Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    i must have missed something. you are having engine issues now? sorry to hear that. next time i am up your way i am stopping by. i need to look at this car of yours ;) do you run a taxi service in it? so abusive....haha. kidding.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    there's no crappy window issue or any other kind of quality issue with jettas. never has been or never will be. they're all perfect and anybody whose says otherwise are part of the conspiracy to dethrone the mighty jetta from its place at top of the mountain.
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    Well, I guess I have to take my wife's Jetta to the VW dealer, as much as I hate that (they asked my wife about what color and kind of underwear she had on).

I have tried over half a dozen different places online, but all paths keep pointing back to axle beam=dealer work.

Bummer!
  • spotsvr6spotsvr6 Member Posts: 1
    I thought I would add to the window regulator thread that has come up here. The driver’s window on my 2001 GLX (assembled 03/01) took a dive about 3 weeks ago. It was of course 100 degrees that day.

All my dealer could do at the time was replace the broken plastic clips with new plastic clips. I asked when they could get a set of the redesigned metal ones for me and I was told it would be awhile because there were over 500 backorders “in the system”. I called VWofA and they told me due to limited availability only 5 sets a day of the redesigned parts were being shipped to dealers and VW was still trying to decide if this issue warranted a recall.

Other than this annoying problem I have enjoyed 18,000 trouble free miles save for 3 intermittent rattles. I am even getting decent mileage considering the engine: 23-24 mpg w/5 speed.
  • gperrgperr Member Posts: 157
    2001 Jetta GLS VR6---

I have been driving around with duct tape on my front driver's side window for 3 weeks. Still no new regulator/clips in at my dealer. I have 12,000 miles on the car. I know this is going to happen again. VW is certainly loosing me as a customer. I have seen at least 4 other Jetta's with tape all over them as well.

When the parts come in, my dealer had better be able to remove all the tape marks from my windows, paint, and rubber trim.

Anyone in the Southern NJ area looking for a slightly used 2001 Jetta GLS VR6 5-spd, sport lux package, cold weather package, side airbags, indash cd, Galactic Blue/gray cloth, with Audi TT pedals and OEM sungalss holder??? First $18,500 takes it. Time for me to pick up a G35.
  • radiocityradiocity Member Posts: 1
    hello all,
    I am hoping someone out there could offer me some advice. I am contemplating buying a 2002 Jetta 4 dr Sedan GL model that has 8000 miles on it. The dealer had been using it for a loaner car. I am having a hard time finding web sites that are posting USED prices for 2002 models. Does anyone have any ideas on a fair price for this car or other web sites besides KBB that I might reference? The dealer wants 15K for it - does that seem fair? I am torn at the moment between this car and a 1999 toyota camry with 38,000 miles on it. The appeal for me with the jetta is that it will still be under warranty and I like the style, though I have never owned a jetta so I don't know as much about their reliability! MANY THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE!!
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    You could use the TMV from this site (Edmunds.com) to see what they consider to be the "True Market Value" of a used 2002 Jetta.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    You can't price used 2002 models at Edmunds either. TMV for used cars only goes up to the preceding model year, 2001.

Kelley Blue Book (kbb.com) has this capability.

Meade
  • chmeeeechmeeee Member Posts: 327
    No question I would go for the Jetta. Newer, fewer miles, more fun to drive, and a far less boring, run-of-the-mill type car.
    Ignore my post then :(

In regards to Jetta over Camry:

Jetta for more fun.

Camry for more space and "perceived" reliability.
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    i would say go find out exactly how much a new 02 jetta with the same options would cost ya... perhaps go and neg with a dealer...then decide if the difference is worth the 8000 miles it has on it. you have to remember that it's probably 8000 HARD miles since people do tend to push loaners and drive test vehicles..

i personally would rather go with the jetta than the camry... if i didn't have my maxima, i would be driving around in a jetta...
    Ha! Its above the bland bread and butter Camry! At least here anyways.

