Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    ... I'll go ahead and ask Karen to set one up for you. I know she's kind of backed up, so it's not going to happen right away anyway - not sure how long it might take.

I'll check back tomorrow, and if no one tells me not to, I'll go ahead and talk to her.

(I really think you will end up loving it, BTW :-))

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • theicemantheiceman Member Posts: 736
    Make it so. Just let us know what you need from us.

For da guyz: At my dealership today - they had a new dark bronzemist '01 SSEi with the dark grey leather interior (and a moonroof - groan...). It's gone up about $1500 Cdn since '00. Also saw an "executive demo" '00 SLE - maple red with dark grey leather - mileage and price unknown (not for long, I assure you). Verrry nice colour in person. I've got a loaner '01 Century while they're checking out my minivan - not a bad car, actually. Sound system is quite good (not in frog's territory but quite acceptable).

theiceman
  • smfransmfran Member Posts: 432
    for attempting to enhance our edmunds.com experience. After reading the posts in "About the clubs message board", I know that we need to pick two spokespersons. My assumption is that you will start us off and then we will need actual participants to be our official leaders. I nominate theiceman and tpken. Guyz?
    Actually, KarenS will be your host for any new additional discussions. L8_Apex and I will continue to host this one, and assuming the Problems discussion is linked there (I asked for it, I'm sure it won't be a problem), Mr. Shiftright will continue to host it.

It will be great if you come up with two spokesfolks - I think they call them community leaders - but it is not a requirement. There was a time when it was - maybe what you read was some old info, I'm not sure.

But if two of you (and from my viewpoint, I think you nominated a coupla likely candidates!) want to be community leaders, that would be great.

After seeing theiceman's post following mine, I went ahead and emailed Karen to go for it. Like I say, I know she is pretty swamped, but she'll get to it as quickly as she can.

You folks will have to be sure to post in this discussion how you are liking it so that I will know if you are happy with it!

Pat
    Host
  • bdreggorsbdreggors Member Posts: 143
    Just chiming in here...sounds like a great idea! I also nominate Theiceman and Tpken for spokesmen. Seems like its about time we had a forum like that that's more expanded to include problems/suggestions things like that.

Pat,
    What would a timeframe be on opening a Bonneville Owner's Club?
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Gosh - you turn off the PC and when you tune back in you find yourself nominated for a new job! lol I think I'll go look at Impala owner's forum to see what this is about.

BTW - what's the pay? I hope there's a company car (Bonneville SSEi of course) in the package!

Ken
    Whew - just looked over in the GM Return forum after being off line for a few hours - man oh man those GM haters over there are a backstabbing, mean spirited bunch! I had been enjoying a bit of light sparring there relative to comparing GM to the Toyota and Nissan sedans and got broadsided in my absence. It's pretty low when someone starts dragging your kids through the slime!

Glad we have a civil bunch of lucid thinkers here in Bonneville heaven!

Ken
    bdreggors - not sure when Karen can get to it, but she will surely do it as soon as she can. I'll pass along any updates as I get them.

tpken - if you get a company car, I get a company PLANE!

Pat
    Host
    I'm sure we're up to the challenge buddy. But it might mean that we'll have to keep our noses out of that "other forum" - and I'm not referring to the Impala (wink wink). :)

I'll send you an e-mail so we can correspond directly if need be.

theiceman
  • rb8225rb8225 Member Posts: 33
    Hey Iceman- thanks for the post about the load leveler noises. The day I got my car my wife and I were sitting in it in the garage, and the same thing happened, Weird noises from the back. My wife asked what it was, and all I could do was shrug. Now, next time we hear it, I can say "Oh, you meant THAT noise? Well, that's the load leveler..."

So, does anyone have any good info about the StabiliTrak suspension system? There is precious little mention in the owner's manual about it. I thought I read somewhere that this helps if the car starts to skid sideways, during a turn. But, I think it also said that with the StabiliTrak, you don't steer into the skid like we've always been taught, but rather you keep it pointed where you really wanted to go. Does this make sense? Has anyone actually tried it, either on purpose or inadvertently? Does it work if your also hitting the brakes yourself?
    Robin: heres a couple of links for you (yeah, theyre for a Caddy): Stablitrak1 and Stabilitrak2 .

theiceman

Dan - yes - I'm looking forward to whatever we can do to assist in the owner's club.

