Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• homer2000sseihomer2000ssei Member Posts: 159
    Mine have seen two winters and are in excellent - -not showroom shape.

regluar cleaning, the occasional use of metal polish and protectant wax and thats the part of my car that i let my daughter do when i zaino it.
    the water just runs off and then its a light cloth cleaning to sparkle them
  • boosted1boosted1 Member Posts: 90
    Some early 2001's (like mine) have the older center caps with the carbon fiber look. When we were travelling around the local dealerships, checking out colors for 2001's, some would have all chrome centers and some would have the others.

I am eager to see what changes they have for 2002.

Maybe a new cup holder?
    how about one that actually holds 2 containers of fluid.
    i miss my last bonne - SE, with 60/40 split front seat and fold down armrest - two popout holders could manage almost anything - as long as it wasnt very heavy

why , oh why wont they build one that can handle two big gulps with ease ?
    Ill post this here, instead of the mods section. . .

does anyone have an online store they can point me to for buying modification components for our cars. Ive been to the www.grandprixstore.com site , and its pretty good - but im more comfortable knowing the parts are intended for my car, and not guessing they should fit.

im looking for a pulley, gatorback belt and new lower t-stat to start.

ive got a tentative appointment with a guy who services the GP's in Toronto area for the install in 2 weeks.

thanks
  • theicemantheiceman Member Posts: 736
    The other day, I had the a/c on and my wife was complaining about the cold. "Adjust your temperature then, dear". She did. I had mine set at 21°C (about 70°F) and she notched hers up to 26°C (about 80°F). Pretty soon, she was complaining about the "hot" air. It was 30°C outside. I verified that, in fact, both the heater and the a/c were on simultaneously and blowing accordingly treated air into the cabin. Neat - well, sort of.... I changed the settings right away and her air returned to a saner temperature.

I share this with you because I had heard complaints about GM's dual zones only allowing a 5°F difference between driver and passenger and that the a/c and heater could not come on simultaneously. I suspect that might be the case with the lesser systems - like those in the Century, Regal, Grand Prix, etc. - but it certainly is not the case with our Bonnie's.
  • fantascpfantascp Member Posts: 175
    Hey Ken,
    if you get a chance, if you didn't already read it, check out Carpoint- consumer reviews 2000 bonneville- "REBUTTAL TO GENIUS BELOW'
    some CLOWN wrote about too much "Plastic Etc, Lousy gas mileage etc- sorry he/she got the car etc just before "REBUTTAL"
    EXCELLENT REBUTTAL BY " BONNEVILLE ED- LARGO FL.
    Is he a signed CLUB MEMBER?- he should be!!!

I personally believe that the "Plasticville Man/Women?doesn't own this car at all! Claims he/she own the car 2 years!- how can that be if the car wasn't available until around Aug/Sept-1999!!!!
    Also- my son has a Honda Accord- 4 cl- engine and is getting around 32 mpg- i'm getting around 25& 1/2 mpg highway-V6!!! where is that such a big difference that it can be argued that the Bonneville is lousy on gas?

Enjoy your Summer,

Chuck
  • scottnscscottnsc Member Posts: 4
    I have been using my Onstar personal calling in my Bonne, and I think it is one of the coolest features. I love to show it off to other 'gadget enthusiest' like me. (My wife says 'gadget geek', but what does she know?!?)

