Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    I would first check to see if someone inadvertently turned on the courtesy lights by
    your sunroof switch...Happens here all the time...Or the lighted
    vanity mirrors...
  • beachboy2beachboy2 Member Posts: 8
    Is there any optional package for the GLS VR6 that includes the wood trim? I know it's on the GLX, but wonder if I can get it with the GLS. How can I get the wood trim for the GLS VR6 and approximately how much it costs.

Thanks
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    I checked everything, nothing was on. My husband was the last one to drive the car and he always makes sure everything is off. Also I would have been able to see the courtesy lights on from the kitchen window, the car is just outside that window. The other strange part in this that I forgot to mention is that when I opened the door of the car the interior lights came on and then when I turned the key all the dash lights came on and so did the radio. Everything seemed normal until I got the *click* when I turned the key to the start position. It still baffles me. Even after a long drive the battery seems weak the next time I start it. If I leave the car without driving it for more than a day the battery is dead.
    Try the Yellow Pages under something that deals with Auto Accessories or Interiors. Or ask your
    Dealer who does that type of work for them...

Most dealerships have a couple of firms that they
    use for this type of add on...
    It would seem that if the Dash Lights came on...
    without you turning on the Head Lights, that they
    must have Been on...No? In addition, the Courtesy
    Lights are supposed to come on, but I have no
    explaination about the radio...spooky.

I would suggest that you get in to your Dealer for
    a look....If the battery isn't getting a good
    charge after a long drive it could be a bad alternator...
  • 2001jetta2001jetta Member Posts: 10
    I bought my 2001 1.8T about 4 weeks ago on a ZERO down lease and payments are $323 a month. The terms were for 48 months and 15000 per year. I did have to pay about $450 for plates and 1 months payment. I paid about $20380.

This is the best car I have ever owned. I am getting 30-34 mpg. I already have 2700 miles in 4 weeks, This is a bit excessive, normally I average about 1200 a month. I guess this car is just too much fun to drive.
  • flacaflaca Member Posts: 168
    What options do you have? Luxury Package? Leather? Auto or manual? Monsoon? etc? Just curious.
  • njjettaownernjjettaowner Member Posts: 17
    My dealer offered to sell me and you can also chose diferent color woods about 300 i think I turn him down..
    I have vr6 automatic sports luxury, leather, blue lagoon, 17inch rims all for 23200
    By dash lights I meant the ones that light up when you turn the key on. The headlights were off, the daytime running lamps came on like normal. Its just weird. I am beginning to think I am making the right decision about selling the car in October. Then I will buy a $10,000 used SUV and be done with it. I am sick of car payments and the quirks of new cars. BTW, my car only has 3300 miles on it which is why I am irritated that it is having a problem.
    Personally, I think you are being a little bit
    hasty...Have you ever seen the Service Dept. about this problem? You have had this new Jetta
    for, what 3 months? This is why every manufacturer, MBZ, Porsche, BMW, VW, have Warranties...to fix mechanical quirks or problems
    with new cars.

If you are *sick of car payments* after this brief period of time; maybe something else is afoot?
  • secretariat73secretariat73 Member Posts: 47
    We have a 2000 Jetta XLS automatic, with 19k miles. A few weeks ago, a problem arose with the shifter; it would take 7-10 times to get the car out of "park", it was clearly something very strong, as brute strength still won't shift the car, and the problem is worse when the car is cold. We have been to the dealer for this problem 3 times, and each time the problem has lessened, but came back. They have now replaced most of the parts in the shifter console (or so I've been told), and last time was some expensive repair that VW would not authorize until they tried "everything else".

It seems illogical that the problem would come and go like this. You'd figure the repairs would either have no effect, or completely work. Does anyone know what the problem might be? Thanks,
    -Steven-
  • roninjoutenroninjouten Member Posts: 201
    I'm running into a major obstacle on this. The Autobytel dealer called yesterday with a GLX 5 speed for 23,300 (400 over invoice)...not 17 inchers though (extra $500 for those beauties). Unfortunately for him and me, I don't want the blasted GLX (no use for wood trim or power seats)...but rather the the GLS VR6 with Leather, Sport Pckg and 5 speed. The Autobytel dealer told me such a car, IF he could get one would cost me 22k. This outfitting is proving to be nigh impossible to secure in Southern California.

