Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Thanks. The car is pretty sharp looking, and has lots of room inside as well as cargo space.

Just in case, I actually got a warranty for 5 years/100,000 miles on the car. I want to be sure everything will be ok for at least that long. This one might actually be around long enough to be paid off. :)
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Interesting car choice. I'm a bit surprised considering your desire for a fast car...But, hey, I guess those low payments can be quite enticing :) I knew you wouldn't buy used....hehe
  • AnakinAnakin Member Posts: 410
    Why not get a Turbo PT? Those things are just as fast as the 1.8T Jetta. My wife loves the PT and there's a chance we will get one of those once we pay off my Jetta.
    The Turbo PT was over my payment and insurance cap. I wanted a car that was a good deal less than the VW was because I have other plans in my life at this stage than to pay for a car.

Don't get me wrong, the Jetta's a nice car. But my credit wasn't the best when I got it, and the interest rate reflected that. I got a Chrysler because I work for them and got a killer deal first, but I do like the vehicle alot. I also needed more room (for my dog and my niece and nephew as they grow up) than the Jetta provided.
  • tulanekid24tulanekid24 Member Posts: 25
    Wow.. you got a really great interest rate. However, I would have NOT financed a Chrylser for 72 months!! They depreciate very rapidly, and you will forever be upside down on this car. I hope you have good GAP on this loan too. What I have heard from numerous sources is that if you have to finance for more than 48 months, then you can't afford that car. Sorry for the financial counseling. hehehe

Enjoy the NEW car!
    Thanks for the advice. I did get GAP insurance on this car as well. I will never own another car without GAP, I think it should be a law that you have to get it.

I could have gotten 0% for 60 months, and it would have still been less than the Jetta's payment I had. I wanted to stretch it out a little though because I wanna use money for other stuff as well as the car. The car was also about $2500 less than MSRP and $250 below even dealer invoice, so I have some equity to 'play with' there.

I can always pay it off early if I want to. Also, with the interest rate, it shouldn't be upside down. I also drive alot less than I used to as well, so that will come into play.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Congrats on your new car. The PT is a pretty cool car. I have read allot about it from it roll out and they give it great reviews (except for power). Also, which is surprising for a Chrysler, they have great reliabilty records. Car mags actually praise the car.....
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    Some questions...

What is "GAP" insurance? (GreatAutomobilePerformance, GreenAccessoryProtection ;-)

Why not finance for as loonnnggg as possible if the rates are exceptionally low AND one plans to keep the vehicle for over 12 years?

Is it not irrelevant what the "bluebook value" is on a vehicle if one does not plan to sell it?

Should I have paid CASH for my Jetta? (although I plan to keep for over 12 years) I thought it was best to put my CASH into higher-yeilding returns if the loan rate was below that. (It takes me 12 years to save up enough money to purchase the next vehicle 8-)

The only financial benifet I can see to purposely shortening an auto loan is that it would allow one to remove that pesky, expensive collision insurance and only carry liability.

Am I missing something else here?
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    The main thing that turned me off from the PT was the fact that it is really just a NEON with a different body on it.

think about this:
    How can the NEON have such mediocre reliability while the PT crewzer does not?... is it the clientele that purchase the PT are less critical of the vehicle? Are the clientele that purchase the NEON harder on the vehicles?
    This is an automotive myth that has been passed around for the last few years.

The base 2.4 liter engine came from Chrysler's minivans.

The early Pronto concept cars were based heavily on the Neon's floorpan and mechanicals, but as the Pronto evolved into the PT, Chrysler found that it just couldn't get the Neon platform to work with the twist beam axle and Watts linkage. So, someone logged onto the CAD station and whipped up a new platform, which borrows from Mopars past and present, but shares very few parts-bin bits with them.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    congrats on the new car. stop parking in ghetto areas with this one!! :)

the cranberry looks nice. do me a favor - DO NOT PUT WOLFSBURG STICKERS ON THIS ONE, haha.

just think, you can also use cheap gas now!!

oh, and don't be fooled. you don't have any equity in that car. in order to have equity, you would have needed to pay about $14k for it. "equity" and "brand new car" are terms that don't ever mesh, unless you put down thousands and thousands. in which case, you lost money anyway.

