Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

1242243244245246248»

Comments

• jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    We have the new body style, so not sure if it the same thing we hear, it sure sounds like it is...we were told or read that that is the fuel pump.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Priming it for action, as it were? ;)
  • gforce211gforce211 Member Posts: 9
    I'm considering buying a 2000-2004 Jetta (no specific model) with a automatic tranny and was wondering which engine has a better track record as far as reliability? the 1.8T, the 2.0, or the VR6? I've test driven both the VR6 and the 1.8T and honestly I like both of them, although the 1.8 seemed to be somewhat smoother upon acceleration and I must admit I liked it when the turbo kicked in. But I've read SO many negative posts about this vehicle in general I'm still a bit hesitant about investing in a used one. I do love everything about this VW and I want one but I have serious reservations about it's future reliability. Also, I live in Minnesota so how will each of these engines handle really cold temps?

I look forward to the replies. Thanks in advance.
    I can tell you how the 2.0L handles cold temps in MN, as I recently bought a 2005 GL (the "old Jetta", not the New Jetta from 2005.5) with the 2.0 and AT, 47k miles on it. It handled the cold weather (down to -25 F actual temperature) just fine. Car started right up, and it ran fine (I let it warm up for about 30 seconds minimum just to let the fluids circulate in the morning). I did find the heater a little slow to warm up the car at those temperatures, slower than some of my other cars like a '04 Elantra and '07 T&C, but hey, it WAS -25 F. So no problems with the cold weather.

I have no experience with the VR6 or 1.8T, but I have heard that turbos require special care and maintenance, so the more you know about the ownership and maintenance history, the better.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    The word "reliability" in your question can have many different meanings.

If you are looking for lowest maintainance costs, the 2.0L is your choice. This engine is essentually the same as the very 1st watercooled VW (1981?) which has had many years of refinements. It is as good as an engine can get. Some of these tend to consume oil (NOT a problem if you keep the oil topped up.)

The VR6 is more engine than the vehicle really needs and is pretty expensive to maintain properly. It hangs down further than the other engines and is suseptible to getting clobbered by road-debris. You can lose all your oil and destroy the engine. It also requires synthetic oil!

The 1.8T (An Audi engine) Gained an unwelcome reputation for reliabilty when there was a rash of bad ignition-coils for a couple years. All of these were recalled and fixed. It offers the efficency of a small engine on the highway while the turbocharger gives it the power of a much larger engine when you want it. (synthetic oil too!))
    Thanks for the replies fellas....I appreciate it. I test a 1.8T with a auto this past Friday night and really like it. For being such a small engine I thought it propelled the Jetta with ease. It was smooth and acceleration was smooth and on tap when needed. For me I think the 1.8 is what I need (my daily commute to and from work is about 45 miles) because of the fuel economy. The turbo will come in handy when merging into traffic or passing. Does this 2.0 require synthetic oil like the other two? and do these engines require premium gas or will they run fine on reg unleaded?
    I know the 2.0 doesn't require either synthetic oil or premium gas. But since you are looking for maximum fuel economy, you might want to use synthetic anyway. With a 10k miles oil change interval as on the Jetta 2.0, it really doesn't cost much more to use synthetic.
    1.8t requires premium fuel and synthetic oil...you gotsta pay for that performance 8-)

In general ANY turbocharged engine should be fed with synthetic oil. This is because the turbocharger can cook the dyno-oil rendering it a useless goop. Keep in mind that the turbocharger bearings are spinning at over 10,000 RPM and are in the very hottest part of the exhaust sytem... these conditions requre the very best lubricating oil which will not break down.
    I spoke a service advisor at a local VW dealership the other day and was told that by this individual that the 1.8T does NOT require premium gas OR full synthetic oil. I did however see a pic of Jetta 1.8T fuel door in the open position and the decal on the inside of the door read "unleaded fuel PREMIUM only" or something to that effect. So now I'm confused, did this service adviser NOT know what they were talking about? I want to ensure I have years of use out of this car however if it's not recommended by VW then I don't really want to pay for premium gas if I don't have to.
    I don't have a 1.8T so I can't comment on that. If the car you want to buy still has the owner's manual (and it should), look in there as it gives the oil and gas recommendations for each engine. I don't have my manual handy right now.
    He is DEAD WRONG... It is obvious that "service advisor" you spoke to has not been keeping up to date with the published VW TSBs (Technical Service Bullitens) The mandate for synthetic oil came out several years AFTER some of the owners-manuals were printed.

