Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• desertrat5desertrat5 Member Posts: 85
    mfahey1

What specific Michelin Pilots did you buy? I have an '04 SLE with what appears to be a similar vibration problem. In the three cars that I have owned, including the SLE, I have similar problems with Goodyears. In each case, replacement with Michelins has cured the problem. So I am anxious for the RSAs to wear out.

Thanks

Bob
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    I have an '02 SLE and experienced the dreaded vibrations too. After 2 trips to the dealer and 30000mls, I got a new preselected set of tires which resulted in minimal vibration.

Yet, as others, I look forward to 40000mls in the future to have the new set replaced. However, I think that Michelin is overrated and definitely overpriced. But 235/55R17 is a difficult size to find, leaving only Continental, Pirelli and BFGoodrich as alternatives.

Can anyone share his experiences with those brands?

TIA
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    "I got a new preselected set of tires which resulted in minimal vibration."

My service manager told me that the preselected (pretested or ram-tested tires) had a substantial amount of force variation possible in ones he had received. The Michelins were truer than the replacements of other brands he had received.

I believe he said they could have up to 17 lbs. force variation. My Michelins had 12 and under.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• hydrasportshydrasports Member Posts: 23
    Check out the BF Goodrich Traction T/A tires. These tires got great reviews on Tire Rack. I just put a set on my 2002 SE and they are a great improvement over the OE Firestones. These are uni-directional tires and can't be beat for the price.
  • batistabatista Member Posts: 159
    I too have installed BF goodrich T/A's and they appear to be much better than my OE Goodyear Eagle GA's. I only have 100 miles on the new set so I haven't had a chance to really test them (cornering & acceleration)since it mentions to go easy on the new tires for the first 500 miles. I would try tirerack since you can't beat their prices. I paid only $75US each for 225/55R17 and up here in Canada they are selling for $160 each at some places.
  • hydrasportshydrasports Member Posts: 23
    I buy GM cars and don't want to be negative, but it appears GM is unable to stop it's market share slide. At this point I would not worry so much about being able to buy a Bonnevile, but a Ponitac. The figures below were released today. I live in CT and have not seen one G-6 on the road and only 2 GTO's. People in this state don't buy Pontiacs.

"GM's business declined 1.4 percent in 2004, a disappointment given its industry-leading 29 vehicle introductions. Car sales were down 3.7 percent; truck sales rose less than 1 percent. GM's total sales for December fell roughly 7 percent, with losses on both the car and truck sides."
    The preselected Goodyear RSA that the dealer had installed were under 9 (I think oz., not lbs.) of variation. Yet, some asphalt ripples can resonate at the natural frequency of the chassis, thus the vibration.

I guess it's the price of a stiffer chassis, and the Bonneville has one of the stiffest in the market.
    You might look at the alignment. I noticed that on slight uphill grades with a little pull the tendency to react to ripples in the smooth interstate was greater. So they checked the front and rear alignments. They took a little toe-in off the front; uphill pulls tend to increase toe-in. That helped.

• scotishguy88scotishguy88 Member Posts: 3
    I agree with you regarding the lack of tires available for the 17in rims.

I have Mich MXV4-plus and I find they vibrate the car. I have had them balanced regularly but they always seem to vibrate. ALSO there is a feeling of movement in the rear of the car. It feels like someone is tuggin on the car side to side, and the grip on the road going over a bump is pour.

I bought my wife a pair of Widetracks for her Grand-AM and if they can in my tire size I would deffinitly get them. She had the stock BFG Control TA which sucked in the rain and snow.

I was told by GM that they only use the MINIMAL specs when choosing a tire for the manufacturing area. The cars today are only to have eaither a summer or winter tire. It is not manditory for them to provide a top of the line all season (which they should for a $45,000 car such as the BOnnie) It just blows my mind that thay are so cheep.

My main question is has anyone experiances similar problems with the stock tires as I have.
    Yes, the vibration does tend to be more noticeable when pulling up hill.

