Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    The HEMI may have a little edge on the DeVille. But the STS V8 RWD would flat smoke it because of two reasons: Its a lighter vehicle and it has better gears and transmission. I would like to see the STS-V go up against the SRT-8 300. Just to humuliate that Chrysler. As for 100 mph stability, i've got mine up to 141 mph in Arizona ( can't say which city lol lol) until the top speed limiter cuts the fuel supply. Most 275 hp can go about 130 mph. I have a DTS, so it goes 141. Great for a 4500 pound vehicle.
  • bremertongbremertong Member Posts: 436
    Thanks for your interesting post regarding performance. It is my impression that the Northsar is a more modern technology than Hemi, am I correct in that regard? I don't get to drive that fast in that the speed limits around here are either 55 or 60 MPH. I like having the reserve power on two lane roads, have had a few instances where it was necessary to pass a car going under the speed limit, while I was in the left lane passing, the slower vehicle has on occasion sped up, the reserve power has gotten me through each time so far.
    You are ABSOLUTELY correct about the Northstar being more modern than the Hemi? That Hemi dates back some 50 years. That Northstar motor is one of the hightlights of not just domestic but foreign automotive advancements in our lifetime. This engine is so sophisticated that the JAPANESE (ie: Acura, Lexus, Infiniti) are still baffled at it. Now this Northstar motor is in its 2nd generation application with the start of the 320 hp SRX, then the XLR, now the STS. And now they are about supercharge it to develop well over 450 hp. That Hemi doesn't come close to how buttery smooth that dual overhead cam motor is with it's old-tech "pushrod" truck engine. Here's an example: My partner and I who are State Troopers participate in annual events in our state. This year he brought his 300-C in hopes of shredding my DeVille. Little did he know I was bringing the STS V8. The cars were side by side and all you could here were those pushrods clattering. The Hemi was so loud compared to my car that I made the mistake of restarting my car after it was still running. Thank God that GM made the starter with an override in it because I would fried my starter. To put it short, The Northstar is the guiding light for the Hemi. GET IT LOL
  • roady1roady1 Member Posts: 7
    I recently got my first Caddy. 05 Deville base model, no options. Love the car. I have been using 87 octane since I got it. I have taken 2 long trips with it , and it has plenty of power. Owner's manual says that 87 is normal. You can use higher for better performance or towing. I have not found it necessary. I would like to try 91 sometime to see if there is any difference. Not really needed to run car with normal driving. A Deville is not a race car. It does have a lot of power and gives you the things a Cadillac owner wants: Comfort , Ride, Room, and Trunk space.

I have other comments, but will save them for other messages.
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    The hemi in the Chrysler 300C is a new design and has nothing to do with the hemi of the 50's. So, if anything, the Northstar is the old design.
    I use premium in the 2002 Seville LS (275 hp version). I find that the premium provides a slight improvement in performance during shifts, but otherwise no obvious difference. My choices here are 85 octane or 88 octane ethanol or the premium.
    The hemispherical design of the 1950's Hemi engines combustion chamber is the same as those found today. Today's Hemi is a modern design, but far from ground-breaking. Whereas the Northstar just keeps evolving-hence the new SRX, STS, XLR with the gen-2 Northstar. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the raw power of the Hemi. But it is not quite as smooth as a Northstar. As I've stated before, the Northstar's engine was a from scratch design in 1993 with introduction of the STS. The Hemi still uses yester-year architecture, which is not a bad thing either. Look at GM with the fifties-something small-block V8. Look at their venerable 3800 V6. I say if a good thing works, use it. But the Northstar is newer design.
    The northstars stroke is identical to the 4100's. I do not mean to say that the northstar is a DOHC version of the 4100, but I suspect that the 4.5 liter pushrod engine was a target size. Of course they also wanted it to fit into the FWD cars, so that limited it too. I suspect that they experimented with overhead cams on the 4.5 liter engines before designing the final northstar.