Run very fast from that VW dealership and never look back. That is one reason VW has such a poor reputation for reliability.... because there are some dealerships which chose to ignore VW and "do their own thing". I cant tell you how many reports I have heard about VW dealerships putting the WRONG oil in a VW. They still CHARGE what VW suggests.... but use cheaper oil.

In the end, the vehicles do not last as long but that is OK with the dealership... they can always try to sell you a new car.

Personally, when I have to deal with a VW service department, I usually print out all the pertinent TSBs and present them to the service advisor when I get there. That way, they can see the document complete wtih VW logo at the top. Using this technique, I have saved over $1000 over the past several years. We have 3 VWs in the family, we have gotten for free;
    *)MAF (Mass Airflow sensor) which was "recalled"
    *)Catalytic converter (Federal Law covers it for 100,000 miles)
    *)New fenders (12year/unlimted milage warantee on body)
    *)SteeringWheeAngleSensor
    *)radio antenna (they tend to corrode internally and lose reception)
    *)Many other items...
  • lealsleals Member Posts: 2
    If you buy the jetta better get a second loan for all the repair and re-repair bills and transportation while your car is not getting repaired correctly.
    I said goodbye to my 2005 Jetta GL today. It was hit by someone running a red light last Monday, and I found out today the other driver's insurance company has totalled my car. The body shop said the damage was definitely repairable, and their estimate was actually much less than the estimate from the insurance company. I have a sneaking hunch the car was totalled because very little of it is damaged (front driver's side and driver's door mostly), while the rest of the car including the interior is pristine, including 3 nearly new tires. So they can probably get a lot of good salvage parts off it.

I bought it on 12/31/08, so I only had it for 3 months. I enjoyed driving it, as it absorbed the many pot holes on Twin Cities streets yet still handled well. And it was a nice size for fitting into tight parking places.

I am looking for a replacement now and have found 3-4 similar Jettas I'm going to check out over the next couple of days. One is a red GLS with moonroof and Monsoon audio. :) But I'll check out some other options too. Need to get something by this Saturday, as my work schedule doesn't allow for any car shopping for a week after that.
  • fleasedfleased Member Posts: 21
    My lease is almost up (one more payment) and the buyout is $10,230. The mileage is 38k and the car is in very good shape. I'm torn about buying it and turning it in to buy something new. I bought my last leased car which was a 2003 Passat. It had been perfect for the whole lease and when I bought it, things started to go awry and I've sunk a fair amount of money into it since. I'm reluctant to do the same with the Jetta, but I love the car and would hate to get rid of it if it were to end up being a more reliable model than the Passat. I know that there's no way of knowing in advance, but thought I'd ask what the consensus seems to be on the 2005 Jetta as far as reliability issues are concerned. I've been looking at the the new Honda Civic and Hyundai Sonata, but I'd be lucky to get away with 18k buying either of those cars. Any words of wisdom for me on my dilemma? (Other than not leasing again, I mean!)
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    ...the buyout is $10,230...I've been looking at the the new Honda Civic and Hyundai Sonata, but I'd be lucky to get away with 18k buying either of those cars.

I'd say it would most likely take quite a while for the Jetta to require $8000 in repairs, so, as is usually the case, from a financial standpoint, keeping the car would be the better option.

I think the 2005 Jetta 2.5 has been average for reliability, according to consumer reports. We are keeping ours, even though it has needed a few repairs under the warranty. We have about 30K mi and right now I could get a no deductible extended warranty to cover the next 4 years and up to 80K mi for less than $2000 from our credit union. So the warranty company obviously thinks average repair costs will be far less than your $8000 price differential over the next 4 years.

I did not buy the warranty, as I figured the worst case might be something like $5000 or so in repairs, so that would only be a $3K difference. For my financial situation it makes little sense to insure against a possible $3k (or even $5K loss).
    First, if you are serious about buying the car, call the leasing company (is it VW?) and see if they will negotiate on the buyout. I was able to do that with the last leased car that I purchased at lease end, a Nissan that was leased from NMAC. The buyout price isn't too bad, and I've seen Jettas of similar vintage at around $10-11k at local dealers, but there may be some room to negotiate. It would only take a few minutes of your time to find out.

