Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• jeffbogjeffbog Member Posts: 63
    I remember a while back that there was some discussion of the Bonneville being discontinued. For what it is worth, I just read in the Chicago Tribune, dated 01/17/02, that "new Pontiac designs are coming out in the next 18 to 24 months. New Grand Prix in '03, Grand Am in '04 and Bonneville replacement in '05." Now they didn't say new Bonneville, but rather Bonneville replacement. I guess we'll wait and see.
  • chevydude2chevydude2 Member Posts: 36
    Hi.. My '98 Bonneville has developed a "creak" coming from the rear suspension (I suspect). Only does it when I am exiting the car and it sounds like something is rubbing -- almost sounds like metal to metal. Its not the rear struts -- does not do it when I go over a bump, but its driving me nuts. Any ideas?? Thanks
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Member Posts: 419
    I've been pretty quiet here of late. Been in Maine for a week playing electrician, working on the old Camaro and finally, tons of computer issues. Downloaded new OS and Netscape 6 whereupon the computer would freeze every 15 seconds or so. Back to normal after trashing Netscape 6.
    Anyway, we've all read ads touting the latest miracle device or additive that will increase your fuel economy beyond your wildest dreams and that if Detroit wasn't involved in such a conspiracy to get us all to use the maximum amount of fuel, we would all be using these items on our cars right out of the factory.
    Well, my car seems to be working in reverse in that it uses fuel overnight. Whenever I fill up the tank and only have a relatively few miles on it, the average fuel economy per the DIC goes down 2-3 tenths of a MPG from the time I pull into the driveway and when I start it back up the next day. Must be some type of averaging computation the computer uses but it sure is baffling.
    The same Tribune article also said that the new Pontiac redesigns will be cleaner and without the ribbed body panels.
    Last Sunday, the Tribune had an article that was quoting GM's president as saying that they have made great strides in the hard type quality issues as in the ones that can be measured. He said, however, that GM needs to make much bigger strides in improving perceived quality, especially in the interior area. Since I rarely, if ever, am in a luxury imported car, I don't have much of a frame of reference except for the Bonneville and I find it just fine. However, it would seem that there is a perception out there, at least with some buyers, that the GM interiors are a bit cheesy and needs to improve before they'll even consider a purchase.
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Any snow up your way at the camp? We've got a few inches - major disappointment to the kids so far this winter!

What exactly was the problem you had with starting on your Bonneville? I noticed the other day that I turned the key and there was nothing at all the first attempt. Fine on the second.

Ken
    A week ago yesterday, we got about 6". The Ford Focus I had as a rental was pretty decent in the snow but certainly could have used traction control.
    Both times my car has failed to start, the problem has been the ignition switch. I know that was the problem the first time since it was diagnosed and fixed by the local(Illinois) dealer. That's what the dealer in Maine also told me but then, I don't have much faith in anything they said, considering it would start in neutral but not park. No problems since.
  • timfarntimfarn Member Posts: 289
    Chevydude: My guess would be that the rear control arm ball joints are dry. Grease the ball joints and the links - two zerks on each side.
    I see that Pontiac sold 48,000 units of Bonneville last year compared to 65K the prior year. Doesn't look encouraging to see numbers drop like that.

LeSabre sold 145K units. I guess people prefer the softer ride in this class.

Ken
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    The other day I received a mailer describing a new owner's web site for my Chevy Tahoe, so I checked it out. GM has created a site where you can get info about your car including "service history," recall information, download owner's manuals, and more. It's actually pretty nice, although it seems to be in it's infant stages; I expect that it will improve with time. I was disappointed that the service history is not what I thought it was -- it is only a place for you to enter stuff like when you got your oil changed and it will remind you when to get another oil change. They claim that beginning in the spring warranty service will automatically appear there; I was hoping all my dealer's service records would be there too.

So far only select Chevrolet and Pontiac vehicles are available (including 1993-present Bonneville), but I guess soon all the carlines will be participating. Anyway, I was able to enter my Tahoe and Bonneville, so we'll see how it works.

http://www.mygmlink.com
    Michael - the GM site looks interesting. I guess one of the benefits would be for anyone that is travelling and gets into trouble - all the repair history would be available to the servicing dealer right away.

