Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    sarah233sarah233 Member Posts: 161
    hmmm. when i was shopping for my car (bright green), the dealer did seem to have a large amount of dark colors. they had a ton of galactic blue, baltic green, black, etc. they also had quite a few silver though. what i though sucked was that all of them equipped the way i wanted were tiptronic (except for the green one). i REALLY wanted galatic blue, but when i drove the tip it wasn't worth it to me and i took green.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Everybody comments on the dark blue of my Jetta. Man does it get dirty fast though. As for scratches I only have 2 after 8 months. One on the lower bumper and one on a door from one of the few times I parked in normal spots. When it's clean I think the galactic blue looks like a million bucks.

Venus: I've driven both versions of the TL. I just don't like Honda/Acura products. They're as boring as the vast majority of GM/Ford/Dodge/Toyota products. And no, I would never consider the A6. Not really a performance minded car. Even with the S option it appears to be a rather banal vehicle. Overpriced too. Though I must admit the new A4 is damn nice looking. I keep seeing one with 17s and it's a really attractive car. Put the RWD powertrain and VQ engine in the A4 and I'd be all over it.

BTW, I think conversations have a way of naturally turning to different topics. To insist that people uproot and move to a different location breaks the flow. We shift away from pure Jetta to various topics but generally come back. But that's just me, guess I'm not as staid as the rest of the world.
  • Options
    justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    The dark blue makes the Jetta even more classy looking. And that is hard to do. I had to get silver - my first one was black. I thought I hated the black, but I am realizing I miss it.

The color that they have a lot of is Baltic Green. Because no one buys that color it seems. That will not be a good trade in car. Not a color that a used car lot can push out the door fast probably.

One thing about the Jetta that annoys me is the you can get the Wagon in gold/beige, but not the sedan.
  • Options
    blackjetta18t1blackjetta18t1 Member Posts: 278
    my jettas black, and it has soo many scratches, i assume because I park outside..in the suburbs(no garage here). And it gets dirty unbelievably fast, but when its clean, I appreciate it soo much more. I got it washed at the hand car wash last week for the first time in 2.5 weeks cause it's to cold to wash my self and I hadn't washed it sooner because there was never more than a one day period of good weather. When it was clean, it was like the first day I got the car. I parked right outside the window of my job and couldn't stop staring at it.... :)
  • Options
    tigger31tigger31 Member Posts: 5
    I am new to the VW world, so can somebody advise me on which model Jetta is preferable... I am planning to buy one in the morning...
  • Options
    From the discussion, I gather that 2002 Jetta 2.0 would meet my needs, thank you.

I also gather that it is a very dependable car. You see, I drive 15 miles (one way) to work everyday, so I need Jetta very badly - a car that will take me from point A to Point B safely and economically. Would you say that paying $300.00 to $500.00 over invoice price is reasonable?

Does anybody know the reason(s) VW prefers dark colors in their JETTA models. Why is it that silver color Jetta is rare? Why are they made in Mexico? Thank you.
  • Options
    AnakinAnakin Member Posts: 410
    If you're not interested in power, then the Jetta 2.0 would be fine for you. It has enough power for around-town driving. It tends to feel a bit breathless in highway passing, however.

I think in general, the Jetta is a dependable car. Most of the complaints you hear about are small problems with the stereo or window actuators. I've had my 2002 1.8T since September and 5500 miles, and I've had zero problems.

I don't think the silver color is rare. It's simply their most popular color, followed by black and then red. This leaves a lot of the darker colors like the indigo on the lot.

If you really want another color, why not see if the dealer can find one for you?
  • Options
    cyberfire12cyberfire12 Member Posts: 18
    OH NO! I've got a Baltic Green 2.0, automatic Jetta--This is the car all the 'enthusiasts' hate. But, I can cruise at 80 with no problem, pass on the highway, get 25 mpg in town and 33 hwy all on regular gas! Its comfortable, compact and nimble. I took this car on a trip NY to AZ and back with no problems. Dealership service sucks and my car loves O2 sensors but I still like it. If you want the Jetta, go for it!
  • Options
    Thank you for the advice...
    I went to two different VW dealers today... no silver color in sight. I was really disappointed.
    Lots of black, blue, and green...

