Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• marshellamarshella Member Posts: 11
    Ok, got some more hits with "radio" and mostly that was talk about VIN and theftlock, both of which I'm not that concerned with. I'm mostly concerned with the dimensions of the space that the stereo takes up. I guess I'll just have to let the "pros" do this one instead of myself this time. Thanks.
    Marshella
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    my mom has an '03 with a factory cd/radio. took the car on a 250 mile round trip last weekend, got about 33 mpg!
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • wpbharrywpbharry Member Posts: 399
    The posts were all in the last 2-3 weeks, so it shouldn't take you too long to find them (just go back 10 or so pages and skim the posts going forward from there). It concerned a member who was considering replacing the stereo in his '97 Malibu.
  • jtrujillo86jtrujillo86 Member Posts: 300
    Hey guys! Today I went and look at an 03 Alero (again...I know) with the 2.2 Ecotec. It was so sweet. It was only priced at $10,999 and had 28K on the odometer. Anyway, I was about 2 seconds away from buying, but they didn't want to give me what I wanted for my Bu. It's really depressing :( I guess I'll just keep plugging away with the ol' bu. Anyway, I just wanted to check in, since I haven't said much in while.

Jeremy
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    He says the right stuff, including many things about the new Bu. Let's hope his words will become reality

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/specialreports/articles/100660/arti- - cle.html?tid=edmunds.h..reviews..18.*
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    its sad that Lutz resorts to the flag waving patriotic bit.

the car or any car should be able to sell on merits, not some sort of appeal of misplaced patriotism. Tell Lutz to stop the shipment of Chinese v6's for the Equinox and maybe we'll just not let those Aveos across the border either, and then he can pull the patriotism trump card.

French seats anyone? Them Vue's will have nice Honda motors.

And the whole thing reeks from, 'this is where i work now, so its better." As if chrysler was nothing in the 90's.

And his recitation of all the things that push customer's buttons into purchase these days. I wonder if he came to those realizations himself or if the marketing department handed him the summary report of 40 import owner focus groups.

Max Bob has done good work at GM but these's just too much blather in that interview.

"So, I think at some point we're going to have to decide whether we want an automobile industry or we don't."

"And I would never expect the consumer to buy an inferior vehicle just because it's American."

Those two statements are borderline contradictory.

"But these vehicles are no longer inferior. I think we've taken the last of the excuses away."

He said, with the Grand Am and Buick Century in the background.

***Thanks, I'm here all week.***

He might be able to convince some into thinking that just by giving a statement like that. But folks will ultimately decide after test drives or even just mere trips to the showrooms. Lets hope the cars back it up. Malibu is a decent start. Does it go all the way? Or is it like C/D said, trying so hard to be average it can't be exceptional.

GM might have to start increasing their payola to the auto journalists. They must not be forking out enough dough.

"So, I think at some point we're going to have to decide whether we want an automobile industry or we don't."

No, its more like, will GM, Ford, and well no more Chrysler, will they adapt and change to meet the new successful ways of doing auto business, or will they fight and cling to try to keep the old outdated Detroit business model. The success of the foreign makers in the US suggest the industry will exist either way and no one will give a rats butt about whether GM survives or not.

Adapt or die. I think that's just the 'old guard' fearful of the change in the industry.
  • triedntrutriedntru Member Posts: 73
    Good news! I may be able to acquire a Maxx for the Thanksgiving holiday.

The plant has several that they are wanting employees to put some high miles on to identify any early problems. I happen to be doing some long trips that weekend, so I threw my name in the hat. I'm sure everyone in the plant is jumping on this opportunity, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    jtrujillo86 : Too bad, you would have enjoyed the car. We have an 02 Alero and we love it. The Ecotec is the best engine choice IMO though if you must have the power, the V6 is good also.

triedntru : That would be cool. Imagine the looks you will get everywhere in one of the first Maxxes to hit to road. Let us know if you are successful.
    First, an '04 report: Both '04s were sold last weekend for sticker (less the $1,000 rebate). So, my dealer now has none. Unless a prior car dies, for the life of me I can't comprehend why anyone would pay sticker just to have one of the first and not wait for bigger rebates. Also, my dealer has received no brochures for any '04 Chevy. Strange.

