Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• gregj777gregj777 Member Posts: 67
    A good point, I guess I don't follow the other forums like I do this one and the Vortex. I wasn't trying to rag on the guy, but we've already made the point that all makes and models can have lemons, and then I continually see this stuff. Sheesh, I guess it was a bad nite! ;-)
  • idgeidge Member Posts: 2
    I did look on that site before, but I didn't see the wheels option on the bottom. The Montreal ones looks pretty good to me, although it's not listed if they come in 17''. I've seen mostly the Bravo and Toccata around.
    I still haven't decided on the color. It's gonna be either black or blue! ;)
  • anonymiseanonymise Member Posts: 10
    I test drove a Jetta VR6 last weekend, as well as a Nissan Altima and Subaru Impreza RS, all with a 5-speed. The VR6 felt disappointingly weak when compared to the 4-bangers in the Altima and Impreza. Also, the short shift lever in the Jetta forces me to have to reach for 3rd and 5th gears, although I am kinda big and have the seat back pretty far.
  • gladicheckedgladichecked Member Posts: 93
    When people get a lemon for a car I can understand their frustration. For most people, their car is the 2nd most expensive piece of property that they own/lease. I would be pretty mad if I paid 20G for a lemon no matter what the make or model was. Put yourself in this guy's shoes...then be glad it's not you!
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    You did it!! Woo Hoo! Congrats....be careful and have fun!
  • delta5delta5 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone taken delivery of a 2001 Jetta with the curtain airbags for driver/passenger? This was to be an October midyear upgrade along with the multi-function steering wheel. I have seen the new wheel...very nice for safety reasons..although many prefer the old 3 spoke wheel.

Also I am considering either the Baltic green..which is a dark metallic blue-green, or the black. Any opinions on one or the other? Thanks................
  • garye730garye730 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2001 Baltic Green GLX and the color has played to rave reviews. (It's really nice with the beige interior.) Oddly enough, I'd seen similar colors on other cars and hadn't been that impressed. Too something ... blue? ... green? ... loud? The Jetta seems to have gotten it right, and I think its a good color for a small car. Just make sure you check out this color under different lighting conditions. Depending on the way the light hits it, it will look either more blue or more green. Whichever color you select, I've got to say that the Jetta is a neat little car.
  • malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    Hello everyone

I just have a small question for you VW owners. My co worker just bought a 98 GLS and none of her warning light s come on when she turns the key to the "on" position. Now I don't know if VW works the same way as my car does but which lights are supposed to come on when the ignition is switched to "ON"? She says her BRAKE, SEAT BELT, ABS lights are the only ones that come on. Is this the way it should work? Any info will be greatly appreciated.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    That's the way they should work in the car. Every car I have ever driven does that, so it's totally normal.
    In any car, when the key is turned to the "on" position and isnt running the car "thinks" the engine is running, but the alternator isnt spinning, which could cause a "low battery" type of light to come on also. The "brake" and "ABS" lights come on because the power brake pump isnt pressurizing the brake fluid.
    I think I asked the question incorrectly. In my Malibu when the key is ON ALL the warning lights come on to let me know the lights are actually working ( no blown out bulbs or so), but in her car only the ABS, BRAKE, SEAT BELT come on. Her Check engine light doesn't. I'm trying to tell her that this is not normal, that the engine light should come one briefly to let her know the sensor is active and working. She tries to tell me tehre is nothing wrong with it but I think it should. however I never have owned a German car so I could be wrong. Thanks for your replies and I hope I clarified things a bit. :-)
  • bluejettabluejetta Member Posts: 272
    Yes. That is correct. The light should come on when you turn the key to the "ON" position and then stay on just momentarily after starting as the ECU runs through its checklist. After that is complete, then the light turns off if everything is normal.

You friend needs to have her's checked. Could be as simple as a burnt out bulb.
    I dont know...come to think of it I had a '93 Volvo 940 that had ALL the lights come on and stay on when the key was "ON" and the engine wasnt. The same is true of my father's 2000 Volvo S80 and my mothers Chrysler minivan. Perhaps there are some problems with the sensors then, sorry if i was wrong in that last post I misunderstood.
    I know Volvos are Sweedish but I think that they are very similar to German cars. In fact, Volvo's 5-cylinder engines were (and I think still are) actually made by Volkswagen.
  • wonderwallwonderwall Member Posts: 126
    actually i think volvo builds the engine but bought the rights to make it from VW's audi division.
    tHANK YOU TO ALL FOR YOUR RESPONSE. She found out it was a bad bulb and had it replaced. All fixed now! Thank God cause she loves that car more than anything. :-)
  • chifirechifire Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I was offered a deal on Jetta GLS1.8T with
    5 speed
    Cold Weather Pkg
    Luxury Pkg (Power Glass Moon Roof & 15" Alloy Wheels)

for 19,683 + destination charge.

