Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• obriendmobriendm Member Posts: 7
    This is my first post - although I read the site often, having had a 97 Bu before getting my current truck. I was just at our local auto show today and saw the new Bu and the Maxx. Overall much better than the previous generation - esp in fit/finish - but material choice still trails that of the Accord (IMO it's about on par with Camry). If GM wants to regain any midsize market, the interior designers need to buy an Accord (esp with leather). The HVAC controls glide (the Bu clunks), the leather could have come from the $50K 530i across the way (the ultralux is OK and different but you can tell it's nowhere near as nice), the glovebox even felt solid and sturdy when slammed, and where's the rear center armrest in the Bu? It's these little things that, if corrected, could move the Bu to the head of the class - styling and engines are equal IMO for 85% of the buying public.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    could be tucked inside the back seat, like in the "Classic" Bu which I have
    There definately was no rear center armrest in either the LT sedan or the LS Maxx - which I found surprising - like you said, the 97-03 Bu's had em (at least the LS that I had). Could it be that the seat wouldn't fold as flat? I'm not sure. Otherwise the back seat seemed very comfortable. I also noticed that someone at the auto show reversed (facing backwards) the front headrests so they would not be intrusive. Has anyone else tried this?
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    obriendm -

For years now the Camry and Accord have been better built, better finished, more reliable and fully equipped much more expensive than an Malibu. They are also much more popular than a Malibu regardless of year. The Malibu is cheaper, much less expensive to maintain according to the "book" if you take it to a dealer, and is relatively durable. If finish and luxury are important to a buyer there are plenty of program car certified Park Avenues and Cadillac Devilles a year old with 25-30k mileage and priced about the same as a loaded Camry or Malibu. I bought an '03 Deville for the price of an Impala LS and there is no comparison. I have a 2001 Malibu LS. I drive it all over the place and so far it has cost me about
    $600 in repairs over 63,000 miles. You'll pay practically that for a couple of Camry 15 and 30k mileage "checkups" at a Toyota dealer.
    I totally agree with you on maintenance costs, and I am not questioning the reliability - my 97 Bu only had a faulty headlight switch and AC control replaced over 90K miles before being totaled in a front end collision (someone ran a red and hit me as I was making a left on an arrow). But why should I have to accept lower levels of material quality (as I said the fit on the 04's are on par) at the same price range? Many people would gladly pay more for better perceived quality (again reliability is really no longer a big issue anymore and the Bu's only cheaper with incentives). The Bu's interior isn't bad enough to disuade someone from buying it, but it's not going to win over people from Honda/Toyota either. And I don't want something as large as a Park Ave or Deville (and an Accord's interior is MUCH nicer than the Buick's IMO). Look, I'm a big fan of the American auto industry and what they do for this country in terms of jobs, taxes, charities, etc. I just want to see its products go head-to-head, not compete solely on price.
    I bought the Deville mainly so that my wife could drive people around and sell real estate and also for road trips. Actually I prefer the Malibu on trips of 200-400 miles. You don't have to sit on the floor to see under the sun visor and the car handles a lot better. Actually my repair cost was for a fuel pump I didn't need and a new ignition module. The car wouldn't consistantly read the key and an independent mechanic thought it was a fauly fuel pump. The dealer diagnosed the problem accurately and replaced the module. So much for the mechanic. I also replaced the rotors.
    I agree with you that there is no reason why -if we can put someone on the moon - we can't build a car with the same quality inherent in a Camry. The car magazines (especially CR which would recommend a soap box derby racer if it was made in Japan) love the Camry -"practically a Lexus", quiet, hushed, etc etc. You can buy a base Camry for about the same price as a Malibu with the same equipment. The downside is maintenance cost (cars are very reliable but checkups and routine service is costly) and lack of a dealer network in small towns. We have a Toyota dealer here in Clovis, NM but not Hyundai or Kia. I assume that GM has market researchers who determine what customers like but there must be a reason that Camrys far outsell Malibus. I agree on the quality issue. There is no reason why GM can't meet or beat any Japanese or Korean car.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    Camry LE's $16,800.00
    Accord LX's $ 18,800.00
    All with Automatic, air pw/pl,AMFM-CD, etc.
    THESE ARE NOT ONE ONLYS-BUT ALL IN STOCK....
    This is what the Malibu is fighting in some parts of the country. And the quality is better as stated on the above cars.
    The base Malibu with a 4 and automatic and a few options runs about 20k .I don't know what rebates are currently available. The Camry and Accord might hold their resale better but the downside of this for someone trying to sell one at the recommended Kelley price is that a new one doesn't cost much more. Hertz wants about 15k for last year's used ones with 25k and up mileage. Not much reason to purchase one used. Malibus however are around 11k.
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    We have a 2002 LS. I don't notice it has a rear armrest...
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    GM is the most aggressive rebate/0% interest company around..yet the Malibu's aren't covered. I think this has to do with their long term strategy of weaning consumers from predictable, high rebates. Quite frankly I would have bought a new Malibu if the rebates were in line with the rebates on other GM products. But they weren't and aren't.