And it gets even stranger. Took the car in for the oil change (free) and had them check out the rear defroster (which, surprisingly, I do use to clear the mist in the morning). They claim due to the manufacturing process, the wires that attach to the grid are attached before the glass cures, and the only way to fix it is to replace the entire rear window (ahem). I don't understand how they can attach the wires to a new window but not the one on there now (think I'm being taken). Quoted me $650 at first (and the extended warranty doesn't cover glass). Told him I'd Crazy Glue the wires to the window (which wouldn't allow the defroster to work since that glue doesn't conduct electricity, but at least no one would notice next summer at trade-in time), and then the price magically (about 15 mins. later) went down to $330. Probably could have gotten another $100 off at a glass repair shop, but OK'd it. So, it goes in for a day and a half on the 5th.

There is NO WAY I'm chancing this bizarre car (who's ever heard of all 4 aluminum wheel center caps losing all of their attachment teeth - another weird one I had - that was covered) after the warranty runs out. New wheels next June/July for sure. Sales Mgr. still wants my car. We'll see.
    I called the GM Protection Plan Customer Service #, explained the situation, and they agree that it's an electrical problem and not a glass problem, so the new window (and rental car) are fully covered. The dealer called them to verify and it's a done deal.

Don't rely on your dealer's word. I won't ever again!
  • deminindeminin Member Posts: 214
    Your were very right to call GM before taking the dealers word as gospel. The dealers make a lot of money off warranty repairs, and often inflate the troubles to increase their profits. I have seen too many cases where a $500 repair was made when in reality, a $100 fix would have been just as good. GM, as well as all other manufacturers, has to rely on the honesty and integrity of its dealers to help ensure customer satisfaction. Unfortunately, profit sometimes takes the priority. Its kind of like seeking a second opinion if the doctor delivers bad news. The consumer has to be wary of what he is being told, and be wise enough to question something that doesn't sound right.
    It's odd the dealer would do this. It's in their best interest in trying to get things for you for free such that you come back for things that aren't (like oil changes). Our dealer operates like this and it creates good will rather than distrust.
    I think the problem is the particular Service Writer that I dealt with today. He was on vacation in July when the intake manifold gaskets were done, and I got far better service. I'll avoid this jerk in the future. In March, he hooked me up with a salesman to try and move an '03 Malibu after I told him I didn't want the exact same car again. He also tries to pressure me into filling out the customer service survey on site (yeah, right) with a promise of the next oil change for free (I get them free anyway - part of a promotion when I bought the car). Obviously an idiot. Finally have his number. I'll bet he never even called GMPP to begin with....
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    There is a built in conflict for dealers. Warranty work has to be done according to warranty labor rate manuals for various repairs. The warranty labor rate manual is not penurious, but requires someone knowing what they are doing, doing the job right the first time.

Regular repair work is handled in two interesting ways that are different: the "flat rate" manuals provide much more generous times; and the hourly labor rate is much higher.

Thus the flat rate manual may say it takes x hours to remove and replace a radiator, while most good mechanics (the ones that don't get fired from the dealer after a while) can do the job, most of the time, in half the time. In addition, the labor rate posted and charged by the dealer is usually double what the car maker will allow.

BTW, "flat rate" manuals don't mean there is a fixed price for a repair. It means there is an "agreed" time for the repair, and if it takes longer, the dealer absorbs the extra cost, if it takes less time, the dealer profits.

So who publishes the flat rate manuals becomes important. The cleanest manuals are those published by the manufacturer, but there is a cottage industry of manual publishers who essentially crib the manufacturer's manual, but boost the times.

I have personally discovered quite a range of prices for things like routine services, strut replacements, etc., from dealer to dealer. It pays to shop different dealers.

