Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• Options
    theicemantheiceman Member Posts: 736
    I know how you feel. When these other guys start talking supercharger and HUD, I feel a little left out in my SLE. Oh well, we all had the chance to buy an SSEi, didn't we? Our cars are still great and - as was said weeks ago - if it wasn't for the sales of the SE, the Bonneville line would surely wither on the vine. If we want to be able to drive the SSEi's, we owe a debt of gratitude to the SE.

Ken: you might want to reconsider a gold stripe on your SE - there's more chrome on the SE than on the SLE/SSEi and gold influences rarely look good on cars with chrome. You might be better off sticking with a muted grey/silver. Just my 2 cents.

theiceman
  • Options
    martyb4martyb4 Member Posts: 9
    2000 SLE
    Midnight Blue Metallic
    Dark Pewter Cloth Interior
    Manufacture Date: 12/99
    Options:
    Upgraded Stereo w/ CD & Cass. (Option Code U1Q)
    Traction Control
    Took delivery on 10/28/00.

My first choice would have been the "Canadian" (Right, Iceman?) Maple Red Metallic, but my '97 40th Anniversary SE was Dark Cherry Metallic, somewhat close. Also, the wife and I had agreed on the Dark Bronzemist Metallic. But, I kinda' "hemmed and hawed", and was just about to wait and look at the '01's when I heard about GMAC offering the 0% interest for 60 months on remaining '00's.

I was considering a fully loaded SE or "base" SLE. I was, of course, favoring the SLE. I really like some of the features you can't get on a SE, like the 17" wheels, body trim/molding & the personalization features. Although, I was very disappointed I couldn't get the memory seat/mirror option in the SLE.

In checking dealers within a reasonable range, I came across the Midnight Blue SLE. The longer I have the car, the more I like the color (would be "colour", if Maple Red). It looks great when clean (All 'both' times I've got to see it that way, I just can't wait for good weather). I would have liked leather, but no SLE's with leather and without sunroof then. I couldn't justify the extra $'s, I've gotten little use of sunroofs in the past. Overall, I am very happy with this car, regardless of color. Free financing for five years and I got them about $300-400 below invoice to boot.

I'd like to see some pictures of these cars with pinstripes. Have any already been posted???

Later Gang
  • Options
    blk2001blk2001 Member Posts: 13
    KEN, HOW BOUT A LIGHTER GREEN STRIPE OR WHITE OR A COMBO?
    STAY AWAY FROM THE GOLD. JUST MY OPINION!

ICEMAN: THANKS FOR THE INFO ON THE CHILDPROOFING LOCKS. I'LL CHECK IT OUT.
    P.S. IT'S THE REAR/DRIVER SIDE DOOR
    ALSO YOU GUYS ; CHECK YOUR SPARE TIRE COMPARTMENT. THE HAVE BEEN REPORTS OF WATER COLLECTING IN THERE.
  • Options
    Do me the favour and not tease me about my spelling. In return, I'll let you laugh at me (should we ever meet and) when I say Zed-28 instead of Zee-28.

Marty, I'm with you on the rate break thing but the Canadian deal was nowhere near as good as yours - only 2.9% vs. your 0%. Still, since I was pricing low mileage '99 Auroras when the break came about, I found myself choosing between a used car (nice as it was) from a soon-to-be-defunct company and a brand new car (the Bonneville SLE). For me, leather was a prerequisite - as was the absence of a sunroof.

theiceman
  • Options
    skyhawk3skyhawk3 Member Posts: 42
    2001 SLE Light Bronze Mist
    Tan Heated Leather seats, no sunroof, radio upgrade with CD. Ordered late last September received car in four weeks. Just returned from two week trip to Outer banks, DC and the Jersey Coast. 2200 miles overall average 25.86 mpg. Live in Rhode Island and have a front plate. I do not use the fog lights. My wife made a pillow and a cover with straps for the headrest. I took her to Brookstone but she said she could make her own and do a better job. Her third revision did the trick. 6k plus miles no warranty issues. My son has a Maple Red Aztec and it is a sharp color. His sound system is much better. Bonneville is embossed in the left rear bumper. This is primarily my wife's car. I drive a 96 Sonoma extended cab pickup and the sunvisor has the extension. We both love the Bonnie.
  • Options
    ICEMAN:
    I AGREE WITH THE "NO SUNROOF" REQUISITE.
    IF I WANTED SUN BEATING DOWN ON ME, I'D BUY A RAGTOP.
    LET'S SEE HOW MANY "LEAKERS" WE HAVE IN 5 YEARS
  • Options
    h101h101 Member Posts: 62
    Yeah, Wisconsin has that law also... and someday my wife will give me a great deal of static when I walk in with that ticket... but in the meantime, click on this :)

http://members.home.net/weshelton/whattags.jpg

Oh... and as far as the speedo goes, I'm a tad old for a speedo... but a golf bag and a big suitcase fit in the back nicely cuz there is no spare tire and the gas tanks are behind the seats