The new hemi is not based on the old one. Sure they are using a hemi head, but the design is all new. OHC designs existed long before GM worked on the northstar. One thing that the northstar had was coolant loss protection, which was a first I think. The Corvette's engine is new, it is not related to the 50's 265. The 3800 has been re-engineered a number of times, with the 91 & 95 redo's resulting in a very high tech cast iron V6.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    financial position to do this now, I am considering (ok, re-considering) replacing my 2004 Crown Vic with a 1-2 year old DTS...DTS has more HP, if it gets anywhere close to its rated 27 mpg highway, it will beat my CV by 5-7 mpg, even tho the CV was rated at 25 mpg hwy, DTS probably has the same interior room and trunk space of my CV...

And, I believe the DTS has 4 way lumbar supports for driver and passenger...

And, having no bearing whatsoever, the DTS can be equipped with midnight blue leather...

Any comments, pro or con, on a 2004/2005 used DTS...any major problems crop up that Caddy refused to repair or deal with???...is the leather good quality or is it cheap???...what should a used DTS sell for, assuming no more than 20-30K miles???

To those who own one, would you buy it again, assuming you could afford the new, redesigned 2006 DTS???

Or should I just wait a year until the 2006 DTS is now used, and save $$$... :shades:
    You can find fair market prices for the DTS right here at the Edmunds web site. I have used Edmunds in calculating buy and trade values for my last several cars and have found the dealers respectful of the buy and trade offers I have made. My preference would be the DTS over the CV. As you said more power. The one question you did not ask but may want to consider is front wheel vs rear wheel drive in the CV. This is NOT an issue for me but there are some that favor rear wheel drive (CV) over front wheel drive (2004-05 DTS). Probably best bet is to test drive and see if you feel any significant difference. Cadillac is now offering rear wheel drive in some of its' models (CTS @ CTS-V I think).
    Am finding your posts on Northstar vs Hemi helpful and informative. I currently own a 2004 Deville but have owned Chryslers in the past, most recently a 1997 LHS,
    with the V6, 214 HWP. I wouldn't mind owning a 300 C for a second car but at least for now Cadillac is number one with me. Am also considering a 1998 or 1999
    Concours for a second car. I liked the body style for cars of those model years.
    The Northstar is of the previous generation but having owned a 98 Deville in the past haven't found enough difference to let the first generation issue be a major factor.
    Can't understand why you think the Hemi is all new. Just off the phone with a close friend of mine who is also a DC engineer and he did indeed tell me that DC did use some of the design of the original Hemi, hence, NOT A NEW DESIGN. As for the Northstar being based on 4.1 and 4.5, impossible. This car has the DOHC setup, 32 valves that either of those previous designs would not even have the technology to spin off a sophisticated engine like the Northstar. Both the 4.1 and 4.5 have 16 valve cyl. heads. Sure it may have the same stroke, but numerous cars with like size engines share this same coincedence. "The Corvette engine is new"-- Think again buddy. It's the same architecture as the small block Chevy V8 of 1957. The Corvette ZO6 7.0L V8 is all new from top to bottom. The 3800 still uses the same crank from 30 years ago. Maybe that's why it lasted this long. All of these engines including the Hemi are great engines in our war against the foreign makes,