I'm rather dismayed at this point. Every other non-Autobytel dealer seems intent on putting me in the GLX. Worst of all, they're all using the same lame pressure techniques ("This car will be worth more when you sell it" - as if that will ease the pain of wasting 2k so that I get $500 more when I resell the car in 6 or 7 years).

I started to ask about a 1.8T with Leather and Sport Pckg...they kept countering with, "Have you seen the wolfsberg?" Um..yes...it doesn't have leather or the sport package! It's like they don't listen to the words coming from my mouth.

VW's site and Carsdirect and even dealers admit that one SHOULD be able to secure a Jetta GLS VR6 with 5 speed, leather package and sports package - ideally at the Autobytel price of 22,063.. Ha, ha, ha, good luck finding it...especially when dealers are keen to push the GLX or the Wolfie.

Considering egging the nearest VW dealership at sundown. :(
    roninjouten......sounds like my experience while trying to find a TDI, the VW dealer near me said that I was dreaming. Since there are only 2 VW dealers in the state of Alaska that made it even harder. I finally gave up and bought a 1.8T.

vwguild........yes I am sick of car payments which is the main reason for wanting to sell the Jetta. I am taking it in to the dealer in the morning, maybe they know what's wrong with it. I talked to the service advisor last week and he said that they have been having a lot of battery problems with the 01 Jettas. Maybe they have found a cure, I hope so since I live 26 miles from the nearest town and 85 miles from the dealer. Living in the middle of nowhere makes having a car with battery problems that much worse.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I went and looked at a used Jetta back in February before I bought my new 2001 Protege. I have liked the Jettas since they came out and was really thinking about getting one. Well, this particular one was a used 1999 GLX loaded to the max with 22.5K on it for a list of $16,349 on the net. I got there, ready to commit to buying, and they said it was a misprint. They were very rude about it too, not willing to offer any room because of their mistake. It was a $4000 mistake too, because the car was really $19,995. It sat there for that price, when I could have gone and gotten a brand new Jetta GLX for like $24,000.

I really was going to get a Jetta, but some of the small problems (like ones listed above) worry me, so I did not.
    I read in the manual that for a 2.0L engine that oil changes should be performed at 5,000 - 10,000 and then at 20,000. You mean it can go 10,000 miles between oil changes? I don't want to mess up this car. What have you Jetta owners done? What if I perform oil changes at a shorter interval? Is this Ok?
  • jewlzjewlz Member Posts: 1
    hi i am soon to get my license and would like to now from you jetta owners if they are worth it. i have loved jettas for a long time and heard a lot of good things about them. i love their sleek design (1999 or newer) and would love to buy one when i get my license which is in less than a year. are they worth buying and what kind of options do u think i would want to have on it? i would love if anyone would email some responses. my email is jewlz_182@hotmail.com thank you. also if anyone is selling i'll be looking.
  • dparesdpares Member Posts: 29
    I also thought I made a mistake purchasing the Civic Ex coup and tallked about selling it soon after buying it. If I had gotten it with the 5 speed my view might have changed but I got the auto..slow boring acceleration.. although what a great looking car..

one of the problems has been a persistent creaking coming from the back... I thought about trading it in for a Jetta but when reading in here of reliability problems and worse yet..rattles, it kinda turning me off to the car.
    Those are part of your New Car Waranty Pkg. You
    are responsible for an Oil Change & Fluid Check
    at 15K...

Actual service intervals are every 5K or 6 months
    Whichever comes first.

It is also important to remember that Tire Rotations are included with your 10K & 20K services, but you are responsible for them at 5K
    and 15K...
  • mellismellis Member Posts: 150
    The 2001 Jetta Wolfsburg DOES have the Sport package standard. No leather though.

Mark
    According to Edmunds the Wolfie comes with 16's on front and 15's on the back? Hope that's a typo. Weird. Anyway, it lacks leather and from what I've read it does not come with the same sport suspension as GLS and GLX cars. I could be wrong there.

