Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar S-Type

Comments

• sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    I am looking to aquire an S body 3.0 with all the goodies. I have been told by the dealer the lease rate is less on a 6 vs an 8 of similiar priced vehicles (loaded six vs a std. 8). Anybody want to share what their lease payments are or what I should expect to pay? Also, are there any options you wished you had gotten or wished you did not waste your money on? Anyone have a particular dearler in the east who gives out a good deal. Thanks
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    The lease on a 3.0 vs 4.0 2002 would be a better deal on the 3.0. However you should be able to get a heck of a deal on a 2001 4.0 left over if you can find one. The chances of finding a leftover 3.0 are basically non existant.
  • karzzkarzz Member Posts: 151
    'Everybody' left Edmunds for a different Jag board many, many months ago. What a difference, www.jagtalk.com is MUCH better than Edmunds. The discussions are much more civilized and 'trolls' are almost non-existent.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    My "where is everybody" was misposted. I thought I was in the LS forum and couldn't understand the lack of posts. I didn't realize it until a week later!
    Be warned S-type R is coming sooon to a Jaguar dealer near you
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    and what, pray tell, will the "R" have that is different from the others???
    A 400 hp supercharged 4.2L engine - that's what!
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Was at another Jag sale today...

They are stillpulling very strong $$...

Looks to me like 00 S-Types are holding their resale values better than 00 Lexus GSs or 00 BMW 5ers or 00 Mercedes E-Classes.

Nice :)
  • rayh3rayh3 Member Posts: 38
    They are going very strong retail here in So Cal. The scarcity of 3.0 new S-types (our store has only 1 left) has spiked demand for the certified pre-owned cars. Reason for the shortage of new cars.....rumored new interior redesign, upgrades to V6 and transmissions.
    Both the V6 and V8 are scheduled for more power via larger displacements (3.3 and 4.3 were rumoured but the R is 4.2 so who knows?). Should be good for another 25-30 hp or so.
    Yeah, the Silver ones in particular were through the roof yesterday at the sale here.

I bought 2 for me, one is already sold, the other is "If its as you say it is I'll take it" type of deal.

It is and he will (I know the guy).

ough thing is getting ones that arent ex-rentals or dont have like 40K miles. Even a Meteorite/Ivory (IIRC) with 42K on it broke $27K I think. 00 3.0 PM/Spt

Bill
    I heard 4.3L for the 400+ HP super charged moter, but 4.2, 4.3 no big difference. The big deal is it will be quick. Will probably also come with 18" wheel and like other "R"s all the goodies. Also over the next few years the X-Type DVD nav will become the standard Nav in all JAG's
    The report I saw (forgot which magazine) said 4.2. I was also expecting 4.3. It's possible the standard engines will be 4.3 but they could have changed the pistons slightly for the supercharger and lowered the displacement. And yes, it does have the 18" wheels.
  • mjkeen5mjkeen5 Member Posts: 3
    With 30K miles, the Pirelli's are getting low on tread. I'm thinking about replacing them with Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons. Any thoughts?
    I just had one of the Pirelli's literally disintegrate, but their is a 4-6 week wait according to Michelin, so I may stick with the Pirelli's. There doesn't seem to be much choice out there.
    Mike
    What a coincidence - I just put a set of Pilot Sport A/S on my Lincoln LS about a month ago. I ordered mine from Costco for $212 each (235/50R17) plus $7 mounting, balancing and road hazard/flat repair. Same price for the tires as tirerack within $1. I'm partial to Michelins anyway but so far I love these tires. The LS came with Firestones that were developed specifically for the car and handled great - but were just a bit harsh on less than perfect pavement. I can't compare to the Pirellis. They give a very smooth and quiet highway ride and they supposedly are even better in the wet. But here in Atlanta it's just now raining for the first time in 40 days so I can't compare that yet. Dry grip may be slightly less than the summer performance tires but that's the penalty for all-season capability and longer treadwear (400 rating versus 220 for the Pilot Sport summer version). But you would have to really push the car hard to notice the difference. I highly recommend them (or the regular pilot sports for maximum performance).

