negatives that people have commented on - and - which could probably be fixed relatively easily for 07. Happy New Year!
  • satiresatire Member Posts: 71
    Just got my 2006 RL last Thursday and have no opportunity to drive it except home from the dealer. Darn those winter storms in Northern California.

My first impression with regards to headroom is that I have more of it now than in my 2002 RL. Of course the seat is all the way down and I tend to tilt the back a little too far for normal folk.

As for road noise, I didn't notice much. What really got me was the windshield wiper noise at low speed. Sort of like a farm machine going full tilt right in front of me.

I'll comment further when I actually have more driving experience with it. Given the forcast, that should be sometime in early June.
  • garnetgarnet Member Posts: 7
    I've never owned a-car-purchased-new for as long as 10 years and/or decade. As I have my Acura RL new in 1996 for factory-incentive induced price of $38K, w/o trade. A trouble-free 87K miles as we speak. I'm forcing myself to purchase 2006-new; but so far, to no avail. The smaller wheelbase, smaller trunk, smaller discount are hard to hurdle--arthritis or no arthritis; makes no never mind. Zero-60 of new, only split seconds difference. Likewise ride, quiet,and higher, wider, virtually 360-degree outlook on the world of 2000Six from the driver's seat.

Current re-sale market value of sum 10K; puts the $43K discounted 06 to shame. A real new car buff am I, but fastly losing my only claim to a vice. I've worked hard to become a citizen senior, AND I DON'T WANT TO GIVE UP NOW! Why couldn't the powers that be at RL have made my life more worth living, I wonder as I wander.

In a quandary if there ever was one (I really need help!),

GarNet
    SeniorSquare.com

PS: Also own an '87 RX-7 turbo with the same 0-60 of 06. Sometimes I just can't win, you know?
  • ff100ff100 Member Posts: 12
    Here's my 2 cents from a 6'4" person: I drove the GS300, RL and M35x. The GS300 is very small and I could not fit in it. My head was against the roof all the time and I felt very squeezed. The M35x and RL have more room [above the head especially] but the RL has more knee room. I don't think that the GS is that much quieter. They all have the "sport" feeling. Also, under the hood the GS300 is behind the times in terms of AWD and inside technology. Look carefully at the AWD systems, they're not the same. I've just tried the RL on slush and ice taking a sharp curve and it performed perfectly. The Acura SH-AWD is superior to the GS300 AWD which is an antique system. The M35x has a very good system as well but the Acura distribution is better in my opinion. The GS300 is a fine car for shorter people, those that do not care about technology and gadgets and don't drive too much in snow and rain.

Regards.
  • solcliesolclie Member Posts: 1
    I'm with you all the way. I have 97 RL, i was hoping in the end of 04 for the new Acura to arrive to change vehicles . but i was dismayed with the size ( it was much smaller then the RL i have, Trunk space, rear seat Etc) i then gave my hopes all the way to the end 05 for the 06 model maybe they came out with a longer version, but it did not happen. i dont know what to do now.....shall i wait for the 07 ?....
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    The Infiniti M is an excellent alternative. ;)
  • naviboynaviboy Member Posts: 6
    I'm a big music fan and have been irritated that when playing a CD and then making/receiving a call the CD is only muted, not paused/stopped. The other day I had a pretty long call and ended up missing half of the CD I wanted to listen to... do all systems do this?
    Wow! :surprise: Heaven forbid you have to press the rewind button a few times! :confuse: Or, worse, actually SPEAK, "CD. Track [number]." :surprise: :sick:
  • naviboynaviboy Member Posts: 6
    Well, getting past your apparent internal angst, such a feature would be pretty handy and not difficult for Acura to put in place I think.

When you get a phonecall or such at home while watching a movie do you let it keep playing or pause it so you can continue later? I think most people pause the movie...
    Just in from a day driving in slush, snow and ice here on the east coast. The RL was absolutely wonderful and performed like I hoped it would have. Besides the fact that I was a bit more careful than usual, it seemed as if the car was as stable as on a wet road. It's less than a month old for me so I am still a bit taken back by the wonderful acceleration and incredible handling... and mialage! Nineteen MPG in local, low-speed driving, 26mpg on the highway! It's about a 50% better than my last car!

