Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    A milestone event!!
    Is anyone else affected by this problem? The scroll-up feature and the 'Go to' post # feature don't work

Hello Edmunds Hosts - Is there a software problem here???
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    tpken, something must be going on. When I hit "Read Subscriptions", I now get the whole page and not just the unread messages.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Yes. It was indeed.

However, at this moment things are working correctly for me, so maybe they have fixed it. Let's hope so.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    Thanks Pat!!
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    I love/hate these things. They look better than bare lug nuts, but the technicians always forget to remove them BY HAND before going at the actual lug nut with the air wrench. Duh! The dealer already lost one of mine, I had to go back and make them give me a new one (they tried to blame it on a "broken" plastic part). Even though it seems ridiculous to have to do this, I think maybe next time I'll take them off myself before the dealer touches it. That way, they can't ruin or lose any! (I used to do this with my '82 Bonneville wagon -- they would ruin the wire wheel covers with their mallets and pry bars.)
    Going to have to get my Aquatreads rotated soon - perhaps tomorrow. Guess I'll pull off the caps first since I've also lost a couple. I had replacements put on back in December when I bought the tires but they seem to disappear.

BTW - there are some who would suggest I am missing more than a few caps!

Ken
  • mfahey1mfahey1 Member Posts: 419
    Your talk of dealers and removing and taking off tires reminded me of one of my pet peeves, that of service technicians almost universally reinstalling tires without using a torque wrench or stick, just letting the old impact gun wail away on the lug nuts.
    I changed a tire for a friend of ours last week and I would estimate that it took 200 lb ft to get the lug nuts off. In addition to running the risk of ruining the rotors, it probably eliminates virtually all women and more than a few men from being able to change a tire if needed. It only took my back 3-4 days to recover.
    When I rotate my tires, I look it up in the manual and set my torque wrench for that setting.
  • smfransmfran Member Posts: 432
    You may be missing more than a few caps; you're nuts! :)
  • theicemantheiceman Member Posts: 736
    It appears to be a go for the G/XP. Of course, who can say BUT they are supposed to hit the showrooms in about a year's time. With the continued decline of the sales of the Bonneville, it really looks bleak for its future. Perhaps the sleeker lines will give it a boost. Although, a sleeker Bonneville does beg the question as to why GM needs to have the LeSabre as well.

Ward's Auto World

I hope this link works - not much there though (except my source of the latest news). Look up the G/XP article under "Ward's Wrapup"

Ciao, ice

I thought of you today when I posted in italics in #2509 above. I actually pulled out your Email which explained how to do it. Thanks again.
    It's ironic that you posted today. Do you have a link to any other articles and/or pictures of the G/XP? I would consider one in May 2003.
  • enormusenormus Member Posts: 3
    I'm very excited by the announcement that Pontiac will most likely produce the G/XP. In the meantime, I'm thinking of tuning my 2000 SSEi with some of the same equipment used on the G/XP. I had already installed a K&N drop in filter right after I bought the car. Now I have a desire to put on some performance brake pads and some slotted rotors. I am thinking of going with Baer and EradiSpeed. Anyone have any experience with this? I realize this question would be better in the Modifications group, but there isn't much activity there.
    Stephen - here's a link that Dan posted earlier for pics of the Bonneville as well as Grand Prix. There are better pics around - I'll have to find them again and post here.

http://www.mountaintopclub.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=000009

I do remember checking out Dan's links last time he posted. I wish he'd become a regular here again. If you can find more links to pictures of the GX/P, please post.
    Stephen
  • sixxersixxer Member Posts: 36
    G'day all!

Has anyone taken on the task of changing the foglight on a 2000 SE? Mine has burnt, but I'm still trying to figure out how to remove the light so I can see which bulb I need. Any ideas on removal, and the bulb number?

Lovin my Bonneville!
    Stan
    Chuck - you been there yet?
  • fantascpfantascp Member Posts: 175
    Stan,Ken- sorry, can't help here- have not had to replace the bulbs.

Stan- if its not in the owners manual- try going to MYGMLINKS.COM- they have a lot of useful info
    on service etc after your register your pontiac.

Chuck
    Stephen: Here's a link with the biggest pictures of the GXP I was able to find: supercars.net. It has a difficult interface but I was able to download the pics (made copies from my cache). It's worth the trouble as the pix are big enough that you can actually see the holes in the rotors! I'd say get 'em fast while the getting's good.

I'd have to say that all this talk about the G/XP has me putting off any mods to my Bonnie or even buying an SSEi. I'd rather sink my money into the '03 G/XP. Call me a lunatic but this is just what GM has to do - get some buzz going and give (some of) us a reason to at least dream about trading in earlier than common sense tells us we should. Same thing about bringing over the Holden Monaro as a Pontiac GTO. Here are two cars that are going to create some buzz for Pontiac - and with very little effort. I say bravo Mr. Lutz.

