Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• loud_pontiacloud_pontiac Member Posts: 12
    The H-Body platform was used up until 1999, then in 2000 they switched over to the G-Body platform.

My 1992 SE has a rear anti-sway bar and a front strut tower brace, stock.
  • bdreggorsbdreggors Member Posts: 143
    Good ones, Henry. The "tap just to make sure" is VERY true. I blew my stack at a guy who did that to my Regal a few years ago. My God, was he taken back! ;-)

Just to add...
    1) If possible park next to a concrete island, this way only one car will park next to you.
    2) Avoid coupes...'nuff said.
    3) TAKING TWO SPACES IS NOT EFFECTIVE. I've seen Civics squeezed in a space with half the car sticking out of the lot.
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    I too was confused about the platform designations. The Bonneville and LeSabre are indeed H-platform vehicles, while the Aurora is a G-platform and the Seville is a K-platform - even though they are all closely related to one another. I don't get it, but my best guess is that the biggest differences between them (other than the bodies and model-specific features) are the engines. The Aurora and Seville also have slightly different suspension setups, I think. As a matter of historical perspective, my long-lost '82 Bonneville wagon was also a G-body (no relation, of course, other than the venerable 3.8L engine) - in fact it was called the "Bonneville Model G" to distingish it from the previous Bonnevilles, which had been the full-size land barge variety ('82 was the year Pontiac abandoned the full-size platform).

vtech - what section of the LeSabre Helm manual talks about programming the DIC? I have not been able to find it in the Bonneville manual (and I was a little surprised that there are separate manuals for the two cars - they used to be combined). It would help to have that if I ever try to get my dealer to do this, although I would really rather do it myself if the Tech2 was available to the general public.
    Ken - I'm sure you realize no offense was meant towards your spoiler-less car. We also know that you bought the car used and if you had a choice you would not have ordered the spoiler delete option, right? (It's not like the spoiler offers any performance advantages anyway.)

My girlfriend's new Alero has the rear spoiler, and it makes a big difference in the appearance of that car as well. But there is something about the Bonneville's lines that makes it look like something is missing when there is no spoiler. I guess like a Porsche without a tail, its meant to be there. They designed it that way. I dunno. (And about that Alero - I waxed it today, but I still haven't driven it. She took off with it after I was done. This must be rectified!)
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Mike - of course I know you didn't mean to offend - but my Bonnie is very sensitive to her uncovered derierre. She doesn't understand why everyone doesn't go au naturale like her!

Here's a somewhat similar anecdote relative to your gf situation there. I had just finished washing the Bonnie and her stable mate REPTAR (wife's green Suburban) - now there's a job for you. I was beginning to mow the lawn when I saw my wife heading down the walk with a set of keys to go food shopping. Guess which car she took. Hers? Uh uh. The 66 Mustang convertible? Nooo.
    My old Grand Marquis? O Contraire!

Makes me wish for memory seat buttons!

Enjoy the weekend. The beastly heat is gone here and the cool comfortable spring air is back. You can keep the 90 degree days down there in Fla! A few in July will suffice for me.

Take care

Ken
  • theicemantheiceman Member Posts: 736
    I'll wade in - I like both and I think the tail-less option has a water-shedding advantage that I envy. I also think that tail-less is appropriate for the less-adorned SE model - a look that might look out of place on the SLE and SSEi.

It looks like a couple of our compadres are losing their enamour of their Bonnies due to squeaks and rattles - mostly from those door panels. I think most of us agree that GM can make a great product but they still have a ways to go with interior build and selection of materials. Too bad - for I think that the Bonneville is otherwise a standout in the large car selection out there today.

Dan
  • HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
    I got gum in my carpet that I picked up off the sidewalk. How Do I GET Out the Stuff?

Emergencey Replies Welcome.

HENRI
    Gum in carpet: Freeze it with an ice pack or cube in a plastic bag - wait until it's really hard and will crumble - then go at it with a knife - if there's a large amount, you may have to keep applying the ice as you go.

I've heard of people who dissolve the gum with WD40 - I personally think that would be risky and would save it for a fallback (desperate) solutions.