Another option would be the MXM4. It's OEM on the T-bird and will be OEM on the LS going forward. A little more all-season and less performance for a little less $$ but sounds like a good tire also. Tirerack.com has a lot of info and comparison tests.
  • cfgrosscfgross Member Posts: 54
    I took delivery of a 2002 S-Type 4.0 Sport about 3 1/2 weeks ago, and it is equipped with 17" Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires, not the Pirellis which had been the standard tire for the sport equipped models. I have about 1600 miles already on the car, and think the tires are super.

Apparently Jag has finally concluded that the lion's share of the shimmy problems with the S was caused by the tires, and all new S-Types with sport are getting the Michelins. Check Jagtalk.com for a very thorough discussion on the tires, but in a nutshell, the Pirellis were designed with European drivers (who routinely drive well over 100mph on the highways in Europe) in mind. At very high sustained speeds, absolute top performance is required if you don't want to end up a road pizza. The cost of such high performance is a noisier, less comfortable tire. At the more common US speeds (70-90mph) the same level of performance is not needed. The Michelins were designed with the US driver in mind. Much better comfort, without significant loss of performance at American highway speeds.

Unless you live in Europe or like to outrun state troopers on the highway, you are much better off with the Michelins.
  • lyhellolyhello Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I just got my 01 jaguar 3.0 type S without the owner manual (lost). While I'm trying to find one. Can anyone please tell me how to set the garage remote control and the digital clock of the car?

Your response is greatly appreciated.
    The HomeLink is easy..

Unless you have a rolling code garage door opener, then its tough..

To set the HomeLink:

Make sure the ignition is "ON" or the car is idling. (Manual will probably say to make sure youre stopped too.. lol)

First, press and hold both OUTER buttons until the indicator light blinks very rapidly. This means that the memory on it is "cleared" (You can also unhook the battery, but thats too much trouble). This can take as long as 60 seconds.

Second, hold in the button you wish to program, and, AT THE SAME TIME, hold in your garage door opener button.

The Indicator light will flash slowly at first, and when it starts flashing quickly (FLickering) you're set!

Hope this helps!

Bill
    You may find this link interesting:

http://www.wardsdealer.com

See the cover story on the 02 S-Types

Bill

• autolover2autolover2 Member Posts: 4
    Does anybody know how much the S type R is going to cost and when will it be available in the U.S?
  • bmms8bmms8 Member Posts: 86
    well, they finally have it done, the inside looks exactly like a x-type, the r is a 4.2 L supercharged engine, and if u go on http://www.jagaur.com/uk on the main page, go all the way to the right, and u will c a link to the "new s-type", it gives u a lot of photos, and info
  • rezo00rezo00 Member Posts: 103
    whats with the S type r name couldent they drop the type r thing...makes it sound like rice....nice HP but only an estimated 0-60 of 5.3sec?! The AMG's are that fast with only 350hp.... and thats 1/2sec off M5 teritory, then again it has an auto.... My final gripe is that the normal jag grill looks better then the type "R"....probably standes for type rice...
    I bet it will start at $75-80grand... Nice car but ugly grill
    Will run about $59K from what I hear from my VERY reliable rumor mill.

$75-80K?? What? $70K or so for an XJR, $83K or so for a Supercharged Vanden Plas!

Bill
    Who likes new Interior.
    To Set the clock in your s-type. Hold the menu buttom for 3 seconds to enter the clock setting mode. If you need an owners manuel call your salesman and ask if he can get one of the S-type CD-roms for you. A lot of older customers don't want them so they may have some sitting around.

Other interesting notes on the new S-type. Us availability of a manual transmission and a six speed automatic. The mesh grill has a long history in Jaguar tradition especially on high performance cars.
    WE CAN GET THE SIX SPEED?

Ooohhh!!!