Anyway, sometimes when I use the system it makes a LOUD electronic screeching sound. Has anyone else experienced this problem? The folks at Onstar say let the dealer replace the system, but I've heard that involves really tearing the car apart. I don't want to do that as I can't stand the thought of my 'baby' being torn apart.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas/suggustions.
  • skyhawk3skyhawk3 Member Posts: 42
    I occasionally get that screeching sound but the other end does not. Ocaasionally the person I'm calling gets the sound and I do not.
    My main gripe is that they assigned an area code from a another state than where I live and bought the car! Seven weeks ago, I was told that it would be corrected in three weeks. Still waiting.If I want to call my wife while she is in the car, I have to pay a toll charge.
    The e-mail part of virtual advisor is neat but eats up your units.
    I saw that review just the other day - I, like you, cannot believe the writer owns one. Anybody who buys a car and as passionately hates its use of plastic has only himself to blame. I suspect this is another hater of Pontiac cladding who wanted to express him/herself. On the other hand, maybe he does own it - in which case, his car is equipped with one more dipstick than yours or mine.
  • murrajm5murrajm5 Member Posts: 1
    Where are some places besides Advance, NAPA, etc. that I can find some decent rotors. I am not really sure if I want to go slotted and/or drilled but want
    something of quality that has some kind of warranty against warping. I found that I can get some cheap ones from the above places with a two year
    warranty but I like the idea of buying something I can feel confident about. However, I do not really want to spend too much for them. Anyone have any
    experience purchasing some online and do those sites have prices?
  • rb8225rb8225 Member Posts: 33
    This may sound like a silly question, but is there anything that can be done to improve the appearance of the surfaces of the brake rotors? Last Saurday I took a couple of hours in the driveway washing the car, cleaning the chrome rims, etc. When I'm done the car is beautiful until you see the rusty rotor surfaces showing through the spokes of the shiny chrome rims. I know this is being fussy, but... Anything to be done?
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    Hard braking to clean off the rust?
    Seriously, this is the real reason a lot of people "upgrade" to better brakes. They get a cool new set of aftermarket wheels, and suddenly realizr the rotors or caliper are ugly.
    Yup - the idea being that after you wash it - you're gonna drive it !
    One or two stops - - and they are shiny too.

as for getting replacements - -i saw some nice looking (and in theory working) rotors at www.grandprixstore.com

from there, you get an idea of price - -im not sure ours are the exact same as a new GTP, but at least you can do a search on the brand once you get the name. i did one for a good set of pads that were there - and am just waiting on my price and part number.
    I like your terminology- definetely that guy is the EXTRA DIPSTICK!!!!, and One Frenchfry short of a Happy Meal at McDonald's.

Chuck
  • scottnscscottnsc Member Posts: 4
    Onstar also assigned me a telephone number that was not local and I told them if they couldn't change it then forget it. When I was trying to explain that about half the state of South Carolina uses the 803 area code and that I needed a number based on my zip code they acted like I was speaking Greek. However, I suggested some local exchanges to them and they were able to make the change in about 2 days. Call your local Verizon wireless office and get a few local exchanges that they use when assigning new cell-phone numbers (Onstar uses the Verizon network).

Good Luck!
    Scott
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    I'll have to go check out the Carpoint article sometime - not at my home now so don't have PC time at home and am pretty busy here at work so may not get to this for a while. Sounds like a guy who likes to hear himself talk and spark reactions of any kind.

MPG - Chuck - you only get 25.5 highway? I'm getting 29.5 - 32 doing 75 mph hiway. Tell that to Mr. Gasser!

Finally moved to camp this week - have to bring the boat up next trip after I get a new mooring in the water today or tomorrow. Lots of yard work and a screen to replace - hoping for good weather to enjoy the place next week.

Take care, everyone.

Ken
  • ginman3ginman3 Member Posts: 11
    When we went in to order our SSEi, I was initially put off by the chrome wheels. At the time, they just seemed too gaudy, not befitting someone who has done nothing recently to bring down the average age of Bonneville owners. However, with my 96 Bonneville with the cast aluminum wheels, I was very, very disappointed when I had new tires installed and saw what the wheels looked like.
    Living in northern Illinois, road salt is certainly not unusual(nor is it in Detroit). The wheels held up fine because of the coating but underneath the balancing weights, they were corroded and discolored and since the new weights are almost never in the same place as the old ones, they looked pretty bad. To this day, I'm not sure why at the factory they can't put the weights on the inside, particularly on the aluminum wheels.
    Anyway, that's a long winded version of how I came to feel like I was backed into forking out over $500 for the chrome wheels. That said, they have grown on me and they are so much easier to keep clean than the lace version. Also, I think they complement my gray hair nicely, thank you very much.
    Going home for a week or so next week, having been gone for about 6 weeks here in Maine. It will be nice to take the cover off the Bonneville and put a few miles on it. By the way, don't believe Ken when he talked about his kids pestering him. I met them and they were some of the nicest kids that you would want to meet.
    Mark (or is that mfahey or ginman3? I can't keep it straight): I suppose that one reason for not putting the weights inside is that many claim that the balance can only be achieved once the tire is mounted on the rim. I agree with you about the pitting though - and have learned to spray a little silicone around the wheel weights during the winter. Keeping the wheels waxed is another good idea. As long as the coating isn't compromised on the wheel, though, they usually withstand corrosion quite wheel. On that subject, is anybody aware of a touch-up paint for that "aluminum-look" finish on GM alloys?