Good luck Henry
  • smfransmfran Member Posts: 432
    Use the ice(man) method. if you spray it with anything that smells like WD40, you'll have the smell in the car(pet) long after the gum is gone.
    Good luck!
    Shake - my old Grand Marquis with snows removed - had tires rotated and now it shakes at 65 mph and up - got to get back to Sears for rebalancing - pain in the you know what. Bonnie is smooth and comfortable riding - I love this car!

Rattle - None in my Bonnie anywhere. Interior seems pretty well assembled. Only complaint is the firm seat - still not happy with lack of appropriate cushioning.

Roll - I notice the transmission allows more roll when in park than I'm accustomed to from Ford vehicles. Our Suburban doesn't seem so inclined. I've been using the emergency brake more regularly.

Have a great day everyone - today is what the old timers around here call a "corker".

BTW - you Canadian guys - I hear we are soon to be getting Tim Horton's chain in New England. Ought to give Dunkin Donuts a bit of competition - (eh?)

Ken
  • homer2000sseihomer2000ssei Member Posts: 159
    Well, miss a day (or three) and you miss a lot around here. I post from work - and left early friday cause i was babysitting a friends 99 vette convert - with our weather I wasnt gonna miss a day.

Took it to the track on Sunday - thats a story unto itself !

Iceman - Toronto area (Pickering actually)

tpken - if you love your exposed derrier - thats the key !

DIC programming - damned dealer never offered the customization - me be thinking Im gonna call him (after I think up something clever to program in)

Henry (Panama?) from there originally - or there now? if ure there now - the ice may not last long enough to work LOL . there is a product that will really help (and leaves a citrus smell behind for a little while) it is called Goo-Gone. It DOES work on that kind of problem, and can be found at any hardware, appliance (removes sticker from old appliances for re-sale) or building supply centre. once you get the bulk out - this will handle the balance. it does NOT affect carpeting adversly.

Tim Hortons in New England ! In the fall - leaves turning and Tim's - now it's really worth the drive. However - Im waiting for Krispy-Kreme to hit Ontario - I wish they would hurry up.
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Member Posts: 419
    My comments concerning Bonnevilles being butt ugly if they weren't equipped with a spoiler only applied to the previous generation. The 92-99s had a sloping rear end that looked like GM ran out of enough sheetmetal to finish the job right. The current version has a more or less horizontal trunk lid and so looks fine either way. There, did I cover my tracks sufficiently?
    Saw a maple red SLE this weekend on the way to Iowa. I must say that it is a handsome color in keeping with the overall image of the car.
    On the interstate, I certainly couldn't tell any performance difference with the Saner stabilizer bar but then, I didn't expect to on flat, straight roads. Only on the twisties can you feel a difference. For as flat and boring as the drive was, I might as well have had a 4 cylinder, much less the supercharger. I'm not sure the boost gauage ever went into the positive zone but I suppose it was there if I had needed it.
  • vtech83vtech83 Member Posts: 66
    I'll check out my manual tonight and let you know where I found the information. I'm sure there are some similarities in the manuals since they are both G-body or H-platform or K-chassis or Z-tires or A-transmission or whatever. And the General wonders why the car purchasing public is so confused!

Mike
  • bdreggorsbdreggors Member Posts: 143
    Ken,
    Yeah, I've noticed the rolling, too. I always use my parking brake (don't ask me why...I've lived in Florida for most of my life!) and notice it when I release the brake after starting the car.

Mike,
    I've got most of the GM codes down. I don't even know where to begin with Ford and DC. Of course, if we had a Honda we could say "It's on the Accord body" and would be pretty safe in saying so!
  • snicklesnickle Member Posts: 147
    Any one interested in see what Intense is up to on his SSEi, take a look at this link:

http://www.clubgp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6358277&FORUM_ID=19&CAT_ID=1

• ezraponezrapon Member Posts: 348
    Wow! Scott is running with a fast group overthere.
    Pulled his engine down and found bad guides? I will be watching his progress as he gets his monster back together. Many of those GTP boys are claiming 13 second 1/4 mile and (if I'm reading this correctly) 0-60 times in the 2 second range??
    These are modified Viper times! If these guys are for real and these times are accurate (seeing would be believing), you can call me GTP Roger from now on; I'm heading to the used car lot!!!
  • zzahhzzahh Member Posts: 47
    Uhhhh let's get real here. Perhaps these guys can burn off a 1/4 mile of tire tread in 2 seconds, or do the 0-60 in under 14 seconds, but let's keep the numbers from being transposed. Can we all spell FRONT WHEEL DRIVE? At some point, the basic laws of physics kick in and reality has to be accepted.

