Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• newhydebobnewhydebob Member Posts: 3
    rwisem:
    I could not agree with you more, the 04 Bu is an outstanding car, mine is a company car with over 3340 miles. The car is agile with a supple ride. The pushrod 3.5 engine, combined with GM's 4 speed automatic (still the best in the business),is superb, with useable torque occuring at low rpms, where drivers need it most. Combine this with the gas mileage (39 mpg at steady 60 mph) and GM has a winner on their hands!
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Popped into the Chevy dealer at lunch today. They had 3 LS Malibus (all with 4 wheel discs) on the lot. Also noticed they had a Epica which is about the same price made by GM-Daewoo. In terms of looks, the Daewoo was no better, and the V6 in the Malibu is not only more powerful, but I'll bet it's more refined. Epica looks good inside (near luxury I suppose) but it's all flash. I see the Malibu as a cleaner more modern design and I suppose Chevy is trying to sell to 2 different segments here and it shows. I'm still unclear why the Epica is not sold in the the U.S. but you can see one at your Suzuki dealer down there I guess.
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    I don't want to start this debate again, but some people who buy cars with OHC engines think it must be a better vehicle over those that offer OHV. Most if not all of the Malibu's competitors have OHC engines.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    yeah, they do......watch the replies
  • mazdaprofourmazdaprofour Member Posts: 202
    All right folks, a while back, I had posted about a defect in the paint on my 03 malibu. It had a small nail size crack in the paint. So I took it to the dealership, and they used touch up paint. This looked bad. Some suggested painting it and some suggested leaving the thing alone. SO I decided to paint it. The dealership sent me to this place that kept my car for three days. I just got my car back. I picked it up at night so I could not really tell much. I got to my store at night and looking in the light, I could see little dents or small circles in the paint. I am flaming mad. It looks like the paint was put on over dirt. The paint is also not a perfect match. I left a mssg for the service manager at the chevy dealership. I am sure he will call me tommorow. I do not know what to do. Is this something that I should try to get fixed. This shop told me that they had to send my gas lid to a paint matching place to get it matched. If so I am not sure what they screwed up on. I do not know if getting it painted again will make it worst or better? I am so pissed. This is a brand new car. What to do?

P.S. I am also missing a cd that was in my cd player when I dropped off my car.
  • cornellpremedcornellpremed Member Posts: 58
    Couldn't tell you what OHC and OHV are. They don't know. Don't care.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    I too had a bad experience at a large GM dealer as far as repairs. Plus, some associates were rude, which is a rarity in Canada. Needless to say, not another penny will I spend at that place either buying or fixing something. I believe you should take your car to another dealer, if feasible. Maybe this one is taking your for a ride and billing GM
    As was said, most people (especially those buying a family sedan) don't know or care and as a person who knows more than average I can tell you I don't care either so long as the OHV is reliable, efficient, refined and powerful. The 3.5 seems to have those qualities.
    but what's better?
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    both engines are good ... quiet AND proven to be reliable

ohc has an advantage though in terms of customizing the engine and more actual horsepower (take for example, the Nissan Altima: 3.5L V6 DOHC VVT 240HP)...they can also be added with variable valve timing which significantly improves the overall gass mileage of the car

ohv, though proven, is usually used just so that the manufacturer can save money since it is cheaper to build..though it usually takes a bigger displacement to achieve higher horsepower ratings..

either choice of engine, you can't go wrong!
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    I was at my dealer today getting the Intrigue serviced. Intersting - they had no Malibus at all, nor any brochures. They did have a bunch of Daewoos though, the Epica, Aveo and maybe an Optra (not sure of that). I sat in an Epica in the showroom and it was getting a lot of attention from a few older buyers, surprisingly. The sales guys were talking it up but I had to resist the urge to shout out "don't buy it - it's a Daewoo!". The interior seems nice but as Dindak says it's all flash - plastichrome, petrowood, etc. Can't say it appealed to me especially knowing it's a Daewoo.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