Glad to hear that Ken's kids are a fine bunch - although it's hard to imagine anything different from kids raised by somebody who's thoughtful enough to care for his brood in safe vehicles like Suburbans and Bonnevilles.
  • zzahhzzahh Member Posts: 47
    I agree with the idea of putting the weights on the inside of the rim, in many cases this can be accomplished simply by insisting that that is how you want it done. It can take a bit more effort on the part of the individual who is doing the work, and I have found often it is a matter of lazyness and not an issue of space. In some cases, depending upon the amount of weight needed, you might find weights on the inner and outer bead area. I do know that there are weights that are sticky backeed and the are layed on the inner surface or in some cases the outer (or easily viewed surface).. ihave not seen these often, however, they certainly eliminate the corrosion problem. I believe any quality orientated wheel and tire shop should have these options available.
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    Dan - I take it you mean aluminum silver paint, and yes, I bought a (spray) can from JCWhitney for my old Camaro. There are colors that match various years and type of GM wheels. I'm not sure about touch-up applicators, though.
  • wesley1derwesley1der Member Posts: 49
    Has any one seen any good looking aftermarket wheels that look good on the SSEI? I had a 97 SSEI and the five spook wheels looked better than the chromes on the 01.
  • intense01intense01 Member Posts: 107
    I have GOT to see a picture of these wheels!

Scott

2000 SSEi
    Stock: 15.800 @ 89.60 mph
    4/14/01: 14.555 @ 94.75 mph
    6/30/01: 14.101 @ 98.04 mph
    i am hurt ! personally - i feel the new swirl spoke rims are actually the best looking factory rims on the market! of course, they may not look as nice on the pre 2000 models -
    i havent run across anything else, but since i am hunting down parts places to modify me SSEi - if i find a good link - ill post it here
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Mark, Dan - I appreciate the kind words on the parenting aspect of life. We do have great kids and have to remind ourselves of that occasionally!

We've been back and forth to camp and home with company and trying to get the boat ready - (hole in water in which to pour money!) My frustration with not being able to keep up with all the various demands for attention has resulted in a 4th of July weekend at camp with no boat - how frustrating is THAT!!!

Couldn't get it started - hauled it over to the marine repair shop and it's got to have a carb rebuild - sure wish I had known that 3 or 4 weeks ago! Oh well - seems like I've been behind the 8 ball for months now.

Dan - just had company from Canada (eh?) My late mother's best friend and another lady came from Halifax to visit for the weekend - had a nice time and enjoyed showing them around. The friend has a 2000 Neon - says she paid $22K Canadian for it - seems AWFULLY high - can get a 2001 around here for $11K now according to the car ads in the paper. Doesn't $22K sound out of line to you?

Take care all and enjoy a SAFE holiday tomorrow.