Up until some of the more recent power cars, pre 1980 Detroit never produced a 12 second car, stock. With a few minor mods, slicks, open exaust, etc they could just broke into the 12's. This includes hemi's, cobrajets, superduty's, ram airs, stage IV's, boss's, z's, goats, cuda's, you name it. That should give some indication of what 13 seconds truly is. And how important traction is. All the horsepower in the world is no good if you can't hook it up. I cannot believe that these guys pushing even 300+ horsepower, can run these types of times. Maybe, but I find it very suspect.

Would I love to have one of these tire incinerating beastly bad boys to drive around? Well....... can we all spell childish, adolescent, imature, lets just be young and have an absolute blast? Count me in!! :-)

ZZAHH
    It's been ages since we've heard from some of the posters who were speaking up back in the mid winter time frame.

Are you guys dug out yet? Come on out and enjoy the Bonnie sunshine!!

There are at least 30 Bonneville owners who are certainly still driving their beautiful cars whenever possible - but haven't filled us in on what's going on.

We Want to Hear From You!!!

Come on Cuzinbrucey, Jashou, h101, refiner, boosted1, Wayniac, pturner1, MArtyB4, Jakec1, scottnsc1, loud_pontiac to name a few - there are more.

What's up guys?

Ken
    greetings all.

I had a blast at St. Thomas Not drag strip last Sunday. I was there with 3 GT owners and their barely modified cars.
    I was in a "borrowed vette" from a friend that weekend, so I was on the track racing these guys.
    First, they all had I&N 9" cones -. After that, the two guys who ran sub 14 , one had a -bend alteration, 3.5 pulley (I think) and striped every piece or weight outta that puppy - RSA tires - nothing special. The other had new Yokohama hi-perf tires, the cone and a 3.4 pulley.

Im looking at the time slip, from when he ran with me at the end of the day -
    reaction .810
    60ft 2.03
    330ft 5.806
    1/4 13.976
    96.08 mph

The other guy, no exhaust alterations, only tires , pulley and cone filter ran 13.86 or possibly better - i dont have his slip with me)

It can be done.

In a couple of weeks - Im gonna take the ssei with them and get a stock time, and then start with mods - slowly. I dont want to cut into my golfing money too much.
  • snicklesnickle Member Posts: 147
    I should be at the track in a week or two. Traction is definately the limiting factor. Especially since all the power goes to a single wheel. A limited slip option would really help.

As for times, I monitor a couple of the Grand Prix groups and mid 13s is quite possible. A few have gone sub 13, just. Now our cars a a couple hundred pounds heavier and don't shift the same.

The thrasher shift kit helps, but a modified PCM would make a big difference.

2000 Black SSEi
    3.25 Pulley
    Casper AFPR
    Flowmaster Mufflers
    9" Cone filter (Sometimes)
    Saner Rear Sway Bar
  • boosted1boosted1 Member Posts: 90
    I have to admit that I tend to lurk around in the background.

Let me share a little with my Bonneville friends.

I am taking the Bonneville in for its first visit to the dealer on Thursday. (almost 800 miles on it)

1. The A/C is not running with a full charge. The service manager said it probably got an insufficient charge at the factory.

2. I noticed that the plastic body panel on the drivers side rear door is coming off on the front top corner.

Nothing major, and hopefully that will be it as far as problems go. (knock on wood)

Please keep writing about mods to these cars. As soon as the warranty is up I will be "tweaking" this vehicle.

I am starting to see more Bonnies on the road these days. Its too difficult to tell the SLE from the SSEi, they are always flashing by so quickly.