YAYAYAYAYAYAY!!! =D =D =D

Bill
    Who cant wait till a fac demo 5-speed hits the block
    Autoweek reported that the manual would also be a six-speed, but someone else said that was a mistake and it would only be a 5-speed (probably the same Getrag that the LS uses today). The LS folks were really hoping for a 6-speed (or at least a 5-speed with overdrive). The current Getrag 5-speed does not use an overdrive which forces a 3.07 rear axle.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    you will be able to get a manual. Isn't almost any manual is better than the alternative? Too bad if they pass up a 6-speed manual. Would seem really odd to have more gears in automatic than manual. Glad BMW 540i uses 6-speed. Interesting that lowly Fords (Focus SVT), Pontiacs (Vibe), and Toyotas (Matrix), amongst others, are moving into 6-speed manuals. Why won't BMW's competitors learn? New Cadillac CTS might have benefited from 6-speed manual. Competition is good for everyone, both buyers and sellers.
    The manual will be 5 and the auto 6. Why is known only to the Jaguar people who are not telling?
    Guessing they want to cut costs somewhere. Since the automatic will likely outsell the manual by a factor of say 15 or 20 to 1, their bean counters probably said make the splash and statement with the automatic. Too bad, but logical. But logic doesn't rule the carbuying habits of buyers or the automotive press reviews. Or maybe they couldn't find a cost-effective tranny that would handle the power output? I doubt it.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,471
    like the LS. At least that's what the brochure I picked up at the LA Auto Show said. And, yes, it is a 5-speed. It's a damned shame that the R won't be available witha stick, but it would probably require an upgraded transmission.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    Car magazine, published in Great Britain, has in it's new issue the top 100 cars. Mentioned is the S-Type with 5 speed Manual, and the writer said it should be preferred over the 4 liter auto. I think Jag had a lot to do with the Manual LS. The LUK clutch and dual mass flywheel are European. It would be interesting to know how much of the Manual LS is imported from England.
  • willngaylewillngayle Member Posts: 19
    Can you provide more info on the shimmy problem? I drove two S-Types, a 4.0 and a Sport model and they both had very noticeable shimmies. I have a 1999 XJ8-L and I have the same problem. However my car has new MXV4's, not P4000's. By-the-way, the tires were balanced on the "Hunter" balancing machine and were found to be okay. The dealer and the Jag rep both say the big Jags (XJ's) have an inherent shimmy. Apparently the S-Type also has a shimmy. What's wrong with these Jags? Can you provide any insite? Thanks, Bill
  • cfgrosscfgross Member Posts: 54
    There is a terrific Jaguar message board that has many posts discussing the issue in great detail. just go to http://www.chessusa.com/jagsplash.html

The shimmy seems to be a very evasive animal. Some have it and can't seem to get rid of it regardless of what is done, some have it initially but have gotten rid of it with balancing, alignment, new tires, etc., and others never experience it. Were the S-Types you drove 2002's or earlier? I've only driven 2002's, and none have had any shimmy at all. Mine is a 4.0 Sport, and before I bought it I drove a different 4.0 Sport, a 4.0 w/o sport, and a 3.0 w/o sport. Every one of them was smooth as glass up to ~90mph (which is the fastest I personally would ever go). Before I took delivery of mine, I had them balance and align the wheels to be sure they were perfect from the start.

I'm certainly no expert, but this is my opinion: I don't think that there is a design flaw in the cars, per se, but that they are very sensitive to things like alignment, balancing, etc. I bought a set of 16" take-off wheels from a 2000 S-Type which I had fitted with Michelin Pilot Alpins for the winter. When I first drove the car at highway speeds after putting them on, I finally experienced the shimmy everyone talks about. I gave them about 250 miles to get worn in (I have a 96 mile per day commute), and when it got no better I went back to the tire shop and had them re-balance the wheels. They did so and said a couple of the wheels were "ever so slightly" out of balance (he mentioned one was only 1/2 gram out). He told me that on the majority of cars, this would be within tolerance and you would never feel anything, but that with some higher precision cars, being even a tiny bit out is noticeable. I'm happy to say that after the re-balance, the car is smooth as glass again.

