Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• sarah233sarah233 Member Posts: 161
    last week i had the dreaded coilpack problem. didn't know what it was, just freaked that my car with less than 15,000 was ALREADY having a problem. took it to VW santa monica and they fixed it within 8 hours. i am at least glad that the 2 problems i've had with my car (windows, coilpacks) have been recall issues and not something else strange.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    i have had decent experiences with Stohlman - you have to ask for the right advisor :)

everyone at Alexandria is decent it seems.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I got a letter in the mail yesterday from VWoA. It said they were FINALLY going to replace all the coils in all the affected 1.8T engines. They're about 2 months too late to help me though...
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826

I did the math as you suggested and the bottom line is that you pay more interest over the life of the loan with the 4% vs the 1.9%. I will grant you that the monthly payments are 27.47 per month CHEAPER, BUT as it turns out that is almost what you pay more in interest over the 60 mo life of the loan (26.67)

20,000 x 1.9%= 380 per yr interest x 5 yr=1900 life of the loan.

17500 x 4%= 700 per yr interest x 5 yr=3500 life of the loan.

Difference= 380-700= 320yr/12 mo =26.67 mo @60 mo= 1600 dollars

Even factoring in putting 2,500 in the bank and making 4% = 100 x 5 yr = 500- 1600 dollars= 1100/60= still equals 18.33 more a month (How many folks actually DO this????).

What am I missing?
  • gregthompgregthomp Member Posts: 9
    We have a '03 Jetta wagon and our baby is outgrowing the infant car seat we have in it.

I wonder if anyone has a recommendation for a convertible or toddler/booster seat that fits well in that snug backseat of the Jetta. Our infant car seat was a pretty tight fit, so we need a minimum of bulk for the next one.

Greg T.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    What am I missing?

you're missing that you pay less for the car over the life of the loan. you want to sell me a Jetta at 20k with a 1.9% loan or the same jetta with a 10k rebate and 20% loan, i'll take the 10% loan and rebate every time and twice on Sunday.

Who cares how much interest you pay as long as you pay LESS for the car in total? go ahead and take the "low" interest rate that has you spend more in total over the life of the loan.

Amazing to me how bad people are with money...
    Of course the best and the goal is to pay LESS !! The real thing to do is to negotiate in your example the 17,500 and then get the 1.9%. To me, it was more than obvious, the loan was covered in the higher price! The point STILL: 1.9% is cheaper than 4%. Whether you borrow 1 dollar or 1,000,000. It amazes ME how bad people are with money.

So that I am not vague, GOAL:

1. Negotiate your best CAR deal. Invoice and/or below, at most invoice plus 500.

2. THEN negotiate your loan. Then if the 1.9% loan fits do it on that. If your argument is MSRP and/or above, Then do the 1.9% loan again. a 4 % loan on either scenario is still higher than 1.9%

"Who cares how much interest you pay as long as you pay LESS for the car in total? go ahead and take the "low" interest rate that has you spend more in total over the life of the loan."

Reminds me of that old joke: how to make a small fortune in the loan and intest business, start with a LARGE fortune. :)

Actually your quote makes a strong case for paying cash.
    Actually your quote makes a strong case for paying cash.

If you have 17-18k in cash and spend it on a car when you can get a 1.9-4.9% loan, you're not very good at looking at your options. buy the car with those low interest loans and then drop your fat wad on an S&P 500 Index Fund. With the rate of return still hovering at 11%, you'll easily make money even with taxes on the earnings.
    Actually, I am drawing 27% dividends and with a 1.9% loan for me it is much better to leave the 17-20k for a VW and make 25.1%
    27%...wow. Can't argue with that. what are you doing, fronting for a loan shark? ;)

and yet people would say to pay for the car...weird world.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    There are MANY people that DO NOT APPLY THE CASHBACK REBATE TO THE CAR PURCHASE. They see this as "free money" when they buy a car. A wad of cash to spend on a vacation while driving their new car.

They do not realize that they are simply borrowing some xtra cash using their new car as colateral.

I have always wonderd why there are no effective "money management skills" tought in highschool. I know people that pull down 80K a year and barely survive week-to-week. I also know folks that make less than 38K with 5 kids and still manage to pay for vacations and other fun family activities.
    As far as pulling the cash back rebate for themselves, I haven't crossed one finance contract to that affect in the 3 months I have worked for a car financial institution. Everyone seems to put the cash into their down payment.
    I've never purchased a car with any rebates, is it an option to take the dough? Seems logical though not very sensible (unless you're using the cash to make more money than the loan will cost you).

