Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    I am now retired. I did work for over 30 years as a research scientist at an engineering college.
  • bremertongbremertong Member Posts: 436
    Having used both systems (Mercury and Deville) I don't think it's us, The Sable has the buttons on the steering wheel and and they respond almost instantly when pressed.
    The Deville is a little less responsive but works and having had it checked several times am satisfied to use as is. Both cars are fun to drive, no question that the Deville is my number one but the Sable considering price, options and performance is a strong second car. Having more than one vehicle yourself you can understand the fun of driving something different just for the fun of it!
  • a2715mta2715mt Member Posts: 2
    geo9,
    My engine still will start. I just needed to change back to parking shift before I restarted it.
    "A27..........Have you checked for any codes???? "
    ---How do I check codes?
    -- if no codes then how do I change position sensor(s)?
    Please advise.

:-))))
    I am not sure what your current complaint is about the cruise control. Back in August of 2004 your complaint was that the cruise control would not "set" at the speed that you engaged the cruise control, but would "settle in" at a lower speed, usually 3 to 5 MPH lower than the engagement speed. Now that is definitly not the way the cruise control should work.

Now you seem to be complaining about "efficiency", whatever that means regarding cruise control, and responsiveness. When the "cruise" light appears on the dashboard has nothing to do with when the cruise is set. My cruise control is engaged or set when the set button is pushed, but the computer may get around to setting the light after a few moments.

The question(s) I have is: is your cruise still "setting" at a lower speed than you engage it at? (OR) #2: is the lower speed something that you notice after some period of time has elapsed after engaging the cruise control?
  • vic8vic8 Member Posts: 13
    Can anyone tell me ,how to change and get to the four spark plug wires on the back side of the engine.The front four look to be simple.1997 Caddy Deville
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Never done it. But some people says it helps if you remove the coil packs that are back there.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    Any cruise control is better than no cruise control at all. My Cadillac seems to lock on one or two miles off occasionally. Sometimes it is dead on. When it isn't I just boost it up to the desired speed with the resume button. It is hardly worth messing with taking the car to dealer after dealer and fiddling with the cruise control unless it doesn't work at all or is wildly off. The coffee isn't good enough at the local Cadillac dealer to make me want to hang out there.
    I agree with you on this issue. The only reason I had it checked the fourth time was the car was in to check for an oil leak and being at a second dealership I decided to let them look at the issue once more. As you mention, if the system were to fail completely than of course I would take it in again. The rocker buttons may be the design flaw in this model. The buttons in my second car (2005 Mercury Sable LS) are flat and seem to respond much better. I am at his point satisfied to put the matter to rest.
    I will repeat that my cruise control buttons, located on the steering wheel, work fine. If the driver is unable to push the set button at the speed that he wants to cruise at, that is not the cruise controls fault.

I will have to say that the ergonomics of where the buttons are located make it very easy to accidently push the buttons by mistake, but this is a design problem and replacing buttons won't fix the driver who is unable to use them.
    THERE YOU GO GETTING PERSONAL AGAIN! Rahter than discussing the product and performance.
    that the steering wheel buttons are located such that they are easy to push unintentionally. This does not mean that the system does not work well. However, it may not be easy for some to use properly. Post # 2114 is probably right.
    You are right - it is easy to push the wrong buttons -I kind of liked the cruise control on the stalk. It didn't interfere with the stereo buttons.
    I've asked this question before. Does anyone know of any major changes to the DTS in the near future (2008-9 for instance)?
    The 2006 still kept the old 2000 body. Nothing wrong with it but I wondered if Cadillac had any plans to do a completely new DTS.
    This is what I know: the new DTS is sharing with the new Lucerne. Both have the same basic body. The wheelbase on the new DTS is slightly longer than last years DeVille, so the body has been updated or re-engineered. However, the body is basically the 1995 Aurora body design.

They are working on a zeta platform, which will be the platform for the Camaro and GTO. There will also be some RWD sedans based on that platform. Rumor has it that there will be a Chevy, probably replacing the current Impala. Buick will probably get a RWD sedan, which will replace the Lucerne I think, or the LaCrosse. However, the LaCrosse is probably going to be replaced with an epsilon-2 (next generation epsilon) platform, so the RWD Buick will probably replace the Lucerne.

