Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    Glad to hear from you again sls002. Thanks for the reply.
  • captkevcaptkev Member Posts: 14
    Bremetong,
    I have a 2000 DTS that has this "Cabin Air Filter" as the manual calls it. My owners service requirerment book calls for it to be changed at 40,000mi, which I first did, BUT, the cost up here in the Toronto area is $107.00 Cnd. just to buy it. Sure feels like a lot of money for any filter, except that I know it is a charcoal activated type of filter and does a good job when my wifes hayfever season comes around. It seems to do a good job filtering out the pollen. The filter is located as mentioned, and is a long accordian type, with a soft rubber gasket. Just grab the exposed end, lift gently up. and pull out along the track. Think its somewhere around 12 to 14" long and about 6" wide.The whole thing can be taken out and vacumed with a good strong shop vac, which will make it last a little longer. Saw your posting, and as I am just in the process of buying my third one now ( 62,000mi) thought I would post a reply. Sure wish there was a company up in this area that I could get a replacement from, but guess I bite the bullet and buy an original equip part again. Good luck with your car, I really enjoy mine even with the few glitchs that have come up.
  • 2ndcadillac2ndcadillac Member Posts: 4
    THANK YOU EVERYONE!!! :)
    to BLK HEMI in reply to "HELP! Crank no start."
    please send me a picture of the location of the FPR to :
    adriennes_mail@yahoo.com

I love my local mechanic but he has NOT been able to figure out this problem should I risk the money and go to the dealership? fix it myself? or stay with my local guy?

P.S. If this doesn't work anybody want to buy a 98 White Deville? ;)
  • 2ndcadillac2ndcadillac Member Posts: 4
    Yes!
    a) Caddy recently started doing this
    b) fires right up when it's cold but not when hot

BUT
    Problem is it's now running low on gas...should I only try to fill it at night, when it's cold, so that I have a better chance starting it up?
    AND
    New Problem:
    The SERVICE ENGINE light just came on, wouldn't fire (after a 5 minute drive), had to let her sit for 4 hours, had a hard start then the Engine light came on. (Not flashing thank god.)

Thanks for all your help by the way, it's about time someone knew what was goin on.
    Much love to you!
  • bremertongbremertong Member Posts: 436
    CaptainKev,

