Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Bonneville

Comments

• bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    I believe that Bonneville production has now ended. RIP.
  • tripowergtotripowergto Member Posts: 83
    It's quite sad that a successful model in continuous production for 48 years dissappers without any fanfare whatsoever. What a sad ending to an enduring American Icon. :(

I hope the last few produced were GXP models.
  • mgm1mgm1 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased 1150 miles ago and after 5 trips to dealer they still have not solved "loud radio static type" noise emanating from either serpentine belt or power steering pump. Noise most prominent when cold, dissipates upon warming but still present intermittently. Runs smoothly otherwise. Local dealer has elevated to "GM Technical" and has asked me to be patient and await fix. Seems odd and disconcerting that the well-tested and time-used "Northstar V8" would have such a problem. Does anybody have information on this issue? Thanks.
  • tagtatagta Member Posts: 4
    Hey Bryan..... I have an 05 GXP Great car. I am having a problem with a rattle in the head liner. The dealer is still trying to get it right.... However they did change my front brake pads to ceramic. That cut the dust issue in half... It is a great car.... total sleeper.. took out Mustang GT last week If you can, let me know how your dealer fixed that rattle..

CYA

Mike
  • bryanbryan Member Posts: 198
    Hey Mike. Congrats on your GXP--yep, awesome car. What color did you get?

As to the rattle, here is the language on my paperwork:

Problem: There is a tapping type of noise coming from the roof area behind drivers head, seems to be worse after driving a while like tempearature affects it, Bryan can duplicate the noise by pushing on the headliner

Cause: Misaligned
    B2720 Checked for tapping and found headliner around sunroof loose, correctly installed and test drove, is OK at this time
    507 WB40
    FC: 3A Part #: Count: 0 (N/C)
    Claim Type:
    Auth Code:
    NY

Don't know exactly what the codes above mean, but perhaps your servicing dealer will? Anyway, hope you can get it resolved, and enjoy your ride--the care simply brings a smile to my face every time I drive it. Enjoy!
  • bunky36bunky36 Member Posts: 94
    I thought this board was dead for awhile there. Bonneville production may have ended, but there are still a lot on the road. Sorry to hear that some folks are having GXP issues. My 'black 04 GXP has 25k miles on it now, and the only problem I have had with it was the need to have the internediate steering shaft replaced at about 8k miles. I get 18 mpg around town and 23 on the highway. Not as good as my former V6 SSEi, but more or less acceptable given the fun the car is to drive. I agree with Bryan--I smile every time I drive it. One feature I have really grown to like is the suede seat inserts. It was 107 degrees yesterday, 120 in the car when I got in, and while warm, the suede doesn't burn you like the leather does. Same for the winter--the suede stays flexible and doesn't get as cold as the leather. My initial concern with the suede was that it would show wear and get soiled. Neither has happened. :)

Say more about the ceramic brake pads. The brake dust on the front wheels gets kind of annoying.

Bill
  • jaxjohn1jaxjohn1 Member Posts: 1
    tagta,

I have the same problem with excessive brake dust on the front wheels of my '05 GXP. What did you do to get the dealer to replace the pads with ceramic. I need to address this issue with my dealer.

JaxJohn
    I plan to discuss this issue with my dealer in the next few weeks when the car is due for its 12,000 mile service. The dealership GM is aware of the issue--he is the one who mentioned putting on ceramic pads, so I'll let you know if I am able to get any resolution. Wonder who will be paying for the ceramic pads??? :P
  • coderedcodered Member Posts: 43
    hello