BTW - I posted in the LeSabre forum an question that pertains to us here. Is there any interest in organizing a meet for Bonneville and potentially other G body cars like LeSabre (and maybe Aurora too?) I'd enjoy participating in such an event somewhere in the Northeast this summer. In fact, I can't imagine anything more fun than getting to see a few of these modified SSEi models as well as the SLE and SE participants here.

Comments and suggestions?

Ken
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Member Posts: 419
    Finally got around to e-mailing Saner to find out what the deal was on my new stabilizer bars. He'll be sending the rear one out very soon but it's the front one he is having trouble with.
    For those of you relatively new to the forum, Saner Performance makes replacement stabilizer bars and bushings for our cars. You can contact him at SANERPERFFAB@cs.com. Others who have installed them have been very positive about them.
    Regarding the load leveler system, if you look in the trunk, there is an air connection that you can use for various things. I had a 96 SE that had the computer command ride option and it used a compressor to pump up the shocks and struts if you wanted a "performance" ride and let the air out for a softer ride. It also had the connection in the trunk that could be used for inflation.
    I didn't think this was available on the '00-'01 except for the SSEi (and it's pretty obviously placed on those models). I must check it out.

Geez this car is loaded with features: 3 months + of ownership and I'm still finding things.

theiceman
  • ezraponezrapon Member Posts: 348
    I have hit one brick wall after another trying to enhance the stereo system. The radio is part of the cars mainframe computer and can not be messed with. CD changers other than factory installed are not a possibility. If you add amps you will amplify the chime system and have horrible distortion (been there, done that). I have run line out converters from the front speakers which are the bass woofers and added a rockford fosgate amp and sub, but because of the i ohm Bose system, it has never really sounded right. IF you have gotten around these problems, you need to tell us how... these sound systems are worthy of a sunbird at best.
  • kzmkzm Member Posts: 55
    Ken

I am interested in a G-body/Bonneville gathering. Count me in.

KZM
    Kevin - what part of NJ are you in? I go through your state en route to PA via Rt 287 and 78 most months

Ken
  • pturner1pturner1 Member Posts: 33
    When I decided to buy my 2000 SSEi, I wanted GPS navigation. I had the dealer install an Alpine DVD navigation system and because of that, none of the Pontiac system (except the speakers) was compatible. But, I ended up with certainly one of the best sound systems I have ever heard.

The installer had to replace the 12 disc changer, amplifier, and head unit.(I luckily got some credit on these items.) And, had quite a problem with the Bose 1 ohm speakers.

In the car now:

Alpine AiNet NVE-N851A DVD navigation system

CVA-1005 display

ERA-G320 sound field processor

CHA-1214 12 disc changer

MVR-503 amplifier

SBS 254F powered subwoofer

and the factory Bose spreakers

From what I have experienced, The Pontiac system is very difficult to modify, if it can be at all.

I have lost the steering wheel controls and the display of the radio on the HUD. However, there is a company, http://www.soundgate.com/products.html
    that makes an interface that regains the controls on the steering wheel. But they haven't developed it for the 2000 model yet.

I hope this gives some insite on what you are facing.

Rick

2000 SSEi

Midnight Blue, Dark pewter heated leather

Chrome wheels

Sunroof
  • frog_sc38frog_sc38 Member Posts: 7
    More later .... Websense is about to cut me off.
    Continued ...
    I have heard a few complaints about orange peel and had assumed that since the car was black there was just some peel that had to be tolerated. The keyless entry range goes to inches sometimes and I know that I will never have a black car again. Any other black owners care to comment ? The peel is most noticeable on the doors at the top, where the door kind of curves. I looked at two black Bonnie's on the lot and they had the identical peel.
    Do you feel if I went to the dealer and showed them this orange peel they would repaint it ?
    Ptuner1 : Did they remove your factory head unit ?
    The stereo install in the car has been a nightmare. I remember hearing that you can not even remove the factory head unit. You have to relocate it. Can anyone confirm or deny this ?Right now I use a tape adapter to input the Neo and a cheap LOC which is spliced into the 6x9's.
    But either the system has the low bass blocked or the LOC is cutting off the bottom end. Regardless when a really deep hit comes around 30 to 20 z... It is not there.
    Why does the SSEi have standard On-Star? Am I the only who doesn't want to pay 600 dollars for equipment I am not going to use? Especially since they don't include anything but the basic service for a year. Will anybody in this forum continue to pay for the service after the year runs out ? After they took the time to design the antennae into the windows. Then they put a cell antenna(up)instead. Thanks for listening to me rave : )

