Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• elvisdtselvisdts Member Posts: 6
    another older message read. My dealer just recently replaced my dash top under warrenty. The service writer told me Cadillac knows there has been a problem in this area so it really wont be news to them.It may not be possible to get them to help this time, but you might try this.I wrote Cadillac's regional or distric manager when i had an engine problem on my wifes Eldorado.I started out very nice detailing everything i liked about Cadillac and the car. Then i detailed the problem and explained that as this was a "Cadillac" of vehicles that i had every expectation of high quality. Lastly i reminded them i bought my first Cadillac at age 38 and how many future sales would they pass up if they didnt treat me right (i was about 42 at the time). I sent copies to Cadillac headquarters as well. The next thing i know i have a brand new long block in my car.Also the service manager told me naturally the dealer/factory looks at things like did you buy it here, do you have it serviced here (maybe it shouldnt but it DOES make a difference !! I even take my service writer out to linch about once a year. It only cost a few bucks but he always takes care of me ! Elvis
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    I'd bribe my service advisor too, but the turnover is so high that every time I visit the dealer (fortunately, not often), new people are working there ("Have you had your car in here before, sir?").

I agree with your assessment of the Lexus. I've driven the LS430 and it's an extremely well-built car but it has zero personality. It's like piloting a La-Z-Boy. I only wish the big Caddy had rear-wheel drive...
    I agree the dealership can really make a difference in your ownership experience.My dealer has a fairly low turnover on people and most of the key people have been there for years and years.The work isnt cheap ,but it is quality and they stand behind it.I have probably at least 2 other Cadillac dealers who are closer and certainly alot more convenient, but i stick with mine because in the final analysis they are worth it. You might try a different Cadillac dealer if it is practical, it sounds like you dont have much to lose,Good luck to you and Merry Christmas ! Elvis
  • hydra2hydra2 Member Posts: 114
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the Dunlop tires. How many miles did you get before you noticed the excessive wear?

The excessive wear characteristic of the Dunlop was pointed out in several of the previous posts, including mine. The specific Dunlop tire is rated as a high performance sport tire, tires with this rating normally wear faster than touring or oem tires. Dunlop is also a value brand (if you shop around). For the performance (and sometimes the price)some people are willing to live with the excessive wear at 15k to 2xk miles. The michilin pilots recommended as the top choice in my earlier post would wear much longer, but they would also cost much more.
  • trainiactrainiac Member Posts: 24
    A 1998 Cadillac De Ville with 18,000 miles in immaculate condition, standard sedan with a few extras amounting to around $1200. They,re asking $13,500.
  • bremertongbremertong Member Posts: 436
    the dip- stick on my 1998 De Ville indicated oil usage being down two horizontal lines from the max line. Thinking each line represented one quart low, I added two quarts after which the dip
    stick indicated slightly over the the max line.

If I over filled, what are the consequences? Does anyone know for sure if each line indicates one
    quart? How do others deal with De Ville oil usage and adding between oil changes? All responses appreciated.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...if the oil isn't way above the "MAX" line, you should be OK. I think when oil is at the "ADD" level, it's about 2 quarts low. If your vehicle has the Northstar V-8, it takes 8 quarts versus the usual 5.

Not sure, but I've heard that overfilling the oil pan could lead to problems with oil pressure.
    The oil level appears to be slightly above the max line. To be on the safe side will try to drive to the dealer on Monday morning to check.
    Distance is about 15 miles so would imagine I can make it without to much problem.

Evidently those horizontal lines on the dip stick are not for one quart each as it was two lines down and I added two quarts. I have been reading up on Northstar engines and oil consumption and it seems that running with less than maximum oil is a good idea and according to some actually reduces oil consumption.
    On taking the car to the dealer it turns out that I had over filled the engine oil. Since I drove directly to the dealer, there was no damage for the short distance travelled with the overage.

In the future I won't worry about the oil being down a quart as I have been told that there is no compromise in performance unless you are below about 6 quarts, this refers to the Nortstar engine, 1998 vintage. I always carry a quart of oil in the trunk for emergencies and am told that the dash would indicate oil down after about 2 1/2 quarts. The indicator has never come
    on in the close to three years I've owned the car.