i have a 01 se with a trans at goes in gear hard......... any help would be great
  • jamicjamic Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same issue.. how much did it cost for them to put a new passkey system in?
  • gman3200gman3200 Member Posts: 1
    Currently own a 2000 SSEI with a modified pully, 3.4" compared to the stock 3.8".
    Must say the car is very fast at highway speeds, with the new pully it has a forward thrust like a V8. The handling is great, very safe car in the rain. However, after owning two sedans from Japan, a 97 maxima GXE stick shift and a 96 Acura TL 3.2, the SSEI is a big disappointment. The reliability of that car compared to the cars from Nissan or Acura is horrible. Yes it is faster, handles better, and more enjoyable, but at 75,000 miles, I have had it with this car. I don't think it is a lemon just a typical GM car. Two back windows stopped working, passenger side heated seat stopped working, oil pressure gauge does not work, fuel gauge does not work, had both front wheel hubs replaced at 56,000 miles. The Maxima I sold at 130,000 miles never had to service it, other than oil change. The Acura I sold at 104,000 miles and besides oil change had to do a drive belt service at 90,000 miles. So to see that your car has never been in the shop very lucky man.
  • tagtatagta Member Posts: 4
    Brian Thanks for your response... I will pass it on to my dealer... To answer your question my GXP is a new color this year... Cranberry Red Metallic With the Taupe Trim.... The color is HOT I got it in November and I just turned 4500 miles (I have a Company car) What color is yours ?? You can write me at MJNDCB1995@aol.com if you would like...
    Mike
    My GXP is graystone with gray interior. I've had it since May '04. Just a blast to drive! I hope your dealer is able to take care of the rattle in your sunroof--little annoyances like that can certainly detract from the driving experience.

Now, if I can just get the rattle in by Aurora's sunroof taken care of--it has been fine for over a year now, but it's back with a vengence. Funny thing with that car is that when the sunshade is open, no rattle.

Hope you enjoy many many happy miles with your GXP--I know I am. :shades:
  • bunky36bunky36 Member Posts: 94
    This board sure has fizzled out. Seems like it started going dormant right after GM killed the Bonneville. But there are still lots of us with Bonnevilles. My black 2004 GXP has 30k miles on it now, and it is still a hoot to drive. Not as fast as the series of Trans Ams I have owned, but fast enough for a heavy FWD sedan. The only problem I have had with it is the internediate steering shaft--replaced twice because it developed a popping sound when turning. I regularly get 18mpg in town and 23mpg on the highway. I've been lurking over on the Buick Lucerne board since that car with the Northstar will probably come closest to the GXP when I get around to replacing my GXP in a couple years.
  • bdreggorsbdreggors Member Posts: 143
    It's insane. First it was Bonnie vs. Bimmer, then GMs used as taxis. Someone said something about
    "getting what you pay for" when you buy and expensive car, I countered, then someone mentioned the Cadillac Catera and its Catera Arguement Time! Well, from the looks of it it seems to be turing to pushrods vs. other engines.

Well, back to the frontline...reinforcements?!? :)
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    It's hard to believe five years-plus have come and gone since the last Bonneville was introduced and since I took delivery of my 2000 SSEi. I still have it and I still enjoy it very much. It may not be cutting edge these days but it still turns heads. Maybe because there are so few on the road. The other day a passenger in a car that passed me in the left lane was straining her head in what appeared to be an attempt to identify my car from the front. She had that "what is it?" look on her face.
  • tripowergtotripowergto Member Posts: 83
    The Bonneville GXP is a much sharper looking car then the new Buick Lucerne that basically replaces it. I still can not believe a car in continuous production for nearly 50 years disappears to absolutely no fanfare whatsoever. GM ignored this model and thus so did most of the public.
    While it's a shame the Bonneville died an unnoticed death, Americans have become indifferent to brand legacy. Most people said good riddance to Oldsmobile and it's stodgy image, without respect for the improved products (including the Aurora) they put out in the final years. The automotive market is increasingly competitive, and large domestic sedans are lowly members of a struggling industry. The Bonneville became irrelevant to the American automotive culture, it's not GM's fault. It was time for them to move on and reallocate resources; the stakeholders demand as much.

Hopefully some automotive scribe out there will compile a tribute to the Bonneville, some nice fat, comprehensive glossy color tome with lots of historical photos and behind-the-scenes tidbits. I'd be among the first in line to buy a copy.

And maybe -- perhaps -- in 20 years someone will cruise Woodward Avenue in a 2005 GXP and it will kindle fonder memories of the Bonneville's legacy.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    “And maybe -- perhaps -- in 20 years someone will cruise Woodward Avenue in a 2005 GXP and it will kindle fonder memories of the Bonneville's legacy.”

