Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    You're starting to become a nuisance! Just perspective, I guess...

You've stated your observations about Jettas, so why hang around and pooh-pooh on people who post saying they want to buy one?
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Not sure what you mean, fischda. My last post to the group buy was encouraging. I'd never heard of a group buy on a car and wished him good luck. Good golly, lighten up.

BTW, it's not like I have some outsider's view of Jettas. I own one of the blasted things.
  • fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    ...a pooh-pooh statement. I am light! I'm just pointing out that it's not necessary for you to say things like that after you've already related your (bad) experiences.

See, you call your Jetta a "blasted thing." I call mine a beautiful thing. Besides, I still say your a very exacting car owner whose a real stickler for every detail - agree?
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Busted!!! Are you a car salesman for Toyota? Why did you post the same exact thing on the Kia Sephia board? Folks on the Jetta board, go check out the Kia Sephia board......"I am going to trade in my Kia Sephia for a reliable Toyota Camry..bla bla bla" Nice try dude.
    "I still say your a very exacting car owner whose a real stickler for every detail - agree? "

Most assuredly true. I have in my mind's eye the perfect car. The Jetta's about 75% of the way there. :)
  • kupper25kupper25 Member Posts: 30
    Would appreciate some feedback from everyone on what you think the best tire pressure is for the Michelin MXV4 195/65-R15's on the GLS. Thanks.
  • baronsdaddybaronsdaddy Member Posts: 20
    Fall is fast approaching. Let's all meet on the Blue Ridge Parkway near the VA/NC border (above Mount Airy, NC) for a "cruise the parkway."

I am so happy with the 18K miles of my Jetta Turbo. Sure it needs more rear seat room, but I own 2 Dachshunds, no kids, so I am content.

Sure Consumer Reports and the like all have adverse reliability about the Jetta based on their member surveys. I've been a long time subscriber to CR and have found it to be useful as an informed consumer. But hey, I analyze statistical data from a mental health perspective. And that too, can be skewed by a person's reasoning.
    Insomuchas OBJECTIVE reporting, CR is the "reigning queen" and YOUR subjectiveness of driving a Jetta should be carefully weighed into the equation when making a dicision on making the purchase (or lease).

Statistics can be used to prove anything. Thus being, a negative response is more apt to be reported than a positive one. Some people have problems with their Jettas, some don't (I don't). Some people have problems with their Lexus, some don't. These are all MANMADE devices.

IMHO, utilize YOUR intuition. If it feels right, then do it. If not, then move on to something else. Let no person dictate that to get a deal, you must sign today. That same deal will be there next week.

Good luck to all. Baronsdaddy@yahoo.com email me for more info.
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    I want to say again. I love this car. I have 01/1.8t 5 speed and just drive this thing. You cannot go slow. It is fun, fast and enjoyable to get to work. The attention to detail, power and style say is all. I am amazed at the amount of comments I get about the car. I am in Army Reserve and everyone wants to drive in my car to lunch to test it out. I have never had a Honda or Toyota that generated interest like that. This is a true drivers car and I have had zero defects!
    INKY
  • nwvwnwvw Member Posts: 88
    Check the inside of the fuel filler door.

-Jim
  • bluewolfbluewolf Member Posts: 101
    Okay, I've only got 3k miles on this car, but it's a blast to drive. It feels so solid, it's basically a GTI with a trunk (same seats, suspension, steering wheel). Only problems so far are the armrest latch that locks it closed broke off, so now the lid just lifts up. No big deal, and I plan to address it at the 5k service. Also, the drivers seat frame seems to creak a bit fore/aft and I've heard of this on Vortex, so I believe it's common. Neither problem is remotely major, but I'll mention them since it's under warranty.

If this VW continues to treat me right, I'll buy the wife a TDI Golf next year, and replace my Wolfsburg with a 24V VR6 GTI after that. Sofar, we love this car.
  • ficklefickle Member Posts: 98
    I'm thinking of purchasing a Jetta to replace my 93 Nissan Maxima. I drive on mostly highways and am concerned about the cabin noise. My husband has a Toyota Corolla and we can't hear each other talk in his car, especially with the radio on. (Yes, I did test drive the Jetta but I want to know the reality of daily commuting.) Has anyone gone from a midsize sedan to a Jetta? What have you found about the road noise inside?
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    Went from Accord to Jetta. What Accord?
    I love that car. It is not noisy.
    INKY
    I went from a 1991 Accord to a 2.0 Jetta. At high speeds the 2.0 is a pretty noisy engine, as was the Accord's. I now have a 1.8T Jetta and it's super quiet at high speed: 70-105 is what I've tested so far for extended periods.