Independents have the same structure, but (i) don't have any current factory manuals, (ii) work on too many different makes to be good at them, (iv) and don't have any factory training. The ASE certification program is a pale imitation of what good factory training does.

In other words, dealers screw their customers, but they are the only semi-reliable game in town, and it is worth shopping for different dealers, or even different service writers, and keeping your eyes open.

I think they try to screw the manufacturers, too.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    I think it's almost cheaper to always lease your car and never pay for a repair! But, of course, it depends. Usually, it's still cheaper to own for 10+ years, though occasionally you do have to pay just outrageous labor fees to the dealer. But if you go to an independent garage, they are usually not trained as good as the dealer's mechanics, and probably don't care as much to do a good job. That's it, I am switching to biking, walking, and rollerblading!!!
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    The issue of domestic vs imports couldn't be put much better, especially the misconception that Japanese cars are now "made" in the US. Better be careful with what I say...
    Now if the assembly line can hit the quality goals GM wants to hit with the Malibu.
    I agree. I thought the Lutz interview was dead on. If the new Bu is as good as they say. I'm willing to chance it.

But, in fairness, after what I've been through with my '98 this year, don't expect to see a "Recommended" for the new one in Consumer Reports (they won't segregate Bu generations) for a few more years. Mine alone will squash that. Heaven help us if memeber Jeremy is a subscriber. Fine with me in a selfish sort of way - slower sales, bigger rebates for the next year or two.

By the way, my dealer seconded an e-mail that I received from a disgusted former member this week. The new Maxx is going to have a tough road to hoe. And I'd completely forgotten. The Equinox arrives in showrooms a mere 2 months (March) after the Maxx. Same features, but the all-important "SUV" title. Good. Forget the $3,000 rebates, let's go for $4,000 (gets me into an LT rather than an LS with "Uglycloth"). Maybe it'll be $3,000 with $1,000 owner loyalty (now bc, could even you pass that up? Don't think so.)

So, who's received their December issues of car mags (C&D, MT)? Sure most everyone but me. What's the news?
  • mazdaprofourmazdaprofour Member Posts: 202
    I noticed that I have a little crack in the paint (looks more like a cut). It is the size of the tip of a nail. Very small. It is located on the front driver door panel near the edge close to the mirror. The dealership said that the service manager would have to look at it first. One guy said that they may just paint the whole panel. I am thinking that touch up paint can fix it. I do not know if I should get some touch up paint and fix it or let them paint the panel. They said they may have to keep it two days. What you guys think. It is not rusted. It just looks like if you cut the paint with a razor. Hard to describe. If I use touch up paint, can it still rust?
    Don't quote me on this, but if you clean out the scratch of dirt first, and the cut isn't all the way down to the bare metal, I doubt it'll rust after touch-up painting it. Remember to shake the touch-up paint bottle VIGOROUSLY before you use it.

BUT, the color of your Bu comes into play here. In my case, the touch-up paint is an exact match (have used it on the rear bumper twice) (my car is Bright White, kind of easy to match), but metallic colors are often just a tad off. Seeing that the cut is pretty small, I'd say go for it. If the dealer repaints the whole panel, you might end up with a bigger mismatch (if it's in fact metallic). With metallic, it might look like a perfect match in some light, but not in others.
    Sleep? What sleep? Actually crashed at 10 last night, but I'm used to 5-6 hours of sleep with the World Series (tonite just might do it, and yes, an offer has been made for the Marlins' new stadium in central Palm Beach County), so I'm ready to rip, and even without coffee. Might need a short nap mid-morning, but.....

VERY surprised that no one posted about Survivor this week. If you're not a fan, yes, the new Malibu ad was in the mix, as expected. Now, the interesting thing is, after the tribes merge in a few weeks, and they have the inevitable "luxury competition" for a vehicle, which will it be? Can just see Jeff getting stuck in the sand in a new Malibu LT. No, think they'll save the Malibu for the "Reunion Survivor" series that starts right after the Super Bowl (hopefully we'll be in that too, by the way), and that'd be a Maxx. This time I think it'll be one of those GMC Envoy XUVs with the sliding rear roof (what a great idea), with Jeff driving on the beach with something big in back. Speaking of big, watch Rupert win it (oh, thank God it's not a Bu LT!! The UltraLux would never handle that).

Opinions?
    wpbharry, it looks gray underneath. I do not see any signs of rust. My car is also white.
    CR currently recommends the 2003 Malibu so as long as quality / reliability continues to be average-good, I don't see that changing.
    Go for it. We both lucked out color wise.

I'm in shock, and thank God it's a Sat. nite, with time change.
    wpbharry, so are you saying just to use touch up paint?
    But don't have the caffeine shakes when you do it. "Word from the wise". Less is best.
    I do not like the concept of them removing all the paint on the front quarter panel. I think that this would mean that they would have to take the panel off. I know that sometimes when they do this, you can have other issues later like rattels, misalignment and possible paint mismatch.

I just hope that after touch up paint, that it does not rust underneath or continue to crack underneath. I would think that this would stop it.

What if I use touch up paint and the problem comes back. Will the warranty cover it?
    As I posted a while ago, we had some serious scratches (with dents) on our redfire LS too. The area is white colored, I don't know if this means very deep? Harry, help me on this if you can. I was going to have it repainted too, but now that I think about what mazdaprofour said, I could end up with other problems if they don't do it right. My scratches are too big for touch-up and our color is hard to match too. I'm not sure what I'll do, probably just live with it though this winter and see what happens rustwise. The midwest winter can be very rough, maybe this wouldn't be a good idea...
    Maz (what's your real name; bud name needs to change); I don't think the 3/36 will cover paint issues. Just do it when you're not shaky - less is best.

tamu, I'm jealous. Didn't offer that color when I bought. Assume you've got neutral leather. Nice. Try the plan above, but be VERY careful.

Har
    Sorry. My attention span lapsed a touch. If what you're seeing is greyish white, that's the primer, and you're good to go. Do the touch-up bit, using my prior advice.

Har
    Thanks Harry for the quick response. We do have the neutral interior (cloth), very pleasing to the eye indeed. The area is almost pure white color without any hint of grey. I'll double check. With the scratch being as big as 3'X2', I'm really afraid to make a mess with the touch-up...Well, I'll see...
    I think I will just use touch up paint. Will it rust under after using touch up paint?
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    I am new to this discussion, but I had a 94 GMC
    Sonoma that had some minor chips and a large chip oout of the paint. I used the touch up paint, with pretty good results. You really had to look close to see the smaller ones, but the body did not rust out in the 5 years I owned it.

I went to a local dealer to look at the new Malibu,very nice but why can't GM use better cloth? It looks like it could be used in a cheap Korean car,not a 22K car. Honda and Toyota put better looking cloth seats in their cars! It is not just the Malibu either. Grand Prix, Rendezvous CX, and others have similar looking cloth seats.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Well, they DID drastically improve the Grand Prix cloth seats. When the 04 first came out, the cloth seats had this weird pattern that looked like either a bad acid trip flashback or like the baby threw up!
    As always. One of my pinch hitters. And yes, he rocks.

Even let me say it, it's UglyCloth (TM, Reg). More horrific than in the GP.

Har
    The reason why I'm being funky about the new Bu is, as nearly the whole world knows, the leather seats in the LT (obviously you saw an LS) are the suede stuff. GM, I WANT real leather, please. And not the stuff in mine.

Let's hope somebody's awake.
    I don't know why the cloth looks so bad in the 2004 LS Malibu, but so good in the Mercedes C230, VW Jetta's etc. Nothing wrong with the fabric in the Malibu, just the color and patterns.

Believe it or not, the cloth in the LS is supposedly UPGRADED over the clothe in the Base model (the 2.2 version). Has anyone seen that cloth? Is it UglierCloth?

I have so say that after driving a 2.0, 4 cylinder VW Golf down to LA this weekend (in the notoriously high revving stick shift version), I am strongly considering getting some good old fashioned low revving American iron. A low revving V6 would have been nice... Maybe it's time to rent an Impala or to see if I can find a 2004 to rent and take it on the road....
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    a black 04 Malibu LT on Saturday. The car had a msrp of $25025 and I believe that is loaded. Overall, it seems like a very good vehicle. The ride was very compliant and the 3.5 V6 very willing. Fit and finish seemed excellent and the seats were very comfortable. This car had the gray leather interior with aluminum accent trim - I like this better than the fake wood trim. I would say GM did a very good job with this car. Improvements could always be made like the cloth design pattern. Personally, I wish the front end would have had a different fascia more like the Opel Vectra. The only real complaint that I have is that the steering was to light at parking lots speeds, nicely weighted once moving but too much assist at low speeds. Maybe most people will think this is a good thing. My brother has an 03 Camry and in my opinion the new Bu is as good or better. I have not driven a new Accord so I can not make a fair comparison. I was quoted a lease price of under $300 (including tax,GMS pricing) for 36 months/12k per year with no money down. Seems like a very aggressive lease program.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    "And I would say one more thing. We've been reading a lot about the deindustrialization of America, and about manufacturing jobs going offshore. And, while I don't want to wave the American flag and say it's your patriotic duty, etc., etc. But, I think all other things being equal, the American purchaser should ask himself or herself when they buy a vehicle, "What am I doing for the American economy here with my purchase?" That's all I'm saying. And Toyota will say, "Yeah, but the Camry is made in the United States." Well, yes it is and no it isn't. And most of their vehicle lineup is not. And even the Camry contains a very high percentage of Japanese engineering, Japanese parts, Japanese supplier components, and so forth. So, I think at some point we're going to have to decide whether we want an automobile industry or we don't. And I would never expect the consumer to buy an inferior vehicle just because it's American. But these vehicles are no longer inferior. I think we've taken the last of the excuses away."

Do you sense a desperation in Bob Lutz's interview with Edmunds? I mean, I don't want to demean the Malibu or GM, but he shouldn't appeal to people's patriotism to force them to buy GM or any other American cars. The fact is the Big Three has been promising us for more than a decade that the quality gap is narrowing yet if you look at long term reliability you see that the Japanese still have an edge. I see lot more early 90s Accord and Camry than Taurus and Grand Prix
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    Just realistic.

The new Malibu is just that... new, from the ground up. Yet you have people like you comparing it to early 90s Grand Prixes. In the early 90s, the only mid 80s CamCords I saw around were rust buckets. Apparently, that did not stop people from noticing things changed.

Seems this generation is less perceptive. So you resort to beating them on the head.
    I think all things being equal (meaning quality and perception of quality) Americans (and Canadians) would generally prefer to buy a big 3 name plate. That said, it will take time to convince many people that the new Malibu is for real and for those who had a rotten experience, I guess I can't blame them for being skeptical.

I have owned both Japanese and American and have not really had any bad experience with either. At this point, American cars seem to offer more for the money which is why our last 4 cars have been American. I am Canadian so I'm not waiving a flag, but I do feel like U.S. firms have a much stronger presence and history in Canada so you can see my preference.

Bob Lutz is not desperate, he is just making a strong and valid point. GM, Chrysler and Ford are the heart of manufacturing in the U.S. (and Canada) and if the trends do not stop, that will die.
  • gschneegschnee Member Posts: 4
    Just became a new member and thought I would let everbody know I'm an owner of a 2004 Malibu LS,medium gray metallic with sunroof and rear spoiler. I've got less then 400 miles on the clock,but so far it has been a solid,well balanced car. This car also has the 1SB equip.grp.with the remote starting system ,which will come in handy this winter in upstate New York. It was the first new Malibu my dealer got and is still waiting for two new vehicles to arrive. I traded a 2001 Malibu LS, which he sold in less then a week. I will keep everbody posted on how the new car is going.
    Congrats!! Let us know how it goes.