See ya,

Bill

• Options
    Iceman - No teasing intended at all.

If any version of the English language deserves teasing it would be our American version. We've got an entire country down here that doesn't know if it's potato or potatoe, and is it catsup or ketchup???

I am with you on the leather. My '93 and '97 both had leather. It's much easier to clean, especially with having two youngsters. Like I said though, the deal was too good to pass up. I am thinking the Dark Pewter won't show dirt or stains too much. It's horrible to think that, but it's pretty much innevitable with my two.

Later
  • Options
    H101,

Two beautiful vehicles and a CLEAN WIDE OPEN garage!!!

It's just not fair
  • Options
    I'm with Marty - frankly I was disgusted with myself once I saw your pic. AND the cars look clean to boot!

It's okay Marty - I'm not that sensitive about our language. It's actually kinda interesting that, after all these years and being such close neighbours (there it goes again), our respective English languages have remained distinct.

I'm a big fan of leather because I find that it stands up better to the punishment doled out by our kids, cleans up well and looks luxurious to boot! Besides, it enhances resale value, yadda yadda yadda....

theiceman

P.S. still wondering who this Prado cousin is.
  • Options
    bdreggorsbdreggors Member Posts: 143
    Ugh! The fact that you HAVE a garage that will hold two cars sickens me! :) My house (typical Florida bungalow) was built during the mid-60s and will barely hold one real car...ironic.

As for me, my Bonnie has a mobile home of sorts: $150 custom fit car cover. Definetly a worthwhile investment, along with all the Zanio stuff!

Vtech83,
    I know exactly what you mean about the Regal's seats. I had a GS before my Bonnie, and the seats weren't great at all. One thing I miss about the Regal is the sleeper factor. You see that thing and people think "couch on wheels"...then you waste 'em at the green light! With the Bonnie, the darn thing looks fast; good thing it's got the guts to back it up!
  • Options
    mfahey1mfahey1 Member Posts: 419
    A couple of years ago, I painted my daughter's dark green SE and put on double red striping. She said that she had many favorable comments about the combination.
    Saw in the Chicago Tribune Automotive section that GM's former parts subsidiary, Delphi, has developed an all electric power steering with no hydraulics whatsoever. Of course a computer controls the whole thing but I think it is adaptable to different drivers. I'm thinking the Bonneville might be a good place for GM to dip their toes in the water with this new technology.
  • Options
    Now that would be a looker on green. Go for it Ken.

theiceman
  • Options
    refinerrefiner Member Posts: 59
    The black Vette and the black Bonnie. Sweet. Got the rear sway bar in today. Boy the factory bar was a wimpy piece of junk. Haven't had a chance to really try it yet. But I will. I seen in the Grand Prix store they have Koni sport struts. I wonder if they make them to fit the Bonneville.
  • Options
    jashoujashou Member Posts: 18
    Black 2000 SSEi, Charcoal int, roof, 15k hi, TX front plate, have owned the car 2.5 months and Love it. By the way, I previously owned a 300m. Bonne is much quicker and quietier (lot of road noise w/300), too many problems as well . Had Jet Chip PCM installed by local (Houston) auto aftermarket dealer on Friday, noticed slight power difference, but not as much as I was expecting. But I did have a problem, shortly after I drove off the "Service Engine Light Soon" came on and stayed on. I called Jet tech support and they said to uninstall and then reinstall, that it probably was not getting a good connection. The install tech I also had the tech at dealer speak to Jet to confirm the wiring configuration. He reviewed his work (which he said was wired correct in the 1st place), he disconnected wiring from under the dash and engine, and reinstalled service engine light still was on. I then decided to disconnect and remove the unit. I believe that I am sending it back, what a waste of time and money! As I drove home less than 3 miles down the road the serivce engine soon light went out. Obviously, the engine is identifying a problem for the light to come on. The Jet tech more or less told my install tech that these modules don't have defects. So beware if you are considering installing one. After removing the unit I thought I was going to have to go to the dealer to enter a program code to undo the light, at least I got lucky there. I am considering installing a 3.5 pulley, is there any potenial problems to it? By the way this spell check stinks!
  • Options
    cuzinbruceycuzinbrucey Member Posts: 10
    For the first 2 months of 2001, Bonneville sales are actually DOWN 20.8% compared to Jan-Feb 2000. I brought that fact up while negotiating with my dealer. 7,126 sold so far this year versus 8,996 last year.

