Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• My new Deville heater does not heat up the car as my older Deville DHS did. They say the redid the heat vents due to the added feature of airducts in the seats. It is unsatisfactory in cold weather...the steering wheel is hot but NOT the heat coming down on the floor. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • I saw an article today in the Wall Street Journal stating that Cadillac sales would surpass 200,000 units this year - a 10 year high. This news surprised me: I must not have been paying attention this year.
    There was no model breakdown in the article - is it the new Cadillac models that account for all the increase? I am sure somebody here has access to the particulars.
  • Can you say Escalade or CTS! Also learn SRX.

I have seen a ton of new Escalades and CTS's and three new SRX's on my commute (101 Ventura)
  • It does seem these new Cadillacs are stirring up interest. My son is in 3rd year of engineering and he and his buddies talk about the CTS-V, DTS and SRX with real interest.
    The highest sales level in 10 years - this seems to signal a real revival. Only a year or two ago many of us were predicting a continuing decline for the Cadillac brand due to the myopia of management.
    I for one am glad that GM has responded so well and look forward to more exciting models from the wreath and crest marque.
  • "Only a year or two ago many of us were predicting a continuing decline for the Cadillac brand due to the myopia of management."

If they kept making the same cars, yeah, but not now.
  • I am 31 years old and I just purchased a 93 Caddy Sedan Deville with 108k + for mileage. I bought it from a dealer as is with no warranties. I had to move quick as my last car was just totaled. I also don't know cars or anyone in this area who does. My concern is how to find out about trans. fluid history before my acquisition. Carfax shows history, but I need numbers to speak to someone as to verification. No garage wants to touch it, since I don't have records to show when it was last done. Please help!

Shawn Tripp
    Dallas, TX 75287
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    Simply change the fluid. Based on my experience with the 4L60E transmision, do not expect more than 50,000 miles from it. If your transmission is original, I would plan on spending $2,000 very soon. You may be lucky, and changing the fluid regularily does help. An old wives tale suggests that replacing old fluid with new will cause leaks. Changing the fluid requires removing the pan, and is a good opportunity to check the grit in the bottom of the pan. The transmission will last longer if you install an aftermarket deep pan, or the deep pan GM uses on the trucks.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,205
    Does the 1994 DeVille have the 4L60E transmission?
    If so, I did extremely well for the car had no transmission issues for the 96K miles I put on it since I purchased it in November 1993. I changed the fluid and filter every 30K.
  • I am the proud owner of a 2000 DTS,nicely optioned and am very satisified with the car.This is the second Cadillac we have purchased, my wifes car is a 94 Eldorado ETC that we bought back in 1996. We like to buy them approximtely 2 years old with 2X,XXX miles on them with the factory certification. Our dealer has provided excellent service on all the problems although we had to push a little on wifes car right before the 6yr/70 mile warrenty ran out , but they put in a brand new long block Northstar (the oil control ring on the #8 cylinder never fully seated). Taking care of us like that has kept me very satisifed with Cadillac. The Eldorado now has over 120,000 miles and we've done a starter under warrenty, a ac compressor and an alternator with only the last two out of pocket.Cadillac may not be a car for everyone, and everyone may not get excellent service but we get our monies worth. We love the smooth, yet powerful 300 hp that passes young punks with authority and the smooth ride and good handling.We get alot of complements on the car (silver with chrome wheels) and it has been well worth the price we paid for it. In both purchases i could have gotten a slightly older, somewhat higher mileage Lexus LS400 for about the same money but i have no regrets. The Lexus is totally DEVOID of any sole or fun and when you review the 15,000, 30,000 60,000 & 90,000 mile maintance cost, you can damn well pay for a few repairs out that. Plus if you were to do the somewhat excessive maintainance on your Caddy if would last alot longer as well. You give me 150,000 -200,000 fairly trouble free miles and i am ready to get a newer one anyway.DTS, it "rides like a Cadillac" Elvis
  • I just went back and read some of the older messages. I bought the Dunlop SP Sport A2 for my DTS and i would NEVER recommend them to anyone. My local dealer had to order them and they barely look like they have tread on them when they are brand new and the wear up to this point has been TERRIBLE.I will go back to Michelin and even the original equipment Goodyears were far superior !!! I bought them based on comments i read on line and i wish i hadnt ! Elvis
  • another older message read. My dealer just recently replaced my dash top under warrenty. The service writer told me Cadillac knows there has been a problem in this area so it really wont be news to them.It may not be possible to get them to help this time, but you might try this.I wrote Cadillac's regional or distric manager when i had an engine problem on my wifes Eldorado.I started out very nice detailing everything i liked about Cadillac and the car. Then i detailed the problem and explained that as this was a "Cadillac" of vehicles that i had every expectation of high quality. Lastly i reminded them i bought my first Cadillac at age 38 and how many future sales would they pass up if they didnt treat me right (i was about 42 at the time). I sent copies to Cadillac headquarters as well. The next thing i know i have a brand new long block in my car.Also the service manager told me naturally the dealer/factory looks at things like did you buy it here, do you have it serviced here (maybe it shouldnt but it DOES make a difference !! I even take my service writer out to linch about once a year. It only cost a few bucks but he always takes care of me ! Elvis
  • mlm4mlm4 Posts: 401
    I'd bribe my service advisor too, but the turnover is so high that every time I visit the dealer (fortunately, not often), new people are working there ("Have you had your car in here before, sir?").

