Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• ezraponezrapon Member Posts: 348
    This board is so dead I traded my SSEi in for a Denali. Guess I'll haunt the Yukon board. A little more action there. This seems to have run its course. Yes, my pulley puller is for sale.
    Best to all. Rod...Ice, I've seen you on the GTO board...I'll be watching you.
  • bunky36bunky36 Member Posts: 94
    I guess I have maybe just been lucky. I have a 2003 SSEI with 10k miles on it. Just ran 1,500 miles through Kansas and Colorado over the Rockies, and it was smooth as glass all the way--no vibrations at any speed up to 85. I put aftermarket wheels on right after I got it, kept the original Goodyear RSA's, and had them balanced by the Hunter road force system.
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Greetings to all

It's been a long time since my last visit here and thought I'd pop in to say Hello and see what's the discussion topic these days.

I still have my 00 SE model - with 84K on it now. It's still a great car and has been extremely reliable. Time for a tune-up soon and before winter hits I'll need tires again. I see some paint blistering aong the leading edge of my hood and with all the stone chips from highway driving the front end is looking a bit battered these days. She's still smooth and responsive so no telling how long she'll be around. I expect to pass her down to my kids in a couple years when they start to drive. Before that happens I may pick up an Aurora 4.0 for myself as a replacement ride. 2001s and 2002s with low miles are a steal.

Best wishes to all.

Ken
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi Ken, nice to see you again. :)
  • fantascpfantascp Member Posts: 175
    Nice to hear your still hanging around this board.
    I was just thinking that its been over 3 years since we had that little mini-meet at the Rockaway Mall (NJ).with our BRAND NEW 2000 BONNEVILLE'S. It is true, time really flys by!!
    Even though I traded in my 2000 for the 03 Grand-Prix- there have been times that I wish I still had the 2000 Bonneville. I know i've said it a few times on this board and the Grand-Prix board also that i still prefer my 98 SSE to the 03 Grand-Prix- (trading in the 2000- the price I paid to have lower car payments and still have a NEW VEHICLE.)

Regards,

Chuck
  • avuxavux Member Posts: 12
    Ok, I give up. Now tell me where the PCV valve is on my 93 SSE. Pleaseeeee.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    My 3800 93 had the PCV on the belt side of the engine right up against in the intake
    manifold... if I remember right. I was a vertical pipe area against the intake manifold with a cap on top. It does not look like they used to look. It had a 1 1/2 inch
    plastic top that had to be twisted hard to turn it to take off the cover. I think I had to push
    down to get it to turn as I twisted. The new GM PCV seemed just like the old one.

Hope someone else can be clearer. I'm doing this from memory since I did that years ago
    at 90K. Traded the car at 155 K 'cause my wife wanted the new 03 in Crimson Pearl (LeSabre)
    and the old car wasn't good. Ran Fine.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• avuxavux Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for your reply,
    I have seen that tube and cap but didn't want to break it when I tried to remove it. I'll work on it tomorrow, Thanks again.
  • lash92sseilash92ssei Member Posts: 35
    October 2003

• October 3-5, 2003, 2003 Pontiac/ Oakland/GMC Western Regional, Long Beach, CA. Sponsored by the Southern California Chapter of POCI at the Long Beach Mariott in Long Beach, California. For more information, contact: Chuck Abbott 949-362-1477; e-mail: Chasroy@cox.net, or visit: http://clubs.hemmings.com/sccpoci

• October 4, 2003, Pontiac-Oakland- GMC Trucks Show,Thornton,CO. Sponsored by the Colorado Chapter of POCI at Grand Auto, 2000 W.104th Avenue, Thornton, Colorado. Rain date October 11th. For more information, contact: Mike 303-708-9715 (evenings); e-mail: michael.g.kemp@att.net, or Bill Colburn 303-650-4663.

• October 5, 2003, 24th Annual All Pontiac-Oakland Car Show, Bogota, NJ. Sponsored by the Garden State Chapter of POCI at Sifford Pontiac-GMC, 250 W. Fort Lee Road, Bogata, New Jersey. For more information, contact: Steve Kiellar 201-652-5651 or Greg Pavan 973-471-5619.