Thanks for the tip.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    "General Motors will decide in the next three months whether to drop the Pontiac Bonneville at the end of the 2005 model year.

The Bonneville decision is driven by the expansion of the Pontiac model line and the introduction of the 2006 Buick Lucerne, the replacement for the Buick LeSabre. Under GM's retail channel strategy, the automaker is pushing combined Buick-Pontiac-GMC dealerships to reduce product overlap.

But as you know, that large segment has continued to slide," Bunnell said. "We have a very strong LeSabre and a new Lucerne coming, so the question is, is this the best use of our resources?

"Frankly, from a dealer standpoint, does it make sense for the dealers to stock and floorplan both a Bonneville and a Lucerne, given products like the Pontiac Torrent, G6 coupe and Solstice" will be going into production in the next six months? Of GM's combined Pontiac-GMC-Buick dealers, 48 percent have all three franchises, according to a GM spokesman.

Additionally, the Bonneville and Grand Prix sedans overlap in terms of content and size.

Bunnell said the Bonneville will be assembled through June, but "beyond that we are not sure yet."

It will be interesting to see what happens. If GM is making any profit on Bonneville sales, production should continue into the 06 model year. Sometime during the 06 sales year when the Bonneville is no longer cost effective and profitable then it should be laid to rest. It is to bad that a new rwd vehicle is still some time away.
  • tripowergtotripowergto Member Posts: 83
    Bonneville sales were up 20% in 2004 to 30,000 cars even though it's on an aging platform, thanks mostly to the GXP model. Since development costs must have been recovered long ago why not continue the Bonneville into 2006 as long as sales remain stable? Offer the GXP at a much lower price and sales would likely increase possibly buying enough time for a RWD replacement.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Could you post a link to that quote?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Thanks. :)
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Hard to see how the large segment is sliding given the success of the Chrysler 300.

Although I've seen others lump the Grand Prix and the Bonneville together, it simply isn't true - the Bonneville is a more substantial vehicle.

I have an '03 SSEi and will grant that Pontiac could have done a better job with it. That said, it is still a fine automobile and, at the price I paid ($25,702 new on a $35,610 sticker), was a bargain.

Killing the Bonneville will just be one more in GM's never-ending series of mistakes.
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    I don't know if killing the Bonneville would be a mistake per-se. As noted, the large-lux market seems to be small enough that it could be well covered by Buick Lucerne and Cadillac STS. As much as I'd like to see a new (RWD) Bonneville, I agree that there is probably too much overlap across GM brands. What does GM gain by continuing the Bonneville if nearly half of the Pontiac dealerships offer an equivalent alternative? What would GM need to do to make the Bonneville more attractive to buyers?
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    The flip side is that means half of the Pontiac stores don't have a full-size model for their customers.

I don't agree that the full size market is all that small either. The 300 and Ford's products (and Toyota's Avalon) all seem to be doing fairly well).

Pontiac needs to make the Bonneville attractive to mainstream buyers by offering value and up to date styling IMHO.
  • gmhellmangmhellman Member Posts: 121
    The reason that I purchased a Bonneville was that it is a large family sedan that has been sporty long before large american sedans were sporty. I have a 99 sle black with leather and for being the same size as my mothers olds it is definitly sportier and more fun to drive. She even comments on how she likes the car more than her olds. I hope that GM deciedes to keep the bonny but make it a sport sedan...offer a v8 with a 6 speed...compete directly with the dodge charger. Dodge is taking heat from the nostalgics, but I think in the long run it will be a well if not good selling sedan. Plus if GM offers a good 6 speed manual/v8 combo, that dodge doesn't offer with the charger, will attract the enthusiasts. GM has a chance to truly make and exciting Pontiac...I hope that they don't screw it up.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    The Bonneville as it is currently known will die either after the 2005 or 2006 model years. It will be replaced for MY 2007/2008 by a new Zeta-based RWD car most likely called G8 (but possibly still Grand Prix or Bonneville), with V6 and V8 (LS4 - no more NorthStar) options.

