Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    The fiber optic Tailight monitors in the
    roof ( you could see in the rearview mirror)
    on my 90 deville... My 72 Fleetwood and 89
    90 Devilles I had also had the fiber
    optic monitors in the front fenders.
    But my 96 and 02 didn't/don't have them
    .....geo
    Lemko beat me to it !
  • jb7227jb7227 Member Posts: 86
    Forgot about those great lamp monitors! What about the "trumpet horn"? Dont get me wrong - there are tons of improvements over the older models - Northstar vs. V8-6-4, better controlled handling (while still giving us that Cadillac ride), better workmanship/reliability. I guess I'm a sucker for nostalgia - but I still dont think there's a reason why the "Standard of the World" can't be the standard once more. Come on GM, you can give us a world beater in the Corvette, and your SUV's are great (Tahoe, Suburban, etc.) - you can do it for Caddy!
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    I can be on a crowded street in any city with car horns blaring everywhere and can pick out the Cadillac by the sound of the horn. I think GM is trying harder to make Cadillac a world-beater more than any other division at this time.
    That Caddy horn note is great! I just drove (for the 3rd time) a base DeVille (2003) - cant decide whether to take the plunge on a 2002 or 2003 yet. I firmly to believe that if more foreign car buyers drove the DeVille before plunking down 55-60K for a mid-size Mercedes or Lexus, they would think twice. For $ 15,000 less, they would get a car with more interior room, more trunk room, smoother ride and better climate control, for starters. I cannot wait to take my Caddy cross-country...would be curious to hear from all you out there who have done the same (i mean from East to West or vice-versa - a nice 3000+ mile trip) - how did she perform?
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    In the high $30s,it way undercuts a Mercedes E320. and that strikes me as great value. But the DTS gets too close to the Benz. As you near $50K,I'd much rather the MB.
    you are right - the base is an unbelievable value compared to the MB 320. As far as comparing the DTS, its MB "competition" would be the E430. At almost $60K for the 430 (vs. $47-48K or less for a DTS w/discounts), I still think the Caddy is a good value.
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I'd take the E320-it's adequately fast,even if it dosen't have that big honkin' Caddy V-8. So in my mind they very much competors,even if the cylinder count isn't the same.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    Make mine a DTS or STS, no stinkin Benz for me. To get an MB with the room, features, and power of a DTS your looking at an S-class and your over $70K then. Sorry, but even at DHS and DTS levels, the Caddy is a great value. The E430 is history as the new E-class will be offered in either V6 E320 or V8 E500 and I can only wonder how much more the 500 will be over the 430. I'm sorry, but if I'm spending nearly 50 large on a car, I want at least eight cylinders. Having recently driven an SLS for a week and experiencing a Northstar at full throttle, there is nothing quite like the sound. You Caddy owners will know what I mean:)