I would be interested in a quieter set of tires in the spring, all-season of course... Any suggestions?

Thanks!
  • garnetgarnet Member Posts: 7
    Solclie,

I remember reading that a V-8 RL will intro aprox. early 2009, and not a moment sooner. Of course, as a surreptitious septuagenarian; I don't remember too good any more; "but trust me." Possibly, hybrid availability, in the cards. All that is wrong with the 06 RL, and life in general, may be tendered in 5 years. But at a price! Yesterday, did walk-around of RL's on dealer lot; seems like the car shrinks with each look-see, faster than me and my "forgotten war" buddies are, unlimited! Smaller windows than previous edition coupled with route 66 speed limit postings in less than large, senior- citizen-size numbers; is an accident with my name on it. And who took down all the Burma Shave signs, I can't help but wonder as I wander. (With a new RL, I'LL NEVER KNOW!) Let alone, that lower-in-the-seat view from the 06, which makes my driving by the seat of my pants even more challenging! (A threat, even!) When the trooper issues me still another ticket of many, how's he gonna see me sitting way down there? To make matters worse, the bug-eye headlights swatted out of hand by my lovely wife of 54 years. Seems the RL thinks small in every aspect. Even the Acura logo is indistinguishable from badge of smaller-still Honda Civic. Maybe a "small" $40K end-of-year clearance price on the Acura RL in January 06; would rectify all the short comings in one swell swoop--? Don't know about the rest of the world but I'm waiting...I'm waiting.

GarNet
    SeniorSquare.com
  • fighterwsofighterwso Member Posts: 15
    GarNet,

You might be over using a cliché or two. I’m not sure because your posting is practically incomprehensible! :confuse: This isn’t a personal... I enjoy reading all postings.
  • kgd_007kgd_007 Member Posts: 8
    I have seen a number of posts here related to owners of pre 2005 RL not seeing enough improvement to change. This is all subjective, so I will start by saying that no one is wrong, everyone will make there own decision. My decision was based on the following.

I like performance cars and realize that this is still a $50k sedan and not a $100k Mercedes AMG or M5. Compared to my 2000 RL there is absolutely no comparison between the two. There is no way a front wheel drive car will handle like a 4 wheel drive car no matter what the HP or road conditions. The first thing I noticed was when accelerating you definitely knew you where not driving a front wheel drive car. This is especially noticable if you are pulling from a side street into traffic and even more so if it is raining. In the rain places where my 2000 would wonder a bit "hydroplaning" there is none of that in the 2005. This alone makes it a much safer car even if you don't live in a snow belt. Also, this was one of only 5 cars to receive 5 stars from both of the agencies that do the frontal crash ratings. Cornering with the car is night and day difference. With respect to the interior noise, I thought the 2000 was quieter than the 2005. I upgraded to the 18" Michelin Pilot sports and now think it is about the same as the 2000 with respect to road noise. The 18" wheels made a noticable difference cornering. The 0-60 time I believe is over 1 second lower and it noticable, but you are not going to feel like you are driving a Porsche. The headlights that turn with the steering are also a great upgrade. The braking is also much improved over the pre-2005 models. As great as all of this is, that is not why I traded up.

The interior and electronics of the 2005+ are IMO the best available. The real wood on the dash and doors was a huge upgrade (if you like wood). I was never really impressed with the audio system of the 2000. It sounded OK but I definitely wanted more. The 2005+ sounds great at pretty much any volume. The indash changer is great, the DVD audio is really good, the ability to play MP3's is huge and the now available iPod adaptor seals the deal. The blue tooth HFL works flawlessly and I would never own a car without it now. The navigation is also vastly improved. I now only use voice commands and they work incredibly well. This is huge safety consideration if you use the navigation while driving. The Nav traffic will be great in another year or so. I do still use it alot though and it is accurate about 75 to 80 percent of the time (I live in the SF Bay Area). I find the seats much more comfortable than the 2000. The ability to upgrade to the wood steering wheel also adds to the over appearance of the interior. I also really like the keyless remote, doesn't seem like much of an upgrade until you get used to it. The sun screens in the rear also make a huge difference when it is hot out.