So, if the Lucerne drops the FWD DTS platform, then what will Cadillac do? My guess is that they could build a longer wheelbase sigma platform DTS. That car would be a longer, bigger STS, with a bigger price tag. I think putting the DTS on a platform shared with Chevy is not a good plan. The current FWD DTS/Lucerne will probably see production at least through the 2008 model year.
  • sdavis447sdavis447 Member Posts: 1
    I need space and want some comfort along with it. I'm seriously considering an '03-'05 DeVille for my <$30k investment. Could I get some opinions on the pros/cons of these vehicles.

One specific detail...I have a tough time getting comfortable in many vehicles. I'm 6'5" tall. I usually prefer good quality split-bench type seats even to high end bucket seats. (I like to have space to stretch my long legs off to the side on occasion.)

I'd also consider opinions regarding other options within this price range.

Thanks.
    I own a 2004 Deville and am quite satisfied with it. Recently bought a second car and among the ones I considered that you might consider (taking your height in to account and need for a big comfortable car) along with Deville are
    Lincoln Town Car, probably could find a 2005 for under $30k. Also consider the Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marque which you could get for for under $30k and perhaps new. The Crown Victoria and Grand Marque are the best large sedan values on the market IMO. Best wishes and let us know what you decide.
  • 04cad04cad Member Posts: 131
    Hi if you want to get a buy,,, look at your local Cadillac dealers for 2005 program cars with less than 20,000 miles with a four year 50,000 mile factory warranty asking around $25,000 dollars. I have one and am looking to trade for another soon. With the balance of the warranty you can be sure you are taken care of in the unlikely event a major problem occurs. Also the 2006 program cars are starting to show up on lots too. Bob
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    AMEN to that Bob ! Around my area of Syracuse NY
    05 DeVilles (ex-rentals) with around 25 k miles are
    being advertised at $23,999 at several dealers!!!!!!!!!!!
    A sweet Caddy for the price of a used v-6 cam/cord
    appliance mobile............

I note that CTS used prices are running strong at
    $23k and up for 04 models................

Heck, another local mega dealer has 05 Impalas (ex-rentals)
    at $10,995
  • firecontrolfirecontrol Member Posts: 4
    I am using a crashed 1992 Sedan DeVille as a motor donor. The alternator has a 3 wire plug going to a coil/relay unit in the passenger side front fender (in front of the wheel). Does anyone know what this is for? I've purchased a Haynes manual & they don't speak of it. :confuse:
    Wild, wild guess - a heated windshield?
    Heated windshields were an option in 1992.
  • firecontrolfirecontrol Member Posts: 4
    Really!?!? I see the ECM output for heated windshield.....
    I need an input for my "charging" sensor. Didn't know if it should go to one of the three "post" wires that ran down to the assembly by the front wheel or where it should go. Just on the B+ terminal maybe??? hmmmm, don't know.
    thanks for the help though.
  • fatpunkfatpunk Member Posts: 4
    ok i have a 79 deville project car......in pretty good condition the paint is rough but thats about it...i am looking to do a few things to the 425 to liven it up a little and i plan to have a dark gray paint scheme with blacked out windows and american racing torque thrust 2 gray wheels dual exhaust and a few other things...only question i suppose is there any easy way to lower the 79's an inch or 2? i have looked around and i cant find lowering springs or anything...any help would be much appreciated :)
    FP..............that 425 is NOT a hotrod motor !!!!!!!!
    Pounding on it will only result in major engine damage.
    Its made for crusing and NOT racing !!!!!!!!!!

The rocker arms are riding double on a cheap u shaped
    stamped "steel" band that holds them together. The
    cheap steel snaps and you end up with a few bent push
    rods and possible bent valves.
    Unlike other GM v-8s where each seperate rocker arm is
    held by itself to a stud and nut in the head which can
    take high RPM abuse !

Now if that Cad had a Buick 307 or a Chevy/Olds 350-402
    you could mod away..............

When I had my Fleetwood 75 with the 425 my young cousins
    took it out and pounded on it and snapped that rocker arm
    tray with major valvetrain damage I warned them about
    it too.........knuckleheads !!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

I have NO problems pounding on my 03 Deville with the N-star. But a older caddy with a 425/368 your asking for
    trouble.