My suspicion that Jag decided that the P4000's were the culprit is an educated guess based on my experience with my car, and what others have said about the Pirellis. I've never personally driven on them so I can't say from experience. Several have posted that the Pirellis tend to wear unevenly, and I suspect that if this is the case, it could cause the balance to become off enough to create a noticeable shimmy.

You mentioned that you have the MXV4's on your kitty. I had them on my Lexus GS300 (which the Jag replaced) and still have them on my wife's Avalon. I personally think they're super tires, and had no trouble with them on either car. Again, I'm no expert, I'm a gas passer by trade (anesthesiologist), but what I would do is ask the tire shop to check the balance again with the caveat that they need to make them as near to perfect as humanly possible. Their definition of "OK" may be allowing the tires to remain a fraction out of balance, which would be acceptable for other cars, but not temperamental kitties. If that doesn't do it, alignment has also been implicated as an issue, so you may want to have that checked as well (again insisting on VERY small error tolerance).

Hope this helps. Check out the JagTalk board I mentioned above. There are folks there who really know their stuff.

• wcollinswcollins Member Posts: 45
    I hate my 4.0 S-Type. Day 1: Add Coolant Light comes on (bad sensor), 12,000 needed struts, the right front end banging, has been reworked 3 times. 38,000 miles, thermostat stuck, fried engine and crack cylinder head - need new engine and coolant ceramic reservoir. Car developed moaning noises as a result of overheating. Dealer determined it needed a new transmission. To date (2/5/02) inadvertent moaning continues. Constant complaints and several trip to dealer. Dealer gives up, it better to say I don't hear it. Passenger in car indicated, "no way they can't hear this." Constant smell of anti-freeze. Dealer response "oh, that's just residual from the overheating enginer", later found to be a mysterious hole in the radiator, no doubt cause by mechanic replacing engine. Parked S-Type on an incline. Couldn't get car to come out of park. Put pressure on shift lever...... broke it. Roadside service thought I should have gotten out of the car and rocked it until it freed itself, but is a characteristic of S-Type on hills..... Give me a break will you!!! Dealer replaced gearshift mechanism. Last night moderately pulled away from stop sign, hear a loud bang.....engine light comes on, and "Gearbox Fault" warning light. Car goes into "Limp Home Mode" 50% power. To date, 3 towing requests in the D.C. area: 1st 2.0 for tow truck to come, 2nd 4 hrs, and 3rd 4 hrs. Clearly defective work by Jaguar. Had to fight tooth and nail all the way up to the owner of dealer level to get a rental car. Policy: "If you didn't buy it here, no rental". Don't matter whether you bought it out-of-state. Call Jaguar Corporate....rental policy indicates that it is at the discretion of the dealer to give you a rental. Not a Jaguar policy. No such policy exist at Jaguar. Excuse me for accepting a better paying job in a different state. One would think in this gobal market it is possible to move from state to state during ownership and warranty period. Repair turnaround averages 2-4 weeks (because I didn't buy it there, low priority - back lot until we find time). Motivated by Jaguar Corporate to speed up repair worked. Took 1 month to replace engine. Jaguar Customer Service is more lip service than action.....plenty of "I'm sorry for your troubles", but low on results. Jaguar contracts with sub-par towing companies, whose trucks has seen better days. One tow showed up without a flatbed (flatbed towing is mandatory by Jag), excuse given: "flatbed had a flat", second tow, Jaguar called the same tow company again, waited 3 hours - no show. Excuse: flatbed broke down. Jaguar called a second tow company, arrived 1.5 hours later.

My Jag has been at the dealership 10 weeks of the last 15, and Jag doesn't think I have a lemon. Most sad, Jag Corporate doesn't think with all the problems I am having that they should give me a replacement car to drive while they investigate. Don't even try to mention you want a Jag to drive, they will just laugh in your face. "This is not Jaguar policy to give Jag loaners". I told them that a colleague of mine who owns a Caddy in Chesapeake Va. always gets a Caddy to drive when their car is in service, even if it means pull a new one off the lot. "I'm sorry, that not out policy". DO YOURSELF A FAVOR, DON'T BUY THE S-TYPE. To twist the knife even further, I paid $58,065 (fully loaded 4.0)in December 1999, car trade-in value today $29,900. Go figure. In just two years damn!!! So unless you put a hefty amount down, you might be upside down for more than 2/3 of your payment ownership, and hope and pray that the Jag isn't stolen or totaled.