    I used to lament the passing of some of the "unique" Caddy touches, but realize that many buyers consider them "fluff" these days. The power trunk lid pull down was neat(actually Olds and Buick had that too), but with today's better fitting body panels and aluminum or composite trunk lids, closing them is not a chore. Also, those things were easily broken by a caddie or skycap(or grocery store clerk) who slams your trunk. The rear lamp monitors were neat and I'm not sure, but doesn't the driver info center on newer Caddies have a lamp outage warning? As for comparing the Caddy to the high end Buick or Olds, Cadillac still trumps them big time. Beginning with a Northstar V8 and upgraded suspension components. Also, the Deville and Sevilles have their own instrument cluster whereas Buicks and Olds just have a regular analog cluster. Also, Cadillac still offers the automatic parking brake release and is the only one to have a true tri-zone climate control(Olds and Buick just have air vents in back). So to me, Cadillac still has many things the lesser GM cars don't, especially when you look at it under the bonnet where things really count.
    Suprising those 6 banger MBs off the stop
    lights. Along with CHEAP maint. costs !
    My 90 Deville 4.5 used to SCREAM off the
    line and blow off many stock 5.0 mustangs
    etc................geo
  • lando2lando2 Member Posts: 12
    I am inteested in buying a Deville '94 - '97.
    What can I expect to pay, what to look (out) for, etc...
    I currently on a F@#$ product. Thanks in advance.
    ...I had a 1994 DeVille and you could probably get a decent one for $5500 to $7500 these days depending on mileage. Things to look out for - the Ride Control System immediately comes to mind. The struts on a '94 DeVille are $500 a piece! My ride control system never failed, but I've heard stories from others. My water pump failed around the 85K mark. The repair was $540.00. Brakes also seemed to be a weak spot. However, I'm happy to report no catastrophic engine or transmission failures. Most problems were very minor and cost $100 or less.
  • rhargettrhargett Member Posts: 5
    I recently purchased a 1995 Sedan Deville with 75,000 miles on it. The rear end sticks up in the air about 2 to 3 inches higher than it should as compared to other Devilles. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what could be causing the over adjustment in height ?
    ...perhaps the rear struts have been replaced and the level-ride control was improperly adjusted.
    Hey All...Anybody out there get a recall
    notice yet ? I haven't on my 02 yet.
    Seat belts are made by Tamako (spl) seat
    belt co. In mexico no less. So much
    for quality 3rd world parts. The belts
    in my 01 GM truck are made by TRW in
    Mexico too !
  • rhargettrhargett Member Posts: 5
    Lemko:
    Dealer discovered that the compressor pump for the ride control had gone bad. Compressor was replaced and rear trim height returned to normal. However, now when riding over small bumps at speed over 20 miles per hour, the jolt from the bump can be felt in the front driver's area. The front goes over bumps smoothly but the rear suspension appears to be too stiff. Any suggestions on how to get rear to be less jolting when going over bumps ?
  • robh3robh3 Member Posts: 157
    Anyone know of any pictures out there of the revised tailights on the '03 Deville?
    I have seen the 03's on dealer lot (next to 02's) - I couldnt see that much of a difference - possible I wasnt standing far enough away from the car. Also possible that the light cluster under the taillamp is arranged differently on '03?
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    Was just at dealer yesterday and test drove an '03 DTS and I didn't see any difference in rear lights. Most noticable exterior difference is in turn signal lights in outside mirrors facing to rear only and a change is wheel design but otherwise the same all over.