Is this a good deal? Please give me some advice.
    Thanks alot.
    How is the new car holding up? Are you still pleased? Doesn't it feel nice? I always thought mine felt like it cost a lot more than it really did....
  • drmike2drmike2 Member Posts: 5
    This is a response to #338 by gwd17. I believe you are mistaken. There is no reason to think that an engine or transmission becomes "accustomed to" any particular style of driving (unless, of course, it is designed to by means of "fuzzy logic"). You may, of course, drive your car in the manner you describe, but you aren't doing it any favors.

There is no reason to cruise at an engine speed any higher than the minimum that will produce smooth results (ie, avoid lugging). Running at a higher than necessary engine speed for a given mph is wasteful of fuel and subjects the engine to unnecessary aging (more rpm's = shorter engine life, all other things being equal).

Unless I need to accelerate rapidly, I generally shift at about 3000rpm, until I reach my cruising speed. If this is anywhere above 40mph, I will be in fifth gear. No problems.
    That's a good price on the 1.8T if it's a 2001 model. Did that come with the Monsoon system too?
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    "I always thought mine felt like it cost a lot more than it really did...."

I agree 100%. Once VW starts losing its image as an economy car company, I'm sure they'll start raising their prices. I think it also looks very upscale. I love the heated seats with the weather turning cold in Wisconsin.
    "I always thought mine felt like it cost a lot
    more than it really did...."

So very well said, Justin!! That pretty much says it all in a nutshell about the Jetta, IMO.

So, with that being said, we're going for our yearly "fall drive" through the country to photograph and observe the fall colors.

It's a cold (20's), crystal clear day, so those seat warmers will be put to good use -- especially when we open the sun roof!! ;-)))
  • gregj777gregj777 Member Posts: 67
    I've been using mine all week! I like the fact you can adjust them; in my Saab they were automatic if the temp fell below 40 degrees and you could not adjust the level of heat.
  • george83george83 Member Posts: 1
    MY DEALER TOLD ME I MUST PAY WINDOW STICKER PRICE
    FOR EITHER THE 2001 JETTA GL TDI OR THE 2001 GOLF
    GL TDI. I FIND THIS HARD TO BELIEVE, PLEASE TELL
    ME IF THIS IS CORRECT OR SHOULD I FIND A NEW DEALER. HE SAYS THERE IS A VERY SHORT SUPPLY AND
    IT COULD TAKE SIX MONTHS TO ORDER ONE. PLEASE TELL
    ME HE'S WRONG!!
  • galacticgretagalacticgreta Member Posts: 3
    I just had to jump in, after lurking around this site for the last few weeks, I have finally bought my Jetta! Galactic Blue, TDI, manual transmission, GLS trim package, tan leather interior. I opted to buy a CD player aftermarket, but am already starting to regret having to deal with the hassle. This is one of the first 2001 Jettas the dealer has had come in with the extra side-curtain airbags. Also it has the multi-function steering wheel, which is a nice plus but I wonder what that means about adding a CD player?
    I LOVE the car, I really wanted good gas mileage, safety, and a little style and I just couldn't have found anything better. One small disappointment, about 10 miles down the road the ABS light came on and the brake light started flashing. So it is back to the dealer today to get that little glitch ironed out. But with all of the computer regulated operations on cars, it's not surprising. My husband bought a Subaru Outback a while ago, and in the first week the service engine light came on.
    The enthusiasm on this site is infectuous, and I am glad to join the group!!!
    george83: Some models of both the Jetta and the Golf are hard to come by, so to pay sticker, for those models in short supply in your area, is not too surprising. But, definitely shop around!!

galacticgreta: Congratulations and welcome to the Jetta club!! The Galactic Blue is an awesome color and you'll have nothing but fun! A glitch here or there is not unusual, as you said. If ya wanna get jazzed about the Jetta, just read jwink1's post!

