Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    The chip can and has voided warranty for owners of chipped cars. VWoA has refused to repair blown turbos, blown motors, and clutches and transmissions due owners having their ECU's chipped. VWoA has in some situtions blamed the chips because they alter the normal operating parameters of the engine. Everyone always brings up the warranty act and says it is illegal for VW to do this, that they must prove that the chip caused the failure, yet every instance I know of that reached arbitration has been won by VWoA. There are a number of parts that will never be affected by chip and these of course would have to be covered by VWoA. One specific person I know of removed the chip every time they went to dealership and they had a turbo and engine failure and VWoA refused to pay for repairs because VW said ECU had been tampered with because of evidence of scratches and sealant around the ECU.
    The odds of having an engine problem with the chip are increased over stock.
    I am not saying that you should not chip your car, just that you should know the possible (if improbable) consequences.
    Yeah, I know, the chiptuners all say that there has never been a problem, but what would you say if you were selling the chip?
  • mellismellis Posts: 150
    I understand what you are saying, but please show me documented evidence of these problems due to a chip. Remember, the 1.8T in the Audi TT makes 185 and 222hp. Same engine.

I do not rely on the chip makers. I have talked with dozens of users of the different chips. Go to www.vwvortex.com or www.audiworld.com. Folks there are not shy about problems and yet there are no chip related failures.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    I look at Vortex almost daily as well as other sites. Look harder, there are chip related failures. When you are there do a search on 1.8t and chips and warranty and then tell me why someone buys a second ECU to avoid having the dealer know that the car is chipped. I am sure if you are active in the VW community you know someone who has had problems with chip and warranty.
    Are you willing to pay for problems that people may have if they chip their car? If not, tell both the risks and rewards.
    The only failures I find are human related failures once chipped, ie someone dumping the clutch repeatedly or driving on boost hard and then not doing a cool-down. These are not chip problems but user problem from abuse. Those should not be covered I agree.

I am not telling anyone to chip, just presenting the option. Some dealers are not "chip friendly" thus the 2nd ECU. Of course there is risk. There is risk in getting out of bed in the morning.

The service mgr at my dealership has a chipped GTI so there is no problem.
  • Anybody ever have the problem when you turn the car on, the Temp/milage/mpg/mph gauge does not always light up? I have the 2001GLX loaded,17in wheels, and, sport suspension. Great ride but I think this is my first problem. If I turn the car off then on a second time, it works. Anybody have this problem?
  • roninjoutenroninjouten Posts: 201
    The Wolfsburg, while a fun and economical package, is turning out to be a royal pain in my rear. I drove a Wolfsburg and it was a load of fun. I even had a dealer offering me a packed one for 20,300. Not bad. Two niggling details...the interior and the financing rates (6.95% is extremely high).

I just can't live without leather. I've priced a Jetta with the leather and sports package and it's about $800 more assuming I could secure another deal $400 over invoice (still too much but oh well). Match that with the stellar financing on 48 months (3.9) and I'd end up spending less on a Jetta with leather than I would a Wolfsburg. But nobody can find a leather lined Jetta with a 1.8T and 5 speed. Argh!
  • Does the 16 & or 17 inch wheel option include axle or gearbox ratio(s) changes to adjust for the increased wheel size?
  • eclipsegseclipsegs Posts: 66
    In case you have not read it yet....

The 1.8T in the Golf and Jetta will see horsepower increased from 150hp stock to 180hp but will be advertised as 170hp so as not to upset certain sister companies. The 170hp version of the 1.8T is based on the newer 150hp ULEV version of the 1.8T engine that was a running change on 2001 models. In addition to new variable cam timing, new injectors, new catalytic converter and new ECU tuning that brought the 2001 version of the 150hp 1.8T up to ULEV pollution standards, the 2002 uses even further revised ECU tuning to modify turbo wastegate frequencies (boost levels) and additional fuel delivery to achieve the new 170hp rating. A new tiptronic five-speed automatic transmission will also be available for 2002 in the 1.8T Jetta and Golf models.