In my opinion there has been to much publicity about the Northstar engine and burning oil, I would be interested in knowing how other Cadillac owners with Northsar engines feel about this.
    Thanks for the info on the oil level as I just purchased a 98 De Ville and will have to keep an eye on it
    You're right, many owners are paranoid about the oil level and oil burning issue. This is often compounded by the fact that many people have trouble getting reliable/consistent dip stick readings when the engine is hot.

Personally, I always check while the engine is cold, at least once or twice a week. This works even on a moderate trip of a few hundred miles, since you are unlikely to burn more than a quart of oil under the worst of conditions. I check it at each fuel stop, but don't add oil unless it is way low. I check it again the following morning and add oil, if needed.

Remember, it is better to be a little under than a little over. Try adding oil, when needed, in 1/4 or 1/2 quart increments on a daily basis until you develop a feel for how to safely reach the full mark on the dip stick.
    I don't think it's that important to check oil more than once a month unless your Northstar burns a lot of oil. As has been explained to me by my dealer after my recent experience.

Don't think the engine would perform any different with one quart down and as I understand it the oil low message would come on automatically (not the oil pressure message)
    if you were down over two quarts.

According to the crew that service my car there would not most likely be a problem unless you were under five quarts. And the oil low message should have flashed on the message board by then.
    It now turns out that my Northstar is burning about 1/2 quart or less per 1000 miles. I was under the mistaken impression that each horizontal line on the dip stick meant 1 quart low but in realty it is a fraction of a quart.

