Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    >The new Avalon is actually a bigger car than the Lexus ES. The Avalon is probably a very good choice.

The Avalon used the Camry chassis, only lengthened, right? They call it new because they're used the newer Camry chassis vs the previous Avalon which used the previous Camry chassis.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• zapper1zapper1 Member Posts: 13
    No matter how fancy and the gold trim pkg. makes it no better looking.

Now a nice CTS or DeVille is a sweet ride with style..........

Does anyone here EVER give a camry a 2nd look?......(chuckle)
  • garybowgarybow Member Posts: 6
    I drove a 2001 Avalon for 50,000 miles and it was a great car. Waited anxiously for the new design, but Toyota shot themselves in the foot for me when they did away with the bench seat, and reduced the trunk size to 14.4 cu ft. So, bought a 2004 Deville. It has all the "geezer" gadgets, a large trunk, and I have had no problems in the first 15,000 miles. Changed the oil at 10,000 at Jiffy Lube for $34.
  • trainiac1trainiac1 Member Posts: 13
    Yeah! I'm still looking at the Seville STS. 2003. I have not looked at the new ones yet. I'm 6'3" and 215 lbs and the Seville seems rather cramped in both head room and width. I'll probably go for a used De Ville at short money. DTS of course. The Avalon is a nce looking car, but I agree I would miss the V8. It's tough to leave a Caddy!!!!
    I see posts at other Caddy forums about the new STS having LESS interior room than a CTS in side by side seat of the pants comparos from guys that are 6 ft. or taller..............

Heck......I see the old generation late model SLS/STSs in the paper for a HECK of a deal ......loaded V-8s too...........Quite the bargain !
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi zapper1 - did you get my response to your email? I need for you to reply to it, thanks.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    I've used the mid-level gasoline and regular. I've never noticed any difference in gas mileage, power, or anything else. Regular here in NM is 86 octane but that's what I've used (always Chevron or Exxon - never any off brands) and I averaged 31 on the last road trip (all highway driving).
    I used to drive Buicks and after the local Buick dealer (and zone office) refused to fix the creaking noise from one of the struts on a 2000 LeSabre (the car had 10k miles) -which I later learned was a faulty strut bearing -I sold the Buick and eventually bought a Cadillac. The local Chevrolet-Cadillac dealer says that Cadillac is very concerned with owner complaints and as long as the car is under warranty will do anything to resolve a problem. This is not the case with the other GM brands apparentely. I had a problem with wind noise from the right rear passenger door. After a new door weatherstrip did not solve the problem, the technician discovered -using a stethoscope - that the noise was coming from the middle of the vertical channel that the window slides up. The dealer ordered a replacement "part" which ended up being a whole assembly including the fixed glass. This is a $690 piece and it was installed which took several hours. I can assure anyone on this list that I will ALWAYS own at least one "certified" Cadillac. The manufacturer certainly stands behind the product. By the way, I did not purchase this 2003 Deville at my local dealer. I had a better selection in Ft. Worth -400 miles away. I have several other GM cars that are serviced here and am a car buff so I know the local service guys pretty well but the bottom line is that Cadillac service is top notch.
    I bought a 2006 Camry Solara SLE Convertible the other day and am not at all impressed with the ride. The car bounces quite a bit over city streets and yet the car writers praised the "smooth ride". My 2001 Malibu rides like a Cadillac compared to the Solara. I was interested in your opinion of the ride of your Avalon compared to the Deville. I have a 2003 Deville with 40k miles and haven't had any major problems thus far. The car was "certified" and when I got it it had 28k on it. I'm considering trading this new Solara in for an Avalon. What is your opinion thus far?
  • cappy4103cappy4103 Member Posts: 48
    I actually went to the dealership to buy a new 2005 Solara SE convertible, but bought the Avalon instead. Coming out of a DeVille and two Lincoln Continentals before that, the Solara was just too small and agree, the ride was horrible - very stiff! I loved by 2000 Lincoln Continental but thought I'd give a 2002 DeVille a try. Caddy ride was too soft and steering too vague for me, coming out of the Continental. I missed having the sportier ride and I couldn't afford an STS. The Avalon rode more like the Lincoln, with responsive steering and a more stiff ride, but not stiff to the point where I was going to jar a filling loose! Definately more stiff than the Caddy though.