Happy motoring
  • ezraponezrapon Member Posts: 348
    I feel my SSEi is a little tight with 4 people, I imagine the GTP is even tighter. I'll live with the weight penalty. I wonder if the GTPs rattle as much?
  • zzahhzzahh Member Posts: 47
    We must have lost some posts. When I saved this site to favorites a week or so ago, it shows 1430 posts. When I just posted a day ago I am # 1418. Something is amiss. We must have been dissed by the 300 club. They are jealous.

Brett
  • mintdogmintdog Member Posts: 3
    Galaxy Silver - SSEi - Loaded! WOW! We acquired it in February and my wife makes excuses to go to the store! Except for the posted complaints (I haven't found the glove slot yet!) we think this is our best car, yet. My 1st was a '41 chevy, so we are in our mid 60's but have always liked power! From 4-bangers to the Rocket '98 we have had (and wish we still had) a '55 Chevy, '66 Mustang, '50 Olds '98, 3- Impalas, etc. Answers to questions - my rear bumper reads "Bonneville" on the left and "Pontiac" on the right. After two tries my dealer programmed our first names into the DC. On our 1000 mile maiden voyage our only complaint is wind noise - a whistle in the rear near the rear window. Anyone else? Enjoy reading your posts! Mint dog.
    Welcome, Bob

It's great to hear that you are enjoying that SSEi. The Galaxy Silver is a gorgeous color on Bonneville and I've noticed a number of SLE and SSEi models like yours.

What color interior do you have and what options? I have a working spread sheet here that I like to keep up to date on the Bonnevilles listed here in this forum (you and anyone else is welcome to a copy). By the way - we have an owners club here as well that you may wish to add to your subscription list and perhaps you can post a pic for us there.

Congrats on that beautiful SSEi. May you enjoy many years and miles of driving pleasure.

Ken
  • loud_pontiacloud_pontiac Member Posts: 12
    I just installed a K&N filter for a little bit of extra hp. It didn't make a huge difference, but the engine is breathing a little better now. The part number for the filter is E-0940. That's actually a 3.8L Ford Mustang filter, but since it has a 3.5 inch inlet it can be adapted for the Bonneville. Actually, any filter with a 3.5 inch inlet can be used. You just remove the whole airbox, remove the metal clamp on the end of the rubber hose going to the throttle body, and the filter will just pop on the hose. Easy as cake.

My next mod will be a Superchip. They go for $200, and are supposed to add 17hp and 27ft/lbs torque. Premium fuel is required, but you can pull out the chip anytime you want to switch back. It should keep me ahead of those annoying ricers for the time being.
    Ken, thanks for the welcome! The leather interior only comes in Dark Pewter. After searching for a year (we really wanted a SLE, didn't need the sunroof or the S/C but couldn't find one equipt with what we wanted and the dealers wouldn't deal) so we waited until the 2001's came out then we couldn't afford a new one! Well, I spotted this one with less than 5,000 miles and at least $6,000 under retail. I figured that would pay for the 1st year of depreciation. Anyway, its loaded except for the bun warmers, and 12 disc player. My son has a rebuild mustang with a 351 Cleveland and before he drove mine he wanted to drag me, after putting the pedal to the metal on mine he quickly changed his mind! It's a awesome car and as I told the salesman they just might bury me in it! Mint dog
    At your suggestion, Ken, I looked over at what Scott was up to. He's clearly out of my league. I'm capable of the mechanical work but am not willing to so radically change the character of my car. A pulley change and the front sway bar (if I ever get it) will be the extent of my changes.
    Welcome to our world and congratulations on your new car! One point of correction, the leather is available in Dark Pewter or Taupe.
  • h101h101 Member Posts: 62
    I know photos are supposed to be posted "over there"... but I couldn't resist posting my first car... look familiar?