After a long wait for enthusiasts, the 174hp 12v VR6 will finally be replaced with a newer 201hp 24v VR6 that has been available in Europe for over a year now. All 24v VR6 models will come equipped with a new six-speed manual transmissions or a new tiptronic five-speed automatic transmission. Whereas 24v VR6 models in Europe come standard with 4motion four-wheel-drive, VR6 models destined for our shores will only be available in front wheel drive (albeit with less weight as well). The 24v VR6 and six-speed transmission will be a delayed introduction at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit January 2002 and available in dealers 1st quarter 2002.

GTI aficionados will quietly rejoice at new repositioning changes in the GTI lineup for 2002. Gone is the GLX version of the GTI, shedding extra weight and extra options. All GTI models will be GLS trim level with either the new 170hp 1.8T (five-speed manual or five-speed tiptronic) or the new 201hp 24v VR6 with six-speed manual. 1.8T models come standard with 16" alloys (17" alloys optional) and VR6 models standard with 17" alloys. The sunroof is no longer standard equipment, but can be ordered as part of an option package thus reducing base pricing and weight further. Newly designed sport seats, revised sport suspension, standard in-dash CD player and more round out the package. New pricing is expected to be lower than 2001 models due to the equipment changes, particularly the VR6 model which is expected to be offered for less than $22,000.
    Not to beat a dead horse, but if you are willing to spend $400 on a GIAC or APR chip you can have 204HP now on the running change 01 engine.

Note that all VW is doing for 02 is using a slightly revised ECU chip. The 1.8T using one of the aftermarket chips gets the 204HP.

Of course if you have worries about the warantee issues with an aftermarket chip then wait for 02.
  • hcornerhcorner Posts: 24
    Yes, many still buy cassette players cause they have cassette tapes. Who buys this tapes, well, the music nut who wants to put all their favourite songs on mix tapes.

Forget about burning it on a CD, cause you'll soon enter the wonderful world of skips. Skip, skip, skip, any little scratch and skip, skip, skip. That's why Napster doesn't really pose a real threat because, unlike the commercially press CDs with 16 protective layers, they have zero layers of protection.

Also, mp3s and such aren't at the same quality as regular CDs and even CDs are as good as vinyl (though new technology promises to surpass vinyl soon, using a blue laser with two layers of data, rather then a red laser and one layer of data.)

Now I bet that was more info then most of people here wanted to know. Am I right?
  • roninjoutenroninjouten Posts: 201
    I dunno what kinda cheap CD players are out there but I've got several hundred CDs and about 30 burned CDs...not one skips. The only skip I hear in my current car comes about if I hit one heck of a serious pothole.

Cassettes...don't own a single one. In 1991 my favorite tape at the time wore out. At that point I converted to CD and sold off my tapes (doing the same with hellisly unstable VHS to DVD right now). Hasn't happened since. All of my CDs from that point until today work like new.