Hope this helps and would be eager to have further information based on others experience.
  • alanjohn1alanjohn1 Member Posts: 2
    Do you know of a consultant or company who would match my repair records with my GMPD extended warranty contract to give me a roadmap, so I could talk with GMPD Warranty Department about the continued electrical problems and the repairs I already paid on my 1999 Cadillac 4Door Sedan Deville? Who should I talk to with the extended warranty division of GMPD?
    The Cadillac dealer who repaired my car, which had another problem this week, the dealer repaired 12 times before this week, the service manager for the dealer told me today the car has electrical problems, the he can't repair the car.
    What type of settlements have you heard about
    with GM Cadillac Division Warranty Department?
    Desparately in need of suggestions!
    we own 2 northstar equipped caddys, a 94 ETC and a 00 DTS. Cadillac replaced the 94 engine at the end of the extended warrenty (almost 70k miles). when they pulled it down the #8 oil control ring had never fully seated. It would use at least 1 1/2 qt oil between 3k mile oil changes and most of the time it was 2 quarts or more.I was told up to 3 quarts between was "normal" and i told them i wouldnt accept that in a Chevy , much less a Cadillac. The replacement Northstar uses some oil but maybe only a quart or so between changes. The 00 DTS uses a little oil but not much (currently 47,000 miles). I am resigned that they are are going to use some oil and the only way i think you can look at it is that oil is what, $1.50 a quart or so , and it is a small price to pay for the power and reasonable good fuel econony on a big ole luxo-barge like the DTS.Other than bragging rights "it's never used a drop of oil", it doesnt seem to effect the durability of the engine so i refuse to worry about it. My next set of tires will be the Michelins, i have run them for years and only did the Dunlops after paying too much attention to the online ratings and write ups i saw. I had prior Dunlop experience years ago when i had a Toyota Celica GTS,the Dunlops did extremely well on that car, handling and tire life but i think the Michelins will actually be cheaper when i figure the cost per mile. Live and learn, back to Michelin ! Elvis
  • dsarff1dsarff1 Member Posts: 1
    Today, I looked over a 94 SDV: it has a 4.9 with 134,000. Apparently the Northstar was an option. Its in immaculate condition w/ a cloth top, heated seats, remote trunk and door locks, and chrome wheels, and gold ornamentation, just to mention some of the options. My concern is the engine and drivetrain. The previous years had the 4.9, and from what I understand, was a successful engine. My sister has one in a 91 with 280,000. She wants it to last until she retires next summer then buy another new one. But does the 4.9 work well in the 94? Is the drivetrain the same as the earlier model or is it the same car with different sheet metal? Asking price is $5,000.
  • happyvillahappyvilla Member Posts: 1
    When changing the engine oil I noticed an oil leak. Since I could not tell exactly where the oil was coming from I took it to a shop where the technician told me the oil was coming from the half case seal and estimated about $2000.00 in repairs. He also told me that it is a problem common to the Northstar engine. My car is a 2000 Deville with 58000 mi.
  • goodyrlgoodyrl Member Posts: 83
    2003 DHS. ABS light on dash came on for about 30 minutes today. I stopped at an errand and next time I started the car the ABS light was off. Any idea why it stayed on & what I should look for? THANKS
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    to check oil is either cold, after sitting overnight (vicscosity at its thickest) or one hour after running the engine, it is warm, but the oil had drained from the upper engine into the pan, and it's viscosity is thinner...the lines on most dipsticks is just a reference point but rarely means a "quantity certain" such as a quart of oil...the lines just give a reference point to know "more" or "less" oil...the only time it is usually checked right after turning off the engine is after an oil change, when the engine is turned on to fill up the oil filter, which can take up to a qaurt of oil, depedning on the size...even then, it would be proper to run the engine for a minute to fill the filter, then shut it off and wait at least 30 min to drain back into the pan, but who actually sits at the dealer waiting 30 min for the oil to drain back...so, as long as it is above the minimum line on the dipstick, but less than the top line, it is assumed that the oil quantity is proper...checking at home would be great followup if everybody did it...
  • goodfriend2goodfriend2 Member Posts: 1
    I AM TRYING TO SELL A 2000 DE VILLE, CASHMERE COLOR, LEATHER INTERIOR, ONSTAR, NORTHSTAR (SIC?), AM/FM/SINGLE CD, PARK DISTANCE CONTROL, HTD FRONT & REAR SEATS, CHROME WHEELS, GARAGE DOOR OPENER, REAR & SIDE AIRBAGS, AUTOMATIC STABILITY CONTROL, INTERIOR AND EXTERIOR IN GREAT CONDITION WITH THE EXCEPTION OF A SMALL SCRATCH (KEYED?) ON THE DRIVERS SIDE DOOR. THE CADDY HAS 42,200 MILES ON IT AND IS UNDER WARRANTY UNTIL 50K OR UNTIL NOVEMBER 2004. IT IS NOT BEING DRIVEN AS THE OWNER IS DECEASED BUT CADILLAC HAS SERVICED IT AND RESET ALL COMPUTERS. THEY SAID IT IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION, MECHANICALLY. I AM TRYING TO SELL IT MYSELF BUT AM NOT HAVING MUCH LUCK. I, ORIGINALLY, LISTED IT IN AUGUST 2003 FOR $20,500 AND AM NOW DOWN TO $17,500. ACCORDING TO EDMUNDS AND KELLY'S BLUE BOOK THIS PRICE IS NOT UNREASONABLE, SO WHY AM I HAVING SUCH A HARD TIME GETTING RID OF IT? PLEASE GIVE ME SOME GOOD ADVICE IS YOU HAVE ANY.
  • cornellpinoycornellpinoy Member Posts: 196
    I know someone who buys a new Deville every few years and sells the old one himself instead of trading it in. His best tactic is to park near or in church parking lots on Sunday mornings. He'd always get calls/offers during the following days.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You might want to check out the "Sell Your Car" link in "Partners" box on the left side of the page.
    I own a 98 Deville with 33,500 miles on it. During my ownership of close to three years I have always used premium gasoline as recommended
    by Cadillac for the 98 model year. In addition I have almost always used a bottle of STP fuel injector cleaner with each fill up. Recently I have alternated with Gumout octane booster and fuel injector cleaner. I am very satisfied with the performance of my Deville using both these products.