There are a couple things I miss from the 2000. The larger trunk was nicer. It doesn't feel like the interior is any smaller. If you often travel with 5 people in the car the center seat in the pre-2005 was better, but the other two in the back are more comfortable. The rear cupholder is also alot better (although I liked the front cup holder better in the 2000).

All that said the 2000 was a great car, I had about 85,000 miles on it with very few problems. I also had a Legend prior to that with about 100,000 miles on it when I got rid of it, also with very few problems. Both drove pretty much like new when I parted ways with them.

Hope this helps anyone with a pre-2005 RL that is considering a change. I have owned my RL for about 4-5 months and have a little over 5,000 miles on the car. The scheduled maintenance coming up will be the first trip back to the dealer since I bought it. I considered the Mercedes E Class, BMW 5 series, Audi A6, Lexus GS and the Infinty M35 & 45 when before purchasing the RL and have not once regretted my decision.

Also the pricing did effect my decision. I got a 2005 with 18" chrome wheels, rear spoiler lip, splash guards, wheel locks, back up sensors, wood steering wheel and shift knob, trunk mat and net, and next week the iPod interface all for several thousand less then the MSRP of the base model. In addition, this was able to get a lease with a 2% money factor. I plan to buy the car at the end of the lease, so I ended up with a good tax write-off on the lease and with really cheap financing. My only regret was I did pay too much for an extended warranty, but do like the dealer so I am not too excited about that.

I enjoy this car more everyday that I drive it!

Kris
  • kgd_007kgd_007 Member Posts: 8
    I just hit the power button to stop the CD before making a call. You can also hit the disk button and it will pause the disk. I don't know if this will work when you receive a call though.

Kris
  • madramblermadrambler Member Posts: 2
    Hi Kris,
    I live in the SF Bay Area as well, and am thinking of purchasing a 2006 RL. Would you mind sharing the name of the dealer you purchsed it from and perhaps the price paid? :)

thanks.
    -madrambler
    I anxiously awaited the RL iPod accessory and was one of the first to sign up for the $600 upgrade. I asked, the morning I dropped off the car, if the contents of the iPod show up on the Nav screen, I was told, at first, it does. Before I left that morning I was informed it does not. I agreed to go forward anyway thinking the voice nav from Acura was good so it would probably be good on this too.

Here's what you get. There's a wire in the glove box which connects to your 4th or 5th Gen iPod and the sound is absolutely wonderful, as good as CD's. The problem is there's no way to navigate. There's software you load onto your computer which tags your play lists and albums with voice tags (sounds horrible when it occasionally works) which is supposed to help you navigate the contents.

It doesn't work, it is impossible to navigate and it's a big disappointment that other cars show the ipod contents and Acura does not. There's not much available as alternatives, there's no other way to get ipod audio into the car without an FM modulator-adaptor, which sounds terrible.

I am debating asking for my money back because then I would have no ipod connectivity instead of good sound and no way to select what I am listening. There are some basic navigation controls using the Disc buttons, such as the ability to move to the next song, select shuffle songs or albums and you are supposed to be able to browse playlists, but that does not seem to work.

Chrysler just announced full ipod integration. Harmon-Kardon has a $200 setup that mounts a display on your dash and a joystick on your console with full integration.

If there were a female cable adaptor that would let you go direct in with audio, you could move the ipod to the cup holder and see what you are playing but no luck, the connector disables the screen on the ipod.

