Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• njdevilsrnnjdevilsrn Member Posts: 185
    Well, I finally did it. Last week we traded in the 2000 Malibu for a 2002 Dodge Intrepid SE. I'm not gonna gloat about the new car, because all new cars should run perfectly, as my Malibu should have. For the most part, it did. However, 3 trips to the dealer for an annoying rattle in the driver's rear end, and being without it for 5 days to have the engine re-built only to have it go back 3 days later because it overheated were enough to wear our patience thin. There was no sense to keep making payments on a car we knew we were not going to keep. So, I looked at Impala and Grand Prix because we were looking to upsize. The car with the most bang for the buck with the 0% financing and a 7 year/100000 mile powertrain warranty was the Dodge. Farewell Malibu, and good luck to the rest of you.
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    of that deal is the 7 yr 100,000 you will need it!
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Sorry to hear about your malibu. Love mine so far. I wish you good luck with your Intrepid. It's a nice car but you will need that warranty.

joe3891 - Let's not burst his bubble just yet. i would have went with the Impala over the Intrepid even with that 7 yr/100,000 warranty. There is a reason Chrysler stopped offering that warranty back in the mid 90's. It was costing them too much money. And their transmissions are not the best in the world. I hope the Daimler folks are installing their transmissions in the cars they are offering this warranty on instead of the regular Chrysler trannies. If not, look for Daimler Chrysler to be paying out some big bucks over the next few years.

IF you don't believe us, check out any site that offers reliability info.
    They were forced to do it because of no sales.I just hope the people have the time for the warranties,the dealership is also a boring place.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    I agree with the post above, you'll be needing the warranty. I live 20 miles from the plant that makes them and know people who work there. Scary stuff. Who knows, maybe they have improved. Given your luck with the Malibu, you're due for some luck.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Intrepid = Chrysler garbage.

'Nuff said.
  • njdevilsrnnjdevilsrn Member Posts: 185
    I was in no way putting down you people or the Malibu. I got rid of my car because GM built such a quality product that I needed the engine rebuilt at 9800 miles. I owned this vehicle and was making loan payments at 7% interest on the thing. Would you keep a car that had a rebuilt engine once it was off warranty? Would you keep making payments on something you knew you were getting rid of? I doubt it! I posted to say goodbye to the intelligent posters in here that I used to write with such as malibu99 and yurakm. I hope to have good luck with the new Intrepid. I wish I would have had good luck with the Malibu, but I didn't.

And as far as living near the factory goes, Ranger is built practically in my back yard. The liquor store and bar across the street do record business. Yet Ranger is one of the best made pickups on the road.
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    While I admire your loyalty to GM, I have drove one as a rental, and while it fills it's intended role well, it sure ain't no Intrepid.

As far as drunks building cars, see the link below for the JD Powers 2001 Initial Quality results. The Intrepid had the highest score of any domestic nameplate. Impala did well too, but apparently the Malibu is not on the list. Not sure why or where it would finish.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=3671

Time will tell on the quality, but the Malibu is not exactly known for it's stellar reputation in that area, but not a bad car either.

My 2000 Intrepid R/T came right in on the average, I had one problem from the factory that had to be fixed.

Now if GM could just find the time to actually build a full size rear driver, I would be interested.

• malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    Hey man good luck with your car. I hate it when forums turn into "this is garbag or that is garbage". Guys he got rid of his car and got something that makes him happy, isn't that what we all want? Just to like our cars? I don't recall any Malibu bashing from njdevilsm, he simply stated his car was bad , got rid of it and now has moved on, THAT is what people should do rather than waste time bashing a car. Hey man enjoy your Intrepid!
    Wait until I trade and people find out I am getting a Pontiac Aztek, can't wait to hear the comments. Don't get me wrong, I LOOOOVE my Malibu but I want something with more space and something that not everyone else is driving. Good luck!
    I realize you weren't putting down the Malibu, but I'm just not sure you will do much better with a Chrysler car. A friend of mine is an engineer at the plant and he doesn't think the car is very durable for the long haul. If he is saying that to me, I can only assume the worst. Like I said, you are due for some better luck. Perhaps some Diamler technology has found it's way into those cars.
    I'm sorry about my response. i didn't realize i was doing so much Intrepid bashing. I have the unfortunately pleasure of knowing 4 people who owned Intrepids (previous model) that transmissions died before 100,000 miles.