P.S. As for OHC designs existing before GM did the Northstar, It was Lee Ioccoca that started development of hi-po ohc motors during his days at GM.
    Still got my '97 DeVille D'Elegance and it runs great. Of course with this generation it is premium fuel only. That's the only major quarrel that I have.
    Thanks for the info. I thought it wouldn't be a big difference. No sense paying for premium when you don't need it. I had a 95 Buick Roadmaster before the Caddy. The owner's manual recommended 87. They were right. I tried other grades and it didn't change anything. The engine in the Roadmaster was a detuned version of the Vette LT1 - 260 HP. This was a great engine. Strong power from take off to whatever. Very smooth and quiet. The NorthStar is better on gas and 275HP.
    I have a new 05 Deville, base model . I have the midnight blue leather and like the looks of it. Not sure how good it is. It's plain looking in some ways. Time will tell. It's only 3 months old. Will make more comments about interior as it gets older. The dark interior does show more dust. That's a reminder to wipe it off once and awhile. The base model has 275HP. My overall gas mileage on a recent 1200 mile trip was 25.4. That included some city, rural, and 98% highway. This was actual mileage from gal. used at the pump. At times on the highway, the computer was between 27 & 28.This engine is rated at 18 city and 26 Highway. I think the DTS engine is rated at 17 and 25.
    The DTS is 17/24 city highway. I get about 23 in city/highwy mix.
    Sorry, but the old Corvette engine was cast iron. The new Corvette engine is all aluminum, the change was done in the not too distant past. I thought that I made it clear that the northstar was not precisely the old 4100. However, putting a different head is not a big problem, the Citations 2.8 liter V6 was upsized to 3.4 liters and a DOHC head was installed. The 3800 started out with a standard V8 crankshaft cut off at 6 cylinders. The even firing crankshaft was designed in the late 70's. You have very strange ideas about what makes an engine new or old. I very much doubt that Chrysler is using the old 50's hemi head tooling to build the new engine.
    Hemi head - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Hemi_engine
    Scroll down to modern hemi - you will see that this engine really is not a hemi at all, thus what I said above is true, an all new design.
    chevy small block gen II: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LT_engine
    genIII: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine
    Both the gen II and III are all new designs as I read it.

Cadillac's northstar was also re-engineered for the 2000 model year, making the pre-2000 engine different than the post-2000 engine. The RWD VVT northstar is also a new engine, a different design than the FWD version, with a different cooling system.
    You are the one with the distorted views about what makes an engine "old or new". Because the Chevy's engine is aluminum does not mean it doesn't share architecture with iron ones from the distant pass. The main reason GM did this in it's cars and light trucks and SUV's was to reduce weight and improve durability. Oh and hate to tell you that the 3.4L GM motor was not an adaptation of the 2.8L V6, but rather an offspring of the 3.1L. I know that there was a 3.4L DOHC that served in some Olds. Cutlass',Chevy Monte Carlo, Pontiac Grand Prix, just not the ones served in the Pontiac Grand Am, and all of GM's minivan's and minivan based SUV's (ie: Buick Rendevous and Pontiac Aztek). Neither were based on that antiquated 2.8L motor. True enough the 3800 motor is a 6-cyl. version of the 307 V8. So is the 4300 V6 which is a 350 with two cyl. taken off. And as I said in my previous post, Chrysler used some of the ideas of the original Hemi, not actual PARTS. And for the last time, the Northstar is a "from scratch design"--meaning ALL NEW. Do you actually think that back in '92 when GM was marketing the STS with the Northstar that they would lie about the Northstar engine being a "from scratch design"? I think NOT. Also as I've said that using old-school methods is not a bad thing at all. Maybe this time you won't chop my words up for your on personal benefit.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Buy a used one. From a Cadillac dealer. Get it 'certified', which will warranty it for 7 years to 100,000 miles (I think this is what it it now).

My 97 Deville will easily get 25mpg on the highway. I've seen as high as 28.5 and 27.5mpg - 70 or 75mph.

Aren't you an attorney? Since when does an attorney not be 'in a financial position' to buy a new car? Is the economy that bad?
  • batistabatista Member Posts: 159
    I have read from many sources that the 3.4L pushrod V6 was derived from the 3.1L pushrod V6 which was derived from the old citation 2.8L V6.
    The 3.4L DOHC was not a brand new design.
    If you read my post closely, I never said the 3.4L DOHC was a new design. And the 3.1 and 3.4 engines were not derived form the 2.8L. I should know because I worked at GM for 36 years in 7 engine manufacturing plants. So your sources are invalid! As for the 2.8L engine, it was a joint GM/AMC engine development in which some GM and some AMC (including JEEP) used this engine during the late '70's and on into the '80's until Chrysler bought out AMC in 1987, altho some GM cars used it afterwards for a few years. GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT.
    Local Cadillac dealers in your area may have more Certified used in stock right now because they have sold so many new cars with the GM EMP. Discount + CASH rebates. My local dealer has a lot more than he did back in June when I bought a new one. The DTS model seem to be more rare to find used. I think my dealer had 1 used.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    The DTS may be a fast mover when they do show up used. I'm seeing a lot of DTSs that appear to have been bought used. I'm going to check at the local Caddy special used car lot. They 8-10 recent Devilles always sitting. I'll see what ratio they ahve.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    Base cars-ex-rentals are at a large Caddy and GM dealer(s) around Syracuse
    NY are priced at $25,xxx. Forget the "certified"........Costs $$$$ more.