Here is the link -> http://media.gm.com/news/releases/february_salesandproduction.html

I was alerted to this fact by http://www.fightingchance.com

which is a very useful (IMHO) tool when buying a car. The techniques and info were instrumental in helping me get a great deal. Highly recommended. It ain't free, but TANSTAAFL.

-They call me Bruce

• Options
    I am sure you guys get asked this a thousand times, but here goes: Synthetic motor oil - Yea or Nea?

My boss' boss here at work swears by MobilOne. He says "Don't wait. Change over right away. You won't regret it." Of course he mentions that BMWs and Porsches come with MobilOne straight out of the factory.

At this point, I am not going to change my own oil. But the guy I mentioned above brings his own oil and filter to the service center, and then watches through the glass to make sure they don't pull the old switcheroo on him. And my wife thinks I am turning into more of a car guy of late. I figure there are two reasons: owning a Bonneville and Nascar on Fox.

Any thoughts you have on this slippery debate would be much appreciated.

- Shoulda bought oil shares when I lived in Yewston, Texas
  • Options
    bdreggors - thanks for the line on the hat. The galaxy silver is a great color; almost bought one, but I saw one in town and didn't want to be a duplicate. I believe it is an SLE.

I guess all the dark maple reds went to New England. I checked over 20 dealers' stock here in NJ (using gmbuypower website) and didn't see any SSEi's in that color. I saw an Aztec at a dealer and did like the color, though. The NJ dealers seem to be about 50% black, 25% silver, one white, one midnight blue and a couple of bronzemists dark and light.

tpken - thanks. I cannot get over what a great ride this is. I get out of this car with a smile on my face. Talk about cheap thrills - well, maybe not so cheap...

hardesty & smfran - thanks for the advice, but I got antsy and tried to clean it myself. Bought leather cleaner/conditioner by Turtle Wax and it cleaned 99% of the spot. I will look for the Benckiser product.

As for the parallel parking mirror, I avoid pp-ing like the plague! Gimme those spaces I can pull
    straight in to (and I notice that I am now parking farther away in an effort to avoid those people who don't care what their car looks like, and they don't know how to park properly,
    and they aren't careful while opening their doors). This car is a blast to drive, but I actually WORRY when it is parked in a lot. How weird is that? I better start buying lottery
    tickets so I can buy an alternate Bonneville; one to drive, and the other to keep looking showroom new.

That reminds me - can anyone recommend a quality car cover for my baby? My wife gets the single-car (overcrowded) garage. I, too, am jealous of Wisconsin Bill's two cars and PLENTY of room left over garage.

-Garageless in Jersey
  • Options
    snicklesnickle Member Posts: 147
    Way too many post to comment directly, so here we go:

Model: 2000 SSEi

Color: Black with Dealer applied silver pin stripes (Black is hard to keep clean, but clean it looks great!!!!!!!!!!!)

Mods: 3.25 pulley, Cone Filter( still building the CAI), Saner 1" rear sway bars, casper AFPR, poly front end-links, autotrans intercepter(removed), Platinum injector(removed), Autotap, Chrome engine cover nut, nothing else I can remeber at the moment.

DIC Labeling: Steven|||||||| is what my currently says, since then my dealer has figured it out. Just have not been back in foir any kind of service.

Intense FPR: 46 psi, how did you measure this? Sounds like the vacuum line was still connected. 52 is what I got stock with the vacuum line disconnected and plugged. Should I check again?

Latest mods: Yakima roof rack and Cargo box. :-( neede to take a long trip with wife and kids. Back now and car back to normal. Actually worked well. If anyoone wants detaisl let me know.

Toque steer: Fact of life with a high horsepower fwd. I find it vary reasonable in the bonnie compared to other cars I have driven.