Top Selling Cars @ CarsDirect.com
    1. Honda Civic
    2. Toyota Corolla
    3. Honda Accord
    4. Hyundai Elantra
    5. Volkswagen Jetta
    6. Toyota Camry
    7.Volkswagen Passat
    8. Ford Mustang
    9. Hyundai Accent
    10. Ford Focus
    What's your point? Since the Civic is #1, should we all go out and buy Civics?
    I should hope not. It just pleases me to see the Camry not selling in the top 5 for once. Maybe we should all go Elantras.
    Now you're talking end of the world kinda talk!! :O
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The new Elantras are nice. I sat in a GT when I was in the market for my Protege. It was nice, but I didn't like the interior smell of the car, and also my right leg came in contact with the console every time I pushed the pedal. So I didn't get one. They are pretty nice though.

Edmunds.com did a long-term test of a 2001 Elantra, and really gave it rave reviews. Definitely look into this car if you are on a tight budget.
    I am not having engine issues, no. I thought it was weird for the coolant to be low just 8K miles from its last topping (at the 10K oil change). Maybe they didn't fill it though. I put coolant in the other day, and the level is still consistent today. I also have been checking under the car for the heck of it, but nothing has been coming out, aside from condensation from the AC.
    I wouldn't go for a loaner car either as a choice. I had several loaners, and I can tell you truthfully I did run them alot harder than my own car. So keep this in mind. Also, dealers have incentives to move leftover 2002 models to make room for the 2003s. Go for a new 2002, you will be happy you did.

Also, Jettas hold their value incredibly well, so you really won't save alot of money going for one with 8K miles on it already.
    They should have a recall for this problem. There are alot of people who mention the window regulator problem. Everyone should get the new, redesigned part for the window for free. Hopefully VW will see the situation the same way as we consumers do.
    I have noticed that my car (2002 1.8T, Tiptronic) uses a good amount more gas with the AC on. My fuel economy has gone from 23-24mpg down to 20-21mpg in the last couple of weeks. I also ran 89 octane in the engine (vs. the usual 87) to see if that would help matters. It did not. I didn't realize the AC used as much gas as it does. :) Anyone else think this as well?

I have to also remember that I was picking up a co-worker (30 miles extra day) for the past 2 weeks, so I am sure that didn't help matters either.
    I had mentioned him before, the one with the 1991 Honda Civic LX. He said he and his gf are in the market for a new car, but they want an SUV because they need the cargo room. He has gone absolutely crazy over my car in the past 2 weeks. I mean compliments just flood from him when he rides in it. From the comfort, to the power, even to the stereo system.

I told him if he liked my car so much, he could go and get one of them. He said he needed cargo room though. I conveniently reminded him that VW now makes a Jetta wagon with the same 1.8T engine that I have, and it has more cargo room, more power, and better fuel economy than the Subaru Forester he likes thus far. I think I have encouraged him to try one out. We shall see what happens though.
    Anyone notice recently how most other car companies are copying VW's styling themes? They all now have the radio antennas on the back above the back window like all VWs have had for awhile now, and they all now have those door handles like all VWs that you can slip your hand through, that don't break nails (my best friend is grateful for these, she used to lose about a fingernail a week in my previous car's door handles). I would also think that the VW handles would be alot easier to use for someone with a hand disability as well.

It's pretty nice to drive the original, instead of a carbon copy of a design, eh? :)
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    seven posts in a row! is that a record?

there does seem to be a lot of new cars using VW's door handles. not so much with the antennas though. i prefer having it integrated into the rear windshield myself. some people think WV's antennas are for cell phones.

have your friend try out the gulf too. if you don't need to use the back seat, it'll have a lot of space too.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Vocus, I almost always have my AC and/or defroster on (which is the AC anyway) and I get about 25 mpg with shifts at 4-5k rpm, jack rabbits starts and running in the 80s-90s on the freeway. The AC shouldn't impact engine performance that much, not in this day and age. Try using 91-92 octane gas - I won't use anything but premium in my turbo.
    The reason I suggested the Jetta wagon to my friend was because he liked the power and feel of my 1.8T engine, and it isn't available in the Golf anymore. I told him about the TDI, but he said diesels are dirty and he doesn't want one of those. I also told him they are clean enough to be sold in California (in limited numbers), but he still doesn't think they are clean enough.
    I have been going back and forth between 87 and 89 octane gas, to see if there is a difference in my fuel economy. According to the gauge, the 87 I have in there now seems to be going a little faster than the 89 I had in the last tank. I will also probably try 93 octane to see what happens.