A quick web search finds Black Cadillac in Pa. that sells genuine GMPP
    warranties VERY reasonable. They can be bought up to the end of the
    mfr.s factory warranty. (If your gonna keep the car)
    I am sorry, but I find this webpage more credible than you.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_60-Degree_V6_engine
    If you bother to read thru it you will find that the 3.1 is a second generation of the 2.8, and while I would say that makes it a new engine, it is an evolutionary design, not revolutionary.

The V6 that was used in Jeeps was the Buick 3800, which was sold to Jeep in the 60's. This web page supports that notion of mine:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_3800_engine
    Your information is incorrect. AMC/Jeep used the 2.8L V6 in the 84-87 Cherokee until 1987 when the 4.0L I-6 motor was used, not the 3800. This site that you say supports your "notion" has quite a few errors on it's facts. But whatever I say will not sway you, which is a shame because you will go on thinking that you are right.
    I have a published book on Buick's history titled "the Postwar Tears" by Jan Norbye and Jim Dunne. This was published by Motorbooks international in 1978. In any case, it supports the notion that GM sold the V6 assembly line to Kaiser Jeep in 1967 (see page 95 of this book). At that time the 3800 was a 225 cubic inch engine (not the 231 cubic inch 3800). The Buick V6 was designed to use the tooling that the 215 cubic inch aluminum V8 was built with. However, they made the V6 cast iron with thin wall casting. The first V6's were a 198 cubic inch engine on the 1962 Special. This engine was upsized to 225 cubic inches in 1965 and sold after the 67's were done.

After the 1973 fuel crisis, GM bought back the tooling for the V6 from what was then American Motors, who had aquired Jeep. They put it into production for the 1975 model year, increasing the bore to match that of the 350 cubic inch Buick V8, making the V6 a 231 cubic inch V6. The pistons from the V8 would fit the V6 saving vast sums of money on production costs. For the 1978 model year, the crankshaft was redesigned to make the V6 an even firing engine, making it into a much smoother running engine. This is the end of my book of course, but does not contradict the website given above.

I think that this book was fairly well researched. I have published a number of papers in refereed journals so I am aware of what it takes to publish something. However, I will admit that I am not an expert on automotive design. All I really know is what I read. But I have two sources of information that say you are wrong. This is not to say that the Chevy engine was not used in the time period that you are talking about.
    Overhead, even double overhead camshafts were used in the early 1900's, so DOHC's are not new technology. Some racing engines used DOHC's with 4 valves per cylinder, so even multi-valve engines are not new technology. The concept that pushrods are old technology and overhead cams are new technology is nonsense. Any production engine that is continually updated is not old. I also feel that cast iron is not a bad material to build engines with. Aluminum is very touchy about coolant leaks, while a cast iron engine is less so.
    Never said that DOHC technology was new. Pushrod engines are older than DOHC engines, no matter what you say. Do You think Henry Ford was installing overhead cam motors in the Model T? Probably not. DOHC was around in the early 20th century, but not widely used in the american car market. "Aluminum engines are very touchy about coolant leaks". Wasn't it the Northstar (oh and unless you forgot, its all aluminum) that invented the 50 mile driving radius on absolutely 0 coolant. Yeah, I think so. A cast iron engine may be less prone to head warpping than aluminum engines, but it will. Overhead cam engines are smoother than pushrod motors, while aluminum engines are lighter thus saving more fuel in comparison to a "heavy metal" engine. Just let you know!!
    I know someone who did not pickup on the fact that he had a coolant leak in his northstar. By the time they figured it out, the engine was junk. Not because it overheated either. I think smoothness is designed in. Remember the quad 4?