Thanks very much for the information. I have been trying to get the filter out to vacuum as you suggested but the filter starts to come out and then sort of gets stuck. I have been reluctant to give it a good hard pull as I don't want to damage the filter or compartment. Should I use more tug and pull to remove or am I doing something wrong? Assume the compartments on both models are similar. I very much appreciated your response.
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    2nd Caddy.......Check your e-mail
  • captkevcaptkev Member Posts: 14
    bremertong,
    The filter is fairly long as I mentioned, and as you pull it out, I believe that about 6" in, there is a natural bend in the filter, which allows you to lift up as you pull it out. Dont think you can damage it, as its pretty well made, but the soft rubber edgeing makes it a stiff pull. Mind you, I dont believe that you need a pair of large visegrips to pull it out either, so if it dosent come with a good steady pull, I would see my service guy when you go in for a lube/oil job. Thats who always brings it to my attention because they check it out in service during the oil/lube job when you get around the reccomended mileage. Good luck.
    I took my chances and tugged on the filter until it came loose and out of the recepticle. Wow, what a job. It was as difficult to remove as it was to put back in again. While there was not much dust and dirt, I gave it a thorough vacuuming and then sprayed a very small amount of Lysol spray on the filter and put back in. All seems well. I appreciate the advice that the members here provided in getting this issue resolved. I think Cadillac is making a mistake in designing its' cars in this fashion. Even of more concern is the way the dealership responded with essentially not much interest or advice. I had much better service at the Chrysler dealership (Chrysler is now a German Company) when I owned my LHS. I hope that Cadillac starts showing more interest in its' customers or they may travel the same road as Packard and some other car companies that have bitten the dust.
    I realize that Packard and the other failed companies may have gone out of business for other reasons but poor customer service is a lethal flaw for any business.
  • tomc5tomc5 Member Posts: 3
    I bought this auto in april new. My Wife and I went on a 2500 mile trip.The heat/cool seats package came with this car, Maybe that is why the front seats were so uncomfortable (cooling elements in upholstery). The car averaged 26 MPG and handled very well,Quiet and Powerfull. The ON STAR hands-free phone system was extremely difficult to operate. ON STAR said it was voice recognition (automated operator).All in All I am happy with this automobile with these two exceptions.
  • tbear503tbear503 Member Posts: 70
    He was correct, it was between 65-67%
  • guy2yyguy2yy Member Posts: 1
    I have a problem for which I cannot find the answer. I am filig a casualty loss for year 2001 on a totaled vehicle. How do I find what the FMV of this car would have been on 10/10/2001?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    There are some discussions on our Smart Shopper board which may be helpful to you. Click on that link and scan down the list to find one that looks appropriate.
    The suggested tire pressure for the tires on this car are 30 PSI. I have been running the car at 35 PSI. The owners manual states it is okay to run at 35 PSI for high speed freeway driving. I noticed some steering wheel vibration at higher speeds today when passing other slower vehicles.
    The vibration was slight but noticeable, the pavement slightly rough. Am I using to much pressure in the tires?
    Could I damage any components of the car? Reason for using 35 PSI was to hopefully get better gas mileage and to minimize tire wear on the edges. The dealership noticed some wear on the edges and advised I run at 35 PSI. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. The tires are the Michelins that went on all 2004 base Devilles. Car and tires have 27,000 miles on them.
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    I have Michelins too, but the max pressure is 35, so I try to keep them between 30 and 35. The only thing that you can damage with too high a pressure is the tire, which could explode. However, you would need to put about 50 or more cold, to result in tire failure. Perhaps the tires are slightly out of balance?
    Would a slightly out of balance tire only cause vibration in the steering wheel at higher speeds (for passing) and not at normal freeway speeds of 65 MPH? I had the car out today and it was without noticeable vibration at speeds of 60 MPH or less. Your question is a good one and may have the balance checked in the near future. May also reduce pressures to around 33 PSI as you suggested just to see what happens. Many thanks for your thoughtful advice.
  • roady1roady1 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2005 base Deville with the same tires. As far as the tire wear goes, try rotating at 5000 miles. That's what Michelin dealers advise. Also, like the other guy said, it would be better to be between 30 and 35 PSI. The tire needs some flexibility. Also, when outside temperature goes up, tire then has too much air. Sometimes you need to re balance the tires when you rotate. This could be more important as the tires get older and have more miles on them. I'm a tire pressure nut! I think that you can tell a difference in ride and handling with just a couple lbs. difference in PSI. On my car, I feel that about 31 gives the best overall ride and handling. If you keep them between 30 and 35 cold, I don't think you will have much difference in gas mileage. The way and the speed at which you drive will effect the mileage more.
    I have been rotating at every other oil change which with my driving patterns is about every 5000 miles. The tires were rotated at my last oil change, mid October. I checked the weights on the tires yesterday and they are all there and secure. The vibration was first noticed after the last rotation. The suggestion of a re balance makes logical sense and may have that done in the near future. I only rarely go on trips that require speeds of over 70 MPH which is when I noticed the vibration in the steering wheel. Another potential reason could be over torquing of the lug nuts when the tires were rotated in October. I will probably let the pressures go down on there own as the tires seem to go down about 1 PSI per month. I am assuming that I am not doing any damage to the car or tires when there is no vibration in the steering wheel so
    if I re balance before my next freeway trip I should be okay. Many thanks for your input.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    out of balance...be sure to get them hi-speed balanced or road force balanced...

I notice it on my Crown Vic...steering wheel is smooth at 60 and 80, but between 60-80 the steering wheel shimmies back and forth...invariably, one of the front tires is off by a fraction of an ounce, which usually comes on thru wear, since the weights almost never move...

When a rear tire is out of balance, the entire car shimmies instead of the steering wheel...

Get them balanced, and keep it around 32-34 psi cold, above minimum, below maximum, but safe enough that you can lose a few psi and not be in the danger zone...
    I suspect your right about the tires being slightly out of balance since I don't remember this vibration before the latest tire rotation in October of this year. I don't drive on roads with a speed limit of over 55 MPH very often so I am in no rush about it, next freeway high speed trip will probably be in late December. I am going to try setting the tires at 32 PSI in the meantime to soften the ride. I have tire pressure monitors that have a chime warning that sounds if the tire drops to 25 PSI so 32 is a
    fairly good reserve above that. Many thanks for your practical and sound advice.
    Out of balance tires will have greater vibration at a certain speed and less at higher or lower speeds. This is because there is optimum vibration that depends on the amount of imbalance and the rotation speed. The tire pressure should not make much difference. I have rotated my tires at 7 to 8 thousand mile intervals. My oil monitor requests oil changes at about 10 thousand mile intervals. I am using Mobil 1.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    I believe it is called something like "resonance frequency", which, I believe, is usually applied in the situation where a part of your car, often something in the dashboard, vibrates with an annoying sound, often at a certain speed, and often within only 1-3 mph differential...

Kinda like 32-35 mph, where many of us drive in the city...the dash may hum, vibrate, squeak, or whatever, and will not go away, but increase to 36 mph and it disappears...

I believe the same thing occurs with tire vibration, maybe perfect at 0-60, shimmy off the road 60-75, then smooth out at 76...or something like that...