BTW - I finally got to check out Jeff's site mentioned above in #2342. Looks like he's attracted a good assortment of teens and other young guys driving prior generation Bonnevilles. Nice to see that someone younger than most of us here can appreciate these vehicles. Makes me feel pretty darn old at 46 though!

My wife and I took the Bonneville into Boston last night to go to a concert at Symphony Hall. I was driving in my usual assertive city manner and enjoying the handling of the S curves getting into and out of town and the smooth new tires. What a great car!
  • pturner1pturner1 Member Posts: 33
    Hi, I read this board everyday, however, I haven't posted in a long, long time.
    My occupation has taken me from home (Chicago) to Hadley, MA. I've been here since Aug 1st, I've seen some 2k+ Bonnevilles and waved, but no response.
    Ken, I guess I haven't seen your ride yet.
    The GM site: As far as it being a benefit to a to someone who moves around quite abit, maybe I missed something. The site thinks my primary service center is Tom Wood Pontiac in Indianaopolis, IN, where I bought the car.
    My work took me to Chicago within an oil change of purchase, and I've been to two dealer service centers in the two years that I spent there.
    Now, I have had four oil changes (tire rotate)since in MA. BTW the car has been completely trouble free at 53k.
    One would think that GM would have a database of the of service performed on the VIN. But, maybe I missed something. Do you really have to enter your own maintenance info? That's no fun.
    I have an Excel spreadsheet of every inch that my car has rolled since purchase, in my PocketPC. If any form of info has to be derived, it can be, with the mileage, gallons, services, cost, etc. that I keep a records of. But, I'm a surveyor. and sort of a nerd as far as records are concerned.
    If I had a few minutes of free time, I'd do the pulley trick. However. the quickness of the car still hasn't become boring. I haven't gone out of my way to do any mods except for a K&N filter and Mobile 1.
    What a great ride.
    2000 SSEi
    Rick
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    Interesting that when I registered my Bonnie the MyGMLink web site also automatically selected the dealership I purchased the car from as my "preferred" dealership. When I registered the Tahoe no dealer was selected (maybe their records don't go back to 1998 for that sort of thing, I dunno). So if they know where I got my car, how come they don't know what has been done to it? (They probably do, but haven't yet figured out how to link it to this database.)
    Still love the car, but I am increasingly disappointed about the vibration problem, which improved when they rebalanced the wheels (no more shake in the steering wheel) but still feels like I'm driving on a washboard at certain speeds on smooth roads. I really believe that it is not an easy thing to fix and I don't have patience for dealing with it, especially on a "new" car that cost well over $30 grand. I continue to live with it primarily because the Bonnie is not my daily ride, and when I do take it out I have much fun with it.
    All you New England guys are making me homesick. I know I'm an oddball here in Florida, but I think there is something seriously wrong when it is 85 degrees and the mosquitoes are out in late January. Where's my cold weather?
  • smfransmfran Member Posts: 432
    Didn't someone on this board (Ezrapon?) mention that Curt Warner drove an SSEi? Even if that is the case..... GO PATRIOTS!!!!
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    GM has no service records for our Bonnevilles, other then warranty repairs. Warranty repairs will be rolled into the system later, I beleive I read somewhere. I second the GO PATRIOTS!!!!!!
    Rick - welcome to New England. Contrary to your present situation here, January is not typically 60-70 degrees with a first place football team! BTW - I know someone who grew up in Hadley - nice litle town I hear.

Micheal - sorry bud - no snow, no cold, no solid ice on the ponds and lakes. The dirt roads are muddy and if it doesn't change soon the crocuses and tulips will be up! It feels and looks like late March around here. Really weird!!!

PATS in the Super Bowl?? But where's the wonder man - former coach Bill P??? How did this happen?

Seriously - it was great to see Bledsoe have an awesome game coming back as he did to take over from Brady after not playing since Sep. He's a great quarterback and apparantly a real gentleman too.