Zapper1 - I liked the Caddy and a lot of things about it, like the looks, size, and the 275HP Norstar V-8. I didn't enjoy having the few problems that I had, that went unresolved by the sole dealership in my area, nor the way the car depreciated. Maybe I got a bad one? It happens. I'd consider a Caddy in the future, but I was ready for a change. The Avalon isn't for everyone, but it was a great decision for me. It is built off of a modified Camry chassis but it is definately not a Camry. The front bucket seats and center console in the Avalon were a draw back for me coming from the DeVille with a bench seat, but many other attributes of the car were favorable. The back seat in the Avalon feels bigger than in the DeVille with more leg room, and the seat backs can recline several inches. Also, that hump in the center of the floor in the back seat of the Caddy isn't present in the Avalon. The trunk is smaller, but still substantial in size. As for the six cylinder engine...it puts out 280HP and something like 260 ft lbs of torque, and is estimated at 22 mpg city and 31 mpg hwy! It performs equal to or better than the Norstar did in the DeVille, in my opinion so far.

One thing to keep in mind though, the Avalon is not built to compete with the DeVille, and costs about 60% as much. However, it provided me with a big car feel like the Cadillac did, and has an engine that is reminescent of the Norstar. It isn't as "plush" nor is the ride as "soft", but it appears to be a luxury car worth considering.
  • trainiac1trainiac1 Member Posts: 13
    I wouldn't buy a new one, STS, since I don't really care for the look. The one I'm interested in is a 2003 STS, loaded, Pearl White with a beige top. The problem is that my 98 De Ville runs so good without problems, that I hate to give it up. The STS is a little cramped for me. If you go to a dealer they will tell you to recline the seat so it feels as though you have more leg room, but you don't. Always with the gimmicks!!!! No rush, we'll see.
  • cgm707cgm707 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 1990 Cadillac DeVille with about 86,000 miles on it. I bought it from someone who seldom drove the car obviously. However I have had to put a fair amount of money into the car. The mechanic told me that some things that have to be fixed include:

- Transmission mount

- Exhaust manifold

- Struts & shocks

The car also leaks quite a bit of oil and I am told that to fix this would be very expensive.

Anyway, I want to sell the car and am wondering if these things should be fixed first, and what a fair price would be?

Thanks for any help.

Chris Milligan
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    If the exhaust manifold is leaking that could be dangerous and so should be first. Not sure about the rest. How much oil do you have to add? That might not be worth doing.
    That 90 has the pre N-star engine 4.5 0r 4.9 ? 180 hp. I had one and it ran like a
    bear and troublefree for 6 yrs. and 120k miles.

Your not talking a dealer mechanic are you? Sometimes all those service guys see is BIG $$$ on a older car repairs or don't want to mess with it.

Tranny mount...Hmmmm........Cracked manifold.......Bad exaust pipe donut gasket maybe?...Muffler shop will check for free.

Are you showing any trouble codes ?
  • propdrpropdr Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I am a current Cadillac owner and have had DeVilles befor. The most recent was a 93' new program car.
    I am getting rid of it only for upgrading and getting a different col;or.
    Can anybody tell me what I can expect for future problems or noted known resistance if any?

Would like to here from any one about this car.

Thanks,

Propdr
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    2000 Northstars are known for having the Crank Position Sensors (there are 2 of them) fail. This will kill the car dead in its tracks, at speed......