I used 87 all winter with no problems, but maybe the heat and all makes the engine work harder and use more gas in the summer. I don't know, but I will definitely try 93 next tank. Thanks. :)
    well, on a 100 degree day today Justin went out and test drove convertibles. as much as i adore the Cabrio - just can't do it. no 5 speeds ANYWHERE on the east coast. i have checked. and the automatic Cabrio I drove today was just awful. maybe it was the heat and a/c, i don't know. just awful. the car literally sounded awful, so much that i hated to make it downshift, which it needed to do in the worst way, considering i was rolling backwards down hills....

i also drove a Miata. perfect car. even though they are having kick butt finance deals, i the Miata I want MSRP's at over $26k. not sure i want to go through all that right now, especially now that summer is half over. beatiful car though.

gotta say, even with the manual tran, the Miata has NOTHING on my autmatic Jetta, "get up and go" wise....

unless Mazda calls me and offers me the deal of a lifetime, me and my Jetta will be looking at another winter together.
    i am not a complete idiot for REQUIRING ABS on any car, right? i know some here for would say, "No Justin, you are a complete idiot for SOOO many other things....haha", but seriously, so many people say if you really know how to drive, you don't need it.

it makes me feel better, period. am i just a freak about not "giving" on that requirement, or does anyone else feel the same way?

thanks - J
    If you're willing to go used, look at 2000 or 99 Miatas...you can pick up a 99 with 30000 miles for about 12-15k. There's a local mazda dealer, Hine, in san diego that sells off lease miatas for a song. I've been tempted several times...better handling, the san diego sun, perfect reliability (my family has owned two Miatas).

And if you think a feature is a must, then nobody else has a right to tell you otherwise. You gotta drive it - you make the payments so it should be exactly as you want it.
  • amandaw33amandaw33 Member Posts: 4
    Hi all,

new to this board... after talking with the dealer and seeing how few GLS leather models were left from the 2002 model year, I am going to wait a few more weeks for the 2003's. Will actually make an official order next week for a GLS 1.8t w/ leather and Monsoon (luxury pkg is standard on new GLS's).

Anyone know of any changes in the 2003 model (I know a body change is expected in '04)

So far, I have heard the price is about $300 cheaper, the GLS comes with the luxury package, and the keyless entry may have an option to lower windows. Has anyone else heard of any other changes? Just curious as my dealer isn't sure yet, and I'm very excited.

thank you!
  • amandaw33amandaw33 Member Posts: 4
    now i wish i could wait even longer for the cupholder fix & backlit radio buttons. grrr.

anyone know what the new colors Campanella White, Platinum Gray, or Alaska Green look like? is it used on other VW models (sorry, very new to VW).
    The backlit radio buttons must mean the steering wheel radio controls (I guess). They now only come with leather seats (I have them). I wish they scrolled through the presets instead of all the stations. Oh well. :(
    I want the ESP option the most, but it doesn't really come into play if you are careful when driving (for most people, anyway). It is a useful feature that I recommend, especially since it's only about $400 to get it.

With the 1.8T in the GL, VW is finally creating a car that can kick the butt of all the new "sport compact" cars on the market (Protege MS3, Sentra Spec-V, etc.), so that's definitely cool. It also makes a viable option to the 2.0, which most people don't like anyway.
    I tell you what, if my Jetta didn't have such good brakes, responsive steering, a loud horn, and small size, I might be in the hospital right now!

I was on 95 North (Baltimore, MD) coming home from dinner with my dad about 2 hours ago. I was in the right most lane, and there was a Jersey wall to the right of me because of road work going on. Well this dummy in an Altima was next to me, and he decided he wanted my lane instead of his. Trouble was, the front end of my car ended at his back door! So he comes over, no signal or nothing. I slam on the brakes, lay on the horn, and start moving as close to the wall as possible. I came within 4 inches of the wall, and he came within the same distance to me, before he realized I was there. (He was more interested in the conversation with his passenger than driving, apparently.) The road was also packed with cars, so I know it would have ended up being a multi-vehicle accident.

