Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• e2helpere2helper Posts: 1,002
    Interesting, you have a 2004 Malibu, correct?

I realize this is your experience with vehicle but it doesn't make complete sense to me at this time. The ignition key with its internal transponder is the actual device that the vehicle anti-theft system uses for enabling starting (you are using the same key in your scenerio, right?)

If the content theft system wasn't being disabled with your key fob you would be getting horn honking when you open doors.

You are doing an actual start with the ignition key, right? Not a remote start (if you have this option).

Respond back on what engine you have 4 or 6 cylinder.

If I come up with any other comments I will post again.

Thanks again for the information
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Posts: 588
    After reading that the key fob / radio customization feature was working on the '04 Bu's, I tried it on our LT. It works great, and once I had explained HOW it worked (and HOW to use it properly) to my significant other, she loved it too! (My 03' Trailblazer LT doesn't have the DIC system, so I didn't get to take advantage of this feature for it, but I'd read about this function on the TB board first).

Too bad they removed it from the '05. It seems to me the better solution would have been to publicize it. :(
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    GM removed performance shift mode of Pontiac GP GTP and Buick Regal GS starting from year 2001. The cars were capable to accelerate 0-60 in about 6.5 secs in the mode, but it takes more than 7 seconds with the feature deleted.

The same reason: most of people simply does not read manuals, and many do not listen for explanations. My wife once touched the PS button accidently on our Regal, and was sure that something awful happened with our car. Like no oil, or something of this kind. It was at home. She sent our son to awaken me...

A lot of angry words were told addressing GM, the dealer, and the car which "broke" just couple of months after it was bought. I can see why GM does not like it.

What a shame!
  • motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    I finally got to drive the new 04 Malibu my father's colleague leased. He is paying $325 a month for 36 months which includes all routine and non routine maintenance. He seems very happy with the car. The car feels quite peppy considering it only has 200 Hp. That puts it at the bottom of the V6 powered family cars. But since this is a pushrod engine the torque comes in at a relatively low rpm which is actually good for most stop and go driving. The car also handles better than my 03 Camry LE V6 which seems to completely isolate me from everything else ( no road feel). The difference between the Camry and Malibu is that the Camry accelerates a bit quieter than the Malibu which gets a bit harsh above 3000 rpm; although both cars cruise very quietly. Overall, I think Chevy has a winner on its hand. My dad's colleague says the car puts a smile on his face every time he cranks the ignition.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,340
    thanks very much motown for taking the time to tell us. While I can't compare the Maxx with the Camry (I don't fit in anything made by Toyota for starters), I reiterate my earlier comments regarding my side by side comparison with the Accord. The Accord is indeed an amazing car to drive. Very tight, great engine, and a PERFECT transmission (although it is funny the tranny is the thing that has prompted recent issues with the Accord for whatever reason). The Maxx is superior in interior room for the driver. I felt like I could totally relax in the thing, and attain the perfect driving position. All in all, while the Bu/Maxx is not a perfect car by any means (rediculously small glove box; no two level center arm rest storage), I agree whole heartedly that it is a winner. I'm kind of amazed that the Maxx has not flown off the shelves so far; maybe if reliability proves well it will. But right now, I still say it screams value, and should be selling better. As for the sedan, if the rear leg room was a bit better, maybe older adults more interested in adult passengers sitting back there would consider the Bu over the competition. But since the rear legroom is not much better than the competition, perhaps there is not enough "luxury" to put it over the top. I'm still looking forward to my Maxx however.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    You'll be happy to note the favorable article on the Maxx in the July issue of Car and Driver.

~alpha
  • 37453745 Posts: 152
    The car is a 04 4cyl. Malibu. Sorry if I was a bit vague.

I do not have the remote start function. This is the sequence of events - I unlock the car with the fob, insert the key into the ignition, turn the key, the car cranks but does not start. I take out the key and, while sitting in the drivers seat, lock/unlock the car using the button on the fob. I insert the key again and the car now cranks and starts. If I take out the key and re-insert it and turn it without lock/unlocking using the fob, the car will not start.

This has happened several times. However, when I use the spare fob and spare key - I am the only driver of this vehicle - I never have a problem. So, the problem could be with the first key/fob.
    yeah, thanks a bunch alpha. I'll keep looking for it. You had mentioned it earlier, but I could not find it in the issue I picked up in the drug store earlier this evening. Maybe I justed missed it when I glanced through it.
  • The C&D article is in the July issue on page 67... see my post on the Maxx board.
    Oldandtired1950
    I also went to drugstore but they just had the June issue. Thx for head's up - I'll check later
  • mr_botsmr_bots Posts: 229
    I'm planning on getting a car by August. I was considering a Rav4, Grand Am, Equinox, and a Malibu. Yesterday I drove them all and got a quote from the dealer and it looks like it going to be a Malibu. The Grand Am was quickly taken off the list when I drove it because the seat was as low as it would go and my hair was touching the ceiling. The Rav4 was nice but in usual Toyota sales, they took like $500 off the sticker. I really enjoyed the Equinox and Malibu, but the Chevy dealer quoted me $15,700 for a 2004 Malibu LS with XM, Spoiler, and the package with Remote start, curtain air bags, power driver seat. The price is with my Supplier Discount the $4,000 gm loyalty rebate, and the $1,000 rebate. The Equinox didn't have the two rebates and ends up being like $5-6k higher. How are the 04 Malibus holding up, any rattles or squeaks that have developed since you bought them?
  • mtrushmtrush Posts: 9
    One feature I really like about the Malibu is that it offers the option of side-impact airbags. However, when I checked dealer inventories on gmbuypower.com, it appears only the LS and LT models have this option. I really don't need a V-6, though. Does anyone know if the 2005 base model will offer this feature as an option ?
    mr bots: are you saying that you got the supplier's discount PLUS the $4,000 off??? The certificate states that it cannot be combined. Please, do tell!
    Actually you can get a 2004 Malibu Base Sedan with the Side Head Curtain airbags, likely it isn't a popular combination which is why you don't see it in dealer inventory.