If you can research the car's service history, try to see if these have been replaced. If not, if the car suddenly dies, then re-starts immediately, without setting any codes, it's these sensors.....
    I appreciate your comments. It is really tough to get rid of my SLE with less than 100 miles on it but my wife likes it and since she is a realtor and spends $50 everytime she fills up her Avalanche she plans on driving it. I'll wait till fall and order a new 2006 Malibu Maxx and get rid of the 2001 Malibu. The Maxx rides like a Rolls Royce compared to the SLE convertible but my 2001 still has a nice ride after 75k miles. The ride does improve on the SLE though the faster you go on a smooth highway. I don't really like Toyotas but was thinking about the Avalon since the dealer would then cut me a deal with the SLE but I really like the ride of my 2003 Deville and don't really want any stiffer a suspension. The Deville only cost about $27k in January of 2004 because it was a Certified used one and has a great warranty -much better than a new Cadillac. I'll probably replace it in 2007 with a 2006 DTS. I'm glad that you agreed that the ride was lousy on the convertible. I thought that I was the only guy who ever had anything bad to say about the ride. Every car writer without exception praised the "smooth" ride. I don't know what they had driven before -perhaps an Echo.
    I've been reading the posts and saw the replies you were receiving. They are just two completely different cars. The Cadillac DeVille is one of the largest and most soft riding cars out there. The Solara, with a stiffer suspension and shorter wheelbase offers a completely different ride, one that I didn't care for coming out of a DeVille myself. I preferred something stiffer than the DeVille but more forgiving than the Solara. The Lincoln Continental was perfect for me, but they aren't made anymore. Avalon was a great compromise to me. I am new to the Toyota product line so I am not a diehard fan...yet. But I like what I've experienced so far. One favorable attributes of the Toyota(s) that I'm seeing compared to domestics is much higher resale values. In the event you do decide to dump the Solara, I suspect you'll do okay getting out of it compared to a similar situation in with a domestic car. However, if the bride likes it, keep it. That's a battle not worth fighting...regardless of the ride! ;) Good luck!
    I drove the top of the line Avalon and it rides very well. Unfortunately as I said, my wife doesn't want to turn in the SLE. I may be able to convince her to get rid of it this fall when I get a Malibu Maxx. She refuses to get rid of the '04 Avalanche either. We have four cars for two drivers and the Avalanche gets lousy mileage. Actually I probably should have driven the new 2005 Mustang convertible before I got the SLE. I've rented Mustangs before and never had any problem with the ride. Too late now unfortunately to make a switch.
  • guamdtsguamdts Member Posts: 1
    I just recently purchased a 2000 Deville DTS with 67,000 miles at a local dealership. I was just wondering if there are any unforseen problems that I might encounter with my ride??? Any information on this topic would be a great help.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Yup - you're gonna blow a head gasket at about 75,000 miles, sorry to tell you. They all seem to do it. Also, you could have problems with the head bolts when that is repaired, so make sure you use a qualified shop for the repair. You got a warranty, didn't you?
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Change the coolant now.

Use the long-life, 'orange' coolant, as recommended. (Do not use 'green' coolant.)

Put in the 'pellets' that Cadillac recommends. There usually is a sticker on the plastic cover at the front of the motor that gives the GM part number for these. Put 6 pellets into a radiator hose, do not put them into the tank under the 'radiator cap'.

Yes, Northstars are known to have head gasket problems. Not all of them. Many, many can go 200,000 miles without this happening. Changing the coolant every 3 years or so (even though the maintanence interval is 100,000 miles), is about the only thing that can be done to help reduce the possibility of head gasket problems. The 'pellets' are a sealant for leaks, and may stop a gasket problem from starting.

2000's are well known for a problem with 'crank sensors'. There are 2 sensors, both should probably be replaced. If they fail, the car will suddenly stop running, stall out. At any speed. The car will usually restart without anything needing to be done. But, a car going 'dead' at any speed is not a good thing. If you should know where the car previously was serviced, at a Cadillac dealership, they can pull all the service records for the car. The crank sensors might have already been changed. A redesign was done on them, so replacements should not fail. If I had a 2000, with unknown service history, I would have the crank sensors replaced.