Holden is doing the engineering on the new Zeta chassis (will be RWD with an AWD option, unlike their previous Opel-based chassis) Look at the current Commodore:

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/vehicleentry?vehicleid- - =4

The Bonneville replacement will be packaged similarly, but not have the same styling, and will ride on the new chassis.

The next-gen GTO will ride on Zeta as a coupe; the G8 will be the sedan variant. I believe the next-gen GTO is due as a 2007 model; don't know if the new sedan will be ready by then, or will be a 2008 MY car.

This is what I've heard on "another board"...
  • mfrankmfrank Member Posts: 1
    BONN WITH SLE PKG MOON ROOF LEATHER ETC LOADED PROBLEM CAR HAS RACK AND PINION PROBLEM PROBLEM STARTED WITH COMPUTER ON DASH READING TRACTION AND ABS OFF BUT BY TURNING OFF ENGINE AND RESHIFTING PROBLEM DISAPPEARS NO PROBLEM USUALLY TILL NEXT DAY

TOOK CAR INTO LOCAL MECHANIC AND IN ADDITION TO PONTIAC DEALER THIER COMPUTER READS OUT CODE 45 COS TO FIX 1500 DLRS PLUS PROBLEM WITH STEERING I HAVE FIXED PAST TWO YEARS REBUILT TRANSMISSION CRANKCASE ASSEMBLY NEW MICHELIN TIRES NEW WIRES NEWPLUGS NEW OXGEN SENSORS NEW GENERATOR ETC COST OVER 3000 DLRS CAR IS IN PRISTINE CLEAN SHAPE RIDES GREAT CAR HAS 66000 MILES VERY UPSET WHAT TO DO WITH THIS CAR

RETAIL CAR WORHT ABOUT 7500 DLRS

BEAUTIFUL SILVER BLUE METTALIC

VERY UPSET WHAT TO DO ANY IDEAS
    The Bonneville is scheduled to end 2005 production on June 6th. No 2006 model planned.
  • chapschaps Member Posts: 9
    Ray

I dropped the Bonneville off at the local dealer today as GM had to buy it back. It is really too bad as the GXP is really a nice driving car and up to the point the bone heads at GM refused to meet with me I would have gladly taken another. At the hearing the GM rep said the car wasn't that bad and maybe a couple of panels needed to be lightly scuffed and a little color sprayed on. Then he says whats the big deal the car is safe isn't it. I purchased an 05 Acura TL with nav and the a-spec body kit. Hopefully if anything goes wrong somebody will give me some respect as a customer. Good luck with your rides and remember it wasn't the car, it was the people who failed to support it. nberliboid.
    Only 734 sold in Jan.

Last year 2803.

That is the worst sales month for the Bonneville for at least the last six years.

I wonder what happened?? Maybe the incentives are too low?
    chaps, just wondering, did you go to BBB arbitration or hire a lawyer? When it was decided to buy it back, how long did it take to get the paperwork processed? I ask only because I had to get my GTO exchanged due to recurring issues (plus the new ones the dealer kept causing in an attempt to repair the car). I threatened BBB (bought via GM employee pricing, so no lemon law for me), but, after lobbying the dealer's sales manager and service manager, the local Pontiac rep, and some higher-up connections I made, they came to the decision to replace my car.

Overall, in 4 1/2 months of ownership, I drove the car for only 47 days. It had spent over 35 days in the shop, and then it took GM 54 days to process the repurchase/exchange paperwork (dealer had the replacement car 3 days after the decision to exchange). And, the GM exchange/buyback people were some of the most arrogant and useless to deal with (never called when they said they would, dates kept slipping due to no fault of mine (always returned their calls/got them the info they needed ASAP)). No one was apologetic - the prevailing attitude seems to be that they were doing me a favor. When in fact it's me doing them a favor by still being a customer, after this experience.

