Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• bh628bh628 Member Posts: 100
    Hi, what's the GM card? I am just starting to look at domestic cars, after falling in love w/a Camry LE V6. But I have long legs, and the Camry doesn't have deep seat pans for thigh support. I am hoping that the Chevy Malibu does! Since I am looking for every way to save money on my '05 car, I would love to find out about the GM card. Thanks, I'll probably be asking other newbie questions, but I'll try looking over old posts first. i have concerns about vibration from adjustable pedals (I heard that vibration is a problem somewhere) and about this electric steering.

Thanks so much!
    GM has a deal where they will let you take the car for a whole WEEKEND. they do a credit check to make sure you buy the car first. info in 09/04 Money Magazine.
  • 37453745 Member Posts: 152
    Ok, pricewise it compares but not performance wise. I misunderstood you. In any case the 4cyl. Malibue is still better if you can get it for the same price as a Civic.

The V6 Malibu gets better mileage than the 4cyl. in mixed driving ie, city and highway, whereas the 4cyl. gets better mileage on the highway.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    GM card is a credit card (Mastercard) issued by some bank (Household?), but co-branded with GM. You use the card as any other credit card. You receive 5% back toward purchase of most of GM cars (not Saturn and Saab usually), subject to time limit (7 years) and limit for any specific model.

Even small charges count. E.g. during the year you are spending $3000 on groceries, $2000 on gas, $1000 on phone and Internet. $6000 total, or $300 toward your new GM car if you charge everything on GM card. In 5 years it will be $1500 of free money. Even before accounting for big purchases, like computer, furniture, or car repair.

Not all merchants accept credit cards, but you will be surprised how many do. I am charging visits to doctors and dentists and auto insurance on the card, but cannot charge life insurance. Charging cable, and Internet, but not electricity. Local phone, but not long distance (my provider accepts card payments, but it takes too much time). Parking, but not haircut. Chinese restaurants, but not McDonald.
    I just happened upon your post, and I just got so dissappointed. I have long legs, and also find little thigh support in cars. I was thinking about the Chevy Malibu, after givig up on the Camry. Consumer reports lets you search on "thigh support." I haven't tried the Malibu yet.
    But after your post, I am really dissappointed! I don't know what to expect, now! :(
    You aren't the only one with this need. Although I am a 5'8" woman, my legs go up about 3" taller than my 6' husband. I notice that your posting was almost a year ago. What did you decide on getting? Thanks, J
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    I haven't seen that article, but that's basically what I just did this past weekend when I traded in my '03 Trailblazer for an '04 Silverado Z-71 ext. cab pickup. I went looking on Saturday, but by the time we were ready to talk numbers, most of the financial institutions were closed for the weekend. So I drove the truck on the dealership's gas all weekend, then returned Monday to work out the paperwork and complete the deal. We did sign a tentative agreement for financing, but it turned out that we're not eligible for membership at the credit union the dealership was looking at. We ended up with an even better rate through GMAC when all was said and done. (Note that the truck had 5 miles on it when we took it out for a test drive Saturday, and over 200 when we returned to finish the deal on Monday- if the dealership hadn't come to agreeable terms, they'd have been out of money for the fuel as well as having taken a practically undriven vehicle and run up what amounts to demo car mileage on it, while my own trade-in sat in a parking space. Not a bad deal for me at all :D).

