Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Funny face. :)
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    Egad, you people are evil. Toyota?! Why not just tear out my heart right now? :) I want whisper quiet and fun. It's a pipe dream...

As for the protect thing...sorry but in the Lockean mold the government exists to encourage commerce, provide infrastructure and protect private property (that doesn't mean camping by it 24/7 - it means an effective military, police force, laws, prisons, punishments, etc.). The cops can't be around my house all the time but they can patrol often, they can aggresively follow-up on crimes and prosecutors can send up the baddies for a long, long time...all of this helps to protect my property. The mere presence of a cop is only a cog in the machine.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Let's leave be the debate over ethics and the role of the police department.

If you really want to pursue it, why don't you go to the Meet the Members topic in your Owners Club -- any subject is welcome there (of course subject to your Membership Agreement).

We need to remember that this is not a social chat board for folks who happen to (or happen not to) own a Jetta.

It is a Town Hall discussion provided for folks to discuss their *vehicles* and directly-related issues, as well as a place for folks interested in the Jetta to ask questions and find a knowledge base.

On the other hand, you are welcome to use the Meet the Members discussion as a social chat board -- that is exactly its purpose! :)

Thanks for your understanding.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    THANKS PAT!!! I was biting my tongue....
  • winsanwinsan Posts: 35
    I guess 2.0 engine tends to 'consume' oil, although it varies from engine to engine .. heck, I don't know why ...

My engine worked fine until about 9k miles. That's when I had to add some oil (around 10 cu. in). My friend's car consumed more oil when it was 9k.

I guess you just have to wait for some more miles. Just watch the oil stick!
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    "add some oil (around 10 cu. in.) What does that mean?
    anonymous, my previous car was 1990 mazda 323 hatchback, and I had to replace the clutch cable every two year. When I first got that experience, I was in nowhere neighborhood at night, and I had to use 2nd gear all way long to my office.
    Another time the ignition system was suddenly dead when I took off from the stop light (at night also ...). Those two happened when it was 6 years old. And the next year, the front left suspension was broken so that I had to tow the car to my friend's shop.

So can I say that mazda is not dependable?
    I checked the oil stick and I found that it needed more oil. I added around 10 cu.in oil - I used valvoline 5w30 and there is indicator at the side of the bottle.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Again, folks, you may take the ethics, police, door ding, etc. conversation to Meet the Members, but it needs to stop in this discussion.

Winsan, it seems to me that you may say your one Mazda was not dependable, and leave it at that. Somehow mention of Mazda anything throws this discussion into a turmoil, so if you have further comments to make, please go to an appropriate Mazda discussion or comparison discussion.

And you lurkers wanting to defend the Mazda, just skip it this time, okay. ;)

Thanks.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    I don't know what you're talking about. I'm here to talk about my (by association :) ) '91 Jetta GL and VW in all its glory.
    sorry pat!
    I went to lunch with a friend today. I ended up picking him up at his job, because I had the AC on in my car already and it's like 100 here today. :) So we came out of the restaurant, and I had to enter this busy 2-lane highway with a speed limit of ~50 (people end up going more though). I got an open space, and tromped it. My friend was like, "dang, lemme pick myself up out of the back seat". :) He was like, what do you have under the hood in this thing? That was too funny, and I didn't even floor the pedal either. :)
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    I really need to drive the 180 hp 1.8T. I have driven the 150 hp version and it's quick, but nothing spectacular. I guess the turbo cars that I have had experience with aren't fair to compare to the Jetta 1.8T (modified GN and a couple souped up Eclipses). The Eclipses were really fast, but they had that Mitsubishi-ness to them. The GN was plain old nuts with a turbo that will split your eardrums open, and dare I say it, almost TOO fast. That car could literally put you in the back seat. It was so frightening, that they could include that GN at any Six Flags amusement park and make their roller coasters feel like the Ferris wheel.
  • jborden1jborden1 Posts: 12
    Well we picked up my sister's new silver jetta 1.8t. It sure is fun to drive, and I was just in it at night and the bluish dash lights are awesome. It feels comparable to my dad's lexus GS430. I know that's in a different league but when you push the pedal it feels very similar. One thing I am confused about is that the audi tt with the same engine only has to have oil changed every 10,000 miles while the jetta is 5,000, I believe?