As far as space, styling and price, the Intrepid is a good buy. I do wish you better luck then you had with your Malibu.

malibu99 - Please don't tell me when you buy that Pontiac aztek. I don't think I could refrain myself. Get the Rendevous instead...PLEASE!!!!!!
    Actually the re-done 02 Aztek is not that bad. Check out the picture on Edmunds.
    heheheh Ok I'll tell you I got the Rendezvous instead, heheh. dindak is right, the 02 Aztek is nice, I was one that made fun of it when it first came out, but I saw the salsa model at the show and now I love it ;). I was aiming at the Trailblazer but the price climbs up quickly with options, so I am getting a semi loaded Aztek. Go ahead make fun of it, I actually find it fun to make fun at, it's different. Kinda like the kid with huge eye glasses and braces back in grade school.

I think njdevilsm was refering to the posts that Intrepid was Chrysler garbage, not your post. But that is just my take.
  • av8r4av8r4 Member Posts: 2
    It has been a while since I posted my last message here in Malibu country. We now have the car in Korea, after 20,000 miles of European driving.

Wish I could say the Maliblue has improved. On the bright side, the car never disappoints us as far as some new or recurring ailment! While the brake problems seem to have vanished over the last year (11,000 miles), I figure that is because here in Seoul we never get over 50 mph due to the horrendous traffic. Maybe constant stop-and-go is the remedy(?)

The AC control head problem is way beyond the abilities of the local GM folks, so I may just order one from the states. There is a customs glitch which plays havoc with importing some warranty repair parts. If I order it on my own no problem, but dealers can't ..go figure.

We are now into the "burning brake light syndrome." The parking garage attendant told me my passenger side brake lights were not working. Upon pulling the assembly, I found that the socket on one of the brake light bulbs had burned completely away.

So first thing tomorrow, I will squeak(due to the noisy, twice-replaced swing arm bushings)down to the GM folks and see if I can get it repaired.

On the bright side, we really do like the car. It is basic transportation with adequate room and nice style.
    I looked at the picture of the Aztek. I'm sorry but it looks like a Focus and Honda CRX (yes the car not the SUV) on steroids. Teh styling is just too busy for me. But to each his own. The price is quite attractive though.
  • garyc8garyc8 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased my 99 Malibu in Aug 99 with 6K miles on it. Rear end bushings replaced at 13K, Coil and 3 spark plug wires at 22K because I was getting about 12 MPG, Brakes and rotors at 28k. At 34K, COMPLETE FRONT END (controller arms, tie rods, mount assembly, strut bearings, adjuster sleeve etc)which took dealer 3 times to fix, on last visit front wheel was almost falling off car because tie rod was not replaced correctly - this was after vehicle was in for the rest of the front end service - so it was not a new problem - ended up having to drive with the service mgr because they would not believe me - said it was my TIRES!!! Which were only 8,000 miles old. Ended up being caused by "poor machining" what ever that means. This week @ 44K miles, check engine light came on for a faulty gas cap and yesterday @ 44K Low coolant light came on - back to the dealer again only to find the cap on the coolant reservoir tank was defective? - unbelievable. I've owned several Cheverolets over the years and have noticed a degradation in quality ever model year.
    I doubt this car will even make it to 75K - thank GOD I bought the extended warranty. I know they are completely different vehicles but My old 1969 Chevy Nova ran flawlessly until I traded in with 232,000 on the odometer!! Why can't they build them like THAT anymore?
  • malibupilotmalibupilot Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 malibu with 12000 miles on it it is a nice car but I get this hesitation at any steady speed every 3 or 4 miles just a little irritating, any ideas?
    So far I have 8000 miles on my 2001 Malibu LS. Never experienced any type of hesistation. check the Impala page. A Couple of people had problems with severe hesitation and they discovered that the computer handling the transmission had to be upgraded (just the program not the entire computer). And that fixed it. It was performed for free. Also I would check www.nhtsa.org under the technical service bulletins to see if there might be something there that fits your problem.
  • dvc1492sdvc1492s Member Posts: 13
    I have a 98 Chevy Malibu which after checking the power steering level this weekend I noticed it being a bit low. The trip to the local auto parts store turned up negative on the purchase of a pint / quart of "power steering fluid". One interesting comment that I received from the attendant was that this unit is Korean made and probably uses "Honda" fluid. There is a listing for "PS" fluid in the Quaker State book but short of going to a GM dealer (just can bring my self to getting dragged over the hot coals), does anyone know if this is true? Any response would be appreciated.

Thanks.
  • artwisartwis Member Posts: 66
    attendant. Check your owners manual for the type of fluid and go to a major car parts place and buy it. The "attendant" you talked to doesn't seem to have much knowledge about cars and parts etc. As I remember power steering fluid is checked after the pump has warmed up as the fluid expands with heat. I can't remember ever having to add any unless the pump was leaking. Also you could just go to your GM dealer and buy some. Don't think they will "drag you over the coals". If you distrust GM that much why do you drive a GM auto?
    It should use regular power steering fluid. Find another attendant, whoever told you it uses "honda" fluid is crazy in the coco. It's just power steering fluid. I don't have my manual with me because I am at work but you will find teh type in the manual. Also just stop by any GM dealer and buy a quart from them, they wont "drag you over the coals" unless you have them put it in and they might charge you for the service but buying fluid...no biggie.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    dvc1492s:

I also have a 98 Malibu. The power steering fluid for the car is available at local Pep Boys.

When buying, I wrote down the GM number for the fluid, from the manual, and looked for the number at fluid bottles. There were several brands of fluids available. Cheap brands cost about $1, the most expensive about $2.50, so it does not matter. Personally, I bought the expensive synthetic blend made by Valvoline.

The car does not use much fluid. I bought the bottle 3 years ago, and probably did not spent even a half of it. So it must be cheap even at dealer.

artwis:

I have to add a bit of the power steering fluid sometimes. Every time when the steering starts squeal. Probably twice a year or so.

No leaks. However, I am parking at a very tight parking garage at work, and have to steer to the limits for about 10 minutes twice a day. You know, the kind of downtown parking garage, converted from an old apartment building. Narrow passages, tight turns, oversold, and packed to the roof. Literally: I am parking mostly on the roof, and sometimes cannot find a place even here.

All of this is taxing the steering, and the hot fluid simply evaporates somewhat. With such a use, I would buy a full-synthetic fluid, if available.
  • driverrdriverr Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm considering buying a 2002 Malibu. I was wondering if anyone here has one and what they think of it? Has anyone else heard anything positive or negative about it? Anyone know where else on the net I can find first-hand reports on the 2002 Malibu?
    Any information would be very much appreciated.
  • this_is_nascarthis_is_nascar Member Posts: 199
    My wife has the 2001 Malibu LS Gold Trim edition and loves it. No issues to date.
  • rinfl0rinfl0 Member Posts: 2
    I own a Malibu 2001 and recently I've noticed a whistling sound from the engine. The pitch of the whistle is proportional to the engine speed (RPM). The sound is very noticeable at low rev levels (1000-2500 RPM), either because at higher engine speeds the engine noise drowns the wistling or because the pitch gets too high
    to be audible.

Is this something I should worry about?

Thanks in advance,

-florin
    I just bought a 2001 LS in July. Have 8200 miles on it and no issues except the small gas tank and tire nioise. Gas tank I can live with esp. since it only cost me $12 to fill the tank. I'll buy different tires when these are done plus I knew before hand that the Firesotne Affinity are average tires at best.