As far as the Malibu goes, it's great that so many people are getting the deals they are, but it really is going to kill resale / trade value on the cars. Not that this matters to me, as I plan to hang on to our '04 LT sedan for at least four years. (Would've kept the TB longer than that, but we've discovered that the lack of a pickup bed is a fairly big shortcoming for our family in this stage of life..).
    Hi, I am on the board to learn about Malibus. I have driven or sat in many of the imports. I like the sear up and down, sounds like your method. I have yet to see a front headrest that can't be reversed. Usually there's a button you push to raise and lower the headrest. Simply work with that till you lift the headrest off, turn it around, and put it back on. Works great! Hope you are still checking the boards, as this is an older message.
    Hi,
    Can you give me info on the loyalty discount??? I own a Chevy, and my husband owns a Toyota. I read about loyalty discounts in a great book by James Bragg. I was able to get Toyota to give us a $500 discount, in writing, good for one year. That's when I thought I would be buying a Camry. The Camry did't work out in the end, and I was wondering if Chevy gave a loyalty discount. About how much is it, and how did you get it? Who do I contact to get it?
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    Resale value won't be a problem if you keep your car for 10+ years. Modern cars will last at least that long without giving you major reliability problems. And if you like to drive a new car every 4-5 years, then you'd pay for it one way or another
    Hi,
    I was researching the Chevy Malibu in Consumer Reports, and decided to compare the braking and accleration against the Accord and Camry. I was very happily surprised! I have the results from the 2004 Malibu base model, the 2003 Accord Ex, and the 2002 Camry LE. All 4-cylinder; but it looks like the Malibu is 2.2L and the others are 2.4. Acceleration was only seconds slower by the Malibu. But, there's a slightly shorter braking distance by the Malibu than the 2 other cars! I don't know if the statistics on the 2004 models of Camry and Accord are better now, but it looks like Chevy can be proud! I hope the long term reliability is good!! :)
    Hi all,
    I was looking thru my choices for a Malibu in Edmunds. I decided on a LS 1SB because I really wanted the head curtain airbags (after seeing insurance crash test results), and the 6-way power driver seat that Edmunds listed as options.
         Just for fun, and to check Edmund's MSRP, I then went to "build your own" on the Chevy site. When looking at the 1SB, it shows a spoiler there. I do NOT want a spoiler. And I don't want to pay for a premium stereo.
         So I tried to build a 1SA and add the options, but when it came to try to find dealer stock in my area dealerS, it came up with the 1SB package. I guess that's the closet thing.
         Also, I didn't see anything anywhere about the 6-way power driver seat. This is really important to me, as I have back pain and need to adjust the seat properly.
         I haven't been to any lots yet, as I have been using this week of having back pain as a time to research. I called GM customer service and they said I don't have to have the spoiler, but how are the cars coming on the lots? And what about my beloved 6-way power driver's seat? Thanks
  • cofl02cofl02 Member Posts: 2
    Dear mr_bots,
    Did anyone tell you how to remove the front headrests? I have tried and tried to remove the headrests in my 1997 Malibu sedan and cannot get them out. There is no lever, button or notch to depress. There is only a plastic cover at the base of the steel rod that the headrest is mounted on.

If you have discovered the answer, please share it! Thanks,

Chris
  • mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    I did figure out how to remove the headrest in my 04 Malibu, but I don't think that will help you much on your 97. Sorry I couldn't really be any help, but I wish you good luck.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    How do you remove them??
    Its actually very simple. There is a button on each one of the plastic bases, one is obvious and is used to lower the head rest, on the other base there is a button that looks like a plastic cover for something, but it is a button and when pushed they just slide right out.
    Hi,
    I want to make sure I understand you before deciding on a '04 (if possible) or '05 Malibu. The option for air bags is improved for '05? I want the side chest airbag for my Malibu, after seeing the NHTSA and IIHS concerns about side impact. (I hope I am not scaring any '04 owners).
         So if I pick the option for side airbags on the '05, will I get both? Thanks
    I saw the engine block heater as an option for the Malibu. What is that and is it better? It's $35.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    bh: check out the options here on Edmunds new car page. I believe the thorax side airbags are standard on the '05. As for the engine block heater, I'm guessing you would only want this if you are living in a severely cold climate. Today's engine oils are so thin, I'm not sure why anyone would need one any more.
    Thanks, maxx4me!
    I just wanted to make sure about the new airbags, so now I know I'd rather get the '05.
         The thing is, I am not sure how accurate Edmunds and Kelly websites are. They both list 6-way power driver seat as an LS 1SB option, and the GM "build your own site" doesn't list them as an option until you get to the LT style. Yes, I did recheck my selections, and so I don't know why the discrepancy.
    Headrests are an important safety feature - they mitigate whiplash. Without a headrest, your neck may break, if you get rear-ended.
    I agree; and I think the Bu's headrests are perfectly placed. This is the first car I have ever owned where the headrests allow me to drive while resting my neck, and the first car where I felt my neck WOULD be protected from a rear end collision.
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    It is a power cord that plugs into AC power and is used to heat up an heater element inserted in engine block to warm it up. I think for Canadian vehicles it is standard equipment but probably useful in some areas of U.S. as well.
    Don't worry about me, I have my headrests in and in their proper position, I haven't driven with them out. I just learned how to take them out when I first got it, just checking everything out. I actually like their position, when resting your head your still looking straight ahead and still driving safely.
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    At least a few of us have found the extreme forward projection of the headrest to be a bit too far for comfort. When I sit in the seat, I like for my shoulders and whole back to be against the seatback, but with the headrest in our 'Bu, I can't rest my upper back in the seat. Instead, I find myself leaning forward just a bit, or else have a (literal) pain in the neck from compensating for the headrest angle.