I am ok, but it scared the heck out of me. I am glad my car is so agile, otherwise I might have not been here to type this.
    glad you and the jetta are ok.

what i tend to do when driving is make a concious effort not to be in someone's blindspot... too many careless mergers on the road these days.. they just dont look competely before merging into your lane.
  • hoodornamenthoodornament Member Posts: 114
    What is a "Jersey" wall ?,

Thanks,
    HO
  • jlpd2jlpd2 Member Posts: 1
    LOOKING AT 1999 WOLFBURG'S JETTA FOR MY DAUGHTER.HAS 39,000 MILES AND CERTIFIED WITH A 2 YEAR 24,000 MILE WARRANTY. VEHICLE LOOKS GREAT, BUT AFTER READING SOME ITEMS ON THE DISCUSSION BOARD, I AM HAVING SECOND THOUGHTS. I HAVE NEVER BOUGHT A FOREIGN CAR BEFORE. PLEASE ADVISE, ANYONE WITH A HISTORY WITH VW.
    He means a Jersey barrier, the type of barrier you always see on the side of the highway for construction projects, and sometimes permanently. The type of thing where it gets narrower as it goes up. The general idea is that if you hit it, your tires do first rather than the body work, and the car will ride up it a bit. This causes the car to turn back in the direction of traffic, but not bounce back the other direction across traffic again as you would after hitting a guard rail. Anyways, that's too much civil engineering for a Jetta conversation!

On another note, I hate the people that change lanes without looking. I have one of those cheeseball blindspot mirrors from Brookstone stuck on my side view. It looks kind of dumb, but you have no idea how useful it is until you try it. You can never miss seeing somebody next to you again.
    If you adjust your stock mirrors properly, then you won't have a blind spot. Here's something I read off the 'net"

Do this....

For the left driver side mirror, stick your head against the driver side window while sitting in the driver's seat (of course!). Now adjust that mirror so that you can see the rear quarter panel.

Center Rearview mirror is set so that you can see straight out the back.

To adjust the right side passenger mirror (also while in driver's seat), stick your head in the "middle" of the car and adjust the passenger side mirror so that you can see the rear quarter panel on that side.

It'll probably look weird at first, but you'll notice that now when you're driving you will see the car behind you in the rearview mirror, then when it starts to pass you, it will be in the side mirror, then just as it moves out of that mirror's range, you will be able to see the car just out of your peripheral vision.

Of course there's no substitute for a good shoulder check and some common sense, but the mirror's adjusted as above help out immensely.

I've done this in my car and I really like it. I still shoulder check, but I feel I have greater view of my surroundings now.
  • harlequin1971harlequin1971 Member Posts: 278
    it would be almost worth it to let the guy hit you. (No, I am not advocating this.)

Just think of all the truly poor drivers, or good drivers who are temporarily distracted by other things who drive our streets everyday...wreaking havoc on the roads. If I let every bozo who cut me completely off cause the accident they were trying to cause, I would have totaled about 30 cars by now...but maybe a few of those drivers would wake up when they actually have to pay a few deductables for their bad driving...rather than hearing a few horns every now and then.

Sorry for the complete troll post...but I read that and thought to myself (as an instinctual reaction), "I bet the guy flipped you off when you honked at him." It happens to me all the time, guy jumps my lane, if I bother to honk in protest, they just throw out the bird and press down the gas pedal.

Troll, troll, troll.
    I got front row seats to one of the funniest incidents involving a lane change. I'm on a two-lane on ramp, ambling along slowly in my Jetta. For some reason the right lane suddenly becomes empty. I drop down a gear and punch it, veering over. As I zip down the lane I see a Volvo approaching from behind me going at a good clip. From the lane I just exited a too-cool-for-school cat in a sparkling, gorgeous BMW suddenly juts out in front of the Volvo. Brakes lock, wheels scream and the BMW and Volvo all come to a stop with the Volvo's horn screaming in protest. The BMW driver's response? Flip the guy off and pull out completely in front of the now stopped Volvo. Some people...

Eugenics is not really a bad thing...
    PF: I have my mirrors adjusted kinda like you said, and I always check over my shoulder for both left and right changes.