Aren't there rebates on the Jetta right now?
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    (blueguydotcom) You are at the edmunds web site.... Just use the edmunds features to answer your own question 8-)

HINT: edmunds has a button you can clik on to check for any current "incentives" that may be available. Just click on "Incentives & Rebates" to see what is available.
    bpeebles...I know that. I did it to remain in topic. Shhhhh... ;)
  • timrsltimrsl Member Posts: 4
    I am looking for a good car to last me through college. I want something that wont cause too many problems but also be fun to drive and confortable for the long trips to and from. I am looking at a 2000 GLS with 70000 miles and loaded with all options. Its in great shape and at a great price. But will it last 4 years and a max of 10000 a year with minimal problems? Or is it too much of a gamble?
    If you're in college and looking for a good used car I have a few suggestions...

Corolla
    Civic
    Integra

The Corolla is the leader in reliability and you can pick up a used one for a song. A used civic also will cost peanuts and will definitely run forever. avoid a 2.0 jetta, especially a 2000 like the plague. burning oil, window problems, etc.
  • renfrewrenfrew Member Posts: 13
    Hello all,

Well it seems i have a severe coolant leak in my 2002 Jetta 1.8t. I first started noticing it about 3 weeks ago and the past three days it has progressed to me having to fill the reservoir every day. I called Bernardi VW in Natick to get it in there and the next appt is next month! They did not seem to care about my problem and I can't get my normal service rep on the phone to help me out. He is normally great about callbacks. Funny thing is is that this is a new dealership with expanded service bays.

I even called VWoA and they called the service manager who confirmed that they could look at it in a month. Apparently have staffing shortages and are "very busy right now".

Anyway, I called Wellesley VW to see what can be done and it was a world of difference. They can see me next week and were very nice on the phone. Anyone in the MA area have any experience with this dealer?

thanks all for listening
    If I were you, I would have the car towed to the dealership. At that point, they would have to make your car a priority. And since losing coolant will cause the engine to blow if ran long enough that way, you should be able to get the work done promptly.

Guess VW is busy replacing all those blowing coils to work on anything else these days. I got a letter in the mail the other day that they are replacing all coils in the 1.8Ts free of charge. And it only took them almost a year...
  • mishima8105mishima8105 Member Posts: 43
    You'd be making a BIG mistake gambling on a jetta as a college student. Your time and money are valuable. Go with a Civic or Corolla. Basically, something than has a reputation for reliability. My sister has over 95K on her 2000 Civic. She takes her car in for only oil changes and regular maintenance.
  • renfrewrenfrew Member Posts: 13
    Well, i actually got a call yesterday from my service rep who was on vacation and just got back yesterday.

Amazing what happens when you actually talk to someone who cares. Told me to bring it right in and he would make sure it was looked at in the next two days. Apologized for the treatment i recieved from his fill in and for the problems i was having.

So we will see what happens, but it was just nice to be treated as a customer and not a problem.
    on the flipside, you could do worse than a Jetta. get the window recall done, if it hasn't been done already, and you will be all set. the 2.0 liter is fine. the oil consumption issues are a tad overinflated...but if that worries you, a Civic or Corolla or Sentra or Elantra would be fine. just be sure the Civic/Integra was owned by someone that wasn't into mods - and get ready for the insurance cost explosion.
    How much would I be looking at in repairs on average yearly? I dont mind spending a few hundred a year on upkeep and just dont want it to be in the thousands. I drive a honda now and hate the feel of it. Once I sat in the jetta, i fell in love. The interior feels and looks so much better than my accord. Is the oil consumption a huge issue? As long as i get the regular oil changes and check the levels every once in a while ill be fine right? Also, the car will mostly be used driving between cornell and maryland so how reliable are jettas on staying together on longer commutes? Thank for your help.
    The interior feels and looks so much better than my accord.

The parts will squeak, rattle and break much more than in your accord though. Lean on that center armrest and watch it snap!

Is the oil consumption a huge issue? As long as i get the regular oil changes and check the levels every once in a while ill be fine right?