keep this one - my mom keeps her American cars until they die. her 95 Grand Am has 300k miles on it now, her 95 Stratus 100k miles. no engine rebuilds, only maintenance and lots of brakes.
    I really thought the PT was based on the Neon platform. Hmmmmmmmmm
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Should I have paid CASH for my Jetta? (although I plan to keep for over 12 years) I thought it was best to put my CASH into higher-yeilding returns if the loan rate was below that. (It takes me 12 years to save up enough money to purchase the next vehicle 8-)

You're correct. I keep beating my friends over the head with this. One person stated she had 20k and she was going to buy a new car. Straight out! Uh, if you can get a 0% loan for 5 years and you plan (as she did) to keep the car for 7, then finance it! People just aren't very good with money. Simple as that.

BTW, I'm fairly certain the PT and Neon share a platform.

http://www.automotive-technology.com/projects/pt_cruiser/

http://autoreviews.com/chrysler/pt-cruiser_2000.html

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/chrysler/ptcruiser/100288269/road- - testarticle.html?articleId=44277&tid=edmunds.e.roadtests.cont- - ent...Chrysler* "Its Neon beginnings shine through in the Cruiser's excellent suspension tuning, responsive turn-in and minimal body roll."

Um, excellenting suspension on a Neon? To each his own.
    The PT is on a platform originally derived from the Neon platform.

That's a lot different than saying "it's a Neon" as if it was simply a re-skin.
    That does not sound like what you originally stated. I believe that the price was kept down on the PT due to the fact is was based on a Neon.
  • chmeeeechmeeee Member Posts: 327
    The Neon actually does have very good suspension. Just look at how many of them you see at Autocross races, and how good they usually manage to do.
    The Neon actually does have very good suspension. Just look at how many of them you see at Autocross races, and how good they usually manage to do.

The last words that come to mind when driving a Neon are "good suspension." On a scale of 1-10 (dumptruck being a 1 and racecar being a 10) i'd place the Neon at around a 3. Maybe a 4.

Of course my displeasure with my few neon rentals resides mostly in the engine, drivetrain, transmission and interior materials/refinement. How that car is sold is still beyond me.
    I said the PT is NOT a Neon.

The platform was originally based off a modified Neon platform, but is generally considered to be a "new" platform, often referred to as a "tall wagon" or "light truck" platform. (I think they might have been able to squeak it in as a light truck, which relaxes the CAFE requirements) There may be some shared bits here and there, but the engine came from the minivan line (although the new turbo engine may be similar to that in the SRT-4, I'm not sure) and overall there is enough difference that it's really not fair to say the PT is a Neon.
  • ccozadd1ccozadd1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Volkswagen Jetta that is no longer covered by warranty. The "check engine" light recently came on and I want to take it to an honest mechanic to have it looked at. I live in Los Angeles (on the west side). Can anyone recommend a mechanic?
  • donnabgooddonnabgood Member Posts: 37
    Hey Vocus, congrats on your new car..sorry your car was totalled, but maybe in the long run it works out for the best.

So you work in Chrysler Finanacial now, eh? I work as a Finance and Insurance Manager for a Chrysler dealership

The PT is a very nice car, and the limited is nicely equipped. Saving 125 a month on payments has to feel like the best luxury.. :) Chrysler have some great cars, if only because they are Diamler Chrysler now and share a lot with MBZ. If I would guessed which car you would have chosen from Chrysler aftwer the Jetta my money would have been on the Liberty. Lately I have noticed the same people who lease Jetta's trade them in for a Liberty lease.

I think the PT comes with a 7/70 powertrain warranty now too, so you're good..

so interesting to hear you are a big believer in Gap insurance..I sell it all the time to clients, but have just recently found out some insurance companies automatically give it with their policies.. it's worth talking to your insurance agent everyone and finding out if your policy has it..leasing contracts always include gap insurance..

anyway enjoy your new car..

I am still in the 02 Jetta 1.8t.. can you beleive only 8900 miles after 1` year of ownership.. oh the benefits of working close to home..

next car is the NB Cabrio or Audi TT or Crossfire if all goes well.. ha ha fun to dream..