It is a complex car, with complex electronics. You may have problems.

The DTS has, I think, the 300hp motor, rather than the 275hp motor. This is a very powerful, smooth car that will give excellent milage - about 26/27mpg at 75mph with AC going (or better). It can run on regular or mid-grade gas, with probably less power, and you might hear a 'ping' before the knock sensors retard the timing. But it will run on less than premium gas, and will not harm the motor.

Northstars are also known to burn oil. If you apply frequent 'wide open throttle' (WOT) applications to the car, it will reduce or almost eliminate excessive oil usage in many cases. And it is loads of fun. I'm not talking about driving it on the freeway up to 90mph. I'm talking about getting the car warmed up, and from a rolling start (no need to actually strain the car with a dragstrip start), floor that sucker and wind it out to the 6,500rpm upshifts in the first 3 gears. You will be doing about 95mph at that point. If the car has been 'babied' all its life, you will probably see a cloud of black or brown smoke come out of the exhausts when you do this. Do this several times. Do is every few weeks.

You are not 'seating the rings'. What happens is 'babying' the car allows the rings to 'stick' in the grooves. And oil will blowby and be burned. WOT will free up the rings and reduce blowby.

Buying the car used, someone else has taken the huge depreciation in value that occurs in a Cadillac in the first year. Drive this sucker for a few years, then consider it a throwaway. Sell it for a few thousand dollars and move on.

At 100,000 miles, change the plugs and wires. Use only AC Delco plugs and factory wires. These, especially the wires, are expensive, but aftermarket will probably cause problems (wires). It's then good for another 100,000 miles.

The car has a very extensive self-diagnoistic system that an owner can access through pushing buttons on the dash and getting readouts on the dash display. There are other places on the internet that will tell you how to enter this 'diagnoistic' process, and tell you what the 'codes readouts' mean. If you want to work on the car yourself, purchase the factory service manuals. Do not buy anything else, it is a waste of money.
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    IGNORE the anti GM troll in post #1827 ! His GM hate posts are all over these
    forums..........................

Hopefully you had you Caddy inspected before you purchased it. A wise move with ANY used vehicle.

Head gasket problems.............HA-HA !!!!!!!!!! Shows ya what some posters DON'T know ! (But think they do)

My 90 DeVille went 130k miles from NEW and scoffed at repair shops !
    My 96 DeVille N-star went 100k miles from new also and the only repair
    was a new fuel pump at 90k. NO head gaskets either......................
    My 03 DeVille just purrs............................

I run my Caddys HARD too...........Not afraid of a stop light drag or a WOT
    event.................

Ask those Ford boys how much a timing belt(s) change costs in their v-8s
    at 90k. A N-star uses chains that need no replacement !

Read back thru these forums and see how many N-star head gasket probs.
    you find.........................HA!

BOLIVAR is correct..........The new electronic gadgets on a Caddy or ANY
    $pendy new luxo barge are complicated and big $$$ to fix.
    But thats the price of admission to the club !!!!!....................good luck !
    or disk version of manual at
    helminc.com

That's who supplies the ones list in the owners book in teh glovebox.

I've bought manuals from them for cars since 1967.

Don't know if you'd find them on auction sites on the web or not.