yeah but its a nice interior. who gives a rip where its made?
    Ya, and a whopping 155 hp I-6. Whoopee!
  • clintonjohnclintonjohn Member Posts: 99
    I know this is probably one of the more mundane subjects, but I just test drove an '04 Malibu and it's an irritant I've seen with other cars I've looked at, notably the older Saturns. What is with the seats ending just after where your rear end stops and your thighs begin? I'm used to car seats stretching almost to the back of my knees. I don't know if there's some ergonomic reason why some of these cars have such short seats, but after a 10 minute test drive, I had decided on the seat alone not to consider the Malibu. Otherwise, I thought it was a pretty decent car, good acceleration with the V6, pretty roomy, etc.
    I commented on it to the salesman, and he said he's had several other people mention the same thing, so I don't think it's just a personal idiosyncracy.
    verona 155hp, 2.5 litres......62 hp / litre
    malibu 200hp, 3.5 litres......57hp / litre

the verona is nicer looking, significantly cheaper and for those that like the more plush, better crafted interior.......

value for the dollar, isn't that always your argument? the verona starts a hair over 14 grand. 6 cyl. power and smoothness for the price of a 4.....sound familiar? i borrowed that point from the GM fans.

and the front end of the verona doesn't resemble a mutant killer guppy.

the verona / EPICA is a GM product...I would think you would be fine with it? A well built car, good price, stylish, good value. Sure its a little short on go juice....but many of you have said sedan buyers don't care or look at what's under the hood anyways......built in Korea, no issues there.......
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    the car would cost more, because they would have to spend more materials on building longer seats. Be happy that car had a seat at all
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    You are getting value for the prices mixed up. The Verona is a value at 16. It is certainly not a value at the price of the Malibu. The Malibu is by far the better car and competes at a higher price.

You put out hp per litre as though that is a significant factor. Yet you ignore mpgs, and the size and weight of the engine. The 3.5 litre is actually a smaller, lighter engine, allowing a better front rear weight balance and a lighter car.

Bringing the old Daewoo design here is a good idea. But the design is definitely compromised and should be replaced soon with something on the epsilon platform.
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    most people don't know whether the engine in their car is OHC or OHV , and most do not care. What they do notice is quality, either real or perceived. That perceived quality is what GM is striving for,and I think that GM dropped the ball in not putting in an OHC engine in the Malibu. I know and have heard all the arguments for and against, and personally I like the OHV engines, but GM is the only automaker that still embraces this technology, whether it be old or not.
    Veronas advertised here for a slow as 14,589....that's closer to 14 than 18. Cheapest malibus I've seen are 18,500. Grand Prixs are cheaper.

"The 3.5 litre is actually a smaller, lighter engine, allowing a better front rear weight balance and a lighter car"

I'm not sure you actually have proof of this. The 6 cylinder verona is inline and doesn't hog space like a v engine. The v engine is more complex and may infact weigh more. Plus, I don't know if the Verona engine is aluminum, someone should check that.

some snippets from edmunds.....on the verona

"All trim levels come with a 155-horsepower inline six-cylinder engine. The all-aluminum, dual-overhead cam 24-valve power plant also generates 177 pound-feet of torque at 4,000 rpm for strong acceleration at low speeds"

"Passenger room is also in abundance as the Verona measures up to the Camry in nearly every interior measurement. The Verona isn't an eye-catching standout but it does offer a smooth power plant, a roomy interior and some premium features"

"What it does provide is a solid alternative for buyers who want a comfortable, feature-laden family sedan without spending the money necessary to get an Accord or Camry"

suzuki Verona - Curb Weight: 3307 lbs

"and with 177 lb-ft of torque, it accelerates quickly from a stop"

and isn't that what many of you have said is most important....in town accelration from stoplights....

edmunds does also say it won't challenge the established class leaders, but they don't say the Mali does either.

not reading anything negative here....my visual inspection of the verona confirms its got a very nice interior for the price.

now what does edmunds say about the malibu

"2004 Malibu delivers excellent value but it still lacks the performance and refinement of the class leaders."