Good luck and keep us posted !..................
    no my friend you misunderstand me i have no desire to pound on it at all...i will use it for cruising but in the process of doing the other things to it i want to add a little power and make it sound better and such. i appreciate the info and concern but i have no intention of racing it or beating on it....just getting a little more power out of it just to have it more or less....cheers
    Performance mod. stuff is simply NOT manufactured for
    a 425 anymore pure and simple. Possibly a big aftermarket
    carb, a breakerless ignition conversion kit and maybe
    a fancy open element air cleaner are about the only
    "performance" mods you could do to the motor itself.

Check out Jegs, eldebrock, holley, hurst, crane cams etc. on line and you will see what I mean.

Now if you owned a machine shop and reworked the
    valve train arrangment plus other internal mods.....
    But then your spending MAJOR bucks.
    A small or big block high performance GM crate motor
    is a great option for performace applications.
    Spending 4 to 5 thousand is not out of the question.
    see although i do appreciate the input...i am aware of what is out there for the engine...i planned on a open air filter/ catless exhaust/bigger carb/ few simple things....the only thing i was really asking initially was whats the best way to lower the 79. i have done alot of research on everything else about the car (had it for about a year now) just never really got a good answer on the lowering question....i always get some jackass kid saying "just cut the springs" i was wondering if there were any other known ways to lower the 79 an inch or 2....not looking for a low rider just a more agressive lower look....but like i said i appreciate all the info you provided geo...thanks for being helpful. *cheers* :)
    As far as lowering your Deville cutting the front
    coil springs or installing a spring compressor (poor
    choice) is the only way to drop the front.

As far as the rear depending on if you have coil or
    leaf springs. If coil again cutting the spring or
    using a spring compressor are your only options.
    if you have leafs you could remove a leaf or 2 (thru
    the trial or error method. There are even ways to
    "reverse" the spring order to lower the rear.

Have you done any Google searches on lowering a car?
    Theres prob. a lot of sites out there..........

Even check out http://www.cadillacforums.com
    they have a complete Caddy mod thread over there and
    some folks that could point you in the right direction.

Good Luck and keep us posted !.................geo :)
    I know nothing about lowering a car.

But couldn't you get an inch or so with low profile tires?

What rim and tires that would fit and give a lower profile - I can't help you.
    Thats why I sent FP over to that other forum or suggested
    he do a search on lowering a vehicle.

Most of us here are "old timers" interested a in nice smooth cruiser with 300 horses at the push of a pedal.
    Not to mention how many sets of clubs will fit in the
    trunk and other ol' duffers will fit inside on the way
    to the clubhouse to shoot a few links............LOL!

But thats cool !!!!!!!!

I have seen a few lowrider Caddies on some of those
    car shows and some look REAL good !
    But i can imagine some BIG $$$$ is spent making them
    look that way................... :shades:
    Yep, I like most things stock, stock, stock.

I only mentioned the tires because on a car I owned, it came with 70 Series tires, and when they wore out, I couldn't find that size easily. So I put 75 Series, plus I think I moved up a size.

It was an 84 Toronado. With this tire change, it significantly changed the 'stance' of the car. It almost looked like it was on tippie-toes. I never thought what I thought was a small tire change would change the appearance that much.
    CHUCKLE......Even tho I am a "blue hair" rolling in
    a Caddy I still have my 72 GTO I got in 1974 and used
    to race it C/Sa. Yup now that I'm older I like the
    stock running vehicle. It took me FOREVER to find
    the stock intake, q-jet, exaust manifolds to return
    my Goat to its stock glory !
    I recently purchased 84 Z-28 to play with.........
    I love to take them out and POUND them at will !!!!!
    That Northstar powered monster still "walks" them both
    with the a/c and the Bose cranking !!!!!!!!!!

My 17 yo. wants a set of "jordans" and spinnaz for his
    Cavilier. I told him his $pendy insurance is coming
    due and college is not far off. He had better pick up
    a extra shift at McDs............LOL!!!!!!!!!! :P
    Looked hard at buying a new GTO about that time.

I bought a 72 Corvette instead.