Anyway, if someone has any suggestions I would welcome them. If you are considering the ipod upgrade, make sure you know what you are getting for your money.
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    2005 RL selected as Tech Car of the Year by CNET
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10846_7-6213124-1.html
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    You're missing the other unique components of the AcuraLink system. One is that not only is traffic data sent by XM, text messages from Acura are also sent by XM. Second, is the two-way transmission of diagnostic messages between the vehicle and Acura. This last feature requires pairing of a Bluetooth phone AND the phone must be capable of data communication and set up within the vehicle (the Phone-Data Connection menu) -- that is, the phone behaves as a modem for the vehicle. I'm guessing not one in 1000 owners have done this, however.
  • soapkngsoapkng Member Posts: 21
    I just noticed, while applying moderately heavy braking at around 85mph, quite a bit of vibration in the steering. I repeated this a few times to be sure. Nothing really below 60mph, which is why I probably never noticed. I assume my rotors have warped. I wouldn't mind replacing them (and putting on new aftermarket pads such as EBC's Green Stuff pads), but I can't find any aftermarket rotors. Only from the dealer, and even they have to special-order them (best price $117 each).

Does anyone know if these can be turned down? Or, better yet, does anyone know who is making aftermarket rotors?

Thanks for the info!

David
  • deddydeddy Member Posts: 2
    i need two R wheels for my 98. 13 spoke. What other wheels will fit if I can't find any?
  • yoon5yoon5 Member Posts: 1
    does anyone have info on night vision, lane assist, and rear camera becoming available as it is in the Japanese version (Legend)?
  • deddydeddy Member Posts: 2
    After driving in snow/ slush, do not kick off the ice build up in the wheel wells. I broke a brake line doing such. :cry:
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Because of the slow sales of the RL, Acura has announced that in the fall they will introduce the RL Lite, a car with many fewer standard features at $7-10,000 less. The car is obviously overpriced as is which accounts for its dismal sales.
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    Hmm... Didn't Coca-Cola pull that kind of shtick at one time?! I think the new car should be called 'Diet RL'.

Seriously, dealers are complaining that the car is not selling well because of the price point. They want something that will sell in the mid-$40K range. But something doesn't make sense.

I bought my RL new a few months ago for $42K and in today's market, an RL can be purchased for $43-$45K in most larger cities. Acura would be making a mistake 'downsizing' the car. They would be better off adding (yes,..adding) more features for a few dollars less. They also need to advertise more in print and television media. Dealers are not getting the support from corporate that Infiniti and Lexus are giving their dealers (i.e. media exposure).

But, if sales are slow due to a lack of a V8,...
    Well, it's not the price or the car, it's that Acura does NO promotion. Notice how Infiniti did a huge campaign on the M series. They gave it an artistic focus with the swish logo. They are neck and neck with Lexus who also does considerable marketing around their G cars. I don't think the price is the problem it's the marketing. Also, the dealers are ratty looking compared to Lexus and other high end showrooms.

I think the lite version will devalue the RL and make it even harder to sell the higher priced version.
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    what is it with the RL? I live in a area where every other car is either a BMW, MBZ, Jag, Lexus, or Infiniti, but it's extremely rare that I see an RL. I see plenty of TL's though. I'm the only one in the area who drives a Honda Accord...yikes, there goes the neighborhood. Seriously though, I just don't understand the dismal sales of the RL.
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    Yeah, I have to agree. The RL is a very sharp car. Great interior, top notch electronics... I also don't get it...why such poor sales? I think it must have to do with poor advertising, as I hardly ever see ads for it, just for the TL.

Same problem, IMO, plagues the Audi. Both are great cars, just poor publicity...
    Why the lackluster sales? It's overpriced. Drop the price $10,000 and sales will pick up. I don't think all those electronic gremlins did it any good either.
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    Nope, that's the wrong answer. Of course, any LPS being sold for $10K less would sell better than one not discounted! That's a no-brainer. No, I don't understand why the RL and A6 don't sell better. There are no "electrical gremlins" in my A6 nor have there been lots of reports of them. Certainly no more than those heard about in the BMW or Mercedes cars... but that's OK with me as I like having a car that isn't the same as the 3 others beside it...
  • 4bearhug4bearhug Member Posts: 52
    Anyone have any first hand experience w/ Zimbrick Acura in Madison,WI? I'm looking at a possible deal there, but wanted to determine their credibility with some existing customers. I'm not looking for service work as this would be a buy only, but any experience you've had would be helpful in determining their integrity.
  • gwestboundgwestbound Member Posts: 22
    Autoweek today reported Acura RL sales have tanked. Acura is thinking of stripping some of the features out of the car and lowering the price. In my view Acura got greedy and overpriced it, and it's biting them in the [non-permissible content removed].