I'm the sixteen y/o at the wheel... the year was 1952... sigh

Bill
  • dmckeowndmckeown Member Posts: 107
    My buddy here at Xerox took his modified 99 GTP coup to the track two weeks ago and made two runs at 13.8X, very uniform. He runs a 3.4, RAT cat back, SLP CAI (which does NOT breath as well as the modified Thrasher I put in my 2000 SSEi) 180 term. and a few other small mod's but not the modified PCM. I drove his car on a cold day in Dec. and I let him drive mine. His was quicker out of the hole but after that my 3.25 and Thrasher cold air induction seemed to even things out (plus I was running 100 octane) I felt my car could do close to 14 sec the way it was.
    I will be meeting Scott (intense) soon to sell him my engine and transaxle, so after he has that unit look out, the L67 in that 2000 SSEi that Pontiac ran at the salt flats my have some horse power competition.
    See ya, Doug

)
    Thanks for the replies. The Dark Pewter was in it and I didn't have a choice and my wife likes it. The photo does bring back memories, after my '41 Chevy sedan (paid $800 for it in '48 and I had to earn every cent of it, myself) I had a '47 Chevy Convertible, maroon, new white top and those huge whitewalls! Aww - memories. Mintdog
    things are looking up again!

Loved that pic, Bill

Ken
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    That's great! So, um, is that a '52 Bonneville or what exactly? Very nice, I love the grill and the white sidewalls and the periodicity. (Is that a word?)

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    Has anyone out there had problems with the "auto" feature on the climate control? I had my car in to the dealer ship to have the A/C checked. They say it is fine, however my fan is always on high when I am in "auto" mode. It seems that the A/C just won't cool the car down enough so that the fan level will go down (its stays on max high fan all the time).I usually set it at 70 degrees F, and the outside air temp has been in the mid to high 80's when I noticed this problem.

I am taking it back next week so that they can look at it again. At on point the service writer suggested that maybe the A/C just couldn't keep up with the temp outside (87 degrees) and cool the inside of the car. (because its so big
    I am triing to pretend he didn't say that.

Has any one else experienced this with their Bonneville?

Thanks for listening

Rich
  • kzmkzm Member Posts: 55
    Rich,

Yes, I have had the same thing happen to me. I don't sweat it (Pun intended!) I just adjust the fan level when the temp is comfortable to me.
    I don't believe anything's wrong with the system.

KZM
  • bigred00bigred00 Member Posts: 13
    I'm with you boosted1. I NEVER had such an annoyance with the auto system on my '92 SSE. Overall, the rotten front seats (also as compared to the '92) are even more of an issue with me. My bad back used to really appreciate the excellent lumbar adjustment they provided. The '00 seats pale in comparison.
    One thing I have noticed about GM's auto A/C is that when it switches to vent, it does not temper the incoming air as does the unit for Fords. Normally, that isn't much of a big deal but if it is around 60 degrees outside and it switches to vent, things become uncomfortable very quickly with 60 degree air blowing on you. The Ford system knows to add some heat to the incoming air so that it isn't so uncomfortable. I acutually took my 96 SE back to have them look at it only to be told the standard line, "They all do that". I didn't believe them until I got the 2000 and it did the same thing. Howevever, I have not had the same issue with the system running on high with the relatively moderate outside temperatures of mid 80s. I tend to run mine in the recirculation mode which at higher outside temperatures reduces the load on the system, allowing the fan to run at lower speeds.
    Ive not been entirely satisfied with the air system either. Im not a technical genius, but i did read the manual, do the driver presets etc, but that damned fan control seems to have a mind of it's own.
    Also, is it just me or when you have the upper level vents only on, they are noisier than having your windows open?
    My 2000 SSEi is the same way. Here in Florida, most cars' A/C systems are constantly fighting the greenhouse effect on the cabin, so the fan runs at full-blast most of the time. The new Bonnevilles have a sun load sensor on the dash that the system uses to compensate for the greenhouse effect. I've noticed when driving under a dark cloud that the system will back off a bit until I hit the sun again. I think it is also tied into the vehicle's speed, because if I'm cruising on the highway for a few minutes the fan backs off as the cabin cools but when I stop it cranks back up again. I assume this is because the system is trying to compensate for the lack of naturally forced air. Just a guess, the Helm manual describes the whole thing (purge cycles and all).
  • intense01intense01 Member Posts: 107
    so I thought I'd check in with the more tame crowd...

Here are my thoughts on the last fifty or so posts.

