Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70

Comments

• tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,240
    Dealer replaced the sensor AND the coolant tank too. They confirmed the sensor float was sticking. Duh. They also did the three recalls on the turn signals, headlights, and headlight wiper stops. No surprises and professionally handled.
    Appears I'm still the only one that has had problems with the sun visors. Tmart
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    No Volvo loaners? My father has a 2001 C70 and he ALWAYS gets a Volvo as a loaner car. What is up with the dealership you are taking it to? Not good!

Also, I am an auto broker and I just got a 99 Volvo C70 LPT Conv. here for sale. 30K miles, Dark Blue/Silver/Blue Top and we want $31,995 for the vehicle. We are in Southern California.

Obi
  • dbomzdbomz Member Posts: 4
    any comments about this engine in the c70? it is the same one that is in the s60, which i am thinking of getting. i know volvo use to have many problems with the manual engines, but that was a couple of years ago now.

thanks
  • schuhcschuhc Member Posts: 333
    I've got 21,500 on my C70HT and it's still a dream. Looking at the specs of the top of the line S60, I am under the impression that it has the same engine that is in the C70 HT. However, I am married and thus have an automatic. Now I have to figure out a way to get the HP upgrade from IPD without her finding out. Supposedly it is due out in November.
  • xsaint33xsaint33 Member Posts: 2
    I HAD MY ENGINE LIGHT COME UP ON 15,000 MILES. BUT THE NEVER TOLD ME WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS. I LOVE THE CAR. SMOOTH RIDE SPECIAL ON THE FREEWAY WHEN YOUR GIN ABOUT 110.BUT I THINK THEY SHOULD OF MADE THIS CAR REAR WHEEL DRIVE. THATS THE ONLY THING SUCKS.
  • soledocsoledoc Member Posts: 52
    I think I've finally got this engine light problem licked. I must say I was shaking when I filled up the other day and was replacing the gas cap. I must have spent 5 minutes making sure I got it right. I drove away from the pump (I put in Amoco ultimate...since gas prices are dropping and this engine deserves it) fearing that check engine light would come and and gues what....it DIDN'T!!!!

I've got a 5 speed manual in a 2001 C70 coupe and I absolutely love the drive and the look of the car. I was pulled up beside a MB 320CLK today and I liked my car better. Although someday I'm sure I'll get a MB coupe. But not until they come out with a manual.
    I believe the engine light comes on at 15k because it needs its first service at that time. I think mine came on at 15,300.

CLK:
    When I was looking at cars I compared the 320 the C70 and the S4.
    Didn't want 4 doors and no one can tell me that the CLK drives $5,000 than the Volvo. I didn't check the seats on the CLK but my Father in law has the S500 and I hate the way that Driver's seat is. I can't imagine that there are seats any better than what Volvo has.
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    are the best!!
    Ditto on the seats. No doubt they are the best. My wife even admits they are better than the ones in her Lexus ES300. They feel good at first, but after an hour, my butt starts to hurt. Not so with my C70. They just get better and better. Tmart
  • xsaint33xsaint33 Member Posts: 2
    DOES ANY ONE HAVE A SPARE C70 FACTORY ALARM REMOTE THAT WILL DONATE IT TO ME ;) OR EVEN SELL IT. I LOST MINE. I REALLY NEED IT PEASE IF YOU HAVE ONE EMAIL ME AT XSAINT33X@AOL.COM

THANKS ;)
  • marthacmarthac Member Posts: 3
    Is anyone having a problem with the windows on the C70 convertible seeming "loose." It started as an occasional problem, now it is constant. The dealership says they cannot fix it. Of course, when the top is down or the windows are down, it is not a problem. It's like the windows don't fit tightly enough at the top. The service manager says if they tighten them, there is risk of water leaks. Anyone having a similar problem?
    Sorry, Martha, I've had no problems with "loose" windows on my '99 convertible. Tmart
  • dfwk2500dfwk2500 Member Posts: 68
    We have not had a problem with "loose" windows on our 99 convertible. However, for a while we had a problem when the kids would closed the passenger door just right the window would hang up on the outer edge of the roof leaving is slightly pushed out. You would hear the noise as soon as you started driving and if you would roll the window down and back up it would reseat. First time the dealer "could not duplicate" but on pickup we closed the door a few times and demonstrated the problem. They readjusted the passenger door slightly and we have no more problems.
    o.. Maybe I didn't describe the problem I am having with the windows on my 2001 C70 convertible very well. Where the front and rear windows meet on the rubber weather stripping and where they both meet the top weather stripping, the squeaking noise is constant and has become almost unbearable. Surely I'm not the only one having this problem! Help -- I love my car, but this is driving me nuts!
    I'm going to go take a peek this weekend. One of our friends is having a birthday party out in the suburbs this weekend so I'm going to stop by the bmw dealership to see if they have any in stock. At 333hp I have to see what the inside looks like. No danger of getting rid of my C70 though because Lisa refuses to drive a stick in the city. Looking forward to IPD putting out the 40hp upgrade in November. That should quell any desire to think about the new m3.
    Well. Went and looked at it on Saturday and was not blown away. The styling is pretty much consistent with their current styles. Trunk space seemed admirable but not up to the C70. Only thing that was neat about the console/dashboard was the fact that the speedometer went up to 160. And while it was cool the way it was laid out from the driver's seat (felt like a cockpit) I think I don't need to say anything about the seats vs. the Volvo.

All in all, while it may be nice to have a 6 speed manual and 333horses....
    I am going to wait for the chip from IPD and be satisfied with 280hp.
    Has anyone had to (or just wanted to) condition or seal their convertible top yet? The local dealer was clueless, but Porsche and Jaguar (top material similar to Volvo) recommend some type of waterproofer on a regular basis. Does anyone have any experience with this? Our top has been in service 30 months and still seems fine, but I don't want to wait too long if something needs to be done as a preventative.
    Bill, interesting post. This is news to me too. Have hear nothing about "conditioning/sealing" the top. Don't recall anything about it in the owners manual. Would seem to me that anything sealing the top would damage the fabric when the top is raised or lowered. Tmart
    Tommy:

There are several old discussions relating to caring for various tops here on edmunds, but no one has specifically mentioned the volvo top. It appears to be a canvas top with some type of scotchguard to make it waterproof. There are dozens are articles like the one below about how to generally treat tops all over the place, and some of them make sense, but I can't figure out what if anything needs to be, or should be done on these tops.

http://www.carcareonline.com/convert_tops.html

I'm curious to know if anyone is having a problem with the weather stripping on the windows. Mine constantly rattle. The Volvo engineer has been here. He suggested some type of chemical lubricant, but it didn't work. He seems to think it may be associated with the heat. He also told me that there have been other complaints about it, specifically in Florida. Surely there is a way to fix this!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ....but I'm here to announce the new Volvo Owners club now available on Edmunds.com Owner's Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in CC&S.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • aegiraegir Member Posts: 2
    After 35,000 miles my '98 C70 needs new tires. Am a bit upset 17" Michelin pilot mxx-3s only got me this far and run $218 a tire to replace. Read all the old 1999 posts, how do people feel about their tires 2 yrs later?? I want a tire that will easily go 45-55,000 miles and doesn't sound like a cement mixer. Esp interested in satisfaction of dunlop, bridgestone etc. I am leaving SoCal next summer to move back to VA or MD and want an all season tire.
    Sorry I can't be of help. My '99 C70 convertible came with Pirelli 235R45s. Was told by a tire dealer that I could expect 20-25K if properly taked care of. Your 35k sounds fantastic. Both the tire dealer and Volvo dealer said the car was made for the high performance low profile tire and didn't recommend changing to another tire. Just repeating what they said. Tmart
    I'm not going to be of any help either. I have the Michelin Pilots as well and am going to have to replace mine soon (24,000) but that is because of Chicago driving so kind of expected. Mine are supposed to be $230/tire but I think mine are SFX
    Can't help much. Our 99 had the 16" Pirelli's. They were gone at 25k. Replaced with Michelin. Seems like a better ride, handling and wet traction with the Michelins.
  • soledocsoledoc Member Posts: 52
    I just hit 5,000 miles on my '01 C70 coupe (manual, nautic blue/beige). I'm really enjoying it except for the first two weeks when I had the check engine light come on twice!! Make sure to put the gas cap on correctly everyone!
    My question is how often do you change the oil. Can you really go 7,500 miles like the owner's manual says? Any experiences or recommendations for earlier changes. My understanding is because they use a synthetic oil which supposedly doesn't break down as quickly as the old oils.
    For what it's worth, I trust Volvo, changing at 7.5k and am using regular oil, not synthetic. Plus, Consumer Reports confirms there is no real reason to change at 3k, except more oil is sold. Tmart
    I usually change oil by a combination of the mileage and appearance of the oil. Our '99 has been changed about every 7000 miles. The only exception is that unless the oil is fairly fresh, I will change it around mid June to get fresh oil in when we get over 100 degrees. I figure the outside heat combined with turbo warrants the extra precaution. The dealer we visit does a synthetic blend, which has seemed to hold up very well. We are at 30k and have had no problems. The only caveat is on the two occasions where I have had to add oil between changes, I have added full synthetic. When I am only buying one quart, the price difference between the blend and the full is insignificant.
  • rd_volvord_volvo Member Posts: 34
    I change my oil every 2500 om my 99'hpt
    while changing the oil filter every
    other change. I found that I push my
    turbo pretty good and the appearence
    of the oil gets dark at about 2500.
    [ all my driving is city ]
    So if you have a turbo I would change
    it more often especially if your doing
    city driving. If I was doing lot of
    highway driving I would probably change
    at 5000.

RD
  • c702000c702000 Member Posts: 39
    Volvo did not work hard on improvements or changes since the car came out. I had the C70 2000 coupe low pressure, great car, really no problems after 25000 miles. Decided to have a change and traded in for the new Mercedes C230 Coupe, six speed rear wheel drive, wanted a little more sport, with safety. My C70 is still on their sales lot (after two months) bright red and perfect with upgraded radio for only $26,800.00. Except for the convertibles, the C70 is not much in demand and I noticed that the Mercedes CLK has the same problem. Big coupes I guess are not in great demand. Think Volvo has a good idea but never really tried to make it better. But I WILL NEVER SELL MY S60T, ONE GREAT CAR and it's red.
    REGARDS TOM C70 production will stop this December, so says the dealer. Volvo wake-up
  • arbabcarbabc Member Posts: 36
    I own a '01 XC. I has 300 miles on it now. When do you think I should change the oil? And filter? What do I need, and is it pretty straight forward? Thanks.
    What do you need? You need to read your service manual and do it when it says to! As info, this is the C70 board, NOT the Cross Country. Tmart
    Well, it finally came on. It's not the gas cap, I've triple checked it. I've got about 1.5k miles to go until the next service, at 22.5k. When I called the Service Manager, he said, since I was having no other performance problems, I could just wait until the next service if I didn't mind the light, or I could bring it in now. Would appreciate your experiences, and are there any problems in waiting, or should the C70 be taken in now? Thanks, Tmart
    Still have not had any problems with the check engine light (since our one issue back in early 1999) on our C70, but we just did the 30k service a little early (at 28.5k) when the battery failed last month. We also theorized we would be ready for the "cooler" weather. I'm not sure I would be comfortable driving with the light on for fear of doing more harm than good. For instance, if a sensor is off and therefore changes the fuel mixture or timing. Too much unburned gas will destroy parts of the emissions system or even other sensors. Likewise if the sensor is picking up a knock or ping. Since you should be able to get a loaner, I'd go ahead and make an appointment and get it in. Whether or not to get the 22.5k service at the same time is just a question of convenience. Unless your last service was fairly recent, I'd probably go ahead and get the oil changed a little early anyway as we shift away from the excessively hot summer.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Hi all,
    I don't personally own a C70, but my girlfriend's aunt does and we are housesitting for them. Here's the problem (I wasn't there so I don't have all the details):
    My g/f went to start up their 1999 C70 this morning. Apparently the check engine light came on and the dashboard lights kept on going on and off. I think she also said that there was a strong gas odour.
    Is this problem the same as described in previous posts (about not turning the cap tight enough)? I hope that's all it is.

BTW, I've driven the car before. Very nice car...too bad it's an automatic though. I just can't get over how bad the rear/side vision is b/c of the convertible top!

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Protege_fan
    Protege, the gas cap not properly on can cause the engine light to come on, but the flashing dash lights sound like something else. I'd take it to the dealer to have it checked out. In my case, other than the light being on, the car runs fine, no ping, hestiation, no decrease in gas mileage, no odors. You're right about the visibility to the rear and side, but it's easily fixed by dropping the top. My motto is "no rain, no top"! Tmart
    Llo. A little tough to drop the top in -35 C winter weather!!

BTW, my g/f says as the car was idle on the car, the rpm's were going up and down and the dash lights were dimming and brightening in sync w/ the idle going up and down. I asked about the gas cap, but she's not sure because they filled it before she got out to their place.
    Any different ideas now?
    Thanks all.

Pro_fan
    Well, I tightened the gas cap as per the advice found here. That seems to have fixed it! Perhaps there was too much air getting into the tank, thereby causing the unusual idle.
    She thinks the dash lights flickering on and off was due to somebody leaving the lights on inside, draining the battery.
    Anyway, thanks for the advice all. Much appreciated.

Protege_fan
    Darn!
    After reading Prot_Fan I was all set to ask him how close he was to 'Devil's Tower' given the flashing and revving.

BTW - Yes, I realize he is rather far given the fact that it sounds like he is closer to Ostrov Kolguev.
    Just a mini-update, my g/f took the car to the dealership for service because her Aunt said it wasn't doing the revving before. I'll let you all know what happened as soon as we find out.
    Don't worry...I lurk on many boards here at Edmund's....