Quite frankly, the entire repurchase experience was completely distasteful and it has me questioning if I'll ever buy another GM car (and that's all I/my wife have driven for most of our lives). Don't see how GM can afford to take this attitude, given the war they're in to maintain/expand market share, rather than keep losing it...

--Robert
    The arrogance of the exchange/buyback people reminds me of my service manager's explanation (not excusing) for the arrogance in customer service re intake manifold leaks and EGR tube deterioration on my 98 3800 LeSabre. The lower management people are placed in customer service for a matter of months until they can be placed in a real job. So they DON'T CARE; they're leaving soon.

I had called in September and the next March there were no records of my phone calls and what had been discussed. Calls showed, but blank info. The people hadn't recorded the data.

Then the person who did contemptuously try to do something for reimbursement came up with no money but an $800 voucher good for the year on a new Buick. I had to accept or decline within the next 2 days.

If they had offered that the September before, I would have accepted, used it and felt great about their lack of product quality in a long-standing engine design. But I had just bought a new car months before they offered this. Why would I want another new car within a year and a voucher I probably wouldn't get to use.

My next GM will probably be a used one. I won't be paying for the hundreds of union workers who report to jobs in a room because they have no production job. Yesterday's newspaper had story about the workers GM has to pay for nothing. It's becoming a big cost for GM any time they close a plant or downsize production.

They could have cut those and many of the management people, starting with customer no-service.

OR maybe they could have those workers do customer service handling. They probably would be more sympathetic to real customer's problems and want to fix the problem not brush them off.

• chapschaps Member Posts: 9
    I signed and faxed to the BBB the acceptance Monday at about 10 am. About 2 hours later GM was on the phone making arrangements to take the car the following Monday, so 1 week for everything. In reading some of the above it seems GM thinks they can out write their losses by advertising and rebates. I had never purchased an import new before because I was a GM guy. I am not saying the same thing might not happen with Acura, but I do know now how GM will respond and I work to hard to send that kind of money to be treated by GM like that.

It is really too bad as the GXP is a nice car. GM doesn't seem to mind losing a customer like me, as you said they seem to think they were doing me some kind of favor. GM's market will continue to slide because of this type of treatment to it's longtime customers. When it is time to replace my 03 Z-71 suburban I will be looking at Toyota and Nissan. GM doesn't seem to realize I'm not the one who loses, I am driving a new car, just not one of theirs
    end in June. This is according to GMTV. There will not be an 06 model.
  • gunitgunit Member Posts: 469
    It is a shame of the Bonnevilles demise, but I can't say I'm surprised. In my opinion since 1997 there was no reason to buy the Bonneville as the Grand Prix has had the same 3800 drivetrain and almost the same size, and $4,000+ cheaper price tag. Bonny isn't much bigger in size, I have driven both cars. Grand Prix just misses being classified a full sized car by not much.

Bonny is 104 cu ft interior

GP is 98 or 99 cu ft interior Very close

The Grand Prix Comp GTP V6 6.5 seconds is still the same or faster then the GXP's V8. GTP is nearly $8k cheaper.

GXP MSRP $36,000

GTP MSRP $28,000

Base GT1 $23,720

Base Bonny $27,965

I would take the GTP for $8k less anyday, hands down or the base model GT1 for $4k+ cheaper anyday. Yes the Northstar V8 is more refined etc.. I had a V8 Aurora, but the V8 is NOT worth $8k more...

Rumor is that the Grand Prix GTP will be getting a V8 as an option in a year or 2 anyway..

Also fuel economy... GXP only gets 24mpg Highway, GTP gets 28 highway.. 4mpg is a big dif, and GTP is same or faster.
    Furthermore, if were going to spend around mid $30k, it would be on a HEMI 300C, not a Bonny GXP. My opinion. though as evidenced by sales.. 300C is selling very well and Bonny isn't.

Bonny priced itself out of the class

Not to mention that the HEMI 300C gets the same or BETTER highway gas mileage then the GXP and is nearly 1 second faster 0-60...
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    "Rumor is that the Grand Prix GTP will be getting a V8 as an option in a year or 2 anyway.. "

Not a rumor anymore . . .