Intense 0-100: I will try to give you some comparison numbers soon. Need to find a road minus the cops. Tried ooon vacation and got a warning from a GA state trooper.

Pulley size: Unless you live at high altitude 3.25 is about as far as you can go. The problem is the rooots based supercharger looses ambioatic effiancy after that. If we add a intercooler or maybe water injection(intense I know you do not like this solution) then we might be able to handle more boost.

Saner Front Sway Bars: I talked to John at Saner. He is just about finished reworking his tooling for our front bar. 1.25 is a big bar and he is trying hard. He will be shipping all backordered bars soon and hope other ones will still be interested.

Other posts: I am sure I missed comenting on some. I will review the past post again and see what I missed.
  • Options
    tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Wow is this forum heating up these days - love to see it. We're going to be at 1000 sometime this week!!!

Thanks for the updates on Skyhawk3, Snickle, MartyB4 and Jashou - this excell spreadsheet is growing. I'll offer it by e-mail to any who would like it once I get a few more blanks filled in. Amazing how many black SSEis there are here.

On pinstripes - thanks for the suggestions. I too was leary of gold - and like your ideas - will have to think about what to do there - I'd like to see a few examples of Bonnevilles striped and take it from there.

Bill's garage - how on earth do you decide which car to drive?? What a gorgeous garage! A man's dream - having a space like that and those two cars to (partially) fill it!

Mobile One - I too am considering this change over. I have 22K on my SE now (it had 18 when I bought it in Jan)all highway driving. Think I'll change it around 5K miles - a few weeks away. Don't know whether to do the synthetic or not - no experience there.

Have a good night everyone - will check in again tomorrow.

Ken
  • Options
    Hi again...

Geeesh, I've gone from being a lurker to being a chatter box.... it is all smfran's fault.

martyb4, theiceman, bdreggors, tpken... it is worse than you imagined... it is a four car garage (I kicked my wife's GrandAm out for the photo), 2 wide and 2+ deep. Also, it has its own furnace, soft water and seven floor drains. So I can play with cars all winter. Rough, huh?

refiner... Thx :)

cuzinbrucey... Great posts with the sales numbers. I've always wondered what the numbers were. The Corvette also comes with Mobil One and you have to use it to maintain the warranty. I used to (eons ago) work for American Oil in the heavy oils area (includes motor oil). The synthetics really do hold up much better under heat and have a much more uniform molecular structure. I ask my dealer to use it on the change (he stocks it) and I trust him. Actually it doesn't cost me more than I used to pay because I used to change oil and filter every 2,000 miles. Now I change both when the DIC hits 50%. Whatever you do, decide on one brand of oil and stick with it.

Finally, I've got to post three more pix. The first shows me on the front fender of my Dad's Pontiac.

http://members.home.net/weshelton/38ponta.jpg

Some of you have seen the second one before. I posted it about a year ago on this forum. It is my first Bonneville. I bought it new when I was 26 years old... now you know I'm older than dirt :)

http://members.home.net/weshelton/62pont3.jpg

and, finally another black Pontiac... a really fun one in 1984 :)

http://members.home.net/weshelton/84fie2a.jpg

Note, it has a front plate...

Do you guys think I might like black cars?

Bill
  • Options
    Love that Black convertible - a 62 right? Saw a similr one on E-Bay last week but forget what it went for - pretty good price I recall.

Can I move into your garage? My Bonneville isn't black but I could sleep in it!

Ken
  • Options
    It is a '62. It had a deep wine leather interior, a huge, gasoline gulping, 4-barrel carborated (sp?) engine... and I was a Second Lt in the army.
  • Options
    Thank you very much. What a great collection of shots of that '62 Bonneville convertible on EBay. Brought back great memories to see the dash layout and stuff. Just like I remember it :)

Bill
  • Options
    Bruce: I would've switched to synthetic at my first oil change but the service guy talked me out of it, saying that it would cost me way too much unless I had had the foresight to bring my own (he suggested buying a case and bringing it in next time). Since that's what he did with his own car, I thought "fine". So at 6,000 miles, it'll be Mobile 1 synthetic for my Bonnie.