Ken
  • eric311eric311 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 98 Bonneville with 20000 miles on it. Yesterday I noticed that a small line of paint has peeled off from the hood. I also noticed a small area around it had small bubbles. Today after driving for about 10 miles I noticed that all paint has peeled off from the area that was bubbly yesterday (the size of about 2 quarters). Sounds to me like defective paint. I do not know what else could have caused this. I never used any chemicals on the car and I live in New York city so I do not think this is weather related.
    The paint has also come off my 88 Bonneville leaving white marks all over the car and especially on the roof. But this car has 120,000 on it so I cannot complain.
    I am wondering what might have caused this on my 98 car. Also what do you think would be the best way to fix this considering that I still have the original 3 year warranty (repaint the hood, replace the hood, repaint the whole car).
    Thank you.
  • wesley1derwesley1der Member Posts: 49
    Where is eveybody??????? You all sleeping.
    Everyone is out enjoying their Bonnevilles.
  • swblumeswblume Member Posts: 4
    Just a quick question... Is a (supposedly) stock 94 Bonneville SSEi supposed to be able to outrun a 94 Formula or Trans Am? I was out playing last night, and came upon a 94/95 T/A. The driver of the T/A and I exchanged looks, then both hit the gas at the same time... and for some reason, I ended up accelerating away from him. I know he was at full throttle because I heard his engine spin up, and I heard his automatic transmission downshift twice (before it upshifted as we passed about 95...). My best friend also has a 94 Formula, and he can't seem to keep up with me, either... After checking and rechecking the numbers several times, they still don't add up. Anyone got any ideas?
  • loud_pontiacloud_pontiac Member Posts: 12
    Stock vs. stock a Bonnie should not be able to take out a LT1 F-Body. The LT1 has a huge torque advantage over you and should be pulling away at higher speeds. Maybe he needs a tuneup, or his throttle cable is loose...

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone have experience chipping their Bonnies? I want to put a Superchip in my 1992 SE. With the new H-rated tires I've got the 108mph governor is meaningless. More HP and higher shift points couldn't hurt either. Anybody chip their car?
  • bigred00bigred00 Member Posts: 13
    I was at the local dealer's today to have a faulty radio replaced in my '00i, and saw a brand new SLE parked out back without a sticker. Looks like THEY IMPROVED THE CUPHOLDERS!!!!!!! They are no longer covered or side by side. Rather, they are now one in front of the other, with the rear one slightly offset towards the passenger seat. To accomodate this configuration, they moved the traction control switch to a small panel just below the HVAC controls and did away with the small, very near useless, bin that one held residency there. Don't ask me where they put the seat heaters, unless this model didn't have them, and they will flank the traction control switch on those that do. OTHER CHANGES: The 17" wheels were of a five-spoke design that, at the expense of looking a tad cheap, certainly looked a lot easier to clean than the lace ones. ONE MORE: The exhaust tips are now ovals rather than trapezoids.
  • intense01intense01 Member Posts: 107
    Getting my Bonneville into the thirteens has been quite a challenge for me. But I finally did it!

My best run today looked like this:
    60' = 2.113
    330' = 5.880
    1/8 mile: 9.004 @ 78.78
    1/4 mile: 13.985 @ 99.30

Scott
    2000 SSEi
    Stock: 15.800 @ 89.60 mph
    4/14/01: 14.555 @ 94.75 mph
    7/07/01: 13.985 @ 99.30 mph
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Member Posts: 419
    Flew home to the Chicago area last night and first thing this morning, pulled off the cover and took the Bonneville for a ride. The seating position seemed very strange after driving our old minivan in Maine for 2 months and over 3500 miles. You sit much more upright in the van and I just felt like I was sitting in a hole. Plus, the difference of going from a vehicle that has 188,000 miles on it to one that has just under 10,000 was pretty substantial. Complements of the Maine roads, I now have a new left front axle on the van although I suppose the number of miles on it might have had something to do with it.
    For the first time ever, it hesitated a bit on light acceleration, almost like it was saying that after two months of just sitting, you want me to go? It cleared up fairly quickly but seemed strange nevertheless.
    Scott, congratulations are in order since you are in pretty rare territory in the 13s. How much wheel spin did you get during your run?
    Sorry about my silence - I haven't been sleeping, just travelling. We just came back from our first highway trip with the Bonneville and am pleased to say that the Bonnie ran magnificently. Our family (2 adults, 2 small kids) spent a week at a lakeside resort in Ontario (golf, waterskiing, boating, etc.). We received a lot of compliments on the car and saw a total of 7 new-style Bonnies (all SLE's or SSEi's) on the round trip.