-Jim
    http://www.jettaownersclub.org
  • ficklefickle Member Posts: 98
    Jim-Why is a 1.8 quieter? Can a four cylinder make is up long inclines like a six?

Inky-Which Jetta do you have? The 1.8 or V6?
    I don't know the exact reason, but the 1.8T is a much higher-tech engine with 5 valves per cylinder instead of 2. Overall, it's just a much more refined engine.

As for long inclines, I just drove to and from California on Labor Day. That drive includes going over many mountain passes. The 1.8T made it over like they weren't even there at 70-100 mph. The auto tranny never downshifted once even on the steepest (7%) grades.

-Jim
    On my test drives I never took my 1.8T up to highway speeds (80+), so I was under the impression that car was moderately noisey but livable. As you can see from the varied responses, we all have different expectations for engine/road noise. Drive it at speeds you drive. Maybe it'll seem quiet enough.
  • ssosso Member Posts: 5
    I'm new to this forum and find many of it's members take crticism of their vehichles a bit too personally. From my personal experience, I find the Volkswagen extremely appealing in terms of styling; they definitely appear to be the "in vogue" vehichle amongst many 20 and 30 somethings. I will however attest (from my own experience) that the quality of these vehichles is not quite up to par with the quality of some of the top Japanese makes. Being closely tied into the used car business, I find that most passionate VW owners are willing to sacrifice a little quality and reliability to own a vehichle that is more of "drivers car", which I agree the VW is. It is very difficult (if not impossible) for a car to be all things for all people. What VW may lack in reliability and quality, it makes up for in styling and road manners. One just has too decide where their priorities are. And by the way, I drive a Honda.
    The 1.8T is more refined, yes. Turbos also tend to cancel out A LOT of exhaust noise. That would be the main reason, I would guess.
    Funny. The exhaust note on my 1.8T is louder than the 2.0 was. It may be 'insulating' it from the passenger compartment by keeping it quieter in the engine bay. I dunno, but the difference is huge between the 1.8T and the 2.0.

I guess I need to go test drive a VR6 now... ;-)

-Jim
  • gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    Hi all,

My girlfriend has a 2000 GLS.

We hear this thunking noise from under the car, almost directly under the driver and passenger. It sounds like something loose shifting about, knocking back and forth.

It happens most often during quick braking or turning, or any sudden shift in momentum.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I don't have time to browse through 2000+ messages.

Thanks.
  • indianajettaindianajetta Member Posts: 1
    As a new owner of a 01 Jetta TDI GLS 5M, I thought I would share my view of this car. Although I'll have to make it through winter to see if there will be any problems with the TDI engine, I'm thoroughly pleased with the car. If it only had a couple more inches of leg room in the rear it would be near perfect for me. Too bad no TDI for the Passat. The TDI produces very usable power! It's no hot rod, but with it's fuel efficiency it can't be beat. Last two tankfuls produced 53.8 and 53.7 MPG! Never had anything lower than 42 MPG. The TDI is THE reason I made this purchase and it has not disappointed me at all. I have had absolutely no problems after 5900 miles. I would, without any reservation, recommend this car. Very good fit and finish. High quality materials throughout. This is my first non-domestic car. I doubt at this point that I will consider anything but VW in the near future.
    I guess the only way you could compare it would be a 1.8T vs. a 1.8 non turbo. Being exhaust driven, turbos inherently have quieter exhausts when all other things are equal.
    Yeah true, but comparing a 1.8T and a 2.0 is like comparing apples and pork chops. Anyway, we got a little off topic from the original question from fickle (#2265) about cabin noise. ;-)

I know what the noise is like in a 2.0 and a 1.8T. Just gotta try that VR6 I guess...

-Jim
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    This car gets noisy above 70 mph no matter what engine you may get with the Jetta. My Jetta (VR6) has about the same noise levels as my previous car (98 Accord V6) up to about 65 mph. After that wind noise gets too noticeable and soon after that (80 mph) the engine hmmm. Trust me, this car is not super quiet at 70 mph and above. But it's not deafening either.
  • skinnypooskinnypoo Member Posts: 20
    I have 2.0 engine...the engine starts getting very noisy when you reach 70 mph...and it down shifts on inclines if you try go slightly faster. The revs are high....3800 rpm around 70-75...thats BuSY!

Anyone who travels mostly at speeds of 70-90 mphs on highways and who would like a decent ride...please make sure to get a VR6...Also make sure you have the sound proofing that goes under your hood.

