Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• etharmonetharmon Posts: 399
    What color is your 98 Concours? Just curious, I don't see too many of those(Concours model) on the roads here in Knoxville. Most that I see are base Devilles.
  • cgreenemcgreenem Posts: 2
    Thanks harleybill for the alert to the struts on this vehicle. I'll have them checked out. One of the things that kind of concerns me is that the engine in this model is the last one that didn't have the Northstar. This one has the 4.9L V8 in it. I'm wondering if I'll get much life out of it yet, since it's almost at 100,000 miles.
  • My 95 concours is a white diamond. My 98 concours is a silver. I am going to put l50k on the 95, retire it and give it to my wife as a "town car." She can drive it around town until someone wrecks it.

I live in the fountain city area here in Knoxville. One day we ought to hook up for lunch.

harleybill
  • philly7philly7 Posts: 94
    Now, Now Carnaught...To each his own. I happened to have a very pretty Spring Edition '96 Deville which was black with a black factory Roadster Roof. It was beautiful and I am neither a mortition nor a purveyor of prostitutes.

As for cgreenem, I would take HarleyBill's advice and look at the struts. But there is such a world of difference between the '95 and '96. Drive them in succession and you will see what I mean. It can't be much more to get a '96 with fewer miles.

Good Luck
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,610
    ...Phaeton roof...whatever...I agree, "too each is own"....
    I'm in the west part of town near Farragut. If you ever see an under 30 guy in a red Intrigue eyeballing your Concours, it's probably me:)
  • I always love specialty custom packages on Devilles. However what do you guys think about them on the current Deville particularly on the DTS and DHS?

They look pretty sharp and unique.
    Sweeteldorado...are you refering to Phaeton roofs, voque tires, and custom chrome wheels? If so, don't forget the big hat with a feather and the leather pants.....
  • My father owns a '91 DeVille and has experienced gasoline odor in the car on many occasions. He has had this checked out and supposedly fixed several times, but it seems to return and have a will of it's own. With the hood closed and the engine running, the odor can be smelled coming through the opening at the windshield/wiper area. We believe the air conditioning fan sucks the fumes into the air conditioning system and then into the car. Has anyone out their experienced this, or have an answer on how to fix this problem?
  • mdm4mdm4 Posts: 33
    THIS IS IN RESPONSE TO MESSAGE #387 ABOUT THE FREE EXTENDED WARRANTY FOR UP TO 100,000 MILES ON THE 2000 DEVILLE. I CALLED GM AND THEY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT IT NOR HAVE THEY EVER HEARD OF JANET HAWTHORNE. ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. YOU MAY EMAIL ME AT: MDM1@WESTCHESTERGOV.COM
  • jadedogjadedog Posts: 1
    I just purchased my 2nd Caddy, a 95 Concours w/ 48012 mi on it. My 1st was a 85 that went thru 2 motors and 2 trannies. I love Caddy's, my family has always had one. I'm only 30 and looking for some advice on what I should look for in the car as to have it brought to my local Caddy dealer. The car was a one owner and he was 68yrs old. Also, the color of the car is called montana blue, what is your opinion of this color, alot of people are saying it looks like it is dark purple, personnaly, I do not think so. It also has the gold package which I think enhances it alot. As far as options go, the car has every one available. Thanks in advance for your response to this inquire. Look forward to speaking to anyone that has the same interests.
  • kemp8kemp8 Posts: 1
    I have had a 97 Concours for a year or so and once in a while the traction cont. light will come on and the trans will only down shift to 2nd gear. Shut off engin and restart and it usually goes away. Why???
    Also the rear end jumps or kicks out when I hit a bump on the highway. Bad shocks???
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks....
  • philly7philly7 Posts: 94
    The full name is Medium Montana Blue and it is a pretty rare color on Concours'. It was available only in 94-96.

As for the mid-eighties, that was Cadillac's Darkest Hour, so to speak. I had an '85 Biarritz which went through 3 HT4100 motors before it finally got an Olds 307. Cadillac has come a long way since then.

As for your age, you are never to young to own a Cadillac as I see it. I am 35 and on my 5th new Cadillac, an '01 DTS fully equipped!

So sport that Concours with pride. Enjoy.
    Actually, I think there was Medium Montana Blue and then Montana(or dark) blue offered from 1994-1996. The Medium was lighter and the dark is the one that is kind of purple looking. Actually, I think Dark Adriatic blue replaced the Dark Montana Blue in 95 or 96. I'll have to dig out my brochures to confirm.
  • mdm4mdm4 Posts: 33
    I purchased a new 2000 DeVille in Nov/2000, got a great deal (dealer incentive of $3,000 on top of getting the car for invoice). It is red with the saddle interior. I just recently started to drive it (have approx. 1,000 miles), was trying to sell my '95 Buck Roadmaster. I have been reading all the comments about the poor idle situation and have noticed that sometimes at a stop light the revs drop from 675 to 650 and there is a slight loop but then it corrects itself. Has GM started to offer the software correction for this problem yet or since my car was built May/2000 was the idle problem corrected at the factory? For that matter, have all the initial problems with the early 2000 Devilles been corrected before my car was built? Also I noticed that the sun visors are very sub-standard. I read in a previous message that a dealer offered to replace the visors, is this correct and do you get the same type of visors and has GM improved them? My last issue is the seat position, my driver's seat does not go as far back as I would like it, is there a stop on the seat track and can the dealer adjust it to go back farther? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
  • Comment ref: Msg #401