I think that part of the reason the Bonne died was because of the failure of the GXP version. I looked at the Bonne GXP when it first arrived at a local dealer. I liked most everything about it, except:
    1) It was not (and did not feel) ‘quick’.
    2) The EPA mileage ratings (largely due to the 3.7:1 final drive.

So – I waited – and recently bought a Grand Prix GXP.

If the Bonne have been & felt as quick as my GP GXP, and posted (even close to) similar EPA mileage ratings, then I’d likely have purchased one . . . 17 / 24 with acceleration numbers like 0-60 in 6.9 and the Quarter in 15.4 at 91 (C+D) just did not impress me.

[ For comparison: The C+D numbers for the Grand Prix GXP are 5.7 and 14.3 at 98. That is a sufficient difference that is obvious to those attuned . . ]

I really like Torque. Great, steaming piles of low speed Torque. And low RPM at cruise.

And I am still curious, now that the Bonne is out of production, if Pontiac will explore an ‘upmarket’ interior for the GP. I’d have seriously considered options like a power tilt & telescope steering wheel, cooled as well as heated front seats, a rear seat center armrest, etc.

Or perhaps Pontiac will be the next GM Division that is ‘sacrificed’. . .

[Swing and a miss – strike 3 for the Bonne . . ]

Not that 1 sale would ever revive or kill a Model, but it does help.
    - Ray
    Happy GM customer – at least for now . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    I, too, looked at a GXP back in May of 2004 when, combining incentives, GM Card earnings and bonuses, and GM Employee pricing (mother-in-law is a retiree), I could have purchased a fairly-loaded Bonnie GXP for around $26k + TTL. I had the same impression as Ray - the car did not feel quick (my '98 Aurora felt faster), and the interior left something to be desired.

The Zeta-based RWD G8 was supposed to take the place of the Bonnie and uplevel Grand Prix models (the G6 was to handle the lower Grand Prix models), but, as we all know, it got canceled. Too bad, it would have been a great car. Picture this with the twin Pontiac kidney grilles, and there's your G8:

Current Aussie Wheels Magazine cover
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    So came winter and the driver's heated seat doesn't work. When I flip the switch to turn it on, the light comes on and then goes out in a couple of seconds. :cry:

I was going to check my Intrigue's service manual to troubleshoot it, but I was wondering if anyone's had the same issue.

TIA
  • jh777jh777 Member Posts: 1
    I just started having the exact same problem with the driver's side of my 2001 SSEi. I checked the fuse found under the rear seat, but it was good. When I press the button I can hear a relay under the driver's seat. It's probably a temperature safety switch that isn't working, but I don't have a service manual that might confirm that. If I figure something out, I'll post it. If anyone else has an answer, please post it.
    Jeff
    Not a fuse, not a switch. The heating element in the seat cushion is bad. Common problem apparently. Sitting on it causes it to flex and break. It used to be that the entire seat had to be replaced! Now GM has a bulletin on this. I think it involves installing a new element over the old one.
  • kidsdad1kidsdad1 Member Posts: 1
    We are also having the exact same problem with our drivers side heated seat on our 2001 Bonneville SSEi. Do you have any more info. on that GM Bulletin or a part #. I would like to fix this if I can get some more info.

Thanks!
    Service Bulletin for 2001 Bonneville was 01-08-50-012B MAR 05 Interior - Front Heated Seat Inoperative/Cold.

Part number for the repair kit is 25730797. List price is $105.26 but can be had for much less from an internet parts supplier. According to the bulletin the labor is about 1.3 hours per seat and this doesn't look like a do-it-yourself job either so the repair will be expensive. Good luck.
  • mcrokermcroker Member Posts: 8
    Hey Joe, question - I was reading about you painting the rotors, how is it holding up?

Thaks
    Mike
    Hey Guys, I just recently purchased a beautiful 04 Red GXP.. 19K mi Loaded - What a nice ride, my wife and I have wanted a Bonneville for years now and finally! Love it, I really enjoy the posts, tips, suggestions and expierences -I am very intersted in any solution to front brake dust - war on front brake dust! I do want to get the Northstar badge for the rear end, that really looks nice and compliments.. a little pi$^%^% now, we got rear ended last weekend.. sick.. but not much damage. Will need a new lense and new bumper..hopefully paint will match and be close..

MC">
    What type of Zaino do you use for the brake dust issue?