This stunning bit of automotive stupidity ranks with Acura dropping the Legend name, and squandering the nearly insurmountable lead it had in the premium Japanese car market. It's will kill RL resale value.

Acura has to decide which market the RL is in. If it wants to compete with the Lexus LS, it has to build a first class large V8-powered car. If it thinks it's a BMW 5-series, Audi A-6 or a Mercedes E-Class it has to build a better car than those. It can't build a tarted-up Honda Accord, put a fancy interior into it, and ask for twice the money. As it has learned, there aren't enough rich, stupid people out there who will pay that kind of money for a smallish car with a high-winding, low torque six-cylinder motor that's hard on premium gas. The RL is barely superior to the TL, for $25,000 more.

The Autoweek article may be accessed here.
    http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060221/FREE/60221002/1024/L- - - - - ATESTNEWS
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Check out the Acura RL: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion as well.
  • acuraladyacuralady Member Posts: 27
    I think the RL is suffering in sales because of a couple of reasons.
    1. Exterior appeal - it's an average looking car, it is not a head turner. The TL is outselling the RL not because of price, but because of the slick exterior and it is also roomier in the back middle seat.
    2. Acura just does not have the brand recogition of BMW and Mercedes. Lexus and Infiniti also have brand recognition. I am not sure why Acura can't at least get the recogition of Lexus and Infiniti.
    My father bought a used Jag for $25,000 and I bought the RL. No one is impressed when I say I bought an RL, but when my father says he bought a Jag, everyone wants to go outside and look. I would never buy a jag myself - bad repair reputation.
  • lpsshopperlpsshopper Member Posts: 8
    Look at post # 6976 which partly addresses your question. I can tell you this from my own shopping experience. I totally admire Honda/Acura for their reliability and build quality. They make beautiful, practical cars. I would be quite happy driving an Accord, Civic or TL for close to their MSRPs. Standing alone, the RL is a nice looking car. Standing next to a 5-Series, A6, Lexus GS or MB E-Series (all of which may have their own problems), the RL just does not look like it belongs in that class. It looks ordinary. If you can find one parked by valets in a marquee, front space at a swanky restaurant or club, take a picture and send it to Acura. They'll probably be so excited, they'll give you one for free. No one wants to spend $50K on a car and have friends think you are driving a $30K car. At extremely discounted prices (which are out there) buy it and be happy. Just don't do it at $50k. Not quite as drastic an overreach as VW committed with the Phaeton, but a stretch.
  • daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    I live in Pittsburgh and would love to get a premium vehicle with all wheel drive. I currently drive an LS430 and won't spend the money (or deal with the repairs) for a Mercedes S430. Anyway, a $50,000 RL would be just the ticket if it didn't look like a Honda Accord! C'mon guys...that car just doesn't look like a 50 grand car. I also agree that "Legend" was a true brand name. What the heck is "RL"? My friend bot a 1991 Legend for $27,000. What a car! What a deal? Granted, inflation has crept along, but double the price in 15 years? Not when you can buy a moderately equipped Accord or Camry for $17000.
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    I also agree that "Legend" was a true brand name. What the heck is "RL"?

Big mistake on Acura's part to drop the Legend name.
    Not only that, but the second generation Legend (came out in 1991 or 1992) was one of the all time best looking cars ever. The replacement 3rd gen was bland-dull-boring. And the current car isn't too bad except it looks like an Accord for twice+ the money.