2001 sales: Yeah, they tanked big time. Those December incentives ended up advancing sales from early 2001 (I bought mine Dec. 21). Local dealers are assuring me that sales have pulled up in March from among the most brutal January-February periods they have experienced in recent memory. March numbers will be out next week - worth a look-see.

theiceman

P.S. Ken - I think you're responsible for bringing the lurkers out of the shadows. Heck, this forum made it to no. 3 on the "top 10 hot discussions" list. Way to go buddy!
  • Options
    smfransmfran Member Posts: 432
    This discussion is now getting posts like it used to back on the old web site.

What was puzzling me was why I see so many more 300Ms vs. 2000/1 Bonnevilles despite the sales numbers. Then I realized that the 300M design has been out for at least four years.

In the sales brochure for the 2000 and 2001 Bonneville the wording for the leather is just plain Connolly. I don't know where the word Prado was seen.

If anyone wants me to Email a picture of my Midnight Blue with double white pin stripe let me know. I'll warn you that it takes a few minutes to down load as it is in a MS Paint program.

Martyb4 - My '97 SSE was also Dark Cherry Metallic but not an Anniversary edition. I thought the anniversary was '98.

Bill - Glad to see you back. I think this is the second time I've awakened you. Glad you reposted the pics for the newer guys.

Not only is a front plate required for all newer registrations in Mass., when I got stopped for pushing my Bonnie a little too fast, I got a warning for having an acrylic cover on my rear plate. I have no plans to remove it however and put one on my wife's too!

bdreggors - Is your location Florida, Taiwan?
  • Options
    zzahhzzahh Member Posts: 47
    Just hide in the weeds, come out and put my 2 cents worth in every once in a while. Nice post on the 62' ragtop.

My very first car was a 66 Catalina Wagon. A complete heap, but the ol' 389 went like a bat out of hades. Since that time I have owned a 66' Bonneville ragtop, a 74 Catalina, 2 88' Fiero GT's (to think they cancelled that potential, and actually spent R&D dollars on this Aztec thing, go figure) a 92' SE and now a '94 SSEi Blk/Gold Tan ALL the toys. Nice ride for sure, but all of you have me drooling over the '00-'01 models. Might have to wait on one for a bit, as they say it is cheaper to keep her.........

Brett

WI
  • Options
    Probably most people can add anecdotal stories about the pros and cons of synthetic. We have an old 1988 Caravan which we bought new. Wife's car, both kids learned to drive on it, got them through college as a moving van, now has 185,000 miles on it and is about to be retired to Maine as a beater-mobile at our summer cabin(Sorry Ken, the only time I can bring myself to use the word camp is when I'm out East). I've always changed the oil myself at fairly short intervals and have always used regular oil. While we've had many problems with the vehicle as is typical with the older Chrysler's, the bottom end of the engine still seems to be fine even on regular oil after all of these miles. In the next month or so, I'll be driving it 1100 miles to its retirement home and I wouldn't be taking it on if I thought a rod would come out the pan.
    On the other hand, my son and his wife inherited her dad's Volvo which has always used Mobil 1. It now has 258,000 miles on it and is still going strong.
    Perhaps if you are subjecting the car to extremely severe duty such as trailering, synthetic would be a good choice but regular oil changes and today's vastly improved engines will also keep these cars going for a long, long time.
  • Options
    HERE'S THE STUFF TO ELIMINATE SWIRLS:
    3M IMPERIAL HAND GLAZE
    PT NO 051131-05990
    THIS STUFF MAKES THE FINISH FACTORY NEW...NO KIDDING
    JUST FOLLOW DIRECTIONS ON BOTTLE
    DID I SPELL SWIRL CORRECTLY?
  • Options
    We're going to make 1000 posts real soon here - let's keep the excitement going!

Update on List: 28 Bonnevilles recorded including Brett zzahh's 94 SSEi and Kevin kzm's 92 SE. There are 17 new SSEi models of which 9 are black. 5 SLEs, 2 other (not so lowly) SEs heheheh, and 2 yet undefined lurkers (Jakec1 and Caludencias)

Ken
  • Options
    Stephen - I'd love to see pics of your SSEi with the pinstriping. Please email me at Ken.Galle@ametek.com

Thanks

Ken
  • Options
    Brett - Thanks for providing specs for your 94 SSEi. Sounds like a sweetheart! I've got you on my database. That 66 convertible was one of my favorites as a kid - I was in lust with that car! Any pics?

Mark - Ice is going out on the lakes and ponds now - hopefully we'll be raking up the yards (pronounced yaHd) soon at CAMP! I'll be watching for that old Caravan going over the bridge!

