Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac DeVille

Comments

• Wanted to, but it's not available in Canada just yet. (go figure)
  • sonjaabsonjaab Posts: 1,057
    Any of you have a 02 Caddy ? I notice
    that the horn sounds different than my
    old 96 or my moms 98. Did they change
    them ? Caddy horns had a sound of their own...............geo
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,189
    ...I did notice the different-sounding horn vis-a-vis my 1994 DeVille. My 1989 Brougham has the awesome 4-note Cadillac trumpet horn. It sounds like a locomotive.
  • Just a note of appreciation for the folks on this thread. Your combined experiences contributed to my decision to purchase a new 2002 DeVille DTS--I thoroughly enjoy this vehicle! I had many different cars to choose from (Lexus, BMW, Lincoln...), but I found that the exceptionally quiet, controlled ride and responsive drive train of the Cadillac best suited me (Also like the body styling). The dealer expressed muted surprise that a 39 year old male would choose this car :-) I suppose I do not fit advertised marketing plans or demographic projections! Regardless, I share your pleasure in owning one of these fine automobiles.
  • richm4richm4 Posts: 169
    I just started reading this board for the first time recently and, quite frankly, am shocked there are so many relatively young Caddy owners.

I'm 38 and was sort of embarrassed about becoming interested in Cadillacs. Reading these posts has somewhat alleviated my embarrassment.

While I don't care too much for the CTS, I must admit the DTS and STS have a certain appeal to me. It must be the nice interior. I love my 98 Grand Prix, but I am getting so tired of the cheap looking Pontiac interior. It would be nice if Cadillac woke up and offered the center console without having to spend 50K on a DTS, though.
  • My first Caddy was a 2001 STS fully loaded. I was 37 at the time (2 yrs ago). I am now 39 and going to be leasing either a DTS or another STS in Dec (if not sooner). My 2001 is diamond white with every option possible including the nav system. I too do not care for the CTS, but that is probably because I am spoiled with the STS. I am looking at a 2003 black DTS with lighter interior. Any feedback from DTS drivers appreciated. Thanks.
  • I'm a 20 year old.......(trapped in a 45-year old body:)
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    Well guys, I'm 27 and if I had $50K to spend on a car there would be a Crimson Pearl STS(or maybe a Sable Black DTS) in my driveway. I have always liked Cadillacs, even in the early 90s when their cars were rather stoic looking. I currently have an Oldsmobile Intrigue and am seriously considering a CTS to replace it in a year or so as the CTS is closer to my price range and it is an absolute joy to drive. Unless I see killer deals on 03s late next summer, I'm waiting for the 2004 model which may get some interior tweaks and a more powerful standard V6 engine. Funny thing is that many of my friends who are my age like Cadillacs as well and believe me, they are fully aware of what a Northstar V8 will do. Trouble again is the price of entry. The Catera never appealed to me, but the CTS certainly does and hopefully will give us "younger" and less heeled Caddy fans a worthy entry level model.
  • I just purchased a used 2000 DeVille. When I got it I found that the driver door speaker was not working. I took it to my Cadillac dealer, and they said it was just disconnected. The used car dealer (not a Cadillac dealer) I bought the car from told me that there was a problem with the door chime, and that I should have the Cadillac dealer check it, but when I got the car, there was no problem, so I thought it had gone away. Now that the speaker is reconnected, the door chime goes off ALL the time the driver door is open, and the car is NOT running (when running and the driver door is opened the chime does not go off). My Cadillac dealer did a search for warranty work on the car, and found that the ignition key assembly had been replaced. I also discovered that the door electric lock button will not lock the doors. I remember from reading the owners manual that the system is programed to disable the door lock button when a key is in the ignition. I am wondering if something is causing the car to think there is a key in the ignition, thus causing the door chime and the electric lock button to not work. The electric lock button will unlock the doors, but not lock them.

Anyone have any ideas, or has this ever been discussed before? That door chime is loud and drives me nuts! Otherwise the car is a joy to drive! 25,000 miles on it, and the interior is like new.