Jaguar Service Neglect: Scratched 3 rims in replacing tires, broke off engine cover buttons near windshield, scratched fender and rear door handle repairing faulty rear door lock, also severely mauled the inside door handle housing. Replaced clock that couldn't keep time, cracked Navigation screen in the process and damaged lighter to point where it wouldn't work. Spilled chemicals on seat causing permanent stains. Switched dealers......no better service. Assessment: Too many Jags, not enough dealers or mechanics, rushing work to get the money. And Jaguar Corporate has the never to ask in their mailed surveys "Do Your Mechanics Act Like They Love Jaguar?"

Trust me, this is my first Jag and my last.

Oh yeah, I read the comments on analog cellphone in the 2000 S-Type. Excuse: Jaguar surveyed the U.S. market in 1999, found not all states had digital, so analog is what we got". Remedy to retrofit for digital is $1,500 or wait for the 2001 Jag. So now I am stuck using Verizon as my carrier.

The questions was also raised as to the best deal. I brough my Jag via internet. Sent out requests for bid throughout the East Coast and Ga. Asking any dealer if anyone would bit on my offer: "I'll pay full sticker price, if you pay luxury tax, sales tax, tag and title and associated fees (worth $7,000). A Jag dealer in Delaware on Pennsylvania Avenue bit on the deal. However, I think they were counting on making it up with providing the financing. I appeared with a check from an internet finance company for the full amount of car. At first, they tried to tell me that they didn't know if the check was good, and that they had fraudulent check before from internet companies. I pointed out to them that the check was from one of the largest banks in the country, and to call if they had a problem. So they decided to offer me 1% lower interest rate to go with their company. So I did.
  • cayennered1cayennered1 Member Posts: 193
    It certainly sounds like your Jag experience has been a nghtmare. I owned an XJ6 from 92-95 and while it had some modest problems, it was generally reliable and the service I received including loaners was above average.

I've also had nightmare cars which broke down incessantly and I can tell you from experience you won't get anywhere with these manufacturers unless you actually sue. I've done it twice and have been totally successful both times (vehicle buyback at an appropriate price). Prior to filing suit I was stonewalled constantly and given the same lame excuses you received.
    I really believe most manufacturers figure they will just compensate those who push them to the wall and statistically come out ahead because most of those they ignore will just go away eventually and just sell their lemons.

My advice? Don't let them get away with selling you a defective product. Wouldn't Sears replace a crap refigerator? Most likely yes so why should someone who sells you a product that cost 100 times as much get away with causing their customers such grief.
    In reviewing the archieve topics I saw something about installing Lo-Jack. If you have a navigation system you don't need Lo-Jack. Just call Roadside Assistance and they will be able to locate your car via satellite. Each time I have broken down, they knew exactly where I was located to send the tow trucks. One of the perks of the Navigation System.
  • keyrowkeyrow Member Posts: 214
    is an anti-theft/vehicle recovery device. It is not meant to be used to tell the tow truck driver where you are.
    I think you misunderstood what wcollins said. He said IF you have the navigation system then you don't need lo-jack. If your car is stolen you just call Jaguar and they can use the navigation system's GPS to find out where your car is and report it to the police.