I've found a dealer at this point who is claiming to offer me the car at 200 over invoice. But his invoice price includes VW Association fees of $200, Floorplan Reserver Interest of 95, Port fees of $25. It's almost like he's making stuff up. Plus he tacked on a Monsoon ($300 wasted dollars considering one must get an aftermarket stereo put in a Jetta). BTW, why do German companies still sell cars with cassette players? Who owns cassettes? Anyway, I'm still waiting for him to answer what these extraneous "invoice" fees are. Seems once I shave those off and the monsoon, I should be able to order my car for under 22k.
  • bluejettabluejetta Member Posts: 272
    Flaca: Yes, you are correct on that. The schedule for the 2.0 and the TDI are the same. 10,000 miles between oil changes (except the first two). Of course, you can change your oil whenever you want, but with the newer oil formulas and cleaner burning engines, 10,000 miles is not out of line. I know that some of the guys on Vortex have put their oil to the test (lab tests) and it's still well within specs after 10K miles.

-Jim
    http://www.jettaownersclub.org
    http://www.bluelagoonjetta.com
  • afryarafryar Member Posts: 50
    Are there any identifiers or anything under the hood tp differentiate the Sport Suspension from the regular suspension? How do I know it's there? (aside from driving one of each)
    Which brand of oil works best?
  • seanblueseanblue Member Posts: 17
    Flaca,

A friend advised me that the Castrol 5w30 Synthetic oil is the best fot the TDI & 1.8T. Since the viscocity of the oil will last and lubricate under cold and extreme hot conditions.
  • fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    Wait a minute, man. I've been away for a week, and come back to find that you, a long time reader and poster to this topic thread, have bought a 2001 Protoge???

I thought you were terribly upside down on a '99 Protoge that was quickly losing resale value? So what did you do - trade in the '99? Sell it yourself? Don't tell me you leased!! I think all a long you were trying to convince yourself that Jetta's aren't worth the money. Well, the '01 Protoge is a great car - do they have a topis for that one?
    Use any of the top grade synthetics. I use Mobil 1. I was sold on it after I saw it being poured into Al Unser's Indy car a few years ago. The exact bottle that anyone could buy off the store shelves.

-Jim
    http://www.jettaownersclub.org
    http://www.bluelagoonjetta.com
    The Wolfie has 16" on all four wheels. I know that for sure as I have one sitting in the garage.

Check vw.com - the sport package on the the Wolfie is the same as the other models.

FYI, I got my car for $20,400 with moonroof, Monsoon, and cold weather pkg.
    Sounds like a good deal. I just don't think I want to do without Leather and 17 inch wheels. By my estimates the Autobytel guy would sell me a Wolfsburg with moonroof and cold weather package for about 19800. Which is fine, but I'm not sure I want to put up with driving a car that has cloth again. It's so hot all the time...my family has leather and I love using their cars because the seats always feel cool to the touch.

The other point...the wheels. I would have to spend another $2000 to get 17s.

BTW, did you get a lowering kit? I only ask because the Jetta sits so high that it seems to almost demand some kind of lowering kit.
    Unfortunately there were about seven different scratches in the paint a few pretty long so they have to bring it to the body shop for some work.Even though it looks great, and there barely noticable but its brand new and i want it perfect when i buy it so I signed a they owe me thing which listed what they had to do to fix it drivers door scratch back bumper front bumper left and right front and back quater panels you thing i should ask for a free cd changer for my troubles
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I ended up trading in the 1999 Protege, as well as the 1993 Bonneville I inherited from my mother's passing, and got a 2001 Protege. I went to 3 different VW dealers to look at Jettas and Golfs, and they were all real rude to me. Also, I couldn't get past the short warranty and lack of rear seat room compared to the Protege. So I got another, and love it! :) Maybe a Jetta or Golf next time...
  • aidylaidyl Member Posts: 1
    I bought a Wolfburg two weeks ago. I have only 430 miles on it. I paid $20,740.00 (Black/Beige with moon-roof,16-inch, monsoon, side curtain, cruise contol, tag, taxes, and of course it included the dealer's profit. They offered me the extended warranty (7 years/100) for 868. I will buy it later (before 3,000 miles). I love the car. Payments are $334.00/monthly. My credit union financed 17,000 at 6.49% for 60 months. I do not have a repayment penalty, So I can pay off at anytime(maybe 48 months. In this area (DC/VIRGINIA) it is considered a good deal. Dirt, dust, grime, and bird #$% will stick to any car no matter what the color is.
    No lower kit yet. Doubt I will do that since I live in Maine and ground clearance is an issue in the winter. :)