Donna
  • chmeeeechmeeee Member Posts: 327
    8900 after one year? That is pretty low. I am heading for my 30k service after 13 months.
    I had 40K on the Jetta after 18 months, but I used to work in DC and commute daily. So far, the PT had 34 miles on it Wednesday night when I took delivery, and it now has 190 or so.

Donna: Surprising you work for DCX as well. Look at the prices you get for working there. That's mostly why I chose the PT, it's alot cheaper to own and buy than the VW is/was. The added bonus was the reliability data I found in Consumer Reports magazine. How about the 02 PT has a higher reliability rating than the 02 Camry OR Altima? I found it as a shock too, but it's right there in black, white, and red.

Thanks for the well wishes. :)
  • dancermandancerman Member Posts: 220
    I just wanted to give the gas mileage for our 2002 VR6 Jetta. We've had it for 14 months and it's has 20,000 miles on it. It's driven daily in moderate traffic averaging under 30 mph. It gets 23 mpg week after week. We took a 700 mile trip last weekend (averaging 55 mph) and got 33.5 mpg. I am amazed and pleased that the VR6 gets that high of mileage on the highway.
    It's gone! Yahoo. The era of the Jetta has ended. I finally unloaded the 1.8T (and took a huge financial bath in the process). I don't mind one bit though. :)

I hope its next owner loves it more than I did.
    Congrats on selling the car finally. Who did you end up selling it to (I mean what type of person)?
    A dealership. :( I had it listed for almost a grand below kbb's private party price and nobody called anymore!

Suck it up, learn a lesson and move on I guess.
    Don't feel bad man. Mine came in $1113 under payoff and it was a total loss. Thank God for GAP insurance. And yes, I bought it for the PT as well. ;)
    so how are you dealing with the lack of power. after the first few days, you get used to it, huh? not so bad....
    The car is actually more powerful than one would think. I haven't had any trouble, but I won't be red light racing any time soon in it. It's enough for me, and the parts/maintenance won't cost an arm and a leg either!
    Where is everyone???
    I'm still around.

Got nothing to complain about tho. Jetta is good. :D
    I'm here too. I have no complaints about the Jetta either. ;)
    GAP insurance is an accrouymun that stands for "Guranteed Automotive Protection" which means it pays the difference between what your insurenace company gives you should your car be a total loss. Insurance companies give you "current narket value" and GAP steps in to pay the difference between current market value and what may is owed on the loan.. the difference between those figures can be dramatic, especially with zero down and high interest rate loans..for the record most leases automatically include GAP.

Vocus glad you are enjoying the PT. It has a lot of style for the dollar..I am pleasantly surprised by the market who are attracted by that car.. a lot of young Gen X'er types, and a few older people who have had Jags and Cadilliac for years and are just attracted to the PT's retro look.. I kid you not. It really does cross boundaries across the board in the marketplace..I am also surprised that the PT Limited is the biggest seller, and the PT GT (turbo) rarely sells at all..though performance is increased.. I guess people feel the PT look is enough of a statement and don't work to fork over the extra $$ for more power..VW is the only company I know of that was able to introduce different engines in the same body style with any real success I know of.

I work at a Chrysler and Ford dealership, so I will proably end up getting a Ford Mustang convertiable (GT if I can afford the extra $$ of stepping up to the better engine at that time.) Luckily I am eligable for the A plan through Ford which is about 3000 behind invoice) and Chrysler only offers us invoice pricing plus 750 employee rebate..so Ford is going to get my business next time around.

I Love the NB cabrio and think they will hold their resale well, but the Mustang has classic American style and is attractive too, and in GT clothes it is all mean machine..

Best,
    Donna
    On the DCX invoices, there is a price that says 'EP' next to it and that's the price employees get, after one is with DCX for 6 months. Maybe the dealers don't get it, but I work for Financial and got the 'friends and family' discount because I had only been there 3 months instead of the required 6 to get the EP. At $250 or so under invoice, I am still happy. I didn't get a rebate because I took the 1.9% financing, but it would have been $2500 rebate.

You getting a new Mustang or the current body?

How's the Jetta holding up?
    1.9% financing, but it would have been $2500 rebate.