"Down on power compared to its competitors, lackluster interior"

"The interior still doesn't have an upscale feel"

"but it proves to be more than adequate during typical driving. There's plenty of punch off the line and the power doesn't let up much from there on out. The power delivery is consistently smooth, but its rough sound keeps it a step below the Accord and Camry in the refinement department"

etc.

i would have posted the links here but there were far too many. edmunds has many spec and review pages for these two cars.

My point here is not to rag the bu, but to point out that the Verona is quite a good car, and as a competitor, internally within GM, it may actually be better suited for a lot of folks. I get that feeling some of you feel because its not a home grown car you have some bias against it. When you compare the cars as a whole, and not focus on where the car comes from, the Verona may be the better purchase choice.

Plus the Verona has a better warranty.

perhaps this is more suited to sedan comparisons....."Dueling Chevys-Epica/Verona vs.Malibu"
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    155hp 6 cylinder and only 177lb feet, that competes with the 4 banger Camcords (and is what Edmunds compares it with). The Edmunds article criticizes the midrange power of the Suzuki motor. Does anyone know a of a current lower powered 6 cylinder motor? It does have a pretty nice interior.

The Malibu 3.5L OHV smokes both those numbers and Edmunds compares it to the Camcord 6 cylinder motors. Now if only I could see the Malibu in a darker interior more often than the too light gray I see all the time.
    hp / litre? If that's criteria for buying a car then I must have missed something.

Epica has a fake feel to it, much like it's Hyundia / Kia cousins. Yes, nice looking interior I suppose, but it's cluttered and seems to be trying too hard to be luxury. The cleaner interior of the Bu is much preferred as is the 45 hp. Sure Epica / Verona is a good value but so is the Malibu and I prefer it in every way even with a shorter warranty.
    buy anyways, the Verona was built to compete with four-cylinder models..it is a value because at this price, most midsize cars are four cylinders..and the Inline 6 (which provides the same liters and horsepower rating) is made to compete with those 4 bangers!! its a solid car for those not wanting to spend more....also, it accelerates well (even though not much midrange punch) due to its pretty high torque rating for only 2.5L....

and yes, the Verona HAS an all-aluminum engine
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    Anybody who would believe that a Suzuki anything is superior to any equivalent model from GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, etc.: drop me an email. I've some some nice Arctic tundra that would make a fine summer home. ;-)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

for the dollar it stacks up fine.....

i doubt the sebring stratus twins would be more desirable.....talk about a dud.

i'm just saying.....y'all are using the 'value' card in praising the merits of the malibu, and also saying things like ultimate performance isn't an issue and the performance of the malibu is good enough for the sedan buyers. You're saying its about it being a value choice.

And what I'm saying is that the Malibu is quite possibly not the winner in the value department.

So the Malibu is not the winning performer and it doesn't win the value challenge, especially within its own walls. Grand Prixs and Veronas are better value buys.

So then we fall to styling and comfort and the Malibu doesn't take the cake there either. Especially styling.

Just making some points. I just want to know the one segment of the mid size sedan market where the Malibu excels and is the leader in class.
  • rwisemrwisem Member Posts: 96
    What with all the talk about the Malibu being boring in looks, I was surprised by an incident this morning - I swear this happened just as I relate it.

I had stopped at 7-11 on my way to church. As I went back to the car, an attractive woman young enough to be my daughter asked me how I liked the Malibu. I told her I liked it fine and she said "it sure is a beautiful car". She was driving a Pontiac Vibe.
  • aarontringaarontring Member Posts: 1
    Anyone who has a complaint about the styling should look at the New Beetle, the new Mini Cooper, and the new T-bird, then set a new Malibu next to 1964 Malibu. I'm just surprised that Chevy isn't offering a 40th anniversary edition. Bet it's in the works.
    As you yourself have said, value is a relative thing. Further it must accompanied by taste and not everyone will find the Verona/ Epica attractive just like you don't find the Malibu attractive.