• October 11, 2003, 16 Annual Drag Race Fun Day, Cordova, IL. Hosted by the Blackhawk Chapter of POCI at Cordova Dragway Park (CDP), Cordova, Illinois. For more information, contact: Dean 309-797-4985 or 309-788-7636; e-mail: deanfait@aol.com

• October 11, 2003, POW WOW at the Beach, Myrtle Beach, SC. Spon- sored by the Palmetto Chapter of POCI. Held at the Nascar Cafe in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. For more information, contact: Linda Bray 803-957-0481; e-mail: lbray@sc.rr.com

• October 12, 2003, 8th Annual All Pontiac Show, Houston, PA. Presented by the Western Pennsylvania Chapter of POCI in conjunction with Houston1s Pumpkin Festival. For more information, contact: Joe Wheat 412-922-0616 (9 a.m.-5 p.m. M-F), or Pete Rust 412- 833-1441 (after 5 p.m.).

• October 19,2003, 3rd Annual All Pontiac-Oakland-GMC Show, Greenbelt, MD. Hosted by the National Capitol Area Chapter of POCI at Capitol Pontiac-GMC, Greenbelt Road in Greenbelt, Maryland.For more information, call: John Gott 410-604-2577.

• October 26, 2003, 3rd Annual All- Pontiac Halloween Car Show, Fort Lauderdale, FL. Sponsored by the Hurricane Chapter of POCI at Pines Pontiac-GMC-Buick in Pembroke Pines. For more information, call: 305-648-0623, email: POCIHurricane@ATT.Net, or visit: www.SouthFloridaPontiacs.org
  • xavier64xavier64 Member Posts: 76
    Went to the dealer last week for an oil change and while I was waiting, I went to take a look to see how many Bonnevilles were in stock. There were 22 2003 models available and a few more used models as well. I would like to see Pontiac advertise a bit more on selling the Bonneville but it seems their focus is more on the Grand Prix.

Hope everyone can get out and enjoy the fall weather and treat one's Bonneville to some nice road trips.........sxb
  • fishing5fishing5 Member Posts: 2
    Who can recommend a good snow tire for the Bonny. It seems 18" snows are few and far between.
  • fishing5fishing5 Member Posts: 2
    Correction: 17" not 18".
  • bigred00bigred00 Member Posts: 13
    I may consider the lower control arm replacement since my '00 Bonneville SSEi has been vibrating for years. But only after I replace the front wheel bearing that is in the process of going($500 est) and also the stability control system sensor($200 est), which keeps making the SCS system cut-out and flash "service SCS system: on the diagnostic system.
  • ezraponezrapon Member Posts: 348
    After driving my new Denali for about 3 weeks, I can honestly say that I don't miss the ssei at all. My wife and I bought twin Yukons and neither of them have been near the dealership's service dept. The ssei practically lived in the shop. It made at least 20 visits for various reasons. They never did get all the rattles and squeaks out of it. The main reason I got out of it was questionable reliability. Front end problems, (steering) hoses, leaks, computer, DIC, sunroof, and heated seats 3 times. Not to mention the worst stereo I've ever had. There were good times when she was clean and whatever god controls the rattles smiled on me, but those times, I'm sorry to say were the exception rather than the rule. It did look nice, but when a car has that radical of a style, it tends not age well. BTW...I did drive a GTP before closing on the Denali. It was under powered, the radio was bad, and the interior was boy racer with a funky knob on the console for the HUd...tacky. I'm glad I didn't wait on the GXP. It would have been more of the same. I'd have to give the ssei a D- at best. It reminded me of GM cars from the mid 70's reliability and build quality wise. At least I didnt have to deal with the intake manifold insanity...Pontiac, back to the drawing board.
  • wolfpack2wolfpack2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all!

I'm brand new at this and I hope you can help me.

I have a 2002 chevrolet sedan with 29k. There's nothing wrong with it.

I was attracted recently to a 2003 pontiac bonneville at a local dealer with 22k. It's an SE model and very clean. The dealer is asking 16,900 for it.

I have never owned a pontiac and know nothing much about them. You guys seem to be real pontiac enthusiasts with much knowledge.

Should I trade? Will I be improving myself enough
     to warrant the cost of trading?

Please advise me and tell me what you might know about the bonneville and the differences beteen the two vehicles.