L8tr

Frog

PS The owners club sounds great...
    Oh, my heart is pounding, face flushed, mind on one track only. What a sight. Just now - walking during my lunch hour, thinking of a hundred things and I looked up. She's gorgeous. Svelte, shapely, and approaching me. There's a distant but recognizable air of familiarity - so sophisticated, classy. Dressed to the nines in shimmering silver sensuality. I stop in my tracks and gaze into those clear eyes, unblinking, mirroring my admiring stare. She passes by me. Is it my imagination that there was an elegant smile? She's gone by now and I have turned, staring unashamedly at her SxE derierre. Was this an apparition or did it really happen? I can't be sure now. But I know I'll be looking for her now every day, hoping to eventually find this magnificent object of desire. I'd like to introduce her to another SxE friend. They have so very much in common.

Ken
  • rb930rb930 Member Posts: 1
    As the current owner of a '95 Bonneville SLE, I mentioned a Bonneville to a relative who needs a different car. One option he wants is the memory seats that allow one button to adjust seat/mirrors for different drivers. I know the 2001 SSEi has this but can somebody tell me if this was available on any 1998 or 1999 models. In addition, do you have any feedback on the reliability of the 1998/1999 models. Thanks.
    I doubt seriously if the dealer would do a repaint in the case of orange peel and I would recommend you stay away from a repaint if at all possible. Say what we will about how the paint system could have been better on many of our cars, the factory finish still beats a repaint hands down. The orange peel is most likely in the clear coat because even an amateur like me can apply the color coat evenly. If it isn't too bad, you might be able to sweet talk the dealer into buffing it out. I have to add that buffing out clear coat is absolutely nothing like how it was done in the "old" days with lacquer or enamel. The paper and the compound are much, much finer to get that glossy look.
  • pturner1pturner1 Member Posts: 33
    frog_sc38: Yes, they did remove the head unit and it is now in my basement with the factory amp. They wired it so if I traded the car (slim chance!), the factory system could be reinstalled. Unfortunately, my car was broken into and the Alpine head unit was stolen and the insurance company suggested a Alpine dealer in my area (I moved from Indy to Chicago). The new installer ripped everthing out to reinstall and I lost the ablity to put the factory unit back in. (jerk!)
    The company that did the original install, Indy Automotive Electronics, 2420 East 55th, Indianapolis, IN 46220, 800-748-0422(talk to Tyler Orton), became experts on the 2000 SSEi electronics when they set up my car. They also put in an aftermarket remote start and alarm system. I know they had many obstacles to overcome to make the electronics sync.
    Ken

I'm located in northern NJ at the intersections
    of routes 80 and 287 (Parsippany). Only a Bonneville could make that commute enjoyable to drive.

KZM
  • skyhawk3skyhawk3 Member Posts: 42
    My only contact with ON STAR was to activate it. That was last October. They asked me if I would be interested in having a cell phone service. I was interested and was told it would be available before the end of March. I have not heard from them since. I have no inclination to shell out money for this service after the first year. For what I paid for the car, Pontiac should send help forever if the air bags deploy. Given a choice, I would not have had it in the car.
    Kevin - I'm heading to PA on Sunday the 22nd. I was thinking of staying over in your area that night. Want to meet?

Ken
  • martyb4martyb4 Member Posts: 9
    Well I just now finally got through all of the posting since my last one. This forum has been HOTT!!!

Too much info to even think about responding or adding to for right now.