You can get an aftermarket CD changer to work!! read this information: http://www.members.home.net/2k1bluejetta/cdchangermod.html

The MF steering wheel changes nothing for installing a CD player or changer.
    meant MF (multi function) wheel...
    is the MS steering wheel STANDARD on the GLX? Or is it a stand alone option?
    I would think it would be standard, since the leather seats are.
    All Jetta's are now being manufactured with both the MF wheel and side-curtain airbags as standard equipment. That does not mean they are on the showroom floor yet though...
  • delta5delta5 Member Posts: 4
    Congratulations on your new TDI. I'm hoping to purchase one soon. Could you possibly tell me when your TDI was built and shipped? It should be noted on the window sticker or possibly on the door pillar once you open the driver door. Also, what part of the country do you live in? I am in the Atlanta area and have not seen the curtain airbag upgrade yet. I will probably wait till these are available before I get serious about purchasing. Finally, did you have to pay sticker or was the price negotiable?
    Once again, Congratulations...when gas prices skyrocket you'll have one of the best sedans around and getting 50mpg to boot!!!!!!!
    I know I just got rid of my 99 Gen IV Jetta GLS VR6 in August. I can't stop thinking about it. If the stock does what people say in December, I think I am going to have to pick up a GLX.....I can't really think of any other car that I would want that fits my life right now. A Volvo S40 is close...I might just have to bite the bullet and pay for a decent parking place and hope for no "dings"....

I envision myself with black leather this time, still auto tranny, and a nice dark red or dark blue exterior. Had black on tan last time....sharp, but oh so hard to maintain! Has there been ANY engine spec changed on the VR6 since the redesign in 99? Still 174 HP and 180lbs of torque?

My Hyundai is cheap, but, call me shallow, it makes me feel very...well...cheap. Everyone thinks I am CRAZY for getting rid of my Jetta, and I am starting to believe them ;) I thought I would be happy knowing how much money I am saving in monthly payments and insurance (all said - $300/month), but I am questioning my decision......what to do, what to do!?
    If you get rid of that Hyundai now (2 months or so after getting it?) you are going to be one sorry man. You will end up losing about $2000 or so and having to go negative on the loan. That's true with any car, and especially so with a Korean made automobile.
  • likevw1likevw1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all. I'm new to this forum. Am thinking of
    waitng for the April? 2001 release of the updated
    Jetta. I understand that, among other improvements, it will have the 5-speed automatic.

Does the current VR6 have only 2 valves per cylinder? That would explain it's rather meager (by today's standards) power ratings. since it's 1992 (at best) technology does anyone have info on the '01 1/2? Numerous dealers tell me the Passat V6 won't be used (fitment problem?).
  • clovisgclovisg Member Posts: 1
    Hi all. I am a new user to this forum. I have a 2000 vr6 Jetta. I have read a lot about problems
    from check engine light and certain other engine problems. I must admit that since receiving it, I have not had a problem that I know of. The only thing I notice was some black stuff at the end of the tail pipe. Any idea why this is taken place. I also have'nt notice any performance problems due
    to that. So far I have enjoyed driving it and overall I think its a pretty cool looking car for the cost.

Curious.
    The VR6 is only two valves per cylinder. It is a rugged engine though - designed for use on the autobahn. The power is smooth and seamless. The black tail pipe is normal. Happens on all VW's. I don't think they are the most emission/smog friendly cars, but i don't give a hoot ;)

Vocus - you are right about the negative equity. But a sizable down payment would help.....or i would just keep the hyundai as my inner city driving car.

this is all depending on stock options, as I said.

we shall see! I personally don't want them messing with the VR6 engine......it is very reliable. My check engine light came on once due to me running the car out of gas.....had it reset and never ran it out of gas again!
    I have the same problem as you do. I have a 1999 Protege DX with 30K and I owe about $11K on it right now. Because of the high mileage I drive, the car is going to have negative equity if I trade now. I would love to have a Golf or Jetta right now, but not willing to trade a perfectly good car and lose money. Your Hyundai is brand new and even has a better warranty than the Jetta does. Thought it's nowhere near the same, it's cheaper to maintain and also, you don't have to be as careful with it. If I were you (which basically I am in the same situation), I would drive the Hyundai at least for a year or two and save even more money up before thinking about another Jetta. That would be the smart thing to do.
  • jwink1jwink1 Member Posts: 17
    Mine came with the MF wheel and side airbags, so I think that stuff is standard.
    The black stuff on the tailpipe is normal, just carbon, a little oil. All cars do that.
    As for the check engine light, is your gas cap on tight, 3 clicks or so?
    why isn't mazda talking about the 2001 protege's?
    is there something wrong? every other car is updated already except for daewoo...
    They are not talking because the car is being introduced in January as the 2001 model instead of now like everyone else's is. In the top-line ES model, the new standard engine will be a 2.0 4-cylinder good for 130+ hp. No one knows yet if it will be a Ford Zetec or Mazda engine. We shall see. Also, the 2.0 will be optional in the LX models as well. And the front and rear fascias and interior will see a minor change as well.
  • fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    Justin, I KNEW you couldn't hold out! Well, I hope your stocks do well, so you can get that GLX with sport ride and 17" wheels - suweet!! I love the black leather!! Good choice. My GLS 1.8T is doing awesome! I'm at U. of Oklahoma taking a 2-month grad course, and oh all the comments I get from students (yes, chicks dig this car). Wife says I'm not allowed to offer rides to coeds though - rats).