GP GXP: 5.3L V8 303 / 323 HP TQ - and a bunch of other upgrades. Job #1 expected in late March. There is some information, including a press release (and a few pictures) from some time ago on the Pontiac web site.

- Ray

Waiting to test drive one . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Thanks for the clarification on that. I wonder #1, what the cost increase will be? #2 how will it drive, torque steer with front drive 300hp V8 in a midsized chassis? Personally I think that will be too much power for a front driver... I would like to see them return to a REAR DRIVE platform. I will have to DRIVE it as well.. can't wait.

I had a 1997 GTP coupe and now currently a 2002 GTP coupe with only 17k miles on it, sometimes the front wheel drive limitation rears it's ugly head especially since mine is modified to the tune of 300+ hp I'm not that hard on it either.

Too bad GM cancelled GTP coupe.. Otherwise I will have to pay more in 2007 and get a GTO, LOL! I know the Monte SS Supercharged is same car, but too nasty looking compared to GTP coupe in my opinion. Thanks for the info.

The V-8 in the FWD Grand Prix W-body is just a stopgap... the full-size car will be RWD, but not until the new platform is ready in 2007/2008. The W-body will be history shortly thereafter...
  • funnybunnyfunnybunny Member Posts: 5
    2000 SLE, 142,000 miles, a boatload of compliments from admirers, heck of a road car, very comfortable. Runs like a scalded dog, never failed to crank and go. Why did I buy a new Explorer XLT and never going back to GM ? They don't give a rip about anything once you sign the contract, or in Alabama, the " arbitration clause". Water in the floorboards and trunk all of the time is not the way a 30,000 dollar car should be. It is a head turner, though. I was thinking how cool a stainless steel exhaust could be when i bought the car, but they snuck a carbon steel one in on me when the original stopped up. Recall notice on the phlenum ? Sure...oh, by the way....500 to replace your EGR valve ( that was ruined by the stopped up catalytic converter. And, by the way, when they kept my car for three days and I rented the Explorer, don't i get reimbursed ? I drilled holes in the bottom of the trunk to let the water out, better than towing a lake. :)
  • fantascpfantascp Member Posts: 175
    Hi:

Have to disagree with the size of the cars here.I have a 98 Bonneville SSE and a 2003 Grand Prix GT-there is NO COMPARISON on interior comfort and room. The Bonneville can seat 3 childrens car seats in the back with no problem- (have lots of Grandchildren (LOL) Its a tight squeeze with the Grand Prix.Rear leg room is terrible on my WIFE'S Grand-Prix GT also.

Although they have the same 3800 Series 2 Engine, the Bonneville SSE has 205 hp -The Grand Prix GT

has 200- I know BIG DEAL, but 5 Hp is 5 HP! Also- IMHO- the Drivers seat in the 98 SSE is much more comfortable than the Grand-Prix- from day one(later part of 2002)- I still can not adjust the driver's seat where I do not end up with a sore back after an extended ride- The seat is just not as comfortable as in the Bonny.

You are right though, there is a big price difference- although I bought the Bonny in Jan 2002- I paid only $10,000 for her- it listed out in 98 for around $30,000. The Grand Prix was mid $20,000.00's

I guess it depends on what you want in a particular car- I love the HUD- the 9 way power seats etc. The interior room and also the feel of being in a bigger vehicle than the Grand-Prix. We traded a 2000 Bonneville SE for the 2003 Grand-Prix- my wife wanted to DOWN_SIZE- She regrets it now- she had the Split Bench seat in the 2000 and really misses it-

Bottom line here is I guess it does not matter what we want individually- Its all about the money!!!! There are vehicles out there offering more than what the $36,000.00 GXP has and for less.

I for one plan on holding on to the 98 Bonneville for quite some time ( only has 93,000 miles on her) and in 2006 trade in the Grand-Prix

(24,000 miles right now) and possibly buy a very low mileage Bonneville GXP or even an older SSEI.
    The '00 Bonneville is a tad smaller than the '98.