Invariably, it always happens at the speed at which you spend most of your time...the Law of Murphy...:):):):)
  • cdoescdoes Member Posts: 2
    Im looking at buying a cadillac in the next few months, Ive always wanted one and need some tips. Basically with my financing i need to find a caddy thats a 2000 or newer, under 70k miles and around 15k. Is that gonna be possible? Ive seen some 01-02 devilles with around 50k miles for 12-14k. Also are they pretty realiable{I drive around 3k miles a month}.Ive been doing research and everything keeps telling me that once the northstar hits around 100-120k miles im going to have big problems.I dont mind a problem here and there but i dont want to be spending $500 every week on something{I went through with my old 97 camaro when it hit 100k miles, finally had to junk it} I presume gas mileage will be the same as what i drive now(01 camaro). Just looking for some general buying tips from some caddy experts
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    In my area, there are 2005 model Deville with 18,000 or so miles for $23,000. Base model with no additional options.

These are obviously cars previous used for rental.

But even a base Deville has a lot of things 'standard'.

My advice - buy one of these from a Cadillac dealer. Get it Cadillac 'Certified'. Don't fall for any other extended warranty. The Certified warrany will give essentially a new-car warranty for something like 6 years and 100,000 mile (from it's initial sale date).

3,000 miles/month x 12 months = 36,000 year. Wooo!!!
    2.5 years takes it to 90,000 miles + 18,000 initially = 108,000 and out of warranty.

So, drive it for 2.5 years, trade it on another one and don't worry about anything breaking, it would be covered.

You will be surprised at the milage. A big Deville at 70mph with A/C will give you somewhere between 26 and 30mpg. And it will run on 87octane.

I'm not going to go into problem areas much. The car is full of electronic, any of which can cause problems. Northstars are known for head gasket problems, which is a major repair ($3,000+)
  • cdoescdoes Member Posts: 2
    so i get what your saying, the extra $100 a month payment for a almost brand new one with a full warranty is worth the risk of having to shell out a few grand in repairs, Ill look into the those. Thank you
    Prices on a non certified 05 base Deville are about
    the same in my area of Syracuse NY.

You should also check out http://www.gmoutlet.com
    They are a GM dealer who sells official GMPP warranties
    on line at very reasonable prices.
    Avoid ANY aftermarket company stuff.

Add up the price difference between a certified and
    a non certified late model Caddy.
    Remember you still may buy a GMPP extended warranty
    while your GM car is still under the mfrs.factory
    warranty............
    My 03 DeVille is purring like a kitten and coming
    up on 30k miles. Except for a emission warranty
    recall (computer reflash) and a quirky cruise control
    (Just can't get used to all those little buttons).

Great all around car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Holidays to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shades:
    Thanks for your many helpful comments during the year. Its not the little buttons, this vintage of Devilles has some quirks in the cruise system, for some cars at least. I still get strange responses but as you suggested, not that big an issue, and yes they are fine cars at very competitive prices. I recently researched a Chrysler 300C and was surprised that Chrysler doesn't have its own version of Onstar. Love the big Hemi engines but not the MPG stats so am with Cadillac for the forseeable future.
    Good to hear from ya ! I too like the new 300C style
    sorta "gangsta" looking esp. those Magnums !

But some of the assembly and quality woes of those
    cars i see on these and other forums keeps me right
    behind the wheel of another Cadillac when the time comes.......
    Yes I can understand your concern about build quality issues. Another factor to consider is fuel economy, Deville can get up to 30 MPG if driven with a light foot.
    I doubt the 300C would do much better than 25-27 at best.
    Am guessing that fuel prices are currently near the bottom of their range for the next year. The Deville as you know will run on regular, the 300C requires at least 89 octane I think. I owned a 97 LHS before my previous Deville and never had any problems over the three years of ownership,
    the Chrysler dealership also treated me far better than the Cadillac dealership has. My 2004 Deville now has a little over 28,000 miles so am in no hurry and the warranty runs until end of July 2007. I also purchased an extended warranty from Wynns up to 100,000 miles, 7 years and no deductible. In these circumstances am under no pressure to do anything. Might even consider the Chrysler for a second car.
    I had my tires re balanced and spun the second week of December. Took that once every 6 week trip on the interstate today. Result: the excess vibration is gone and the car performed very well. In addition, my average MPG for this trip was 29, versus 27.5 last time. I was a little lighter on the gas peddle on this trip but suspect part of it was the the tire re balance and spin. Am most appreciative for the advice offered here!
    The latest Car & Driver had an editorial that showed cruising 70 instead of 80, in the car tested, should produce about 5-6 more MPG. My experience with my Seville and Aurora is that by cruising 70 instead of 75-80 results in a few extra MPG, and I think that the trip is less tiring, so I can go 700 miles in a long day.
  • davemb12davemb12 Member Posts: 1
    hey everyone, i have a 1993 cadillac deville. i was wondering what kind of performance exhaust i should put on this car and headers,i cant seem to find anything for it. i would really apreciate the help. thanx
    Brem........Do you have Michelins (spl)?