BTW, I've found that if I recline the seatback from the fully upright position, I can get it more comfortable, but I much prefer to have my seats sit upright, and not "gangsta-style" like some I see on the roads. ;o)

(Maybe Chevy could offer adjustable tilt headrests, like the 2002 Trailblazers had, and then we could all get comfortable. Naaaaahhh. They've been too busy decontenting for that, and it would just cost them more money. They took that feature off the 03 and up TB's too. :o( ).
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    I've noticed latley that there are tons of new Malibus on the road. Did sales really spike up in Aug/Sept?
    me too. I'm seeing a TON of sedans in the DC area
    why on earth would anyone NOT like their car during the first 90 days??? What on earth did they buy the car for in the first place?....because they felt sorry for the salesperson?? The Bu can take a bow in 5 years when it is at the top of the chart; not now.
    Oh ok, it must be bad news then huh?

Give me a break!

Being tops in apeal then toping it with the interior award just isn't good news for some I guess.
  • tra2883tra2883 Member Posts: 79
    If what you're saying is true, then it would be accurate for all makes & models, not just the Malibu, so there would be no purpose to this survey. The Malibu still beat out the Camry, Accord, Altima, etc... And that's worth mentioning.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    not unless these new malibu owners cross shop the other cars. i think the malibu did so well because it's such an improvement over the previous model and other GM models. same for the much improved volvo S40. accord or a4 buyers are expecting good interiors.
    I ask again: why would anyone buy a car, and in less than 4 months, trash it in a meaningless survey?? It just doesn't make sense to me. Cars aren't built that badly anymore. So in short: who cares what new car owners think about their cars? It is long term reliability that matters.
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    then again you'll never know how you're really going to like your car until you spend some time in it. but then, who's going to admit they made a mistake.

i've notice jd powers initial survey results fuctulate a lot from one survey to the next and questioned their methodology. having said that GM deserves credit for doing so well with the new malibu.

i believe the malibu is a lot closer to the top asian cars then to the korean cars.
    venus: you are absolutely right. It is emotional decisions (and not empirical data) that drive JD Power survey results and skew them horribly. It is also emotional decisions that steer people away from the Malibu simply because it is a GM. I spent a LOT of time researching this vehicle before buying, and spent a lot of time driving everything else made under the sun. I'll say it a million times: the Bu is simply the best value on the market today. I just hope is stays that way. Time will tell.
    No doubt long term is more important BUT I still say this is a big first step for this all new model. GM should be proud and keep making better cars.
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    We recently moved to the northwest. On our first day here, we got rear ended. The bumper, rear quater panel, and light were taken out. The damage was only cosmetics. Fortunately the teenager was honest enough to take full responsibility and his insurance paid the bill. When the body shop worked on it, they burned a hole on the carpet and put a few more minor scratched on the car. Why can't these people be more careful?! Also now our CD player makes this background noise when playing, and the auto volumn feature quit working, possibly caused by the solvent fumes and dust? Does anybody know? This looks like a very decent body shop. I wonder what would've happened if we took our car to a no name backyard shop.
    My Bu has developed a horrible squeaking noise when braking. I went to a dealer and after a day they said "come, we fixed it." Sure enough, nothing fixed! I called the service guy and he told me: "Don't worry, it's not a safety issue." Well, no, it's not, it's an issue of people hundreds of feet away hearing me apply my brakes.

With an attitude like that, no wonder GM is losing the market share. And they charge close to a hundred bucks an hour labor!!! Go, Toyota! :)
    Sorry to hear about your experience tamu.