Stan: my first fog burnout just happened the other month - mine's still under warranty though so I let the dealer take care of it.

I'm up to 20k miles on the '00 SLE now and very few issues. One of two interior squeaks (on each of the front doors) disappeared on its own and the other after an application of some leather lubricant. Very little spent so far on maintenance (except Mobil 1 every 3000 miles) and still on the original RSA's. I'm impressed enough that I might get the car similarly re-shod when this autumn rolls around. Only quirk? A light in the stereo unit burnt out. No probs because it's under warranty but I was stunned to learn that they replace the entire unit - not just the light! That's gotta cost somebody something! That notwithstanding, this is one of the nicest, most trouble-free rides I have had in many many years.

I'll be back I'm sure gang. Don't keep a light on for me though - I have my own key >:)

Wow - that's enough to get anyone's pulse racing!

I'd like to see it in a more colorful hue - this looks like blue-gray. I'd like to see a garnet red or forest green.

Ken

P.S. - I really do appreciate the lack of cladding and superfluous touches - they really took it down to it's most elegant look.
  • twobrownstwobrowns Member Posts: 52
    I have a 2001 ssei with 33000 miles. Up to recently it used little oil between oil changes(3000 miles). However it is now using about 1 Qt in 2500 miles which is not excessive but this change for no apparent reason! No oil leaks etc. Any thoughts?
  • socleanonesocleanone Member Posts: 6
    Parts no.GM880 is the bulb you need for 93-99 Driving Lights not sure about the newer models.They just twist in and out, three notches only go one way.Around $8.00 bucks U.S. Hope this helps. SO CLEAN ONE L8TR.
    Surely, 2.38 for the final drive ratio is a misprint or else it is applied to the 4th gear ratio of .7 to give an axle ratio of 3.4.
    2.38 wouldn't get out of an Aztek's way while the 3.4 could mean some serious replacement business for the likes of Goodyear.
    It will be very interesting to see the performance numbers. I wonder if they are using the same supercharger with the same internals and just running it faster as so many have done with our cars or if they have actually revised the supercharger itself.
  • sixxersixxer Member Posts: 36
    Thanks for all the input so far! But, I am still not sure about how to remove it yet. I may have to make a trip in to the dealer next week to find out. It is still under warranty, it is just more convenient for me if I could do it myself as the dealership is kinda out of my way. I never did recieve an owners manual for the car, so the option of looking in there is out. (the joys of buying used! Why do they lose these things??)

Chuck - Thanks for the link, it looks interesting so far! I'll have to peruse it more tomorrow. BTW, it is www.mygmlink.com (not linkS) if anyone else is trying to find it.

Iceman - I too had a light go in the stereo. It was in the clock display area. Whole unit was replaced under warranty. Must be our harsh Canadian winters? lol

Take care,
    Stan
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    I read the threads here. Sixxer, I sort of doubt that the owners manual details how to replace a foglight bulb. They don't tend to be that detailed. Have you tried just looking under the car to see the back of the foglight assembly? I bet it just twists out like socleanone said.

That is funny about replacing the whole stereo for a burned out bulb. Line replaceable units are a good idea if it is cheaper to replace the whole unit than to perform the labor to replace a part in it, but replacing the radio for a burned out bulb doesn't seem like it could possibly be cost effective. Perhaps they need to talk Delco or Delphi or whoever makes the radio into making it with more easily servicable bulbs. My dad's 97 Regal GS had a bulb burn out in the climate control and they will only replace that as a unit too. His was out of warranty when it happened, so it would cost $500 plus labor to fix a burned out bulb. Crazy...
  • thill381thill381 Member Posts: 64
    Since the radio in our cars are manufactured by a GM supplier and not GM, GM will not fix the radio. The radio will be sent back to the supplier for repair. GM then receives refurbished radios for use in future replacement/repairs.
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Member Posts: 274
    I wouldn't worry about a quart per 2500 miles on any car.
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    ...is not described in the owner's manual. It recommends visiting the dealer. However, I've changed one of mine. It requires twisting the lamp socket from the rear of the lamp assembly, just like the turn lamps, etc., of any other car. The trouble I had was that it was difficult to get myself into a position to twist it off and back on (it is a tight fit). It would have been much easier if the car was on a lift.
    Thanks once again to Ice for his posts. The GX/P looks awesome and might lead me to a sixth Bonnie.
    The radio light went out in my '97 with about six months to go in my last lease. I decided not to go with the $500.00+ replacement at that point.
    The radio light also went out in my 2000 while still under warrantee. They replaced it with a rebuilt one as stated by thill381.
  • ezraponezrapon Member Posts: 348
    I am still happy with my 2000 SSEi and it will probably out run the stock GXP if it is ever to become a reality. If not, for the 20 grand it would cost to upgrade to the GXP, I could duplicate the looks and performance without generating a giant car payment. It would be nice to be forced into making the decision though.
    Mark: I had noticed the same thing about the drive ratios. Incomplete information I'm guessing.