He wasn't implying that Lo-Jack should be used as a navigation device. Only the police can track the Lo-Jack signal.
    You may need the full deluxe communications pkg. for this to work. But I am not sure.
  • bbrimmer1bbrimmer1 Member Posts: 9
    Have just read about a Jaguar dealer in the Northeast offering a brand new S-Type for $34,999.
    Since this sounds too good to be true, does anyone have any advice or thoughts on this?
    I have stayed away from contemplating an S-Type because I have heard they are unreliable mechanically and not great in snow.
    bbrimmer1... You'd have to supply more details. Since you say it is "brand new", I'm assuming it is not a demonstrator. But is this a leftover 2001? Or a 2002? Is it a stripped, no-options V-6? What options does it have?
  • bbrimmer1bbrimmer1 Member Posts: 9
    riez: it is a leftover 2001 base 3.0 S-Type. They have a White Onyx and a British Racing Green. I'm cautious of purchasing a rear wheel drive automobile without stability control. But $35K sounds like a sweet deal. But I'm unsure and that is why I'm asking. Thanks.
  • scottc8scottc8 Member Posts: 617
    I can't speak from Jag experience, but the Lincoln LS is the S-type's mechanical virtual twin and it goes fine in snow. You won't
    "break trail" in the deep stuff and may want snow tires if you live where it snows a lot, but you'll be OK, even without stability control.
  • cayennered1cayennered1 Member Posts: 193
    From what I've read on various boards it's the Sport version's tires that present a problem in winter driving. I believe the base model 3.0 tires are ok in snow.

Can't speak to the reliabiity issue. I did own a 92 XJ6 which gave me minimal problems in 4 years.

I will say that from a looks perspective the S Type is the cream of the Jag crop.
    (not counting the XK8, of course)

As a matter of fact, if my finances permit I may look at the 2003 at the end of the year.
    bbrimmer1... You're considering what will end up being a year-old used car the minute it walks off lot it. Once out the door it will be worth what the used 2001s are going for. Check out the resale books on 2001 S-Type. What is the current wholesale rate for a year-old Jag? You should see if there are any other low mile 2001s or 2002s.
    01 S-Type? Under 5K miles? $35,000?

Step 1:

Grab Checkbook

Step 2:

Write check to Jag dealer for the white one

Step 3:

Be glad they didnt send the car to the auction and get similar $$ for it.

Yeah, it is a very very good deal :)

Bill
    I have a dreaded 4.0 S-Type. Absolutely none. Had a slush experience, car failed to navigate in any direction other than straight. Of course, this may be due to the factory Z-rated tires. A friend who has a V-6 became stuck on the side of the road in slush also. If you live in D.C. you probably know we haven't experience any serious snow in the last couple of years. Spoke with Jab service guy about the issue. Response: "You have to learn how to handle all that power in the snow." The least bit of ice, and forget it. Two winters thank God no major snow.
    Transmission making strange moaning sounds after overheating due to bad thermostate which fried the engine, coolant system,radiator, cracked the cylinder heads and ruin the transmission. Dealer, replaced, engine, transmission, and radiator. Can't get extended warranty for all that work. Latest, factory has requested dealers to disconnect the coolant sensor, because they have proven to be faulty. Mine went bad within 20 miles from purchase. Dealer disconnected sensor. Driving home one evening, I heard a bang in transmission, warning light came on indicating "Gearbox Fault", car went into "Limp Mode" to get me home (50% power). Dealer indicated that since the sensor was disconnected, the computer was still looking for input. When it couldn't find it, the car went into "Limp Mode". Fact of fiction.....who knows. If this happens to you, you know the alleged culprit. By the way, I finally was able to convince the District Manager from Jag Hq. to come down and do a test drive with me. He did, and he heard the noise that the dealer was deliberately ignoring because they couldn't find the cause and didn't want to spend anymore time trying to figure it out. He indicated he would send the troubleshooter guy with his speciality equipment from Detroit to investigate the constant moaning noise. No more Jags for me, two years of misery. Pretty car though.
    If you have sport pkg with 17" wheels you must buy snow tires for winter weather driving. These wheels are not ment for snowy or slushy conditions.

The 16" wheels are great in the snow.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    We are looking for lawyers (any age, sex, kind of car) who are car nuts.

Please respond by March 9 to lordusky@aol.com

Any questions? Contact Edmunds.com PR at jfallon@edmunds.com

Thanks!
    kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews