Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• bpibpi Member Posts: 120
    The question is still:
    Why would someone go with a "regular" lease instead of the Driver's Option?

"(You) can trade the car anything without worrying like you do with a lease."
    What's that mean?
  • thomasibaileythomasibailey Member Posts: 21
    I live in northeast Ohio and bought a 2002 1.8T with the winter package trip tonic sunroof bright red for a purchase price of 21,776 with out our state tax. I can't keep the car from my wife now!
    Very secure feeling and will lead to speeding fines.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    With leases, you usually have to worry about paying fees and such. With the DA, you do not.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    are you mad??? ;)

is there a performance difference between 90 hp/150lb ft torque vs. 180hp/172 pd ft torque?

the answer is yes, of course. i would think it would have to be a rather large difference, especially with the automatic. the tdi automatic doesn't have tiptronic.
    The question is still:
    Why would someone go with a "regular" lease instead of the Driver's Option? (I'm trying to find the catch, but maybe there's free lunch afterall.)

I don't know if you consider an excessive-wear-and-tear charge a fee. I assume if you don't want to keep the car, there's no different between a lease and a Driver's Option contract regard that charge.
  • ray8216ray8216 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2002 vw jetta,with the sunroof,monsoon,and in galactic blue and black leather,so far so good ....but ive noticed that fuel economy is not the best, ive driven the car only for 500 miles...but its only averaging 275miles per tank, and also the tiptronic transmission doesnt shift very smoothly....ive been reading horror stories about the tiptronic...hope mines works well...also...Do you get free oil changes at the dealer,while under the warranty.....Beacause the dealer didnt mention anything to me......also they mentioned the warranty was 4years/50 k bumper to bumper....
  • sizzla123sizzla123 Member Posts: 18
    Ive decided to lease a Jetta. I've heard the monsoon system, and tho it sounds decent, its nothing special, I want some more high and richness, with a little more bass. As I'm leasing, and will need to return my car to stock shape before returning it, I'm trying to figure out what will be the best approach to upgrading the audio in the Jetta I get. First, in order to simplify the upgrade, is it better to get the stock radio or the monsoon? I already have a 10' subwoofer in a box, with a kenwood amp from a previous car. I dont think that will be a problem to install. What I'm worried about are the interior speakers. Are there aftermarket speakers that will easily fit in the front and back of the Jetta, without having to have to drill holes or make other modifications that wont let me return the car to stock when my lease is up? What about a headunit? I've heard things about the K-Wire. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    The free maintenance stopped with the 2002 models, because the basic warranty was extended from 2 years/24K to 4 years/50K. You have to pay for maintenance now.
    I average about 320 miles per tank in the 1.8T, and I drive alot of highway, but pretty aggressively. 275 is not far from normal. And you can use regular gas with no loss in performance as well.
  • xjoelxjoel Member Posts: 4
    I am planning on buying a Jetta between October and December. I know that that 2003's will be out in September but there still should be some 2002's left. How much should I pay for a GLS 1.8T w/Sport Luxury, Cold Weather, and 5-Speed Tiptronic? How much of a discount could I expect for a 02 when the 03's are out? Oh yeah, Reflex Silver or Galactic Blue
  • blackjetta18t1blackjetta18t1 Member Posts: 278
    I get dismal mielage with my GLS 2.0 auto. I aty best get 250 miles with the light being on for some 10-20 miles. I basically get 19 mpg but I do very little, leaning more to no highway driving and I am pretty aggressive but even when I'm not it has never been better than 20-21mpg. I thought something was wrong with it but I was told to just take the car on a lil trip with just highway driving to see what kind of mileage I get and I ended up getting 28mpg which is what VW says I should get so I guess it's just my driving style/habits(lots of short trips, stop and go).

For the stereo question, if you want to hook the stereo up, you are better off going with the stock because I have heard that the Monsoon is close to impossible to mess with. But I think the Monsoon has alot of bass, just not subwoofer kind of bass which I'm not a big fan of(I'm in highschool and the parking lot is filled with Accords and Civics, coffee can exhausts, lowered, tinted, decals, but no real performance mods...) But each his own...
  • thomasibaileythomasibailey Member Posts: 21
    I get 310 miles plus on a tank for my 1.8T/triptronic. I was told by the dealer to get good gas only. No not high octane, but a reliable source for fill ups will keep the 1.8T running great. Don't know where you live but in Ohio I found a difference between BP and Marathon, with Marathon being the better of the two. Yes I run only 87. Oil changes as you've heard are out. Just make sure the Jiffy Lube guy doesn't drain your transmission oil by mistake. Do it your self. I think I have 5-30 sitting in the garage for the next change at 12,000, but I believe 5-40 is fine too.
    Why are you changing the oil at 12K? The manual says every 5K miles.

I can understand about the cheap gas. If I get gas from Amoco or Hess in Maryland, the car goes through it quicker than if I get another station's gas. And NEVER use Texaco, it runs through the 1.8T like water! I actually have had better luck with the cheaper gases, believe it or not.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    I can only guess thomasibailey did a early oil change at say, 2000 miles, and doing 5000 mile oil changes ever since.

5w40 is the preferred weight, but it's harder to find.
  • nuridenuride Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2001 1.8t with 9,087 miles on it and I cannot decide whether to continue leasing this car or buy it now. My lease expires 2004. I love this car to death. I leased to begin with because it was cheaper for me financially, i know in the long run that buying is smarter. I am confused because there is one option missing on this car that i wanted and its leather! I have the lux package. I know it seems silly but i want to be fully satisfied. I have also noticed that this car does not hold its value very much and if i continue to lease it i can get rid of it easier true? Any response would be greatly appreciated whether negative or positive.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    ......but i seem to kill my brakes all of the time. The only car i ever had that had ZERO brake problems was a 96 Integra GS-R.

I have noticed lately that braking hard from 70-80 mph down to 5-10 mph (beltway traffic) causes my brake pedal to vibrate. It is not the ABS. I think my rotors are warping or something. This happens to all of my cars. Why? Am I doing something wrong?
  • hknyhkny Member Posts: 12
    The dealer couldn't fix the rattle problem on my Jetta. They said they have adjusted the doors as they thought the rattle is because of the gap between the door and the rubber sealing on the roof. It didn't help. Yesterday I bought silicone spray and applied it on the rubber sealing but it didn't help. I tried to get the silicone described in post #4145 from GM dealer but they said the part number (in the post) is not valid.

Do you guys have any idea how to get rid of rattles coming out from the weatherstrips.Thanks!
    I am telling you, talk to VWoA about your problems. I did, and they are taking care of everything. It might take a little to be satisfied, but you will be happy in the long run.
    If, when you apply the brakes between 70-80mph, the car shakes and it feels like it's got a "missing" spot in the brakes, the rotors are warped. You better get to the dealer about it, because rotors are only covered for 12K or one year. Also, when driving alot of stop-and-go, try not to hit puddles. If you hit a cool water puddle and cool that hot rotor down (from stopping alot), you warp it. Remember that!
    If the car does not have everything you want on it, then don't bother buying it. Trade it or sell it now if you want, and get exactly what you want. But of course if you can live with not having the leather, then I would say buy the car.
    I am thinking to give one more chance to the dealer to fix the problem. They said bring the car back if the rattles are still coming. I plan to take the car one more time for this, if they can't fix it I will call VW customer service.
    By the way, did you get yours fixed?
    Not yet. The shop foreman at the dealership where the car is ordered the special stuff for my car, then he had a death in his family. Right now, they are waiting for him to get back. I went through a family death (my mother) back in 2001, so I know how it can be. I told them to keep the car as long as they needed to. I also told them if it was not right when I did get it back, all Hell was going to break loose. I am not kidding, it surely will if I hear one little thing in that car after all this drama! :)

They have had the car for 3 weeks now, but I am still very much satisfied with their attentiveness to my needs and also to my problems. I have said this before, but I can't help to think it's the best service I have ever gotten from a carmaker, bar none. I have only had 5 cars, but it's still the best of those 5.
    3 weeks? don't you miss your turbo?I miss mine even when my wife and I exchange the cars some times. She has '02 Passat V6. Very nice engine, but I like my turbo more.
    I am having some serious turbo withdraw! :) I have a 2001 Beetle 2.0 loaner now. I had a Passat V6, but it used way too much gas for my commute, so I exchanged it for the Beetle. I still want my car back though. :)

Actually, I have a road trip to Chicago at the end of the month for Memorial Day. I wouldn't terribly mind keeping the mileage off my car and putting it on their loaner for that trip, but we shall see. I would definitely have to pack light though. :)
    You right. V6 Passat takes too much gas, I like the car though, very smooth nice ride.

My wife has black with beige leather, very difficult to keep clean.

When we were buying this for her the sales manager advised us to get 1.8t on Passat but we didn't like 4 cyl engines until I got my Jetta 1.8t.
    My Jetta felt more powerful to me than the Passat V6 loaner I had a couple weeks ago. It also uses alot less gas. I have the 2.slow Beetle now, and it uses the same amount of gas as my 1.8T Jetta, but with a LOT less power. :( My friend says the 2.0 in the Beetle sounds like a lawnmower engine. :)

I also think the Jetta's seats are the most comfortable between the Beetle, Passat, and Jetta. I hated the Passat's (cloth) seats, even with lumbar. They hurt my back badly after 30 mins. or so driving. I fiddled with them too, to no avail. The Beetle's seats are covered in leatherette, but not nearly the same as my Jetta's leather. Also, the Beetle's seats feel less padded than the Jetta's to me as well.

I hope the rubber treatment stuff for my car comes in soon. I can't wait to get my ride back! I am close to going to a dealer and test driving a 1.8T because of withdrawl! :)
    I agree. Comparing Passat and Jetta seats I notice that driver's seating position is better on Jetta, also the visibility is better. Passat has better leather quality though.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    edmunds shows a turbo jetta as 22/29
    and a v6 4motion passat as 19/26

did u really see that much difference ?

DL
    "They have had the car for 3 weeks now, but I am still very much satisfied with their attentiveness to my needs and also to my problems."
    So it's fine when they call you every other day and ask how you feel, but if they fail to fix it this time, all hell's going to break loose.

What's the problem with the part? Is it at the dealership right now? If not, is it even in stock in Germany?
    go to a BMW dealership and buy Gummi Phlege rubber treatment and rub that on. I do it every few months and it works great. I took my car in a few weeks ago for rattles that were nonexisten that day but they heard the creaking(I had not used the Gummi for a while) and they took care of it but it was back the next day where as the Gummi lasts sometime. I know they use the same time but maybe they are very thrifty whilst using it. I really layer it on thick.
    I to feel that brake pedal vibration when decelerating from higher speeds and right before I hit 12K miles I had VW look at the brakes and they said all was well and I have 13500ish right now(barely driven past month and a half). hope nothing is wrong with them but I do almsot all in town driving, and push the car fairly hard most but not all of the time. I have a 2001 GLS 2.0. Also with brakes, on a few occasions, I would be driving and begin to come a fairly quick stop from say 35-50mph where the road is pretty bumpy and rough and then the ABS will kick in. Is that normal? Does the ABS recall effect all 2001-2002 Jettas? I have not heard anythign and my cousin with a 2002 Jetta 1.8T hasn't either.
    I have noticed along with my friend who is an [non-permissible content removed] about it, that the front passenger sometimes loses its "CACHUNK!" sounds and instead is more like a cheaper, more Japanese sounding "Wonk." Any ideas why? But at least its not as bad as the Acura RSX. I closed the door on that once and the wonk was high pitched and echoed throughout the car.
  • galogvigalogvi Member Posts: 41
    You can wait around like Vocus for the dealer to order some parts from Germany, or you can do as I have done and go to your local hardware store and get some Xtreme Rubber Weather seal (3/16'x1/8'x17'). It works great and gives you a rattle free Jetta. Just tape it around the perimeter of each door so it contacts the frame's rubber seal. I highly recommend it!
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    "go to a BMW dealership and buy Gummi Phlege rubber treatment and rub that on."

Gross!
  • coolwhitecoolwhite Member Posts: 14
    Got it from the GM dealer in Windsor, Ontario. Its called "Silicone Emulsion" 1#10953014, 50ml blue/white container, 3.5cm. dia. X 9cm high with red screw cap and bulb applicator inside. If you still can't find it, let me know and for $7.50Cdn. plus shipping I'll sent you new container.
    They said it's a rubber treatment, but it's very hard to come by. They have a BMW dealership and service there too (big dealer in Baltimore), so maybe that's what they are going to use. I am not sure. I am happy with the loaner right now, so I will get the car back when they are done with it.

And if they do not get it right this time, THEN I will be VERY, VERY MAD! I told them that already too, and was not kidding around about it.
    I drove the Passat for a week, it was a 2001 model V6 front drive automatic. I spent $50 in gas (regular, mind you) in 780 miles. I drove the Beetle about the same amount this past week or so, and spent $35. That's a pretty big difference, considering I commute ~100 miles daily and enjoy driving alot.
    Maybe some of that gummi stuff would work on taking that "death rattle" out of your Protege. :)
    That "death rattle" is normal. Your Jetta does it too. It's caused by oil not getting to the valve train right away on cold startup.
    The only thing I have heard my Jetta do (and have stood next to it when starting it MANY times) is this whirring kinda sound. It sounds NOTHING like my 2001 Protege when I started it up. It doesn't sound like a tractor.
    Whether it sounds like a tractor or not is irrelevent. It may not be as pronounced as the Protege 2.0L but it still has valve train noise immediately after cold start up. How can you start the car and stand next to it at the same time anyway?
    You can lean out of the car and listen to it, because I usually stand outside and have a smoke before leaving. When it's cold out, I start the car beforehand to warm it a little bit.
  • nic74nic74 Member Posts: 1
    My outside driver door liner strip, came off and the dealer wants to charge me almost $300.00 to buy a new one. Does anyone know a strong enough glue, or adhesive that will work?
  • catygeecatygee Member Posts: 1
    I'm having trouble with my 2001 Jetta 1.8T, manual transmission. I have 13k miles and already I'm told the clutch and flywheel need to be replaced, and since this is considered wear & tear it would not be covered under the warranty anymore. Now I don't drive it like an idiot and have never heard of a clutch going out so soon. After a little badgering VW said they'd pay for 1/2 the repair cost, but I'm still not satisfied. Any advice out there?
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    While your putting house door seal on your car, why not grab some miracle grow and plant some flowers in there too....im not being a smart a** but that just sounds ridiculous to have to do all that.

Discount tire has a commercial with a little old lady, and they say , if your not happy feel free to bring it back and she slings the tire through the window, thats what i would be doing if i had to put house parts on my car.

my 02c
    DL
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    That's nuts...keep pushing. Obviously the clutch didn't JUST go out. They put defective parts in your car. complain, complain, complain and if that doesn't work, the words, "My lawyer" slip out. :)
    It doesn't do it for that long, maybe a couple seconds after a cold start up. Listen for it sometime.
  • vtripicchiovtripicchio Member Posts: 11
    I too have the rattles on my 2.0 gls. After a number of trips to the dealer, where I explained to them the "foil" tape repair, they ordered and applied the tape. The silicone works, but the rattles come back. So this "magic" tape, it turns out, is like slightly thicker scotch tape. What solved my problem was my own solution....Go to home depot to the weather-seal area. There is clear tape that is similar to "packing tape", but slightly more rubber-like. Cut the tape to a custom width and length, and completely cover the infamous rubber strip where you would normally treat with silicone. This tape seems stronger than the official VW foil, and works great. (for the creaking anyway) On the passanger door, there is still some rattle where the back part of the upper door hits the body..It sounds like I may try that extreme rubber seal for that part. Maybe VW should give a Home Depot git cert to new jetta owners...the dealers are clue-less with the door rattles...this board seems to offer the best solutions.
    Contact VW to see if they'll give you a reward. Maybe they'll issue a TSB with your name on it.:)
    who are you talking to?