mileage: I was expecting 30 mpg (US gallon) figures but only yielded 27.3. I was travelling cottage country roads and there was a lot of passing and very little in terms of consistent speeds. When I had it on the 401 (Ontario's major highway), I was getting 30.5 mpg for about 100 miles of the total 400+ mile trip.

trunk capacity: Having stepped "down" from a minivan, I was sorry that I wasn't going to be able to pack away all of our gear - esp. my golf bag. Once we had the trunk packed (luggage, cooler, groceries, swimming gear, etc.), there was still tons of room left. My golf bag and more fit right in! Find a Bimmer that'll do that...

passing power: excellent

cruise control: held the car at a steady speed regardless of incline.

handling: We got to try the Bonny out on some windy, hilly roads with 50 mph limits. The Bonny did superbly - stuck to the road, no lean to speak of, no bottoming out. Just smooth smooth smooth!

HVAC: perfect.

Squeaks/rattles: limited to the door panels but bothersome nonetheless. I will have this checked out at my next oil change.

Keyless remote: one night on the way back to our cottage, as a joke, I tried to unlock the car from about 200' away - and it worked!. I tried it the next day and it didn't work until I was about 75' away. Either way, it's pretty impressive. After a couple of tries, I figured out that it works best when you aim the key fob towards the front of the vehicle. Have any of you had similar experiences.

Overall: Fix the squeaks and the cupholders and you're darned close to perfection. Oh yeah, and a bigger glove box.

On other notes:

Scott: Congrats on the sub-14 run! You're doing us all proud.

Ken: $22k Can. for a Neon isn't out of order. In Canada, PDI/admin/etc. sometimes tops $1000 and our sales taxes (in Ontario) are 15%. Fortunately, no Province has a wealth tax on your car - yet. Also, don't forget that our dollar is worth about 65 US cents so that $22k is more like $14k US. Still, I agree it's pretty high - I guess it's all what you're looking for.
    If it is true that they have redesigned the cupholders I will be ordering the replacement components to try and retrofit my 2001.

If we can just replace the plastic panels it may be worth the $$.

Intense01-Keep up the good work. If you make some runs this fall/winter with nice cool air you could probably shave a few more seconds off. I am sure that you have the fastest Bonneville on the streets!!!!
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    you may want to try pressing the Keyless Remote to your chin as you are pressing the lock or unlock buttons. The chin increases the range tremendously. I am not kidding.

Also I have noticed that when my car is parked under high voltage electrical lines, the remote range is really bad. But my car is not a Bonneville, so it might not apply to you.

Try the chin method though.
    is probably related to height which may allow the signal to better clear obstacles - like other cars parked close to yours. Just guessing here.

I think the reason I had such success last week is because (a) there were no overhead electrical wires; and (b) our car was parked atop a 40' hill and I had a clear view. Still, I was surprised at the distance from which it worked.

On the other hand, maybe the chin method benefits from the conductive nature of any amalgam fillings you have. As I have none, this option is (sigh) not available to me. >:)
    Boy - remember the good old days of 40-50 posts per day? Bonneville owners clearly are busy people come summer time (me too actually).

I'm bringing my Bonnie into the dealership next week to have those squeaky door panels looked at. They've told me that they'd check it out and install news ones if need be. We'll see what they say once the car's actually in.

Everything else is jake with the car these days - still love it. I'll be changing the oil next week (to Mobil 1) now that I've hit 15k kms. (or about 9k miles). It'll be interesting to see if using synthetic oil changes the life span as reported by the dash oil-life monitor.

Anybody else using Mobil 1? Another synthetic oil? My old mechanic swore by Mobil 1 - according to him, cheapest engine insurance you could buy.

