Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• When I bought my 2003 Deville program car it only came with the owner's manual. The dealer gave me a leather folder that it goes in and the pan, pad, etc. The folder I have says "Cadillac" on the front with the logo and the pen says "Cadillac" on it. I have since discovered that the actual 2003 case simply has the color logo on the front and the pen does not say "Cadillac" on it. Does anyone know which year they used my folder and pen? I've since purchased the correct one from Ebay. I figured that somebody on the board will know.
  • hydra2hydra2 Posts: 114
    The owner's manuel is a pretty standard item. You can always by replacements from Helm (or e-bay). I think that the folders, pens and other do dads that come with it are often dealer specific. They are functional, but also often used for advertising purposes, like the liscense plate frames. Also, since most dealers own several different brands, it is possible that when manuel covers are misplaced in program, demo or used cars, that the dealer might press what ever is handy into service as replacements, as long as they don't have the wrong car name on them.
  • I was told by an ebay seller that my folder that says "Cadillac" on it was used in the 2000 DeVille. Will someone with a 2000 Deville please look in their glove compartment and confirm this? Thanks much.
  • On virtually every song or two, the CD player in my base 03 Deville (the non-Bose radio) skips for a millisecond . This doesn't happen on my 2001 Malibu or my Olds Silhouette. Before I take it in and have the dealer send the radio out is there a CD player cleaning disk? I think I have one for CD-ROMs. This skipping is not because of a rough road -it does it on glass smooth highways. Does anyone else have this problem? This was a program car with 30k miles and since it is Certified it is under GM warranty.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    Is the 2000-present generation of DeVilles based on the same chassis the 1998-04 Sevilles sat on?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,710
    The Sevilles, Aurora, LeSabre, Bonneville and share a platform called H???
    The Deville and Park Avenue share a similar (my opinion) but longer platform. Wheelbase is 1.5 inches longer for PA vs LeS.
    I believe I had this straight from someone's earlier message -- perhaps a year ago... in one of the GM forums.

This message has been approved.

• bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    I'm back in the Cadillac ownership business.

A 1997 Deville d'Elegance (sp). It's in very good to excellant shape with 64,000 miles.

Want to make the wifie happy. She wanted anything, just so it was in the White Diamond color. She's not been happy since I sold her 1995 Concours.

Anyway. After buying the car (of course), I went to the Nat. Highway Transportation (NHTSB) site to check on recalls and complaints. There was one recall, and the car has a sticker under the hood indicating that one has been completed.

But - the NHTSB has 'many' (25 out of 230 total) 'complaints' about the headlight lens 'falling off' the 1997 Deville. So I check the car. The left lens has the 'glue' completely broken all around. It is just setting in place, with a rubber trim the only thing holding it in place. The right lens is not loose, but you can see inside where the adhesive is also breaking apart and falling inside. It's getting ready to go. Replacement for the pair of assemblies is supposed to be in the range of $700.

I'm looking for input on other people having or hearing about this problem. Does Cadillac have a 'hidden' warranty where they will cover all/part of this cost? Since this does seem to be a widespread failure.

I Cadillac won't help, I will probably attempt to use GE Silicone and just glue the lens back in place, after cleaning out all the old, cracked up adhesive inside, and cleaning the reflector area.

Any input will be appreciated.
  • Hello All,

I just purchased an 01 DHS Black with Night Vision Wednesday. So I am new to the Cadillac Owners Circle. When I got the car the dealer had lost the manual so I spent some time trying to find one. I was able to find an entry to GM's online archive were they have the manuals for all of their vehicles..they have Cadillac manuals from 1993 - present:

http://www.mygmlink.com/pdf/go2content/manual/US/en/cadillac/

...you can also go up in the ftp tree were you'll find other docs, recall and warranty info.

I'll post pics of my DHS as soon as possible.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
  • bremertongbremertong Posts: 436
    I currently own a 1998 Deville with 35,000 miles.
    I generally trade cars when they get up around 50,000 miles. Am considering a Jaguar Sedan for my next car. Would probably buy a 2001 or 2002 with low mileage (under 30,000). Has anyone in this conference owned both a Cadillac and a Jaguar? How would you compare the two brands so far as Maintenance costs, ride, quality and general satisfaction is concerned from your own experience? Any feedback much appreciated.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Posts: 489
    Come on - There are thousands of Devilles out there. Doesn't anyone have anything to say about them?
    I own a 2002 dts and many of my friends own jags. Most of them love the looks(exterior and interior) and the prestige, but hate the fact that every jag model is rather unreliable, handle and ride ok but is not remarkable, has cramped interiors and cargo space. Each burns premium gas and (except the x type) is rwd. Each is rather pricey but deeply discounted.