I have a 1991 Eldorado which has the same problem; a bad odor of gasoline at various (non-identifiable) times. If anyone has found the fix I would also like to hear about it.
    The car is going in on Monday for:
    - right rear view mirror which overcorrects and makes loud clicking when throwing the car into reverse
    - temp. button on left steering wheel lights much lighter than other steering wheel buttons
    - "service airbag" light is on

My car has 7900 mi. on it....anybody have similar problem? By-the-way, the sun visors do suck!
  • BushwackBushwack Posts: 258
    It has been a while since I've visited this forum and I'm perplexed as to why *I* don't have the problems many of you have discussed. I bought a DTS within a month after they were introduced and with the exception of being locked out of the car (an electrical issue) and experiencing a premature flat tire, we (the li'l woman and me) have had had no problems with over 10,000 miles on the odometer. The car idles quietly with no 'spikes', the radio...steering...ride...all is as expected and the car has been an exceptional value (paid $51,000).

Now on the flip side, the car is no longer practical for our needs. I just bought a new Regal GS that fits me like a glove and the wife no longer needs a car this big. So, anyone have a clue as to the realistic resale value of a 2000 White DTS loaded to the hilt?
  • >I'm perplexed as to why *I* don't have the >problems many of you have discussed...

Remember that on forums like this you hear a lot from people who are experiencing problems with their cars and looking for help or solutions. People don't feel the need to post "my car is going great and I love it messages", although that is the vast majority.

bruce
    Contemporary Cadillac Info & Discussion www.caddyinfo.com
    Cadillac Moderator, www.gmforums.com
  • robh3robh3 Posts: 157
    A Regal GS...I thought you were going to get yourself a new Lexus LS430.

If I weren't in the middle of my lease on my '99 STS I would definitely be interested in your DTS with only 10,000 miles on it. If I am not mistaken, you put some nice aftermarket wheels in it too, right?
  • andrew47andrew47 Posts: 14
    Well, thank you for welcoming me to this discussion. I am seriously considering the purchase of a 98 or 99 Deville, but I've heard so much about reliablility differences between the two, I need some advice. Quite simply, which is better? Also, please let me know what kind of problems I can expect with either. I've heard about rough idle and electrical problems. Give it to me straight, 'cause that 300 horse power engine is calling me. Thanks.
  • I have a 95 and 98 Concours. The 95 has l42K and the 98 40K. I understand the 99's have electrical problems. I have enjoyed my 98 without any upsetting problems. However, I bought the 5 yr/l00,000 mile warranty extension. Parts for these things are enormous. I believe the labor rate on a earth mover is less than a Cadillac dealer charges to work on their cars.

HARLEYBILL
    Knoxville, Tennessee
  • andrew47andrew47 Posts: 14
    Thanks for the info, harleybill. Any further specifics about your '98 Caddy would be very much appreciated, like engine idle or whatever. Positive comments, of course, are also welcome, but when I look at just about every car on the road and compare it to a Deville, nothing matches up when it comes to style and the stunning look of sheer power, so I don't need much convincing on the positives.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Posts: 1,057
    Hello all
    Are you running premium gas ?
    My boss lol was complaning about hers stalling
    and rough idle with A/C on.
    When i GET to drive it i always HAVE to put
    gas in it and always put Sunoco 94 in. It runs
    like a scalded dog..A week later shes complaning
    its stalling again...So i ask what kind of gas
    are u using ? She sez brand X regular..Sure
    enough. She sez $2.10 a gallon is TOO MUCH !
    Its a 1996 56 k problem free..This is in
    Northern NY Resort area..... Geo
    Are the cams in the Northstar run by chains
    or belts ?? If belts when should they be
    changed...can't see anything about them
    in caddy maint. or owner manual.. Geo
    If it is a 96 Northstar then you MUST use premium, not regular unleaded. This would explain the rough idle if she is using regular. My father has a 95 Aurora which has the 4.0 liter version of the Northstar and it too requires premium and once my mom put regular in it not knowing and while it didn't stall, the engine did run rather harshly. BTW, Northstar engines use chains not belts to drive the camshafts. To my knowledge, no current domestic GM engine uses belts.
    Thanks i thought so..But just to be sure.
    Do those lexus v-8 use belts don't they ?
    I know to use premium but ...you know how
    it goes with the boss LOL......Geo
    I think the Lexus V8 uses belts to drive the camshafts. I did read that the new 2002 Infiniti Q45's V8 uses chains, I'm not sure about the current model.
  • mg4113mg4113 Posts: 1
    I purchase a 92 cadillac 2 yr ago from a dealership. It drives fine until it gets down to about 6 gallon in the tank. It stalls whenever I make a right turn or right looping turn when entering or exiting off the express way. I almost got killed in the thing. I try to keep 10 gallons in it at all times. Now that is a pain. I love my caddy but it got to go. I have also talked with other owners of caddy 91-93 who have experience the same problems. Shame on GM.
  • I now have l42K on my 95 and 40K on my 98 and both idle smoothly. I have used premium in them both. I figure it like this. The cost of premium over regular is usually 20 cents per gallon. That is $4.00 per tank. I will spend $4.00 to blow the doors off of some trucker trying to pull out in front of me when I am hauling my self down the road. I believe these truckers see a cad hauling in the passing lane and just serve out to block for a while. I like to kick the 300 horses and blow by the rumbling bohemeths leaving them in "da dust."

harleybill
    knoxville, tennessee