I spotted a news report of a recall of some of their
    tire models.

I gotta go have a looksee at mine and try and find the
    recall blog on the net. Will post if I dig it up.

DAVE........Welcome to the forum !
    Performance headers/exaust for a pre-N*star? Never seen
    anything like that unless its a custom aka $$$ job.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    Which Michelins? I have two sets on cars!!!

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

My initial search sez Mich. pilot sport 255/35zr20-97y.
    Posted today 1/1/06
    Go to the http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov web site with your size info. to be sure ................
    Valuable post. Mine are the original tires that went with the car when new. I am now at 29,000 miles. Any estimate on how many more miles I can get before its time to replace? My guess is 40,000 miles, whats your guess? 2004 Deville base, Michelin.
    Those are Symmetry tires, aren't they. I have 30K on mine and I'm going to replace two by next fall for winter and keep two on the back more of the time to reduce wear so I can use them on the car next winter. I suspect 45 K is about max if I rotated all four tires equally. I expect the tread to be deep enough but I don't want the lack of siping for grip in snow and rain on fronts.

Ya know........i believe thats whats on my 03 !

Not sure tho...Forgot to post the BOSS/grandma/and the
    kids took the 03 to Fla. for Disney fun...........

I am cruising in the "official" blue hair special
    aka moms 98 De Ville or driving my truck...........

Too snowy and messy here to cruise the GTO or Z-28 :cry:
    My 2002 Seville LS has the Symmetry tires with 43000 on them. They are not yet close to needing replacement. I have rotated them at 7-8000 mile intervals. So far no other service like balancing or alignments.
    I went to the NTSA sight and had the impression that the tires in question were after market and not put on new cars. You might want to check with Cadillac in that if the tires were defective I think they would have an obligation to issue a notice to owners as they put them on
    the car when new.
    I have also rotated on a regular basis or about every other oil change. When I traded my 98 Deville for present
    2004, the 98 was at 39,000 miles and the tires still had enough tread on them that there was no deduction on the trade in value. With good driving habits and a little luck I might get as much as 50,000 miles out of present car tires.
    Said owners of the effected tires will be notified.
    The date was 1/1/06 so it may be a few weeks.

The blurb mentioned some brands of vehicles that may have
    them. Don't think Caddy was mentioned.............
    I think the Pilot tires are SUV type tires.

I enjoy my 2004 Deville very much but would rather not take it out in windy rainy weather. I picked up a small but nasty rock chip recently in these circumstances. The local Ford dealer around here has two 2005 Mercury Grand Marques with under 20,000 miles on them. They are asking around $18,000 for them. Having been accustomed to Deville
    for several years I wondered if I would be satisfied with the 2005 Grand Marque as a second car. Specifically what I would like to know is for those of you that have driven both cars in recent models how general quality, comfort and performance compare. The price on the Grand Marque seems incredibly low and I wondered what the reason is.
    The models I am referring to are the LS. Based on the feedback I receive from other Cadillac owners with experience driving the Grand Marque I will decide whether to schedule a test drive. I strongly prefer that responses are from individuals that have driven the car several times or for long periods.
    The new price on the Grand Marques is not very high, the top of the line is around $30,000. Used prices depend on supply and demand.
    Thanks very much for your reply. Have you had any experience driving this car(either Grand Marque or Crown Victoria)? I would be interested in opinions of performance, comfort and quality issues as much as anything else, comparing them to the current vintage of Devilles.
    My mother has a 1984 model that she still drives. While the current model is probably significantly upgraded, the basic body on frame design has not changed. Mom's car is quite comfortable with a soft ride. It has a 5 liter engine I think. There have not been many problems, but the A/C needed some work recently.
    Thanks again. Sounds like a very durable car if its over twenty years old and still running. With fuel costs likely to remain high I might opt for something more fuel efficient for short trips to do local errands. I am quite satisfied with my 2004 Deville fuel economy of around 30mpg in highway driving.
    Well you have to decide what is best for you. The Mercury is rated 17 city, 25 highway, nearly the same as the Deville. However, buying a second car so that you can leave something else parked does not make much sense to me. There are risks involved in driving any vehicle. Unless you think that your deVille will become a valuable collectors item in the future, why not drive it? If you want a fuel efficient car to drive locally, then an older economy car might make some sense. Perhaps a VW diesel for example or a hybrid.