It's all good!
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    When OnStar was added as standard equipment on the 2000 SSEi in the spring, it added $195 to the MSRP and included one year of Safety & Security Plan which costs $199. So you could say the hardware was free. You can go to OnStar.com for infomation about personal calling (the cell phone). As far as if it is worth the cost, there was a article in USA Today on March 7th (page 8D) about the benefit of a telematic system in cars. And with ADT or Brinks charging $26 per month for home security monitoring, $16 or less per month for OnStar is something to consider.
    I've heard a few (well-publicized) stories about stolen vehicles being located thanks to the Onstar and there are other fairly cool features. My brother in law has tried the "whole 9 yards" service (I'm reasonably sure that that's not the correct name) and he was impressed with the service. I personally give GM credit for developing the system (and similar useful gadgets). Would I continue to subscribe after the 1st year if I had it? (it wasn't available on my 2000 SLE) Probably. Still, I recognize it's not for everyone.

theiceman
    Nice poetry Ken. I hope you were writing about a woman.

theiceman
    and a real young one too - couldn't have been more than 1 year old based on the style she was wearing! Best part - I work in Mass and commute (As you know) from Maine. This Silver SE had Maine plates! You know I'm going to find that Bonneville somehow. It was absolutely gorgeous. Maybe I'll be able to set up a 2 Bonneville carpool - man wouldn't that be sweet!

Ken
  • bigred00bigred00 Member Posts: 13
    Central New York it is Ken. Interior is taupe. Does anyone have any suggestions for best product to use to clean the base SSEi wheels of brake dust stains?
  • boosted1boosted1 Member Posts: 90
    The benefits of the system are impressive, I think I read somewhere that they can perform diagnostics on the car as well.We also recieved 30 minutes of free phone time when we activated the system. I hope their prices go down before my freebie is up.

I would like to get rid of that ugly antenna they stuck on the rear window.
    Looking for tips on the best way to spend $500 to boost the (non-Bose) stereo in my '00 SLE. I want better base response and little or no distortion at the low end at moderate volume. That's all - too much to ask?

Suggestions please.

theiceman
  • cuzinbruceycuzinbrucey Member Posts: 10
    KZM - if you see a dark bronzmist 2001 ssei around town, it is me - I live in Lake Hiawatha (the next house over is in Parsippany).

Re OnStar: I once locked the keys in my Accord while it was running (long story - I blame it on muscle memory) and ended up waiting over 30 minutes for my wife to come "rescue" me. It is probably harder to do such a thing in the Bonneville, but I sure appreciate the door unlock being just a quick phone call away if it ever happens again.

And the ability to locate the vehicle if it is stolen *may* reduce your insurance a little - if you let your agent know.

As for upgrading the service, I haven't yet looked at the brochure. The only thing my salesman could tell me was that it added a concierge (sp?) service.

600 miles on this baby (in 2 weeks) and I am still loving it!!!!!!

Cuz
    My brother-in-law tells me a story about being out with a friend in a less-familiar part of the city. His friend needed to buy something and was looking for a Canadian Tire (a Canadian chain store with no direct US equivalent I know of). They weren't sure where it was, so they called OnStar & the operator took them right there - a small thing perhaps but extremely useful for those who share my gender's trait of not asking strangers for directions. Yeah, it's an expensive service and it's not for everybody but, if my car had it, I'd probably subscribe.

That '01 dark bronzemist SSEi at my dealer has me thinking.... No, wake up Dan! 2 in your driveway would look silly!

I have heard that the '02 might be retiring a colour and adding a new one. Any guesses which colours might come and go?

theiceman
  • fantascpfantascp Member Posts: 175
    hey guys- i'm next door to both of you- i live in ogdensburg - by Sparta NJ- also commute -to and from Newark NJ- 280W to 80W to 15N to 517N
    keep in touch

Chuck.
    Kzm, cuzinbrucey and fantascp - what do you say - how about a meet in your area. I pass through regularly (in my Bonneville of course) and would love to stop by and make it an even quartet - two SSEi and 2 SE models. Maybe some others will decide to join in.

Ken
  • scottnsc1scottnsc1 Member Posts: 16
    Well, it's day 7 with my new Bonnie, and I do love this car. Aside from the trunk leak (or pooling of water around the rim) and a few small rattles (dash & driver door) I've had no problems.

We took a short trip this weekend and I have to say this is the most comfortable car I've ever owned - great ride, quiet, powerful.

It gets lots of admiring looks too. (To the lady in the burgandy Impala - yes, my car is built on the same platform as yours, but mine is Cinderella and yours is the ugly step-sister!)
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ....but I'm here to announce the new Bonneville Owners Club is now available on Edmunds.com Owner's Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in Sedans.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
    Thanks, Karen - this is going to be great! I for one am interested in the late ET chat idea. Going to have to reread how to post pics up on the gallery and get my Green beauty recorded there.