Many, many 2.0s, especially 99-2000s have burn issues. Check out vwvortex for more info.

Also, the car will mostly be used driving between cornell and maryland so how reliable are jettas on staying together on longer commutes?

My jetta never left me stranded but had it not been for my extended warranty I woulda been out well over $600. I only had 32k miles when i sold it...so 8k outside of the standard warranty I had woulda had huge bills. Others have had rock solid cars. But JD Power, CR , et al have plenty of evidence that 2.0s and Jettas in general are unreliable and expensive to repair.
    How much would I be looking at in repairs on average yearly? I dont mind spending a few hundred a year on upkeep and just dont want it to be in the thousands. I drive a honda now and hate the feel of it. Once I sat in the jetta, i fell in love. The interior feels and looks so much better than my accord. Is the oil consumption a huge issue? As long as i get the regular oil changes and check the levels every once in a while ill be fine right? Also, the car will mostly be used driving between cornell and maryland so how reliable are jettas on staying together on longer commutes? Thank for your help.
    Why not consider a TDI? Of all the VW Jetta engines, this one is actually not known for known consumption issues! :) I am pushing 10k on a 3.5 mo old car and probably watch the oil much much more closely than I need to due to reading sites like these :) . At the 5k oil change, NO, I mean NO, change in the dipstick measurement. Again pushing 5k more miles (10k) there is NO change to the dipstick measurement. After this oil change the recommendation is 10k oil and oil filter intervals. Of course cheaper fuel and 45-50 mpg does not hurt either.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    "The interior feels and looks so much better than my accord"

i beg to differ especially against the current accord.
    One of VW's very strong advantage is the 12 year rust free guarantee. I know for sure that Honda and Toyota do not even come close on this item. This of course sounds hollow if the gasser motors crap out too fast! This is why a 10,000 hr diesel is such the economy sleeper!!! At 55 mph average speed, this motor is designed to last in effect 550,000 miles !!! As we know, all things being equal body work is much more expensive than mechanical work. So obviously if the 2.0,1.8, and 6 cylinder motors are crapping out at 220,000 and below this can be more expensive.

There is one guy that posts on other TDI web sites that took a TDI diesel to 623,000 miles and his per mile cost was app 7.5 to 7.8 cents scheduled/unsheduled maintenance. Before I read his article, I figured the cost to be around 5.8- 6.2 cents per mile. I think that the per mile cost is really the ultimate judge. It can be used for tie breaking decisions, but I know that this 12 year rust through guarantee and 10,000 hr design diesel parameter is VERY hard to top.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    timrsl:

I will agree that a Honda will be more reliable than a VW. But, allot of people on this board have/had problems with their Jetta and just as many or more have had no mechanical problems. I have a 2002 Jetta 2.0 and have had zero problems (other than dash rattles). Though dash rattles are extremely annoying, they won't leave you stranded.
    as you can see - there are two schools of thought. Honda and Toyota have reputations of being reliable. and i am sure that most of the time they are. i have had nothing but bad experiences with them personally. my VW 2.0 liter engine doesn't burn a drop. the 2.0 VW engine is actually a very hearty engine - they deliver high mileage if maintained. the oil consumption issue really shouldn't be taken into consideration in my opinion. it was too infrequent - not enough data to see what engines or VIN ranges were affected. either way, if there were a huge problem, you would know. beware - there are people that lurk on sites like these - claim to be lawyers - saying they represent clients with all sorts of issues. ask to see their client list and bar exam results before you buy into that too seriously :) don't let anyone scare you away. use your head and ask lots of questions. what Honda do you have now? why does it "feel" bad?
  • cards28cards28 Member Posts: 145
    "Did you miss me???" Are the infamous words of Sammy Sosa when he arrives to Spring Training late.

I've been away putting miles (just under 4,700 now)on my Jetta and I just don't like the auto tranny including the turbo lag. I did drive the 6 speed manual and was a bit better before I decided on the auto. Better next time.

While driving around yesterday the MIL (check engine icon??)light came on. I stopped at the VW dealer where I purchased it and the SW said it would be OK as long as it doesn't start blinking. He set up an appointment for 2 weeks down the road. No big deal....what do you think?

For those who want to know...I did get it up to 105. My fastest yet.