Is the auto volume feature the thing that makes the volume go up based on vehicle speed? If so maybe it got turned off somehow. There is a button on the radio to the left of the volume knob which says "Auto". Just press it and see what is displayed on the radio: Off, Low, Medium or High. Maybe the radio forgot the setting you had somehow?

In regards to CD player noise...does it come out of any particular speaker, does the AM/FM radio have similar noise or just the CD player?
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    My complaint is really directed at that independent body shop. But I second your comment nonetheless.

Good point e2helper! I'll try pushing that botton. The noise is limited to the CD player and seems to come out of all the speakers. The radio is fine. My guess is dust got into it. You can imagine how much dust all the welding in the shop can generate... We'll try to have it looked at at a chevy dealer.

BTW, we had the new caravan as a rental for 2 weeks. We really liked the dual auto doors and Stow-n-go. The 2nd row seats will always be occupied by car seats, but the holes in the floor are very handy. The caravan's transmission is a tad slow compared to the Malibu's (GM indeed makes the best gear boxes).
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    I was at a wedding in Calif. this weekend, and had as my rental car a Malibu LS V6. Overall, I thought it was a pretty impressive car. Here are my impressions of it vs the 02 Accord that I own.

In terms of power, the Malibu V6 was awesome--way ahead of my Accord 4 cylinder. Not a surprise, but I was impressed at the low end power. When you hit the accelerator the car jumps so much it can almost shock you. My wife loved it. If I can believe the mpg indicator on the car, it's quite economical too--26+ mpg. This confirms was Consumer Reports says about the V6--that it's more economical than some 4 cyl engines.

In terms of room, The bu was about equal to the Accord. Even though it's slightly narrower, I think, it seem to have the same hip room as my Accord.

In terms of the quality of the seat fabrics and plastics, however, the Accord is a clear winner. Even my eight year old son without me asking noticed that the fabric was a lot rougher and less nice than in the Accord. The plastics, although better than in some GM cars, still looked and felt cheap compared to the Accord.

Handling seemed almost equal, although I'd give a slight edge to the Accord.

The trunks were also almost equal, but I'd give the edge to the bu, which seemed roomier.

Overall, it seemed like a good car--the poor man's Saab. If they had a manual trans version, I'd be more interested, but it seemed like a damn good car.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    great report Benjamin. I do believe the Bu is the class leader in interior size as well. Your actual gas mileage was about 2mpgs lower than what the display said; nonetheless, 24 (in town did you say??) is very good, and great for a 6 cylinder. Thanks again for taking the time to write your report. Good Luck.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    I definitely think the Malibu needs a more upscale engine than the current 3.5L. They should offer the 3.9L from the G6 or the 3.6L from the CTS/LaCrosse as an option. I personally would prefer the DOHC 3.6L engine. As far as interior goes I think if you compare the Malibu LS with a Camry LE the Malibu probably has the edge but if you compare the Malibu LT with the Camry XLE then definitely the Camry is better.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    The engine is the best thing about the Malibu. Powerfull and efficient - to the point of beating out the imports. Why change that for the sake of being "upscale"?
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Which import V6 does the Malibu beat? The only one I can think of is the Hyuandai Sonata. The only category it beats the import is fuel efficiency. It certainly doesn't beat them in refinment. Pushrod engine always has that thrashy roar when you push the gas pedal. Something a lot of import buyers don't like. The fact is the Malibu will never win any comparison test with its current powertrain.
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    I bought my Malibu because of the ohv engine, its easy to work on compared to the ohc, that?s why I refused the ohc 4 cyl base model. I get 35 mpg on the highway at 70 mph, my last 4 cyl with 115 hp only got 33 mpg. One big complaint for the ohc is they develop there power at high rpm, ohv power is at lower rpm. Great car, its more than I expected from GM.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    The Malibu beats all the imports for efficiency, and has plenty of power. It is plenty smooth, except to those that needs several matresses to cover a pea.
    I don't find the 3.5L unrefined at all. Some people seem to think this is the case, but I find it much smoother than and 4 cyl motor and close to those "hi tech" OHC mills.
    Next model year you will likely see another engine option available for Malibu ;)
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Maybe, but I think the priority is to be a value leader, not to offer the hottest, most upscale and trendy high-tech engine available.
    True, more likely the 3.9L OHV
This discussion has been closed.