But, to your point, the Bonneville has better handling than the GP, though heavier. It's ride is also much quieter and more comfortable. At last, the extra cu.ft. do make a difference in shoulder and hip room, front and aft.

Here are the stats from GM's own Pontiac website for 2005 cars... very similar in size to me... Bonny not much larger as I stated previously.. I have driven both cars... Bonny gives you better ride-better seats, but it is also $5k to $8k more, it should for that huge price dif.

As for handling Comp GTP is just as good if not better then GXP... recent independent testing showed the GTP to even outhandle the Audi A6. I have driven both cars.. GTP to me seems more agile, more fun to drive, only negative is harsher ride and seats.

Both GP or Bonny are CRAMPED cars with 3 people in the backseat.. they are best suited for 2 adults in rear only. If you want 3 in a row for a long drive buy yourself a Lincoln Town car which is another 3 or 4 inches wider then even Bonny.

Length 202.6 Bonny, 198.3 GP

Width 74.2 Bonny, 71.6 GP

Hip 55.7 Bonny, 54 GP

Front Legroom is same

Rear Legroom 38 Bonny, 36 GP

Shoulder 59 Bonny, 58 GP

Head room, 38.7 Bonny, 38.8 GP

Trunk, 18 Bonny, 16 GP

Sales tell the story, Bonny sales are dropping where as GP sales have remained similar... For $35k you can buy a MUCH BETTER car then the Bonny GXP... Buy infiniti I35 for $30k to $32k range get free loaner cars for even ol changes and far better cust. service.
  • beer4799beer4799 Member Posts: 23
    in NJ. 2004 16K miles - base model asking $17K at a Chevy dealer. Let's face it, even though Bonny is going away it is a good used value if you are not paying the initial depreciation. 3.8L motor was terrific in my 96 Bonny. It can only be better in a 2004 (I hope!). I am seriously considering it as Hwy cruiser for work. Hopefully the IMG problem has been solved. I think the size is excellent and the 3.8L is a good balance between power and MPG. My $.02 Cheers!
    Dan:

I'm not questioning the 2005 figures- you said in your post #4220- that in your opinion since *1997*

there was no reason to buy a Bonneville instead of a GP because they had the same 3800 drivetrain and are almost the same size- etc. Maybe you should have said since the year 2000.

I said that my 98 Bonneville SSE has a bigger and larger interior than my 2003 Gt It also is larger than the 2005 GTP, and 2005 GXP.

Here are the figures for the 98 SSE

*1998 Bonneville SSE*

Length 203.10

Width 74.10

Front Hip Room 57.20

Front Shoulder Room 60.20

Front Leg room 42.60

Front Headroom 39.20

Rear Hip Room 56.90

REAR SHOULDER 59.80 * 5 inches larger than the 2005 GTP****(54.80)AND 2.60 inches more than my 2003 GT (57.20)

Rear legroom 38.80

Rear Headroom 38.30

Again I have NO PROBLEM seating 3 adults or 3 childrens car seats in the back of the Bonny, but no way in hell are 3 Adults going to be comfortable in the Grand Prix.

BTW - Thanks for your suggestion on maybe buying a Lincoln but a FORD is a FORD !!! and we all know a couple of lines for what F.O.R.D. stands for (LOL)

Total Passenger Volume for the 98 Bonny is 108.80 (CU FT)

My 2003 GT and the 2005 GTP Both have only 98 CU FT.of total passenger volume. Thats 10 CU Ft Diff.

When they re-designed the Bonneville for 2000 as Evendro mentioned, they made the interior cabin a little smaller than the prior generation from 92 to 99.

As I also said in my prior post- you are right in regards to Price and Sales-thats the bottom line- GM is not going to invest in something thats not making a profit- period. There are better vehicles out there for less- thats why I'm going to wait a few years and try and buy a low mileage GXP or even and SSEI- let the other guy take the depreciation hit! I,m not spending no $36,000 Plus on a new car.
    Fantascp,

In my comparison I was comparing the newest and latest GP vs Bonny size wise a 2005 GP vs a 2005 Bonny which are very similar.