Thanks
    Mike
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    My 03 LeSabre doesn't generate much dust. It's like they used ceramics at the factory. At 19K has it had a brake job done on it already? Replacing with the longlife or regular replacements from auto parts suppliers will give a really dirty brake dust. I did that before.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Yes when I bought it it had just been done, do you recommend ceramics?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    My ceramics by Bendix on 98 generate a little more dust than the new ones on 03 by GM from the factory--whatever they used. The 03 has the chrome wheels and the dust looks gray. The 98 has the alloy wheels with a rough surface and the dust looks darker.

The person who did the brake job probably used a standard brake pad for long llife. Use an OEM to keep the same brake feel the original car had. My 98 had Raybestos replacements on it. They made the pedal harder. When I put Bendix on, there was more grab and pedal didn't need as much pressure. Your rear brakes are pads also aren't they?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

yes correct, and the aluminum wheels will work you to death keeping it clean..especially with those big 18 in wheels staring at you
    what kind of Zaino?
    thanks Mike
    Bill your car is beautiful, GEORGEOUS! btw - what is a GTP? Also per the Northstar badge, is it a stick on? AND How do I post a pic of mine in the posts like what you did here?

Thanks Mike
  • topdown73cattopdown73cat Member Posts: 1
    My Pontiac dealer has been trying to fix my 02 Bonneville heated seats for over a year now. Good luck if your's are cloth! Ours has had nothing but burnt cloth after four different repairs including new upholstery each time. GM tech assist is a joke. They have no idea what is wrong with ours and pretty much washed their hands of it. It is normal temperature they tell me and we have the outline of the element permanently etched in the material again. If your's is leather, you might be in luck. the leather won't burn as easy!
    An update: with time, the vibration worsened. I thought it was because of the tire having shifted around the rim, so I took it to the dealer for another road-force balancing. No dice, the tires would balance...

A few weeks later, a tire got damaged on the side wall and I decided to bite the bullet and get a new set, hopefully eliminating the vibration with a brand other than GY and avoiding damaging the bushings and shocks in the long term.

I tried Continental Conti Premier Contact and besides being less grippy than the OE GY, they didn't balance either! :sick: After a week, the tire dealer decided to replace one tire, which I'm still waiting for.

I'm leaning towards returning the Continental tires and trying perhaps Michelin or even Pirelli. Someone has said that the MXV4+ are no good either, but perhaps the Pilot are. What model specifically for the 255/55R17 size?

TIA
  • erichthecatterichthecatt Member Posts: 37
    I purchased a 2005 bonneville gxp, and the fuel mileage sucks. I average about 21.5 - 22.5 on a trip, keeping it around 70mph. My last car was a 2000 seville sls with this same northstar engine, and id get about 26-28. I know the gearing is different with my gxp, but does anyone know if theres a way to improve the mileage? I've intalled 2 flowmaster "hushpower 2" mufflers, for a "mean growl" which is surely has, but the mileage didnt change. what else can i do? i have 9500 miles on the car. I'm considering taking a loss, and going back to cad, but just thought i'd see if anyone knew of anything. Also, that brake dust on the front wheels sucks, but at least theres no hiss in the interior!! Thanks from Bakersfield..GAry
    I have a 2004 Bonny GXP. I took a 2,000 mile trip over the Christmas Holidays. I set the mpg setting when I left. While most of my driving was open highway, running betweeen 60 to 73 mph on cruise depending upon speed limits, at least 150 of those miles were in stop and go traffic as a result of interstate construction zones and around town driving. My average mpg for those 2,000 miles was 23.5. Not too shabby considering I punched it several times passing trucks and such.
    Even after getting a replacement, these Continental Conti Premier Contact are worse than the OEM GY Eagle RS-A. When cold, the wobble is quite noticeable even at speeds as low as 30MPH. They're going back to Continental.

In their place, I'm getting Michelin MXV4+, a total premium of $100, which I hope will be rounder than both.

According to Tire Rack, the Michelin should fare slightly lower than the Continental, and this, although quieter and smoother, cornered worse and had lower dry traction than the OEM GY.

