Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• chmeeeechmeeee Posts: 327
    How much has that lowered your car? I would love to upgrade my suspension, but with the state of the roads in my area I dont dare risk lowering it. I've already experienced metal on pavement sound effects from frost heaves, so losing an inch would be no good at all.
  • I really did get that deal on the Jetta..and actually it was no haggling. I have no reason to make it up..who am I am trying to impress? I leased it new at the end of June 02, and bought a 2002 with 6 miles on the odometer.. leather, monoson, sunroof, tiptronic, heated seats..did not get the 17 inch sport package,so 15 inch alloys, black with tan leather interior..I had gone in to lease a 2.0 GL with 1000 down 229 a month. They were selling Jetta's like crazy and were out of the GL's..so the sales manager said he would give me the GLS with velour, elec. windows for the same price..I had really liked Golfs more, the styling..I said whoa, make me a deal like that on a Golf and we have a deal..he told me all of the incentives were on Jettas (just like they are now again I might add) and I said ok, what if I get the 1.8T Jetta, maybe that will be a little more exciting (I was trying to get back into a low payment after having paid 400 a month on my last two cars) so he gave me the deal on the 1.8T, a thousand down , 268 a month... and if you can beleive it the interest is only 1.5%. and the sales manager is the one who told me he had made so many homeruns that weekend, that he did not need to make a killing on me..sometimes you think a place is slow they will be grateful for any business, but in this case it was because this place was successful that they were able not to need every nickel from every deal.

BTW I have since become an F&I Manager for a car dealership and trust me I know what I am talking about..that's how come I also know what the interest rate is..because I know how to convert money factors into interest rates..in case you question me on the 1.5% interest rate too..and truthfully only my car credit is good (5 new car loans in 10 years) and the rest of my credit is less than stellar..but because it was sent through with so many other strong deals, I benefited all around..as a matter of fact when I get my lease statement from VW credit, it says no interest has been accessed on the loan..I wish JJThompson lived in California.. I would get him the same deal on the Jetta 1.8T if he wanted it..
  • AnakinAnakin Posts: 410
    The H&R Sport springs lower the car 1.5"

If you want the handling bonus without lowering it, I think H&R sells some that don't lower the car but are stiffer.
  • justinjustin Posts: 1,918
    they do sell some set ups that DON'T lower the car, for those that don't like that "look"...

and YES, my 01 Civic EX was a grand more a year in insurance over my TURBO Jetta. they told me flatout, you live in an urban area, and Honda's are stolen, or taken apart on the streets. many Integras had the wheels taken right off in my parking garage. that makes insurance rates go higher for those cars. believe it or not, a Miata would be even lower than my Jetta. i am being killed because of TURBO :( but still cut my bill in half by getting rid of the Civic. now that i think about it though, an Accord is a more a family car, maybe they aren't stolen. though based on stats, it seems that they are...
  • That is an amazing deal for the vehicle that you got. Thanks for the offer to help me out, but unfortunately I do not live in California. I am in Arkansas. If I can manage to work the same deal I will definitely go with the 1.8T.
  • ooprisoopris Posts: 1
    I have a Volkswagen Jetta 1998(89,000 km).
    I have to change the timing belt at 96000km.
    Where do you recommand to change the timing belt at a Volkswagen dealer or any other auto service can do it?
    I'm not sure what "look" you're talking about Justin. The H&R springs lower the car so the wheels are perfectly centered in the wheel openings.

It looks more balanced than the stock 4x4 look with wheelgap you could stick your head in. Yuck.