I agree with your assessment of the Lexus. I've driven the LS430 and it's an extremely well-built car but it has zero personality. It's like piloting a La-Z-Boy. I only wish the big Caddy had rear-wheel drive...
  • I agree the dealership can really make a difference in your ownership experience.My dealer has a fairly low turnover on people and most of the key people have been there for years and years.The work isnt cheap ,but it is quality and they stand behind it.I have probably at least 2 other Cadillac dealers who are closer and certainly alot more convenient, but i stick with mine because in the final analysis they are worth it. You might try a different Cadillac dealer if it is practical, it sounds like you dont have much to lose,Good luck to you and Merry Christmas ! Elvis
  • hydra2hydra2 Posts: 114
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the Dunlop tires. How many miles did you get before you noticed the excessive wear?

The excessive wear characteristic of the Dunlop was pointed out in several of the previous posts, including mine. The specific Dunlop tire is rated as a high performance sport tire, tires with this rating normally wear faster than touring or oem tires. Dunlop is also a value brand (if you shop around). For the performance (and sometimes the price)some people are willing to live with the excessive wear at 15k to 2xk miles. The michilin pilots recommended as the top choice in my earlier post would wear much longer, but they would also cost much more.
  • A 1998 Cadillac De Ville with 18,000 miles in immaculate condition, standard sedan with a few extras amounting to around $1200. They,re asking $13,500.
  • the dip- stick on my 1998 De Ville indicated oil usage being down two horizontal lines from the max line. Thinking each line represented one quart low, I added two quarts after which the dip
    stick indicated slightly over the the max line.

If I over filled, what are the consequences? Does anyone know for sure if each line indicates one
    quart? How do others deal with De Ville oil usage and adding between oil changes? All responses appreciated.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,205
    ...if the oil isn't way above the "MAX" line, you should be OK. I think when oil is at the "ADD" level, it's about 2 quarts low. If your vehicle has the Northstar V-8, it takes 8 quarts versus the usual 5.

Not sure, but I've heard that overfilling the oil pan could lead to problems with oil pressure.
  • The oil level appears to be slightly above the max line. To be on the safe side will try to drive to the dealer on Monday morning to check.
    Distance is about 15 miles so would imagine I can make it without to much problem.