Prior to World War Two, Stutz and Duesenberg offered some DOHC engines. My point was that overhead camshafts are not some new design. In the last 25 years the primary advance has been digital computers controlling the engine. Before about 1980, most electronic fuel injection systems were run by analog computers. The microprocessor became available in the 70's, making digital fuel injection systems possible. This has been the really big advance, making variable valve timing possible too. A full blown variable valve timing requires a double camshaft, which is why the DOHC is an excellent device for this purpose. However, GM has found the varing both intake and exhaust valves together, results in 80% of the full effect, so VVT on pushrod engines is possible.

Consider the 3.9 liter V6 in the Impala and the 3.6 DOHC V6 found in the LaCrosse. The 3.9 has 242 lb-ft of torque and 242 hp, while the 3.6 has 240 hp, but only 225 lb-ft of torque. The 3.9 VVT pushrod is doing very well I think.
    You do not have to have DOHC to get the "full effect" of VVT. Mercedes among others use SOHC in all of their V-6 and V-8 engines. Not only do these cars have VVT, they have VVT-i (intelligence). And they are only 3-valve per cylinder.

The 3.6L V6 that serves in the CTS and STS makes 255hp. In the SRX, 260hp. So in the Lacrosse, Buick detuned the engine. It has nothing to do with VVT.

P.S. I do remember the Quad 4. I would agree with a lot of gearheads that it was a horrid piece of machinery. And as for the person that didn't know that they had coolant loss, they either had driven over the maximum 50 miles or they just didn't pay attention to the various warnings that Northstar-equipped cars gives to the owner. It must of been some other on-going problem with the engine if over-heating didn't cause the engine problem as it would take heat to warp the heads or cause internal damage
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    This discussion is specifically about the DeVille. The News & Views board is more appropriate for this type of debate. There may be a suitable discussion there now, but if you don't see one, you can fire one up.

Let's get back to the DeVille here - thanks.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    batista, I need you to email me - pat AT edmunds.com. Please put Edmunds in the subject line and include "batista" in the message, thanks.
    The DeVille that suffered the engine loss was full of coolant and the water pump was working and the engine was not overheating. The problem was a slow leak in one of the head gaskets which of couse is not obvious by simply looking at the engine. The water pump had failed a year or so before, but as soon as the engine hot warning was posted, he shut off the engine and called for a tow into the dealership. The car was not run hot for any distance. But even so, one or both head gaskets were damaged. The slow coolant leak corroded the aluminum to the point that the engine could not be put back together.