Thanks a million, and I'll await your replies!
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    Saw this posted on another board (sorry Edmunds, we do stray).
    Base Price $35,995 with destination. Options are the same as the '03 SSEi it looks like. HUD $325, Heated Seats $295, 12 Disc $595, Sunroof $1,100 and the two new ones, XM $325 and Tri-coat paint $750.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    Where did you find those prices??
    http://www.clubgp.com -one of the regular posters there works for a chain that includes a Pontiac dealership.
  • theicemantheiceman Member Posts: 736
    Man, this board is moribund...

Fishing, if it's not too late, I put 225-55-17 (V-rated) Nokian WRs on my '00 Bonneville a year ago and they were amazing and they've worn exceptionally well (20k miles on them already and they're still quite grippy). Easily the best all-season you can go with. Great in snow, excellent on ice and wet, decent on dry. Unfortunately, they didn't come in a 235-55-17 when I bought last year - but the 225 doesn't make that much of a difference. Don't forget: the Bonnie isn't exactly a slalom car.

If, however, you prefer dedicated winter tires, I don't have any personal experience to share but I'd consider the Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 or Blizzaks. These are both really good snows - from what I've heard and read.

Here's a link to an article on the Nokians: Canadiandriver.com
  • jeffbogjeffbog Member Posts: 63
    Learned a new word today, thanks ice. I'll try to help.

My 01 SLE has 30K. The stock RS-As are wearing well, but have dryrot around the rim and in the tread area. Never seen this so early. Anyway, they completely suck in the rain lately and suspect will not do well in the snow. I don't want to commit to a second set of winter tires and am thinking of purchasing Dunlop Sport A2s. Good ratings from Consumer reports and good reviews from Tirerack.

Hoping that owners that have already replaced their tires could reply with the brand and driving characteristics. Thanks.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    I replaced the OEM Eagle LS on my Intrigue still with some tread left because I couldn't stand the howl. After this noisy experience, I tried to narrow in a quiet tire, yet without sacrificing on handling on dry and on wet pavements.

As CR is pretty much worthless, wasting pages about winter tires when I live in TX and testing all-season ones from the perspective of a soccer-mom, through Tire Rack I zoomed into the Yokohama Avid Touring and the Bridgestone Turanza LS, both topping the list in their category.

As the price on the Yokohama was unbeatable, that's the one I got. Indeed, its quietness is incredible. It's also very smooth tackling bumps. Dry traction is good, but I've seen better. Wet traction is OK, but I haven't had a chance to try it in a down pour to see how well it avoids hydroplaning.

My brother actually got the Bridgestone and is very impressed with it. From what he says, it seems to have better dry traction than the Yokohama, but is as quiet. As he does live in the snow belt, soon he'll know how they are on snow and ice.

HTH
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6607&sid=18- 4&n=157

A pretty decent review. It does however, have a picture of a Grand Prix GXP concept and not the Bonneville GXP.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    I EMAILED THE WRITER TO LET HIM KNOW THAT....let's see what he says....LOL
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    There's rumors of Pontiac getting a new full sized RWD car along with Chevy and Buick. Based on the a new global 'Kappa' platform.
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    From the San Francisco Int'l Auto Show:

Can I get those and install them in my SLE?
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    Was there a window sticker on (or near) this car?
    Thanks,
    - Ray
    Wondering what MSRP is going to be - as well as actual selling prices . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    No price was shown at the auto show but Edmunds has prices for the GXP now. About $37,500 loaded (sunroof, CD changer, heated seats, HUD, XM Satellite Radio, trunk accessory kit). A little more for the tri-coat paint.
  • benjohnsonbenjohnson Member Posts: 21
    The latest news I see from Pontiac is that they
    have once again enhanced the 3800 and calling it a series III with 275 HP.

What part don't they understand? They need to release the beast in the Bonneville and pump in 300+ HP with a set of Michelin Pilots and we will all be happy. (That way we can increase it even more aftermarket!)

BTW - Anyone interested in purchasing a Modified ECM for a 2000+ SSEi?
    Isn't that the supercharged version of
    the 3800 workhorse?