Iceman - I think all the mods could be grouped together - but the SSEi boys are likely to be the most frequent posters there so whatever they say is fine with me.

Got to go out for my walk now - hoping to catch a glimpse of my Galaxy Silver apparition from yesterday!

Ken
    Thanks Karen! I'm heading over there right now.
    Ken, eat your heart out. I just got done planting part of my garden whereas if I were in Maine, I'd probably be planting "snow" peas. Took a very nice ride today with the sunroof open, just enjoying the car. Heard from my cousin in Maine that although normally the ice is gone on our pond by late March/early April, this year it may be early May.
    Based on the fact that my car has no dings or chips of any kind and that I've got my wife trained to not drive this car, you probably have assumed that I'm paranoid about the car and you're probably right. So this morning, I go to the gym and park out in the south forty as always with no one within at least 75 feet of me. When I came out, there was still no one within 75 feet of me except for the guy struggling to get out of his car that he had parked rightnext to mine. No damage done but still makes you wonder about the psychology of seeing a car by itself and having to park next to it. Go figure.
    Mark - I actually saw a few crocuses and a robin this morning on the way to work - but in Mass, not Maine. Still traces of snow here and there. It's MUD season now - my favorite time of year - NOT! I'll be watching the Masters in Augusta to see the spring greenery and azaleas in bloom while doing my taxes this weekend - and longing to be ANYWHERE nice!

Ken
    Brian - I'm interested in your car cover. I'll be needing one at camp this summer as we have a number of pines that drip in our yard (no driveway - just paHk in the yaHd!) Does yours repel water as well?

Ken
    The one I have is a NOAH custom-tailored car cover. It actually stops water from penetrating, but is also designed to 'breath' and release any trapped moisture that remains under the cover.

Its a very worthwhile investment, in my opinion. I just wash/wax my car, put the cover on, and when I drive it next, it was good as new. Down here, we just got over a huge pollen bloom, which turned my company truck green, but the cover really worked for my Bonneville.

Here's a link to where I ordered mine:

http://www.carbytes.com/noah.htm

• montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    For those of your keeping score at home:
    2000: #12 Galaxy Silver, #16 Arctic White, #35 Spruce Green, #41 Black, #44 Maple red, #54 Light Bronzemist, #60 Topaz Firemist, #62 Midnight Blue, #73 Red-Violet, #76 Dark Bronzemist.
    2001: #12 Galaxy Silver, #40 Ivory White, #41 Black, #44 Maple Red, #54 Light Bronzemist, #62 Midnight Blue, #76 Dark Bronzemist, #91 Polo Green.
    2002: #12 Galaxy Silver, #25 Ming Blue, #40 Ivory White, #41 Black, #44 Maple red, #54 Light Bronzemist, #59 Granite, #91 Polo Green.
  • smfransmfran Member Posts: 432
    over to the new Owner's Club (thanks Pat), I'll state that I'm glad to see that my Midnight Blue will be retired (thanks montanafan). I wonder what the Ming Blue will look like.

P.S. to montanafan - Are you still driving the Voyager? What is your interest in the Bonneville?
    Thanks for the color update. I've never mind seen a Topaz Firemist or Red-Violet Bonneville. Guess I'll have to pull out my 2000 brochure to find those color swatches. The Ming Blue sounds interesting - I hope it is similar to the Majestic Blue on the silver anniversary Maxima - a gorgeous bright sapphire color that I would love to see here.

Ken
    Greetings,

Tpken-Ken-Great idea! The 22nd is fine. Anytime after 12pm is fine with me.

Cusinbrucey-Cuz-I am also in Lake Hiawatha! lower that is. the only other 2000 Bonnie I've seen is a silver SLE. Mine's the only Black pinstripe in town however. Yours must be brand spankin new! I hope you did get yours from Lomans, Those guy don't cut you any breaks!

Fantascp-Chuck-That's not far at all, You could come down here, or maybe we could meet you half way in the parking lot of Rockaway Townsqaure Mall.

Peace
    KZM (Kevin)
This discussion has been closed.