Cheers to all! Dan
  • h101h101 Member Posts: 62
    Hi there,

I've been using Mobil 1 since the first change. I didn't see any difference in performance (mileage or acceleration) or on oil life (on the oil monitor, I think it measures temp, engine revs... not the actual condition of the oil).

I agree it is cheap insurance if ya keep your car for a long time (which I do). I change when the indicator hits 50%.
    Hey! there's life here - I guess I'll cancel my request to have the Hubble telescope turned towards this forum.

Bill: thanks for your views. I've used Mobile 1 before and, as you say, there's no outwardly discernable difference between using it and regular oil. The reason why I was wondering about the oil life monitor is that synthetic is supposed to reduce friction - especially on cold starts - and that, in turn should slightly reduce average operating temperature. I was wondering if this would be measurable enough to make a difference in the oil life monitor read-out. Since you switched at the first oil change, I guess you don't really have a good basis for comparison. As I'm already at 9k, it'll be interesting to see if I note a measurable difference.
    Hi everyone- I'm back again after a couple of weeks hiatus!
    KEN:Just purchased a new digital camera- once we figure everything out i'll try to post some new pictures of "SNOW WHITE"- i know they have ZAINO and NON-Zaino forums- but just my own two cents worth- i put 2 coats of NU-FINISH on the car about 2 months ago - and she still has a great shine and finish- for $5.00 -I can't complain- very impressed.
    DAN: thanks for the advice with the AC- much cooler with re-circ on and then re-adjust.
    KEVIN: Where are you man????- any NEW pictures ???

General info- Sent a message the other day via E mail to Pontiac- re: put the NORTH-STAR ENGINE in the next generation BONNEVILLE!!!- got typical response- forwarding on to their engineers ETC,ETC,ETC for future consideration, evaluation whatever!

Regards to all,

Chuck
  • john325john325 Member Posts: 237
    Hello everyone; I'm new to this forum. tpken introduced it to me about a month ago, but up until now, I haven't been over. - I met tpken over on the Rendezvous forum - I bot a cxl RDV about a month ago. It's great for the wife and kids (Daughter 10, Son 7), and me too.

I have a 99 SE which I am very happy with. It has the extra pick-up that the RDV does not. Each car serves our purposes well. btw, I live just about 10 minutes south of San Francisco.

Now a question for Chuck, which may be a bit basic, but here goes: I've heard Zaino mentioned once or twice in the last couple of days & I heard you say you're happy w/ nu-finish. What's the difference in these products? It appears that they're both wax/polish treatments. Any info on these would be appreciated. I should put something on the RDV as well as the Bonneville. Thanks for your help.

Iceman: this place is getting busy.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    I've been seduced by Bonneville since its last body style. The current one is just stunning!

So I've started shopping for one a couple of months ago. I've tried the DE, the DE with the performance axle ratio and today the SEE. I haven't found an SSEi to try yet.

The performance axle is a must on the E. It's much more spirited, perhaps because the transmission is also tuned differently. However, I thought it rode a bit "boatly". The SEE rode much better and has almost all the accessories that are options in the DE standard.

I found that it's a pretty roomy and comfortable car, with some nice amenities. I thought that the front seats provide little thigh support and the aspirate engine, though competent, not brilliant.

Have I missed any positive or negative point worth mentioning?

I think that the SLE is a good value, or is the SSEi, with the supercharger, worth the price upgrade?

TIA
    Hi John,
    As far as i know the big difference between ZAINO/Nu-finish or any other store bought waxes is price.
    I'm not an expert or claim to be one with regards to waxing one's car- if you need more info on this -go to the Maintenance and Repair forum on this site and then there are two sub-forums on this subject- ZAINO POSTS and STORE BOUGHT WAXES-NO ZAINO!- tons of info for you to decide either way- I went with NU-FINISH because i heard it lasts long and
    is in-expensive compared to Zaino-
    i'm sure others will swear by Zaino or other waxes polishes etc.- Whatever makes you happy!-
    remember-its YOUR CAR, YOUR MONEY!!!!!
    I'm happy with the results so far using NU_FINISH
    and that's all that really matters to me right now. Best of luck with your 99 and HAPPY WAXING, whatever product/products you decide to use!!!