A 2002 deville (dhs or dts) would probably be your best bet imho because: It would probably be more reliable than a 2001, it has more space than any jag and would probably be more reliable, it burns regular gas, it will have on star built in and possibly optional integrated boise stereo with xm radio, its fwd, dealers are not hard to find, it rides and handles suprisingly well for such a large car, it probably is quieter than the jag. Btw, the dhs/dts has analog instrumentation compared to the ugly digital readout in the base model deville which lacks some of the standard and optional features in the dhs/dts.
  • bremertongbremertong Posts: 436
    I have been very happy with my 98 Deville but must admit I love the appearance of the Jaguars.
    The practical considerations you mention outweigh
    the appearance issue and weigh heavily in favor of Cadillac. A major concern for me would be the reliability factor which by all accounts I have heard favor Cadillac. Another consideration is that there are no Jaguar dealers in my town but there is a Cadillac dealership.
  • lowscolalowscola Posts: 8
    I've had my DHS for a couple of weeks now and my impressions are stil pretty good. Before stating my opinions, a brief car history is in order to understand my perspective and see were I'm coming from.

1st car - 1990 Mazda MPV Black 4cyl - 17'' wheels
    2nd car - 1997 Ford Taurus Wagon Silver 6cyl - 17''wheels
    3rd car ( still have ) - 1993 Infiniti J30 Blue 6cyl ( same engine used in older 300z ) - 15''
    4th car - 1998 - Toyota Camry Blue 4cyl - this was my reasonable, reliable family car and pretty much the best car I've owned. The camry is hard to categorize, It was the perfect choice at the time for my situation ( new family, new job )- very logical and rational, but as we know logical and rational when it relates to cars usually equals boring....anyway on to the Caddy:

The car is very smooth and I'm impressed by its composure at cruising speeds in excess of 100 while still having plenty of throttle left and still not even breaking 3,000 RPM. During my commute every day I ensure that carbon deposits problems remain a non issue. I enjoy driving and this car makes my 60 mile-a-day commute so much easier. After a long day, I hop in, heat my seat, and get a massage while rolling down the hwy...it's lovely. Night vision is also a great toy and even better bragging point. I couldn't get enough of it at first, but now I leave it off most of the time.

I wanted a big car and this is indeed a very big car. I can't easily steer it with my knee as with other vehicles I've owned ( knee steering occurs while removing discs from cases, etc. ), and it has the turning radius of a truck. Also, the car has scared me a couple of times when cornering and braking. I quickly learned to approach turns much more cautiously and brake a little sooner. The car maintains a pretty good velocity once its up to speed even without additional throttle, and sometimes needs to be reined in accordingly. I don't really "hot-rod" and I do not drive recklessly, but I do enjoy driving. I also feel a sense of responsibility to re-instill the respect of Cadillac into my fellow motorists from time to time. I think a lot of people have the image of old people behind the wheels of Caddy's in their minds and don't realize that these cars are 300 ft-lbs torque monstors.

I think the overall cadillac image is changing for the better though. I was proud the other day to see a CTS in my rearview approaching fast as he77. People use to aspire to owning Cadillacs, but then that fell off for a while. I knew I wanted a large luxorious car and the price of entry for cadillac ownership was a steal. Were else can one find a better deal on a companies 3 year old luxury flagship sedan? People who purchased new may not have that same appreciation though. I think Cadillac will be OK with a little bit more attention paid to interior fit, finish, and design. My top of the line DHS has the rearview park assist and the display looks as if it was literally cut out from the headliner with a razor blade...rough edges and all. I can also stick my pinkey finger inside a few pannel gaps. And even though I have a sun roof on my DHS, why don't all Devilles come standard with sunroofs. Some small gripes, but some people may not be able to look past these things especially those people that buy brand new. Anyone seen a touregg interior?

All in all, I'm am very pleased with my car. I've washed it more in the past few weeks than I did the camry in 2.5 years. Sometimes I find myself smiling for no reason while I'm driving it...I think I may keep it for a long time.

...a few pics on http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/550831
  • lowscolalowscola Posts: 8
    I do my own oil changes and the first oil change I did on my caddy a few days after I got it reminded me I was in a different league. First off, my hydraulic jack which could hoist my Camry with ease, couldn't lift the Deville.

Ok..need new jack.

Anyway I managed to be able to slide under the car just enough to reach the oil pan plug and preceded to drain the oil. After 30 or 40 seconds I'm lying there thinking..this flow is still going as strong as when I first removed the plug. Needless to say I made a mess in my driveway. The oil pan I normally use didn't have enough capacity to hold the caddys oil.