I like the total package of the Malibu. Lots of items on the LS are extras on other cars in the family sedan class. That along with the quiet ride and nice interior space makes it a great bragain. Now it's not as refined as the Accord, Camry or Passat (and now the Altima) but it doesn't cost near as much either. I was willing to sacrifice refinement and pay $3000 less for the Malibu.

Reliability has definitely improved since the first two model years. The only negative thing you can say about the Malibu is the styling is very ordinary or bland. But if I wanted excitement I wouldn't have bought a family sedan. I would have bought BMW or Lexus IS.

My 2 cents.
    If the whistling sound is proportional to engine speed, my guess is the accessory belt probably is the culprit. It most likely needs to be adjusted. I would have them check it out next time you have oyur car serviced. How many miles do you have on your Malibu?
  • rinfl0rinfl0 Member Posts: 2
    >>
    If the whistling sound is proportional to engine speed, my guess is the accessory belt probably is the culprit. It most likely needs to be adjusted. I would have them check it out next time you have oyur car serviced. How many miles do you have on your Malibu?
    <<

It has only 6000 miles.

BTW, the first car I owned was a 4 cyl carburetor
    car, and I recall that when it made a very
    similar sound the cause was the alternator.

florin
    Could be a bad diode in the generator,have it checked out.
  • scathey100scathey100 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Malibu with 56,000 miles. I have the same type of whistling sound. It's louder when you slow down or are stopped. Not really loud but a soft loud(if there is such a thing :) )

My husband believes it might be the alternator. Might he be right?

florin, if you have found out the problem would you please pass it on to me. Thanks.

Thanks

Scathey

-------------------
    I own a Malibu 2001 and recently I've noticed a whistling sound from the engine. The pitch of the whistle is proportional to the engine speed (RPM). The sound is very noticeable at low rev levels (1000-2500 RPM), either because at higher engine speeds the engine noise drowns the wistling or because the pitch gets too high
    to be audible.

Is this something I should worry about?

Thanks in advance,

-florin
    >>
    <<

It has only 6000 miles.

BTW, the first car I owned was a 4 cyl carburetor
    car, and I recall that when it made a very
    similar sound the cause was the alternator.

florin
  • aub789aub789 Member Posts: 19
    Merry Christmas to all! Since my last post of 11-10-01 (fear of intake manifold leak), it happened! Now I'm $700 poorer, but in possession of a 98 LS with replaced brakes, rear light circuit boards, AC head, rear bushings, headlamps, alternator and battery (all in first 50K) and now new manifold seal at 56K. Can anyone tell me what is the next big-ticket repair I need to look for, and how soon? I think this car is doomed to have every problem seen on this board. I am sorely tempted to trade this junk in on a new Camry/Avalon soon, but I like this car when it's not in the shop and I wonder if I have now spent all the money on it that will be needed in the next 10-20K? Any comments from experienced Malibu owners?
  • falcondreamerfalcondreamer Member Posts: 5
    To Aub 789, tell me more about your manifold leak, my 98LS with 37K on it may have the same issue according to my local Firestone mechanic who I trust very much. He said that there are rumors of a recall for this issue but GM is not saying anything. Anybody else know about this?

Also, does anybody know anything about the lawsuit that was filed for the rotor prolems? I had to have my brakes and rotors replaced again after three replacements at the dealer and 2 months after my 3 year warranty expired. The last time I took it in, they did not replace them but smoothed the rotors out.This cost me a small sum of $$ that I would like to get back.

What else should I be looking for to break on the 98ls model?

Thanks

Falcondreamer (yes they stink but I can dream!)
  • adc100adc100 Member Posts: 1,521
    You got some of them. My guess would be the following potential (inevitable) repairs. ECM (Electronic Control Module) $250, EGR Valve $400, Spark Plug Wires (I would change them yesterday, engine mounts (150 each), front struts $250. It's hard to predict the milage but I'm guessing you might have 30K.

falcondreamer: theoretically the manifold leak was due to the silicates used in the old type antifreeze (Not the Dex-Cool) GM , disavows all knowledge or responsibility. I would still pursue it however. You might get lucky.