The guy at the tire store was intrigued that the vibration was more evident when pulling instead of coasting, hinting at something else wrong with the car. But given that many had this problem and took their cars to be looked at, I guess that it's pretty certain that it's the tires to fault. Or so I hope... :sick:
  • dmalkin2dmalkin2 Member Posts: 1
    My mother has a 1983 Pontiac Bonneville in pretty good shape a little rust but very little, it has about 49,000 miles on it, equipped with power seats, power locks, power windows in front and back, power vent windows for back seats which I have never seen before, air that works, velvet seating. She never goes any where since my father died 24 years ago, What would a car be worth today. :D
  • ravenfiveravenfive Member Posts: 6
    Mike,
    So far it has worked well. I am currently deployed in the Middle East, so the GXP's been sitting in the garage for the last 11 months (except for once a month when my wife is allowed to drive her). When I was home on leave in February there was a little rust, but it was rust that had leached from the friction surface, and it wiped off easily. When I get home I'm going to do the same thing with her GP GTP, as it has a little rust on it also.

Joe
  • 87bonneville87bonneville Member Posts: 3
    :confuse: Odd problem. Car runs GREAT at anything over an idle! But taking off from a stop, or just idling it stumbles and runs rough sometimes. Especially when headed uphill. When I put fresh gas it in goes away for a while, maybe an hour or two, but after that consistently does the rough running at idle speeds only. And again, especially when pointing uphill. ANY ideas as to what causes this problem? Thanks for any help you may suggest.
  • erichthecatterichthecatt Member Posts: 37
    I had sorta the same problem on my 84 cadillac. It was the egr valve. I just unplugged the vacuum until time to do the smog check. Try it, and see what happens.
  • jredfieldjredfield Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2000 bonneville ssei. Does anyone know if E-85 fuel is safe to use?
    Joe I had mine brushed off at the dealer and so far so good, that has been about 7 weeks ago, I've had a couple lights go out in the dash, both seat warmer light indicators have been replaced, I had a leak in the passenger floor, one of the lines form A/C condensation was stopped up, on of my cd/radio lights went out, they replaced the unit, so far I'm happy. will need tires with in 6 mos, probably will try Michelins..many thanks to you for the job you do!

Mike
    Unless it says so in the owner's manual and in the fueling cap, using E85 will corrode everything it touches, from the gas tank to the engine's internals, causing irreversible damage.
  • bryanfsu2002bryanfsu2002 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all i just bought a 2000 SSEI and i was wondering if a drop in k&n helps the gas milage out. And what type of mileage should i be getting.
    After 6 months and about 6000mls riding the Michelin MXV4+, I'm glad to say that the vibration is still very little, though not imperceptible.

The tires are OK, with competent cornering and grip. They definitely excel at ride and noise comfort. I haven't pushed their capabilities on wet pavement, but they inspired confidence. As the cold weather approaches, I'll see how it deals with less than perfect pavement conditions.

However, they do vibrate more noticeably for the first couple of miles until they warm up. Of course, not as a pronouncedly as the Continental Conti Premier Contact which wobbled like an amusement park ride. If they did, they'd be sent back to Michelin like those were sent back to Continental.

I've read posts here and there that suggest that this happens to other cars outside of GM's orbit too, including to some hyped German cars. In the future, I'll try to stay away from 17" rims...
  • hydrasportshydrasports Member Posts: 23
    I finally gave up on my 2002 SE. Yep my car was a leaker fixed that coolant leak multiple times, replaced multiple guage clusters and intermediate half shafts all on GM's dime. However, when I had to pay for another intermediate half shaft and a passenger side front power power window; THEN the coolant leak started again. Just went to CarMax and sold it with 68k to get rid or it. I expected better from a GM full size sedan; "once upon a time" they really knew how to build em.
  • xavier64xavier64 Member Posts: 76
    I am looking for some new tires in the near future and does any one have a reccomendation for a good all season tire. I know the past others have liked Nokian tires and I'll see if they are available in the Philly area. Due to taking public transit, I still have the original Firestones which have have done well but I am concerned more with the age of the tire than lack of tread. I have only 35,000 miles on the car but plan some long road trips this spring and summer. I understand no tire can be all things and for me, traction in rain/snow are the most important.

Thanks....sxb
This discussion has been closed.