Another surprise - Jetta 2.0 comes in cloth & velour seats only... that leather seat is not an option by itself... that I needed to have a leather & moonroof option if I wanted leather (with a $5,000.00 difference in price)!!!
    Is this reasonable?
  • Options
    vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    Go to another Dealer...Leather is a stand alone
    option, as is Lux. Pkg.(SunRoof & Alloy wheels).
    These option codes are: PJ4 = Lux. Pkg., and PL1 =
    Leather...

Learn about what you want to buy at www.vw.com
  • Options
    Beware the salesmen. They will tell you that it's not possible to get this or that option because they want you to buy the cars they have on the lot.

Even so, I strongly recommend against the velour seats. They trap lint horribly.

Do get the seat heaters, however. My wife loves them.
  • Options
    popmanpopman Member Posts: 5
    I am considering buying a Jetta and came to this board looking for some insight. Found some but mostly this board seems to be dominated by a handful of people going round and round over the same BS. I'm glad you like your Impala and I'm glad your happy with your protege. Heck, I'm happy with my '93 Cougar (very reliable NO rattles or problems). Except I thought this was a VW Jetta board, both pro and con, not a Whinny, argument prone flame board. BTW there are many complaints posted about the Jetta on VWVORTEX.COM also. (I've been there, the VW salesman turned me on to it). Nothing in this world is perfect. And if you expect perfection, you will be disappointed. I'm sure that the Jetta's have problems. The Jetta GLS 1.8 that I test drove was a bit on the noisy side in the cabin. Lots of whistling like the windows or doors were not sealed or shut properly. Was it just this particular car that I test drove, or is it a problem with all jettas? I do not know. But this one test drive hasn't eliminated the car from my consideration. I'll just go to another dealer for another test drive and see what happens.

Also the dealer I went to offers loaners for ALL service. Even if for a few hours. (At least that is what I was told when I asked about it.) I live in the Chicago area and this particular dealer was highly recommended to me from other VW owners. So there are some dealers that do right by their customers.
  • Options
    Perhaps it's relative to what kind of car you're coming from?

I used to own a Honda, and my Jetta is quieter.
  • Options
    venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    I used to own a Honda too and my Jetta is noisier, especially at high speeds. Nothing too objectional unless you're driving over 90 mph. I know, you shouldn't be going that fast anyway.

Also, the newer velour seats (I first noticed them about a month ago) may not be as big of a lint collector.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I took my car for service this past Friday. They gave me a free loaner, a 2002 GLS 2.0 automatic. (God was that car a dog compared to my turbo! Now I know why they call them 2.slow.) :) Anyway, they fixed everything, and washed the car up for me. I picked it up Saturday, but was not happy when I found out the car sat all night Friday unlocked! I told the service manager about it, and he said he would rectify the situation.

Actually, the 2.0 engine wasn't so bad. I had to rag it out to get good power, but it doesn't make for a bad little city car. (The sucker is breathlesso on the highway though, above 70mph.) It's an adequate performer. But when I got back in my turbo, the first time I took off from a stop I planted the pedal and smiled from ear to ear. :)
  • Options
    i got a 2001 2.0 and although it's pretty noisy and gets a rough idle, it is good around town as I've noticed that the 0-40 is really pretty good, its the 40-60 thats slower. However you are right about the highway, it really is tapped after 70, which I find amazing because though I'm not proud of this, I've been able to get the car to 95 on this long stretch of road and the car seemed in good shape but other times on the highway at 75 it seemed tapped. My uncle was driving my car once coming back with him from vacation(he's got a 740il,) and he liked it and got to 100 but did say it really lacks the oomph for sudden bursts of speed to pass on the highway. But overall for city driving(what I do most, or you can call it suburb driving) it isn't to bad...and I've actully won my share of little stop light battles against some Civics, Imprezas, Galants, and even a 328i, but that was something consisting of some driving skill :), along with better knowledge of the backroads and alittle luck..(it wasn't a drag type race, more of a get theor first, folowing each other type...again not proud of it, but kinda am....)
  • Options
    I found myself very frequently flooring the 2.0 to get the power I needed to pass and get moving on the highway. And I went out on Saturday night with a friend of mine who rides in my 1.8T all the time and drove it once too. He was like, "What's going on with this car? It's alot slower and noisier". I told him about the 2.slow thing, and he totally agreed. He went with me to get my car, and I opened that sucker up when I got it on the highway. :) He was like, "Happy now??". I thought it was funny. :)