Iam selling my 2.0 as soon as the 24v vr6 comes out just for this reason...traveling to the mountains is noisy and the car struggles too much.

Around NYC my VW is cool...just the long highway drives out of the city.

ps - test drove a 12v vr6 and it was much quieter and smoother...of course.
  • blackjetta18t1blackjetta18t1 Member Posts: 278
    Anyone of you have a 2002 Jetta with std CD? My cousin got a 2002 but is awaiting delivery of the CD player. However, in the review, the pic of the interior seems to show a new layout of the dash, looks more like a Passat and looks good? Anyone have this so they could send some closer shots of it?
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The pic in the Jetta road test is not a Passat, it's a Jetta. Just the stereo is different in it. The Passat's dash has a large cubby in it and silver gauge bezels. The Jetta doesn't. Also, the CD player will become standard later in model year 2002, not initially.
    By getting a used car, you're only getting someone elses problems.

That's the talk of someone's father, who bought used cars made in the 60s and 70s when all vehicles were poorly assembled and didn't generally last.

Today if you read anything about savvy money use they always point toward buying a 3 year old car. A 3 year old car has lost 40-50% of its value and it will run today generally (german makes excluded) for another 3 to 4 years without requiring major service. That's why certified programs are around now...the cars are so reliable that manus can offer extended warranties that really won't hurt the bottom line. Heck a 2 year old Mazda Pro at a dealer gets a 5 year 70k warranty. No Jetta new can touch that or a pro's reliability. Or low price and great handling.

Read the millionaire next door. And if you want to spend your money in a super smart way...

You're 17, so college is right around the corner. When you get to college use that cash as a down-payment on a townhouse or small home with at least 3 bedrooms. If you need mom and dad to co-sign, get it. Then rent out the other rooms. If you can get 4 in there, they'll pay your mortgage so now you have a tax write-off, you're building equity and when you get out of college you'll have stellar credit.

Lets see...waste money on a new car, or get a leg up on life so that by the time you're 23 and out of college you're in strong financial shape.

I pay out the behind for the car I have now and I just want to be free of it.

2k a year on repairs to your used car is a damn sight better than if you bought a jetta and drove it for 4 years - 4k a year. Of course, you're still gonna blow at least 300 a year on routine maintenance for your jetta so that it's warranty won't get nuked. Higher insurance premiums too. Work out your actual costs v. current v. a slightly used, decent car like a civic or corolla or malibu.

If I get a new Jetta, I plan to keep it for well passed 100K. I was looking at used Jetta's

Seconds ago you said used was someone else's problem. Uh-huh. As for 100k, so now we're up to 6 years or so and you're definitely in for some big, big bills when the Jetta gets out of the 50k warranty. Read Consumer Reports and JD Power- you're looking into buying a car that's not reliable or cheap in the long-term.

but you can't beat the 1.9% financing. I guess we'll see what happens in the near future.

Yes you can. Buy a cheaper car or pay cash for a used one. If you're adding interest to your 16k Jetta we're now talking about 18-19k or so after taxes. Ouch.

Don't fall into the american trap of thinking a new car is all that. Use your money for something useful...like property or investments.
  • klmeschiklmeschi Member Posts: 4
    Would anyone here have a problem if your dealer suddenly told you, "We are going to have someone drive your brand new 2002 jetta 200 miles to get it to our dealership"?

Me, me! Am I the only one who thinks these people are being a bit insensitive? They think this is no big deal. I was originally told the car was "in the pipeline" and would arrive at my dealership off a nice truck. Now they say they think I should pay the few hundred dollars to truck it if that's how I want it transported.

Anyone had an experience like this with their dealer?
    I'd have a HUGE problem with that, klmeschi! I'd just tell them, truck it, or I'll go buy it from them myself.

They'd have some lot-boy with a hot foot driving your new car during its most important miles of its life!

A definite, resounding NO!

-Jim
    If they cannot truck the vehicle to you for free, then go to another dealership. I know I would.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Would I have a problem with a dealership driving a new car 200 miles from a different dealership prior to taking ownership of it? No.
    The dealer is doing their best to get the car the customer wants. Many dealerships do not have a flatbed and if a customer insists on having the car trucked it is only fair that the customer pay the additional cost.
    Is driving the car 200 miles going to cause it to blow up?
    What the point being made was is that they are going to have some snot-nosed lot kid bring the car down. This person is most likely not going to treat the car with the care it should be treated with in its break-in period. He will zoom the engine hard, hit the brakes, probably blast the radio, and all. I wouldn't have it. And if the dealership wants the customer's business bad enough, they will pay the hauling fees. Or I would go to the other dealer and get the car I wanted. Simple as that.