Radio: I had assumed that indeed the faulty units would be sent back to the factory to be rebuilt. Unserviceable lights with a short lifespan do unnerve me somewhat. I jes' might have to spring for that extended warranty - or jump to the G/XP.

twobrowns: While a quart per 2500 miles doesn't necessarily indicate a major problem, I certainly would have it looked at. I wouldn't want mine burning oil at that rate. At the very least, I'd be worried about fouling sensors or plugging the catalytic converter over the long haul. Have you changed the viscosity recently -or switched from dino to synth?
  • twobrownstwobrowns Member Posts: 52
    I have not changed the vis. and have been using dino since new. For no apparentent reason it started using oil. I will have the dealer check it out at the next service. Thanks for your help.
    could be one or more valve seals or guides that suddenly cracked or wore out (although I would be astonished if it was the latter). Do you see any colour to the exhaust on a cold start?
  • bonnevillemanbonnevilleman Member Posts: 22
    Forgive me but I don't know where they are positioned on the 2000 SE. On my 95 SSEi they are somewhat simple to do. Mine are located in the front bumper on either side of the front lisence plate. If this is where they are located you should be able to open the hood and reach down the gap between the bumper and the radiator and twist the bulb out. just be careful and not start turning the adjustor screw like I did. A 10 min job turned into 30 to readjust them and I still don't think I have them right. If they are located down on the front air damn then you should be able to reach underneath it and twist it out. Again I am speaking from 95 bonny experience and I've never been under the hood of a 2000 SE.
    I was just able to pull up a pick of the 2000 SE model. Ummmm can you say pain in the butt to replace? what I would think is they made them where you could take the lens off from the front with a star wrench. However if this is not the case looks like you're going to be crawling under the front air dam and becoming a contortionist to replace them.
  • luvmybonneluvmybonne Member Posts: 13
    I own a 1996 ssei. I have noticed a squeking sound from the front fender area. Can some one shed some light on what's happening? Also, when trans shifts to overdrive it seems to get sluggish in the power if I gradually accelerate.
    I currently have Michelin 225-60-16's on. Can I get a better ride and handling with 235's?
    Finally, Has anyone had to replace the struts.
    I have the electronic ride control system and want to get the best deal.
    It could be something as simple as a dry bushing for the sway bar. Try squirting some silicone spray around the bar at all of the bushing locations. It's not a bad idea to do anyway just as a preventative maintenance item.
    I would also assume although I don't know for sure that the upper strut area has a bushing. If it does, try spraying that.
    Again, I'm not an expert by any means on the sluggishness but many, many owners have had a problem with the plug wires. Conventional wisdow appears to be to go with OEM wires, not aftermarket types like Autozone has.
    On the 96 I had, I had the adjustable ride or as Pontiac called it "Computer Command Ride". I never had to replace the struts in the 70,000 miles I had it but I do know that the rear ones had air connections going to them from an air compressor in the back. That may mean they are dealer items since most struts wouldn't have an air connection which in turn means that they may be $$$.
    Thank's much Mfahey1. I'll follow up on the silicone treatment as well as check on the wires.

I am no expert myself, but I do want my bonneville to reach its maximum potential both standing and rolling.
    With the 1996 you owned, did both the performance and touring ride button lights ever stayed on at the same time?
    My ride does adjust but both light are always on.
    Did you get better mpg with the traction control off?

The owners manual is somewhat vague.
    I installed the tornado fuel saver divice yesterday. I will fill up Wednesday and will give a report by the next Wednesday.
    Since the lights for the performance/touring suspension system just indicate if the compressor is allowed to run in the performance mode, I would think if both lights are on at the same time that you have an electrical gremlin somewhere.
    Traction control would have no effect whatsoever on mileage because it only applies the brakes if it detects a slippage condition under acceleration. On my 2000, it seems very slow to activate as many times, my foot has "slipped". The low traction light comes on but I have never heard the system activate.
    My Low Trac light is also slow to come on in my 2000 SSEi. The traction control does activate though when the light does come on. The traction control in my 1997 activated much quicker.
  • fantascpfantascp Member Posts: 175
    Hi Harvey- I read your post on the TORNADO FUEL SAVER- I hope you can give us POSITIVE RESULTS- If you want , there are some interesting posts on the device in the AFTERMARKET AND ACCESSORIES (THE ACCESSORIES TO IMPROVE MILEAGE AND EXTEND ENGINE LIFE)- if you didn't already read them, there in posts 32,35,36,37 and 40- some for- mostly Against the Tornado.
    again, I hope the results are positve.