I drove 165 miles in the 2.0 automatic, 60/40 city/highway mix and I got 23.5 mpg. That's about the same mileage I get with my turbo. Of course, it was nice to use regular gas for once... :)
  • Options
    From what I've seen on Vortex and read in various reports (such as Ward's consistently ranking the 1.8T among the best engines in the world), the 1.8T engine is the not the problem in the Jetta world...that honor goes to the oil sucking 2.0.

There's a reason the 2.0 is in just the bargain basement Golf/Jetta/Beetle models while the 1.8T finds itself in the TT, Passat, A4, Beetle, Jetta and GTI. You ever read about oil burning in the 1.8T?

Just my thoughts on the 2.0 v. 1.8T.
  • Options
    I noticed that my Jetta is quite a bit noisier in the cabin than my Honda Civic. Kind of annoying, but I'm getting used to it. I still like my Jetta better...
  • Options
    I have the 2002 Turbo, and noise is not an issue except when I step on the gas and I hear high-pitches whistle. I LOVE that sound. It is much quieter than my 2001 Civic EX.

I definitely agree about the 2.0. The Cabrio I drove was great around town, but on the beltway, no so good, and that was a 5 speed. The turbo is ideal for long distance travels on high-speed roads. It BEGS for more, and when you answer it's call, you are rewarded, big time :)
  • Options
    Definitely have to agree about the turbo. There is just something about that whistle that I have grown to like a LOT! :) I drove the 2.0 this past weekend (in the loaner) with automatic, and it was like sitting still compared to my turbo. I always seemed to be prodding the pedal on the highway wanting a downshift, but it wasn't trying to give it.

I have a co-worker that occasionally goes to lunch with me, and she always makes me drive. She says when I hit the gas hard in the turbo, it feels like she's got butterflies and she can feel the car pushing her back in the seat. She has begged me to let her drive my car, but NO GO! :)
  • Options
    target3target3 Member Posts: 155
    Is there a web address for the Ward's review of the 1.8t?
  • Options
    teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Well, my sister bought (Upon my recommendation) a new 2002 VW Golf GL 2.0L 5-door hatch. Incredible car!
  • Options
    Not familiar with Wards....or their road tests. Sorry. I know that Edmunds has the 2002 Jetta Turbo on their "most wanted" list :)
  • Options
    http://industryclick.com/

magazinearticle.asp?

magazineid=50&releaseid=

9753&magazinearticleid

=137793&SiteID=26

Combine all six lines to get the link to work. It's one of Edmund's weird rules.
  • Options
    xudxud Member Posts: 32
    Thanks Bluyguy for informing us the web site. It's good to see that the VW 1.8T is in the 10
    best engine list.
  • Options
    skrisikskrisik Member Posts: 3
    Popman: I also live in the Chicago area, and am about to buy a Jetta. Can you tell me the dealer that was recommended to you? Thanks!
  • Options
    vtrip7vtrip7 Member Posts: 6
    I JUST PURCHASED A 2002 GLS, BOTH THE PASSENGER AND DRIVER DOORS ARE ALREADY RATTLING WITH ONLY 600 MILES ON THE ODOMETER! HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS PROBLEM, IF SO WAS THE DEALER ABLE TO FIX IT? I THOUGHT THESE CARS WERE GERMAN ENGINEERED(I KNOW MADE IN MEXICO),
  • Options
    427435427435 Member Posts: 86
    I was very serious about buying a GLS with the 1.8T but I wanted leather. The dealer; a reply from a e-mail I sent VW on their web-site; and Edmunds car price all say you can't get leather without first buying the luxury package. I'm not at all interested in the sunroof because of sealing issues (I will drive it 200,000 miles in the next 5-6 years)and headroom---and especially not if it's going to cost me $1000 more!!!