My only other problem is that I can not drive this lovely car and enjoy it, because.....it is a hearse. It is very frustrating to spend a lot of money on a luxury car and not be able to enjoy hitting the road in it! Due to the cost of hearses, I paid more (or maybe equal to) for this 2000 used than I think anyone paid for a brand new sedan in 2000.
    Maybe you are leaving something in the
    car turned on. Headlights, Int. lights ,
    etc. How long have you had this car?
    Most newer cars have a dealer warranty
    and/or the remainder of the mfrs. new car
    warranty. There may be a deductable
    on it tho. What state are you in ?
    Call that dealer and Caddy warranty
    service 800 number in your owners books.
    Prob. just a simple wiring problem !
    You could always pull out/disconnect
    The crazy chime !.....
    good luck keep us posted !.......geo
    Since I'm somewhat new to this messageboard, I was wondering what kinds of perks most dealers offer when you bring your Caddy in for service ?

For example, I've heard that Lexus offers things like free car washes, and the like.
    ...I'm perhaps the youngest buyer of a new Cadillac Brougham. I was only 24 when I purchased a new 1989 Cadillac Brougham in January of that year. My second new Cadillac - a base model 1994 DeVille was purchased at 29. My 2002 Seville STS was purchased just 4 months short of my 37th birthday.
  • why gm doesn't offer the bucker seats, at least as an option, in the base deville is a major drawback for me. to spend the extra money for the dhs or dts just to get the shifter on the floor and the bucket seats, isn't worth it to me. jackg
  • merckxmerckx Posts: 565
    Actually,I like the bench. After all,how often are you going to be driving a Deville agressively enough to want to manually shift the automatic? Buckets can offer more lateral support,but when was the last time a Deville was driven in such a sporting manner.
    I think buckets look a little silly in such a wide car. And the bench giver the front at least visually the perception of being a roomier cabin.
    It's a nice place to rest your right hand.
    And finally,it's nice to have wife or girlfriend slide a little closer when cruisin'.
    Funny,but i wouldn't object to the stiffer DTS,but I'd never get buckets. I almost bought a base Deville for my wife last year,but she thought it too stodgy(I disagree),so we got a Catera.And if IT could have come with a colum shift,I'd have gone for it in a minute.
    The extra $$ for the DTS gets you more than just bucket seats and a floor console. Start with 25 more hp, 17" wheels, a suspension upgrade, and a few other things such as real wood(base Devilles have fake), better instrumentation, and perforated leather seating. If you the upgraded instrumentation, real wood, and a few other upgrades over a base Deville but don't want the bucket seats, get a DHS.
    New base 02 deville here ! The BOSS wanted
    the bench seat ! So her litte doggie could
    sit next to her...LOL.....Me I am lucky to
    even get the shotgun seat. Gotta sit in
    back to keep the kids apart !!!!!..geo
  • that buckets aren't offered on the base since the
    engineers made such an improvement in the handling of the platform over the previous deville, that buckets would be a natural choice. i defintely see the advantage to a bench, when it comes to snuggling or hauling people, i just think that gm could sell more devilles with the option of buckets and a floor shifter.

for me the cost difference is big enough between the base and the dhs/dts to preclude their selection. jackg
    I think GM figures it will make more $$$ since people will spend the extra $7,000 between the base and the DTS to get the sportier interior, analog guages, etc.
  • Does anyone remember when Cadillacs had those little "extra" touches that really separated them from the other GM products? Think back to say, 1983 or 1984. If you looked inside a Sedan DeVille as opposed to say, an Electra or Ninety Eight, you noticed certain things. For instance:
    1. Cadillac (and all GM divisions) actually had their own shift and steering wheel designs
    2. Ashtrays (all with lighters) made of real metal, not black aluminum that feels like plastic, that could even hold a cigar in the back seat!
    3. Back-of-the-front seat handles/pulls
    4. Those "braces" underhood that looked like a giant X (only Caddy had these-I suppose to lessen vibrations?)
    5. Deeper-pile and more dense carpeting, and a real rubber mat for the trunk-not another mat of Cavalier-grade carpet
    6. Power trunk lid pull down
    7. Guidematic lights (auto-dim) - if they could design it to work in 1958, why not in 2002?

