Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Sienna Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• viskha1viskha1 Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2010
    Yup, sounds too good to be true (though I had sent the request in through Toyota's website and have a printed copy) - will post what I hear back (was not actually too serious about buying till I saw his response - but am not too hopeful). New to this forum and as I read other posts it is obvious that this price is probably not real.
  • nobonobo Member Posts: 305
    If you can get a $46K limited for $33K you should be there first thing in the AM. I think they made a typo in the price quote.

Should the price be real, by all means post dealer's name.
  • netfan2003netfan2003 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased a Limited FWD on Saturday 03/26 for 40,250 + TTL / MSRP 44724 from a dealer in Columbia, TN. It has the following pkgs:
    Limited Premium Package
    Convenience Package
    Carpet Floor Mats
    Blizzard Pearl
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    I'm using Edmund's invoice price: http://www.edmunds.com/new/2010/honda/odyssey/101193266/optionsresults.html?acti- on=2

$32416.

Also, accurding to Edmunds, Honda's rollback is based on MSRP, not invoice: http://www.edmunds.com/advice/incentives/holdback/index.html

Take it up with them if you disagree, I guess. I don't think I can be faulted for using the information that's on the website where we're having this discussion.

In addition, "invoice" is really a reference to what the dealer paid--at least in theory. So my point to you was that you can't really include the incentive when you are throwing around terms like "$2500 under invoice." It distorts the amount available to negotiate with dealers. I've seen a lot of dealers pull this trick--they'll tell you they are going you the car for $1250 under invoice, when in reality, they're giving it to you for invoice and getting a $1250 incentive. Its designed to make buyers think they're getting a better deal than they really are. So I wanted that to be clear for people.
  • snowdaddyosnowdaddyo Member Posts: 53
    You're right about the holdback, but the invoice price (including destination) is listed as $32766 on truecar.com, at least for my region. Not sure which figure is correct at this point.

I think if you ask most people, when they speak of invoice, they are referring to the factory invoice & destination. So to speak otherwise only confuses the matter. Incentives are just that - incentives made available by the manufacturer to the consumer, in the form of either financing or cash. Think about it- if the buyer chooses to take the financing, that cash incentive is no longer available - so it would be faulty logic to say it was part of the invoice price to begin with. Now of course, the unscrupulous dealer will not want the buyer to know about the cash incentive (and pocket that cash for himself) should the buyer forgo the financing offer. They may also try to tack on the destination charge after their initial base quote. That's why we have these boards.

Saying "$2500 under invoice" does not distort the amount available to negotiate with dealers, because from the beginning the cash incentive has been (or should have been) discussed as part of the deal, and it's implicit that the invoice price means factory invoice+destination. People should have the knowledge of what it takes to get the best possible cash price - and that means forgoing the financing incentive and coming up with your own financing.
  • kcmattkcmatt Member Posts: 3
    2011 Sienna, FWD, LTD
    Predawn mica/light gray
    Premium Package (DVD and Entertainment, $4,025 MSRP)
    Carpet Floor Mats/Door Sill Protector
    MSRP: $43,649
    Price paid: $39,850 (before taxes and title)
    No trade and no financing
    Purchased @ Molle in Kansas City, MO
    It was a little too easy to get this price, so the next person could do better. :-)

I took a look at the AWD model and was turned off by the tires. I think the mileage on these tires might be better than past models. Cost seems to be about average. My worry was the availability of the tires in a pinch. (Just my opinion, but something to think about).
  • viskha1viskha1 Member Posts: 5
    Is there any way to email multiple dealers easily to get a quote without having to visit each website individually and explaining what one is looking for? My last Sienna a few years ago I faxed numerous dealers and got excellent pricing but would prefer email in these times.
    Also, is it best to wait till later this year to get better pricing?
    Thanks in advance for feedback.
  • adamkheladamkhel Member Posts: 1
    Very interesting - thanks for all the insight...

I am looking to buy an AWD Limited 2011 Sienna but my 2 nearest dealerships have not budged much on price...

I wanted to know how to figure out the 'true' invoice value and therefore what to aim for on negotiations?? I am willing to look further afield for a good price and drive the van a couple of hundred miles no problems but really think Toyota should be negotiating hard these days...

Any ideas?

Plus am I going to get a better deal with the offer price with a trade-in offer or not?