I am getting the GIAC ECU chip next week. 200 HP & 240 lb/ft of torque here I come.
    If you have been given a *Due Bill* to have the
    scratches buffed out and the car completely detailed for you as well as a full tank of gas,
    we do that as a matter of course, I think the
    Store has fufilled their obligations...I don't
    think a *free* CD Changer is going to happen...Don't know if you are kidding or not, but
    if you have not taken delivery of car; I don't see
    any *troubles* to be compensated for...IMHO...

Enjoy your ride!!!!
    Won't that chip void your warranty?
    No, that is a common misconception. The chip itself will void nothing. Now if the turbo blows and it can be traced to the chip then yes they will deny the claim on the turbo. But nothing else is effected.

Check out www.vwvortex.com for 100s of people that have chipped their 1.8t without a failure.
  • sharttshartt Member Posts: 1
    I own a '00 gls vr6 jetta. I have looked around the car and searched on the internet and I still cannot figure out *exactly* what kind of engine I have. How do I find this out?

Thanks
    You have the VW 6 cyl engine.
  • balticjetta18tbalticjetta18t Member Posts: 146
    The maintenance log booklet should have a label inside of the cover with a bunch of factory option codes. Look @ the one that says "ENG:", then you can research that on vortex or the dealer or VW info 800# for the exact motor you do have.
    Peter Savalle, a Volkswagen Guild Member, took a trip to the plant down in Puebla. Check out his observations and a few photos over at: http://www.geocities.com/jettaownersclub

-Jim

• moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    The chip can and has voided warranty for owners of chipped cars. VWoA has refused to repair blown turbos, blown motors, and clutches and transmissions due owners having their ECU's chipped. VWoA has in some situtions blamed the chips because they alter the normal operating parameters of the engine. Everyone always brings up the warranty act and says it is illegal for VW to do this, that they must prove that the chip caused the failure, yet every instance I know of that reached arbitration has been won by VWoA. There are a number of parts that will never be affected by chip and these of course would have to be covered by VWoA. One specific person I know of removed the chip every time they went to dealership and they had a turbo and engine failure and VWoA refused to pay for repairs because VW said ECU had been tampered with because of evidence of scratches and sealant around the ECU.
    The odds of having an engine problem with the chip are increased over stock.
    I am not saying that you should not chip your car, just that you should know the possible (if improbable) consequences.
    Yeah, I know, the chiptuners all say that there has never been a problem, but what would you say if you were selling the chip?
    I understand what you are saying, but please show me documented evidence of these problems due to a chip. Remember, the 1.8T in the Audi TT makes 185 and 222hp. Same engine.

I do not rely on the chip makers. I have talked with dozens of users of the different chips. Go to www.vwvortex.com or www.audiworld.com. Folks there are not shy about problems and yet there are no chip related failures.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    I look at Vortex almost daily as well as other sites. Look harder, there are chip related failures. When you are there do a search on 1.8t and chips and warranty and then tell me why someone buys a second ECU to avoid having the dealer know that the car is chipped. I am sure if you are active in the VW community you know someone who has had problems with chip and warranty.
    Are you willing to pay for problems that people may have if they chip their car? If not, tell both the risks and rewards.
    The only failures I find are human related failures once chipped, ie someone dumping the clutch repeatedly or driving on boost hard and then not doing a cool-down. These are not chip problems but user problem from abuse. Those should not be covered I agree.

I am not telling anyone to chip, just presenting the option. Some dealers are not "chip friendly" thus the 2nd ECU. Of course there is risk. There is risk in getting out of bed in the morning.