My only question is, could I be doing any unseen
    and deferred damage to the Northstar system using these products? Any response appreciated but those who have used these products or similar the feedback would be most helpful.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    You and others may not agree with my opinion...
    Most of the additives are transfer devices. They transfer money from your pocket to the company's pocket.

I've listened to several mechanics do talk shows on car repair for about 25 years. One recommends only Techron additive, by Chevron company. It contains the additives which were in Chevron's gasolines and recognized as best through the years. I find it at Advanced Auto parts (other stores with different names are part of the same chain), Pep Boys, Meijers Superstores in Mich, OH, KMart now.

He recommends it for what seems to be injector problems when there are symptoms. Then it's put in one bottle with the tank near empty, fill up per bottle size; run that through; then when near empty repeat with second bottle. If that doesn't clean the injectors, then greater help is needed. Do not repeat for 3000K or so.

Otherwise I put in a bottle every 10K or twice a year roughly.

There is a "fuel system cleaner" and an "injector" cleaner version. I suspect the injector cleaner is let potent since it's cheaper.

If you use only brand name fuels, you shouldn't really need any additives. (I used to buy nonalcohol fuels at a chain store about half and Shell/Chevron/Mobil half. Now I buy only Shell or Mobile name type brands.)

If you buy at some stations which are not main brand and/or contain alcohol in their fuels, I'd recommend this about the way I use it, unless you have some running symptoms that you think might be injectors-intake valves.

--just my opinion. Excuse the length. Others may have different opinions.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

98 De Ville. The gas cover to the tank won't release when activated by the remote. You can hear the clicking when the remote is pressed, but the door doesn't open. Trunk release lever seems to be all the way out and when pulled does not move, as though it never retracted to reset. Anyone have the answer as to reset this item? Thanks in advance, Rich.
    I also own a 98 Deville, have never had that particular problem. If no one else here replies with the information you need to correct, would suggest you take to nearest dealership (a call may suffice) as I suspect the would charge very little if anything to correct (ask first). Another idea would be to call Cadillac roadside service with the question in that they provide basic information free even after the vehicle is out of warranty.
    When you do correct the problem it would be helpful if you lets all know the outcome so those
    of us with similar problems and models will know how to correct.
    Thanks for the response, bremertong. High technogoly fixed this situation. Pull and push the hand lever in the trunk with your right hand while tapping the gas cover at the same time with your left hand will solve the problem. The little knob that retracts when activated by remote, releases the beveled latch on the gas cover door and allows it to open was stuck. A spray of WD-40 on the knob and now it works perfectly.
    TECHNOLOGY!!
  • traalfaztraalfaz Member Posts: 1
    You asked:

But does the 4.9 work well in the 94?

My answer, is YES. The 4.9 is a great engine and our Deville has run (so far) 135,000 miles without any major engine problems of any kind.

The electronics are way overengineered in Cadillacs and there's where our troubles lie. Around 134,000 the car would not hold a charge. My mech (independent, not a Cad dealer) checked things out for about 4 hours (charged me for 1.5) and all we could do is isolate the current drain to the power lock/seat/trunk circuit. Removed the CB from the engine bay and have had no problems other than no pwr locks, seats or trunk release.