Also dealer said that very few will have Nightvision as it just wasn't big demand here in Austin.

Dealer had lots of '02's left and had to go to back lot to find an '03 for me to test. Tried pushing the '02's with deal but since I am some time away before decision I really wanted to see an '03.

Salesman had tough time, never found, way to get seat belt anchors to adjust in height. For anyone with an '03, is it still possible like in STS's and '02 DTS's?
  • baron87baron87 Member Posts: 93
    The safety belts in the 2003 Cadillacs are NOT height adjustable any more. I am not sure why, but perhaps there were some glitches with the power height adjustment system.
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    Thanks but I am disappointed. With a major height difference between my spouse and I that might be a real issue once I take her to drive it. I was also disappointed to see that Side Curtain Air Bags had not been added to the Deville. Most if not all competitors now have them.
  • bigsky89bigsky89 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, everyone. Not sure if this is the right place to post this message, but I need help from the experts. I am a first time owner of a 2002 Deville, bought it used with just under 10K mi. 4.5K mi. later, I noticed I have had to add about 2 quarts of oil to maintain the same level. The Check Coolant Level message also came on and had to add almost a gal. of coolant. Took it to dealer and was told that the Northstar engine uses oil by design (GM ervice bulletin) and to add a quart every 1500 mi. The Deville is also supposed to use some coolant because "it runs very hot". Dealer changed oil, topped off coolant,but there was no acceptable explanation on this. This is my first Cadillac ever and would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
    I don't think the engine should be using coolant. Northstars seems to use a little oil which is not uncommon with an engine like that, but it your "using" coolant there is a leak somewhere.
    My 96 northstar used a qt. oil every 1000
    miles from new. Dealer did the oil consumption
    tests etc. They said normal ! Never used any
    coolant tho. At 90k it used 1 qt. oil every
    2000 miles...go figure ! My new 02 Deville
    with 1300miles has used NO oil ! so far...
    My 90 Deville never used a drop up till I
    traded it with 110k miles for the 96....geo
  • rdesmanrdesman Member Posts: 43
    I have 260 miles on a new 2002 Deville Sedan. When it was show room new (10 miles driven) it only got 7 miles per gallon average, which has steadily risen to an average of 12.8 after 260 miles driven. Is this because the engine is in its "break in" stage or do I have a problem, based on other's new Deville experiences? Otherwise its been comfortable and well performing.
  • hydra2hydra2 Member Posts: 114
    Congratulations on your new ride. Your mpg sounds typical for city driving. I have 3500 miles on my 2002 DTS and its city mpg has risen from 10-12 to 14-16 for mainly city and a little expressway driving. Highway trips average 24-26 mpg. Your mpg should improve, but don't expect 17-20 mpg for city driving. Inflating your tires to 32 psi and avoiding lead-footed driving may improve matters slightly although the latter will take away a bit of the fun ;)

Enjoy the ride.
    ...renders measly MPG figures. I had a 1994 DeVille and managed around 14 MPG City due to all the stop and go driving. However, I could sometimes manage 25 MPG on the PA Turnpike under ideal conditions or 22 MPG under average conditions. Years ago I had a 1975 Cadillac DeVille. City MPG was more like 8.
    The only torque and horsepower ratings I can find on the standard(275HP) and DTS(300HP) versions of the Northstar show measurements at different RPMs. That makes a performance comparison very problematic. Are there published torque curves available somewhere so that we can truly compare the two versions at the same and different RPMs? I doubt that there exists a true performance difference that we can feel in the real world and expect a "marketing" explanation but would like to know.
    The link you are looking for is
    www.gmpowertrain.com
    Shows all the HP and torque curves
    for all GM motors........geo
  • richm4richm4 Member Posts: 169
    It's been awfully quiet here lately...

Anyway, GM is offering 6K cash back on 2002 DTS's until 10/31. I am getting very tempted, but based on past model year closeouts, does anyone think GM may increase the cash back even more in November?
    After going crazy trying to get a new
    CTS on a GM employee deal. I bought
    a new Base Deville with all the goodies.
    Got 6k for my 96 ! Right after I bought
    the rebate went to 4k from 3k. Oh well
    nice car tho................geo
  • ckrullckrull Member Posts: 1
    I am the owner of a new 2002 Deville DTS. I have about 1300 miles on the car. Recently I started feeling excessive vibration in the cabin at highway speeds. I took it to the dealer and they replaced 2 tires, balanced the wheels, and aligned the wheels. I am still experiencing the vibration problem. The car is very tight, but I feel every imperfection in the road (even on a smooth stretch of highway). The dealer seems perplexed. Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so, do you know of a remedy? Thanks!
  • incontrolincontrol Member Posts: 12
    Bummer! I also have a 2002 DTS and it has been perfect in every way, not the slightest little problem since last March. But enough about me......:) I'm guessing they replaced your front tires. If you still feel vibration in the car, perhaps the rear needs the same treatment. Best of luck.
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    01 DTS black/black 17" chrome,nightvision , nav +... 42 K miles dealer asking 33K it was a lease turn in ..What do you guys think ?
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Local dealer has a 2002 Seville STS, 22,000 miles, a 'demo', owner's wife's car.

Asking $35,000. No takers for 3 weeks.