Many thanks...
  • nitcnitc Member Posts: 13
    Visit www.truecar.com
    Enter your zip code, select the vehicle for which you want the trends and the invoice price. In 2-3 steps, it will show you a graph which also mentions the true invoice price of the car
    Also, while negotiating with the dealer, tell him you have decided and THIS is the vehicle you want to buy. He may be more open to negotiation then.
  • r2m45r2m45 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the Truecar tip. I have a quote here in Pa from several dealers for a 2011 Sienna XLE with Premium of straight invoice of $35,855.00. MSRP on this example was $39,524.00 all before Tax and Tags. The invoice price includes dealer advertising and some other bogus stuff. Does this price seem fair?

Thanks
  • nitcnitc Member Posts: 13
    I have booked the XLE without any package, so can't really tell you if the price is good. But based on some other posts, where people payed 36+, this price is good. On the TrueCar site, the truecost for XLE with premium is 35,066 and the invoice is 35,709. When negotiating, aim to get as close as possible to the truecost. Given that Sienna is relatively new, you will probably be at or slightly lower invoice, but not a whole lot lower. Aim at least for at invoice.
    Somewhere on the Odyssey forum, there is a 'HOGAN' method of negotiating which is what I used to get a good price. In short, here's what it is
    1. Pick the vehicle you want, in your case it is the XLE with premium. This is important. You should sound sure about what you want when you talk to the dealers
    2. Call a dealer and ask for their internet department. tell them you will buy the car today, and get their 'best price'. Double check if this is their best price. Tell the dealer you are going to ask others
    3. Now call the second dealer, and ask for their price. If they are lower than dealer A, leave it at that. If they are higher tell them what the first one told you and ask the dealer if he can match that. It helps if you quote a slightly lower number than what dealer 1 told you.If the dealer says yes, tell him you'll call back. If he says no, then eliminate this from your list
    4. Call dealer 3 and repeat step 3 and so on and so forth
    5. Once you/ve exhausted all dealers, chances are you will be close to the best price you can get.
    Look for the HOGAN method on the Honda Odyssey forum for a better description :)
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    If you bought a new Toyota since Feb or are thinking about it, a reporter wants to hear from you. Email pr@edmunds.com by Wednesday, April 7, 2010.
  • nicanornicanor Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for Hogan method. Assume same goes for quoting best lease as well?
  • readyalreadyreadyalready Member Posts: 22
    Hi
    I saw a sheet of the 'new' incentives today and did not see one for the Sienna, can anyone confirm if it is still offered or went away?
    thanks
  • vikramlvikraml Member Posts: 4
    Sounds like a great price. Out here in Central California (from Fresno, up to Modesto), the lowest quote I've gotten is $36,900($1000 over invoice). They blame the dealer advertising and other mumbo jumbo for the difference between the invoice price available on various websites (kbb.com, nadaguides.com) and the "invoice price" they are using. I'm ready to settle for $36,600 in a couple of days. Vehicle is identical to what you're looking at.
  • gollsgolls Member Posts: 21
    It looks like they are now giving out free 2 year maintenance to all buyers, not just those trading in a Toyota. I bought the Sienna just two weeks back and missed out on it :-(
  • snowdaddyosnowdaddyo Member Posts: 53
    The Siennas were already excluded from the March incentives.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Don't worry, that's just, what, 4 oil changes? $100 value tops. Maybe a tire rotation or two.

First major service is 30,000 miles and that's not free.
  • eurotrash3eurotrash3 Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2010
    Just picked up a 2011 Sienna Limited FWD Predawn/Gray.
    Base sticker: $38,500
    Premium package: $4,025
    Floor mats with sill protector: $324
    Roof rack cross bars: $185
    Destination: $800
    Total: $43,834

Price paid: $39,669 before taxes, etc.

Bought the car at Fitzgerald Toyota in Gaithersburg, MD. I know I got the lowest price I could because this was Fitz's internet sales price and I tried to get closer dealers to match it but they wouldn't. I showed dealer's the website deal and they either wouldn't match it or would only match on a less popular color. I told them they were crazy and did the 40min drive to buy the car.

I too endlessly debated between FWD and AWD but went with FWD for 2 main reasons:
    1. The well known run-flat tire issue. I'm not sure if it's an actual problem but in all honesty I really don't need AWD.
    2. The bigger issue is that the Limited AWD Sienna doesn't come with a power third row seat...manual only. The Limited FWD has the power third row. I thought this was odd but I guess all that AWD hardware takes up a lot of space. The deal on the FWD was better than on the AWD so I ended up saving quite a bit of $$$.