Vocus - Why do you care what's new on the '01 Protoge when your next car will be a VW? Anyway, isn't the zetec a 2.3, so if the '01 Mazda has a 2.0, it's their engine!
    but, yuck, who wants a Ford engine in a nice Mazda?? That would stink. As far as econonmy cars go, the Protege looks the best. They are gonna mess with it, and it is going to go down the tubes I bet....

Ya know - I don't like the 17" wheels on the Jetta, personally. I think they make the car look too small - the car is all wheels at that point. The standard 16's are a little "classier" to me. To each his own! I have a feeling even if the stocks don't do well, I will find some (probably detrimental to my wallet) way to do something...;)
    the 2.0 liter in the 2001 protege is going to be the jetta/golf 2.0 liter.
    Now the Jetta/Golf 2.0 in the Protege would be something! :)

Fischda: You just know in your heart my next car's gonna be a VW huh? :) I am going to keep my Protege until it dies though, just to see how much I can get from it. I have 31.300 miles now and it's a year old, so will probably be ready for a replacement within the next 5 years. I will then check out the VW Golf or Jetta at that time.
    I can't tell you when the car was built, it's not on the sticker and she's still with the dealer - there is a malfunctioning sensor and the ABS light is stuck on and the brake light is blinking. They assure me that nothing is wrong with the ABS, but it is tedious to unravel exactly which sensor is misfiring.
    I'm in Florida, near Orlando. The car was actually on the truck without a designated dealer when they located it, so it only took me two weeks to get it. It was difficult to find a TDI with the leather seats and luxury package (Sunroof!). All of the TDI's on the lot were the GL trim package, I guess they think diesel drivers don't like extras.
    The price was a little negotiable, I got the car for 20,500 and the sticker was 21,650. I think I could have gotten a better deal, since the car was on and off the lot in one day, but I didn't think about that when I negotiated for the car (too excited that they found it, I guess).
    Good luck with your TDI, I love driving mine, and can't wait to get it back later today!
    I would love any very non-technical advice about the trunk mounted CD Changer. I don't want to take up valuble storage space with the in-dash player. Should I choose the dealer installed, or shop around for a changer from a car stereo dealer. Will they work the same? I wouldn't mind upgrading speakers at the same time, is that easy to do at a car stereo place? I have to emphasize that I'm not likely to order anything online and install it myself, I just don't have the time to take on that project right now.

Thanks!
  • coolcarcoolcar Member Posts: 2
    Okay...I've been lurking but now I'm in. I couldn't help it. I just picked up my new Galactic Blue with gray interior this weekend. I love it! MFS is cool too. You can turn off the lights to the MFS which makes it less distracting at night. Leave it to the German engineers!

I'm going to put the dealer CD Changer in myself. I decided that I didn't want to take the chance on anything else. But I talked to the parts manager and he said it really wasn't too difficult a process.

I'm enjoying the lively discussion. Thanks!
    the 2.0 in the 2001 Protege is going to be the 2.0 in the Jetta? That is going backwards in technology....the base 2.0 in the VW's are HORRIBLE. I would take the current 1.8 in the Protege ES over the Ford Zetec or the base VW engine. Gotta get the VR6 in the Jet....at least the 1.8t or TDi.
    Not me. I want the 1.8T! :) But one thing that bothers me about it is that I hear turbos wear out quickly and are expensive to fix as well.

I also thought about a TDI because of the gas mileage. Consumer Reports just reviewed the Golf TDI 5-speed and they liked it enough to give it good marks.
    come on, the engine isn't bad. it's got acceptable power and good torque. it's better than any engine honda makes as far as drivability goes. maybe on the mk4 jettas it's bad because of the added weight but on mk3 jettas it seems adequate. i even have a slushbox with mine and i merge and keep up with traffic and cruise at 85 on the freeway with ease. then again, i am not into racing,etc.