Seems like your 2001 Deville is overpriced at $33,000.
    Take a trip over to the smart shopper
    thread...Real world trade values....
    Those guys can hit ya with the RIGHT
    price !
    Still loving my 02 Deville ! No probs.
    at all. Its tough prying the keys from
    the BOSS hand tho!.......geo
    I love my 2002 Seville STS. No problems with "the boss." She has her own Chevrolet Impala.
  • baron87baron87 Member Posts: 93
    http://media.gm.com/events/sema/02sema/cadillac/dts_icon.html

It's the Cadillac DTS Icon concept car. Looks like Cadillac has finally devoted some time and money to developing the DeVille. This vehicle's loaded up like a Jaguar XJ!! Finally, the DTS in it's true form...

My Caddy Heritage of Ownership medallion !
    Its sure different than the other style of
    round ones gold or pewter ! This one looks
    like a golf putter wedge. The numbered cert. that comes with it says "the pattern for your
    new medallion has been taken directly from the
    design cues of the new 2002 Cadillac."
    Hope the weather holds out expecting snow in
    northern NY ! Wanna install it ASAP ! I prob.
    will be out snowplowing instead !....lol.geo
  • geartwistergeartwister Member Posts: 1
    I still have my 95 Concours which burned 2 qts oil in under 1500 miles. Cadillac replaced the engine at 70k under extended warranty. My wife still drives it at l78k and no oil comsumption problems. I heard from the cadillac people that the piston rings were changed from the original design.

I now drive a 98 concours with 71k that has no oil comsumption problems.

The difference between the 275 hp motor and the 300 hp motor is all in the camshafts. The 300 motor developes its horsepower at higher rpms. These motors are a blast to drive
  • mcfinsermcfinser Member Posts: 7
    Just returned from an 11,000 mile trip across US. 2001 DTS was exceptional Averaged 24.5 mpg at speeds of 70 - 85 mph. Noticed message center warnings in cold weather.
  • mcfinsermcfinser Member Posts: 7
    Have 2001 DTS with 45000 miles. Notice a lot of "sparklies" in windshield when sun hits it. No pits on outside of windshild. Anyone else have this problem?
  • snomojoesnomojoe Member Posts: 14
    You obviously have a pitted windshiels. Use your $100 deductible and get a new one.
    I noticed that on my 02....ICE POSSIBLE
    message since its been in the 20s in
    northern NY.
    ALSO i have read that on newer Caddys
    you can have your name programed into
    the message center by a Caddy Dealer.
    ..................geo
  • richm4richm4 Member Posts: 169
    Is a $6,000 rebate worth taking on a 2002 DTS when factoring in the automatic depreciation of it being 1 year old when driving it off the lot, (I keep my cars for 5 years)?

I'd be willing to wait for an 03 in the spring if I knew GM would be offering a $3K or $4K rebate.
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    When is the deville expected to be redesigned ?
    I was faced with a similar decision last month and decided to go with the 2002 and a big discount. I also plan on keeping the car for a long time and when I looked at the resale values of cars currently 5-6 years old, the one year difference in their model years didn't seem to make that much difference. You won't get much for a five year old cadillac one way or the other. Having teen aged kids to hand it down to in the future (if they are willing to accept "an old man's car" at that point without extensive complaints helped in my decision making.
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    The Deville was all new in 2000. Probably the next all new design will be the 06 or 07 model year. A lot depends on how the car sells between now and then. The Seville is moving to the rear wheel drive CTS (sigma) platform and what happens to the Deville will probably depend on how the sigma platform cars do.
    When shopping this year for a 02 base Deville.
    (Wanted CTS...Dealers would not do GM employee
    discount). I looked at ex-rental 02s with 20k
    miles for 29k. Bought a new base Deville with
    bose, chromies, bunwarmers,hole in roof, with
    my GM employee discount, rebate, cad loyalty
    bonus, GM MC cash, 33k otd. I figured since I
    will keep it 5-6 yrs and 100k plus miles. I
    figured for 4k more I had a NEW car. Sure
    when I trade it I know it won't be worth much !