Toyota Camry's have high perceived value, and most people still view dealer "specials" as come-ons, bait and switch, a hassle, etc (which they aren't!). Therefore salting the Sunday ads with low Camry LE prices doesn't "cheapen the brand" (you don't get the same low prices on other Camrys).

It's too bad that GM's attempt to "hold the line" starts with the 'Bu.

But anyway, next year there should be a more competitive 4 cylinder option...I am fond of 4's and one magazine reported slightly better "balance" with the 4 (less weight up front). On the other hand, I'd probably have to order a car to get it optioned the way I'd want it - just a 4, but with ABS....
    Look in the middle of the back seat. The armrest is integrated into it right about the middle. Unless they didn't include it for 2002
    We have always had a car seat in the middle of the back seat. I guess we never paid much attention. I'll check.
    I have a 2001 LS (cloth upholstery) and I can guarantee that there is no armrest. The split seats fold down. Perhaps they put one in the cars with leather. Speaking of back seats, the absolutely ugliest back seat of any car is found in the Buick LeSabre Custom - very plain. The Malibu seat is far better looking.
    Maybe they did away with it with the 2000 (or was it 2001?) model changes. I know my 97 LS (cloth)had it and my brother's 98 LS (leather) had it. Seems odd that they would delete that, but, as I said, the two 2004's didn't have it either.
    Checked, no arm rest. Not a big deal for us, just curious.
    They deleted glovebox lock also after either '99 or '00
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    And all the deletions (esp on the Impala, which I own) are what is probably going to push me into the import camp this summer. PRNDL lit indicator on console, coin holder, seat pockets, glove box lock and light, etc.

My theory is if they cut this stuff I CAN see, what did they do to lessen durability while saving costs on the hard parts I can't see--the engine, tranny, etc.?

I hope Mr. Lutz is happy with his cost savings. They scared me away from the Maxx and probably into a Subaru Legacy GT (then again, GM owns 20 percent of Fuji Heavy)
    Online petitions are taken about as seriously as dogs baying at the moon. (think about it, the average signer could be a 13 year old who doesn't even own a Toyota Camry, much less a GM product...or employees of competitors and their suppliers)