By full effect of VVT, I mean that the intake and exhaust valves can be varied independently of each other, which requires that the intake valves are run by one cam and the exhaust valves by the other. The CTS's V6 has a variable intake manifold while the LaCrosses does not.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    I am an attorney, but that does not mean I enjoy taking a severe depreciation hit on my Crown Vic, having bought 2 new cars in 2004...go easy on my wallet, will ya???...I already have one wife draining it dry, I do not need another,,, ;) :shades:
    The longer you drive any car, the lower the average depreciation rate is. I would suggest driving new cars at least 6 years, and longer is better. However, everyone has their own needs to consider. Fuel costs are really not going to make any real difference, unless you are going to move from something that gets 5 MPG to say 30 MPG.
  • 04cad04cad Member Posts: 131
    Our 04 just went over 35,000 on vacation and the mileage jumped up over 29 mpg highway. Just getting broken in....
    My mpg is generally between 28 and 29 on the highway. In my opinion this is a very good fuel economy for a car of this size, power and weight. I have even gotten over 29 mpg if I don't have to do a lot of highway passing of vehicles not going the speed limit. I also own a 2004 Deville with 26,000 miles on it.
    During its 100 or so years of history, Cadillac has innovated many times in many ways. It would be very timely for the company to now introduce a Northstar engine
    with a hybrid component. I'm sure some will say it can't be done or it isn't practical
    but we might still be riding in horse drawn carriages with that attitude. Many of us get close to 30 MPG with the present Northstar, there's no reason not to believe that we could get over 40 MPG with a Northstar hybrid. I hope the American auto
    industry doesn't let the Japanese win again by failing to innovate with new and improved fuel efficiency. Cadillac has been an innovator in the past and hope they will again innovate in the large car fuel ecomony area.
  • 2ndcadillac2ndcadillac Member Posts: 4
    You should buy the warranty through GM. Do NOT buy it through a dealership. Used to be a cadillac salesperson, that's how the Finance Guy makes his money. Get a warranty that goes to 100,000 or 125,000 miles. Research the Cadillac/GM website. MAKE SURE you do NOT get an aftermarket or non-GM warranty they area joke. Be cautious but buy a warranty! Trust me, Cadillacs are great cars but the maintenance is very expensive and the Std. warranty problems start at 90,000 miles.
  • 2ndcadillac2ndcadillac Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1998 Sedan Deville that is tempermental, she'll crank but she won't start. Only seems to happen when the engine warms up. I used to have to wait maybe 10 minutes then she'd start now it's about 2 hours I have to wait. If I jiggle to wires on the Crank sensor sometime I can get it to work. Been to the mechanic over 5 times for this. He won't replace the Crank sensor .or engine module b/c he thinks it's something else and he doesn't want to charge me. Sometimes it's a slow or hesitant crank then it turns over. Had an expert tell me it was wires but he didn't look at the car. Starting to get cold here now and don't want to get stuck waiting on my "Moody Deville". Any thoughts? Can anyone help me? Please!
    The 96-99 DeVille was notorious for starting issues. Most that had the problems that you're describing were found to have faulty Fuel Pressure Regulators. My Deville Concours was victim of this. Has your vehicle recently started doing this? Does it fire right up when the engine is cold but hesitant when the engine has warmed up? If so, then chances are you've got a faulty FPR.
    Could not find anything in the owners manual about when to change. The dealership said they don't remember having changed but on one car. The price they quoted for the new filter was around $ 35.00. That seemed expensive. How are you other owners dealing with this issue? The car has a little over 26,000 miles on it. I opened the filter box and it looked fairly clean. Any input appreciated.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    I also vote for FPR Fuel Pressure Regluator. On the fuel rail, under the 'beauty cover'. Easy to change.

The 'start cold', 'no start hot' is a symptom of FPR leaking. About $65 part....

2001 Caddys were the one with crank sensor problems. Maybe also 2000's????
    I'm glad to hear someone knows where the FPR is located. I always thought that it was in the tank, near the fuel pump. Could you please be more elaborate on exactly where it is on the fuel rail assembly?
    I think that it is best to have a GM dealer check it out and replace it. When my 98 Aurora needed it done the cost was about $150 as I recall. I am not sure where under the hood it is located, but I did get the impression that mine was leaking and the leaking fuel was getting into the engine oil. Anyway they did not let me drive the car until they got the replacement and fixed it.
    Post your e-mail addy in your profile. I can send you a pic and how-to
    check the FPR yourself....................

Easy to do.........Locate FPR.......Turn key to run position (DO NOT start),
    Pull rubber nipple off FPR.............If wet....BAD FPR !!!!!!!!!

Then off to check for bad injector isd next step !
    Pretty sure GM did away with the cabin filter about 02. My 04 chevy truck
    does not have one...............My 01 did...........haven't looked for one in
    my 03 Caddy tho.

Pretty sure the filter box is still there and one can be installed
    Yes the 2004 Deville has one, the filter door is on the passenger side of the engine compartment
    near the windshield. I took the plastic cover off today but the filter would not come out easily. I did not use to much force so as not to damage. I used a shop vac. over the top to get what dust I could reach and than took a very slightly moistened sponge and lightly passed it over the filter. Think I got some of the dirt but would feel much better if I could get the filter out and give a through vacuuming.