Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jaguar S-Type

Comments

• rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,526
    Those with experience in driving the 4.2 6-speed S-Type(s) - what real world highway (say 65 - 75 mph) fuel mileage do you typically experience?

Thanks,
    - Ray
    Surprised to see the new 2004 XJ 4.2 rated at 28 MPG highway while the '03 S-Type is rated at 26 . . .
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,350
    Don't be surprised that the 2004 XJ has higher milage ratings than the '03 S-Type; the new XJ is considerably lighter.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,526
    From what I have seen, less than 100 pounds difference - '03 S-Type 4.2 vs. '04 XJ8 - and 2 mpg difference (EPA highway) is quite significant.

And at a steady highway pace, I'd expect aerodynamic and driveline drag to be a larger factor.

Cheers,
    - Ray
    Wondering what the '04 S-Type EPA ratings will be . . .
  • I returned my S-type 2003 4.2 2 weeks after I bought/leased it in 2002 Nov. reason was the lessor(Jaguar Leasing) told me that the CRUNCHING sound of the brakes will be repaired and "SERVICE will take care of it as I refused delivery of this unit at the time we had our delivery walkthru. I have returned it 3 times since and always with the answer "It is Normal for it to crunch when you release the brakes". Customer service was contacted and as I noted in others notes they give you a song and dance. Field reps were called in to evaluate and still with no relief of this anoying crunch which gets prolonged as long as you ride your breaks in stop asnd go traffic. lemon law does not cover this acdg to dealer as it is not a safety issue.
    ANY Suggestions. I am embarrased when I am with my friends in stop and go traffic where you have to ride the brakes and they comment that I deserve this annoyance for buying a FORD product.
    I'll be darned, you're right. I had thought that there was more difference in weight. Oh well, that will teach me to check my facts before engaging my mouth (or fingers in this case).

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• wcollinswcollins Posts: 45
    Decided to put my 2000 4.0 S-Type in for scheduled service. 60,000 mile checkup, front brakes and rotors, rear pads, right front struts again (3rd or 4th time), and to quiet exhaust note, car sounding more and more like a truck. Cost: $2,600. Worst yet, to silence the exhaust, it requires an "Intermittent Exhaust Silencer" Part #XR815376. Guess what???? This part is on a six week back order. Vehicle has already been in service for 2 weeks, expected delivery of part according to Jaguar July 5th. Can you believe that!! Is this anyway to run a business. Is "DT" on line?? If you are, you ought to be ashame of your car company. This car is not a 10 year old car where parts may be scarce. What's the deal!
    You know, I've had some of that 'back order' problem with my XK8 too. Luckily nothing critical in my case, but still annoying when you have to drive around with something not working properly for several weeks. I live in the Los Angeles area too. We're not exactly low on Jaguars around here.

How can Jaguar expect owner loyalty? They claim they want to increase their market share. Do they expect owners to speak highly of their vehicles to others who may inquire (and I have had many), do they fear the internet bashing? I guess not. I have been pleading with Jaguar since my early months of ownership for a replacement car, Jaguar simply believes they don't produce faulty vehicles. They believe as long as they supply you with bubble gum style maintenance, you should be happy. Since my ownership, my vehicle has spent in the neighborhood of 142 days in service in total. If I included the expected July 5th when the part is expected in that would make 172 days. Jaguar should have enough parts in the U.S. to completely rebuild any vehicle they currently sell. There should never be a "National Backorder" on anything. Yes, there's a Lexus in my future, for sure. Oh yeah, my $58,750 S-Type is only worth around $19,000 in trade. I understand not many dealers want them in trade, they would rather wholesale them out to auction places.
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    Be prepared for boring perfection.

I encourage you to take a drive in a Lincoln LS.
    The Lincoln and the S-Type are virtually the same auto under the skin. My girlfriend has a 2000 LS V-6, however, she doesn't drive her car as much as she drives the Ford F150. She is experiencing the same howling noise at 28,000 that I have with my S-Type that Jaguar has yet to silence. They just moved the noise away from the interior vents so the noise won't be heard so profoundly inside the car. The noise is now evident to those I pass on the street. I am not sure going to an LS will be any different. I think once mileage starts adding up, you will probably hear more and more S-Types and LS began to self-destruct. Has any one had problems in holding onto your Center Caps on your wheels. I've replace at least 7 since ownership. It appears that the legs (brace) in back of the cap breaks off and leaves no support for the caps to stay on. Dealer indicates they sell lots of them. At $20 a pop they are making some nice monies on the cheap pieces of plastic.
    If a vehicle part is on National Backorder, wouldn't that indicate that a lot of vehicles are replacing this faulty part that they can't keep them in stock? If correct, why isn't there a recall......and why are we being forced to pay $650 to replace this part? In this case, to silence a noisy exhaust which is clearly a manufacturing flaw. I wonder if this affect emissions. If so, maybe I can get some help from the Department of Transportation in forcing Jaguar to do a recall.
    The howling noise was corrected in the 2002 model year.