Second, a 2009 Sonata GLS with AT can be had for around $15k + T&L depending on where you live, and I see Civic LXes with AT selling for under $16k + T&L on the Edmunds.com Prices Paid discussions. Anyway, the Elantra is more comparable to the Jetta and Civic in size, and those can be had for under $14k +T&L. So a new car wouldn't cost $18k, but it would be more than $10k. The benefit of the new car is of course you'd have no out-of-pocket costs except regular maintenance for at least 5 years or 60k miles (in the case of the Hyundais). However, neither the Sonata or Civic (or Elantra) will feel like your Jetta (I own a Rabbit and have driven the Civic, Sonata, and Elantra quite a bit so I feel qualified to make that comparison).
  • meefmeef Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me the next step I should take to troubleshoot my jetta with an overheating problem? It runs at proper temp when in idle but heats up when I drive it a block or two. I have replaced the thermostat, the two fans by the radiator run when its hot, i checked the small top hose going to the ball-shaped resevoir but no antifreeze comes out when idling and its cool. Now what? thanks in advance!
  • vwdawgvwdawg Member Posts: 162
    Hi all: Does anyone know how to determine whether a 2.0 engine is an "ABA" vs. an "AEG"? Can you get that from the VIN...or what? Thanks, vwdawg
    The factory waterpump with plastic impeller is known to "come apart". Once the impeller is not connected to the shaft.... it does not pump coolant like it should.

The waterpump is SUPPOSED to be replaced when timing-belt is replaced... I would expect your 2004 is close to needing this procedure anyway. The cost is the labor to get in there so you should replace EVERY MOVING PART that the timing-belt touches.

oh.... many folks have a BRASS IMPELLER waterpump installed when the TB is replaced... that is what I did.
    There is sticker on engine with the 3-letter engine designation. It is usually on the timing-belt cover.
  • vwdawgvwdawg Member Posts: 162
    Thanks, bpeebles, for the FYI...appreciate it! vwdawg
  • bew21bew21 Member Posts: 2
    My girl left her light on in her 2001 jetta from fri-tues while at the beach. when we got back the battery was completely dead and wouldnt start with a jump. i put the battery outta my truck into it and it started fine however it is running very very ruff at idle and will not accelerate until it has ran for a while. I can stomp the gas and it will only run at 2000 RPM. anybody have a clue? any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
    wont go over 2000 RPM... the computer has fallen into "limp mode".

The onboard computer "learns" as you drive and stores the 'learned' settings in memory so the engine is always finely tuned. If the battery was COMPLETELY dead, the "rememberd" settings are lost and one needs to drive for awhile so the relearning can occour.

Additionaly, I would expect the radio may be in "safe" mode too.

You may need to perform some of the other "basic settings" to re-teach the computer so it comes out of "limp mode".
  • bew21bew21 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks it is running better already. But i think i do need to perform some more settings bc she drove it to Atlanta yesterday which is a good 100-120 miles and then today it went into limp mode again in an intersection and after about 2 minutes she said it took off and drove right again. how do i make those setting changes?
  • lindsay1488lindsay1488 Member Posts: 1
    hey just wondering where I can get a cheap timing belt for a 03 jetta 1.8 gl turbo, and at low labor costs?
  • riceballriceball Member Posts: 2
    Anybody know what type of fuse it is that's in the engine compartment of an '02 Jetta GLS 1.8T? I need to replace one but I can't seem find any info on what kind of fuse it is. I've looked online at O'Reiley's and all they seem to carry (online) are the fuses that go inside the passenger compartment; those aren't the same type are they?
  • riceballriceball Member Posts: 2
    I dont know about "cheap" but you can get a "kit" which includes Timing-belt, pullies, tensionors, waterpump, bolts....etc

As for labor, you can call around and locate someone you trust for the price.

I am kinda skittish that you are looking for "cheap". Are you aware that if not done properly, your engine can become an instant boat-anchor. This also means if JUST the belt is replaced... you are risking big problems.

You should have KNOWN the timing-belt and all related components needed replacement - it is no surprise. You have had years to save $10 a month to pay for this needed service. Pony up and get it done properly....else suffer the consequences.