As a point of reference, Fitz was selling the Limited AWD for around $41k ($45k sticker) so nice deals can be found. We also got 3.99% for 72 months from Bank of America. Although we'll be paying off the car much sooner than that it's nice to have a low monthly obligation.

Good luck everyone. I'm convinced this new Sienna is the best motor vechicle on the road today!
    Congrats, that's a heck of a nice van.
    I agree. Not really much of a plus to get folks to buy the Sienna. Toyota needs to get serious and put a 100,000 mile warranty on their vehicles. Lot of lost confidence among consumers, this longer warranty would help some buyers.
  • il60538il60538 Member Posts: 1
    From buyatoyota.com........

*Plan is 2 years or 25,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The new Toyota vehicle cannot be part of a rental or commercial fleet or a livery or taxi vehicle. See plan for complete coverage details. See participating Toyota dealer for details. Offer ends 5/3/10.
    Figures, right before the 30,000 service, the first biggie.
  • lizabethblizabethb Member Posts: 7
    I bought a 2011 Sienna XLE 8 passenger FWD on 3/31 in Brandon FL:

Purchase Price 29969
    Floor Mats 399
    Less Trade - 5700 (2002 Honda Odyssey XE)
    Dealer Fee 599
    Tax 1569
    misc xfr tag etc.
    OTD 27050

I used zag.com American Express to find the lowest price in our area. I also took my trade to CarMax and received a $6,000 offer so I knew what I wanted for a trade and could decide if I wanted to trade or bring cash.

I also received 3.85% financing from Fifth Third Bank for 60 months.

I love my new Sienna! :D
  • lizabethblizabethb Member Posts: 7
    I used zag.com to find lowest price in my area and it lists 3 dealers and their lowest prices. It emails their internet sales dept. with the price guaranteed for their dealership. You can also see if other dealers will match the price...some say they will match any written offer. Usually the car you want has to be on their lot, but my dealer found what I wanted at a sister dealership and had it exchanged and driven to my dealer. It worked great for me.
  • jello8jello8 Member Posts: 4
    This is on the limited, I think I saw lower models at $500 above invoice. Does anyone know if the rear sunroof on the limited, has the interior cover that is perforated or is it solid so no light can get in when you cover the window?
    It's solid...no perforations.
  • la_momla_mom Member Posts: 1
    Hello, what should I expect to pay for an XLE 8 passenger, cheapest nav package? 36 month, 12k miles...thanks!
  • paysensmompaysensmom Member Posts: 8
    Just got back from the dealership. Please tell me what you think of this offer.
    2011 Sienna Limited
    Added OPTIONS: LT, PT, RO, CF, S7, CB, F1, i2,g1, PS Total of $5, 271.00

MSRP $39,355
    OPS. 5,271
    TOTAL 44,626

They offered 42,100

Then there is the 125 Doc fee, 2,666.44 tax, 203.67 Non-tax fees

OTD $45,658.31

Seems to me, they could go down more. I told them we would get back to them on Monday. I wanted to get input from you all first! Thank you so much. :)
  • r2m45r2m45 Member Posts: 10
    Paysensmom, you could do much better. On an XLE with Premium, MSRP of $39,524.00 I was offered $35,500.00 without much work on my part here in PA.
  • toyohotoyoho Member Posts: 8
    I have decided to purchase the Sienna in XLE trim. I don't want the DVD system or Navi (though I like the looks of the latter). The dealers in my area, in my opinion, seem inflexible when it comes to pricing. A friend advised to check out CarMax in Kenosha, WI since they're an authorized seller of new Toyotas. I did, and discovered exactly what I want for a price of $30,799 (I might be off a few dollars). My wife needs a new car at this time as well, so we would be buying two cars and paying in cash. I'm not asking for 50% off and I don't have an issue with a great sales rep making a fair commission for his or her efforts, but given there's no financing to contend with and a cashier's check readily available, do we have room to negotiate on price despite the 'no haggle' dollar amount? It's been awhile since we've purchased cars, as we drive them until they're ready to croak. Any advice, pro or con?
  • mcifanmcifan Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2010
    Has anyone had any experience working with a Toyota dealership to "order" a vehicle like you want it?