I don't even buy new cars with more than 10 miles on them. My last new car had 4 miles on it, and my 2001 Protege had 2 miles on it when I took delivery.
  • silvertdijettasilvertdijetta Member Posts: 10
    Go pick the car up yourself, or as Vocus suggested, go buy it from the dealer that has it.
  • tim_hooligantim_hooligan Member Posts: 143
    Ok, here's the inside scoop on the dealer exchange. My buddy worked as a salesman and was that snot-nosed brat that drove those cars back to the dealer. His exact words are "if you see DX and a # on the car, run the other way. we abuse those cars in transfer."
    In other words, those 200 miles were driven very hard and may have done unseen/hidden damage to your car. You could find out where the car is and pick it up there yourself.
    it's your hard-earned money, so spend as you wish. but if you want the best deal, do NOT accept an exchange that is driven 200 miles in less than 2 hours.
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    Anyone own one yet? I have yet to drive a TDI but am thinking about trading my 01 1.8T with 15k miles in on an 02 TDI. I am just worried about the power the TDI has, I am so used to my 1.8T. Then again the fuel mileage on the TDI is very attractive. I usually average 28.5 mpg in mixed driving with my 1.8T. On the highway it averages 35 or so. I drive approx. 25K per year and am thinking that there is an advantage to owning a TDI. I just hate to give up my super reliable 1.8T if the TDI isn't as good.
  • dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    i think the destination charge already paid includes delivery, when i bought my civic back in 99, they had to bring it in from yorktown, ny to tenafly, nj. i had to wait three weeks, even though it is less than 40 mies, the dealer did not even suggest having anyone pick it up. he insisted i wait, until honda delivery truck was in the area delivering cars, and it would bring it in.
    on the other hand, it is very easy to disconnect the speedometer on the new VWs, they might just do that. and you will never know what happened.
  • jettatdi00jettatdi00 Member Posts: 1
    The only way to decide on the Jetta Tdi is to Drive it on various road conditions. I test drove my 2000 on 3 separate visits before I purchased it. Since I was coming from an Olds Delta 88 it was quite a change. You already have a Jetta so your halfway there.
    I am satisfied with the the Jetta's performance as compared to the gas version but assume the 1.8T has better accel. It is great pulling up to the pumps with all of the SUV's and other gas hogs and calculating your mpg's with a smile. Mine gets 45 mpg consistently with 50 mpg on a highway only trip. Some get more I've read here. In CT Diesel is 10 cents less per gal. than the lowest oct. gas. Since I have 52k miles on mine in 20 months I figure I've saved a significant amount. Also I get over 600 miles per tank and only fill up once a week versus 2 or 3 times needed for the Olds. I plan to run this car to 300k miles, almost twice that of my previous gas sedans.
    Last winter it sat outside buried in the snow and there was no trouble starting up. I do wish I bought the heated seats since the car doesn't throw much heat until your driving somewhere. Best wishes on your decision.
    The 1.8T has a LOT more power than the TDI does. And the TDI doesn't rev up either, it redlines at like 5000rpm or something. It does have good torque though. And also, it requires a timing belt change every 40K with automatic from what I hear, so keep that in consideration. Oh, and you need synthetic oil all the time, and the fuel filter (I hear as well) is expensive and only available from VW. Add the service costs in to take away from the fuel savings. Diesels also don't make much heat either, so it takes longer to warm in the winter. And most recommend a block heater as an option too.
    The TDI helps decrease our dependence on foreign oil. It averages over 40 MPG with an automatic or manual. Diesel fuel can be made from soybean oil, canola oil, hemp oil and others so diesel can be a renewable fuel source. The TDI emits less CO2 than comparable gasoline engines.
    Synthetic oil is only $20 per 10,000 miles so is a small cost.
    A block heater is not necessary as it was on previous generation of diesels. It is not a bad idea to have a block heater, but this is true for gas or diesel motors. The TDI makes plenty of heat in the winter but only after the car is moving, idling in a driveway will not heat the motor adequately. I recommend the cold weather package which includes heated seats, mirrors, and windshield washer nozzles.
    There has been a $.30/gal price advantage for diesel for nearly the entire year in my area.
    Drivability - the diesel is well matched for driving in US as power is immediately available.
    If you have a need for intense speed then the 1.8T is the best choice as the 1.8T is a Rocket.
    And the fuel filter is $37.
    I am biased as I have a TDI and it is my first diesel and the best car I have ever owned.
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    The Jetta TDI that I was looking at was sold by the time I got back to the dealer to drive it, so I drove an 01 Golf TDI. The car hadn't been driven in a couple months (missing keys) but after the glow plug light went out the car started right up. It was a rather cool day, probably 45 degrees. Anyway, within 5 minutes of leaving the dealer the car was putting out heat and by 10 minutes was HOT!!