A well written letter and, if needed, a legal action where you are represented by an attorney are far more effective...
    They are about as useful as class action suits. I remember the Audi one. I had a 1986 5000S -it was a total lemon and a 50,000 mile throwaway (that is when the warranty ended) although I never had a problem with unintended acceleration. The class action suit against Audi gave the participants a discount on another Audi! Since you couldn't give away an Audi the result was a joke. The only winners were the lawyers. Now the car magazines are praising Audi to the hilt just like they did when the '84 came out - far ahead of its competitors in its design. How soon we forget.
    By the way, GM seems to delete standard stuff on virtually every car each year. On Cadillac DeVille the electrochromatic left side mirror ended up in a package for 2003 and now the base radio does not have a cassette deck. They even charge $50 for a "trunk kit" -mat and truck net-. Ditto with the Malibu's radio. My 2001 LS has a cassette/CD radio. The new ones don't. The 2002 Impala LS had the most standard equipment - lots of stuff was taken away for 2003 and put in packages. It seems like the best equipped cars are one ones that come out a year after introduction.
    By that time, they have worked out most bugs, but haven't deleted much stuff yet :-)
    That wasn't true with the Cadillac Deville and the Impala LS but one has to check the brochures when the new models come out to compare them. You can always buy a year old one if they have taken too much away on a new one.
  • free_bsdfree_bsd Member Posts: 9
    Good call on the "smarter" dealership. The differences between smarter and the wild dog were like night and day. Thanks for the tip!
    and happy motoring :)
    ugly but practical. But I still cannot understand why GM is so afraid of creating a pretty Chevrolet car (Corvette aside, though it did have a fat [non-permissible content removed] until 2005). Why is it so difficult to create several designs and have focus groups tell them which one they like the most? Quite a few people buy vehicles based on looks, all other things being equal. Wake up, Mr. Lutz!
    I notice an increasing number of late model midsize sedans have a middle backseat that's so convexed and narrow that it's almost useless. These are supposed to be 5-passenger sedans. Plus it makes it more difficult to fit a car seat there, which is the safest place. Why why? Why do they have to make the seats like that?
  • beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    I just came from the NHTSA site, where they now have the '04 Malibu (base sedan, not the Maxx)listed with a 4-star rating. I'm surprised it didn't do better...I thought a 5-star rating was GM's stated goal for this car. Or maybe I'm dreaming.
    By the way, you all might make a note of the fact that the 2004 Malibu Classic or "Chevrolet Classic"
    that is being sold to fleets and rental car companies is pretty much a base 2003 Malibu with power windows, door locks, CD radio, cruise, auto, AC ,base cloth interior and a 140hp 4 cyl engine. So much for picking up a bargain Malibu LS at the end of the year. I assume that rental car companies such as Hertz and Enterprise which sell their own cars will put these in the fleet instead of the new design 2004's. It will be interesting to see if this happens.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I used to love to buy new designs, because they often have great new features or added value, but there is also merit to buying a proven design with all the bugs out...perhaps the Malibu Classic will be such a car, coming off rental. The Malibu always got good marks from the car magazines and CR. One with the Ecotec 4 might not be so bad...for pure utility.
    "Classic" is only for rental agencies and taxis. It's shocking to see that quite a few cabs here in Vancouver are Chevy Luminas. They must be at least 7 years old and with probably 250-300 thousand miles on them. Maybe Chevy ain't that bad after all, hehehe
    150,000 miles plus and going strong on my 2000 Impala, and it ain't no fleet car. I do not remember any glowing reports on the old Malibu in CR.
    Micweb -

If you are looking for a decently equipped Malibu , I wouldn't wait for a Classic but would pick up a Hertz 2003 Malibu LS. It has lots of equipment,folding back seats, power seat, and a good V6 engine. Unfortunately every year standard stuff comes off the Malibu -in 2001 the LS had a standard cassette/CD radio with RDS. In 2003 this is an option. A plain non-RDS CD radio is standard.
    The Classic is nothing much - even worse engine wise than the 2003 base model. It is bad enough to try and pass in the 50-70 mph range with the 6. I can imagine doing it in a 4.
  • norbnancynorbnancy Member Posts: 118
    150000 miles on your 2000 Impala---time for a 04 Malibu LS. I had a 2000 Impala LS and traded it for a LeSabre last year after 41000 miles. Had the typical steering problem that a very poor dealer would not fix. Le Sabre is a nice car, not as much fun to drive as a ImpalaLS. This Feb while in Florida my 93 Fleetwood blew the metal brake line and gave me a thrilling few minutes. Fortunately, no collision. Stopped at a Chev dealer in New Smyrna Beach and traded for a Malibu LS with 1SB package. My intent was to trade for another Impala LS but after matching feature for feature, specs and price, the Malibu made better sense. The downsizing from a Fleetwood is an experience, but I really like the Malibu. For a mid size sedan, it is loaded with features. No dissapointments yet. john clineii, you should stop and try one. Enjoy the ride.
  • njscribenjscribe Member Posts: 23
    Interesting car-dealing, norbnancy! But as a current malibu maxx owner who spent some time driving someone else's '91 fleetwood, I would recommend the maxx as a better alternative than the malibu sedan for downsizers from the big caddy. The longer maxx wheelbase (six inches more than malibu sedan) makes for an around-town ride that is comparable to the luxury-boat's and the rearseat legroom may be even superior to the cadillac's. To me that is the beauty of the unique maxx.
    Quite frankly, I am probably headed toward a Subaru Legacy 2.5GT when they come out in May/June, though now you have me thinking of test DRIVING a Maxx...