These are just a few little things that I remember Cadillacs having - and I am only 34. Not having any of these features certaintly wont stop me from getting a 2003 DeVille (base), but I sure miss them! If anyone can think of other features old Caddys had, let me know. I know that GM could put all of these features on the DeVille for probably $ 1000 or so (remember they are building roughly 100,000 DeVilles per year), and I would gladly pay! I hope they're listening!!!
    ...you pretty much described my 1989 Cadillac Brougham! Don't forget the three fender-mounted fiber optic lights on each front fender! It has all those features. My 1994 DeVille had the trunk pull-down and little red lights above the rear window in the interior to show turn direction, brake lights, and illuminated taillamps. These features are strangely absent in my 2002 STS. I sure miss them! Of course my STS has a lot of features absent from my '89 Brougham and '94 DeVille.
    The fiber optic Tailight monitors in the
    roof ( you could see in the rearview mirror)
    on my 90 deville... My 72 Fleetwood and 89
    90 Devilles I had also had the fiber
    optic monitors in the front fenders.
    But my 96 and 02 didn't/don't have them
    .....geo
    Lemko beat me to it !
  • Forgot about those great lamp monitors! What about the "trumpet horn"? Dont get me wrong - there are tons of improvements over the older models - Northstar vs. V8-6-4, better controlled handling (while still giving us that Cadillac ride), better workmanship/reliability. I guess I'm a sucker for nostalgia - but I still dont think there's a reason why the "Standard of the World" can't be the standard once more. Come on GM, you can give us a world beater in the Corvette, and your SUV's are great (Tahoe, Suburban, etc.) - you can do it for Caddy!
    I can be on a crowded street in any city with car horns blaring everywhere and can pick out the Cadillac by the sound of the horn. I think GM is trying harder to make Cadillac a world-beater more than any other division at this time.
  • That Caddy horn note is great! I just drove (for the 3rd time) a base DeVille (2003) - cant decide whether to take the plunge on a 2002 or 2003 yet. I firmly to believe that if more foreign car buyers drove the DeVille before plunking down 55-60K for a mid-size Mercedes or Lexus, they would think twice. For $ 15,000 less, they would get a car with more interior room, more trunk room, smoother ride and better climate control, for starters. I cannot wait to take my Caddy cross-country...would be curious to hear from all you out there who have done the same (i mean from East to West or vice-versa - a nice 3000+ mile trip) - how did she perform?
    In the high $30s,it way undercuts a Mercedes E320. and that strikes me as great value. But the DTS gets too close to the Benz. As you near $50K,I'd much rather the MB.
  • you are right - the base is an unbelievable value compared to the MB 320. As far as comparing the DTS, its MB "competition" would be the E430. At almost $60K for the 430 (vs. $47-48K or less for a DTS w/discounts), I still think the Caddy is a good value.
    I'd take the E320-it's adequately fast,even if it dosen't have that big honkin' Caddy V-8. So in my mind they very much competors,even if the cylinder count isn't the same.
    Make mine a DTS or STS, no stinkin Benz for me. To get an MB with the room, features, and power of a DTS your looking at an S-class and your over $70K then. Sorry, but even at DHS and DTS levels, the Caddy is a great value. The E430 is history as the new E-class will be offered in either V6 E320 or V8 E500 and I can only wonder how much more the 500 will be over the 430. I'm sorry, but if I'm spending nearly 50 large on a car, I want at least eight cylinders. Having recently driven an SLS for a week and experiencing a Northstar at full throttle, there is nothing quite like the sound. You Caddy owners will know what I mean:)
    I used to lament the passing of some of the "unique" Caddy touches, but realize that many buyers consider them "fluff" these days. The power trunk lid pull down was neat(actually Olds and Buick had that too), but with today's better fitting body panels and aluminum or composite trunk lids, closing them is not a chore. Also, those things were easily broken by a caddie or skycap(or grocery store clerk) who slams your trunk. The rear lamp monitors were neat and I'm not sure, but doesn't the driver info center on newer Caddies have a lamp outage warning? As for comparing the Caddy to the high end Buick or Olds, Cadillac still trumps them big time. Beginning with a Northstar V8 and upgraded suspension components. Also, the Deville and Sevilles have their own instrument cluster whereas Buicks and Olds just have a regular analog cluster. Also, Cadillac still offers the automatic parking brake release and is the only one to have a true tri-zone climate control(Olds and Buick just have air vents in back). So to me, Cadillac still has many things the lesser GM cars don't, especially when you look at it under the bonnet where things really count.