The power was ok, but its not my 1.8T. If I had my way I would trade my 1.8T for a more powerful 02 1.8T but hubby says no, I either keep my car or trade it for an 02 TDI.

I figure with the gas mileage my car averages (28 mpg) and figuring the TDI would average 40 mpg (probaby more) I would save about $750 a year in fuel alone. I live 30 miles from the nearest town and 85 miles from the nearest city, so I drive........a lot!!

I guess its just a matter of talking myself into giving up my little rocket.

I do have one question for the TDI owners, I noticed that on VW's website that they don't list an intercooler for the turbo on the TDI like they do for the 1.8T. Do you have to let the car idle after driving it to cool the turbo down or do you just shut it off like a regular car?
    From what I've seen on VWVortex, most people with 1.8T's there seem to do the same. Weird thing is, with that watercooled engine and intercooler, plus the insullation, the darn hood is always cool to the touch, even if I'm doing 5k shifts.

BTW, you can chip a TDI and get tons of power without hurting fuel economy. Check out VWvortex.
    www.tdiclub.com has more information on VW TDI than you will ever need to know.
  • nuridenuride Member Posts: 19
    i am about to go in for my 5,000 mile service; is there anything i should know? Should I let the service dept handle what type of oil goes into my vehicle? I keep hearing or reading that synthetic oil is needed, or should i just leave well enough alone. I have absolutely not had any porblems with this car and I don't want any. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Nothing special really. Synthetic is purely (pun intended) your choice, but bring in your own if you want synthetic. The dealer's prices are horrendous. Some wait for awhile before putting in synthetic, others go with it right off.

The dealer will just put in the required 5W30 for the free changes. Call them to ask what brand. Other than that, they'll rotate tires and call it good. They might try and wash your car too, so if you're picky (like me) I tell them no thanks. No lot-boy wash jobs on my Jetta.

If you have any little quirks, now is the time to tell them about them. You only have the first year/12K miles to complain about little stuff.

-Jim
  • thebotthebot Member Posts: 3
    I'm in the process of buying a VW and want to know if the Monsoon radio is worth the additional $387. A dealer whom I spoke with said there wasn't much difference. Just wanted to know what everone thinks.

Thanks
  • luvmyjettaluvmyjetta Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 2001 Jetta GLX in July and I have 3200 miles on it already. At this rate I am going to go through my bumper to bumber in a little over a year. I should have invested in the extended warranty, but they wouldn't budge on it too much and I felt like it was way too much money. Did anyone here ever buy an extended warrenty from another company? (i.e. edmunds)
    Also, there is a rattling that comes from the backseat. Everyone keeps telling me to forget it, they say listen it's a nice car, but it isn't a Lexus or Infiniti..it will make some noise. What do you think? I hope it has nothing to do with the stiffer sport suspension. It shouldn't should it? Before you rag on me..I am a girl, so I am kinda clueless when it comes to cars. I can check my fluids, put gas in it, and that's about it.
    Go to aftermarket and accessories section on Edmunds Town Hall and type warranty in the search area. There are quite a few discussions for you to read that should give you more info. on aftermarket warranty. I have heard of www.warrantydirect.com as being reputable but do not have any firsthand experience. I was quoted just under $800 for a 7 year 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty for my 2001. This would coexist with the VW 10/100 powertrain warranty. I decided I would take my chances and pay as I go for any required repairs.
    You paid for a new car and thus, while under warranty deserve a car that is completely free of defects. If you car is making odd noises, take it to the dealer and get it fixed. I can't understand why any person would tell you to put up with that - are only people with 28k Lexus ES300's entitled to good cars? Weird. Your car should be squeak, rattle, and buzz free.
  • moira_vwmoira_vw Member Posts: 17
    thebot -- What kind of Jetta are you looking at? I gave a lot of thought to the Monsoon or not question (and decided not to get it), but I was buying a loaded GLS and it seemed that they all come to the dealership with the Monsoon and the dealers won't budge on it. As to what I think of it, I'm no expert on audio quality, but I will say that with the Monsoon I've heard things on my CDs that I've never heard before (though the sound of the radio doesn't impress me as much).