You gave up a $2500 extra rebate to take 1.9% for 5 or 6 years?

On a 20k car subtract 2500 and do a peoplefirst loan for 72 months at their rate of 4.75 = $279.81. $20,000 car loan for 72 months at 1.9 comes out to $294 a month! I nearly killed a friend who called me saying she was about to buy a $15400 elantra and take 60 months at 0% instead of 4% on a $13000 loan with the rebate.
    My credit was not good enough to get a low rate from PeopleFirst, so I took the 1.9%, which is offered on almost anything DCX up to a certain credit rating (according to their 'chart') but with no rebate. My rate would have been closer to 11% had I taken the rebate (as it was on the VW). I also qualified for the 0% through DCX, but the payment would have been higher than I set my 'ceiling' for when looking for another car.
    vocus, wow, hope this car helps you fix that credit. :)
    It's not the car loans that messed up the credit, it's the fact that I got a little irresponsible with credit cards when I turned 18, as alot of people do. I learned my lesson though.
    Most, no make that all People First bank checks I have seen have been written at 8.9 APR or above.. I wonder really who gets the 4.75? You can still get a fairly good interest rate with the rebate, but if it was me I would proably choose the low interest rate too..who knows when interest rates will ever be so low again? It is one of the main advatages of buying not leasing a new car..and ruined the used car market that is for sure..

as for me Vocus still love the Jetta, and have another two years on the lease..my neice loves my jetta too, so if I do switch into a ford will proably let her have the jetta at cost. It really is a good car..I just like cars so much that I want one of everything.. lol, so I talk about my next car (whatever that will be) alot..I think in my imagination I have owned the Crossfire, Thunderbird, for image, the PT for going to the beach, and the mustang for driving on the coast..who knows what will be next..but if the NB conv. base edition ends up costing the same as a Mustang conv for me, I think it would be smarter to go with the Ford. IN 2005 they will be introducing a Mustang GT, that almost looks exotic race car..we shall see..

by the way Vocus you should feel proud that you qualified for 1.9 over 72 months, kudos..the only time I have seen someone choose a rebate over subvented rates (0% and 1.9% APR) is when they are paying cash in full for their purchase.. main motivation for people choosing to spend that much cash instead of taking advantage of the low interest rates and investing that money for a better return is hating monthly bills, they don't want to be bothered. Even with automaatic debit they still feel it is not worth it.. to each his own..

Cheers,
    Donna
    Donna,

Um, everyone I've directed toward peoplefirst has received loan notification within 20 minutes. Always at the site's rates.

If you can get a 4% loan, then taking a 1.9% loan on a 20k car over $2500 off is downright silly. Do the math...

A 20k car loan at 1.9% for 60 months = $349.68
    A 20k car minus 2500 so a $17,500 loan at 4% for 60 months = 322.21

Heck, even a 7% APR on $17,500 comes out cheaper!

As long as your credit is decent take the rebate when it's thousands of dollars and the car is relatively cheap.
  • adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    C'mon, where are all the people complaining about how their Check Engine Light is on in their Jettas? :D
  • dgluthdgluth Member Posts: 50
    What about incentives? will they get better closer to September or should I just buy now?

Also what is a realistic price on a gls 1.8T w/leather?

Thanks
    Dennis
    realistic price of a jetta without incentives is invoice. if incentives exist, then take the amount and subtract it from invoice.
    ...and what Jetta you want. you can get a GL at or below invoice. but a turbo wagon in gold with black leather? not paying invoice....not here in DC.
    so go outside DC. ...plenty of dealers to contact.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    Donna,

i qualified for the lowest rate advertised at peoplefirst.com.
    You live near me??

What dealership were you taking your Jetta to when you had all these problems?
    You live in the MD/DC area too??? Cool! I live in Baltimore and used to work in Lanham.
    i took the coil problems to Alexandria VW. but since i moved i take my Cabrio to Stohlman. though knock wood, i haven't been in awhile...
    I live in Northern VA. I thought you knew this, Vocus?

Stohlmans may or may not be any better. I took my GTI there when I bought it, and they were awful. However, since then all the service advisors and service managers have been booted and new people have taken over.

Seems to be a bit better....