Pro_fan
    Just a reference to "Close Encounters". I would suspect that the dealership would state that the revving was due to the gas cap and any vaccum that is supposed to be created by having it on properly.
    Hey all. The car has been fixed (at no-charge b/c it's still under warranty).
    Here is what they did:
    1) Check Engine/Lambda Light on
    -Oxygen sensor replace
    -Heated Oxygen Sens
    -Gasket
    -Engine Control module fault tracing
    -Diagnostic Trouble Code (B)
    2) Check Engine light on again, after car sits o/night tech 60 just install amm for same problem
    -Variable Valve Timing Solenoid replace
    -Solenoid
    -Engine Control module fault tracing
    -Diagnostic Trouble Code (B)
    3) Rough Idle cold - dash lights dim and brighten w/ engine rpm
    -Diagnostic trouble codes (DTCS) reading/resetting VST/VCT (B)
    -Software control module downloading (B)
    -Upgrade ECM BP

That's it. I'm not overly car-knowledgeable, so I'm not sure why they did some things, like replacing the solenoid, but it appears to be working now and it was at no-cost, which is always a good thing. Incidentally, I know that with other manufacturers would charge a customer even if the car was still under warranty. Sounds like good customer service at this dealership, if you ask me!
    Thanks again all.

Protege_fan
    So after getting the car back for a day, the check engine light as come on yet again! They have ruled out the gas cap as the culprit for the problem. Not too sure what it is, but the owner's are back, so hopefully they will get it looked after.

PF
  • bobmetro1bobmetro1 Member Posts: 1
    I have '99 C70. Love the car but have had the usual engine lite problem with the gas cap. I have also had my sun visors replaced due to cracking of the shafts. My present problem concerns the steering. While making left turns the steering wheel seems to lock for a split second while I am turning it, then continues normally. The dealer says that this is normal. I've been driving for 35 years and have never experienced this. Can anybody shed some lite on this for me? thanks
  • jcarpijcarpi Member Posts: 17
    Just wanted to let you know that at 20,500 miles, my two front Michelin Pilots were too worn to pass inspection. Let me say first of all, that I do not hot rod my car, and drive a mix of city and road conditions in the Mid-Atlantic region. So, I'm a little disappointed in the poor performance when it comes to longevity. But, thanks to all of your previous comments here, I was adamant about not putting the Pirellis on, and am putting new Michelins on. If I have to spring for $500 (2x$250)to continue the excellent performance of this car, that's what I'll do. But I'd appreciate any help in trying to locate these tires cheaper for the future.
    Janice, am a little confused. You got poor mileage from the Michelin Pilots and are going to put Michelins back on? My convertible came with 17" Pirelli P6000's. Went to Discount Tire and bought their certificates, approx. $150 for four. At the time, I was told the original tires could last 20-25k "if cared for properly", meaning rotating every 5k miles, etc. At approx. 18k I had a flat in the right rear tire. When I went back to Discount for the free repair, it was discovered the two rear tires had cracks in the sidewall. Both tires were replaced free. The front tires were OK. At 20k back in for the free rotation and the front tires were getting some small cracks too. They, too, were replaced free. So now I've got a new set of tires at 20k for $150. Needless to say, certificates were bought for the replacements too. Granted they are the P6000's, and the expected mileage is still going to be 20-25k.

Suggest you give Discount Tire a call, if they are in your area. Have always received good service from them. I thinks their web address is tires.com, but don't hold me to it. Tmart
  • jcarpijcarpi Member Posts: 17
    Mark,
    Having read all the bad publicity here about the Pirellis, I was reluctant to change to them. The Michelins had outstanding performance for the time that I had them. I also think they wore out because I didn't rotate them as often as I should have, and my front end may have been out of alignment. I am watching my new ones to see how they do.
  • mardukesmardukes Member Posts: 1
    Anyone out there know of hardtops for the C70 convertables? Tough driving one around Chicago this time of year.
    Do you mean a removeable hardtop like the 55-57 TBird? Never heard of such a thing for the C70, but sounds interesting. Do you have the heated seats? Would think they'd be really good in C-town. Tmart
    Mardukes:

You would be testament to the reason I bought the coupe. I have to admit though, we really had a better spring/summer this year than normal which made me wish that I had gotten the convertible. AND WE ACTUALLY HAD SOME SEMBLANCE OF AN AUTUMN THIS YEAR!!!! (About 7 days worth). Out of curiosity, was Wednesday's 1-3 inches somewhat of a stimulus for your post?

Know nothing of a removable hardtop. Nothing @ ipdusa.com nor volvocars.com