Best wishes to all

Ken
    A 60-70 degree day in New England in January or the Patriots in the Super Bowl? For what it's worth, ever since the St. Louis Cardinals pulled up stakes and moved west to Arizona, I just can't warm up to the St. Louis Rams so I'm pulling for the Patriots.
    I see where Mercury is bringing back the Marauder ala the Impala SS. Supposed to have a very impressive 300+ hp. Hmmm. Could I be tempted? Maybe at the reported list price of around $30,000.
    Having owned 2 GMs I'd like to see how this one turns out. I'm not tempted to go buy one but I'd sure like to drive it.

BTW I stopped at my local Pontiac GMC Cadillac dealer today and saw the new CTS - and was unimpressed. The Envoy, OTOH, is VERY impressive and I'd love to drive one to compare to the Trail Blazer I tried recently.

There were NO new Bonnies in sight! You'd think it was an orphan! OH well - I got the 2002 catalogue anyway.

Take care all

Ken
    Have you seen the recent posts over on the Bonneville Problems board regarding 95-98 3800 engines?? Absolutely scary! Hope this is not a problem for 2000 on.

Ken
  • fantascpfantascp Member Posts: 175
    I'm still here- i'm not really worried about it yet- obviously it could be something to be VERY concerned over- but with only 8 or 9 posts out of all the car owners of 1995 to 1998 bonnevilles- (imho) i'm not jumping the gun on anything yet.-
    i can only relate right now to my own vehicles and so far no intake problems as a matter of fact, no problems with either car- both are running GREAT!!!! Thanks for the heads up and your concern- I'm really sorry for those that have had problems with this and can only hope that these are isolated cases.

Regards,

Chuck
  • ezraponezrapon Member Posts: 348
    As i stated before, Curt Warner is a neighbor. He drives a 2000 bronzemist SSEi. Winners drive Bonnevilles. The Rams will humiliate the pats again as they did in week 10... shame on you mfahey... using the cardinals and the rams in the same thought tch tch tch.
  • stnelstnel Member Posts: 338
    Hope you Bonneville owners making your way to the "Big Easy" for the Superbowl will have a great trip.

They've been talking about all the added security but I doubt it will compare to the Olympics. I heard the the security in Utah is costing $300 million. Of course, that's 2 weeks vs. 1 day.

Anyway, if any of you are going to New Orleans, hope your experience is a good one!!

Stacy
    Roger - My memory is obviously better than yours. I remembered you mentioning that Kurt Warner drives a Bonnie, you forget that the Patriots basically gave the week 10 game to the Rams. Not even diehard St. Louis fans can say that the Rams humiliated the Pats in that game. It was even closer than the 24-17 score indicates. Enjoy the game!
    Stephen
    Nice to see you again! How's that Grand Prix doing these days? A woman in my office just bought a 2002 GT and loves it.

No plans for travelling farther than my sofa to watch the game on Sunday for me!

Thanks for stopping by. Take care.

Ken
    The car is doing great but it really needs to be washed. It's embarrassing, it's so dirty! If it's warm enough today, I may wash it.

I was reading over the posts and saw where your car got scratched. That's a shame. I'm still waiting for my first car scratch. (Just because I said this, I've jinxed myself!!) It seems like yours was probably an accident, but the person with the "8" scratch was definitely vandalism. I don't know why people do that.

Anyway, good luck with the Patriots!