That aside, mechanically the 4.9 is damn near bulletproof, IMHO, and worth buying. Can't speak to the price you quoted for your area, but that seems a tad high. I see 94 SDV's around here running about $3500-4000 USD...
    Does anyone know if the installation of a viper remote starter device, including a new key and all other remote operations included in that key will in any way hamper the short or long term viability of that original factory system? This is a 1998 De Ville. Thanks. Around $400.00
  • rhargettrhargett Member Posts: 5
    My 95 Sedan Deville will start fine when cold but once car warms up and I turn the ignition off, the car will not restart. However, after car sits for about 20 to 30 minutes, it does will start again. Originally thought this was a battery problem but the battery tested Good. Had fuel pump replaced about 1 year ago. Any suggestions for this problem ?
  • captkevcaptkev Member Posts: 14
    Hi Caddy owners,
                    My 2000 DTS has heated seats & I wondered if they are really supposed to get more than warm. I live up just North of Toronto, and boy has it been a cold winter so far. Average temperatures have been hovering around -10F nights to maybe -5F during the day. Question is, when switch for heat on door is pushed, it lights up, for either High, Med,or Low. But.... it dont seem to matter what position switch is set to, the front seats never seem to do anything but get lukewarm. I have checked out the fuse's under rear seat and they appear fine. Anyone out there with previous seat experiences? I can live without heated seats, but sure is nice too if they work. Yet again, maybe mine are not even working, and its only my body heat warming up the seat. Ah well, only another month of cold and we will be into balmy spring weather. Sure wish my folks had settled in California or Florida. Take care all.
  • barry45rpmbarry45rpm Member Posts: 98
    The original seat heaters in these cars got really nice & toasty, however, they failed with such regularity that a revised seat heater is available now. They don't get as hot as the original ones that were put in at the factory, & they heat up slower, but they don't fail either. Sounds like your seat heaters are shot. They are wired in series. The skins have to come off the seats & new back & bottom pads have to be installed. (Both front seats) The dealer probably has them in stock. its a 1 day job subbed out to a local upholstery shop. If you are under warranty do it. You will notice the difference.
  • captkevcaptkev Member Posts: 14
    Many thanks barry 45rpm for the info. Will probably have to take car into dealer as you advise. Just dislike the hassel of leaveing it in for the day, (or two), but luckily I am still under warranty.
    I own a 1998 Deville and have had the same problem. Engine starts up fine first time used
    but hesitates or on rare occasion stalls out on subsequent starts. My dealer has not been able to tell me what the problem is but says it is common to Deville. My concern of course is that one of these times it will not start. It is fresh on my mind as it stalled out on Monday (2/03) and then started, this again after it started fine when leaving home this morning.

One clue is it may have something to do with the time the key is held in the crank position to start the engine. If inadvertently held even a fraction of a second too long may it be flooding the engine. Why this would only happen after the first start of the day is a mystery to me.

Suggest you call Cadillac road service as they will answer general questions even after warranty
    is up without charge. I may call them myself as I have had this problem on occasion now for the close to three years I have owned the car.

If you find the answer or solve the problem please post the information so we will know and I will do the same.
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    Has the dealer checked the fuel pressure regulator? If it is leaking this can cause flooding which makes the car hard to start.
    Thanks, bremertong for your related experience with this problem.
    Thanks fjk57702 I will pursuit this with the dealer.
    While fuel pressure regulator may have something to do with the problem stated in message 1359, I doubt it is at the cause of the problem expressed in message 1363. Reason being that the
    stall out has only occurred occasionly and that
    when I wait about 30 seconds and re start the engine, it starts fine. It is still a mystery in that it has been doing this for most of the three years I have owned the car. Sometimes it won't happen for several weeks. I get most of my routine work through the mechanic where I bought the car. The one time I took the car to the GM dealer for an oil change they damaged a bumper so I avoid them whenever possible.
    So as long as the problem doesn't get worse I will probably live with it. I also checked my battery recently and was told it was charging at 660 out of a possible 770 when the car was new and that I shouldn't be concerned about the battery until it charges around 350. The car (98 Deville) currently has 34,000 miles on it.
  • stevev1stevev1 Member Posts: 14
    I have a chance to pick up an immaculate coupe, my brother in laws parent's florida car, original owners, 70,00 miles. I need a third car for local driving, will this bankrupt me in terms of maintenance, any particular quirks anyone may be aware of ? Thanks
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    I brought this up because my 98 Aurora did have a bad regulator and would be hard to start when parked for a short time but otherwise was ok. When I explained the problem to the dealer, they found that the fuel pressure regulator was leaking. This is something that they can check. (the Aurora has the same basic engine as the northstar - just smaller)
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    When I bought my 2003 Deville program car it only came with the owner's manual. The dealer gave me a leather folder that it goes in and the pan, pad, etc. The folder I have says "Cadillac" on the front with the logo and the pen says "Cadillac" on it. I have since discovered that the actual 2003 case simply has the color logo on the front and the pen does not say "Cadillac" on it. Does anyone know which year they used my folder and pen? I've since purchased the correct one from Ebay. I figured that somebody on the board will know.
    The owner's manuel is a pretty standard item. You can always by replacements from Helm (or e-bay). I think that the folders, pens and other do dads that come with it are often dealer specific. They are functional, but also often used for advertising purposes, like the liscense plate frames. Also, since most dealers own several different brands, it is possible that when manuel covers are misplaced in program, demo or used cars, that the dealer might press what ever is handy into service as replacements, as long as they don't have the wrong car name on them.
    I was told by an ebay seller that my folder that says "Cadillac" on it was used in the 2000 DeVille. Will someone with a 2000 Deville please look in their glove compartment and confirm this? Thanks much.
    On virtually every song or two, the CD player in my base 03 Deville (the non-Bose radio) skips for a millisecond . This doesn't happen on my 2001 Malibu or my Olds Silhouette. Before I take it in and have the dealer send the radio out is there a CD player cleaning disk? I think I have one for CD-ROMs. This skipping is not because of a rough road -it does it on glass smooth highways. Does anyone else have this problem? This was a program car with 30k miles and since it is Certified it is under GM warranty.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Is the 2000-present generation of DeVilles based on the same chassis the 1998-04 Sevilles sat on?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    The Sevilles, Aurora, LeSabre, Bonneville and share a platform called H???
    The Deville and Park Avenue share a similar (my opinion) but longer platform. Wheelbase is 1.5 inches longer for PA vs LeS.
    I believe I had this straight from someone's earlier message -- perhaps a year ago... in one of the GM forums.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    I'm back in the Cadillac ownership business.