I had looked at them at the North American International Automobile Show in Detroit.
    Yes, the Maxx makes sense for roominess. Although the Maxx looks similar, I personally like the LS better. John Clineii, you should get a sales brochure for a Malibu, Impala and Subaru, match the important dimensions and specs. Then consider them in terms of the final expected price. I personally was impressed with the Malibu performance, quietness, trim level and, most importantly, list of features as compared to the 2000 Impala LS. I also took into consideration the Malibu is a mid size and the Impala, a full size. My brother bought a Subaru outback last summer. It is a nice driver but, considering my preferences, it not on my radar screen. Fuel mileage-- last tank full,30.6 mpg over 422 miles combination city/ country driving. One of the features I like is the delayed locking feature.- gives you several seconds to get back into your Malibu to get your keys that you would otherwise would have locked inside. Enjoy the ride.
    I thought it was an RV. Are you guys downsizing from an RV to a Malibu?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Like Mom--I shrunk the kids! A Fleetwood is a model of Cadillac. It is not a Fleetwood Deville. I had a Fleetwood Brougham, 1993. Rear wheel drive, lots of luxury, lots of room.I had it for 7 years and enjoyed it but, lots of repairs were on the horizon and it was time for a change. The name Fleetwood is used by a motor home manufacturer. Cadillac recently sold the rights to the Fleetwood name to a body company. "Big Mistake". It was not difficult to down size as I have a Buick LeSabre at home which gives me enough size. Another Malibu feature that I like; 4- wheel disc brakes with anti-lock and traction control. Not all mid size cars have this. Also fold down front passenger seat back. I can fit a 10 ft. 2x4 inside with the rear seat & front seat down and the trunk closed. I know of no other mid size that can do that. Think--- Don't even have to hang a red flag on the back of the 2x4. Unless you want to. Enjoy the ride.
  • deminindeminin Member Posts: 214
    Occasionally, I see people referring to the Malibu as a "rental car", with the inference that this is a negative. However, I see it differently. Hertz, Avis, etc., does a lot of research before they buy their cars, and I am sure that they are looking for something that is comfortable, reliable, and cost effective. After all, they are in business to make a profit, and they need an affordable car that will not screw up their bottom line. If they are choosing the Malibu, they are saying that this car will stand up to the abuse that many people give to rentals, and will not require excessive maintainance. The cost per mile on the Malibu must be quite a bit less than many of the imports, or we would be seeing fleets of Camcords at the airports. So, when I hear someone deriding the Malibu as being a fleet vehicle, I question whether or not they have checked out the logic behind Hertz/Avis/etc., decisions.
    Deminin, I agree with your evaluation. There are other factors also; ease of repair, parts accessibility, numerous dealer locations nationwide,finance availability through the factory, end of use repurchase agreements,and more that I am not aware of. Many referred to the Lumina as a fleet car. So what. It was, and still is a reliable product. I had it for 45000 miles and gave it to my daughter who is still driving it at 105000 miles. The only unscheduled repair was a recent water pump and belt tensioner. The Lumina still looks good in and out and does not show wear commensurate with 105000 miles. Some other features that surprised me with my Malibu LS; Trunk liner material on the underside of the rear deck lid. My Cadillac Fleetwood didn't even have it. Cast wheels that are easy to clean,Tilt/telescoping steering column,Small plastic clip on left side of windshield to hold a parking pass or handicap card etc. I am not aware of any other car that has this. I'll say it again..... the Malibu is a sound value. Enjoy the ride.
    Of course, Malibus and other rental cars in the big rental car companies are disposed of before the factory warranty runs out but downtime is important. I haven't purchased a Toyota or Honda for years because of their stupid non existent ordering system. You essentially tell the dealer generally what you are looking for and he checks to see what is coming in. You then have to search Dallas, Ft. Worth, Albuquerque, El Paso, etc for a car that is equipped like you want it in the right color. You eventually give up and take the nearest thing you can. With a Malibu you can go down the list and have the car specially built for you. I figured when Camrys were built in the US this would hold true for them but it didn't. I don't think that Malibus are as sophisticated as Camrys; they aren't as quiet, and they aren't as well built and finished but there are a million Chevy dealers around; huge discounts are available, Chevy dealers don't act like they are parting with the Romanov crown jewels, any gas station can fix them, parts are cheap,lots of rebuilt aftermarket parts are around and they are dependable at least for 50-75k miles. You also don't have to replace a timing belt.
  • 37453745 Member Posts: 152
    The 2004 Malibu fit and finish is as good as any other car on the market. At work my boss who drives the latest BMW and, a colleague, who has the latest Accord compared all three cars for fit and finish while they were parked next to each other. Everybody conceded that the Malibu was up to, and, in some respects, even better than the imports.