I didn't buy the low rider kit. ;)

Here's a pic of a GTI with the H&R sports. I don't have pics of my car yet so you'll have to wait. :) Maybe I can snap some tonight.

wow, sounds like you are on the defensive about your modding decision already! i simply said that their are kits available for people that don't care for the dropped "look". just remember - modding is apparently like getting tattoos - can't stop with just one. if you start getting fire extinguishers installed in your car, and start talking in that SoCal street racer lingo, then i will be worried, haha.

and my car doesn't look like a 4x4. i am gonna find a pic of it - i wonder if there is something wrong with mine. my car couldn't handle bigger wheels - my stock 15" look close to scraping the fenders as it is.
    The point I was making is that 1.5" drop doesn't really look "dropped." The average joe wouldn't be able to tell by looking.

You don't need to find a pic of 15" wheels. I used to have some.

IMO, the car looks like it's sitting on top of the wheels instead of like they're part of the car.

I'll post pics of my car once I get a chance to take some so you can all bask in my glory. ;)
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Do the springs and shocks make more of a difference than the swaybar did alone? I am gonna get an Autotech bar for mine, but didn't really wanna mess with the springs and shocks.

In addition, my Jetta sits lower than the ones on standard suspension and 15s. I know, because 3 of my co-workers have the standard suspension and 15s, and I have the factory sport suspension and 15s, and my car sits physically lower.
    I know modding is like getting tattoed to some, but other know where to stop...
  • chmeeeechmeeee Posts: 327
    Justin, no matter how much space in the wheel well, you could upgrade your wheel size, because the overall tire diameter will not change.
    I had the 17s with my car when I got it, and I ended up selling those wheels and getting the 15s to replace them. I drive about 25-30K a year, and couldn't see paying $550 for a set of tires for what amounts to once yearly. In addition, the 15s handle just as well with the sport suspension as the 17s did. I was surprised at that fact myself.
    I dunno where you buy your tires.

Kumho Ecsta 712 for my 17" wheels were $78 each.

The springs and shocks make a lot more difference in cornering than I was expecting, even though I already had the swaybar. The car now corners almost perfectly flat.

I even broke the tail loose a bit hugging a turn last night. :D
    I like the way the car corners already, except its body lean. I think I should be fine with just the sway. I would rather spend the remaining cash for a chip, exhaust, and DV than for the suspension.

I priced tires at the BJ's, and Sam's Club. The 15s are alot cheaper. I just had to replace a tire due to bubbling, and it only cost me $66 out the door. Better than $1-- for the 17s...
    Yeah, you'd want to get the sway first and then see how you like it. If you already have the factory sport suspension you might like it ok with just a sway.
    I know there is a noticeable difference between the stock and factory sport suspensions, even though I hear it's only 5% stiffer.
  • adg44adg44 Posts: 385
    You're going to want race springs in 6 months. I had the same setup as you on my GTI, wanted something lower, switch to H&R Race, H&R Front Sway and added a Neuspeed rear sway. Talk about a perfect drop. One finger gap between the wheels and the fenders. Granted I couldn't go up steep driveways or go over big speed bumps - so the sport drop was more resonable!

H&R Sells "OEM" Sport springs, that drop the car something like .5". This is ok to use with factory shocks.

When lowering a car, it's the shocks that make the difference almost more than the springs. When you get race springs or sport springs, you need a shock that is properly dampened to match the rate of the springs. This keeps the car from "bouncing" and vastly improves your handling.

The rear sway bar is the best bet for cutting body roll without doing anything else. Even with my car with Bilstein sports, H&R Race, H&R front sway, once I added the rear sway, it transformed the car. Since the springs are progressive, they have to compress a bit first before they get stiff, so going into a corner there is that initial lean until the springs compress. The rear sway bar stiffens up the chasis so there is barely any lean to begin with. I loved taking corners in my GTI, it was perfectly neutral and always went where I pointed it. (OK, great tires help a lot here too!)

The factory sport suspension is 10% stiffer than the normal suspension. It also drops the car 10mm. Factory sport shocks are also gas pressurized, unlike the non-sport ones which are air. Also the sport suspension has 2mm thicker front and rear sway bars.

And just for kicks, since you guys saw a lowered GTI 1.5", here is mine dropped just a wee bit over 2". Man that was a fun car..... drop will look the same on a jetta, because the wheel wells are cut the same.