Chuck
  • beer47beer47 Member Posts: 185
    I leased (2yr) a bonne for a new sales job in Dec/96. After 2 years and 72K I was so impressed with the car that I bought it off lease even though I could have purchased cheaper used off the lot. I figured that since I put every mile on it I should know a little more about it than a "pig in a poke" with less miles. Well, since then my better half has it up to about 116K in the 4+ years since with only one problem. A plug wire went bad and she was stuck in our driveway till we could have AAA tow it to the local Chevy dealer. I am starting to wonder if I have been just plain lucky and keep running till 150+ or maybe it is time to think about something else. She does mostly short trips that a Yoda or Subie would be better suited for but I have to say that the Pontiac is still on original shocks & muffler. Tires and brakes have been done once! Am I just flat out lucky on this one or is the new style Bonne worth a look?
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    I put some of the pictures I took at NAIAS here. I didn't try to compete with marketing pictures, but I'm not proud of the photographic quality of my pictures either.

Anyway, I focused especially on concept models and engines, for I love cut out engines! ;^)

Enjoy!
    Well beer I'm sure this board doesn't represent all of the bonnevilles that have been manufactured and sold in the US. I'm having probs with mine but I am only one person. I would say you have a pretty good car on your hands. My 95 I have done the brakes twice on it, about to replace the starter, have replaced all the plugs and plug wires (having a misfire on #6), replaced the battery, and the 02 sensor twice. All this w/in a year of purchase. Just take care of it b/c when I bought it, mine was mint but went down hill fast. Just my opinion.

Preston
    I've had tremendous "luck" with the 5 Bonnevilles that I've had. I put approximately 100,000 miles on all of them. As far as brakes are concerned, their life is more tied to the driver and the actual driving they do. My advice however is that if you can afford it, I'd start looking for a new vehicle while you are under no pressure. The value of yours is not going up, and if you need to find a car in a hurry if yours has a problem, you won't be in a position to get the best deal.
    Hey - this is one of those 'salesman' Bonnies that Edmunds wrote about in their review - first one I've heard of!!!

Beer47 - Congrats on the great experience with your Bonnie. Hope you continue to enjoy it - but I'd agree that maybe it's time to think replacement before she starts costing you money. I have a 2000 SE that I just love - and picked it up pretty cheaply as a 6 month old former rental. No regrets and it's a great car!

Ken
    I was at a stop light last night and a BMW pulled up next to me with one of those "Fast and Furious"
    mufflers and wheels. Well, when the light turned greed he did take off rather quickley but, to his surprise my 96 with the tornado installed was right on his back so fast till I even wondered if I was in the same car. The driver of the beemer thought I was a trooper about to nail him. Boy, you should have seen the look on his face!!
    I will give you gas mileage update next Monday.
    I'm sorry that your Bonneville experience has been negative. I'm assuming (from the model year and the timing) that you bought yours used. If it makes you feel any better, my most negative experiences have been with two cars I bought used - a Volvo and a Mercury Villager. In my first year of ownership, my problems with either dwarfed the list in your #2544. On the former, I cut my losses and bailed - Volvo parts were just too expensive, components were failing all over the place and even the interior was falling apart (sagging headliner, breaking switchgear, etc.). On the Villager, I decided to stick with it because the parts that were failing were all the mechanical/electrical things (incl. a tranny rebuild) that had shorter life spans anyway and the interior/exterior was holding up reasonably well. Although I would never have described my Villager as trouble-free, I'm glad I didn't bail early as I did with the Volvo.
  • waynei13waynei13 Member Posts: 2
    Is anyone else having this feeling? I'm tall(6'3") and bought a 2001 bonneville SE because I wanted a big comfortable car. The only problem is that I am very uncomfortable with the gas and brake pedal. I travel 50 miles to work one way and am in traffic alot. The gas pedal feels like it has too much space under it and my foot can slip off and the brake feels like it's too far out towards the driver and you really have to lift your leg.
    Other than this, I love the car, but this problem is driving me crazy!
    Is anyone else having the same problem? and if so did you come up with a remedy??

Thanks.
    I'm 6'2" and can't say that I feel the same - although it could just be what we're used to. What I do find "different" about the Bonneville is that the gas pedal is farther over to the right than I'd like. That is undoubtedly by design - to reduce the likelihood of your foot slipping off the brake pedal, striking the accelerator and causing acceleration just when you don't need it.

As a consequence, I had to "learn" to pivot my foot right at the heel. I'm comfortable with it now - and see the safety reasons behind it.
This discussion has been closed.