Ken
  • Options
    mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    2000 SSEi, Midnight Blue/Dark Pewter, sunroof, CD changer, heated seats, engine block heater...everything except the chrome wheels. Ordered first week of February 2000, delivered four weeks later. Thankfully Florida does not require a front plate; it looks great with the depression cover! Unfortunately, the local expressway authority recently changed from a hidden bumper-mounted electronic toll collection transponder to a windshield-mounted one. Ugly!

• Options
    scottnsc1scottnsc1 Member Posts: 16
    I guess I might as well jump on in here although I don't get to pick up my new Bonneville at the dealer until tomorrow.

Galaxy Silver/Dark Pewter Leather/SE with 1SC option group & sunroof.

I noticed several Canadian post about a dark green color, but that doesn't appear to be available here. I asked my dealer to locate either the maple or silver and I would have been just as happy either way.

I have been driving a Bronzemist that the dealer had in inventory (of his 6 Bonnie's all were Bronzemist except for one).

I love this car!! I have never had a car with this much power, style and comfort.

I was thinking I wanted an SUV, but now I'm so glad that I drove a Bonneville before buying the SUV.

My dealer provides free oil for as long as I own the car (I pay for labor & filters). Is this typical or do I have a dealer who really cares?

Thanks for all the great info on this car.
  • Options
    Another SE owner joins the pack - YESSS!

Welcome Scott - it's great to see you here particularly as another SE owner (2000 in that Spruce Green you mentioned). You've just swelled the new model SE ranks by 50% and are now the second Galaxy Silver member recorded here. Yours sounds like a gorgeous car and I can imagine how excited you are to be picking it up tomorrow. There is little in a man's life that matches the anticipation and enjoyment of that first day behind the wheel of your brand new ride.

Welcome and please keep us informed of your experiences with the Bonneville.

Ken
  • Options
    kzmkzm Member Posts: 55
    Nice Ride! Thanks for the picture.
  • Options
    Yes Michael - magnificent automobile! Curious - why did you decide to order the block heater and bun warmers in Orlando?

Enjoy that blue beauty.

Ken
  • Options
    pturner1pturner1 Member Posts: 33
    I to have be lurking around this board for about a year, but have never had any problems to post.
    I got delivery on mine 01/25/00. A midnight blue with dark pewter leather and heated seats, sunroof, chrome wheels. I use Mobil1 and have a drop in K&N filter. I replaced the factory stereo with an Alpine CVA-1005 display and sound processor, DVD navigation, 12 disc changer, subwoofer and amp. Makes those Bose speakers sound awesome. This is an incredible automobile, especially on extended trips. And the power... Now with 34000 miles.
    Next is a 3.5" pulley and sway bars.
    Glad to be part of the Bonnie owners out there.
    Rick
  • Options
    Having read the sales figures for the 2000 Bennevilles, I'm highly insulted that, with all due respect to vtech, there were 3 times as many LeSabres/Park Avenues sold as Bonnevilles. To paraphrase the WHO, hope I die before I hit the Buick demographics although I do have some vague memories of my 46th birthday.
    Our dealer charges $8.00 period for an oil change and for as long as you own your car. After all these years of doing it myself, I can't pass that up.
  • Options
    mlm4 IS GOING TO RETIRE UP NORT... HEY DER. THAT EXPLAINS THE BLOCK HEATER.
    I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE CHOICE OF WHEELS($750 OPTION), ARE THOSE 17"?
    VERY NICE CAR............U WILL ENJOY IT!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    skyhawk3skyhawk3 Member Posts: 42
    My wife and I are about to close in on 60 this year. Part of the reason we chose the Bonnie was that we wanted a car that didn't sway like the Queen Mary (most buicks) in a curve. We also wanted the dual exhaust look. For you younger guys duals were very popular in the 50's. The style of the Bonnie appealed to us more than any other GM product and we looked at every GM brand except the Caddy. When I met my wife she was driving a Desoto with a Hemi under the hood. Wish I had that car now.
  • Options
    vtech83vtech83 Member Posts: 66
    mfahey1:

I guess I'm doing my part to help Buick change their traditional demographics. Never would have bought a pre-2000 LeSabre. That particular car screams traditional demographics. It just looks like a retirement car. The dealer tried to get me into a Park Avenue, but I feel the same way about that car.