I'll be buying something else that offers leather without a sunroof being required!
  • Options
    have the dealer install what they call "foils". fixes the door issues.
  • Options
    Can someone explain why on a unit body construction car the doors rattle???????
  • Options
    phishockeyphishockey Member Posts: 24
    What are "foils? I'm just curious cause I know the rattles are a big VW problem.
  • Options
    Do aftermarket leather if it's that important to you and you still want a Jetta.
  • Options
    My car started rattling in Week 4. Still rattling 6 months later.
  • Options
    it is really simple. when the door shuts, at the TOP of the door, the door meets the top of the body of the car. It seems that later model Jetta's have an issue of the door and body not meshing that well-leaves room for noise/rattles/squeeks. The dealer installs "foils" - a not-so-fancy term for really thick clear tape. They installed it on my car - worked like a charm. They did all doors, just in case. You can't even see the stuff. Be careful when washing your car. If you get really into it like I do, and wash and wipe down the inside of your doors, top and bottom, be sure not to rub the foils off. It is just rubber/plastic clear material with some sort of adhesive. You can take it off and replace it yourself if you wanted to I guess.....

hope that helps.
  • Options
    Put tape to stop door rattles on a unit body construction car? What?
  • Options
    you've been asked to leave a room once, and don't try and make it happen again, your itching for a fight, and no one wants to get into one with you of all people. quit your instigating, anyway, last time I heard, Chevy's were just alittle noisy, just a little....
  • Options
    anyway i know i just kinda got into it with u jus now, but that's it, not another peep from me to you.
  • Options
    That's debatable....

I think that some of us here are just getting tired of the comments and "jabs" that are not meant for a civilized online forum. The internet is a place where anyone can say anything, but I think that the majority of Edmunds participants are here in the Jetta boards for reasons that are different than yours.
  • Options
    I'm aghast at the amount of vitriol VW fans level at persons not taken by the People's Car.

If you don't have an answer for his valid question (taping doors on a brand new car? this is NOT a new problem on VWs and it should have been fixed by 2000), why ask him to leave? Good grief.

At least Edmunds doesn't have the flame-spewing emailers I've encountered at VWVortex.

BTW, 4 trips to the dealer and my Jetta still rattles. Obviously there's a deeper issue than tape can cure every time.
  • Options
    flacaflaca Member Posts: 168
    but my 2001 GLS 2.0 has been great for the past 11 months and 10,700k miles. No rattles, cabin noise, etc. And I can pass anyone on the highway. Usually I have to slow down cause I can easily reach 85 without ever noticing. The only thing that was repaired so far was that the seat beat would jam on me tugging and moving forward. Dealer changed it and that was that. My dealer in Ft. Lauderdale area is GUNTHER VW. Their salesman Mike Neals is a sweetheart of a guy. He explains and takes great care of all your needs. The only salesguy I have trully liked and respected. Our exprience in leasing 2 VWs there were awesome. So, so far, I LOVE MY JETTA!
  • Options
    I think it's less attacking people with valid questions and more that this particular person has been making comments to purposely inflame people.
  • Options
    absolutely, i agree, i mean i'm not one who flips out on people for bad mouthing VW, if that were the case I would have done so on Blueguy long ago, but that't not the case because I agree with some stuff he says(mostly about rattles). I have my criticisms of VW like many others but certain someones only come in here to start to instigate, but I do agree about the ridiculousness of the rattles situation and agree it should have been rectified long ago...Anywho, I still think I make a valid argument about noisy Chevy's... :b
  • Options
    venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    you just can't bad mouth teo's impala and expect to get away with it. regardless of his motives, he makes a good point. i would be so pissed off if i had to get this "thick tape" put on my car just after i got it.