Here is the problem I experienced. My current lease on my automobile is up in early May. So, to be prepared for the hand-over of that vehicle, I began doing research on the 2010 Ody and 2011 Siennas that would be my two options of choice come May.

In late February, we decided a 2011 Sienna XLE would be the vehicle. We went into the local Toyota Dealership to make inquiries, check inventory, etc. and were told a vehicle was already in line "to be built" matching the XLE packaging we wanted (XLE 8 pass FWD, no other options). Surprisingly (or not), here in Anchorage, Alaska not many Siennas show up without the AWD option. We were told that since the vehicle hadn't yet been built, we could still make any color changes we wanted. The color it was originally coming in was the Predawn Gray Mica with Lt. Gray interior. We had test-driven an LE AWD with cloth light gray interior and felt it was too light of a color for kids, and looking at the light gray leather that would come with the XLE, seemed to be even lighter. We were pretty open to 3 or 4 different exterior colors, but definately only wanted the Beige interior.

We sat down with the salesman and asked that the interior color be changed to the Beige and the exterior to change to Blizzard Pearl (a $220 color option supposedly only available as a "Limited" model only option). We waited about 4 weeks for it to be built and shipped to Alaska, being told it would arrive in mid-April (next week). 2 weeks ago I walked into the dealership to pin-point the delivery date. The salesman came back to tell me that it was on its way and should be there by the middle of April. However in looking over the paperwork, they changed the exterior as requested, but the interior had NOT been changed, and was on it's way with Light Gray.

I don't have the luxury of driving across town to another Toyota dealership (next nearest is 370 miles way in Fairbanks, which is a dealership part of the same Kendall Toyota Group). The van will be here in the next few days, and we don't have time to "order" another vehicle and have it arrive before our early May. The salesman keeps blaming the Toyota factory for never listening to them. The strange thing is they were able/willing to change the exterior color of an XLE to a color that isn't even offered on the XLE, but they wouldn't make the change to the interior per a customer's request? Is this poor follow up with the factory on the part of a Sales Manager? Does the factory really do stuff like this and deliver vehicles to the dealership regardless? In talking to the salesmen, the factory never listens to the dealership, leaving us to either take delivery of a vehicle we now don't want, or go down the road to the Honda dealership and reconsider the 2010 Odyssey......

The salesman has claimed he has looked through inventory at other dealerships in the Pacific NW to see if he can locate the vehicle we actually want without any success. According to him, there seems to be no XLE inventory packaged the way we want with Beige interiors. Is anyone else running into any similar problems? Would love to hear anyone else's experience in either ordering or locating a 2011 Sienna XLE 8 pass FWD, with no extra options, beige interior and either Predawn Gray, Blizzard Pearl, Super White or South Pacific Pearl?

Sadly, when talking to the salesman he makes it sound like a customer request that they send into the factory is like rocket science. Is it really? I understand that this could be the attitude of the local dealership and sales staff as they nearly have a monopoly on the Toyota market here in Alaska. But maybe there is a chance that the factory doesn't really care about what the customomers want? The whole experience is starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth, with my first-ever Toyota buying experience.
  • sanvan76sanvan76 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Friends,

I'm looking for some help from the experts here on this forum.
    we are 3 friends looking seriously to buy 3 2011 Toyota Sienna LE model in Seattle, Wa. I'm wondering if there is a volume discount available on Toyota's and any wholesale delear available in US who can offer good price for 3 vehicles?
    Also what is good price on 2011 LE AWD?

Thanks in advance for your response!!
  • inspectoringinspectoring Member Posts: 102
    All you guys going for the PAX run flat tires on Sienna 2011 - are you getting rid of the runflat tires or are you going to keep it? How does that play into the negotiation? Should I end up paying the dealer for removing the tires prior to purchase and installing a new set or would/could the dealer do this replacement for free?
  • jquachjquach Member Posts: 4
    Just bought 2011 Sienna XLE AWD with Premium Package at the invoice price, $37,888 (MSRP = $41.540) at Capital Toyota in San Jose, CA. They also gave me Auto Appearance Protection (Paint & Leather protection) for 5 years for FREE.

Question: XLE/Limited has Tow Prep Option as Standard. Could someone tell me what this consist of? My saleman couldn't tell me much about this
    edited April 2010
    I can understand your frustrations. When we were looking to buy a new Sienna, salesman would not consider getting us "Blizzard Pearl" as that was now only available on the Limited vans. Also, both interior colors were a turn off, as only Bisque (reminds me of baby poo) and Light Grey. We wanted a darker interior color. Honda was not much better on color, as the only interior color available with their White is Ivory (another poo reminder).

