Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• I have my 2006 RL going on 2 yrs. I am ready to upgrade the stock tires. I want all weather tires (Boston weather) that are less noisy than the originals. I don't care a lot about tread use, I want a good performing tire that's quiet. Any suggestions?
  • I just joined after reading a lot of the older threads. Others have recognized the tire noise and suggested the Michelin Sport A/S which they reported created less road noise, was all-season, and had better ratings than the OEM tires. see tirerack.com

My question: does anyone have high mileage on 2005 or newer RL, and any mechanical/electrical problems, esp. once out of warranty?
    I am seriously considering an 05 or 06 MB E320 but felt disappointed after reading threads about expensive repairs at 70+k miles.
  • I currently have an 05 legacy GT with low profile rims and sporty bridgestone tires. NOT worth it. I would change rims and tires for a taller tire profile to get a smoother/quieter ride (still researching). I am on this thread bec. I want a more luxurious ride with reliability so I'm looking at the RL (vs MB e3204matic or c3204matic vs bmw 530xi). I am putting about 20k miles per year in an area with bad winter weather. I regret the legacy is a bit cheapo so looking for a change.
  • mycar8mycar8 Posts: 2
    can anyone confirm that taller and wider tires would let you to get a smoother/quieter ride?

Thanks.
  • taller sidewall (keep total diameter of tire the same) allows for more flex in tire wall which helps absorb impact.
    Sports cars have low profile tires (small/narrow sidewall) to improve handling. Wider tire may worsen ride. I've found that tire QUALITY is what affects road noise. The tire dealers seem to know the best answer on that. I have found Michelin and Goodyear have been quiet on vehicles I've owned, whereas Pirellis, Bridgestone and Dunlops on those vehicles were loud. Hope that gives you enough info. I've found tirerack.com useful for additional research, then I went to my local/regional tire dealer, got their advice, selected a brand of tires based on a selection from their advice, and bought from them (which only cost a little more but worth the advice they gave me). Happy ever since.
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    Speaking of Tires... and we've had a number of discussions regarding the OE Michelins on the 2005 RL. I had planned on replacing them at about 50,000 miles with the Michelin All-Season Pilot ultra performance sports. I finally talked to a very smart Acura service manager familiar with tires and he suggested that I reconsider because the tires I want are DIRECTIONAL, which is the first time in 3 years anyone has mentioned it. I suppose these tires will wear faster because you can only rotate them from front to rear (Keeping them on the right or left side only) This sounds like good information but I was wondering if there are any drivers out there with directional tire experience. Perhaps I've beaten this subject into the ground. One more little piece of information. This morning an old friend who also owns a 2005 just heard on good authority the 2009 Acura RL may be coming out with a redesign. That's good food for thought. Any confirmation on that would be appreciated. :)
    JJAcura
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,934
    I have a 2002 RL and the OEM tire size is 225/55/16. The car did not change much from 2000 to 2002. I would suggest this size for you although I think the 225/60/16 would also work just fine.

I just bought a new set of Yohohama Avid VAS 4's and they are much smoother and quieter than the continentals that were on the car. Not real expensive either at around $100 bucks a tire. I am very impressed with them.

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460 2002 Tacoma 4x4

• There used to be a separate RL message board for Bluetooth compatibility posts. I just wanted to advise everyone that I recently purchased a Sprint Treo 755p and it actually works with the RL Hands Free Link much better than the Treo 650, which is listed as a compatible device. The 755p is still listed as being tested for compatibility, but it works great and there is no screech when you first dial a call, as there is most often with the Treo 650. Also, the battery meter shows with the 755p, unlike the 650. Still enjoying my 2005 with 30,000 miles! Steve
  • 10sfan10sfan Posts: 136
    On my 2000 RL, currently with 75,600 miles, I stayed with the 215/60VR16 with my third set last October which are the Michelin Pilot Exalto/AS. Very happy with the performance in a upper midwest area.

Have had them inspected and rotated twice at the tire dealer as well as inspected for proper wear at the Acura dealer at oil changes. Better than expected wear and tear. I paid $400.00 plus tax last year.

They replaced 4 Continental extreme contact that lasted only 23,000 miles and were cupping and totally out of round.
    Obviously the worst tire performance I ever experienced in numerous vehicles over the past 45 + years of car ownership.
    I have heard good things about the Michelin Pilots as well. It is amazing the difference a good set of tires can make. I was almost ready to trade my 2002 RL but the new tires will give it a couple more years of life!

My Continentals were also terrible. I did not know just how terrible until I got rid of them!

• Re road noise entering cabin I have a 2000 Lexus Es300 and found the noise in the RL worse, however one should consider that the RL is all wheeldrive so this would account for some of the road and drivetrain noise.I do agree that a car that sells for a lot more than the ES should have better sound insulation .Apart from the noise issue I far prefer the RL to the new ES but am not sure I can tolerate the extra noise on a long trip.Decisions-decisions :confuse:
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Posts: 202
    strapper,

I drive approx. 25,000 per year and as my bones get older am not sure I can take the extra noise and firmer ride. I do like the Acura RL's exterior and interior. I am having a hard time taking a decision.
  • how can you compare these two cars; one is a Camry with a marshmellow ride and no road fee - really a 58 Buick Super in disguise; RL is a firm handling AWD road car and feedback from this is good - ask all the happy BMW drivers out there!
    Since you are checking out a few cars I would suggest that you also drive the Avalon.
    A friend of mine has one and it is very impressive, especially at the price. It might be a good compromise.