Stacy
    Yes Stacy, cars get absolutely filthy this time of year - especially in these northern climates where we cope with road salt in addition to the mud and general grime. You have to be so careful not to touch your jacket or pants against the car and get a white smear on your clothing - it's just plain GROSS!
    I've never heard of road salt before. I imagine it's much harder keeping a car clean up north because you never have a warm day to wash it until spring. I don't really know anything about snow but I imagine constantly getting into the car with wet clothing will ruin a cloth interior as well. What can I say--you northerners pay your dues in the winter and we southerners pay ours in the summer! I think I'd rather do a little damage to the paint job/interior than burn an engine out in a car--which I've done before when I was young.
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    My grandma's got a '92 Bonneville with the Series I 3.8. I know, I know, I'm evil to want to hop up grandma's car...
    But my question is this- Can the Series II heads be bolted onto a Series I block with no trouble, or will the computer need to be updated to work with the newer heads? Will intakes, throttle bodies, ect carry over from the S I to the S II, or do I need an entire SII top end?
    And now for the $64,000 question....
    How much will all this cost?
    Now that the Chicago area is getting hit with snow for the first time this year, I took out the SSEi for the first time ever in snow. The car is almost two years old but I basically parked it last winter and drove the beater van. With the tires that are standard on the SSEi, it was your basic grossly understeering front driver(read, I almost kissed a bridge on a curve). Time to be a little more careful.
    To set the record straight, I basically grew up in St. Louis rooting for the St. Louis CARDINALS. The Rams were just some interlopers that came along when there was more money to be had than in Los Angeles.. Of course, if I still lived there, I'm sure I'd be on the Rams bandwagon too.
  • loud_pontiacloud_pontiac Member Posts: 12
    You'll run into trouble trying to interchange parts. Your best bet is to find a L36 (3800SII) or L67 (3800SII supercharged). You'll also need a 4T65-E to handle the power, the older 4T60-E won't take it for long. Come over to http://www.bonnevilleclub.com, we've got some interesting discussion on this going on.
    Thanks for the link & advice. I'll check it out.
    It seems the superbowl has added some fresh life into this forum! Too bad there is not the 2 week period to prepare, we would have more time to carry on. I fear that the Rams will lose only if Kurt is hurt or throws too many interceptions. Otherwise the Boston folks are doomed to relive their Cublike sport's failure once again (never should have traded the Babe or started Buckner). As for the first game, the rams put over 400 yards on the pats and took a knee when they easily could have scored another touch down late in the game. The pats only scored one offensive TD. Since that fateful day (notice, Stephen, I didn't use the word humiliation) both teams have improved. The most improvement, however, has been on the rams defense. They are number one in the NFC. So on paper the pats don't stand a chance. But I suppose they will go ahead and play the game anyway just to make sure. Either way, I like the pats. They came very close to being the St. Louis Patriots a while back. Steve Grogan played in one of the best Monday night games I have ever seen. I'd rather lose to the Pats than the Ravens Titans Steelers or Raiders. Good luck Bean Town! As for my SSEi, the 180 thermostat I installed last summer is paying dividends with this cold weather... It runs cooler and keeps that early morning umph all day.
    I found a new way to avoid any possibility of getting speeding tickets. I got a little carried away playing tennis this week and am now the proud wearer of a foot immobilizing boot on my right foot which doesn't let you bend your ankle to press on the gas. I can barely drive the car around town because it's a strain to get it up to 35mph.
    It's much better than a couple years ago trying to drive my 5 speed Taurus with a cast up to my left knee(softball). You definitely can't shift too smoothly with your right operating the clutch.
    On the philosophy of everyone loves to root for the underdog, go Patriots.

Mark
    You restated your position very nicely. The only error in your post was that the Babe was sold; not traded! The Patriots appear to be a team of destiny. They are mostly a collection of players that no other team wanted. Us New Englanders deserve a break after (I'm sorry to admit) many humiliating and disapointing situations. If we can force Warner in to throwing a couple of interceptions or stop Faulk somehow, we could actually have a chance. Stranger things have happened!
    As far as my SSEi is concerned, my driver's side seat warmer won't stay on. I only use it to warm it up for a minute or two on very cold mornings, but it clicks right off in a second or two.
    Enjoy the game everyone.
    Stephen
    my seat warmer went out the exact same way. Light would come on for a second then click off. Had to replace the entire seat cushion (twice). The leather did not match the first time, then it had defects in the leather, looked like the cow rubbed up against barbed wire before they made a seat out of him. Finally both seats were replaced, still not grade A leather, but I grew weary of fighting AS WILL THE PATS when they fold up like a cheap suit under the Rams onslaught. I still pine for the Mchale/Larry Bird glory days. Until the Pats pick a city instead of a region, they can't be taken seriously...The Mid-West Rams??? I wonder if I can still buy an extended warranty for this car.
    On the philosophy that everyone loves to root for the underdog, GO RAMS!
    I don't think so! This team has too much fight in it to give up at any time. They proved that all season long. It should be a great game.