Self destruct? What do you base this on?

The V6 has been proven to be near bullet-proof. The V8 is earning the same reputation. I know of one that has been driven HARD for over 100,000 miles with no sign of distress. Many others in the 50,000+ hard miles with similar results.
  • travelbilltravelbill Posts: 12
    I've got 85,000 miles on my '00 V6 LS and the engine has been trouble free even after hard driving and frequent red line shifts with my manual transmission. This is a proven engine that Ford has been refining for several years. as far as the rest of the car goes I've had the driver's seat heating element go after a year and that was replaced the same day I called the dealer with the problem. Everything else has been trouble free and the car is still as solid and sound as can be. I've had more trouble with the two Mercedes and one BMW that I have had now & in the past.
    This is what I consider self-destructing:
    000010 - Coolant sensor went south on the way home for the dealership after purchasing.
    39,000 - New Engine due to faulty thermostate.
    40,000 - 50,000 2 new transmissions & shifter
    51,000 - 55,000 new a/c unit
    56,000 - 63,000 new heating unit
    64,000 - 66,000 Telephone System fails to communicate expensive part ordered.
    67,000 - 68,000 Airbag deployment messages sent to Jaguar. No answer to problem which still persist. Emergency contact shut off until problem can be solved. No answer to date. Dealers indicates they don't know what's the problem.
    4 sets of struts on right front.
    69,000 - 70,000 - Intermittent ping coming from steering wheel area, maybe airbag, nobody knows.

That's my definition of self destructing. Do you think this qualifies? And not to mention resale value.

I am quite sure I left out some things. But this is what I came up with from the top of head.

As someone once put it, Jaguar has a consistency problem. Getting a good Jag is a crap shoot.

As far as fast service and one day service. That's a joke on this end. My vehicle has spent 142 days to date in service. I can only remember getting the car back the same day only once. I picked my car up this morning after it has been in service for 2 weeks. It took them a week to tell me the part was on National Back Order, and wouldn't be in for 5-6 weeks approx July 5th. Now I can pull along side those teens with the large exagerated mufflers and compete for noise. Driving away from dealership heard this scraping sound coming from the rear wheels (had brakes installed). Had to turnaround and have them fix the problem.
  • neb5neb5 Posts: 5
    I know of no other forum to get such informative feedback than this one. I have been window shopping for quite some time and have several vehicles that I would love. My dilemma is I am a conscientious person who looks at the most minute details. I am riding the fence on the following. I have always loved the look/style of the Jaguar S-type, have adored and said I would get one. However, even though I currently drive an American made vehicle, I still replay the old saying in my mind about foreign vehicles being "most exceptional" when it comes to detail and quality. So, I once considered the 03' 4Runner and sort of let it go, no need to have two gas guzzlers in our driveway, and opted to go with the 03' Avalon XLS. I would consider the 00' lexus GS/ES 300 as well, but overall it is the look of the Jaguar the I love. Since you all speak highly of the Avalon are there any horror story you know of on any of these vehicles that you can share to get me off the fence?
    A test drive of a Lincoln LS is likely to be a very pleasant surprise for you.

Also, if you're into audio, the LS's THX system is amazing ... gotta hear it to believe it.
    I just received a computer 474 reprogramming upgrade on my 2000 S-Type. Is this an upgrade to the 319?
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Posts: 4,883
    You could be like me.