• Hey Strapper I only paid $39800 for my 06 acura last year my friend got a 07 ES 350 and he paid 42,500 and did you get a good look at the side back windows on the ES!!! :lemon:
  • golfrskigolfrski Posts: 262
    The V8 will not happen. Look for a beef'd up V6 in the new design.
  • umomsumoms Posts: 3
    My 2005 Acura RL AFS light is always on. Delaer replaced the AFS Unit and Steering Wheel Sensor under warranty but it didnt help. They said the next thing they can do is replace the headlamp unit which would cost $1500 and its not covered under warranty because it looks like its been in an accident.

I asked them why did they even replace the AFS unit and steering wheel sensor if it appeared that it was in accident. They replied we didn't realize it until after installing the parts and doing further investigation.

Does this seem legit? If they started it and left the parts in shouldn't they finish the job?

It seems pretty dumb to me that they didn't realize it was in accident until after installing the parts.

Anyone have any other ideas what it could be before replacing the headlamp unit?
  • Wow i must have hit a nerve here ;re 58 Buick Super -before my time - guess you just dated yourself.As there are a lot more Camrys sold than BMWs and a lot more Lexus Es sold than RLs one can assume that there are a lot more drivers who prefer a quiet car that does not have a harsh ride. :)
  • If you compare the MSLP of both cars new the Lexus ES lists at about $33000 whereas the RL lists for about $46000.However if you were able to buy your car new for $38500 I am not surprised as the dealers have to seriously discount them as the RL is grossly overpriced which is why you see so few on the road :)
  • If 2009 is when Acura completely redoes the RL I might want to wait but if it is 2011 or so I might want a 2008 with the dealer incentives making it a much better buy than previously. Anyone know their makeover plans?

Lee
  • My dealer confirmed to me that they were definitely doing a make over on the RL for '09. He said it would be slightly larger than the new TL (one of my biggest complaints). He did NOT indicate what the revised engine would be or whether that was changing.
  • askusaskus Posts: 1
    What's taking Alpine so long to process orders for new navigation DVDs? I ordered the 2007 one in early October and now have been told they're still on backorder and I should probably cancel my order and re-order in late Jan/early Feb as they think the part number will change. Acura is no help as they just send me to Alpine.

If it's 4-5 months old by the time I get the updated navi DVD, shouldn't they reduce the price accordingly? But no, they said there are no plans to do that. What a ripoff. Is it always so hard to get these each year? I just got a pre-owned 05 RL back in September and I really want to get the nav system updated. My local dealer says they can't get one either. Any ideas?
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    I suspect navigation systems being one of the hottest selling products on the market today is a priority demand for most of the production concentration by Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. but what does it take to reproduce a DVD in todays electronic world. :confuse: I don't use my Navi much in my 2005 RL because for the most part I know the lay of the land where we live. It came in handy on our trips I must say but when I tried to use it a couple of times to find newer addresses it was of no use. I would be hard pressed to invest in a new DVD for those few occasions. Merry Christmas!
    JJ
  • samlhsamlh Posts: 1
    Is there any advance information on what's to be included in the 2009 RL?
  • rv65rv65 Posts: 1,074
    I found out it's update issues. There were many people updating their older cars and caused some problems. Alpine is probably working on a new DVD update that doesn't change the map but will fix all the update problems. Blame alpine for software glitches. They said it could come out by early next year. The dealers could get it but then they order it through alpine. I'm sorry that is is probably true but then again people make mistakes when programming software.
    Not much info. There is a thread about it already. It will be a facelift. Some body panels will be changed. A new engine, revised navigation system, Hard Drive, a few other features but not much. Maybe increased interior room. New rear seating designs could allow for more legroom in the back seat.
  • After much research and test driving, I recently leased a 2008 TL with navigation, passing over the RL. I almost bought an RL, but sat in it and couldn't get excited to own it. The RL has better exterior looks, to me, but its interior isn't that much better or bigger; it's hard to justify the $12k MSRP difference (except for the SH-AWD). I expect that difference to shrink a lot as 2008s get cleared out, but when I heard about the super lease deals on the TL, I jumped to the TL.
    When the lease is up, I'll look again at the new - and old - RL vs. TL. Meanwhile, the TL handles and rides very well, is quiet and powerful, and looks good in and out. It is a little sporty for my taste, but I think I'll get used to that.
    Thanks to our hosts and all you posters for lots of good input.
    Guess what. There will be a new navi disc coming out soon. Version 4.70 will hopefully fix and replace that buggy 4.62 disc. 4.62 would cause problems with older cars. They say by the end of January or early Feb.
  • I have always liked the design of the previous RL thru 04. I'm pondering as to whether to save the cash and buy a pre-owned one or spend an additional $10K and buy an O* Accord. Suggetions? Thanks.
  • We have a 1999 Acura RL that we will be either selling on our own or trading in on a new vehicle.

We are wondering if it is better just to do the trade-in or if we have a chance or making more money on our own. Just concerned that there may not be a demand for this vehicle and that we should just cut our losses rather than dealing with selling ourselves? Any advice??