• wesley1derwesley1der Member Posts: 49
    Anyone know when the GXP will be in production and than at dealers?
    Current GXP timetable calls for production to start around Jan 26th, 2004. Dealers will be betting them couple weeks after they roll of the line.
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    Those tips are made by CORSA Performace. You could call them up and see if they'd sell you just the tips. They make incredible exhaust systems.
  • jcz1jcz1 Member Posts: 36
    Anyone else notice that Pontiac's Build Your Own site lists the Northstar V8 as a no-cost option on the SLE? Edmund's does not, and a quick glance at inventories didn't show any with that engine around DC, so maybe the Pontiac site is in error.
  • wesley1derwesley1der Member Posts: 49
    I'm seem to be froze out on this board. I get no new up dates on this board or any of the other ones that I follow.
  • buddhabmanbuddhabman Member Posts: 252
    I was just looking at the Pontiac site at the new GTO when I took a look at the new GXP Bonneville. What a nice car, with the Northstar V8 upgraded suspension and brakes from the Seville. The mags need to throw this in a test vs the new Acura, Audi, BMW, Infiniti sport sedans. I think this might be the new undercover highway star.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    wesley1der - I'm sorry, but I don't know what you mean. Your post is the first one this discussion has had since Dec 8th. If you were expecting to find new messages after that, the reason you don't see them is that there haven't been any.

Are you saying that your subscriptions aren't working? If that's the case, try unsubscribing and resubscribing. (If you need help with that, check out the Town Hall Help file linked on the left side of the page.)

If you still need help, go to our News & Views board and post a message in the "Our Software" discussion at the top of that page. Be as specific as you can about what you are trying and what is not working.

Hope this helps!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    A reporter is hoping to interview someone who is planning to buy a new vehicle in the next three months. If you are interested, please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by January 1, 2003 with your name and daytime contact information.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bryanttarvinbryanttarvin Member Posts: 23
    Hi all,

Here is another Bonneville GXP review that I found. It is not very in-depth as far as an actual road test, but I thought that it would be worth mentioning. Read it at your leisure and post your critique of it, if you are so inclined.
    Just copy the web address below and paste it into your browser, if needed.

I am normally a 'lurker', but I have always liked the late 1980's and newer Bonnevilles. This one is the most exciting yet.

Thanks!

Bryant Tarvin

http://www.forbes.com/2003/12/16/cx_dl_1216vow.html
    Thanks for the link. The review seemed fair to me. The problem is that no one has actually driven one yet. The GXP was up for Car And Driver's Ten Best but since they couldn't get one to test it was nothing more than a footnote.

I couldn't get up close to the GXP I saw at the San Francisco auto show but I'm pretty sure the interior upgrades are really carbon-fiber, nickel and stainless steel looking plastic. The suspension has been tweaked but the only significant improvement that is more than just tacking on a different looking/sounding part is the motor. Otherwise this is the same old Bonnie. Looking forward to reading a review from someone who has actually driven the GXP, although I expect it will be a lukewarm reaction.
  • boonie80mphboonie80mph Member Posts: 3
  • boonie80mphboonie80mph Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone else experienced a noisy vibration noise in the right rear while idling or braking? After a few trips to the dealership and them not being able to duplicate the problem, I was finally told that it is a bad design; that there is no padding around fuel pump so it just vibrates and there is nothing that can be done! The car has 30,000 on it and the noise continues to get louder.

Any suggestions, comments?
    Is the noise continuous? The air compressor runs for the leveling system occasionally to correct height. I hear that occasionally on my 03 LeSabres. The pump runs for about 15 seconds. It runs after the car key is turned on (engine on or off). Just turn you key to on, and stand by the back right of the car. After 40 seconds you'll hear the air pump turn on, run up pressure as needed for height adjustment and turn off.

I'd be checking the piping under the car going to and from the tank. See if any of it is located where it can touch the body and transmit vibration to the body.

I can't hear a thing from the fuel pump in my cars. I've had 3 H bodies now.

I'd find out fast about the pump. It may be noisy and needing to be replaced under warranty BEFORE 36000 or 3 years. They may be stalling you.

I'd get under the car and have someone turn the key to on after I'm situated. The pump runs for a few seconds then turns off unless the engine is started. See if you can hear a problem.

Find someone with the same/similar car and check under theirs for noise -- or ask the service manager, salesman to let you compare noise with some of theirs on the lot. It's easy to crawl under yourself.