The new LeSabre, IMHO, breaks the traditional demographics image. The outside is clean and integrated. Very little use of chrome. The front grill is smaller. Overall, the car has a sleek look to it. More than one publication has said it looks like a bigger Jag S-type. I agree. The similarities are there. The inside of the LeSabre is almost sport sedan in nature, with the exception of the console shifter. Lots of storage areas. Big speedo and tach gagues. A few wood trim acents. Bucket seats, if you want to call them that. All the same DIC goodies that you get on the Bonnie, even the HUD. The 2000+ LeSabres are ten times better than the previous models.

I actually considered the Bonneville SSEi, but it just wasn't the styling I was looking for. I looked at the SE, but I couldn't get the options I wanted. If it were me, I wish Pontiac would have followed the same pattern they did with the Firebird. A Formula is basically a Trans Am in a Firebird's body. If Pontiac had offered the SLE the same way, an SSEi in an SE body, I'd be driving one right now.

Well, enough rambling. The G-body is a great platform, be it Bonneville or LeSabre or Aurora or Seville. Too bad there aren't any Grand-Prix type websites out there for the G-bodies.

- vtech83
  • Options
    Ezrapon - Rod - what year is your black SSEi?

Whogault - Paul - what color is your 2000 SSEi?

Mrobinson3 - Mason - what year and color are your SSEi?

Jakec1 - What model is your black 2000 Bonneville?

Caludencias - Claudio - what year, model and color is your Bonneville?

Derrick080 - what color is your 2000 SLE?

Ken
  • Options
    loud_pontiacloud_pontiac Member Posts: 12
    Hello, my name's Cameron and I have a 1992 SE. With upgraded stereo, hence the user name. You can look at pictures of my car at http://members.cardomain.com/zazzz

Anyway, I have one question: does anyone know if there is a K&N that fits my car? I heard that the filters only fit 1994+. Can you fit one of those in a 1992 air box?

• Options
    mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    I knew it wouldn't be long before someone asked about the heated seats and the block heater. Short answer is that I plan to keep the car longer than I plan to live in this sauna they call "Florida." I'm from Massachusetts and fully intend to move back to New England (or somewhere not so stinkin' hot) at some point - I just don't know when quite yet (BTW, unfortunately retirement is a long way off for me). I actually did use the heated seats three or four times (briefly) this past winter, 'cause you know it does get into the 30's a few times here! (And it's a damp cold!)

As far as the block heater, in all the years I lived in Mass. and Colorado, I only used the block heater on my truck maybe twice because it was usually garaged overnight, but since I was ordering the car the $35 option was a no-brainer. Why not? It's fun to watch the salesman at the dealership squirm when I tell them I want the block heater, because they think I'm nuts and don't want to be stuck with an "unsellable" car with a block heater if I back out of the order (they're so uptight).
  • Options
    The "green color" is Spruce Green Metallic available in 2000 but not in 2001.

mlm4 - How can I post a picture like you did? Do I need a digital camera? Can I post from a scanner? I'm in Mass. and did not order the Block Heater. Never had one and never needed one.

Vtech - With all due respect, why would anyone want an SSEi in an SE body?
  • Options
    bdreggorsbdreggors Member Posts: 143
    Maybe I can field this one. The SE has more chrome and has a more 'plain' look than the SSE or SSEi. This would give the car a sleeper quality that the agressivly-designed SSEi doesn't have. Plainly, what LOOKS faster, a Trans Am or a base Firebird?
  • Options
    Thanks Brian for the clarification from Florida, Taiwan.
    I really do understand because my '87 Buick Regal T Type was called by many, "a wolf in sheep's clothing". This was because it was really a Grand National in pretty much Regal trim. Sorry Vtech!
  • Options
    boosted1boosted1 Member Posts: 90
    Hello everyone.

My wife and I just picked up our new Bonneville tonight.

2001 Dark Bronze Mist SSEi,Sunroof,chrome wheels, heated seats.

I have been lurking around the forum, over the last few weeks, while deciding on what vehicle to buy. I must admit that listening to all your positive comments certainly made us feel good about our decision. (plus the car is awesome any way)

Now that we have it in the garage I will have to spend a few hours programing everthing.
  • Options
    Hey Boosted, welcome to our world. Great car, you'll love it :)

Also, Loud (Cameron)... doesn't look like a snake to me... just a great looking machine... but if it did look like a snake, I would be scared outta my wits :)
This discussion has been closed.