Anyway I hope the jetta holds up well because my sister does not take care of anything.
    I need to drive the 150hp version of the 1.8T. I keep hearing these things about it, so I need to find a used Jetta and try one out to compare.
  • mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    Can you get an 03 Jetta GLS TDI with factory leather and no roof? In the sedan? In the wagon? I hear that 03 GLS wagons come standard with the roof now. Is this true and is it also true for the sedans? I don't want the roof because I like the extra head room. Thanks.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    For 02, in order to get the leather package, you gotta get the luxury package.....so for 03....probably going to be the same
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    In 2002 you had the option of getting leather without having luxury package on both the Jetta Sedan and Wagon. I have seen several of these with my own eyes. For 2003 the GLS comes standard with sunroof. If you want leather then you must get GLS trim with the standard sunroof.
  • justinjustin Posts: 1,918
    with the TT you get a BMW-esque oil change interval that is suited to your driving. it tells you when you need an oil change based on your driving style i believe.

all for a VW engine. fancy!

my instructor who drives a 2000 528 AND a 98 LS400 told me today that he is looking at a commuting car, and that after seeing my car, he is smitten. all that luxury and safety for $20k. he doesn't even know how it is possible. of course, i said he can have it - i will be glad to take the used LS400 off his hands.

BLUE - talk about silent cars. driven the granddaddy Lexus?

also - just helped a friend out of a Mini and into a Golf. saved him thousands, got him better performance, and blue lights. my good deed for the year :)

this board is busy busy busy all of the sudden. whats up? i can't keep up!
    Huh? Doesn't the mini easily out-handle a Golf? And I know the Golf doesn't come with a good engine anymore (no 1.8T in 02), so how is it a better performer?
    It isn't. You have remember that Justin is posting from another planet.
    Golf is available with great engine. The 1.9L TDI. It is a Wards ten best engine and achieves 49 MPG compared to 37 MPG of the MINI. Golf has 155 lb/ft of torque and the MINI only 110. And the Golf has 18 cu ft of cargo capacity (more than even the Jetta) and the MINI only has 5 cu ft.
    PERFORMANCE. What is performance to you? When I think of performance, I don't think of luggage space and fuel mileage. I guess I'm just crazy. Using that criteria for performance, the Porsche 911 twin turbo must be one of the WORST performing cars out there.
    Performance is the manner in which something functions. To quote the dictionary "The way in which someone or something functions: The pilot rated the airplane's performance in high winds.".
    MPG is one aspect of performance, cargo capacity is one aspect of performance, top speed is one aspect of performance, skidpad and etc., etc...
    TDI has excellent off line performance due to high torque at low RPM, will go 110 MPH, and still achieve over 40 MPG. The difference between going 0-60 in 7 seconds or 10 seconds is not the most important criteria in purchasing a vehicle for me. Taking off from a stoplight, merging on an onramp, passing, cruising at 85 MPH are all functions that are performed w/o any difficulty in a TDI. I used to ride a VFR 750 and drive a Capri RS with modified 5.0 so I am well aware of high speed performance. For the most part I believe it belongs on the track.
    The 1.8T is a very nice motor but I have the same sheetmetal as the 1.8T Jetta on my TDI and I can travel 700 miles plus on a single tank of fuel. And the fuel is $0.24/gal less expensive than premium. I can travel just as fast thru a corner as a 1.8T, you can accelerate faster though I expect I will catch you at the next stoplight in city driving and in highway driving unless a 1.8T is driven at greater than 110 MPH then the TDI will be able to keep up.
    2.0 is likely adequate for most people, even if this topic does have a majority of 1.8T owners. Most of which have rattles which both my Jetta and Golf do not have.
  • justinjustin Posts: 1,918
    just FYI, in 02 you can get a 2 door Golf (not a REAL GTI in my opinion) with the 1.8T. in my friends case, he got a 4 door 5 speed 2.0 Golf that accelerates within seconds of a 115hp (base) Mini. It just happens to cost several thousands of dollars less, and as far as handling goes, i know that the Mini is based on BMW specs, and that makes YOU salivate, but not everyone agrees with you on that. :) my friend wanted good performance and nice looks. he decided the Mini isn't a car you can live with in two years after they are considered "over"....the Golf isn't gorgeous, but it will age well. i tend to agree. the Mini, right now, just isn't worth the cash. maybe in awhile when they stop getting MSRP.

the Mini is just like the PT Cruiser and Beetle. A gimmick. that gets old in less than a year. in my opinion it is a neat little car, but they are already EVERYWHERE i look around here. not unique anymore. and that is really all it has going for it, in my opinion. in fact, a Golf is much more rare it seems. everyone has Jettas :) not to mention, in my opinion again, the Mini interior is straight out of Pontiac school of design. too round, too much shiny stuff. seems like it is better put together, with a step up in quality, but that isn't saying much. why can't all car makers offer quality and functionality and simple style like VW, at a VW price?

newcar -

lay off the (not so) smart remarks. they make you look extremely "slow" - we haven't been in "attack" mode in almost two weeks! get with the program. even BLUEGUY and I are playing nicely. :)

just some friendly advice....
    The mini performs better than a Golf 2.0L. Period. How it looks, whether or not it's a fad, etc. is irrelevent.

moparbad- When most people think of performance with regards to automobiles, they don't think of fuel mileage or cargo capacity. You chose aspects of performance that would put the Golf ahead of the Mini and would make the statement "got him better performance" true. Well, most people don't think of performance that way which is the reason you don't hear Civic Hybrids and Golf TDI's refered to as "performance" cars. You know exactly what I am talking about and I have a feeling that you are arguing for the sake of arguing.

"For the most part I believe it (performance) belongs on the track."

And you belong in a TDI Golf.....
    >>Golf is available with great engine. The 1.9L TDI. It is a Wards ten best engine and achieves 49 MPG compared to 37 MPG of the MINI. Golf has 155 lb/ft of torque and the MINI only 110. And the Golf has 18 cu ft of cargo capacity (more than even the Jetta) and the MINI only has 5 cu ft. <<

Okey dokey. To each his own, man. When I think performance I think of something quick off the line, that has some punch and that doesn't weigh down the vehicle. TDI's have some pull but what's the 0-60 on one of those? 9-10-11 seconds? C'mon my 91 Stanza did better than that. And while I may care a bit about gas mileage, when it comes to gas or performance, performance always wins for me. I can stop for gas more often...

Justin, FYI in 02 you CANNOT get a Golf with a 1.8T. You can get a GTI, but not a Golf. 01 was the last year of the 1.8T Golf. http://www.edmunds.com/new/2002/volkswagen/golf/index.html Check out the page with all the Golf versions. No 1.8T. Just the TDI and the 2.0.

I do agree about the mini being the flavor of the month. And I think it's too small. But from everything I've heard, it handles as if it were glued to the road. And with the S model it'll hit 60 in under 7 seconds. Not too shabby.

• fhohiofhohio Posts: 10
    Our 2001 Jetta uses around a quart of oil every 1500 miles or so. I'm not certain if VW has changes the piston rings or not regarding this issue. If you have a brand new Jetta 2000 (miles) as the one posting indicated, this issue may have been resolved after our was built (May 2001). This appears to be a common complaint with the 2 liter engine. There is a technical service bulletin out on this topic. but it applies to all models, not a specific engine.
    VW considers a quart every 1000 miles to be "normal", so if you aren't using more than that they won't do anything to help you.