blueguy: i just read an article from my autoweek about the G35. i wouldn't kick it out of my driveway (if i had one). autoweek said it would be another year before the 6 speed would be available though.

enough about all this power from the 2.0l engine.
  • Options
    ...to have someone driving a GM car questioning the build quality of a VW is just silly, that is all. and that particular person that posts those messages is not known for helpful and constructive posts. i mean, sure, a new car should NOT rattle. but guess what, THEY DO! i guess i just don't understand the constant whining and complaining that people do. get over it. i wish i had these people's lives, where rattles in a car are so important. it just so happens that "tape" fixed my rattles. big deal. does anyone understand how lucky they are to have a car that rattles instead of the alternatives out there? if all my car needs to be perfect is a little tape, i consider myself having the best car out there.....
  • Options
    jphdxljphdxl Member Posts: 32
    We're in the market for a new car and are very seriously considering a Jetta. I've been following this board and the Jetta Problems board for a few weeks now and everyone seems to love this car. It seems from the posts that the 2.0 engine sucks oil and is a bit weak, but haven't heard one bad thing about the 1.8T (I can't see getting the VR6 -- which my brother has in a Passat and loves!). Overall build quality seems good, except for this current rattle battle.

As we're about to start testing possible cars, is there a significant performance difference between the 1.8T stick and auto (wife demands auto and it's not worth a divorce to get the stick)? Also, the 1.8T seems to be quite popular, what kind of deals are people getting on this car (we're in SW CT)? Lastly, what kind of performance/ride differences have people noticed going to the 17" wheels? $2k seems pretty pricey for rims and sport suspension.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Jason
  • Options
    I never drove a 1.8T stick, but own a Tiptronic automatic 2002 1.8T. The power is incredible, but be warned that creeping through city traffic can be crazy sometimes. You hit the gas hard enough to spool the turbo in the city, and watch out. Also, sometimes the revs aren't up when you need to stab the pedal quickly to take off. Fuel economy for me averages 22-25 mpg (though I have a heavy foot) on the required premium. Also, the Tiptronic function can be big fun on a windy road. :) Don't feel slighted because your wife wants automatic though. Have fun with the car!

Also, don't worry about the rattle battle. Test drive the car you are actually going to take home. That's the mistake I made, I just took the car after test driving another one. I like my car alot, but it just gets to me that it rattles sometimes (although not HALF as bad as my 2-year old Cavalier did when I had it. Chevy makes crap, everyone knows that). But also, my dealer has been really good about driving the car with me, and addressing my needs. Wonderful customer service.
  • Options
    i drove the stick and the auto, and i didn't really see a difference in power, the auto just wasn't as fun to drive. i don't think it's worth a divorce though... ( : I also was not that impressed with the tiptronic, but that's why I bough the stick. I think a lot of people really enjoy it.
  • Options
    The 1.8T is a fantastic little engine. Yes you've gotta goose it a little to get the go-juice rumbling but once you hit 3k, the car flat out launches.

I haven't touched the Tiptronic, I'm still in denial that automatics exist. :)

Yes, the sports suspension is worth it. Drive both cars back to back HARD. You'll see a marked difference between the normal setup and the sportier one.

As for price, you should be able to get any Jetta near invoice. Do your test drives, find the exact setup you want and then e-mail all the local dealers asking for their best price. Also check into the local AAA or Costco car buying programs. The Costco deal netted one friend a WRX for $200 over invoice and another got a Sentra under invoice (he had the college grad discount too). You'll score an excellent deal via the web/Costco/AAA route. I paid $200 over invoice for my Jetta in June and that was without a single hassle. A dealer in LA offered me the same car for $100 over but I'd have to motor all the way up there, so I took the closer deal.
  • Options
    I don't know if it's a difference between the 150-hp and 180-hp versions, but my 2002 1.8T hits its power band as soon as I hit 1950 rpm on the tach. I can feel it kick in HARD! :)

I drove a 2002 Jetta GLS 2.0 automatic as a loaner, and the handling was a LOT different than my Sport Luxury equipped 1.8T (with sport suspension and 17-inch tires). The ride was also alot softer though, so try before you buy.