Now, itsn't this getting fun again?
    ask to see their client list and bar exam results

Bar exam results? Maybe it varies by state but in CA it's a pass/fail test. You either made the cut or you're among the huge portion who failed...no results available.
    Did you try the old gas cap trick? VW's are pretty well known for the check engine light popping on if you don't click your fasten your gas cap until it clicks.

105, eh? Best I ever did in my old 1.8T was 115. Car felt pretty smooth...but LOUD. Still haven't broken 110 in my new car, but 100 is eery quiet and smooth with it. I hit it by accident sometimes.
    i would say that finding out if someone passed the bar or not would be considered "exam results" -

i was half joking - just reminding people that on the Web, anyone can be a Dr., Esq, etc....
    I have a 1992 Honda Accord EX. I know its old and I cant really just honda by it, but the difference in sitting in the cloth seats and kinda boring interior and then sitting in the black leather seats of the jetta with a more refined looking interior seemed huge. Are there any other cars similar to the jetta offering as nice of an interior with added reliablity? Or should I just forget the feeling of the jetta and just go with like a 2000 civic? Is it possible to get leather in a civic? That probebly be a perfect combo but i dont think its possible. Should I stick with the jetta? Thanks for your help!
    If you really want leather in a civic, have it installed. $800 or so will get you better leather than any factory jetta.
  • chmeeeechmeeee Member Posts: 327
    You will probably not find anything as good as the Jetta interior in the same price range, VW is known for having some of the nicest interiors outside of luxury cars. Add me to the list of no problems, with a TDI.
    you're right, it's not fair to compare a 92 accord to a new jetta. you think you would get excited over a 92 jetta with cloth seats? the current accord's interior ambiance is very nice.

civics and jettas compare in size only. if you're in the jetta's price range you should be comparing to likewise cars. you may want to try out the new mazda 6. the nearest comparison honda has to a jetta type vehicle would be the TSX.
  • d7socrd7socr Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2002 Jetta. I HATE IT. I had never been more excited to have a new car in my life. I traded in my 1999 Honda Civic to purchase it...WHAT A MISTAKE.
    Where to even being...within 1 month of owning the car, the front drivers side headlight blew. I had to take it to the dealer to replace it.
    About 2 weeks later, the front lisencse plate fell off the car...after searching the streets high and low (the dealer is the one that put it on in the first place), I took it to the dealer to have it put back on (leave it to VW...I go buy a standard plate kit to put it back on myself..they make the front screws smaller then the others, NOT STANDARD) I was not about to go and shop for the correct size at a hardware store, so what happens...I take it to the dealer and get a bill for $16.00 (don't worry, we didn't charge you for the parts, that was just labor charges....) YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME...IT TOOK $16.00 WORTH OF ARM MUSCLE TO TURN TO SCREWS!!
    6 months go by and all is well. Until my car starts making this extremely loud whistling noise. Loud enough that people are actually staring at me when I drive by. I take it to the deal AGAIN...and I am told that it appears that my oil pan cover was misfitted...but they will have to order the part...so, I get to play the waiting game. 2 weeks go by...now word...I call, it is on order, but no ETA at this point, I wait another week, call again, told the same...I am now waiting over a month and a half and get fed up at being stared at constantly...and I call Volkswagen of America and talk to the Consumer Advocate there...surprising, they could get the part it it would just take 3 days (should have done that from the beginning). So I take the car in...no loaner program available, no ride to work...nothing, so I have to inconveninece other people for VW not being able to do anything right. Finally the car is fixed...OR SO I THOUGHT. The owned the car for a little over a year now...and when either front wheel goes over a dip in the road (recessed manhole covers are perfect for this) or I am going a slow speeds, I hear a brief squeal from outside of the car. I again of course have to arrange rides to and from work and such and they call me and say they can't hear it. PEOPLE STARE!!!
    So I accept this and they tell me if it happens again come back...like it is sooooo convenient. I have to give them the benefit of the doubt...it is intermittent and those are the hardest things to identify. So it happens on and off but I am dealing with it. Tonight, I get in my car to come home from work, my front passanger side window locks up...and then continues to open and makes this horrible glass grinding noise. I try to put it up, more grinding like cracking glass. I am just driving to the dealer tomorrow and having them take care of this cause I have had enough, and they will be paying for the tint that I am sure is now ruined also. Will have to keep you updated on this.
    Sounds like you have really been through it with your VW. Some owners are pretty unlucky with them, others are not.