Evidently those horizontal lines on the dip stick are not for one quart each as it was two lines down and I added two quarts. I have been reading up on Northstar engines and oil consumption and it seems that running with less than maximum oil is a good idea and according to some actually reduces oil consumption.
  • On taking the car to the dealer it turns out that I had over filled the engine oil. Since I drove directly to the dealer, there was no damage for the short distance travelled with the overage.

In the future I won't worry about the oil being down a quart as I have been told that there is no compromise in performance unless you are below about 6 quarts, this refers to the Nortstar engine, 1998 vintage. I always carry a quart of oil in the trunk for emergencies and am told that the dash would indicate oil down after about 2 1/2 quarts. The indicator has never come
    on in the close to three years I've owned the car.

In my opinion there has been to much publicity about the Northstar engine and burning oil, I would be interested in knowing how other Cadillac owners with Northsar engines feel about this.
  • Thanks for the info on the oil level as I just purchased a 98 De Ville and will have to keep an eye on it
  • hydra2hydra2 Posts: 114
    You're right, many owners are paranoid about the oil level and oil burning issue. This is often compounded by the fact that many people have trouble getting reliable/consistent dip stick readings when the engine is hot.

Personally, I always check while the engine is cold, at least once or twice a week. This works even on a moderate trip of a few hundred miles, since you are unlikely to burn more than a quart of oil under the worst of conditions. I check it at each fuel stop, but don't add oil unless it is way low. I check it again the following morning and add oil, if needed.

Remember, it is better to be a little under than a little over. Try adding oil, when needed, in 1/4 or 1/2 quart increments on a daily basis until you develop a feel for how to safely reach the full mark on the dip stick.
  • I don't think it's that important to check oil more than once a month unless your Northstar burns a lot of oil. As has been explained to me by my dealer after my recent experience.

Don't think the engine would perform any different with one quart down and as I understand it the oil low message would come on automatically (not the oil pressure message)
    if you were down over two quarts.

According to the crew that service my car there would not most likely be a problem unless you were under five quarts. And the oil low message should have flashed on the message board by then.
    It now turns out that my Northstar is burning about 1/2 quart or less per 1000 miles. I was under the mistaken impression that each horizontal line on the dip stick meant 1 quart low but in realty it is a fraction of a quart.