• symphonicrock1symphonicrock1 Member Posts: 3
    I just acquired a '91 Sedan Deville with 143k miles and I have noticed some transmission noises. Predominantly when I accelerate quickly, on the attack the car hesitates for a fraction of a second and then it knocks. Not a loud knock, but you can feel and hear it grab. A friend told me that that is normal for FWD V8s and it was no big deal, but I want other opinions. Please advise.
    Sold it today!!!!! -$28.500 in Amarillo. So I lost a couple of thousand dollars but it was better than keeping it. My wife has gone back to the Avalanche -she began to admit that the Solara jiggled and rode stiffly. I bought a 2000 Mustang convertible -Performance red - from a girl at the office. 42,000 miles and it drives like a Cadillac compared to the Solara. Glad to dump the SLE - I liked the Avalon but already have a Deville that is bigger with a bigger trunk and rides better than the Avalon. Will stick to domestics from now on. Whatever I have in the driveway I'll always have one full size Cadillac and one Mustang convertible.
  • bremertongbremertong Member Posts: 436
    Was appreciative of your sharing your direct experience with Cadillacs. I owned a 98 Deville and presently own a 2004 Deville with 23, 000 miles on it. I have had few problems with either car so far. The present car may need a tie rod adjustment in that the wheel always seems slightly to the left and the cruise on the 2004 does not function as well as the 98 did even after three trips to the dealer.
    Overall though I am quite satisfied with the car, its performance and comfort. I will admit that the Chrysler dealership treated me better when I owned a Chrysler LHS. But when a car functions well you shouldn't have to spend much time at the dealership. I always did my oil changes at the dealership when I owned my Chrysler but avoid the local Cadillac dealership whenever I can. From what you stated I should with a little bit of luck get a long and enduring performance from my present 04 Deville.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I'm not a GM hater, George, and Bolivar substatiatiated what I said. For the record, no Ford V-8s use belts, they use timing chains too, so much for your expertise.
    Congratulations! It's much easier to move on to a different vehicle when you and the bride are on the same page! I agree, the Solara ride was too stiff for me. The Avalon was a nice compromise, but it's not a Cadillac. Sounds like you did well getting out of the Solara too. I'm sure that I'll buy a Cadillac again, but from a different dealer. Maybe I'll try the STS next time? I like the "sporty" suspension. My DeVille was just too soft for me.
    Correction NV. Should of posted "yota" uses belts in the v-8s not Ford.
    I STAND BY THE REST OF MY POST.....................NUFF SAID !!!!!!
    Have been following your cruise issues........My 03 is quirky also !

But if thats the only issue I have in 5 yrs. & 100k plus miles.......ME HAPPY ! :shades:
    The new 2006 DTS which replaces the Deville will be my next Cadillac. I'll wait till I can get a lease return with some options on it -certified from a Cadillac dealer of course, probably in 2007. My guy in Ft. Worth will be keeping his eye out for me. The DTS will be a single model with a number of option packages. Perhaps they will have a sport suspension option so that you can have the best of both worlds - a full size Cadillac but with a sport suspension. I'm waiting until I can see what comes standand and what is optional.
    The 2006 DTS will come in 4 trim levels, with the top trim level having the performance engine and suspension. I expect this will be more or less the old DTS.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    A tv reporter is hoping to talk with someone who wants to purchase a Cadillac. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info by May 31, 2005.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
    It would figure that the "top of the line" 2006 DeVille would be the one to offer the sportier stiff suspension! Just my luck! With my children quickly approaching college, I may have to look for a used 2006....in 2016 (smiles)!! Heck, by then I might be more inclined to the softer suspension of a lower priced base DeVille!
  • 04cad04cad Member Posts: 131
    Just got home from our trip to Florida from central Indiana. Our 04 Deville with just over 30,000 miles got just under 28 mpg on the trip down and 28.4 mpg on the trip home using the cheapest gas the stations offered. Not too bad for a luxury V8 and excellent ride and drive.
    Just returned from trip to Florida from central Indiana where the 2004 Deville's brakes performed flawlessly. I also got 28.4 mpg on the return trip with the cheapest gas the stations sold. I will definitely be looking for another Deville whenever we decide to update again.
  • tpylestpyles Member Posts: 1
    The dealers have a big "employee discount" event on going for the 2005 DHS. Price is attractive but rumor is that the DHS is either in its last year or it will undergo major changes for 2006. I may want to wait for the 2006.