- Anthony
    I don't think I'll want any more drop than I have. I think it looks perfect and rides perfect. Any stiffer, and the ride would be way too harsh. Seattle has crappy roads. I don't think I-5 through downtown has been paved in 20 years.
    Here's a quick photo I snapped tonight. Unfortunately I don't have a nice scene like Anthony's, but this will have to do until I can get to a more scenic location.

I tried to edit out the orange light with photoshop, but there is only so much you can do. :P

That's the problem with lowering for me. Baltimore city's streets are crap, so much so now after this past snow that I have been taking the highway to go certain places to save wear/tear on my car. In addition, I carry passengers at work sometimes and can't change rubbing. And if I can't go 1.5" or more, what's the point?! :)

I am about to get a Neuspeed 1.1bar as well as a Eurosport exhaust, and already got a new DV on the way from a GB.

Love the TT wheels, BTW!
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    that's a nice color, the same as mine. don't really care for the alloys though.
    The pic I took last night was really poor, so here are some better ones. :)

i like the red. did you take out the stock yellow front bumper side lights? i know that my fender side lights are clear, but my front bumper lights are yellow....i think.
    just scrolled back. that silver VW pic is typical of the "look" i don't like, personally. all that big wheel, and bottom scraping spoiler ground-effects stuff. the difference between VW and Honda is the more refined shape/subdued style of VW's. whoever did that to that poor silver GTI should have bought an Integra! :) i don't think the classy body shapes of the VW's take well to all that added junk. my opinion of course.

the red Jetta i could live with - but not where i have to drive. there is no way to get the car up over a curb or anything! well, there is, but not without hurting/scraping it. here where i live, people don't know how to drive, and you often have to take at least one wheel over a curb to get in your turn lane so you don't miss the light. i would feel bad doing that in the red car.
    He has clear front bumper lights, just like I have tinted ones on my car. :) I don't know how to post a pic of mine, or I would...
    Trying to get in on a GB for the Pro-Kit.. do I need the dampers or can I use my stock ones (since they're 'sport' already)? Thanks!
    Driving over curbs?!

It sounds like you really abuse your car.

You should buy a truck. :P
  • adg44adg44 Posts: 385
    "That's the problem with lowering for me. Baltimore city's streets are crap, so much so now after this past snow that I have been taking the highway to go certain places to save wear/tear on my car. In addition, I carry passengers at work sometimes and can't change rubbing. And if I can't go 1.5" or more, what's the point?! :)"

I was up there over the summer for a baseball game with some friends. Got lost on the way back, ended up driving through the ghetto of Baltimore, some of these bumps I hit, I thought it was the end of my car. Luckilly the TT wheels are forged! Mind you I had 4 people in the car at this time, so it was VERY low. Sometimes the back wheels would rub inside the wheel wells. Cool... :)

"just scrolled back. that silver VW pic is typical of the "look" i don't like, personally. all that big wheel, and bottom scraping spoiler ground-effects stuff. the difference between VW and Honda is the more refined shape/subdued style of VW's. whoever did that to that poor silver GTI should have bought an Integra! :) i don't think the classy body shapes of the VW's take well to all that added junk. my opinion of course."

Uh..... Integra? Those are european VW bumpers, a rieger front lip, and factory Audi wheels. Super smooth, IMO.

"Trying to get in on a GB for the Pro-Kit.. do I need the dampers or can I use my stock ones (since they're 'sport' already)? Thanks!"

You need the pro-kit dampers. It'll make a world of difference.

Anakin, your drop looks great. Looked lower than when I had the sports on my car.

Stay off those curbs though..... :P
    a little slow speed curb action is required sometimes. not really abuse. just "severe" usage. if the car can't take it, then i don't want the car. i guess i got rid of the Wrangler's years ago, but never got rid of the desire to get where i am going :)