Make sure you have paper work on your noise complaints about the pump to demand solution if yo run over the 36000 miles.

Is it only me or no magazine dares pointing out that in another exercise in lack of creativity Acura lifted the style of its brand front end ( http://acura.com/images/tl/tl_gallpop_img2_ext.jpg & http://acura.com/images/tsx/tsx_gallpop_img1_ext.jpg ) from the Bonneville ( http://www.pontiac.com/bonneville/images/brand_ext_photo5.jpg )?
  • scscarsscscars Member Posts: 92
    Evandro, thanks for sharing the pics of the G/XP and the Acura TL and TSX. It looks as if there's more than just some petty styling larceny going on there with the Acura. The Bonnie's nose has definitely been "reinterpreted." The resemblance between the Bonneville SLE and the TL in front is even closer. Well, as the adage goes, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    It's been ages since my last visit here so greetings and best new year wishes to all. My 2000 SE now has 93K miles and is still going strong. Installed new brakes and tires (Mich Symmetry) last year and am due for a tune-up anytime now. I've been totally pleased with the driving and ownership experience witht his car over the 3 years since I bought it (preowned).

The tires I relaced, Goodyear Aquatreads, didn't wear as well as I had hoped; perhaps the Michelins will prove to be better.

I've started looking around for a possible replacement for the car this year. Another preowned Bonneville or Aurora would top the short list. Since my present car is a base SE, I'd prefer heated leather, sunroof and steering wheel controls on the next one. We'll see.
    Nice to hear your 2000 is still going strong!

Don't blame you for wanting to upgrade to HEATED LEATHER. I wish my 98 SSE had heated seats. Thats the one thing my wifes car(2003GP- GT ) has that i would love to have in mine.
    Any possibility of buying new? like in a 2004 GXP
    I know i'd go for it if the finances etc were there but it looks like its a big "NO WAY"
    right now.
    Hi Chuck

Nope - no new cars for me. At 25K plus miles per year I'm far better off buying a one or two year old car from the depreciation standpoint. I looked at my same model in a 2003 this weekend. The base SE model with 20K miles on it is priced at $14500. I paid $16K for mine 3 years ago so the market has softened since then becase of new car 0% financing and other incentives. A 2002 SE with heated leather, sunroof and more with 16K miles is presently on E-Bay for $12K and has met the reserve. Can't beat those kinds of pre-owned deals when you drive 100K miles in 4 years.

I may be tempted to buy my wife a brand new 2005 Mustang when they come out later. That's a far different driving situation.
    Ken, I see your point of view- thats what i did
    with the 98 SSE.When I purchased it in January 2002, -it had more miles(57,000) that the 2002 you mentioned on Ebay has, but i only paid around $11,000.00 for a car that went for over $29,500.00 MSRP in Sept 97. I let the other guy take the depreciation hit and got a damn good USED Vehicle.

*That car on Ebay looks like a real nice car**
    Good Luck with whatever way you go !!
  • theicemantheiceman Member Posts: 736
    Okay a little late but I'm now a stranger to this board. I'm still in my '00 SLE (w/ leather but heated seats were strangely not available on the SLE in '00) and still enjoying the experience. I'm only at 85k kms on the odo now (that's about 53k miles) so I see no reason to upgrade now. I've got my name down to spend 24 hrs with a GXP as soon as they get here (I've been told next month) so who knows if that'll give me the bug. Since I can buy at invoice AND use GM Visa bucks AND if there are incentives...

In any case, we lease my wife's car (her mileage is lower so a lease makes sense there) and her lease is up in spring '05 so there'll be room in our family for another vehicle. Unfortunately, she's eyeing an H2 and I'm seriously considering a '66 GTO vert. Next year's a while away yet, though.

I love the sheet metal and the powertrain on the new GXP and the G6 looks good too. It's nice to see the renaissance of Pontiac model by model. I still say they have a ways to go yet but the direction is damned encouraging. Unfortunately, pundits are predicting a continued rise in SUV sales and the large car piece is going to be an ill-fit in the future car market puzzle. We'll see what that's going to mean for the Bonnie. In the meantime, let's just enjoy ours.

Nice to see you around Ken - are you still at the ametek.com e-mail address per your profile here? If so, I might drop you a line.

happy new year all!

ice
This discussion has been closed.