Hope this helps and would be eager to have further information based on others experience.
  • Do you know of a consultant or company who would match my repair records with my GMPD extended warranty contract to give me a roadmap, so I could talk with GMPD Warranty Department about the continued electrical problems and the repairs I already paid on my 1999 Cadillac 4Door Sedan Deville? Who should I talk to with the extended warranty division of GMPD?
    The Cadillac dealer who repaired my car, which had another problem this week, the dealer repaired 12 times before this week, the service manager for the dealer told me today the car has electrical problems, the he can't repair the car.
    What type of settlements have you heard about
    with GM Cadillac Division Warranty Department?
    Desparately in need of suggestions!
  • we own 2 northstar equipped caddys, a 94 ETC and a 00 DTS. Cadillac replaced the 94 engine at the end of the extended warrenty (almost 70k miles). when they pulled it down the #8 oil control ring had never fully seated. It would use at least 1 1/2 qt oil between 3k mile oil changes and most of the time it was 2 quarts or more.I was told up to 3 quarts between was "normal" and i told them i wouldnt accept that in a Chevy , much less a Cadillac. The replacement Northstar uses some oil but maybe only a quart or so between changes. The 00 DTS uses a little oil but not much (currently 47,000 miles). I am resigned that they are are going to use some oil and the only way i think you can look at it is that oil is what, $1.50 a quart or so , and it is a small price to pay for the power and reasonable good fuel econony on a big ole luxo-barge like the DTS.Other than bragging rights "it's never used a drop of oil", it doesnt seem to effect the durability of the engine so i refuse to worry about it. My next set of tires will be the Michelins, i have run them for years and only did the Dunlops after paying too much attention to the online ratings and write ups i saw. I had prior Dunlop experience years ago when i had a Toyota Celica GTS,the Dunlops did extremely well on that car, handling and tire life but i think the Michelins will actually be cheaper when i figure the cost per mile. Live and learn, back to Michelin ! Elvis
  • Today, I looked over a 94 SDV: it has a 4.9 with 134,000. Apparently the Northstar was an option. Its in immaculate condition w/ a cloth top, heated seats, remote trunk and door locks, and chrome wheels, and gold ornamentation, just to mention some of the options. My concern is the engine and drivetrain. The previous years had the 4.9, and from what I understand, was a successful engine. My sister has one in a 91 with 280,000. She wants it to last until she retires next summer then buy another new one. But does the 4.9 work well in the 94? Is the drivetrain the same as the earlier model or is it the same car with different sheet metal? Asking price is $5,000.
  • When changing the engine oil I noticed an oil leak. Since I could not tell exactly where the oil was coming from I took it to a shop where the technician told me the oil was coming from the half case seal and estimated about $2000.00 in repairs. He also told me that it is a problem common to the Northstar engine. My car is a 2000 Deville with 58000 mi.
  • goodyrlgoodyrl Posts: 83
    2003 DHS. ABS light on dash came on for about 30 minutes today. I stopped at an errand and next time I started the car the ABS light was off. Any idea why it stayed on & what I should look for? THANKS
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,676
    to check oil is either cold, after sitting overnight (vicscosity at its thickest) or one hour after running the engine, it is warm, but the oil had drained from the upper engine into the pan, and it's viscosity is thinner...the lines on most dipsticks is just a reference point but rarely means a "quantity certain" such as a quart of oil...the lines just give a reference point to know "more" or "less" oil...the only time it is usually checked right after turning off the engine is after an oil change, when the engine is turned on to fill up the oil filter, which can take up to a qaurt of oil, depedning on the size...even then, it would be proper to run the engine for a minute to fill the filter, then shut it off and wait at least 30 min to drain back into the pan, but who actually sits at the dealer waiting 30 min for the oil to drain back...so, as long as it is above the minimum line on the dipstick, but less than the top line, it is assumed that the oil quantity is proper...checking at home would be great followup if everybody did it...
  • I AM TRYING TO SELL A 2000 DE VILLE, CASHMERE COLOR, LEATHER INTERIOR, ONSTAR, NORTHSTAR (SIC?), AM/FM/SINGLE CD, PARK DISTANCE CONTROL, HTD FRONT & REAR SEATS, CHROME WHEELS, GARAGE DOOR OPENER, REAR & SIDE AIRBAGS, AUTOMATIC STABILITY CONTROL, INTERIOR AND EXTERIOR IN GREAT CONDITION WITH THE EXCEPTION OF A SMALL SCRATCH (KEYED?) ON THE DRIVERS SIDE DOOR. THE CADDY HAS 42,200 MILES ON IT AND IS UNDER WARRANTY UNTIL 50K OR UNTIL NOVEMBER 2004. IT IS NOT BEING DRIVEN AS THE OWNER IS DECEASED BUT CADILLAC HAS SERVICED IT AND RESET ALL COMPUTERS. THEY SAID IT IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION, MECHANICALLY. I AM TRYING TO SELL IT MYSELF BUT AM NOT HAVING MUCH LUCK. I, ORIGINALLY, LISTED IT IN AUGUST 2003 FOR $20,500 AND AM NOW DOWN TO $17,500. ACCORDING TO EDMUNDS AND KELLY'S BLUE BOOK THIS PRICE IS NOT UNREASONABLE, SO WHY AM I HAVING SUCH A HARD TIME GETTING RID OF IT? PLEASE GIVE ME SOME GOOD ADVICE IS YOU HAVE ANY.
  • I know someone who buys a new Deville every few years and sells the old one himself instead of trading it in. His best tactic is to park near or in church parking lots on Sunday mornings. He'd always get calls/offers during the following days.