Same thing for 2005 model. However in 2005 the side airbag option changes because you get side airbags in front seat as well.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    Are you SURE you can get the suppliers discount AND rebates? My dealer is emphatic this is NOT allowed. I'd hate for you to encounter a nasty surprise in the F & I (finance and insurance) room at the dealer!
  • mr_botsmr_bots Posts: 229
    I did read the brochure and it stated that the $4000 loyalty program was not available with any other incentives, and also that it included 2003 models only(but I'm not going to tell the dealer they're giving me $4000 more than they should). The dealer's quote included both the supplier's discount, the $4000 gm loyalty rebate, and a $1000 rebate for a total of about $6600 below sticker.
    wow, give me your dealer's name. I'm comin' out to buy a Maxx at that price!!!!!
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    That money comes from GM. GM won't pay it if you are not eligible. And you will end up owing the dealer the difference. You assign the rebates to the dealer (who WILL come after you when the dealer doesn't get paid) and pay net OR you pay the gross and end up not getting the rebate.

There is no free lunch.
  • 37453745 Posts: 152
    My base model 2004 4cyl. Malibu came with side airbags, cruise control and disc brakes all round. The disc brakes were not an option and are now standard on base models. The color is navy metalic blue which looks very good.
  • envoyleeenvoylee Posts: 6
    Just thought I would add some info. about the Malibu from a new owner (actually my wife). She was not crazy about the looks at first, but now loves it. Silver LS with most options (she didn't want leather, so no LT). I can say that it drives great, good mpg, peppy, lots of trunk space, and good value. She plans to keep it for a long time. We looked at every sedan out there (Camry, Accord, Altima, Passat, Civic, Corolla, Jetta, Subaru, Galant), and others I would just as soon forget. I did much research also. Nothing we compared came close to want WE wanted. I would not hesitate to recommend a Malibu to anyone. By the way, I have had bad experience with Toyota, and a friend with Honda. Lemons are everywhere. I have had good luck with Chevy Blazer (1996) and GMC Envoy (2003). Go see, you'll like it.
  • mtrushmtrush Posts: 9
    The reader that said the Base+side air bag combination is rare is correct. I did some inquiry and found only one such vehicle in the entire state of FL ! Should I be concerned with the mechanical integrity of this vehicle since it is apprantely manufactured in tiny quantity.
    Not to worry. It is just a different combination of parts. The only thing that is unique in that vehicle would be the wiring harnesses.
    hey, congrats to the Malibu for winning Motor Week's Driver's Choice Award for best Family Sedan 2004
  • kpugh2kpugh2 Posts: 20
    The wife's 04 LS w/ sun roof has a dent about 3" in diameter above the "B" pillar next to corner of sunroof.
    I do not see any surface defects and of course she has not idea what happen. I must say she is careful where she parts the car.
    Her car is black and in 90*+ heat could cause this problem? She does exceed the speed limits 75 mph is common could closing the sunroof at speeds cause this problem? The big question is this a GM problem? Has anyone else exp. this problem? The car is 6+ months old and 12K miles.
    Does anyone know of another GM Malibu forum that could be of help?

Thanks
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Posts: 625
    Kpugh, sounds like maybe a stone or a piece of hail might have caused such a damage. Perhaps a meteorite?
  • triedntrutriedntru Posts: 73
    Kpugh2,

Could you be a little more descriptive on the dent? Particularly, look at the paint on the dent. Is the paint broken, cracked, chipped? Or does it appear that the dent happened before the car was painted?

Is the dent circular like an impact from an object, or is it creased?
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Posts: 625
    a grapefruit-sized meteorite crashed through a roof of a house in New Zealand. Something like that would definitely leave a dent on a vehicle!
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Posts: 758
    Since we were talking about this the other day, I thought some people might be interested in this article.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2004-06-11-hybrids-fuel-econo- my_x.htm
  • catecate Posts: 8
    What is the supplier's discount? Is it about the authorization number from a GM employee? Thanks.
  • catecate Posts: 8
    Hi, I read some posts here and found some people have problems with the electrical power steering on their '04 Malibu. I am considering to get one, so really care this. Can anybody here tell me whether this is a popular defect and whether GM has recalled on this? Thanks a lot.
This discussion has been closed.