Actually according to Consumer guide on the 2000 Bonny redesign... <<Pontiac redesigned its front-drive full-size sedan for 2000, again similar to the Buick LeSabre, with fresh styling but carryover powertrains. Wheelbase and overall length INCREASED by nearly TWO INCHES, but head room SHRUNK slightly and interior leg room was UNCHANGED>> That probably explains the cu ft dropping from 108 to 104? Headroom issue.

Also the Grand Prix interior shrunk also. My 1997 was 99 cu ft, my 2002 was 98 cu ft, it was a headroom issue... My 1997 felt like it had more headroom then my 2002 does..

I have had 3 adults in the back of my 1997 and 2002 GTP Coupes with no problems as well. A little tight, but manageable.. GP is only 2.5 inches narrower then Bonny. As for car seats that depends... A $300 List Britax Roundabout top rated seat is a pretty large seat.. might be hard to wedge 3 of those in, LOL! I only have 1 child.

BTW.. I am NOT a Ford or Lincoln fan.. but if I needed to constantly put 3 people in my backseat I would buy a Town Car, which is 4 inches wider then your Bonny and would fit 3 better.

You are right on getting a used GXP or SSEI, with their poor resale values they will make a VERY GOOD used car buy. I found this out the hard way... My 1995 Aurora which was $33k MSRP new in 1995, I traded it for only $7500 in 2000 in very good shape.. I was having many problems with it.

Traded it on a 2001 i30t at time which was cheaper in price then a loaded New Bonny and had LONGER warranty, FREE Loaner cars for even an oil change. Something you can't get at Pontiac Dealership. Also better RESALE Value and better reliability and much nicer interior.

As for Room, I30t is 102 cu ft... almost same as 104 cu ft Bonny.

They are all good cars in their own way... Too bad GM is Cancelling the Bonny, a shame. New Avalon just came out with 280hp, pretty impressive.. That is very expensive for a Toyota too at nearly $35k.

Thats my last comment on it... cheers
    Dan:

Valid points taken all around!!

I'm just going to make a few comments here as to why I feel that the demise of the Bonneville is totally the fault of GM .

1. As you said and I agree- GM OVERPRICED the Bonneville and they also did not keep up with the competition over the past 5/6 years.

Other car manufacturers were building more powerful engines etc and GM stood pat with its 205 and 240 HP engines.(Great engines but not exactly state of the art.)

2. Minivan and SUV explosion- families are buying these instead of full size cars.

3. *This is the most important reason to me *

GM and Pontiac Division NEVER PROMOTED THE BONNEVILLE with any extensive Marketing/Sales pitch- TV Commercials etc.

When was the last time anyone can remember seeing an actual BONNEVILLE TV COMMERCIAL?

The last one I can remember is back around 2000

with the "STOP ALL BLACK BONNEVILLE'S" in it- DUMB!!!!!!

When I went to test drive my 2000SE in March of 2000- the Pontiac Dealership did not have even ONE

Bonneville on their lot- they had to do a internet search between dealers to get the car.

I mean your talking about a NEW REDESIGNED Car in 2000 and they (GM) did nothing to promo the car!!!

They also have done almost nothing in promoting the new GXP when it came out last year- I mean here you finally have a Northstar V-8 engine put in the car and you market it ZIPPO!!!!!

It is a shame that this is going to happen but you know what- GM couldn't care less-

However,I would like to thank GM for one thing

ALL OF US BONNEVILLE OWNERS NOW HAVE A COLLECTORS ITEM -THANKS GM! :)

Regards:

Chuck.
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    I can't place all the blame on GM for the Bonneville's demise. Sure there are a lot of things one can point to, including their inability to keep up with the competition. I think the lack of marketing is overrated. If the car was really special it would practically sell itself. But in the end the market conditions no longer seem to be there to support the Bonneville, and market conditions for automobiles seem to transcend any single manufacturer. GM does care -- about their bottom line (hey who doesn't?).