What kind of price did you manage?
    Well to my surprise, the service manager at chevy gave me a call. It is sad but now days I am surprised to even get someone to return a voice mail. Any ways, he was very nice over the phone asked me to bring in my car. I took it in. He said that touch up paint will take care of the small crack/scratch in the paint. He said that he will order the paint and they will apply it.

I also asked about the breaks on the bu. He said that the first bu's had break issues but they seem to be better on the recent bu's. He also said that he does not suggest some after market breaks because they are what they call (Bricks). They do not wear as fast as regular breaks but the down side is that they warp the rotors sometimes.

Overall, he seemed pretty cool. Just the fact that he returned my call said a lot to me.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    I had some comments about Lutz' pathetic rant a few posts back...maybe you should check em out.

ok on to the rest, Chrysler is not a north american unit anymore. Benz bought Chrysler, so please don't call it US anymore. If you call Chrylser American, then so is Toyota, Nissan and the others.

as far as this helping manufacturing bit, I'd bet excepting pickup trucks, more Toyota vehicles are built in the US than Chevys. If not, I'd bet the figures would at least open your eyes.

"I think all things being equal (meaning quality and perception of quality) Americans (and Canadians) would generally prefer to buy a big 3 name plate."

Yeah but you left out design, powertrains, interior plastics, and resale value. And also the fact that most folks still presume import names to be more solid and reliable. In some markets its not 100% true anymore, but generally most folks have a greater peace of mind their money is well spent going 'foreign' vs. 'domestic'. Still. Gonna take forver to change that opinion.

Reading that Lutz excerpt again......he's sounding more and more like 'No Room For Crybabies" Denny 'Deknee' Green everyday.....he couldn't help himself from having to make that excuse or plea. You just CANNOT expect to win back over customers from other brands with a statement (exemption, excuse, whatever you wanna call it) like that. It does nothing to speak at all about the honest attempts of the car itself. The car itself should alone knock people over the head it so good to get them to change their opinion. Bringing up the whole patriotism thing, is a regression and alone undermines the whole credibility of him in my eyes. I thought Max Bob was a no excuses guy. Even if what he says has a minute shred of truth, he's got to know that he CAN'T open his trap with that stuff. Hey max Bob, show me the money....er.....show me the car. Give us a car like the 77 Caprice that in its day stood out as being top dog.

The Malibu is a decent car. But bring on the good cars. The ones that will make everyone stand and clap. Or wait, maybe you just can't build them......
  • rwisemrwisem Member Posts: 96
    Hey, glad to see another owner here. I have a little over 1,000 miles now and no issues at all. Looking forward to raising the ratio of owners to detractors (why do people feel the need) on this board.
    Resale will improve when perception changes and rebates get cut back. Like you say though, changes in perception will all take a long time. Honda and Toyota did not get the reputation they have overnight. GM is making a good start by making better cars now. They have to continue to do this and get people (especially those in imports) to at least try a Malibu. Built it and they will come, I guess we basically agree on that.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Of the big three (big two actually) GM has done the best job in trying to improve its overall quality. Especially Cadillac and Buick. I personally think that Buicks are the most underrated cars out there. It just can't seem to shake off that "grandpa car" image. The jury is still out on Pontiac, Chevrolet, and Saturn. As far as the new Malibu goes, it just doesn't stand out in this already crowded market. GM wants to compete with the imports mainly on price rather than quality (IMO). Why else would the V6 Malibu compete against 4 cylinder Camcords? And why would a 3.5L engine produce a Hyaundai like 200 Hp? Japanese V6 engines of similar displacements produce 240+hp.
  • breetai52breetai52 Member Posts: 91
    With worse gas mileage requiring premium at a more expensive price point.
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    Performance is not just hp, especially in the conservative end of the mid-size market. The new 'Bu gets better gas mileage, costs less, and will probably be less expensive to maintain.

In any event, C&D and R&T both said the new 'Bu appears to be close to CamCord 0-60 and 30-60 levels, meaning it is not giving up much in performance - to the extent you can use the word performance with any mid-size family mover.
This discussion has been closed.