Both Toyota and Honda seem to have a take it or leave it attitude about what they build.
    If you remove the PAX tires, what are you going to use for a spare?

The van was designed and engineered to use the PAX tires. Dealer may resist changing a Toyota design. Once you buy the van you can do what you want in way of tires. Changing a Toyota manufactured design gives Toyota "wiggle room" on some warranty repairs.
    It'll depend on what market you're in but the dealer where I bought my Sienna was selling all trims at around 10% off MSRP which seems to be what most folks are getting on this board. So with an MSRP of $44,626, you should be looking at around $40,200. Then again, I took my deal to other local dealers and they wouldn't match so you may have to bargain hard depending on your market and how many dealers are in your area.
    I'd say no, in fact what would be the point of no-haggle if you could then haggle?

It's fair because everyone pays the same price on that day.
  • mrtamclemrtamcle Member Posts: 1
    Same. I just left the #1 Toyota Dealer in Fairfax with an XLE premium pack V6 FWD. MSRP was $39606, out the door $35,510. They originally wanted $36,313 but matched Fitz's internet price. Sweet deal.
    Just a quick update: The Tow Prep Option that supposed to be standard for XLE is not there! Toyota said it's not in any of 2011 Sienna. This option will be available in June timeframe. I had an option to return the van or wait and the dealer will give the tow hitch and install it for free. I opted to wait.....

Just something to think about when you are buying XLE or Ltd.
  • raketa1raketa1 Member Posts: 8
    Is the Tow Prep Package not being factory installed or is it just the hitch itself that is not yet available? I ordered an XLE and my understanding from the dealer here in MN is that the hitch is yet to be designed and is expected be available in June. The Tow Prep Package includes larger alternator, radiator cooling capacity, maybe trans oil cooler and wiring harness. Much of that can only be factory installed. When the hitch becomes available, the dealer will have to install it at a cost (unfortunately higher than factory installed). Clarifications anyone? Thanks.
    Interestingly, my 2007 LE had that standard, then for 2008 they made it an extra-cost package option.

So now it's back? Is it just on XLE and Ltd?

I agree that you won't necessarily see it. It's tow prep, i.e. heavier duty stuff that you do not see to help it cope with heavier stress when towing. It may not include the tow hitch, though (mine did not).
    The Tow Prep should include the wiring harness but according to my dealer and Toyota rep, it is NOT installed. The harness will not be available until June timeframe. Because of this, my deal is willing to give me free OEM hitch package + installation if I take the van now. I decided to take the van and come back around June for complete tow package installation.....

Can someone check with their dealer to verify this (about wiring harness not installed)?
  • jello8jello8 Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2010
    This is the offer I got using ZAGS: 2011 Sienna Limited AWD, with:
    fe, cx, lt, pt, cf which msrp is $45,809.

Zags dealer set me up with $42,507.30 +
    fees = $668.75
    tax = $4043.49

total out the door is $47,219.54

Do you think they will have incentives next month? or take this deal? Do the fees seem high or inline?
    Do base your decision based solely on my reply but based on my very little research on this ;post I think you should get atleast 4-5 $ below the MSRP + OTD. Go to Fitzgerald auto mall website and I think they have one listed. The prices they show are the they actually charge !
    edited April 2010
    Please keep in mind that for 500 $ you can get an awesome ipad instead of their overpriced entertainment system. I am planning on getting two ipad for each kid so that we don't have to worry about anything and they can do a lot more with ipads than their entertainment system
    The iPad can't play DVDs unless you convert them and transfer the video files but that's a cumbersome process for the vast majority of folks who just want to watch a video. Plus, how are you going to mount your iPads to the car? Is there an adapter or must the kids hold them while watching? The iPad is not a suitable replacement for an integrated in-car entertainment system especially when the sound system is hooked up through the stereo and you can control everything from the front of the car in one location.
    Why would an iPad owner use DVDs?

Instead they'd be downloading content from the iTunes store. Much of it is free.

I agree that a suitable mount would be nice, not to mention a car charger.
  • sanvan76sanvan76 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Friends, Any recommendations on this?
    looking for either 3 LE FWD or 3 Base FWD vehicles. What is a good price for base?