Does anyone have any info on the upcomming model year that can assist me in my decision?
    The DeVille name will go away for 2006, replaced by the DTS. The DTS will have a new interior and a restyled body. I think bucket seats are standard, with bench seats optional. There will be a number of trims available - 4 I think, with different levels of equipment.
    That with a fine car like Deville there have been so few posts at this site lately. The product line has so many interesting and varied features that it is a surprise to me that so few people come to this site to share their questions and experiences. I have posted here many times in the past and have found many of the responses interesting, informative and helpful. Hope the activity here will pick up soon.
    We are pretty happy with our 04. The heated/cooled seats are a little firm for our taste, and the leg room isn't quite what you would think for a large sedan, but all in all for what is out there today and the cost, quite a bargain. We will definitely buy again.
    Hope all your cars are in good order !

My 03 has been just fine with no problems except for a quirky cruise
    control.
    With the price of gas I sure am loving 25 mpg plus average (as long as
    I can keep my foot outta it !) V-8 powered luxo barge.

I could NEVER imagine driving anything else...............

WELL a N-star powered SRX would be nice tho !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shades:
    I have a 2004 Deville, also has a quirky cruise. It rarely seems to engage at the speed set when the cruise light goes on, most of the time a few miles slower. Dealership (said they) changed the cruise module but no improvement. I am also happy with the car otherwise. What does your cruise do that you consider quirky? I suspect this problem could be easily corrected if we knew what part of the car is responsible. Have enjoyed and appreciated your previous posts in this conference.
    I have been following your cruise posts.

I think its us OLD timers fumbling with those goofy steering wheel buttons !
    I liked my 96s set up with the big "hooks" under the steering wheel center
    and the stalk button better.......................

I had the dealer check it out once............Annoying for sure but I can live
    with it..................

My 04 Chevy trucks cruise is always dead on no matter what even towing !
    But it has the easy to use turn stalk controls.................
    I blame it on the steering wheel buttons......................

Anyhoo.............If thats the only issue I have in my 5-6 years 100k plus
    miles I will continue to be a happy Cadillac owner and will prob. purchase
    another !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!........................... :)
  • tunes2tunes2 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2005 deville. dealer wants to change out the Vogue tires for michelin. Being told Vogue tires are bad for vibration issues at high speeds greater than 65mph. Has anyone experienced this problem. Could the vibration be something other than my vogue tires?
    I had the tire vibrations on my 01 chevy truck. I insisted the dealer swap the
    tires/wheels off another new truck.

Problem solved..........

Just have them swap a whole set of rims tires off another 05 and then go from there.

Were the Vogues a dealer add on item? If so somebody prob. messed up on the
    balancing or you could have a bad wheel or tire.

You didn't happen to clobber a curb or big pothole did ya ?
    We won't tell............................ :blush:
    If you check the wheels/tires with a Hunter 9700 Road Force balancer you'll find that there is a variation in the crush in the tires in different parts as they rotation under weight. They'll never roll "round."

When my service manager was trouble shooting minor out of balance on my LeSbre with Michelins, he said the Michelin replacement was the cure. I had bought the LeSabre model because it came with Michelins, always my tire of choice for replacements for 38 years.

Follow your dealer's advice.

• bushman3bushman3 Member Posts: 1
    they also made a4/6/8and i also have 3 caddies
  • fritzmannfritzmann Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Malibu which exhibits the same symptoms. I saw response 1367 - did you get the fuel pressure regulator replaced and did that correct the problem or was it something else entirely?
  • billo3billo3 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 DHS with 120,000 miles. I have had several problems during the 4 1/2
    years of ownership. Today I found one of the head gaskets is leaking and the
    transmission has a selenoid problem all of which could cost $ 6,000 to repair. I'm considering a 05 DHS but wonder about reliability. I like to drive my cars over 200,000 miles if possible. I would appreciate your opinion.