Chuck
    I didn't think to check the Repair & Maintenance section on this owners forum. I'll go there & soak up some info on all this. After reading about 50 posts or so, I'm sure I'll be able to come to a decision. Thanks again.
    There is a difference between these products but there's also a difference between their prices and the amount of time you spend applying the products to your vehicles. I like Zaino but don't have many rain-free weekend afternoons to kill so 2 or 3 Zaino applications a year is all I can muster. Peronally, I think these "premium" finishes - and Zaino's a good example - do better jobs at achieving the "wet" look. Plus, they take repeated layers and keep looking better.

Wait until Dennis (aka homer) gets in on this discussion - I think he'll chip on on the Zaino side.

BTW, I've driven a couple of RDV's and am seeing more on the road. Congrats - I think this is a fine vehicle. I am a little puzzled as to why they didn't try to put a larger engine in there though. I've heard that it had something to do with the transmission and the Versatrak requirements.

Dan
    I don't mind putting a polish on the car, but I don't want to spend hours doing it. Perhaps one hour... here's a site that someone on the RDV forum was good enough to share w/me. He recommended the Klasse All-In-One...

http://www.properautocare.com/

There's a kit mentioned there that includes 2 applications. I had been considering getting it, but then this Zaino came up which, as I mentioned before, I knew nothing about. I'll check out the maintenance section that Chuck recommended and then come to a decision.

Re: the RDV engine selection. I've heard that it had to do w/ economics. The 3.4 engine was already produced and somewhat proven. The bigger engine, (I'm not sure if that's the 3.8 like I have in my 99 SE or some other engine) I've heard won't fit under the hood w/ it's current size/configuration. So to create a "new" engine would result in extraordinary costs for GM. That's what I remember reading anyway.

All-in-all the power in the RDV is fine. I suppose if someone was doing some towing through the mountains, It might leave much to be desired. As for us, we got the tow package, mainly to take advadvantage of the larger radiator, alternator, etc... plus to be able to throw a bike rack on the back for 4 bikes when needed. I don't plan on towing anything. It'll be interesting to see what GM does w/ next years RDV.

Thanks for your info. Dan.

I had heard the same things about the engine choice at the time the Aztek came out. As it was based on the Montana platform, it was designed to take the 3.4L engine. But that puzzled me as well - why did GM design their minivan with the 3.4 when the 3.8 out-torqued it? You'd think that a minivan carrying a load of people and cargo could benefit from it. Besides, the competitors' vans have engines that are more competitive with the 3.8.

All in all, I agree with you that the 3.4 provides adequate power and is also a proven powerplant. I have heard, though, that Malibus with the 3.4 have suffered from piston slap - but have not heard these same complaints from other vehicles so equipped.

In short, I really like the RDV and see it as a step to a positive future for Buick. Enjoy your ride John....

Dan
  • itiaitia Member Posts: 4
    Picking up my first ever Pontiac tomorrow afternoon. I had been looking at LeSabre Limited, 300M, Altima, used Lincoln. Drove a SSEi last week - end of story!!!!! I think I'm in love (my husband is handling that news very well). Those of you with black may continue to call her "Black Beauty". I'm calling mine "Black Dahlia" (pewter interior). Everything but the heated seats and 12 disc changer. 2001 SSEi with 4600 miles. Works for me since it has to be under 5000 to be considered NEW at the bank.

BTW - RI here

Ciao for now
    Sounds like you got the deal of the century, 4600 miles is still a brand new car!!!

My wife was the one who originally got us looking at the Bonnevilles. It didn't take me long to agree with her. It is an awesome car.

Of course she is the one who gets to drive it primarily.

Enjoy.
    Congrats on your Bonneville - you won't be disappointed and, good or bad, you'll always have the floor to speak your mind here.

Welcome aboard, Dan
This discussion has been closed.