The Ecotec engine is a very sophisticated engine as well. For an engine that only weighs 240lbs, it is way out front for efficiency.
    Must add this - the suspension on the 2004 Malibu is also very sophisticated. Aluminum forged wishbone suspension up front and aluminum alloy pressed wishbone suspension at the back. This adds up to very low unsprung weight and gives the Malibu the most comfortable ride ever. With the double counter weight smoothed Ecotec engine, this has to be the smoothest 4cyl. car I've ever driven. Next time you see a 2004 Malibu, take a peek under it.
  • andy71andy71 Member Posts: 96
    I respectfully disagree. I test drove a lot of mid size sedans before purchasing my 04 Camry and Malibu was on of them. Interior wise it definitely wasn't as good as the Camry SE or the Accord LX but better than the Nissan Altima. There were small panel gaps in the Malibu that wasn't present in the Accord or Camry. The steering wheel was too skinny and odd looking. The buttons that control the stereo were too small. My biggest complaint is the engine that sounds rough once the tach reaches 3000 rpm. It doesn't have the silky smoothness of the Accord or Camry.
    You are welcome to disagree. I stick by my opinion.
    But the 2004 Malibu is light years ahead of the 2003 and is a contender now when it wasn't in the past. Frankly, I don't know why the Camry is so popular. It is expensive unless you get the LE with a 4 and standard equipment but it does hold its resale value at least in the short term (3 years or so). The Malibu is cheaper to own if you follow the service requirements in the owner's manual. There is less and less difference between the Camry and Malibu.
    After years of making high-quality vehicles, Toyota and Honda rightfully deserve the benefit of the doubt of the consumers. Those unionized folks in Detroit should have thought more about making less lemons, as opposed to demanding fatter and fatter paychecks and benefits. Finally, when Toyota and Honda ate a sizeable chunk of the market share, it appears at least GM workers woke up and decided to make better cars. GM should not stop, it should agressively pursue perfection, just like Toyota (and I suspect Honda) does.
  • andy71andy71 Member Posts: 96
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6960.

This is exactly what I felt about the Malibu. They need a car that will stand out rather than blend in. Having another 30 to 40 hp can't hurt either since Camrys Accords and Altimas are packing anywhere from 225 to 250 Hp
This discussion has been closed.