A 1997 Deville d'Elegance (sp). It's in very good to excellant shape with 64,000 miles.

Want to make the wifie happy. She wanted anything, just so it was in the White Diamond color. She's not been happy since I sold her 1995 Concours.

Anyway. After buying the car (of course), I went to the Nat. Highway Transportation (NHTSB) site to check on recalls and complaints. There was one recall, and the car has a sticker under the hood indicating that one has been completed.

But - the NHTSB has 'many' (25 out of 230 total) 'complaints' about the headlight lens 'falling off' the 1997 Deville. So I check the car. The left lens has the 'glue' completely broken all around. It is just setting in place, with a rubber trim the only thing holding it in place. The right lens is not loose, but you can see inside where the adhesive is also breaking apart and falling inside. It's getting ready to go. Replacement for the pair of assemblies is supposed to be in the range of $700.

I'm looking for input on other people having or hearing about this problem. Does Cadillac have a 'hidden' warranty where they will cover all/part of this cost? Since this does seem to be a widespread failure.

I Cadillac won't help, I will probably attempt to use GE Silicone and just glue the lens back in place, after cleaning out all the old, cracked up adhesive inside, and cleaning the reflector area.

Any input will be appreciated.
  • lowscolalowscola Member Posts: 8
    Hello All,

I just purchased an 01 DHS Black with Night Vision Wednesday. So I am new to the Cadillac Owners Circle. When I got the car the dealer had lost the manual so I spent some time trying to find one. I was able to find an entry to GM's online archive were they have the manuals for all of their vehicles..they have Cadillac manuals from 1993 - present:

http://www.mygmlink.com/pdf/go2content/manual/US/en/cadillac/

...you can also go up in the ftp tree were you'll find other docs, recall and warranty info.

I'll post pics of my DHS as soon as possible.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Consumers' Most Wanted Vehicles for 2004 Survey is posted and ready for your input!
    I currently own a 1998 Deville with 35,000 miles.
    I generally trade cars when they get up around 50,000 miles. Am considering a Jaguar Sedan for my next car. Would probably buy a 2001 or 2002 with low mileage (under 30,000). Has anyone in this conference owned both a Cadillac and a Jaguar? How would you compare the two brands so far as Maintenance costs, ride, quality and general satisfaction is concerned from your own experience? Any feedback much appreciated.