They outta resurrect the 2nd generation Legend similar to how Ford resurrected the 1969 Mustang.
    I believe the reason Acura dropped the Legend name is that when people were asked what kind of car they had, they said, "Legend." Acura didn't like that because the Acura name was being lost. So they substituted letters. No one says now, I have an RL (except on this board where people know what you're talking about.) Many manufacturers have done the same thing, used numbers or letters for the model so the owner will have to say, "I have an Acura RL" or a Lexus GS300. Etc., etc. Check out Audi, BMW, Infiniti, etc--all letters or numbers. Exceptions: VW, Toyota, etc.
    Makes sense in theory, but cost them in sales and clout in reality. If it ain't broke...
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    4Bearhug, Zimbrick in Madison also owns Acura of Brookfield in the Milwaukee Metro area. I have purchased new Acura's from both dealerships and would be glad to give you some information on the Madison Dealership from my personal experience and if you are still interested I don't mind if Pat gives you my e-mail address. AND BY THE WAY...HI PAT....I'M GLAD YOU ARE KEEPING THE PEACE IN THIS FORUM! Meanwhile I just want to say that this forum reads like it could use an injection from a good friend of the RL. My buddie Acuraphile. (George) If you are out there still reading this forum on an occasion please drop us a few WORDS OF WISDOM ABOUT THIS GREAT CAR. You have to have about 15 months on that 2005 Lakeshore Beauty. How's she running?(LMBRL ;) )
    JJ
  • acuraphileacuraphile Member Posts: 131
    This Forum began mid-2004. The dozen-or-so regulars who posted frequently were either Acura owners or prospective buyers, all excited at the emergence of a Legend model change, after having patiently waited nine long years. Those postings, then, had mainly to do with speculation about HP, MPG, PRICE, TORQUE, ELECTRONICS, WHEEL SIZE etc. When the RL finally appeared at the dealerships, the original posters were joined by others who were eager to join the Forum in hopes of gleaning information more specific than had already been published. That said,postings appeared by new purchasers of the 2005RL and by those who were thinking of purchasing now that the car was being discussed widely and there was a more generous flow of specifics. There was great enthusiasm, and there was some disappointment re the absence of a V-8. Generally,the car received a fine reception.

Among those posting regularly, Mark Cincinnati, a most knowledgeable engineer, made a fine contribution to the Forum as he contemplated the purchase of an RL versus an Audi. His postings were technical, informative and unbiased. Other postings of a similar nature followed - all intended to shed light on the new RL and to evaluate it alongside the competition. Then, a new factor was introduced and it's still evident in recent postings.

This is an open Forum, and providing that the language and rhetoric remain civilized, everyone is welcome.However,what is "unwelcome," IMHO,is the tedious criticism of the RL's purported resemblance to the Accord, coupled with disparaging, snide comments about pricing and the aesthetic and performance edge supposedly held by BMW, Audi and Lexus. As Host Pat suggested, there is another Forum in which more general and critical comparisons can be made. This Forum seems to be attractive to many who have no interest in the RL other than to disparage it. These postings are nothing but destructive and cause one to wonder as to motive.

JJAcura and I have been posting since the get-go and have noted the contention fostered by disgruntled outsiders who have no interest in the RL other than to deprecate it. What is an "outsider?" An "outsider" is a poster who has never test-driven an RL, has never read the specs, and has never had any intention of purchasing an RL. Knowing the welcoming nature of this Forum,the "outsider" - perhaps compelled by some personal unhappiness - tries to taint the happiness of others. He's welcome - but his comments are unwelcome.

I've put 10K miles on the RL's odo and have not had one defect appear. I loved the car from the outset and hope that other RL owners share my (and JJAcura's) feelings.
    My RL shines like a gem and behaves like a thoroughbred.