Good Luck- The Corsicas that I have owned have almost banked-rupted me. I managed to fight through the problems with my '92 as I have mentioned and aub789 have mentioned.

Good luck
  • homerkchomerkc Member Posts: 113
    I bought a new 98 Malibu in late 97 for my wife. She loves the car - the size, storage areas, etc - expecially the dashboard mounted ignition key. From my perspective, it's not a BAD car, but certainly doesn't shine the best light on GM. The front brake rotors were replaced by GM, as were the rear suspension arms (squeaking). The leaking windshield was repaired, eliminating the whistling, and the front console box (wobbling, ready to fall off) was replaced. The paint is vapor thin, so it shows a thousand scratches. AND, the spark plug wires went bad in 2.5 years, as did the battery. BUT, my wife still likes it, it is very fuel efficient and pretty comfortable. I keep thinking that if they put more quality into this car, they would have loyal repeat customers like Honda and Toyota. Hopefully, they will get this right with the launch of the next generation Malibu. By the way, has anyone heard any of the details on that car? Timing? What engines??
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    The next Malibu should be out for either the 2004 or 2005 model year. It will probably have a standard 2.2L 4 cylinder and optional 2.8L and 3.2L DOHC V6's; however, this information has not been confirmed.

There will be a sport hatch version.
  • adc100adc100 Member Posts: 1,521
  • hjr2hjr2 Member Posts: 105
    try a sonata before you go look at camry that cost $6grand more than either Malibu or Sonata.
  • aub789aub789 Member Posts: 19
    To falcondreamer, I first suspected a manifold leak problem when for the first time ever (at 55K )I noticed a slight drop in the coolant level tank. I took the car to the dealer, where the service manager easily showed me where the coolant was leaking onto the engine block, and then gave me the bad news. He also told me that this is a common problem in GM cars, and that his service dept (at a small dealer) routinely does this repair six to eight times per week. I've never heard anything about a recall on this issue, but the service manager did say that the repair would have been covered under the extended warranty had I possessed one. In regards to the brake problems, the dealer replaced my warped rotors at 11K (no charge) and then again at 27K (again no charge). The second time he said he used "heavy-duty rotors" and I have had no further brake problems for 30K, so I guess I can't complain about my treatment. I just want a reliable vehicle! Nevertheless, I like the ride,handling, cabin, and mileage of the car when it runs right, so I'll probably get some new tires(it still has OEM tires with usable tread at 57K) and drive it a while longer. Good luck with yours!
    The mechanic is right about the engine block leak being a "common" problem with GM V6 engines (2.8L-3.8L). As a matter of fact there is a board on Edmunds that discuss this issue. Yes, it would have been covered by your extended warranty but think about it. You would have paid $1200-$1500 for the extended warranty covering only 75,000 miles and the repair cost you $500-$700. So you are still ahead of the game. Unfortuantely you got one of the earlier models that had the "thin" rotors. This problem plagued not only the Malibu but also the Alero, Grand Am, etc. Also The Taurus and Sable also experienced this problem. I guess that's what happens when you try to save money.

So far I have 8500 on my 2001 malibu LS. I am very pleased with my purchase. No problems to report not even a rattle (knock on wood) I also got the "propaganda" for the Official GM Extended warranty. I can get coverage of 5 yr./75,000 miles for a whopping $1250. What a bargain??? Yeah right.

Actually aub789, I would write a letter to the NHTSA and GM regarding this problem. Not a nasty letter but one letting them know about the leak and how you know it is a common problem with these engines. And have them view the discussion board here on Edmunds. I've heard that there may be a recall notice coming about this. If more owners complain about this problem it will promt the NHTSA to launch an investigation. Who knows, it may get you your money back down the road.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    The leak is common for 2.8l, 3.1l, and 3.4l engines, but unusual for 3.8l ones. Different basic design, different materials.
  • taskmastertaskmaster Member Posts: 9
    Do all of the GM mid-size models use the same power steering pump and steering rack? I have driven a Malibu, Grand Am and the Alero.