Remember that New England is about the same size geographically as Missouri. I'm not sure about population though. Also, don't forget that Missouri has two teams just in case one bandwagon is full!

I did go for the 100,000 mile warranty and wouldn't mind taking my chances with a new leather seat. I remember how firm it was before I had been sitting in it now for 50,000 miles. With each Bonneville I've had (5), my wife has reminded me just how cheap the leather is in these cars. I think they could provide better quality.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    The Bonneville now uses Connolly leather, the same one found in Jaguar and Rolls Royce. This is as good as it gets...
    They only replace the covers, I guess that is where the elements are. Mine replacements had 2 or 3 obvious defects (pits and deep cracks). The service people said that is just the way leather is now days even in new cars. I said, " show me one new car in your lot with seats like this and I will not say another word." They are a Cadilac dealer and only higher end Pontiacs. They didnt need to look at any other seats because they were caught. They ordered 2 new ones on the spot. The passenger is still not perfect. They must use factory seconds for replacements... speaking of seconds, look for my I TOLD YOU SO TONIGHT!!!! GO RAMS!!!!
  • pturner1pturner1 Member Posts: 33
    Aren't you doubters alittle ashamed?
    Its easy to say what a great game when you win. When thr Rams beat the Titans 2 years ago in a fantastic finish, I said what a great game. This time we lost, but I can still say, what a great nail biting game. No trash talking, no fights, just hard hitting football by two class teams. The rams are still probably the better team, but the Pats are a team of destiny (remember the horrible call in the Oakland game). I guess we have to count the first half dont we?
    They do not replace the seat covers any more. GM now has a replacement element kit that goes under the leather trim to repair problems. Way to go PATS, was not as musch fun as standing in the snow for 5 hours to watch the PATS beat theRaiders but we love it any way.
    That was just the best S.B. ever - a real cliff hanger at the end. Now I don't pretend to be a real football fan - oh I'll watch playoffs and SB - but that game was just pure sports entertainment. Too many of these big hype games turn out to be lopsided mismatches. Not so this time. Nice to see the hometown team pull it off -we haven't been treated to that recently in these parts!

Now if only the Red Sox.........

Best wishes to all

Ken
  • xavier64xavier64 Member Posts: 76
    Ken,

Nice to see the super bowl live up to its name and for the NE Pats to take home the trophy!

How about a Phillies vs Red Sox World Series...one has to win?!

Two months till spring so everyone up north hold out just a little bit more.

Bonnie is running fine and closing in on 4000 miles. Gave the car a bath on Sunday. Will be available for inclusion for any Patriots Parade!!
    All that is needed for a Pontiac display is a white and blue Bonnie!!!

Take care everyone ....

Steve
    If you thought the game was good on TV, the local sports radio station is playing the National & Local radio feeds of the highlights, and it is much more exciting then the TV broadcast. To stay near topic: too bad no Bonneville commercials during the Pontiac Postgame Show.
    First of all, the Patriots are not a team of destiny. The call in the Oakland game was the right call according to the rule. Nobody disputes that. It's the rule that should be changed. Second, the Patriots proved that they are the better team. Your Rams may have more individual talent, but that doesn't always win games. The Patriots played harder and wanted to win more.
    I hope Kurt enjoyed driving home in his Bonneville in that "cheap suit"!
    My kids absolutely fell on the floor laughing at the Focus 'Fart' commercial.

The Budweiser bird theives were great - and the kneeling clydesdales in respect for WTC was touching.

Ken
    If you go to www.stltoday.com and click on the story, "Rams return to small group of loyal fans," you might recognize the roofline of a 2000 bronzemist Bonneville. Why would a multi-millionaire choose a SSEi? He later in the day tried to comit suicide, but the bullet was intercepted.
    I don't see the story. Perhaps it was on the prior day's site. What's the suicide reference about???

Ken
    He through 2 interceptions which led to the Pats victory.
    Inadvertently posted this same message over on the M&R board.
    Maybe Pontiac should spend more effort pushing the Bonneville rather than the Grand Prix in the Super Bowl. In February's Consumer Reports, the Grand Prix GT came in last against the Camry, Altima and Intrepid(?).
This discussion has been closed.