- George
    George, So glad you showed up. I had a feeling you were not far away! I have to say first off the 2005 RL is a remarkable automobile that has given me great satisfaction during the 15+ months I've driven it. There have been no recalls, no flaws, and the few upgrades were smooth and incidental. For a car that has been completely redesigned this is remarkable. For me the performance has been as I say, flawless. The pleasure I derive from using the superior electronics and power with the Sh-AWD elevates my driving experience to a new level. I have never felt safer or more comfortible behind the wheel before. When you need power it is abundantly there, handling, it's there. Braking even surprises me for a 3,900 lb. car...it's great. I feel no need to go after the owners of other Luxury Performance Sedans because I've been reading from the best of them in that forum and by and large these owners bottom line respect one another. Acuraphile also described the type of poster that we all see come and go from this forum quite well I thought. You sometimes have to wonder what's it all about for them. Any way it's been a good ride (15,000 miles) for me obviously and I hope to keep this amazing car for a while. ;)
    Welcome aboard Buzz. I see this is your first post in the forums. I will contact you by e-mail. JJ
    PS "Cheeseheads" reminds me of only one thing. (Great football fans!)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Nice to see you JJ and George - long time no hear from!

And welcome to our new member!!

I just need to make an administrative note here - it's a really bad idea to post your email address on a public webpage and we actively discourage that (see note about it atop the post box). You expose yourself to all kinds of unwanted abuse that way. If you want other members to have your address, just make it public in your profile. That way it is protected from the automated webcrawlers which collect addresses for malicious purposes.

And the other thing, equally important, is that we are an online community and thus wish to sponsor online exchanges that will benefit all of our community, now and in the future. So we routinely remove posts containing email addresses, which indeed I had to do.

And with that comment, class is dismissed. ;)

Welcome new members and those temporarily MIA alike!! Nice to have you all here again.
    Why am I unwelcomed here? Because I said that the RL looks like an Accord and that I thought the price was too high? Does this say "RL ENTHUSIASTS FORUM"? No, it says RL forum. I resent being "unwelcomed" here just because I had some negative things to say about your sacred cow. The RL is a great car....but it's not perfect and it's not priced perfectly, IMHO. Why can't I say that?
    Actually, daryll44, you can say those things. The problem is where you're saying it. Those comments would be more objectively received if they were stated in the Luxury Performance Sedans board.

You have to look at the RL board on a different slant. It's sort of like if someone went into your home and started pointing out all the flaws in it. You may or may not know they're there, but you certainly don't want someone else pointing them out. Comments such as yours (and many others all over the 'net) are met here with eloquent prose that is nothing more than a backhanded way of telling you to get lost. Funny thing is, I can't help visualizing the guitar vs. banjo scene from the movie "Deliverance" every time I read one! :P
    I believe that Acuraphile said YOU ARE welcome here.

Opinions are also welcome. That's what a forum is all about.

But he was referring I think to the inane person that takes the cheap shot without ever having spent the time to drive the car or read the specs. The person that looks for a flaw and has nothing contructive to base the opinion on other than to bash the product. Having said that many opinions are SUBJECTIVE anyway. But bottom line, there is no way any forum can keep the trolls out permanently... It's just part of the woodwork. And those of us that are big fans of the car will usually try to keep a certain amount of class going forward.
  • hendjazhendjaz Member Posts: 155
    For those reading monthly sales reports on the RL and its competitors and thinking that RL sales are really awful, just a reminder that these statistics are misleading because most of the manufacturers report their sales by model grouping whereas the RL model only has one version.

For example, the BMW 5 series includes about 6 different versions only two of which, the 530 and 530xi, are truly competitors of the RL. Same with the Infinit M and Audi 6 as there are about 3 versions of each combined into the sales report for each.

While the RL sales are certainly nothing to brag about, the sales reports are not as bad as some seem to be taking them. I could only find a breakdown of the February BMW sales by model version and the RL is pretty competitive. For February, 06, BMW sold 902 of the 530s and 710 of the 530xi, whereas the RL was 712 units.

I still enjoy the relative uniqueness of driving the RL, of which I am 100% satisfied with, although I see at least another RL on the road every day now but not like the TL and MDX which are everywhere. I very rarely see an Infinit M on the road and to my eyes in my driving environment the M seems more rare than the RL. Same with the 06 Lexus GS which is not very common either.

I am sure that Acura would rather sell more RLs but I frankly don't care either way. I chose to buy my RL almost 1.5 years ago now and would make the same choice today.