The Malibu and Alero have a stiffer feel, which I do not like, and the Gran Am has a lighter feel which I prefer. I also noticed these differences in the Cavalier and Sunfire which I thought use the same components.

I prefer the Malibu but not if I have to struggle with the steering. Anybody know technically what's going on and what can be modified, etc?
  • jjpalmerjjpalmer Member Posts: 2
    I recently discovered a funny sound coming from the front on my 99 Malibu LS. It sounded like a humming/clicking sound coming from the front driver's side of the car (around the wheel). This sound increased as the speed increased. I took it to a shop and they could only find that the front passenger side hub/wheel bearings had some play in them. Has anyone else experienced this yet. The mechanics don't know why it causes a sound on the opposite side on the car, and before I drop half a grand to fix something, I want to make sure that it is the problem.
    I have traded my 99 LS which gave me 3 years of trouble free service for a 2002 Trailblazer. I would have kept her but I needed something bigger because of the house. I still read this forum and I will still hang around but I'll be more active in teh TB forum. If anyone is considering the Malibu, go for it, you will not be disapointed! I just wish I could remember the user names of the people who said they wanted to hear what I had to say 3 years later because I would just laugh at them and say...see 3 years and still no issues.
    My first guess is they do have the same components since they share so many others. The difference in feel could be more to do with suspension setup. I know the Grand Am is designed to be sportier (not sure it pulls it off) and the Malibu and Alero (base) a softer feel.
    this may sounds stupid but are you sure the noise is coming from the driver's side??? If you are driving and you hear the noise, you are most likely listening from the driver's side. the noise could easily be from the passenger side.

Is this affecting your driving? I'm assumnig you will have to get the bearings re-packed at some time. I don't see why it should cost you $500 to have the work done. If that is at a dealership, go to a private garage. The malibus are not that complex that only a delaership can work on it.
  • jjpalmerjjpalmer Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for responding.
    I went to a private garage and they determined that it indeed sounded like it was coming from the driver's side, but the wheel with some play was the passenger side. The bearings are actually not replaceable on their own. You have to buy the whole hub piece with has a sensor with it. It is one whole piece. I saw the part on carparts.com for $301. Add in labor and I figure about, at least $400. I'm not sure, I guess I could do it myself. Do you think it would be hard? I've only done basic maintenance/upkeep. Thanks again.
  • njdvls2000njdvls2000 Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys, wanted to know if anyone has had an experience with the engine light staying on? My '98 Mal. has 78000 and I do notice some drag..You have to gun the accel. in order for it to move sometimes...I do remember having the same problem with my '89 Beretta..but after a while, it would stall....My mechanic at first thought it needed a whole tune up..from sparks to air, even cleaned out the gas filter..but after 30 min of driving..you'd see the fule needle dip and then whoalla, the ENGINE light..THANKS FOR READING
  • njdvls2000njdvls2000 Member Posts: 2
    From what I was told by another mechanic, Chevy places Composit Rotors on the Malibu. I remember my car shimmying ( vibrating ) everytime I touched the brake. I wound up buying new rotors and brakes after 10,000 miles. When I had the mechanic speak with dealer on the fon..the dealer was saying that I rode the car too hard..I completely flipped.
    The rotors were a common "problem" the first couple of model years. it also showed up in the Grand AM and Alero as well. They have since re-designed the rotors. I believe they made them thicker. Not too many occurences of this in later model years.

As far as the check engine light, it could be a number of items. Such as oxygen sensor, EGR valve, etc. I would definitely get it checked out. Something is going on in your engine. It sounds like it is developing into a potentially serious situation. But shouldn't cost you and arm and leg.
  • jeriann3jeriann3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, glad to find this great discussion board. We just bought a new 2002 Malibu Base, and is too new to say much, other than we really like it thus far. One thing we can't figure out, or find in the manual and I wonder if someone can shed light on, is there's a small red flashing LED indicator light on the audio panel of the dash that always stays on and flashes even when the car is parked and ignition off ... what they heck can this be!!!
This discussion has been closed.