Need new oil pan.

So I clean and tighten everything back up and proceed to get the oil I had left from an earlier case... 3..4..annnnd 5. That should do it...wright...wrong. The dip stick was still bone dry. Ok I forgot this is a big engine, let me grab another quart. Still nothing registering on the dipstick. Now I've worked In a shop before and I'm no stranger to oil changes but I rarely encountered engines that take more than 6 quarts of oil so I was skeptical about adding more because I didn't want to overfill it. So now I need all new equipment and 2 cases of oil. I wound up putting 7 quarts in, and have read varying reports that range between 7 - 8. Maybe I'll settle for 7.5 next time. Any thoughts?
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,071
    ...takes 8 quarts of oil. I haven't had the pleasure of changing the oil in my Northstar-equipped 2002 Seville STS yet. My previous car was a 1994 DeVille base with the 4.9 litre V-8. Changing the oil was a snap. The oil filter was easily accessible. One small turn with the oil filter wrench then you could twist it loose with your hand and remove it. I didn't need to jack the car to access the oil pan plug as well.

Does your oil pan plug still use a rubber O-ring that needs to replaced every time you change your oil? My '94 DeVille did. I got a handful of them from my dealer.
    You're more than welcome. Here are a few other considerations, for what they are worth:

1. Cadillac dealers may go the extra mile to deal in order to retain you as a caddy customer, it won't hurt to try to exert a little leverage when dealing, especially if you know approximate invoice/wholesale prices from sites like edmunds.
    2. Current model devilles (2000 - 2004) are good looking cars. I still get compliments on mine.
    3. You are spoiled and pampered by the: heated and massaging seats, memory seats and steering wheel, programmable auto lock/unlock, back up assist, sunshades (side/rear) (dhs), bucket seats and floor shifter (dts), heated outside mirrors, auto adjusting backup side view mirror, rain sense wipers, triple zone climate control (wives/significant others/backseat passengers love it and the heated seats), sophisticated trip computer, xm radio, onstar, night vision and nav system. Jags may have some of these features, but not all of them and probably not at such attractive prices.
    4. You may have to pay up for the extra goodies on the 2002 dhs/dts, especially one with all of the extra options (navi, xm radio, night vision, parking assist). Guesstimate is 27k-32k, a steal compared to 48k-55k [depending on region and negotiating skills] new selling prices before taxes and finance charges. Base 2002 devilles will be much cheaper and easier to find. If you don't need the extra interior goodies, they look the same on the outside, ride and handle almost as well as the pricier dhs/dts (if you can live with the digital dash)and are probably available in the 22-25k range. This and maybe some infiniti models represent value luxery, it borders on highway robbery ;)
    5. The Northstar engine. Nuff said.
    6. Just for the heck of it you might compare the best deal you can get on a loaded 2002 with a new 2004 from the same dealership. You may be surprised at your findings. Dealers who are overstocked with loaded new cars may give you a better deal if you've done your homework and they know you are considering a used model to save $$. The same may be true of the used car seller. Even though the loaded 2002 may be marked up due to scarcity and high demand, if your offer is reasonable and you let it be known that you'll consider buying new before being highly overcharged for a loaded 2002, you may get a surprisingly good deal. A final tactic which may work or backfire is to mention that you can buy a loaded new accord or camry for the same or less $$.
    7. Be sure to test drive each model. You will be surprised at the difference between the 02-04 caddy and your current model. Happy hunting and make sure to choose what you really like.
  • I'm the excited winner of a Cadillac DeVille in the GM Hot Button Game. And that's great. . . but I can't keep the car because I'll owe so much in taxes on it. The dealer I'm taking delivery from can only offer me 33K for this base model Deville with the Comfort and Convenience Package on it that stickers for $47,915. Another dealer has offered me a little more to trade it, but I still would like to get closer to what they are selling for. Anyone have any ideas on where I could privately sell this car?
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Posts: 489
    I'd pay the taxes even if you have to borrow the money and then sell the car on Ebay. If you aren't currently doing business on Ebay I'd find a friend or relative to put it on for you. I'd then sell it as an essentially new car. You should be able to get around 40 for it, perhaps more. 33 is highway robbery. This is way under dealer invoice. They ought to at least pay you what they have to pay GM for one.
  • volvodan1volvodan1 Posts: 196
    Problem is that even though the Deville is "new", it is still pre-owned. Sticker may be $47,900, but you can buy it for 39,900. That is not titled before, full tank of gas, brand spankin' new. So dealer is definately going to be well below invoice on trade in. They take it in on trade for $34/$35 ask 38/39ish and make a couple on it.