Personally, I know nothing about Daewoos. They were sold here for about a year or two before they went broke and you rarely see one on the road. The combination of flash, lack of power and the unknown don't strike me as a value. While Malibu may not be the best value on 4 wheels, I do think it's a better value than what the other 4 major car companies offer.
    Isn't the Malibu much better suited to 4 passengers than the other car with SUV size headlights/GP?
  • clintonjohnclintonjohn Member Posts: 99
    although i've only had one suzuki vehicle, i was quite impressed with the reliability. i had a '92 geo tracker(a rebadged suzuki sidekick). over 8 years of ownership, i racked on 185,000 miles with few problems. aside from brakes and tires, i think the only nonroutine maintenance things i replaced were the water pump and the catalytic converter. my father used to buy GM-cadillacs and chevy blazers and suburbans. those vehicles were throwing rods and having transmission problems after only 30,000 miles. i now have a ford ranger, 3 years old, and wish suzuki made a pick up truck. perhaps the american companies have improved quality over the last 10-15 years, but i'd still go japanese, assuming the prices and option levels were comparable.
    "While Malibu may not be the best value on 4 wheels, I do think it's a better value than what the other 4 major car companies offer."

I can dig that answer. Fair enough.

I haven't tested the GP back seat so I don't know how useless it may be. I would assume the GP is a superior car from a dynamics standpoint as well as a powertrain standpoint.
    reg : I would agree, the driving dynamic of the GP is likely better though I would think the 3500 would be a slightly more refined V6 than the 3800. Apparently there is a new and improved back seat on newer cars.

clintonjohn : Suzuki itself does make very good quality cars BUT, the Verona is not really a Suzuki, it's a Daewoo. GM makes about the best auto transmissions in the business.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Folks, let's don't wander too far from the subject, okay? There are other better places for some of this conversation as you know.

Thanks.
    i thought that BMW made the best auto transmissions in the world? hmm, i guess those awards dont mean anything!! lol
    The epsilon platform has more potential than the W-body for performance dynamics.. But it was not the goal of the Bu. The G6 should corner better than the Bu, GP and Camcords.
    You are aware that GM makes some of those BMW automatic transmissions, right?
    I'm sure he has no idea.
    yeah except GM doesn't put em in their own cars.
  • rwisemrwisem Member Posts: 96
    I believe the auto tranny sold to BMW is used in the Caddy CTS and soon to be others.
    I'll take any GM auto tranny over a Honda one any day.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    dindak, you will take GM anything over any other manufacturer any time, whether or not the GM product is actually better, this we all know. BTW-The new Accord's 4 cylinder VTEC/5sp auto trans. is better than any combination than GM could possibly construct at the same price point.

~alpha
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    MALIBU topics please!!

Save the "I hate GM", "Beemers rule", and "You are an idiot for liking Brand X" for other forums!
    Thanks tomcat360.

Lissen up folks!

:)
    I could say the same of your interest in a GM product.. like you would every buy one... not.

FYI, I have owned 2 Hondas in the past.
    this is real entertainment, now I can cancel my cable. I'm gonna go make some popcorn. What time is the feature match?

Sorry.......carry on with the Malibu discussion
    ok, if you say that GM makes some of BMW's transmissions, then why aren't they in any of their own cars????
  • cornellpremedcornellpremed Member Posts: 58
    The 5-speed automatic transmission GM makes for BMW, and others, is used in the Cadillac CTS.

If you don't have anything to contribute other than troll remarks, why bother posting?
    Folks, it is past time we get back to the subject of this discussion.

Capiche? If not, feel free to email me, but off-topic posts need to stop.
    Got a copy of the Malibu CD. Nothing really new on it but an interesting marketing promo. Not much on the Maxx either.

:-(
    the malibu cd was too complex......nice idea. too time consuming.

the tv ads are good.
This discussion has been closed.