The service mgr at my dealership has a chipped GTI so there is no problem.
  • jazzpantsjazzpants Member Posts: 8
    Anybody ever have the problem when you turn the car on, the Temp/milage/mpg/mph gauge does not always light up? I have the 2001GLX loaded,17in wheels, and, sport suspension. Great ride but I think this is my first problem. If I turn the car off then on a second time, it works. Anybody have this problem?
    The Wolfsburg, while a fun and economical package, is turning out to be a royal pain in my rear. I drove a Wolfsburg and it was a load of fun. I even had a dealer offering me a packed one for 20,300. Not bad. Two niggling details...the interior and the financing rates (6.95% is extremely high).

I just can't live without leather. I've priced a Jetta with the leather and sports package and it's about $800 more assuming I could secure another deal $400 over invoice (still too much but oh well). Match that with the stellar financing on 48 months (3.9) and I'd end up spending less on a Jetta with leather than I would a Wolfsburg. But nobody can find a leather lined Jetta with a 1.8T and 5 speed. Argh!
  • sschmitz1sschmitz1 Member Posts: 2
    Does the 16 & or 17 inch wheel option include axle or gearbox ratio(s) changes to adjust for the increased wheel size?
  • eclipsegseclipsegs Member Posts: 66
    In case you have not read it yet....

The 1.8T in the Golf and Jetta will see horsepower increased from 150hp stock to 180hp but will be advertised as 170hp so as not to upset certain sister companies. The 170hp version of the 1.8T is based on the newer 150hp ULEV version of the 1.8T engine that was a running change on 2001 models. In addition to new variable cam timing, new injectors, new catalytic converter and new ECU tuning that brought the 2001 version of the 150hp 1.8T up to ULEV pollution standards, the 2002 uses even further revised ECU tuning to modify turbo wastegate frequencies (boost levels) and additional fuel delivery to achieve the new 170hp rating. A new tiptronic five-speed automatic transmission will also be available for 2002 in the 1.8T Jetta and Golf models.

After a long wait for enthusiasts, the 174hp 12v VR6 will finally be replaced with a newer 201hp 24v VR6 that has been available in Europe for over a year now. All 24v VR6 models will come equipped with a new six-speed manual transmissions or a new tiptronic five-speed automatic transmission. Whereas 24v VR6 models in Europe come standard with 4motion four-wheel-drive, VR6 models destined for our shores will only be available in front wheel drive (albeit with less weight as well). The 24v VR6 and six-speed transmission will be a delayed introduction at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit January 2002 and available in dealers 1st quarter 2002.

GTI aficionados will quietly rejoice at new repositioning changes in the GTI lineup for 2002. Gone is the GLX version of the GTI, shedding extra weight and extra options. All GTI models will be GLS trim level with either the new 170hp 1.8T (five-speed manual or five-speed tiptronic) or the new 201hp 24v VR6 with six-speed manual. 1.8T models come standard with 16" alloys (17" alloys optional) and VR6 models standard with 17" alloys. The sunroof is no longer standard equipment, but can be ordered as part of an option package thus reducing base pricing and weight further. Newly designed sport seats, revised sport suspension, standard in-dash CD player and more round out the package. New pricing is expected to be lower than 2001 models due to the equipment changes, particularly the VR6 model which is expected to be offered for less than $22,000.
    Not to beat a dead horse, but if you are willing to spend $400 on a GIAC or APR chip you can have 204HP now on the running change 01 engine.

Note that all VW is doing for 02 is using a slightly revised ECU chip. The 1.8T using one of the aftermarket chips gets the 204HP.

Of course if you have worries about the warantee issues with an aftermarket chip then wait for 02.
  • hcornerhcorner Member Posts: 24
    Yes, many still buy cassette players cause they have cassette tapes. Who buys this tapes, well, the music nut who wants to put all their favourite songs on mix tapes.

Forget about burning it on a CD, cause you'll soon enter the wonderful world of skips. Skip, skip, skip, any little scratch and skip, skip, skip. That's why Napster doesn't really pose a real threat because, unlike the commercially press CDs with 16 protective layers, they have zero layers of protection.

Also, mp3s and such aren't at the same quality as regular CDs and even CDs are as good as vinyl (though new technology promises to surpass vinyl soon, using a blue laser with two layers of data, rather then a red laser and one layer of data.)

Now I bet that was more info then most of people here wanted to know. Am I right?