Having said that, and considering the popularity of the 300C (which I agree would be a serious contender if I were to replace my SSEi), I think if GM comes up with a V8-powered RWD performance sedan in the high $20s to mid $30s, that would suffice as a "Bonneville replacement" in my mind.

I think my 2000 SSEi would be of more value as a "collectable" if it were parked next to a '58 Bonneville. ;-)

P.S. I wonder if anyone with a 6000 or Ventura considers their cars as collector's items? Just kidding!

Oh and one more thing -- The Detroit Free Press reports that GM claims to have enough demand for the Lucerne and new DTS to make up for the loss of Bonneville production at Detroit-Hamtramck. So there.
    GM did bump the 240hp 3800 up to 260hp for 2004 in the GTP. It it still the most powerfull midsized front drive famliy sedan in class with 280 torque. It's 260hp is only second to Maxima's 265. Competition wise it's right there..

Wards named 3800 V6 S/C 240hp engine to it's TOP 10 engine list of PAST 100 yrs.. not bad for an old pushrod engine, LOL!

That 5.3L Votech V8 GP should be interesting too.. depending on the price...

It would be nice if they can put the Caddy 3.6Liter DOHC engine in there with 250+ hp, Buick is putting it in their Lacross as an option which is the SAME W body as the GP. Why not?

I believe the rarest collector Bonny is the 1957 Bonneville Convertible with mechanical Fuel Injection, very rare and expensive collector car !!

I PERSONALLY own a 1958 Chevy in very good condition.
    > I PERSONALLY own a 1958 Chevy in very good condition.

Tell me about your 58 Chevy!!!

Mike:

That was said " Tongue - in- Cheek "

Whats one person's treasure is another persons junk! (LOL)

Seriously, I'd love to be able to get a pristine 65 Bonneville- that year is my favorite-

Keep watching Ebay etc. Maybe someday it'll happen
    It's a 4 door 1958 Chevy Bel Air police car. 230hp 283 CID 4bbl carb, dual exhaust glass pack V8 with 3spd manual shift on the column. Manual brakes & Steering. Boy is it a bear to steer that car at low speeds. It has prett good acceleration even by today's standards. The 4 drums could be better, it stops ok. The car was featured at the beginning of the movie "Riding in Cars with Boys with Drew Barrymore.

My Mother in law has a 2 door 1958 Chevy Impala Convertible with the 280hp 348 V8, dual exhaust and 2 spd automatic, power steering. Nice car.
  • thusrtonpthusrtonp Member Posts: 23
    Speaking of sales volumes, where can one find monthly sales by model? I can readily find sales by make (GM, Ford, etc. and even brand such as Buick, Pontiac, etc.) but can not seem to find info by model type, such as GP, Bonnevile, G6, etc. Anyone have a link to that info?
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    I bought my 2000 SE as a 6 month old former rental unit with 18K miles in Jan 2001 for just under $16K. Now 4 yrs and 100K later I have been mostly happy with the car save for tire vibrations that have finally been cured with new Michelins. The car has served my carpool and family well and will be passed on to my kids who are now learning to drive. The huge depreciation hit on Bonnevilles makes them one of the best used car values - in fact the identical 2004 SE models to what I have are on my dealer's lot for $14K now - an even better deal than I got.

I'm glad to have had the opportunity to own this car which I had admired as a kid. Like Chuck - I still love those 65-66 mammoth Bonnevilles! It's a shame that Bonneville is going away but I'm very glad to have had one before their demise.

My new ride - a blue 2005 Mustang V6 Premium has been on order since October and is finally scheduled for build next week. That and our old Suburban for winter driving will take me through the next few years.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    For GM, they usually release sales data the first couple days of the month. They have charts broken down by model. Check out thier media site for each month's press release.

http://media.gm.com
This discussion has been closed.