The glass grinding thing is the window regulator. Happend to me in a Golf loaner I had once. I don't know how they fixed it, of course, as I didn't care because it wasn't my car.

Best of luck with getting the car running right, and keep us updated.
    I had my Jetta up to 120 once, and the engine was running at 4000rpms. Not too high I didn't think, and the engine just became kinda noticeable at that point. I think the gearing differed greatly between the 01 and 02 models though, as we have talked about before. Of course, mine was the Tiptronic and you had the stick shift, so that could be it.
  • AnakinAnakin Member Posts: 410
    It sounds to me like your problems to complaints ratio is a bit skewed in favor of the complaints.

A headlight bulb? Oh, how extreme! You had to take the car to the dealership for this?

Dealership charged you to put in some screws? (duh) You don't say! Dealerships will charge you for anything and everything possible. It's how they make money.

The whistling noise is annoying, yeah. It's not VW's fault the dealer doesn't offer loaners. That varies by dealer.

Are there any other dealerships in the area you can try? Often times, the dealership service can make all the difference. I bought my car from a nearby dealership, but I take my car to a dealer who is 15 miles away because they have excellent service.
  • hoodornamenthoodornament Member Posts: 114
    As far as your "squealing" noise from your front end, it may be related to a problem I had with my 2k2 passat. There was some bolt or something that was loose (after 1k miles). Whenever my car would hit a bump or have to flex vertically it would squeak from the driver side wheel-well and annoy the #$#@ out of me. The dealer was able to fix this and it hasnt happened since (32k miles now). Maybe its the same thing? Bummer about your problems, I would agree that the dealer you choose could mean the difference between joy with your car and total frustration, is there another dealer in your area?
    a 2000 Civic might be okay. just don't get a 2k1 or newer. my 2001 Civic was awful. the 2000 is the older model, so you might be okay reliability wise. of course, the interior in that car is awful. no black steering wheel in a 2000. no silver door handles. leather in a Civic would be like leather in a Focus - strange :)

if you want a car similiar in size to Jetta/Civic, but are not into buying what feels good to you, what about a Sentra SE? interior is better than Civic, and Nissan is viewed as a step above VW with regard to reliability to some people and in magazines. not a bad little car - the engine will run forever - no timing belt to replace too!
  • cards28cards28 Member Posts: 145
    Sometime back the conversation was about, what was the best product to use for cleaning the dash board. Some one said, don't use Armorall, can't remember why you shouldn't use it, though. My dash needs cleaning and I just want to use the right product. And also, the leather interior.

The best way to clean it is use a damp (with car wash soap) 100% cotton toweling and wipe it away with damp (water)100% cotton toweling till you decide the treatment you wish to use.

I use #40 Meguairs rubber and vinyl cleaner rejuvenator and or the Zaino leather stuff or the plastic rubber vinyl product. The key is not to use silicone to clean the vinyl. Also silicone is BAD for the MAF if you should inadvertently put it there or if it gets sucked up there. So again to be safe keep the silicone away.
  • yettibuttyettibutt Member Posts: 98
    1)
  • yettibuttyettibutt Member Posts: 98
    2000 Jetta GL, 2.0L 4

1)Does my Jetta have a timing belt?

2)If so, when does it need to be changed?

the owners manual doesn't mention it, it only mentions timing belt when refering to the 1.9L TDI motor. I would assume that since it isn't discussed for the 2.0L, that I don't need to worry about it.
    1. Yes, your 2.0 Jetta has a timing belt.

2. Not quite, see http://www.vw.com/SP/MaintSchedule.jsp for the definitive word.

As I read it, you have to check the belts and R/R the timing belt tensioner at 40/80k intervals. So at 40,000 and 80,000 miles if the belts are out of specification you SHOULD replace them, BUT for sure R/R the timing belt tensioner.
    why wouldn't you take your new car to the dealer for a new headlight bulb? it's covered under the warranty. maybe it should be duh to you?

your comment about problems to complaints ratio is way off base. it's bad enough that a new car would have such problems but how the dealership dealt with the problems is even worse.

i agree some of the anger should be directed at the dealer but it's WV who built the problematic car in the first place.