Be in senior management at a Lexus dealership and drive a Jaguar to work :D
    You must use the Jaguar to demonstrate the difference between a quality built car and a car with image and no quality. It is a saying among the Washington mover and shakers that if you buy a Jaguar, you must agree to acknowledging that you will have it half the time and the repair shop the other half.
    As I have stated in the past about my woes with the Jaguar dealer in Laurel Maryland. I strongly suggest anyone who has had similar experience with Laurel to switch to Annapolis Jaguar (see Miguel). They are a small new Jaguar/Land Rover dealership trying to get established and they are going all out to satisfy. No crazy questions as to where I bought the car in order to get a loaner. First visit, loaner from Enterprise plus a free Jaguar keychain, second visit to install backordered part, given a '03 S-Type as a loaner (love the new seats, feels like a lounger with great support, however, I think the interior overall is a little cheezier than the 2000 models). If this was Laurel Jag I would still be arguing over a loaner and calling the Jag hotline. By-the-way "DT", if you had anything to do with getting the backordered part in before 7/5, thanks!
  • arodmanarodman Posts: 2
    I am currently researching the Jag S-Type, MB E320, and the BMW 530i. After test driving all three within a few hours, I prefer the Jag. The BMW was fun to drive - very responsive - but the interior was spartan (no space in console, forget the drink holders!). Nice electronics - but the Jag and MB had equally nice features. The Jag and MB both have great style and beautiful interiors. After reading several posts, Consumer Reports, Edmund reviews, etc. I am concerned with the reliability and depreciation of the Jag. I thought since Ford took over, a lot of the mechanical problems had been solved (i.e., the electical system, etc.). Consumer Reports blackballed the Jag and MB for reliabilty. Why do they hate the Jag and MB and think the BMW walks on water? Even though our local Jag dealership has a great facility (simulated golf range, gym, catered, etc), I would rather not spend a lot of time there!! But then again, I suppose my boss would get tired of the old "I have car trouble" excuse all the time. :-) Thanks in advance for your honest opinions!
  • danbarn3danbarn3 Posts: 2
    Should I buy a used 2001 Jag S-Type 4.0 V8? It has 90K miles and came from a rental company's fleet through an auction house. The asking price for the car is very attractive (around $19K) and hard to pass up on. The car history is clean, no accidents, nothing major, etc. I understand these cars can be a blessing or a curse, even brand new just off the car lot. Does anyone have ownership experience of the Jag S-Type beyond the 90K mile marker? If I purchase this vehicle, I intend to drive another 40-50k miles over the next few years. I once owned an old mercedes and had no maintenance problems with it. With a Jag, I am prepared to spend no more than a couple thousand dollars in maintenance and repairs per year. I am not prepared for this car to sit at the mechanics garage half of the time. Your ownership experience would be helpfull. Thank you in advance.
  • jagboyxtypejagboyxtype Posts: 241
    While our S-type does have quite a lot of happy miles on it, it doesn't have 90,000 yet. It is a 2000 MY car, one of the first produced, and though the warranty is up, it has still not had a single problem since its purchase, beyond the windshield wiper fluid tank getting a leak once, which, though occuring out of warranty, Jaguar replaced for free. No other part of the car has ever had any problems, and the current washer fluid tank is functioning perfectly.

The way things are going with our S-type, I wouldn't be surprised if it could reach 200,000 miles with the proper care. Despite some of the horror stories you hear on message boards, Jag's reliability has been pretty excellent overall. These cars aren't the old XJ40's or Series 3's that had to be retuned in the shop all the time. Good luck finding the car for you!
    I agree with the spotted reliability of the Jag. I thought robotics would solve these problems. I was speaking with a lady who just bought a 2003 S-Type who is having reliability problems big time. Can't seem to get the car replace despite numerous service visits. She is getting the same song and dance from Jag that I get. The philosophy seem to be in order to get attention from Jag, the same problem or problems have to occur repeatedly, and then you still have to get your attorney to contact them. Unless that happens they will give you the song and dance. If your car is having ongoing different problems, Jag see it as being normal. Afterall, they may rationalize, it's better than what they use to be, regardless of the price and competition's reliability. One of the automobile mediation group in the Washington D.C. area sites Ford and Toyota as being the most difficult to deal with when it comes to replacing your vehicle and Mitsubishi as being the easiest.
  • libertycatlibertycat Posts: 593
    IT HAS A BEAUTIFUL INTERIOR AND EXTERIOR AND IS WAY PRETTIER INSIDE AND OUT THAN LEXUSES, CADILLACS, LINCOLNS, SAABS, VOLVOS, BMWS, MERCEDES, AUDIS, VWS, ACURAS, AND INFINITIS. GO JAGUAR (AND PARENT COMPANY FORD)!!!!!!!!!! ALSO IT IS ALMOST FUN GETTING YOUR CAR FIXED AT THE WONDERFUL JAGUAR DEALERSHIPS! LOL
  • arodmanarodman Posts: 2
    Thanks for your replies. I bought the Jaguar (Adriatic blue with dove interior). Such a beautiful car!! Not the color I expected to buy since I am typically a black car, sand interior fan. But I love it. So much fun to drive. There was only one slight problem. The interior sliding moonroof panel doesn't glide smoothly. The dealership said they would fix it promptly. Can't wait to check out the service dept next week (and the golf simulator) :-)
  • danbarn3danbarn3 Posts: 2
    My 2000 S-Type Jaguar has a misfire in the engine. It has 35K miles. I just bought this vehicle for $24K. It usually runs a bit rough when idle and on occasion you can fill the roughness or misfire during acceleration and lower cruising speeds under 50 MPH. There is a slight hesitation upon acceleration as well. Has anyone else experienced this in their S-Type?Does anyone have any idea what this could be? How much would this sort of repair cost?
  • I just picked up my new 2003 Jaguar S-type three days ago and it's incredible.

After much debate, I opted for the 4.2L V8 and am glad I did. A very smooth, powerful engine with lots of headroom for highway driving.

I also chose a car with the 320-watt Alpine sound system -- incredible! If you listen to music alot, this option is a must. It's like having an incredible stereo system with a Jag built around it!

British racing green with sand interior. Gorgeous!