By 1972 they were smogged down and slow, but still a Corvette. It was nice. Kept for about 7 years and sold it for more than I bought it new.
    GM's engines were tuned to use unleaded gasoline in 1971 and did not have exhaust gas recirculation until 1973. However, the engines were not rated by gross horsepower as they were in the 60's, but were rated net horsepower as they are now. The Corvette offered 350 and 454 cubic inch V8s. Neither engine would have had the performance that the 427 racing engine had in the 60's. Still, the 454 should have been quite good.
    Yes, they were 'tuned' to run on 'low-lead' gasoline, which meant the compression ratios were dropped. And the lower compression de-tuned the engine significantly compared to the 1970, higher compression motors.

I had a 350 automatic. It was slow.
    For what it is worth, I use Mobil 1 since my oil monitor is giving me around 9-10,000 miles between changes. It does cost more, but with the longer interval it is still affordable.
  • dhs1dhs1 Member Posts: 6
    Anyone had any experience upgrading their interior trim using flat panel or molded kits that are advertised as OEM factory finish kits that stick on some of the interior plastic trim and make them look like real zebrano wood? There appear to be numerous manufacturers eg. BandI trim, Sherwood, Woodview etc. but I don't know who makes the best.
  • antg4lifeantg4life Member Posts: 1
    hello I have a 2000 deville with a cracked night vision lens just curious of how much it will cost to fix and where can I have it fixed at or order the part thanks for your help.
    ANT....Check out this site:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-dts-forum-2006-beyond/49015-night-- - - - vision-camera.html?highlight=night+vision+parts

Found a repair kit on flea-bay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-Deville-Nite-Vision-Lens-Kit-2001-2002-2- - - 003_W0QQitemZ140003666186QQihZ004QQcategoryZ6779QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZVie- - - wItem

NOTE this to know if you have the 1st or 2nd design of
    the camera.
    Info - Repair Kit Available for Night Vision Camera Lens/Window #01-08-49-008 - (May 24, 2001)
    Repair Kit Available for Night Vision Camera Lens/Window
    2001 Cadillac DeVille DHS, DTS with RPO UV2

Built After VIN Breakpoint 1U172694

Important
    This repair kit is to be used ONLY on the 2nd design Night Vision Camera Assembly, OEM P/N 25716414, REMAN P/N 88890711. The 1st design night vision camera is not serviceable and must be sent to Model Electronics for repair. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 00-08-49-001B for Service Center information.
  • reallandyachtreallandyacht Member Posts: 28
    Just had to pop in and see what was being spoken of in here.

If ya' wanna see more of her go to www.webwholesaler.com/1970/
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Pretty! Why don't you build a Carspace page and include your photos there!
    If you Google coup deville - my car is the second link on the first page. It's also in a couple of the Cadillac group sites!

I haven't checked out Carspace yet - I might do that after I post this ........ :)
  • 04cad04cad Member Posts: 131
    Does anyone know the procedure to remove the rear seat bottom on a 2005 Deville? I think something slipped under the back edge of the seat and I need to remove it to see if that is where it went. Thanks in advance.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    My rear seat just lifts straight up. It has the battery under it so it's a little easier to access than usual.

My other H body rear seat pushed to the rear an inch and then lifts up. I put my knee against the seat bottom, shove, and lift.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I have a 1970 DeVille w/ 472 CID that needs manifolds.

I found what might be the right ones - this is what the advert. says:

1968 to 1978 Cadillac Eldorado Left (drivers') Exhaust Manifold. It fits 425 , 472 ,and 500 ci engines (ex. 70-76 500's).The condition is good with all "ears" in good shape and exit flange in good shape too. The surface has light rust but it will clean up nicely. Casting no. 1485749

Is that what I need? What would be a high end FAIR price for this?
    The Eldorado was FWD in those days, so I don't know if it would work. The FWD was not a transverse engine mounting though, so maybe, but I would not count on anything.
  • trainiac1trainiac1 Member Posts: 13
    A 1988 Sedan De Ville when either idling for a while or engine off for a while when started gives off a good puff of blue smoke out the exhaust. Cannot see any smoke when driving normally. Would this be the valve seals or a greater problem? Anyone know and the approximate cost of repair? Thanks.
  • trainiac1trainiac1 Member Posts: 13
    The 98 has 100,000 miles on it.
  • kpevavkpevav Member Posts: 41
    Does the front passenger seat on the standard 2005 Deville have a sensor that turns off the airbag if someone under 80 pounds is seated there? I thought just about every car -- except my wife's 2005 Subaru Forester -- had that feature, but I sat in a Deville and did not see any visible evidence of the sensor.