Kyle: If this guy would have checked the mirror, he would have seen me. My front bumper was right at the middle of his car (between the doors) on a 1998ish Altima. I know he couldn't have checked the mirror if he didn't see me.

Harlequin: I should have let him hit me, but the road was packed with people. If he would have hit me, I would probably have spun or something, then it would have become a chain reaction accident. Actually, the guy didn't flip me the bird (I probably would have pulled him over one way or the other if he had), but he tromped the gas and left me behind.
    First, thanks for posting.

The MKIII Jettas (1994-1999) have a history of window regulator problems, MAF sensors going bad, and the side moldings falling off. Since the car has low mileage, is pretty new, certified, and will be covered by warranty, you might do well to purchase it. Also check out other bosrds here in the Owner's Club for the Jetta. These cars are pretty safe though, and you can feel good about putting your child into one of them.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
    Kinda quiet in here, eh?
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    The MAF for the MKIII has not been a big problem and the window regulators were better than the current ones also. The MKIII regulator was a different design that if I could use it on my MKIV I would. VW power windows have always been a problem area but the current cars have been the biggest problem. The new redesigned part that is made of metal instead of plastic will hopefully solve the problem. As far as the side moldings, yep they should be carefully checked since they did have rust and falling off problems.
  • drumgirl1drumgirl1 Member Posts: 5
    Hello Edmundiers,

I'm a student on a tight budget. A neighbour is selling a manual 1990 Jetta. It's in good condition besides some rust. I dont know too much about Jetta's of that make/year and I'm just wondering if any of you have had any experience with older models?

Basically I need a "no frills" car mainly for city driving to get to school and work but I don't want to end up living in the repair shop. I understand repairs can get quite expensive on VWs. The car's got 175 000 Kms on it (about 110 000 miles)so it's had a long (healthy?) life. I've heard that older VWs are gas guzzlers and constantly in need of oil refills.

Bottom line, considering my financial situation and driving needs, put in my shoes would you opt for it or turn it down? I'm really not picky as long as i can get around safely and reasonably cheap.

Thanks edmunds fans!
    i would say run away from that car, but i can't tell you do that without telling you a friend of mine in LA got a 90 Jetta brand new. still drives it everyday, and HARD. about 130k miles on it, and he mentioned he has gone over 10k miles in Miami/LA traffic, and not bothered to get the oil changed (med student, then resident, etc). no power anything, a crank sunroof. good times in that car :) it is not rusting though. could be the Miami/LA thing i guess....he has had no problems except when an earthquake caused some plaster to fall from the parking garage and messed up the trunk. of course, the sunroof leaks, the car is LOUD and makes lots of noises. but it still RIPS down the road :) used to love the car, but feeling safe is not an option when i am in it anymore. just too old and junky.

for you though, in your situation, i would say stay away from a car that is rusted with that many miles, no matter if you only pay $300. it is bound to need some money put into it in the near future.
    how many of you guys have 01 jetta wolfsburgs?? and how much did u pay for yours?
    VWoA called me today re:my lemon law letter I sent back on 6/21/02. They said they regretted that they would not be able to repurchase my car (big surprise), but they would help me all that they could in getting the repairs done on it.

So I took it to the dealership today for a couple little things, mainly to fix 2 parts that they broke last time I had it there. I usually go in and drop my car off, get my loaner, and leave. Well, now this dealer doesn't give loaners anymore unless they keep my car overnight. I argued with the service writer, telling her she didn't mention that to me on the phone (which she did not). So they finally broke down and gave me a loaner (1999 Passat 1.8T). The writer complained the whole time about working 10.5 hours, being tired, etc. (like I care).

She then was talking via one of those Nextel 2-way radio thingies to someone in the service dept. about me. He said something about who I was, and then (and I quote), "he is a pain in the [non-permissible content removed]". Those exact words! I WENT OFF in that dealership. I can not wait to get on the phone with VWoA tomorrow when I get to work.

I cannot believe he would say something like that. Then the service writer acted like she didn't hear it, didn't correct him, or anything. She just went on the phone part instead the radio so I couldn't hear anymore of his comments.

Tomorrow I am getting on the phone with VWoA and seeing what I can do to get both of them repremanded. I am not going to stand for that crap.