My engine ran great for 43,000 really HARD miles. Then I installed aftermarket (ported, polished, oversized valves) cylinder heads. Since that day, I started burning oil like crazy, and smoking blue. I finally had enough and tore the engine down again. Turns out that I installed JUNK heads. I'm sorting through that issue right now...

There are many legitimate GTPs running well into the thirteens, in full street trim, without nitrous oxide. Three weeks ago Jack Neal of Massachusetts made the first 12-second pass in the country under these conditions. He has now made five runs in the twelves with the best one being 12.871 @ 104.79mph. To date, he's the only one to do it with an L67 powered car, on street legal tires, without nitrous oxide. You should see his car in G.M. High-Tech Performance magazine soon...

The two second range times you read about are 60 foot times - not 0 to 60 mph times. 60 foot times are a good indicator of how good your launch was, which is paramount in drag racing. The fastest GTPs are at 1.77 to 1.81 seconds, which is on par with a mildly modified LS1 with drag radial tires. GTPs are definitely making waves out there.

I say quit bitching about the door panel rattles. Install some headers and a custom 3" exhaust, and your rattles will disappear instantly...

Scott
    2000 SSEi
    Many, many mods, and many more to come
    This is my 3rd car with this feature and none of them have ever worked to my satisfaction. I think that one of the problems is that I really don't want the interior temperature to be the same all year long. In the extreme seasons (winter and summer), I tend to use recirculated air to get quick heat-up or cool-down and then I establish the interior temperature appropriate for the season and what I'm wearing. When I do that, I don't have problems with the fan racing hard for very long.

Today it was high 70's and I set the temp at about 73°F. After a few minutes on recirc, everything worked quite quietly and effectively after that.

I'll let you know what happens once the 90°F weather comes.

Dan
    Thanks for all the input.

I guess maybe I am going to have to get used to this car. The "auto" feature on my volvo works really well, I guess I have been spoiled.

Thanks again.

Rich (boosted1)
    I'm glad not to have it. Several Caddies prevously had the feature and I hated it - always trying to outsmart the foolish sytem. I do however, wish I had the dual climate controls. Impala LS has the manual dual controls and that is the system I wish I had in this car.

Planning to be back in the PA area again next week - driving down on Sunday afternoon and back on Wed during the day. I'll be thinking of Rockaway for sure!

Ken
  • rb8225rb8225 Member Posts: 33
    My wife and I took a drive over to Windsor today in the SSEi. Went shopping for drugs and to the Casino. (Not what you think; you can buy Claritin over the counter there). Anyway, I found out our Canadian friends are keeping a big secret - My 0-60 times were a LOT better over there! Must be the air or something ;-)
    Not very well understood but it's true that our 0-60 times are as much as 40% better than Stateside ones. There are a number of theories to explain this: (1) our air is cleaner and colder - thus condensing more Oxygen into the combustion mixture; (2) our closer proximity to the most powerful spectrum of the North Pole's magnetic influence actually reduces friction in our engine components; (3) 60 km/h = 35 mp/h.

Take your pick. I'm flummoxed myself.

Dan
    Ken, I'm getting ready to leave for Maine next week and just wondered if you had decided if you wanted the stabilizer bar? If you definitely don't want it, I'll leave it here but if you're still not sure, I can bring it while you decide.
    The Bonneville looks nice with its first wax job but I have decided to go the Zaino route this fall. I just need to remember to bookmark their site so that it is there when I need it.
    Can you post any pictures of your extremely modified Bonnie?
    I agree that the auto climate control keeps the fan on ultra high for a long period of time; but it settles down after a while and I like it. However, I did like the systems in my previous Bonnevilles better.
    I wonder if the issue is the placement and/or sensitivity of the system's thermostat. Anyway, as I said earlier, I find that with a little playing with the temperature and recirc switch, I can manage the fan speed.

What I didn't like about climate control in my previous cars is that I'd often get the air conditioner coming on in the parking garage - when 2 minutes later I'd be outside in 0° weather and waiting for the heat to come on. After a full winter, I never experienced that with the Bonneville.

Dan
This discussion has been closed.