BTW, you can, if you honestly believe scratches make a difference buy a product to fill in scratches. There is no such product to fix a warped tape.
  • gggplayagggplaya Posts: 2
    I have no clue what your talking about with scratches in cd-r's. I own a 12x cd burner and i can make a cd in 6 mins. I had all my cd's stolen in my car once so i only use cd-r's in there now. The only time i get a skip is if i hit a pothole or railroad tracks.It only lasts a second.I rarely ever get skips.
    Your a load of crap and heresay. I bet you don't even own a cd-r to talk with. I download a ton of music from napster and as long as they are 128 bitrate quality, they will sound identical to your ears to a regular cd. I've got like 10 nice mixed cd's to listen to on my long trips. I even made a love mix for my girlfriend. It only takes me 10 mins to make a mix, that's including pointing and clicking on songs i want on it. It'll take you a year to make a crappy tape and then another year when that tape wears out.I treat my cd-r's like crap and i'm surprised they don't skip. (I use memorex cd-r's.)I just toss them in my backseat or in my center storage hole. So unless you've tried it, don't knock it. I have gotten rid of all my tapes because i saw the light.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    let's calm down a bit - you can certainly express your opinions, but please do so without bashing other posters. The Town Hall Terms of Use (see link in upper left) requires respectful and civil disagreement.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • eclipsegseclipsegs Posts: 66
    Mellis, I hear ya. Though I'm more interested in the VR6 power. After feeling the torque and smoothness of the engine, I was hooked and 201 HP is not bad at all.
  • fischdafischda Posts: 272
    You're a tool! Oops, sorry, Pat Host. I withdraw that remark.
  • gggplayagggplaya Posts: 2
    Sorry to be so overly mean. I have this uncle who just always goes on about stuff and doesn't really have anything to back it up. He always thinks he's right. I just hate it when people blabber on and don't really know what they're talking about.SOrry to offend
  • hcornerhcorner Posts: 24
    >I dunno what kinda cheap CD players are out there but I've got several hundred CDs and about 30 burned CDs...not one skips.

Roninjouten, the burned CDs don't have any scratches, that's why. Scratch the burned and commercial press CDs and the burned ones will scratch.

>BTW, you can, if you honestly believe scratches make a difference buy a product to fill in scratches. There is no such product to fix a warped tape.

Good point.

>I have no clue what your talking about with scratches in cd-r's. I own a 12x cd burner and i can make a cd in 6 mins. I had all my cd's stolen in my car once so i only use cd-r's in there now. The only time i get a skip is if i hit a pothole or railroad tracks.It only lasts a second.I rarely ever get skips.

gggplaya, 6 mins to make a CD? That is a lot faster then putting a one hour tape together.

>Your a load of crap and heresay.

I am the type of person who listens to others, so, yes, if I share with you their experiences, it is hearsay. As well as if I say vinyl is still better then conventional CDs, that is hearsay too cause I don't own one vinyl record.

>I bet you don't even own a cd-r to talk with.

I have friends who do and they have let me listen to their burned CDs.

>I download a ton of music from napster and as long as they are 128 bitrate quality, they will sound identical to your ears to a regular cd.

You've got to develop an a ear for music quality. Try playing a song you bought at a high volume level on your CD player and then download it off the net, burn that and play it at the same level. I promise you, you'll hear a difference.

Though the burnt CD is still better then the tape.

>It'll take you a year to make a crappy tape and then another year when that tape wears out.

I agree cd-rs have advantages over tapes.

>I treat my cd-r's like crap and i'm surprised they don't skip. (I use memorex cd-r's.)I just toss them in my backseat or in my center storage hole.

Take your car key and scratch them up. Putting 16 layers of protection on a CD isn't just a lot of bells and whistles.

Though, with hope, the quality will get better and better and their will be more protection against skipping and everyone will own a CD-R recorder, even me.

The idea of creating mix CDs in a short period of time is very appealing to me, it's got me thinking, how much does it cost for a good portable CD player that has an adapter for car listening?

P.S. And thanks Pat for saying something, it removed the need for me to type my response in an insulting tone. Cause gggplaya would regret it, that's all I'm going to say.

;)
  • bluejettabluejetta Posts: 272
    So...Anyone here have a Jetta? ;-)
  • 1.8t...2001 5 spd, leather, s'roof...no monsoon, but added a Panasonic 8 CD Chgr (from Crutchfield). I shopped 8 dealers from Charlotte, to Greensboro to Durham to Raleigh....bought in Raleigh. I could not be happier! I've been a Toyota guy for yrs. so this was a GIANT step to go to German/Mexican. + Baltic Green is such a nice color! Good luck to all!
    BaronsDaddy
  • What color leather, which wheel and suspension packages, and did you get the Multi useful steering wheel? Inquiring mind's want to know.
    P.S. Glad there is another BalticJetta out there!